RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

another question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I found peace with my eating concerns came before any weight adjustments

happened for me. I'm finding that IE is a lot of 'self' processing so that I can

trust and keep my 'fueling' focus on my own body (instead of what I hear told to

me that I ought to do). Its quite a challenge to un-learn habits and practices

that I have come to think of as 'normal' for me. Eating slower, being able to be

aware of satisfaction or even basic fullness really seemed 'odd' at first and

for some time too. But until I could allow myself to feel and decide that FULL

wasn't pleasant and chocolate ad nausea wasn't all that great either, I also

didn't develop a basis for working from those points 'back' until I found a

'comfort' spot. I'm still working on that when it comes to finding a

satisfaction 'stopping' point vs. knowing I've eaten 'enough'. When I get to

where I am sensitive enough, and able to stop, where another bite would be 'too

much', then I suspect that excessive weight will be let go of by my body.

I also found that thinking of IE as a 'feast' that I couldn't gobble down in one

big gulp helped me to 'nibble' on bits and pieces of IE until I could sample and

savor it all.

BEST to you,

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed it.

It really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if you

are truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping when

you're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you WANT

to), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then, would a

person lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

>

> I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with food,

whether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be nice.

I know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight (which

doesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight for

much of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be

obsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my

psychic energy.

>

> But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I just

don't see why.

>

> Tilley

>

Guest guest

Tilley, I think simply put, the amount of food we have stuffed into our bodies (those of us who are larger than we are comfortable with, anyway) isn't the amount of food our bodies truly need and can utilize. Whatever isn't utilized has been stored as excess fat all this time. So it sorta makes sense if you look at it from the body's perspective. Our wonderfully intuitive bodies know exactly what size they should be, (different for every body) and it knows how to get there. It tries to send out signals as to when it needs to be fueled and how much fuel it needs. All we need to do is get back our listening skills and hear/feel what the body has always been trying to tell us. When we stop over fueling it and start listening to it's signals, it will have only what it needs for it's optimum size, not for the bloated size we imposed upon it. Of course the bloated body needs more than the optimum body needs to maintain it's size and when it doesn't get any more than the optimum body needs, it has to burn it's fat reserves to support itself. Eventually those stores would be burned up, ideally, and the body will maintain it's optimum size so long as it receives what it asks for, when it asks. No more, no less. At least that's how I see it.

Sunny

Re: Another question

I found peace with my eating concerns came before any weight adjustments happened for me. I'm finding that IE is a lot of 'self' processing so that I can trust and keep my 'fueling' focus on my own body (instead of what I hear told to me that I ought to do). Its quite a challenge to un-learn habits and practices that I have come to think of as 'normal' for me. Eating slower, being able to be aware of satisfaction or even basic fullness really seemed 'odd' at first and for some time too. But until I could allow myself to feel and decide that FULL wasn't pleasant and chocolate ad nausea wasn't all that great either, I also didn't develop a basis for working from those points 'back' until I found a 'comfort' spot. I'm still working on that when it comes to finding a satisfaction 'stopping' point vs. knowing I've eaten 'enough'. When I get to where I am sensitive enough, and able to stop, where another bite would be 'too much', then I suspect that excessive weight will be let go of by my body.

I also found that thinking of IE as a 'feast' that I couldn't gobble down in one big gulp helped me to 'nibble' on bits and pieces of IE until I could sample and savor it all.

BEST to you, Katcha IEing since March 2007

>

> I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed it. It really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if you are truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping when you're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you WANT to), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then, would a person lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

> > I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with food, whether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be nice. I know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight (which doesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight for much of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be obsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my psychic energy.

> > But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I just don't see why.

> > Tilley

>

------------------------------------

Guest guest

Tilley, I think simply put, the amount of food we have stuffed into our bodies (those of us who are larger than we are comfortable with, anyway) isn't the amount of food our bodies truly need and can utilize. Whatever isn't utilized has been stored as excess fat all this time. So it sorta makes sense if you look at it from the body's perspective. Our wonderfully intuitive bodies know exactly what size they should be, (different for every body) and it knows how to get there. It tries to send out signals as to when it needs to be fueled and how much fuel it needs. All we need to do is get back our listening skills and hear/feel what the body has always been trying to tell us. When we stop over fueling it and start listening to it's signals, it will have only what it needs for it's optimum size, not for the bloated size we imposed upon it. Of course the bloated body needs more than the optimum body needs to maintain it's size and when it doesn't get any more than the optimum body needs, it has to burn it's fat reserves to support itself. Eventually those stores would be burned up, ideally, and the body will maintain it's optimum size so long as it receives what it asks for, when it asks. No more, no less. At least that's how I see it.

Sunny

I found peace with my eating concerns came before any weight adjustments happened for me. I'm finding that IE is a lot of 'self' processing so that I can trust and keep my 'fueling' focus on my own body (instead of what I hear told to me that I ought to do). Its quite a challenge to un-learn habits and practices that I have come to think of as 'normal' for me. Eating slower, being able to be aware of satisfaction or even basic fullness really seemed 'odd' at first and for some time too. But until I could allow myself to feel and decide that FULL wasn't pleasant and chocolate ad nausea wasn't all that great either, I also didn't develop a basis for working from those points 'back' until I found a 'comfort' spot. I'm still working on that when it comes to finding a satisfaction 'stopping' point vs. knowing I've eaten 'enough'. When I get to where I am sensitive enough, and able to stop, where another bite would be 'too much', then I suspect that excessive weight will be let go of by my body.

I also found that thinking of IE as a 'feast' that I couldn't gobble down in one big gulp helped me to 'nibble' on bits and pieces of IE until I could sample and savor it all.

>

> I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed it. It really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if you are truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping when you're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you WANT to), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then, would a person lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

> > I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with food, whether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be nice. I know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight (which doesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight for much of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be obsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my psychic energy.

> > But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I just don't see why.

> > Tilley

>

Guest guest

Sunny

>

> > Tilley

>

Guest guest

>

> t really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if

you

> re truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping when

> ou're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you WANT

> o), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then, would

a

> erson lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

>

> hether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be nice.

> know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight

(which

> oesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight for

> uch of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be

> bsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my

> sychic energy.

>

> But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I

just

> on't see why.

>

> Tilley

>

>

>

> -----------------------------------

>

Guest guest

>

> t really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if

you

> re truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping when

> ou're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you WANT

> o), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then, would

a

> erson lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

>

> hether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be nice.

> know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight

(which

> oesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight for

> uch of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be

> bsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my

> sychic energy.

>

> But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I

just

> on't see why.

>

> Tilley

>

>

>

> -----------------------------------

>

Guest guest

Sorry, cat jumped on keyboard. Enough out of me anyway. Sandarah

> >

> > I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed it.

> > t really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if

you

> > re truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping

when

> > ou're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you

WANT

> > o), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then,

would a

> > erson lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

> >

> > I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with

food,

> > hether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be

nice.

> > know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight

(which

> > oesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight

for

> > uch of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be

> > bsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my

> > sychic energy.

> >

> > But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I

just

> > on't see why.

> >

> > Tilley

> >

> >

> >

> > -----------------------------------

> >

Guest guest

Sorry, cat jumped on keyboard. Enough out of me anyway. Sandarah

> >

> > I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed it.

> > t really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if

you

> > re truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping

when

> > ou're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you

WANT

> > o), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then,

would a

> > erson lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

> >

> > I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with

food,

> > hether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be

nice.

> > know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight

(which

> > oesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight

for

> > uch of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be

> > bsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my

> > sychic energy.

> >

> > But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I

just

> > on't see why.

> >

> > Tilley

> >

> >

> >

> > -----------------------------------

> >

Guest guest

That makes sense.....

> > >

> > > I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed

it.

> > > t really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that

if you

> > > re truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping

when

> > > ou're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you

WANT

> > > o), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then,

would a

> > > erson lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

> > >

> > > I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with

food,

> > > hether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be

nice.

> > > know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight

(which

> > > oesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight

for

> > > uch of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to

be

> > > bsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of

my

> > > sychic energy.

> > >

> > > But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I

just

> > > on't see why.

> > >

> > > Tilley

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > -----------------------------------

> > >

Guest guest

That makes sense.....

> > >

> > > I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed

it.

> > > t really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that

if you

> > > re truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping

when

> > > ou're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you

WANT

> > > o), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then,

would a

> > > erson lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?

> > >

> > > I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with

food,

> > > hether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be

nice.

> > > know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight

(which

> > > oesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight

for

> > > uch of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to

be

> > > bsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of

my

> > > sychic energy.

> > >

> > > But people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I

just

> > > on't see why.

> > >

> > > Tilley

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > -----------------------------------

> > >

Guest guest

Tilley,

I'm no expert on this but I think some bodies naturally intuit, over time and with stable eating (not bingeing nor dieting), that they are not at their ideal weight, and will GRADUALLY trend downwards. I think this typically happens MUCH more slowly than with a diet. And won't happen for every body.

Best,

Abby

Guest guest

Good question, Tilley. I think the reasoning might be that many overeaters are eating an excess of what their bodies need. They are eating for reasons other than physiological hunger. Therefore, a lot of us are steadily (or slowly) gaining weight. IE , although, as you point out, not a weight loss tool per se, might arrest this weight gain by helping to limit non stomach-hunger eating. For me, although I have not been at it for very long, it has stopped my steady weight gain and stabilized me.

There is also a theory that everyone has a weight "set-point." A range where, when eating normally, they would fall into. I think the theory behind that is that your body will give you hunger signals to coordinate with maintaining that set-point weight. So, if you are above your set-point right now, you can get back there by listening to your own body's needs. I am NOT an expert on any of this, just reporting what I've learned through various books and this list.

Mimi

Subject: Another questionTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 6:54 PM

I read and ???'s book Intuitive Eating and really really enjoyed it. It really made a lot of sense to me. But what I don't understand is that if you are truly honoring your body, and eating when you are hungry and stopping when you're no longer hungry, and moving and eating healthy foods (because you WANT to), then aren't you giving your body EXACTLY what it needs? Why, then, would a person lose weight? Wouldn't they stay just the way they were?I'm all for intuitive eating for the PEACE I'm hoping I can attain with food, whether or not I actually lose weight, though losing weight sure would be nice. I know that I can't diet again, and so, if I'm destined to be this weight (which doesn't really seem all that likely, since I maintained a much lower weight for much of my life without any effort at all), then at least I don't have to be obsessed with food and eating and dieting, which takes up way too much of my psychic energy.But

people (books) keep claiming that IE will help you lose weight, and I just don't see why.Tilley

Guest guest

Good answer, Sunny.

Subject: Re: Re: Another questionTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 8:46 PM

Tilley, I think simply put, the amount of food we have stuffed into our bodies (those of us who are larger than we are comfortable with, anyway) isn't the amount of food our bodies truly need and can utilize. Whatever isn't utilized has been stored as excess fat all this time. So it sorta makes sense if you look at it from the body's perspective. Our wonderfully intuitive bodies know exactly what size they should be, (different for every body) and it knows how to get there. It tries to send out signals as to when it needs to be fueled and how much fuel it needs. All we need to do is get back our listening skills and hear/feel what the body has always been trying to tell us. When we stop over fueling it and start listening to it's signals, it will have only what it needs for it's optimum size, not for the bloated size we imposed upon it. Of course the bloated body needs

more than the optimum body needs to maintain it's size and when it doesn't get any more than the optimum body needs, it has to burn it's fat reserves to support itself. Eventually those stores would be burned up, ideally, and the body will maintain it's optimum size so long as it receives what it asks for, when it asks. No more, no less. At least that's how I see it.

Sunny