Dear Wendi, thak you very much for your reply. Yes, before very meal, I

offer my breast to Alberto....but he only accept it in the morning...As for

solid foods...also in Italy we think that it is better to give mummy milk,

instead of giving other foods...but mummy must have a lot of

milk...unfortunately I do not have a lot of milk, because at the beginning I

had bad suggestion from people....so o give breast only 5 or 6 times per

day.....to control how much milk he took and then giving a bottle for the

difference....when Albert was 3 months I met LLL on internet and I saw that

all I did was wrong...but It was too late to improve my production of milk.

So I was able to maintain it by an electric pump and offering the bottle

with my milk..I had to pump 6 time a day to have two bottle of about 170

cc.At the beginning of july I gave up with electric pump because the LLL

consultant told me that I could give up and offer Alberto my breast,

considering that I geban with solid foods....because I had not too much

milk....and then you know the story. By the way even if Alberto does not

want my breast much times per day...I hope that when he grows will ask more

for my breast this is my really hoping.

Sorry for my bad english...have you understood?

Elena

Carolina 29/04/94 Alberto 13/02/00

> P.S.: I know very well LLL....I have also their book...but I cannot find any

> suggestion there.

>

Guest guest

Elena

> P.S.: I know very well LLL....I have also their book...but I cannot find any

> suggestion there.

>

Guest guest

Elena,

How old is your babe? I offered my Ds when he was 3 months old a sippy cup. He wouldn't take a bottle. The sippy cup had to be one that dripped freely though. He now is almost 8 months and can drink from any cup. You do not need to feed BF babes water. Your bm is 90% water or somewhere close to that. My local La Leche League said water is not needed. It can take from the nursing especially if he is little (young).

Offer your breast milk in a cup and don't worry about the bottle. Avent has a great sippy cup that converts from their bottles. As for sucking the breast keep offering it to him. Be persistent and don't give up. Try different holds like the football hold or wear a sling. That may help too. good luck

Laurie

Re: New member intro

DEAR RHONDA, I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN...ALBERTO MAKE HIS POOPING ONCE ADAY AND HE MAKES WETTING AT EACH CHANGE OF NAPPY, I MEAN THAT I FIND NAPPYWET EVERY CHANGE...DURING THE DAY I OFFER HIM MY BREAST OR THE BOTTLE WITHWATER...BUT UNFORTUNATELY MY BREAST IS NOT IN HIS INTEREST AND AS FORWATER...SOMETIMES HE DRINKS SOMETIMES NOT....AND IF I FORCE HIM TO DRINK HERUSH BACK SO NOW I PUT MY HEART IN PEACE (you say the same in USA???) AND IDO NOT FORCE HIM TO DRINK. AT THE SAME TIME, HIS SISTER DRANK MORE THAN HIMBUT WHAT I HAVE TO DO??? HE HATE SUCKING, HE PREFER THE SPOON SO SOMETIMES IGIVE HIM WATR BY A LITTLE SPOON AND HE TAKES BETTER. IF YOU KNOW A WAY TOMAKE BABY SUCKING BREAST OR SUCKING BOTTLE WITH WATER...TELL ME I WOULDDO!!!THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY SUGGESTION!!!ELENAMy > concern is,is that enough liquid for a baby that age? how is his wetting and> pooping habits.> Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Elena,

How old is your babe? I offered my Ds when he was 3 months old a sippy cup. He wouldn't take a bottle. The sippy cup had to be one that dripped freely though. He now is almost 8 months and can drink from any cup. You do not need to feed BF babes water. Your bm is 90% water or somewhere close to that. My local La Leche League said water is not needed. It can take from the nursing especially if he is little (young).

Offer your breast milk in a cup and don't worry about the bottle. Avent has a great sippy cup that converts from their bottles. As for sucking the breast keep offering it to him. Be persistent and don't give up. Try different holds like the football hold or wear a sling. That may help too. good luck

Laurie

DEAR RHONDA, I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN...ALBERTO MAKE HIS POOPING ONCE ADAY AND HE MAKES WETTING AT EACH CHANGE OF NAPPY, I MEAN THAT I FIND NAPPYWET EVERY CHANGE...DURING THE DAY I OFFER HIM MY BREAST OR THE BOTTLE WITHWATER...BUT UNFORTUNATELY MY BREAST IS NOT IN HIS INTEREST AND AS FORWATER...SOMETIMES HE DRINKS SOMETIMES NOT....AND IF I FORCE HIM TO DRINK HERUSH BACK SO NOW I PUT MY HEART IN PEACE (you say the same in USA???) AND IDO NOT FORCE HIM TO DRINK. AT THE SAME TIME, HIS SISTER DRANK MORE THAN HIMBUT WHAT I HAVE TO DO??? HE HATE SUCKING, HE PREFER THE SPOON SO SOMETIMES IGIVE HIM WATR BY A LITTLE SPOON AND HE TAKES BETTER. IF YOU KNOW A WAY TOMAKE BABY SUCKING BREAST OR SUCKING BOTTLE WITH WATER...TELL ME I WOULDDO!!!THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY SUGGESTION!!!ELENAMy > concern is,is that enough liquid for a baby that age? how is his wetting and> pooping habits.> Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Elena,

Laurie

Guest guest

Offer your breast all the time. Feed completely on cue and don't offer a bottle. He may take a while to get back into the groove but he will. Lay down and nurse him and try carrying him in a sling offering your breast frequently. You can get your milk supply up. It is how often he stimulates you not how long. The more often you let him suck the more milk you will produce. Good luck and stay in touch with your local LLL.

Laurie

Dear Wendi, thak you very much for your reply. Yes, before very meal, Ioffer my breast to Alberto....but he only accept it in the morning...As forsolid foods...also in Italy we think that it is better to give mummy milk,instead of giving other foods...but mummy must have a lot ofmilk...unfortunately I do not have a lot of milk, because at the beginning Ihad bad suggestion from people....so o give breast only 5 or 6 times perday.....to control how much milk he took and then giving a bottle for thedifference....when Albert was 3 months I met LLL on internet and I saw thatall I did was wrong...but It was too late to improve my production of milk.So I was able to maintain it by an electric pump and offering the bottlewith my milk..I had to pump 6 time a day to have two bottle of about 170cc.At the beginning of july I gave up with electric pump because the LLLconsultant told me that I could give up and offer Alberto my breast,considering that I geban with solid foods....because I had not too muchmilk....and then you know the story. By the way even if Alberto does notwant my breast much times per day...I hope that when he grows will ask morefor my breast this is my really hoping.Sorry for my bad english...have you understood?ElenaCarolina 29/04/94 Alberto 13/02/00> P.S.: I know very well LLL....I have also their book...but I cannot find any> suggestion there.> Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Offer your breast all the time. Feed completely on cue and don't offer a bottle. He may take a while to get back into the groove but he will. Lay down and nurse him and try carrying him in a sling offering your breast frequently. You can get your milk supply up. It is how often he stimulates you not how long. The more often you let him suck the more milk you will produce. Good luck and stay in touch with your local LLL.

Laurie

Dear Wendi, thak you very much for your reply. Yes, before very meal, Ioffer my breast to Alberto....but he only accept it in the morning...As forsolid foods...also in Italy we think that it is better to give mummy milk,instead of giving other foods...but mummy must have a lot ofmilk...unfortunately I do not have a lot of milk, because at the beginning Ihad bad suggestion from people....so o give breast only 5 or 6 times perday.....to control how much milk he took and then giving a bottle for thedifference....when Albert was 3 months I met LLL on internet and I saw thatall I did was wrong...but It was too late to improve my production of milk.So I was able to maintain it by an electric pump and offering the bottlewith my milk..I had to pump 6 time a day to have two bottle of about 170cc.At the beginning of july I gave up with electric pump because the LLLconsultant told me that I could give up and offer Alberto my breast,considering that I geban with solid foods....because I had not too muchmilk....and then you know the story. By the way even if Alberto does notwant my breast much times per day...I hope that when he grows will ask morefor my breast this is my really hoping.Sorry for my bad english...have you understood?ElenaCarolina 29/04/94 Alberto 13/02/00> P.S.: I know very well LLL....I have also their book...but I cannot find any> suggestion there.> Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!http://www.lactivist.com

Guest guest

Laurie

Guest guest

In a message dated 7/28/00 8:43:10 AM Central Daylight Time,

elena@... writes:

<< GIVE HIM WATR BY A LITTLE SPOON AND HE TAKES BETTER. >>

Elena,

You don't even need to be giving him water. I would give Drake water when I

was introducing the sippy cup (around 5 months I think) just so he had

something in there (he didn't like the idea of breastmilk in his cup) but

breastfed babies do not need to be given water, mommy's milk has plenty! So

you can give up on that battle!!

Take care!

Fawn

Guest guest

elena@... writes:

Elena,

Take care!

Fawn

Guest guest

elena@... writes:

Elena,

Take care!

Fawn

Guest guest

Elena,

I do understand. Unfortunately unless you do things to get him to take the

breast more now he probably won't ask for it more in the future. He needs

to spend time nursing to increase your supply and keep him interested. I am

sorry that you got off to a bad start from bad advice. That can be such a

problem for so many women. Starting off with a limited supply can create

problems, as I am sure you know. I would just keep trying to get him to

nurse as much as possible. Maybe in the bathtub? Just be creative and

offer to nurse him constantly for a bit. Maybe he will start nursing more.

There are also some herbs that you can take to increase supply. I don't

know of their availability in Italy.

Wendi

http://www.lactivist.com

breastfeeding resources and info

Elena

> P.S.: I know very well LLL....I have also their book...but I cannot find

any

> suggestion there.

>

Give the Gift of Life Breastfeed!

Guest guest

Elena,

I do understand. Unfortunately unless you do things to get him to take the

breast more now he probably won't ask for it more in the future. He needs

to spend time nursing to increase your supply and keep him interested. I am

sorry that you got off to a bad start from bad advice. That can be such a

problem for so many women. Starting off with a limited supply can create

problems, as I am sure you know. I would just keep trying to get him to

nurse as much as possible. Maybe in the bathtub? Just be creative and

offer to nurse him constantly for a bit. Maybe he will start nursing more.

There are also some herbs that you can take to increase supply. I don't

know of their availability in Italy.

Wendi

Elena

> P.S.: I know very well LLL....I have also their book...but I cannot find

any

> suggestion there.

>

Guest guest

Elena,

I would consider getting rid of the bottles entirely and give him any

liquids in a cup. This will help to cut down his sucking stimulation away

from your breast and hopefully help him to be more interested in nursing.

Wendi

DEAR RHONDA, I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN...ALBERTO MAKE HIS POOPING ONCE A

DAY AND HE MAKES WETTING AT EACH CHANGE OF NAPPY, I MEAN THAT I FIND NAPPY

WET EVERY CHANGE...DURING THE DAY I OFFER HIM MY BREAST OR THE BOTTLE WITH

WATER...BUT UNFORTUNATELY MY BREAST IS NOT IN HIS INTEREST AND AS FOR

WATER...SOMETIMES HE DRINKS SOMETIMES NOT....AND IF I FORCE HIM TO DRINK HE

RUSH BACK SO NOW I PUT MY HEART IN PEACE (you say the same in USA???) AND I

DO NOT FORCE HIM TO DRINK. AT THE SAME TIME, HIS SISTER DRANK MORE THAN HIM

BUT WHAT I HAVE TO DO??? HE HATE SUCKING, HE PREFER THE SPOON SO SOMETIMES I

GIVE HIM WATR BY A LITTLE SPOON AND HE TAKES BETTER. IF YOU KNOW A WAY TO

MAKE BABY SUCKING BREAST OR SUCKING BOTTLE WITH WATER...TELL ME I WOULD

DO!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY SUGGESTION!!!

ELENA

My

> concern is,is that enough liquid for a baby that age? how is his wetting

and

> pooping habits.

>

Guest guest

Elena,

Wendi

DO!!!

ELENA

My

and

> pooping habits.

>

Guest guest

Elena,

Wendi

DO!!!

ELENA

My

and

> pooping habits.

>

Guest guest

First...welcome:o) Second...does she seem to have trouble breathing?

Your experience seems to be just like what I went through with my second. And he did have trouble breathing. Sadly we only nursed for 6 months. And there wasn't much I could do to help him or the situation. But it did help a little to understand what his problem was.

His trouble was caused by HUGE tonsils and adenoids. I don't know if we could have had them removed that young though.

They have since been removed though and he's a happy healthy 9 year old now:o)

Anyway...you might want to have that checked.

,*************************************************************************************************************************************Gordon B. Hinckley:"The Book of Mormon was written for the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ. There is nothing we can do of greater importance than to have fortified in our individual lives an unshakable conviction that Jesus is the Christ, the living Son of the living God."*************************************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

Your experience seems to be just like what I went through with my second. And he did have trouble breathing. Sadly we only nursed for 6 months. And there wasn't much I could do to help him or the situation. But it did help a little to understand what his problem was.

His trouble was caused by HUGE tonsils and adenoids. I don't know if we could have had them removed that young though.

,*************************************************************************************************************************************Gordon B. Hinckley:"The Book of Mormon was written for the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ. There is nothing we can do of greater importance than to have fortified in our individual lives an unshakable conviction that Jesus is the Christ, the living Son of the living God."*************************************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

Guest guest

You say overactive letdown - so you think she's pulling off because she

gets too much milk right away? Or because she's not getting enough

right away too keep her interest? Either way - maybe pumping first

would help? In the first case to ease the initial rush of milk or in

the latter to get the flow going??

I'm new at this (nursing my first for almost a year now) so this is

just my guess :o)

--- Ross & Henne wrote:

> Hi All!

>

> My name is and I am a SAHM to 20 month old

> and 8 week old Mikayla Joy. I nursed for 7 months and felt

> that it was not long enough. I had a low milk supply and

> supplemented with a bottle and she ended up refusing to nurse. I do

> not want to make that mistake again so I am trying to find a support

> system this time.

>

> I have had trouble nursing Mikayla since she was 2 weeks old and have

> become quite frustrated. She will suck for a few minutes and then

> pulls off and cries. I calm her down and she does the same thing

> over and over. She will suck on her hand so I can tell she is

> hungry. Even when she does have a good nursing session she will

> suck, pull off, suck, pull off. It is driving me up the wall and

> making me sore. I have called LLL and visited my pediatrician and a

> lactation consultant. I have been told it is an overactive letdown

> or reflux. My ped gave me Zantac to give her but it seems to make

> only a little bit of difference. I have tried every trick in the

> book that the LLL leader told me for overactive letdown (pumping

> first, trying different positions, etc) She is gaining well so that

> is not a concern, but when I nurse her it is not the happy experience

> that I hoped for.

>

> Anyone have any ideas?

>

>

> Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00

>

>

=====

Soyster

Owner, Soyster's Baby Boutique

http://babyboutique.safeshopper.com

Guest guest

Hi ,

Two ideas on helping overactive letdown and getting babies to nurse longer...

One, nurse on only one side at any feeding. My daughter frequently pulls off, and she *really* likes for me to be leaning back--reclined or lying on my back--so that gravity works against me. Once she is really settled into her feeding though the pulling off stops. This technique also helped reduce her spitting up problem.

Two, nurse on one breast for a certain time frame, then switch breasts, rather than switching after every feeding. A three hour interval is common. What this does is to give the baby time to work through a series of bigger and smaller let-downs and have the breast be softer for a while.

My was about the same age as Mikayla when we started going through this, and it still happens sometimes. IMO, I would try to nurse in a recliner or leaning against pillows. Also, as Mikayla gets bigger she can handle more milk at once, but your letdown will also ease off a bit. It's so funny for us now, because at some feeds will pull off (and go back on at my offer) two times, then I will feel my let-down and have to offer immediately to prevent spraying the room!!! I must close by saying that really prefers to nurse in the quiet, not on the go (and we have a two-year-old brother in our house!)

Good luck, HTH, and keep in touch. Great people here,

Amy Lynnmother to 1-25-98 and 2-10-00

Guest guest

Hi ,

One, nurse on only one side at any feeding. My daughter frequently pulls off, and she *really* likes for me to be leaning back--reclined or lying on my back--so that gravity works against me. Once she is really settled into her feeding though the pulling off stops. This technique also helped reduce her spitting up problem.

Two, nurse on one breast for a certain time frame, then switch breasts, rather than switching after every feeding. A three hour interval is common. What this does is to give the baby time to work through a series of bigger and smaller let-downs and have the breast be softer for a while.

My was about the same age as Mikayla when we started going through this, and it still happens sometimes. IMO, I would try to nurse in a recliner or leaning against pillows. Also, as Mikayla gets bigger she can handle more milk at once, but your letdown will also ease off a bit. It's so funny for us now, because at some feeds will pull off (and go back on at my offer) two times, then I will feel my let-down and have to offer immediately to prevent spraying the room!!! I must close by saying that really prefers to nurse in the quiet, not on the go (and we have a two-year-old brother in our house!)

Guest guest

Hi ,

Guest guest

Rowan and I had that, he had screaming fits from gas because of all the air he was sucking and an upset tummy from too much foremilk. Have you tried switching sides every three hours? That is, when baby nurses at 9 am offer the right breast, wants to nurse at 10:30 am offer the right, wants to nurse again at 11:45 offer the right, then from noon till 3 pm offer the left and so on? This really helped us and his "over active letdown colic" really settled down. It took less than a week and he was a much happier baby.

Michele, mom of Arran 12-27-93, Keely 12-5-97 & Rowan 3-15-00! ICQ# 13092478Our Family Pages ~ http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jcrocker/index.htmlJoin AllAdvantage.com and get paid to surf the Web! Please use my ID (GJX196) when asked if someone referred you. Thanks! http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=GJX196

Do your eyes light up when your child walks into the room? ~ Toni on

Hi All!

My name is and I am a SAHM to 20 month old and 8 week old Mikayla Joy. I nursed for 7 months and felt that it was not long enough. I had a low milk supply and supplemented with a bottle and she ended up refusing to nurse. I do not want to make that mistake again so I am trying to find a support system this time.

I have had trouble nursing Mikayla since she was 2 weeks old and have become quite frustrated. She will suck for a few minutes and then pulls off and cries. I calm her down and she does the same thing over and over. She will suck on her hand so I can tell she is hungry. Even when she does have a good nursing session she will suck, pull off, suck, pull off. It is driving me up the wall and making me sore. I have called LLL and visited my pediatrician and a lactation consultant. I have been told it is an overactive letdown or reflux. My ped gave me Zantac to give her but it seems to make only a little bit of difference. I have tried every trick in the book that the LLL leader told me for overactive letdown (pumping first, trying different positions, etc) She is gaining well so that is not a concern, but when I nurse her it is not the happy experience that I hoped for.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00

Guest guest

Rowan and I had that, he had screaming fits from gas because of all the air he was sucking and an upset tummy from too much foremilk. Have you tried switching sides every three hours? That is, when baby nurses at 9 am offer the right breast, wants to nurse at 10:30 am offer the right, wants to nurse again at 11:45 offer the right, then from noon till 3 pm offer the left and so on? This really helped us and his "over active letdown colic" really settled down. It took less than a week and he was a much happier baby.

Michele, mom of Arran 12-27-93, Keely 12-5-97 & Rowan 3-15-00! ICQ# 13092478Our Family Pages ~ http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jcrocker/index.htmlJoin AllAdvantage.com and get paid to surf the Web! Please use my ID (GJX196) when asked if someone referred you. Thanks! http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=GJX196

Do your eyes light up when your child walks into the room? ~ Toni on

Hi All!

My name is and I am a SAHM to 20 month old and 8 week old Mikayla Joy. I nursed for 7 months and felt that it was not long enough. I had a low milk supply and supplemented with a bottle and she ended up refusing to nurse. I do not want to make that mistake again so I am trying to find a support system this time.

I have had trouble nursing Mikayla since she was 2 weeks old and have become quite frustrated. She will suck for a few minutes and then pulls off and cries. I calm her down and she does the same thing over and over. She will suck on her hand so I can tell she is hungry. Even when she does have a good nursing session she will suck, pull off, suck, pull off. It is driving me up the wall and making me sore. I have called LLL and visited my pediatrician and a lactation consultant. I have been told it is an overactive letdown or reflux. My ped gave me Zantac to give her but it seems to make only a little bit of difference. I have tried every trick in the book that the LLL leader told me for overactive letdown (pumping first, trying different positions, etc) She is gaining well so that is not a concern, but when I nurse her it is not the happy experience that I hoped for.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mom to 12/10/98 and Mikayla 6/22/00