Guest guest

dry eyes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I like much of what Bruce Fife has to say, but I feel he is way off

base on flaxseed oil. I use 1-tablespoons of flaxseed oil daily. When I

used flaxseed oil, I had to struggle to keep taking it because it was so

yucky. Now I use it in salad dressing mixed with coconut oil. It is

yummy. The " stories " about how fragile the oil is have (in my opinion)

little basis in fact.

Alobar

Re: Re: dry eyes

> Please read Bruce Fife on flaxseed oil. Then, throw it out and eat

> flaxseed. Spectrum makes a fantastic ground flaxseed which is protected

> from oxidation from the moment of grinding. After opening, I freeze it;

> remove it from its package, cook it and eat it.

>

> Nina

>

Guest guest

If you actually want to get better, take 25,000 IU of vitamin A a day.

Skip the carotene.

If you don't, do all the other silly stuff.

Andy

> http://www.supervisioncenter.com/serv_dry_eye_treatment.htm

>

> Potassium - is usually very low in dry eye patients. This is

usually found in conjunction with low consumption of folic acid,

vitamins C and B6, and high consumption of sugar. Increase your

potassium intake to at least 500mg/day by consuming more fruits and

vegetables (one banana contains 400mg).

>

>

Guest guest

I have been taking Iodoral for about three weeks now and am taking 25mg./day. I am also on 3 grs. (180 mg. of Armour) daily as well. I take no other medicines. I supplement daytime with: Adren-Plus (adrenal support), 5-HTP, and CO-Q10. Night time I take the Iodoral, Gaba, Magnesium, and a B-50 B complex. The only thing I've noticed that correlates with the Iodoral is I have EXTREMELY dry eyes in the morning now. Have any of you experienced this? If not, any guesses why the change? I've always had less than desirable moisture content in my eyes, but nothing like this. This morning upon awakening, my eyes acutally HURT to try to move them. It was a bit frightening. SO, I will go buy some OTC moisture drops, but I am one, as I'm sure many of you are, a cause and effect type person. To treat the effect is ok, TEMPORARILY, but I want to know the

cause and treat that. Thank you for your ideas on this. Michigan

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Guest guest

,I have been having this same problem with the addition of Armour back into my regime.  I had noticed a good effect in taking iodine with my dry eye problem, in fact had reduced significantly the number of times I had to use eye drops.  I am up to 1 1/2 grains of Armour now and the dry eyes are back.  LinnOn Aug 17, 2006, at 10:19 AM, Z wrote:I have been taking Iodoral for about three weeks now and am taking 25mg./day.  I am also on 3 grs. (180 mg. of Armour) daily as well. I take no other medicines.  I supplement daytime with: Adren-Plus (adrenal support), 5-HTP, and CO-Q10.  Night time I take the Iodoral, Gaba, Magnesium, and a B-50 B complex.  The only thing I've noticed that correlates with the Iodoral is I have EXTREMELYdry eyes in the morning now.  Have any of you experienced this? If not, any guesseswhy the change?  I've always had less than desirable moisture content in my eyes, but nothing like this.  This morning upon awakening, my eyes acutally HURT to try to move them.  It was a bit frightening.  SO, I will go buy some OTC moisture drops, but I am one, as I'm sure many of you are, a cause and effect  type person.  To treat the effect is ok, TEMPORARILY, but I want ! to know the cause and treat that. Thank you for your ideas on this.  Michigan. 

Guest guest

I had a similar dry eye problem a few months back. I tried everything, but got increasingly worried. Even went to an ophthalmologist, who checked me out, said there was no problem, and told me to just use the drops. Then, I happened to have a blood test that showed my free T3 was a bit high, so I cut down a bit on my Armour. Within a couple days, my eyes were back to normal. So, I definitely suspect the Armour.

Now, I am taking HC and am starting to experiment with increasing the Armour again. I will definitely be watching for the dry eye thing.

I've been taking Iodoral at 100 mg for almost 20 days now, and no sign of an increase in dry eye.

Zoe

I have been taking Iodoral for about three weeks now and am taking 25mg./day. I am also on 3 grs. (180 mg. of Armour) daily as well. I take no other medicines. I supplement daytime with: Adren-Plus (adrenal support), 5-HTP, and CO-Q10. Night time I take the Iodoral, Gaba, Magnesium, and a B-50 B complex.

The only thing I've noticed that correlates with the Iodoral is I have EXTREMELY

dry eyes in the morning now. Have any of you experienced this? If not, any guesses

why the change? I've always had less than desirable moisture content in my eyes, but nothing like this. This morning upon awakening, my eyes acutally HURT to try to move them. It was a bit frightening. SO, I will go buy some OTC moisture drops, but I am one, as I'm sure many of you are, a cause and effect type person. To treat the effect is ok, TEMPORARILY, but I want to know the cause and treat that.

Thank you for your ideas on this.

Michigan

Guest guest

One of you seems to be attributing dry eyes to iodine,

the other to Armour. I am not sure why. I do not

recall dry eyes being a symptom for either substance.

I have read that dry eye is symptomatic of stomach

problems.

Abbe

--- Linn <linnmiller@...> wrote:

> ,

>

> I have been having this same problem with the

> addition of Armour back

> into my regime. I had noticed a good effect in

> taking iodine with my

> dry eye problem, in fact had reduced significantly

> the number of

> times I had to use eye drops. I am up to 1 1/2

> grains of Armour now

> and the dry eyes are back.

>

> Linn

>

> On Aug 17, 2006, at 10:19 AM, Z wrote:

>

> >

> >

> >

> > I have been taking Iodoral for about three weeks

> now and am taking

> > 25mg./day. I am also on 3 grs. (180 mg. of

> Armour) daily as well.

> > I take no other medicines. I supplement daytime

> with: Adren-Plus

> > (adrenal support), 5-HTP, and CO-Q10. Night time

> I take the

> > Iodoral, Gaba, Magnesium, and a B-50 B complex.

> >

> > The only thing I've noticed that correlates with

> the Iodoral is I

> > have EXTREMELY

> > dry eyes in the morning now. Have any of you

> experienced this? If

> > not, any guesses

> > why the change? I've always had less than

> desirable moisture

> > content in my eyes, but nothing like this. This

> morning upon

> > awakening, my eyes acutally HURT to try to move

> them. It was a bit

> > frightening. SO, I will go buy some OTC moisture

> drops, but I am

> > one, as I'm sure many of you are, a cause and

> effect type person.

> > To treat the effect is ok, TEMPORARILY, but I want

> ! to know the

> > cause and treat that.

> >

> > Thank you for your ideas on this.

> >

> > Michigan

> > .

> >

> >

>

>

Guest guest

>From: Abbe <abbe_online@...>

>One of you seems to be attributing dry eyes to iodine,

>the other to Armour. I am not sure why. I do not

>recall dry eyes being a symptom for either substance.

>I have read that dry eye is symptomatic of stomach

>problems.

It is a known symptom of hypothyroidism, and maybe hyperthyroidism.

This could be one reason -

http://www.visionworksusa.com/dryeyes.htm

Hypothyroid patients - people with underactive thyroids - are always vitamin

A deficient. They cannot convert beta-carotene to vitamin A, nor can they

convert vitamin A to the form usable by the eyes. One way to check this

yourself is to take your temperature under your arm when you wake up in the

morning, but before you get out of bed. If it is regularly below 97.8 F

degrees , you might have any underactive thyroid.

# Vitamin B6: All of the B vitamins are important in treating dry eyes, but

vitamin B6 aids in the proper absorption of magnesium. Magnesium helps the

body produce a hormone called prostaglandin E-7, which is necessary for tear

production.

# Vitamin C: Vitamin C is concentrated in the tear film to a higher level

than that found in the blood.

# Potassium: Probably the most important mineral for dry eye symptoms,

potassium is usually very low in dry eye patients. This is usually linked to

low intakes of folic acid, vitamin C and vitamin B6 along with high sugar

consumption. You can take in at least 500 mg per day by increasing your

consumption of fruits and vegetables (one banana contains 400 mg).

# Essential Fatty Acids: These are important for the production of both the

oily, lipid and the watery aqueous layers of the tear film. After only ten

days of taking essential fatty acids plus vitamins B6 and vitamin C, dry eye

sufferers have seen an increase in tear production.

Skipper

On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to

get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement

Guest guest

thank you for your post Skipper...I cut out bananas, (calories) and was tested low in potassium. I also ceased my regime of EFAs....just taking so many supplements. Gonna try adding them back. See what happens. But once we are using Armour, the hyponess should be not a problem with conversion of beta carotene, vitamin A, etc., I would think??? Michigan Skipper Beers <lsb149@...> wrote: >From:

Abbe <abbe_online >>One of you seems to be attributing dry eyes to iodine,>the other to Armour. I am not sure why. I do not>recall dry eyes being a symptom for either substance.>I have read that dry eye is symptomatic of stomach>problems.It is a known symptom of hypothyroidism, and maybe hyperthyroidism.This could be one reason -http://www.visionworksusa.com/dryeyes.htmHypothyroid patients - people with underactive thyroids - are always vitamin A deficient. They cannot convert beta-carotene to vitamin A, nor can they convert vitamin A to the form usable by the eyes. One way to check this yourself is to take your temperature under your arm when you wake up in the morning, but before you get out of bed. If it is regularly below 97.8 F degrees , you might have

any underactive thyroid.# Vitamin B6: All of the B vitamins are important in treating dry eyes, but vitamin B6 aids in the proper absorption of magnesium. Magnesium helps the body produce a hormone called prostaglandin E-7, which is necessary for tear production.# Vitamin C: Vitamin C is concentrated in the tear film to a higher level than that found in the blood.# Potassium: Probably the most important mineral for dry eye symptoms, potassium is usually very low in dry eye patients. This is usually linked to low intakes of folic acid, vitamin C and vitamin B6 along with high sugar consumption. You can take in at least 500 mg per day by increasing your consumption of fruits and vegetables (one banana contains 400 mg).# Essential Fatty Acids: These are important for the production of both the oily, lipid and the watery aqueous layers of the tear film. After only ten days of taking essential fatty acids plus vitamins

B6 and vitamin C, dry eye sufferers have seen an increase in tear production.Skipper__________________________________________________________On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new .com. Check it out.

Guest guest

>From: Z <perennialgardener2003@...>

>thank you for your post Skipper...I cut out bananas, (calories) and was

>tested low in potassium. I also ceased my regime of EFAs....just taking

>so many supplements.

The potassium content of bannannas is thought of too highly. Potatoes have

more potassium, and don't nearly all plant foods have it?

http://www.fpnotebook.com/REN108.htm

# Foods with highest potassium content (>25 meq/3.5 ounces)

1. Figs

2. Molasses

3. Seaweed

Do you mean your potassium was actually below the normal range? Usually the

range is 3.5--5.5.

If you don't have a poor diet, I would ask the reasons behind that. High

cortisol levels cause decreased potassium. So can some diruetics and other

medications.

How severe is your hypokalemia (low potassium)?

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic273.htm

Hypokalemia is defined as a potassium level less than 3.5 mEq/L.

Moderate hypokalemia is a serum level of 2.5-3 mEq/L.

Severe hypokalemia is defined as a level less than 2.5 mEq/L.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is high in potassium. There are links to DC

Jarvis' work on the Iodine home page, and one of the things he wrote about

was " The Usefulness of Potassium. "

An old Vermont Folk Remedy (Jarvis wrote Vermont Folk Medicine), was to put

a teaspoon or two of Apple Cider Vinegar, an equal amount of honey, and a

drop or two of Lugol's Solution. He suggested taking this with meals. This

concoction has plenty of potassium. (Some say it is only effective with raw

honey from the heath food store as well as organic ACV.)

Honey is high in potassium

ACV is high in potassium

Lugol's Solution has potassium iodide.

> Gonna try adding them back. See what happens. But once we are using

>Armour, the hyponess should be not a problem with conversion of beta

>carotene, vitamin A, etc., I would think???

When did you cut out the fish oil, as that's high in vitamin A and DHA, and

EFA all good for the eyes? (In Michigan, it should be Cod Liver Oil, not

fish oil as even in summer it's hard to get adequate Vitamin D.)

With thyroid replacement you should be able to convert beta carotene into

Vitamin A. Some hypos turn yellow because they can't do it. Real Vitamin A

that doesn't have to be converted comes from meat, especially liver. Plant

foods only have beta carotene, they do not have real vitamin A.

Skipper

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee®

Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

Guest guest

<<<<Do you mean your potassium was actually below the normal range? Usually the range is 3.5--5.5.If you don't have a poor diet, I would ask the reasons behind that. High cortisol levels cause decreased potassium. So can some diruetics and other medications. How severe is your hypokalemia (low potassium)?>>>> My potassium level was 3.3 in a range of 3.5-5.5 I am taking Iodoral...it has iodine/potassium Iodide but I think that potassium is used for the efficiency of the iodine, no? Not using any diuretics or medicines except for what was stated originally, Armour, Iodoral. Am taking a saliva collection currently...will be testing sex hormones, cortisol, and DHEA. I previously took a serum cortisol test, it was right in the middle of normal and a urine cortisol test

with same results. I think I will find I am deficient in cortisol with this saliva test. If I take a potassium supplement, any recommendations as too a good one? Thank you, Michigan. and why the cod liver oil as opposed to the fish oil EFA?

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

From that info then I could very well attribute the extra magnesium and additional flax seed oil for the increase in moisture in my eyes along with the iodine.  Hard to tell which as I started them all about the same time.LinnOn Aug 17, 2006, at 7:13 PM, Skipper Beers wrote:>From: Abbe <abbe_online >>One of you seems to be attributing dry eyes to iodine,>the other to Armour. I am not sure why. I do not>recall dry eyes being a symptom for either substance.>I have read that dry eye is symptomatic of stomach>problems.It is a known symptom of hypothyroidism, and maybe hyperthyroidism.This could be one reason -http://www.visionworksusa.com/dryeyes.htmHypothyroid patients - people with underactive thyroids - are always vitamin A deficient. They cannot convert beta-carotene to vitamin A, nor can they convert vitamin A to the form usable by the eyes. One way to check this yourself is to take your temperature under your arm when you wake up in the morning, but before you get out of bed. If it is regularly below 97.8 F degrees , you might have any underactive thyroid.# Vitamin B6: All of the B vitamins are important in treating dry eyes, but vitamin B6 aids in the proper absorption of magnesium. Magnesium helps the body produce a hormone called prostaglandin E-7, which is necessary for tear production.# Vitamin C: Vitamin C is concentrated in the tear film to a higher level than that found in the blood.# Potassium: Probably the most important mineral for dry eye symptoms, potassium is usually very low in dry eye patients. This is usually linked to low intakes of folic acid, vitamin C and vitamin B6 along with high sugar consumption. You can take in at least 500 mg per day by increasing your consumption of fruits and vegetables (one banana contains 400 mg).# Essential Fatty Acids: These are important for the production of both the oily, lipid and the watery aqueous layers of the tear film. After only ten days of taking essential fatty acids plus vitamins B6 and vitamin C, dry eye sufferers have seen an increase in tear production.Skipper 

Guest guest

Interesting. It is difficult to determine cause. However, it does seem likely that iodine could be increasing the moisture in the eyes since it is known to accumulate in the eyes and is known to increase saliva/moisture.

I guess it may depend on what was creating the dry eye in the first place: iodine deficiency, magnesium deficiency, EFA deficiency, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Zoe

From that info then I could very well attribute the extra magnesium and additional flax seed oil for the increase in moisture in my eyes along with the iodine. Hard to tell which as I started them all about the same time.

Linn

Guest guest

Thyroid is directly connected to the eyes, and one of the most common side effects of hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) is bulging eyes and other eye problems.

Therefore, it seems possible to me that too much T3 (in someone who is normally hypothyroid and supplementing with hormones) could result in eye problems.

Zoe

Guest guest

> I am taking Iodoral...it has iodine/potassium Iodide

> but I think that potassium is used for the efficiency of the iodine, no?

True, I don't know if that would help increase potassium levels or not.

> I think I will find I am deficient in cortisol with this saliva test.

Maybe, it is quite common in hypothyroidism.

However, cortisol typically helps you retain more sodium, which means less

potassium when cortisolis high. So, those with low adrenals are more

likely to have low sodium, not low potassium. The low sodium is part of the

reason that if the cortisol is really low, one is likely to have a problem

with frequent urination. Fluids don't seem to hydrate you because there's

not enough sodium to hold onto the fluids. (See all the commercials about

having to run to the bathroom all the time, and their cure? I wonder how

many of those people have low cortisol. With men that can be caused by

prostate issues, but in women if it's not low cortisol, I'm sure there's

another problem they're not addressing.)

I should have asked how's your sodium level? With low potassium, I would

expect that to be elevated. Those with low adrenals tend to crave salt,

because they don't have enough sodium.

Is your aldosterone level being tested? That also is an important factor in

sodium/potassium balance.

>

> If I take a potassium supplement, any recommendations as too a good one?

> Thank you,

I think they're limited to 100 mg or something really low. Is your diet

lacking in potassium? I'm not aware of any good diet that's lacking in

potassium.

I would recommend taking a teaspoon of raw honey, a teaspoon of organic

Apple Cider Vinegar and a drop or two of Lugol's Solution in a glass of

water. If you're taking Iodoral, unless you care about the taste and the

precise measure as opposed to the accuracy of a dropper, it's likely to be

just as effective and a lot cheaper. Isn't Iodoral $30 a month, and an

ounce of Lugol's which costs about $10 is probably going to last many

months. Maybe even a whole year.

> and why the cod liver oil as opposed to the fish oil EFA?

It's for the Vitamin D. If you get a lot of sun in the summer, you may not

need it then. That's assuming you don't use SPF protection as that inhibits

Vitamin D production. I spent about an hour a day outside in the summer sun

in Michigan and tested my Vitamin D and it was still low.

Everybody in Michigan needs more Vitamin D in the winter.

Vitamin D is extremely important to health, it fights cancer, inflammation,

infection. Mercola has a lot of Vitamin D info on his website, as well as

information of the best test to get for it.

Do you know that Vitamin D is made from cholesterol?

How is your cholesterol, as low or high can be a factor in adrenal problems?

Without the sun, there is no life on earth. Plants need it's energy, and so

do we. Those who have tried to scare us away from the natural sun are not

good people to listen to. (Doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful about

sunburns, but the sun is important to all life on this planet.

Skipper

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!

http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Guest guest

>From: " Zoe & " <ZOEA@...>

>Thyroid is directly connected to the eyes, and one of the most common side

>effects of hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone) is bulging eyes and

>other eye problems.

>

>Therefore, it seems possible to me that too much T3 (in someone who is

>normally hypothyroid and supplementing with hormones) could result in eye

>problems.

Low thyroid does cause dry eyes. Shomon talked a lot about this on her

site.

Hyperthyroidism may cause dry eyes for other reasons, so if T3 is too high

that might explain that.

The reason that hyperthyroidism is associated with bulging eyes doesn't have

to do with the T3, but an antibody that affects the eyes. That's why in

rare cases those with low thyroid can also get " Grave's Eye Disease " which

causes the bulge. The bulging is not directly related to T3, but to

antibodies.

Skipper

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!

http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Guest guest

Thanks, Skipper.

Do you have a link for dry eyes and Shomon? I could find the stuff on Sjogren's Syndrome, but not the page on low thyroid and dry eyes.

Could you detail specifically how the antibody (which antibody) affects the eyes?

I don't understand this sentence: "Hyperthyroidism may cause dry eyes for other reasons, so if T3 is too high that might explain that."

Thanks.

Zoe

Low thyroid does cause dry eyes. Shomon talked a lot about this on her site.Hyperthyroidism may cause dry eyes for other reasons, so if T3 is too high that might explain that.The reason that hyperthyroidism is associated with bulging eyes doesn't have to do with the T3, but an antibody that affects the eyes. That's why in rare cases those with low thyroid can also get "Grave's Eye Disease" which causes the bulge. The bulging is not directly related to T3, but to antibodies.Skipper

Guest guest

>From: " Zoe & " <ZOEA@...>

>Thanks, Skipper.

>

>Do you have a link for dry eyes and Shomon? I could find the stuff on

>Sjogren's Syndrome, but not the page on low thyroid and dry eyes.

http://thyroid.about.com/b/a/212231.htm

" More than eight million people in the United States suffer from dry eye

syndrome, and thyroid patients are at a greater risk than average. "

There's one link. Kind of hard to find any, but I remember a few years back

she spent a lot of time on it, and I think recommended " Bionic Tears " , if I

remember correctly. I tried it, didn't help me. One day I picked up the

cheapest eye drops I could find at Rite Aid (I think Rite Aid Extra) and

found them to be helpful, as they didn't seem to bother my eyes, and felt

like they were adding to the moisture instead of putting some kind of

" lubricating " film on my eyes.

I don't need the eye drops much any more, I do occasionally use an Apple

Cider Vinegar and water home remedy for my eyes, to wash out allergens.

But, the dry eye is going to be a lot more common in hypos, and unless she

deletes content on her website,there should be a lot more info on 's

site.

Cod Liver Oil, is one of the best things for your eyes probably, as it has

Vitamin A, good fat the eyes need and DHA.

>

>Could you detail specifically how the antibody (which antibody) affects the

>eyes?

I guess not easily, but I could find it's an automimmune disease which

doesn't require hyperthyroidism to have. Three references for that, and the

third tells antibodies may be involved -

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/relatedconditions/a/eyedisease.htm

" There are many different names you might find for the autoimmune eye

condition that is often seen with thyroid disease, including:

* Thyroid Eye Disease, sometimes abbreviated as TED

* Graves' Opthamolopathy

* Thyroid-associated orbitopathy (TAO)

* Grave's orbitopathy

Thyroid Eye Disease is an autoimmune eye condition that, while separate from

thyroid disease, is often seen in conjunction with Graves' Disease. The

condition, however, is seen in people with no other evidence of thyroid

dysfunction, and occasionally in patients who have Hashimoto's Disease. Most

thyroid patients, however, will not develop thyroid eye disease, and if so,

only mildly so. "

http://www.uic.edu/com/eye/LearningAboutVision/EyeFacts/ThyroidEyeDisease.shtml

" The combination of thyroid dysfunction and eye changes is called Graves’

disease or thyroid eye disease. The eye symptoms usually appear when thyroid

hormone levels are too high but can occur when these levels are normal or

below normal. "

http://www.ithyroid.com/thyroid_eye_disease.htm

Interestingly, Graves' patients are not the only ones which get TED and

pretibial myxedema. People with Hashimoto's thyroiditis also get it and

even some people who don't have obvious thyroid dysfunction may get it.

Scientists don't know for sure what causes this fibroblast growth, but

studies show that the immune system seems to be involved. Immune system

agents called immunoglobins seem to stimulate the growth of the fibroblasts.

The same antibodies that seem to cause Graves' and Hashimoto's seem to be

the ones involved.

>I don't understand this sentence: " Hyperthyroidism may cause dry eyes for

>other reasons, so if T3 is too high

>that might explain that. "

I don't know anything specific in that regard. If hypothyroidism can cause

dry eyes, it's likely hyperthyroidism can too, maybe by elevating body temp.

You were thinking elevated T3 is what was causing your eyes to be dry,and

it is likely to be a possibility.

Skipper

Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

Guest guest

>My sodium and potassium levels were all both last serum test.

>

> Sodium 134 in range of 135-145

> Potassium 3.3 in range of 3.5-5.0

That's kind of strange. You're not on a salt and potassium free diet are

you?

The adrenal hormones cortisol and aldosterone both cause retention of sodium

and excretion of potassium, so if those were low, I would expect potassium

to be high.

Your adrenal saliva tests should be interesting, but I'm wondering what

could cause both electrolytes to be low.

>

>My cholesterol levels are high as are many with hypothyroid problems. The

>last total cholesterol serum test was 200 in a range of 0-299.

I suppose a doctor might be happy to medicate that cholesterol level. Dr.

Mercola claims 200 is about what it should be -

http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/low_cholesterol.htm

" It is encouraging to find some evidence (although not yet published) that

shows that low cholesterol is a problem. I believe the optimum cholesterol

is about 200. Levels below 180 appear to be a problem. Levels under 150 are

a major dilemma. I am an expert in low cholesterol as my levels have been as

low as 85. "

You know, only 10% of the population are below 180. My cholestero is 110.

What's your triglyceride level? Did you know that total cholesterol is

HDL+LDL+20% of the triglycerides? Triglycerides are elevated by excessive

sugar. (Especially soda.)

One way to lower cholesterol, is to simply go out in the sun, which turns

cholesterol into Vitamin D. (Maybe part of the cholesterol " epidemic " is

because we stay inside too much?) Only enough sun in Michigan for that

about 3 months.

Skipper

Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

Guest guest

Thank you first of all for your perspective on this. I will post when I get my saliva cortisol results back. Very interesting on the cholesterol level of 200 being ideal. I mistakenly typed the range, it is actually 0-199. So, according to the lab ranges I am high, so stated on report. My new D.O. who specializes in hormones, said about my cholesterol, hmmm, thats not a problem. : ) My triglycerides, which he turned to next, is 84 in a range of 35-249. He raised his eyebrows and said thats great. SO, whatever that means. I am not a blood lipid expert,.....yet, lol. No, I was not on a sodium or potassium restricted diet. I actually eat very very healthy. I'm known as a health nut/fiber expert at work. Even though I am still 20+ pounds over my healthy weight. I have a lab test that states a AST and ALT I thought those were to do with the liver

functions. The one isnt aldosterone is it? Because the ALT was low 15 in a range of 19-60. I thought it was a liver/hepatic enzyme production test and low was good. ???? Thanks again, Michigan p.s. where are you at Skipper? Skipper Beers <lsb149@...> wrote: >From: Z >My sodium and potassium levels were all both last serum test.>> Sodium 134 in range of 135-145> Potassium 3.3 in range of 3.5-5.0That's kind of strange. You're not on a salt and potassium free diet are you?The adrenal hormones cortisol and aldosterone both cause retention of sodium and excretion of potassium, so if those were low, I would expect potassium

to be high.Your adrenal saliva tests should be interesting, but I'm wondering what could cause both electrolytes to be low.>>My cholesterol levels are high as are many with hypothyroid problems. The >last total cholesterol serum test was 200 in a range of 0-299.I suppose a doctor might be happy to medicate that cholesterol level. Dr. Mercola claims 200 is about what it should be -http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/low_cholesterol.htm" It is encouraging to find some evidence (although not yet published) that shows that low cholesterol is a problem. I believe the optimum cholesterol is about 200. Levels below 180 appear to be a problem. Levels under 150 are a major dilemma. I am an expert in low cholesterol as my levels have been as low as 85."You know, only 10% of the population are below 180. My cholestero is 110.What's your triglyceride level? Did you know that total cholesterol

is HDL+LDL+20% of the triglycerides? Triglycerides are elevated by excessive sugar. (Especially soda.)One way to lower cholesterol, is to simply go out in the sun, which turns cholesterol into Vitamin D. (Maybe part of the cholesterol "epidemic" is because we stay inside too much?) Only enough sun in Michigan for that about 3 months.Skipper_________________________________________________________________Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/Iodine

Guest guest

>Thank you first of all for your perspective on this. I will post when I get

>my saliva cortisol results back.

My triglycerides, which he turned to next, is 84 in a range of 35-249.

> He raised his eyebrows and said thats great. SO, whatever that means.

It means you don't eat an excessive amount of carbs, or high fructose corn

syrup (soda).

>I have a lab test that states a AST and ALT I thought those were to do

>with the liver functions. >The one isnt aldosterone is it?

No, you're right it's liver function and I'm not aware of problems when it's

low.

> Michigan

> p.s. where are you at Skipper?

Battle Creek.

Skipper

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee®

Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

Guest guest

>

> Could you detail specifically how the antibody (which antibody)

affects the eyes?

Ridha Arem, MD in the " Thyroid Solution " has a chapter on Thyroid Eye

Disease.

He says it's from antibodies that attack the eye muscles and structure

around the eyes. He says it's actually from thyroid antibodies,

because the structure of the thyroid and the eye muscles are similar,

and that's why they are attacked.

He also says it's not just those with Grave's hyperthyroidism, but

also some who have Hashimito's and normal or below normal thyroid

function.

Skipper

Guest guest

I have been hyper 2X, that is why half of my thyroid gland was hacked out. TSH test just introduced then (1970). I am sure I needed cortisol and iodine. High T3 in blood just wasn't getting into cells IMO.

gracia

Thanks, Skipper.

Do you have a link for dry eyes and Shomon? I could find the stuff on Sjogren's Syndrome, but not the page on low thyroid and dry eyes.

Could you detail specifically how the antibody (which antibody) affects the eyes?

I don't understand this sentence: "Hyperthyroidism may cause dry eyes for other reasons, so if T3 is too high that might explain that."

Thanks.

Zoe

Low thyroid does cause dry eyes. Shomon talked a lot about this on her site.Hyperthyroidism may cause dry eyes for other reasons, so if T3 is too high that might explain that.The reason that hyperthyroidism is associated with bulging eyes doesn't have to do with the T3, but an antibody that affects the eyes. That's why in rare cases those with low thyroid can also get "Grave's Eye Disease" which causes the bulge. The bulging is not directly related to T3, but to antibodies.Skipper

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.2/422 - Release Date: 8/17/2006

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.3/423 - Release Date: 8/18/2006

Guest guest

>

You are not to alternative for me . I have a moonstone pendulum

sitting in my office desk. I did not know you could use it for dry

eyes though not that i suffer with that. Mine has no blue in it

though.

Sally