Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

, I am going to jump in here because I have seen it happen to

me. High Cholestrol is a symptom or thyroid probs. Many docs don't

recognize it as such.

Anyway, I don't have the documentation to back it up, I have read

it and have heard it here on the group, that Armour Thyroid (the

natural thyroid replacement) will actually lower your cholesterol.

In the span of maybe six months...mine dropped 50-60 points after

starting Armour.

HTH,

Kat

> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a little

overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*

>

> I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She

said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The

only numbers she had were the TSH and my Cholesterol.

>

> TSH - 11.50 UGH

>

> Cholesterol - 280 DOUBLE UGH

>

> Bad Cholesterol - 211 TRIPLE UGH

>

> She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really disappointing

part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said

we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She

also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said

75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time?

She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment.

VERY disappointing.

>

> She's also got me taking 20mg of Lipitor for the cholesterol.

>

> Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health

Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way,

anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in July

and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at

midnight.

>

> I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything

else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I

don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just

get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.

>

> Ughhhhh...my head is swimming.

>

> Thanks for listening,

>

>

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

, I am going to jump in here because I have seen it happen to

me. High Cholestrol is a symptom or thyroid probs. Many docs don't

recognize it as such.

Anyway, I don't have the documentation to back it up, I have read

it and have heard it here on the group, that Armour Thyroid (the

natural thyroid replacement) will actually lower your cholesterol.

In the span of maybe six months...mine dropped 50-60 points after

starting Armour.

HTH,

Kat

> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a little

overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*

>

> I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She

said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The

only numbers she had were the TSH and my Cholesterol.

>

> TSH - 11.50 UGH

>

>

>

part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said

we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She

also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said

75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time?

She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment.

VERY disappointing.

>

>

> Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health

Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way,

anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in July

and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at

midnight.

>

> I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything

else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I

don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just

get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.

>

>

> Thanks for listening,

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

... my opinion here....

You're TSH is way high.. you've just started on replacement hormone.. hold off on testing for a while, yes, you'll get some numbers but all they will really show is that you are in need of meds....

Remind me.. you just started on the 25 mcg this week, right? So it's a big jump to 75 so quickly... my thinking? You're TSH is pretty high so you obviously need replacement, but going up to quickly is hard on your body considering by the time you realize that you've taken too much it's past the point of no return (gosh that sounds ominous, it has to do with the delay time from increasing a dose and the time your body realizes it's full effect).

You're good with paying attention to your body, right? You have 25 mcg tabs already... for most folks that REALLY need hormone and start out on 25 mcg they find that for the first week or two they feel pretty darn good, then start to slide back. What happens is that the small dose, at first, helps, but as their system realizes it's there it backs off on thyroid production and drops the available hormone back to where it was.. that's your clue that you need more...

What I'm thinking is go the first 2 weeks on 25 mcg.. Then maybe go up to the 75.... even so, to go back in a month is too soon to get accurate labs, there won't have been enough time for the T4 to have reached it's peak (at either dose) in the cells.

Since the labs are being paid for by you... request only the Frees and the antibodies. You'll want to see if the antibody levels are moving... and you'll want to see what your conversion rate is... you see that by comparing the Free T4 and where it falls in it's range against the T3 in it's range.. but you'll still not know how close the 75 mcg is to being your optimal dose.

Some of you others.. what do you think about this? I'm always on the side of careful, to avoid going hyper from taking too much too fast... would 75 be too much to start with, having a TSH that high? Or should we wait for the antibody results to figure this out...?

Topper ()

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:43:57 -0700 (PDT) Blazing Krimson writes:

Well, I'm a little overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*

I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The only numbers she had were the TSH and my Cholesterol.

TSH - 11.50 UGH

Cholesterol - 280 DOUBLE UGH

Bad Cholesterol - 211 TRIPLE UGH

She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really disappointing part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time? She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment. VERY disappointing.

She's also got me taking 20mg of Lipitor for the cholesterol.

Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way, anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in July and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at midnight.

I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.

Ughhhhh...my head is swimming.

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

It sure does help, Kat, thank you. Since I've been reading here and other sources on HypoT, I've begun leaning toward taking the Armour instead of the synthetics. I had read that high cholesterol is a symptom of thyroid problems, and also tends to be higher in people who've had their gallbladder removed, so I expected mine to be elevated...but was real surprised at just how elevated it was.

I'll have to find out if this doctor is willing to work with me and prescribe the Armour, and if not, I'll have to find someone who will, or get it myself. I was reading about Nutri-Meds and that some folks had some luck with that, even though it's OTC.

What is the hesitation of doctors to prescribe the naturals? From everything I've read, they seem to be much better than synthetics. Are they just unaware and misinformed? That's really sad if it's true.

My eyes are beginning to open....and it's not a pretty sight.

Thank you!

-- Re: YIKES!!

, I am going to jump in here because I have seen it happen to me. High Cholestrol is a symptom or thyroid probs. Many docs don't recognize it as such.Anyway, I don't have the documentation to back it up, I have read it and have heard it here on the group, that Armour Thyroid (the natural thyroid replacement) will actually lower your cholesterol. In the span of maybe six months...mine dropped 50-60 points after starting Armour.HTH,Kat> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a little overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*> > I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The only numbers she had were the TSH and my

Cholesterol.> > TSH - 11.50 UGH> > Cholesterol - 280 DOUBLE UGH> > Bad Cholesterol - 211 TRIPLE UGH> > She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really disappointing part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time? She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment. VERY disappointing.> > She's also got me taking 20mg of Lipitor for the cholesterol. > > Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way, anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in

July and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at midnight.> > I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.> > Ughhhhh...my head is swimming.> > Thanks for listening,> > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

High cholesterol levels go along with thyroid disease....

And as we are getting properly treated with thyroid hormones, our cholesterol levels will normalize....The cholesterol drugs/diet does not work for the cholesterol levels normalizing if the thyroid disease is at fault...

I have read more and more lately about how dangerous the statins(drugs to lower cholesterol) are...I know that they did quite a number on Leon(my husband).

Now, I am borrowing Pard's(Topper)soapbox.....

There are quite a few symptoms/problems that will normalize when the thyroid gets proper treatment....ranging from depression,anxiety,high blood pressure,high cholesterol.....and so on.The thyroid affects every cell in the body....So if with amalfunction... any or all cells and systems may be affected, and if untreated, gets worse.....I am thinking that I had close to a myxedema coma situation last year...

We get pills for this or that....depressed, here is prozac;weight issues...diet pills; high cholesterol......statins;high blood pressure...antihypertensives...... and all through the message too is:Get Off your lazy behind and eat less, excercise more...it's that time of your life, you are just getting older.......THAT AIN'T THE PROBLEM......

ThyroPhoenix Clinic, here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*, stepping down and looking around amazed at being as wordy and passing the soapbox back to Topper*

YIKES!!

I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The only numbers she had were the TSH and my Cholesterol.

TSH - 11.50 UGH

She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really disappointing part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time? She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment. VERY disappointing.

Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way, anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in July and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at midnight.

I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

And as we are getting properly treated with thyroid hormones, our cholesterol levels will normalize....The cholesterol drugs/diet does not work for the cholesterol levels normalizing if the thyroid disease is at fault...

I have read more and more lately about how dangerous the statins(drugs to lower cholesterol) are...I know that they did quite a number on Leon(my husband).

There are quite a few symptoms/problems that will normalize when the thyroid gets proper treatment....ranging from depression,anxiety,high blood pressure,high cholesterol.....and so on.The thyroid affects every cell in the body....So if with amalfunction... any or all cells and systems may be affected, and if untreated, gets worse.....I am thinking that I had close to a myxedema coma situation last year...

We get pills for this or that....depressed, here is prozac;weight issues...diet pills; high cholesterol......statins;high blood pressure...antihypertensives...... and all through the message too is:Get Off your lazy behind and eat less, excercise more...it's that time of your life, you are just getting older.......THAT AIN'T THE PROBLEM......

*, stepping down and looking around amazed at being as wordy and passing the soapbox back to Topper*

YIKES!!

TSH - 11.50 UGH

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

Thank you, . I value your opinion a lot.

I need to go very slowly for my peace of mind. If I was to go hyper, with the added anxiety-like symptoms that entails, I'd go over the edge hahahaha. I'm going to continue with 25 mcg for the next couple of weeks. I think then I'll go up to 50mcg for a time and see where that gets me. If I then need to go to 75, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I think the jump from 25 to 75 so quickly is too much, as you said.

Maybe after I've been on 50 for a time (4 weeks, perhaps?) I should have my Frees and the antibodies done - that sounds reasonable (I'm trying to talk this out in my head as I type LOL.)

I think that's a good plan - 25mcg for another week or two, then 50 for about 4 weeks, then more testing.

If that sounds wrong to anyone, please steer me in the right direction as my brain is still swimming from all of this.

Thank you,

... my opinion here....

You're TSH is way high.. you've just started on replacement hormone.. hold off on testing for a while, yes, you'll get some numbers but all they will really show is that you are in need of meds....

Remind me.. you just started on the 25 mcg this week, right? So it's a big jump to 75 so quickly... my thinking? You're TSH is pretty high so you obviously need replacement, but going up to quickly is hard on your body considering by the time you realize that you've taken too much it's past the point of no return (gosh that sounds ominous, it has to do with the delay time from increasing a dose and the time your body realizes it's full effect).

You're good with paying attention to your body, right? You have 25 mcg tabs already... for most folks that REALLY need hormone and start out on 25 mcg they find that for the first week or two they feel pretty darn good, then start to slide back. What happens is that the small dose, at first, helps, but as their system realizes it's there it backs off on thyroid production and drops the available hormone back to where it was.. that's your clue that you need more...

What I'm thinking is go the first 2 weeks on 25 mcg.. Then maybe go up to the 75.... even so, to go back in a month is too soon to get accurate labs, there won't have been enough time for the T4 to have reached it's peak (at either dose) in the cells.

Since the labs are being paid for by you... request only the Frees and the antibodies. You'll want to see if the antibody levels are moving... and you'll want to see what your conversion rate is... you see that by comparing the Free T4 and where it falls in it's range against the T3 in it's range.. but you'll still not know how close the 75 mcg is to being your optimal dose.

Some of you others.. what do you think about this? I'm always on the side of careful, to avoid going hyper from taking too much too fast... would 75 be too much to start with, having a TSH that high? Or should we wait for the antibody results to figure this out...?

Topper ()

TSH - 11.50 UGH

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

I need to go very slowly for my peace of mind. If I was to go hyper, with the added anxiety-like symptoms that entails, I'd go over the edge hahahaha. I'm going to continue with 25 mcg for the next couple of weeks. I think then I'll go up to 50mcg for a time and see where that gets me. If I then need to go to 75, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I think the jump from 25 to 75 so quickly is too much, as you said.

Maybe after I've been on 50 for a time (4 weeks, perhaps?) I should have my Frees and the antibodies done - that sounds reasonable (I'm trying to talk this out in my head as I type LOL.)

I think that's a good plan - 25mcg for another week or two, then 50 for about 4 weeks, then more testing.

If that sounds wrong to anyone, please steer me in the right direction as my brain is still swimming from all of this.

Thank you,

... my opinion here....

Topper ()

TSH - 11.50 UGH

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

You go right on with your soap box! I love to hear the passion with which you all talk about these things. I'm getting there as I learn more and more.

It's so funny - I think doctors love to be able to place the blame for all of your symptoms on something. If they hear you have anxiety - everything that's wrong with you is caused by that. Or if you're depressed, well, it must be that.

They don't imagine that possibly someone who has anxiety (or whatever) could also have something PHYSICAL wrong with them as well! It's so discouraging.

I'm gonna get a handle on this if it kills me in the process LOL

Thank you,

YIKES!!

TSH - 11.50 UGH

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

You go right on with your soap box! I love to hear the passion with which you all talk about these things. I'm getting there as I learn more and more.

It's so funny - I think doctors love to be able to place the blame for all of your symptoms on something. If they hear you have anxiety - everything that's wrong with you is caused by that. Or if you're depressed, well, it must be that.

They don't imagine that possibly someone who has anxiety (or whatever) could also have something PHYSICAL wrong with them as well! It's so discouraging.

Thank you,

YIKES!!

TSH - 11.50 UGH

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

, it is not just their hesitation to prescibe the naturals.....It is their hesitation to even diagnose properly thyroid dysfunction....Because of the emphasis on the TSH and not taking into account the symptoms and the lower range for the TSH.....

Ask Topper, losing her thyroid because some dr thought she was too fat to be sick......Me, getting very sick and hospitalized because they thought just fat and depressed, and overlooked my other symptoms...and had me so cowed that I avoided drs because they kkept emphasizing fat and depressed and did not foll up on the other so obvious symptoms... It is still a puzzle to me why an endo, can look and see that I had no outer third to a half of my eyebrows, Did he think I shaved just that?!...And noone ever has done a true thyroid physical check on me... seeing if there is a goiter, the slowed reflexes, etc...Evem my stuttering was a symptom(that has since left thanks to Armour )That endo who kept pushing Meridia on me, who never followed up on testing my other hormones either....plus my results from a long time showing the autoimmune anemias.... GRR!!!!!!!!

THYROPHOENIX CLINIC!

ThyroFeisty(Feisty)Proud group co-owner!~www.thyrophoenix.comI like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Sir Winston ChurchillBritish politician (1874 - 1965)

Re: YIKES!!

, I am going to jump in here because I have seen it happen to me. High Cholestrol is a symptom or thyroid probs. Many docs don't recognize it as such.Anyway, I don't have the documentation to back it up, I have read it and have heard it here on the group, that Armour Thyroid (the natural thyroid replacement) will actually lower your cholesterol. In the span of maybe six months...mine dropped 50-60 points after starting Armour.HTH,Kat> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a little overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*> > I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The only numbers she had were the TSH and my Cholesterol.> > TSH - 11.50 UGH> > Cholesterol - 280 DOUBLE UGH> > Bad Cholesterol - 211 TRIPLE UGH> > She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really disappointing part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time? She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment. VERY disappointing.> > She's also got me taking 20mg of Lipitor for the cholesterol. > > Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way, anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in July and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at midnight.> > I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.> > Ughhhhh...my head is swimming.> > Thanks for listening,> > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

, it is not just their hesitation to prescibe the naturals.....It is their hesitation to even diagnose properly thyroid dysfunction....Because of the emphasis on the TSH and not taking into account the symptoms and the lower range for the TSH.....

Ask Topper, losing her thyroid because some dr thought she was too fat to be sick......Me, getting very sick and hospitalized because they thought just fat and depressed, and overlooked my other symptoms...and had me so cowed that I avoided drs because they kkept emphasizing fat and depressed and did not foll up on the other so obvious symptoms... It is still a puzzle to me why an endo, can look and see that I had no outer third to a half of my eyebrows, Did he think I shaved just that?!...And noone ever has done a true thyroid physical check on me... seeing if there is a goiter, the slowed reflexes, etc...Evem my stuttering was a symptom(that has since left thanks to Armour )That endo who kept pushing Meridia on me, who never followed up on testing my other hormones either....plus my results from a long time showing the autoimmune anemias.... GRR!!!!!!!!

THYROPHOENIX CLINIC!

ThyroFeisty(Feisty)Proud group co-owner!~www.thyrophoenix.comI like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Sir Winston ChurchillBritish politician (1874 - 1965)

, I am going to jump in here because I have seen it happen to me. High Cholestrol is a symptom or thyroid probs. Many docs don't recognize it as such.Anyway, I don't have the documentation to back it up, I have read it and have heard it here on the group, that Armour Thyroid (the natural thyroid replacement) will actually lower your cholesterol. In the span of maybe six months...mine dropped 50-60 points after starting Armour.HTH,Kat> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a little overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*> > I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The only numbers she had were the TSH and my Cholesterol.> > TSH - 11.50 UGH> > Cholesterol - 280 DOUBLE UGH> > Bad Cholesterol - 211 TRIPLE UGH> > She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really disappointing part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time? She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment. VERY disappointing.> > She's also got me taking 20mg of Lipitor for the cholesterol. > > Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way, anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in July and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at midnight.> > I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.> > Ughhhhh...my head is swimming.> > Thanks for listening,> > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

It really is outrageous. How do they justify this complete lack of awareness? I guess they don't, which is even more outrageous. Is there such a thing as a doctor who specializes in thyroid dysfunction? There SHOULD be!

I'm so very very sorry for all the misdiagnoses that have gone on here, mine included. I am also very very grateful to have found this group, at last, and can't wait until I have more of a handle on what's going on with my own stuff so I can jump in and help as you all are helping me.

Gentle hugs,

-- Re: Re: YIKES!!

THYROPHOENIX CLINIC!

, I am going to jump in here because I have seen it happen to me. High Cholestrol is a symptom or thyroid probs. Many docs don't recognize it as such.Anyway, I don't have the documentation to back it up, I have read it and have heard it here on the group, that Armour Thyroid (the natural thyroid replacement) will actually lower your cholesterol. In the span of maybe six months...mine dropped 50-60 points after starting Armour.HTH,Kat> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a little overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*> > I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were done. She said only part of them had come back. I asked for the numbers. The only numbers she had were the TSH and my

Cholesterol.> > TSH - 11.50 UGH> > Cholesterol - 280 DOUBLE UGH> > Bad Cholesterol - 211 TRIPLE UGH> > She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really disappointing part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time? She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment. VERY disappointing.> > She's also got me taking 20mg of Lipitor for the cholesterol. > > Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself through Health Check. It will probably end up being cheaper for me that way, anyway, as my health insurance only pays if it's a full moon in

July and you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in your pocket at midnight.> > I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need anything else? I'm probably going to have the General Health screening if I don't need anything more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just get those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.> > Ughhhhh...my head is swimming.> > Thanks for listening,> > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

I'm utterly disgusted with this doctor. She's keeping

you fiercly HypoT.

You have high cholesterol because you are

HypoT!!!!!!!!!

Duh.

And UGH IS RIGHT!!!!!!

You need to be on a much higher dose of T4 in my

opinion, and you'd probably do better on Armour, which

would no doubt help your cholesterol. I would refuse

the Lipitor until she does the Free T4 and Free T3 AND

increases your meds. If you can't get her to

cooperate, I would order your meds online and bypass

this useless so-called doctor.

Feel better!!!

SAMMIE

--- Blazing Krimson wrote:

> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a

> little overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*

>

> I called the new doctor today to see if my labs were

> done. She said only part of them had come back. I

> asked for the numbers. The only numbers she had

> were the TSH and my Cholesterol.

>

> TSH - 11.50 UGH

>

>

>

> She didn't seem too concerned, which is the really

> disappointing part. I asked if she was going to do

> the T3 and T4 tests, she said we'd discuss it the

> next time I see her, which is in a month. She also

> is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl

> - she said 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't

> that a big jump at one time? She was ready to not

> even deal with it until my next appointment. VERY

> disappointing.

>

> She's also got me taking 20mg of Lipitor for the

> cholesterol.

>

> Soooo...I'm going to have my blood work done myself

> through Health Check. It will probably end up being

> cheaper for me that way, anyway, as my health

> insurance only pays if it's a full moon in July and

> you're standing on your head with a dead mouse in

> your pocket at midnight.

>

> I know I need the T3 and T4 numbers...but do I need

> anything else? I'm probably going to have the

> General Health screening if I don't need anything

> more than T3 and T4. If I do, then I'll just get

> those, plus whatever else I need and go from there.

>

>

> Thanks for listening,

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I'm utterly disgusted with this doctor. She's keeping

you fiercly HypoT.

You have high cholesterol because you are

HypoT!!!!!!!!!

Duh.

And UGH IS RIGHT!!!!!!

You need to be on a much higher dose of T4 in my

opinion, and you'd probably do better on Armour, which

would no doubt help your cholesterol. I would refuse

the Lipitor until she does the Free T4 and Free T3 AND

increases your meds. If you can't get her to

cooperate, I would order your meds online and bypass

this useless so-called doctor.

Feel better!!!

SAMMIE

> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Well, I'm a

> little overwhelmed and disappointed *sigh*

>

>

> TSH - 11.50 UGH

>

>

>

> disappointing.

>

> cholesterol.

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for listening,

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Blazing Krimson wrote:

> part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said

> we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She

> also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said

> 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time?

> She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment.

> VERY disappointing.

>

>

>

lipitor when your TSH is 11.5 - run away from this DR!

{Total cholesterol used to be the lab test for hypoT before the TSH came

into vogue]

--

Alison

http://www.alisonashwell.com/

**new work uploaded**

http://www.artwanted.com/alisonashwell

Guest guest

Blazing Krimson wrote:

> part. I asked if she was going to do the T3 and T4 tests, she said

> we'd discuss it the next time I see her, which is in a month. She

> also is calling in a scrip for a larger dosage of levoxyl - she said

> 75 mcg. I'm taking 25mcg now. Isn't that a big jump at one time?

> She was ready to not even deal with it until my next appointment.

> VERY disappointing.

>

>

>

lipitor when your TSH is 11.5 - run away from this DR!

{Total cholesterol used to be the lab test for hypoT before the TSH came

into vogue]

--

Alison

http://www.alisonashwell.com/

**new work uploaded**

http://www.artwanted.com/alisonashwell

Guest guest

I thought it was only a concern to raise meds slowly

if T3 was involved?

Am I wrong?

SAMMIE

> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Thank you,

> . I value your opinion a lot.

>

> I need to go very slowly for my peace of mind. If I

> was to go hyper, with the added anxiety-like

> symptoms that entails, I'd go over the edge

> hahahaha. I'm going to continue with 25 mcg for

> the next couple of weeks. I think then I'll go up

> to 50mcg for a time and see where that gets me. If

> I then need to go to 75, I'll cross that bridge when

> I come to it. I think the jump from 25 to 75 so

> quickly is too much, as you said.

>

> Maybe after I've been on 50 for a time (4 weeks,

> perhaps?) I should have my Frees and the antibodies

> done - that sounds reasonable (I'm trying to talk

> this out in my head as I type LOL.)

>

> I think that's a good plan - 25mcg for another week

> or two, then 50 for about 4 weeks, then more

> testing.

>

> If that sounds wrong to anyone, please steer me in

> the right direction as my brain is still swimming

> from all of this.

>

> Thank you,

>

>

>

>

> -- Re: YIKES!!

>

>

> ... my opinion here....

>

> You're TSH is way high.. you've just started on

> replacement hormone.. hold off on testing for a

> while, yes, you'll get some numbers but all they

> will really show is that you are in need of meds....

>

> Remind me.. you just started on the 25 mcg this

> week, right? So it's a big jump to 75 so quickly...

> my thinking? You're TSH is pretty high so you

> obviously need replacement, but going up to quickly

> is hard on your body considering by the time you

> realize that you've taken too much it's past the

> point of no return (gosh that sounds ominous, it has

> to do with the delay time from increasing a dose and

> the time your body realizes it's full effect).

>

> You're good with paying attention to your body,

> right? You have 25 mcg tabs already... for most

> folks that REALLY need hormone and start out on 25

> mcg they find that for the first week or two they

> feel pretty darn good, then start to slide back.

> What happens is that the small dose, at first,

> helps, but as their system realizes it's there it

> backs off on thyroid production and drops the

> available hormone back to where it was.. that's your

> clue that you need more...

>

> What I'm thinking is go the first 2 weeks on 25

> mcg.. Then maybe go up to the 75.... even so, to go

> back in a month is too soon to get accurate labs,

> there won't have been enough time for the T4 to have

> reached it's peak (at either dose) in the cells.

>

> Since the labs are being paid for by you... request

> only the Frees and the antibodies. You'll want to

> see if the antibody levels are moving... and you'll

> want to see what your conversion rate is... you see

> that by comparing the Free T4 and where it falls in

> it's range against the T3 in it's range.. but you'll

> still not know how close the 75 mcg is to being your

> optimal dose.

>

> Some of you others.. what do you think about this?

> I'm always on the side of careful, to avoid going

> hyper from taking too much too fast... would 75 be

> too much to start with, having a TSH that high? Or

> should we wait for the antibody results to figure

> this out...?

>

> Topper ()

>

>

>

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:43:57 -0700 (PDT) Blazing

> Krimson writes:

> Well, I'm a little overwhelmed and disappointed

> *sigh*

>

>

> TSH - 11.50 UGH

>

>

>

> disappointing.

>

> cholesterol.

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for listening,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

>

Guest guest

I thought it was only a concern to raise meds slowly

if T3 was involved?

Am I wrong?

SAMMIE

> FLAVOR00-NONE-0000-0000-0000000000004.0;Thank you,

> . I value your opinion a lot.

>

> I need to go very slowly for my peace of mind. If I

> was to go hyper, with the added anxiety-like

> symptoms that entails, I'd go over the edge

> hahahaha. I'm going to continue with 25 mcg for

> the next couple of weeks. I think then I'll go up

> to 50mcg for a time and see where that gets me. If

> I then need to go to 75, I'll cross that bridge when

> I come to it. I think the jump from 25 to 75 so

> quickly is too much, as you said.

>

> Maybe after I've been on 50 for a time (4 weeks,

> perhaps?) I should have my Frees and the antibodies

> done - that sounds reasonable (I'm trying to talk

> this out in my head as I type LOL.)

>

> I think that's a good plan - 25mcg for another week

> or two, then 50 for about 4 weeks, then more

> testing.

>

> If that sounds wrong to anyone, please steer me in

> the right direction as my brain is still swimming

> from all of this.

>

> Thank you,

>

>

>

>

> -- Re: YIKES!!

>

>

> ... my opinion here....

>

> You're TSH is way high.. you've just started on

> replacement hormone.. hold off on testing for a

> while, yes, you'll get some numbers but all they

> will really show is that you are in need of meds....

>

> Remind me.. you just started on the 25 mcg this

> week, right? So it's a big jump to 75 so quickly...

> my thinking? You're TSH is pretty high so you

> obviously need replacement, but going up to quickly

> is hard on your body considering by the time you

> realize that you've taken too much it's past the

> point of no return (gosh that sounds ominous, it has

> to do with the delay time from increasing a dose and

> the time your body realizes it's full effect).

>

> You're good with paying attention to your body,

> right? You have 25 mcg tabs already... for most

> folks that REALLY need hormone and start out on 25

> mcg they find that for the first week or two they

> feel pretty darn good, then start to slide back.

> What happens is that the small dose, at first,

> helps, but as their system realizes it's there it

> backs off on thyroid production and drops the

> available hormone back to where it was.. that's your

> clue that you need more...

>

> What I'm thinking is go the first 2 weeks on 25

> mcg.. Then maybe go up to the 75.... even so, to go

> back in a month is too soon to get accurate labs,

> there won't have been enough time for the T4 to have

> reached it's peak (at either dose) in the cells.

>

> Since the labs are being paid for by you... request

> only the Frees and the antibodies. You'll want to

> see if the antibody levels are moving... and you'll

> want to see what your conversion rate is... you see

> that by comparing the Free T4 and where it falls in

> it's range against the T3 in it's range.. but you'll

> still not know how close the 75 mcg is to being your

> optimal dose.

>

> Some of you others.. what do you think about this?

> I'm always on the side of careful, to avoid going

> hyper from taking too much too fast... would 75 be

> too much to start with, having a TSH that high? Or

> should we wait for the antibody results to figure

> this out...?

>

> Topper ()

>

>

>

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:43:57 -0700 (PDT) Blazing

> Krimson writes:

> Well, I'm a little overwhelmed and disappointed

> *sigh*

>

>

> TSH - 11.50 UGH

>

>

>

> disappointing.

>

> cholesterol.

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for listening,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

>

Guest guest

Anybody that wants to borrow my soap box is welcome, anytime...

If can get to it here in Minnesota, when she lives in Texas, well, anyone can get it!!!!

.... but hey.. when you're done.. could you put it back in that corner.. behind the puters.. just so I can find it when I need it!!!

hehhehehehe

Topper ()

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:14:31 -0500 "Feisty\(ThyroFeisty\)" writes:

< snip >

Guest guest

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me, ... I'm really amazed that you've got such a strong grasp on this so quickly. Better watch out, you keep it up and we'll be putting you to work around here!!!

Topper ()

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:25:04 -0700 (PDT) Blazing Krimson writes:

Thank you,

... my opinion here....

Topper ()

TSH - 11.50 UGH

Thanks for listening,

Guest guest

oooo you're gonna get me started now... this BS with obesity being the cause of: (fill in blank) for a great many overweight folks, obesity isn't the cause of anything... obesity is the visual symptom of something else being wrong and the body screaming at the top of it's lungs to get your head out of your butt and find out what is wrong!!!!

Please.. don't anyone take that as an insult. it's not meant to be. I may very well weigh double what many of you weigh. I'm huge, a combination of hypo weight gain and now, the addition of the lymph fluid that has been building in my tissues over the last year, or more.... Even as large as I am I've lost a lot already, you can tell that my checking out my before and after clothes.

My point is that all these years I was ridiculed and insulted and threatened because I was an over eater, lazy, irresponsible, didn't care about my health.. you name it, it was said to me.... and all this time it's messed up hormones and damage from a treatment that I was forced into by a doc that decided I was 'too fat to be sick' and sent me home in thyroid storm.

It was after I began self treating AND I learned what I had to do to help my broken metabolism that I started to lose weight.

Overweight is NOT a badge of sloth and overindulgence for everyone. Yes, for some it is... but not for everyone and I think it absolutely SUCKS that I'm put down when it's my medical issues that put me in this position and not my negligence in personal health.

*HUGE sigh*

There.. I said it and it's out of my system.

Topper () *sticking foot in mouth, hold it.. I'm typing, not talking.. putting socks on hands, so I can't type any more ---- right after I start the dictation program and put on my microphone..... hehehehe*

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:30:33 -0700 (PDT) Blazing Krimson writes:

Thank you,

Guest guest

oooo you're gonna get me started now... this BS with obesity being the cause of: (fill in blank) for a great many overweight folks, obesity isn't the cause of anything... obesity is the visual symptom of something else being wrong and the body screaming at the top of it's lungs to get your head out of your butt and find out what is wrong!!!!

Please.. don't anyone take that as an insult. it's not meant to be. I may very well weigh double what many of you weigh. I'm huge, a combination of hypo weight gain and now, the addition of the lymph fluid that has been building in my tissues over the last year, or more.... Even as large as I am I've lost a lot already, you can tell that my checking out my before and after clothes.

My point is that all these years I was ridiculed and insulted and threatened because I was an over eater, lazy, irresponsible, didn't care about my health.. you name it, it was said to me.... and all this time it's messed up hormones and damage from a treatment that I was forced into by a doc that decided I was 'too fat to be sick' and sent me home in thyroid storm.

It was after I began self treating AND I learned what I had to do to help my broken metabolism that I started to lose weight.

Overweight is NOT a badge of sloth and overindulgence for everyone. Yes, for some it is... but not for everyone and I think it absolutely SUCKS that I'm put down when it's my medical issues that put me in this position and not my negligence in personal health.

*HUGE sigh*

There.. I said it and it's out of my system.

Topper () *sticking foot in mouth, hold it.. I'm typing, not talking.. putting socks on hands, so I can't type any more ---- right after I start the dictation program and put on my microphone..... hehehehe*

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:30:33 -0700 (PDT) Blazing Krimson writes:

Thank you,

Guest guest

With some of them, the only training they get is to test TSH and prescribe synthetic, they don't know any different.. it's not their fault.. for me the fault comes when you tell the doc you feel like crap.. what's wrong.. and they blow you off... and worse when you have an idea what is wrong and ask to explore it and are ignored or told to shut up....

As for specialty clinic... and I have a plan.. it only lacks funding.... it will specialize in PROPER diagnoses and treatment and will also cover adrenal issues and now, since this has hit several of us.. .lipoedema and lymphedema...

One day it will be.. hopefully in our lifetimes....

Topper ()

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:52:59 -0700 (PDT) Blazing Krimson writes:

It really is outrageous. How do they justify this complete lack of awareness? I guess they don't, which is even more outrageous. Is there such a thing as a doctor who specializes in thyroid dysfunction? There SHOULD be!

I'm so very very sorry for all the misdiagnoses that have gone on here, mine included. I am also very very grateful to have found this group, at last, and can't wait until I have more of a handle on what's going on with my own stuff so I can jump in and help as you all are helping me.

Gentle hugs,

Guest guest

Not hopefully..... It will Be!!!!!!!!

Egads, I am being wordy today!

Feisty is Back!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: YIKES!!

With some of them, the only training they get is to test TSH and prescribe synthetic, they don't know any different.. it's not their fault.. for me the fault comes when you tell the doc you feel like crap.. what's wrong.. and they blow you off... and worse when you have an idea what is wrong and ask to explore it and are ignored or told to shut up....

As for specialty clinic... and I have a plan.. it only lacks funding.... it will specialize in PROPER diagnoses and treatment and will also cover adrenal issues and now, since this has hit several of us.. .lipoedema and lymphedema...

One day it will be.. hopefully in our lifetimes....

Topper ()

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:52:59 -0700 (PDT) Blazing Krimson writes:

Gentle hugs,