RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Weight Watchers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I will second that - thank God you found IE! I remember my two experiences with WW, it was like cattle standing in line to be weighed. Might has well been branded as well! They can create some fancy "WW" brand for all the members. They may as well because you know the majority of them will come back, either heavier than when they left or the same weight. I had about 2 years in between WW adventures and I actually saw many of the same women in line at the same weight. Very sad.

The good news is that many people I talk to aren't fooled at all about this WW not being a diet. It probably won't happen, but it would be nice to see the marketing campaign backfire.

Thanks!GillianGillian Hood-son, MS, ACSMHealthier OutcomesIt's not just about losing weight! Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight? Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt Free Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of jonesstephanie23Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:03 PMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

I know! Tell me about it. I totally agree with you. I couldn't even respond when I saw my first new WW commercial. I was like, "Who the...what the....Huh? This makes no sense!" I just don't understand how they get away with it. I am so tired of people being exploited because of their size. I actually almost went on WW before I found IE. Thank GOD! I am so much happier now than I would have been if I actually went down that road. Being weighed in front of a bunch of people and obsessing over "point values" would drive me right into a pit of self-hatred.

Guest guest

Press,

You're right, magazines do perpetuate the notion that you are the weak one if you "fail" at dieting or exercise. But remember that they need to because if they didn't they wouldn't be able to stay in business. If it's your fault, they can keep feeding you info on the latest and greatest workout or diet. What would they write about if they acknowledged THEY were the problem? Hang in there, I've seen an attitude shift in you in recent weeks, you're doing great. I know you are going to get through all this.

Thanks!GillianGillian Hood-son, MS, ACSMHealthier OutcomesIt's not just about losing weight! Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight? Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt Free Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of press182Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:26 PMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

Thanks Gillian.You're right. One thing I need to do is stop visiting fitness sites. Even the most "benign" seeming ones are rife with diet and good/food bad food talk.The problem is that magazines such as Oxygen feed the notion that if you don't have the body you want, it's YOUR fault. You're eating too much, not enough, too many carbs, too little, etc.You probably know all about this being in the fitness industry.I KNOW many of the things these people do are disordered and they also use shady means to get that look.Thanks again for the advice.> >> > Press,> > Will you be happy eating clean forever??? I haven't been doing IE for > > very long, and I am not happy about the way I look right now, but I > am > > really trying to put that on the back burner and look inside. I think > > disciplining yourself is a harsh way to treat yourself when you > deserve > > some kindness. I think it is difficult at first to separate. Be kind > to > > yourself. Hang in there,> > > > > > > > --->

Guest guest

Press,

Can you start by maybe accepting one part of your body instead of the whole thing? Maybe a baby step is a good start for you. I don't know, it's just something that came to mind at the moment. Remember to stay away from the all or nothing thinking, and that includes the idea of acceptance. There's no wrong or right, just keep reminding yourself of that.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of press182Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:30 PMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

Gillian,There's a part of me that wants the freedom of IE and another part that just thinks I'm making excuses and weak. Does that make sense?It's never going to stop unless I stop the body hatred,huh?I've never been able to change my shape except when I was bony. That was my new shape "boney".Yet again, I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong that it's not working? The diet and fitness industries are pretty nasty pieces of work.>> Press -> > Keep going, it took me a long time, but that doesn't mean it does for> everyone. I think one thing that helped me was I got very angry at the fact> that I couldn't accept myself. I was tired of living that way, tired of it> all. I was mad at the media, the fitness and diet industry, and others, and> myself. While I didn't know this at the time, anger is a higher emotion on> the emotional scale, which means it is higher than depression or despair.> When you are in despair, you can't move, you can't take any action. By> moving up, it helped me take some action and I kept moving up until I hit> acceptance and then happiness. I know this sounds kind of weird, but that's> what happened to me.> > Thanks!> Gillian> > Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM> Healthier Outcomes> It's not just about losing weight!> > >

Guest guest

>

> Press,

Hang in there, I've seen an attitude shift in you in recent weeks,

> you're doing great. I know you are going to get through all this.

>

> Thanks!

> Gillian

>

Thanks, Gillian. However, I don't think my attitude has changed.

If someone told me that no matter how much I exercised, my body

wouldn't change--you know that question- " If you knew that no matter how

much you exercised your body wouldn't change one way or the other would

you still do it? "

In all honesty I don't know if I would. I can't separate exercise from

weight loss. That's all I do it for and I keep trying to change that

mindset but I can't.

Guest guest

Those are definitely good points to remember.

> >

> > Press -

> >

> > Keep going, it took me a long time, but that doesn't mean it does

> for

> > everyone. I think one thing that helped me was I got very angry

at

> the fact

> > that I couldn't accept myself. I was tired of living that way,

> tired of it

> > all. I was mad at the media, the fitness and diet industry, and

> others, and

> > myself. While I didn't know this at the time, anger is a higher

> emotion on

> > the emotional scale, which means it is higher than depression or

> despair.

> > When you are in despair, you can't move, you can't take any

action.

> By

> > moving up, it helped me take some action and I kept moving up

until

> I hit

> > acceptance and then happiness. I know this sounds kind of weird,

> but that's

> > what happened to me.

> >

> > Thanks!

> > Gillian

> >

> > Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM

> > Healthier Outcomes

> > It's not just about losing weight!

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Press, well at least you have the 'hurdle' squarely in your sights!

How wild that I have the totally OPPOSITE attitude about 'exercise' -

when I think of it, its like thinking of dieting - BOTH immediately

make me 'hungry' (real Pavlov reaction - lol). Yet the reality, for

both of us is - movement of our bodies is a part of life. Movement

requires energy which is fueled by food. But some where in that simple

equation both of our heads get involved! You needing to 'sculpt' your

body and me needing to 'use' mine (productively). I suspect that we

both need to direct our thoughts towards the effort of DIGGING, albeit

in the mental sense to find what underlies our needs to 'exercise' (or

not in my case).

Best wishes to you - ehugs, Katcha

> " If you knew that no matter how

> much you exercised your body wouldn't change one way or the other would

> you still do it? "

>

> In all honesty I don't know if I would. I can't separate exercise from

> weight loss. That's all I do it for and I keep trying to change that

> mindset but I can't.

>

Guest guest

Press,

I hope you give yourself credit for sticking around here on the board, posting, and being a support for others as well. I have seen members come and go, come back, leave, come back, and leave again, and on it goes. You are very courageous to stay and share with us what you are going through. I think that characteristic is what will help you be successful with all this. While you may not see your progress, you are hard on yourself by nature (aren't we all!). So trust me, I see progress.

I had a thought that maybe would help, you can take it or leave it. When you are feeling guilty, talking negatively to yourself, beating yourself up, or whatever, ask yourself if you would talk that way to a small child. If you wouldn't say these things or judge these behaviors to be "bad" for a small child, then there is no place for doing it to yourself. Your subconscious works on the level of a small child, taking everything you say to it as the truth. You can see this is true because of all the tapes that continue to play in our heads from when we were young ourselves. We believed those things our parents told us, I think you even shared what you had to deal with growing up. I spent the first 34 years of my life (I'm 39 now) believing I wasn't good enough and that I needed to be more like a family member of mine who always put me down and told me I should be more like her. Thank god I got over it, through therapy and intuitive eating. I really like being me, I would never want to be like her. It's funny, I still get surprised at myself for being able to say that.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of press182Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 6:43 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

>> Press,Hang in there, I've seen an attitude shift in you in recent weeks,> you're doing great. I know you are going to get through all this.> > Thanks!> Gillian> Thanks, Gillian. However, I don't think my attitude has changed.If someone told me that no matter how much I exercised, my body wouldn't change--you know that question-"If you knew that no matter how much you exercised your body wouldn't change one way or the other would you still do it?"In all honesty I don't know if I would. I can't separate exercise from weight loss. That's all I do it for and I keep trying to change that mindset but I can't.

Guest guest

Gillian,

Thanks for the suggestions. I should try that out. Oh, yeah, I am

definitely hard on myself. Guilty as charged.

It's kind of funny or sad that when we get older and are out in the

world the people who were " the gold standard " don't seem so " golden " ?

I guess you start to see a parent or family member from an adult

perspective and it's kind of eye opening.

I swear, if I wasn't related to my mother, I wouldn't choose her to

be a close friend. Actually, she'd be on my " annoying " list--putting

it mildly.

It kind of makes me angry. It's like I spent all this time beating

myself up to be someone that in real life, I wouldn't even like?

Cultivating the same " questionable " traits?

If I make any sense.

> >

> > Press,

> Hang in there, I've seen an attitude shift in you in recent weeks,

> > you're doing great. I know you are going to get through all this.

> >

> > Thanks!

> > Gillian

> >

> Thanks, Gillian. However, I don't think my attitude has changed.

> If someone told me that no matter how much I exercised, my body

> wouldn't change--you know that question- " If you knew that no matter

how

> much you exercised your body wouldn't change one way or the other

would

> you still do it? "

>

> In all honesty I don't know if I would. I can't separate exercise

from

> weight loss. That's all I do it for and I keep trying to change

that

> mindset but I can't.

>

Guest guest

I have a question, Gillian. I have a lot of friends in Weight Watchers that have lost weight and does it help you to lose weight. If not, is there another way. I have heard people here say that Weight Watchers is not for them. I just don't know what to do here. I appreciate any help on this. Goldie

Press,

I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I needed to be someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood. It also makes me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool things in my life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe this was supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I wouldn't be here helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which took a long time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are going through is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going through whenever I'm dealing with something difficult.

When I shattered my femur 3 years ago I spent time really looking for the purpose behind my accident. I found a few reasons - one was I was able to get very clear on my business priorities. I gave up some work I was doing that didn't fit into my values, even though it was bringing in money. I also spent 8 months working at a physical therapy clinic because I needed to get out of the house after not being able to walk for 6 months. My experience helped me relate to the patients I worked with. It was funny, they would be complaining about pain and they would say, well you don't know what I'm going through and I loved when I could say, oh yeah? I absolutely can. Shut them up right away. It was fun.

Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with adversity, see what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. Any thoughts?

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Guest guest

Gillian, the problem is with me is that I am emotional eater. When I get upset, I eat comfort food. Does this sound familiar to you? Maybe I should read the IE book since that I haven't read it. I do overeat to tell you the truth. I don't want to gain back the weight after me losing it and this is one of my huge problems. So, this is what I need help with. Goldie

Hi Goldie,

I believe that Weight Watchers does work for some people. A lot of diets do. But, the success is usually short-lived. Only about 5% or less of all people that go on diets maintain that weight loss for 5 years or more. So,Weight Watchers can claim that they work because they do in the short term. Diets can work short term because most people can maintain the "rules" and restrictions for a little while. But since diets don't address the "head" stuff, it's human nature to revert back to old behaviors. Intuitive Eating works on the head stuff first - dealing with why you overeat, what your emotional triggers are, and all those issues. If you don't work on those things you are most likely going to gain back the weight, and usually even more.

If you haven't read any of the Intuitive Eating books, I recommend you picking one up. You can see a partial list on the home page of this group. They will give you a much better understanding of the principles and why intuitive eating works, and works permanently.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!Gillian

Guest guest

Alana, what did you do? I do have a lot of emotions and that's one reason why I am an emotional eater. I do agree with what you are saying. I am glad that I am not alone here, Alana. I might need to talk to you all some more. Goldie

I think everyone on here is an emotional eater to some degree or another. It is how we have learned to take care of ourselves. It is not something that is changed overnight. It is hard work to learn to feel emotions rather than stuff them down with food. And often times those feelings are uncomortable. But it is very freeing to be able to just "sit" with whatever you are feeling and not turn to the food to get through whatever is bugging us. Do not feel like like you are alone, because you certainly are not.

--Alana

Guest guest

I am going to check out the book, Gillian and let you know what I think about it and also get the support from here too. Thank you so much for letting me know that I am not alone. I feel that this is part of my problem like you said. Goldie

Goldie,

I would guess that this is the reason why most people are here. We learn to eat emotionally for various reasons as we are growing up. I have eaten for emotional reasons since the age of 7. It's so common and diets do not address this. When you put rules on what you can eat, this compounds the problem. I would say the majority of people go for sugary foods, or maybe fatty foods when eating emotionally and those are usually on the forbidden list during diets. I would really check out the Intuitive Eating book. And keep hanging around here. You will see you are not alone. I thought I was the only one for many, many years and it was such a relief to know it wasn't just me. As far as weight gain, if you gain a few pounds in this process, it's okay. It comes off as you really embrace intuitive eating and will stay off! It's okay and normal to be scared, but imagine how awesome it will be to have the freedom from dieting and all the agony that comes with it.

Thanks!Gillian

Guest guest

Press,

I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I needed to be someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood. It also makes me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool things in my life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe this was supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I wouldn't be here helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which took a long time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are going through is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going through whenever I'm dealing with something difficult.

When I shattered my femur 3 years ago I spent time really looking for the purpose behind my accident. I found a few reasons - one was I was able to get very clear on my business priorities. I gave up some work I was doing that didn't fit into my values, even though it was bringing in money. I also spent 8 months working at a physical therapy clinic because I needed to get out of the house after not being able to walk for 6 months. My experience helped me relate to the patients I worked with. It was funny, they would be complaining about pain and they would say, well you don't know what I'm going through and I loved when I could say, oh yeah? I absolutely can. Shut them up right away. It was fun.

Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with adversity, see what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. Any thoughts?

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of press182Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:41 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

Gillian,Thanks for the suggestions. I should try that out. Oh, yeah, I am definitely hard on myself. Guilty as charged.It's kind of funny or sad that when we get older and are out in the world the people who were "the gold standard" don't seem so "golden"?I guess you start to see a parent or family member from an adult perspective and it's kind of eye opening.I swear, if I wasn't related to my mother, I wouldn't choose her to be a close friend. Actually, she'd be on my "annoying" list--putting it mildly.It kind of makes me angry. It's like I spent all this time beating myself up to be someone that in real life, I wouldn't even like?Cultivating the same "questionable" traits?If I make any sense.> >> > Press,> Hang in there, I've seen an attitude shift in you in recent weeks,> > you're doing great. I know you are going to get through all this.> > > > Thanks!> > Gillian> > > Thanks, Gillian. However, I don't think my attitude has changed.> If someone told me that no matter how much I exercised, my body > wouldn't change--you know that question-"If you knew that no matter how > much you exercised your body wouldn't change one way or the other would > you still do it?"> > In all honesty I don't know if I would. I can't separate exercise from > weight loss. That's all I do it for and I keep trying to change that > mindset but I can't.>

Guest guest

Hi Goldie,

I believe that Weight Watchers does work for some people. A lot of diets do. But, the success is usually short-lived. Only about 5% or less of all people that go on diets maintain that weight loss for 5 years or more. So,Weight Watchers can claim that they work because they do in the short term. Diets can work short term because most people can maintain the "rules" and restrictions for a little while. But since diets don't address the "head" stuff, it's human nature to revert back to old behaviors. Intuitive Eating works on the head stuff first - dealing with why you overeat, what your emotional triggers are, and all those issues. If you don't work on those things you are most likely going to gain back the weight, and usually even more.

If you haven't read any of the Intuitive Eating books, I recommend you picking one up. You can see a partial list on the home page of this group. They will give you a much better understanding of the principles and why intuitive eating works, and works permanently.

Hope this helps.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of Gldmdlst@...Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:34 PMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Re: Weight Watchers

I have a question, Gillian. I have a lot of friends in Weight Watchers that have lost weight and does it help you to lose weight. If not, is there another way. I have heard people here say that Weight Watchers is not for them. I just don't know what to do here. I appreciate any help on this. Goldie

Press,

Guest guest

I think everyone on here is an emotional eater to some degree or another. It is how we have learned to take care of ourselves. It is not something that is changed overnight. It is hard work to learn to feel emotions rather than stuff them down with food. And often times those feelings are uncomortable. But it is very freeing to be able to just "sit" with whatever you are feeling and not turn to the food to get through whatever is bugging us. Do not feel like like you are alone, because you certainly are not.

--Alana

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Gldmdlst@...

Gillian, the problem is with me is that I am emotional eater. When I get upset, I eat comfort food. Does this sound familiar to you? Maybe I should read the IE book since that I haven't read it. I do overeat to tell you the truth. I don't want to gain back the weight after me losing it and this is one of my huge problems. So, this is what I need help with. Goldie

Hi Goldie,

Hope this helps.

Thanks!Gillian

Guest guest

Goldie,

I would guess that this is the reason why most people are here. We learn to eat emotionally for various reasons as we are growing up. I have eaten for emotional reasons since the age of 7. It's so common and diets do not address this. When you put rules on what you can eat, this compounds the problem. I would say the majority of people go for sugary foods, or maybe fatty foods when eating emotionally and those are usually on the forbidden list during diets. I would really check out the Intuitive Eating book. And keep hanging around here. You will see you are not alone. I thought I was the only one for many, many years and it was such a relief to know it wasn't just me. As far as weight gain, if you gain a few pounds in this process, it's okay. It comes off as you really embrace intuitive eating and will stay off! It's okay and normal to be scared, but imagine how awesome it will be to have the freedom from dieting and all the agony that comes with it.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of Gldmdlst@...Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:30 PMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Re: Weight Watchers

Hi Goldie,

Hope this helps.

Thanks!Gillian

Guest guest

Goldie,

You're welcome. It's really a big help to have the support of like-minded people and I'm really glad you're here. Jump right in with questions or to ask for help any time.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of Gldmdlst@...Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:57 PMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Re: Weight Watchers

I am going to check out the book, Gillian and let you know what I think about it and also get the support from here too. Thank you so much for letting me know that I am not alone. I feel that this is part of my problem like you said. Goldie

Goldie,

Thanks!Gillian

Guest guest

, thank you so much for your encouraging E-mail. I am going to have to try what you mentioned, sitting with your emotions and find out what is exactly is wrong with me. I will have to look into both books. I am going to look into IE book first. This list is so encouraging and this is the way I feel. Goldie

Hi Goldie,

You are certainly not alone. I am reading another book called The End of Diets and one put the author makes is that we are often taught that discomfort is unacceptable, so we teach ourselves ways to not feel uncomfortable or negative emotions. She suggests just "sitting" with your emotions. I've tried this a few times lately and just admitted that I felt sad or lonely or overwhelmed. I tried to remind myself that I didn't need to fix anything, just feel. It's hard, but it seems to be a good exercise to "feel" rather than eat. An emotional eater (such as myself) will probably always return to the methods that work for keeping the emotions in check until the emotions are actually dealt with. I think the concern over weight loss is bound to be a lifetime affair unless we look at the emotions that drive our disordered eating. I think you will find the IE book very exciting, and a little anxiety producing as well. It's different than most things most of us have tried. :)

Guest guest

Hi , it's so good to hear from people like you. Like me, I am such an emotional eater and I have never have figured out what my problem is. That's why I am going to get the IE book first and see if it helps me and join you all for the support here. I am so looking forward into joining all of you because I think the emotional eating is my biggest problem. , I don't think I could do another diet again either. Goldie

Hi Goldie~I wanted to echo Alana and Gillian. I was on WW before doing IE. Myexperience was great for the first year and a half I was on it. But Inever dealt with my emotions. As a result, by the time I stopped goingto WW, I had gained back all of the weight and was on the brink ofgetting an eating disorder. Before I even knew about IE, I knew that Icould not do another diet again because I was already on a dangerouspath and knew that I had to work on accepting my emotions and enjoyingthem (even being sad). While I gained a bit of weight initially with IE, I learned to love mybody where it is, I've learned how to start to identify my emotionsand sit with them and I've learned to not worry so much about what/howmuch/when I'm eating and instead just enjoy it.We've all been where you are and the book definitely helps start theprocess. Good luck!

Guest guest

Gillian,

You and I are so alike it's almost kind of scary.

Sorry that you broke your leg! I know it was awhile ago, but I'm glad

you came through it. Yikes!

It's funny, I HAVE been thinking that the past almost 3 years

happened for a reason. Last fall I told my husband I wanted to start

going to church. Just out of the blue and I was not what you call a

religious or spiritual person.

I met a wonderful pastor who seems to share your idea that things

happen for a reason. I thought the whole ordeal was God's way of

telling me I'm not doing something? I thought it might be to bring me

to God, so to speak, but I wonder if it's more than that?

Going to church DID show me that my focus has been on the wrong

things. " Keeping up with the es " , being the " hottest chick on

the block " , never having enough or being satisfied.

It's really weird, but when I was a littl kid in Catholic School, I

thought it would be great to be a nun. I was fascinated by it.

However, looking back, most of the little girls were, too.

The convent was pretty bad ass!

My favorite classes in high school and in college were theology based.

Not necessarily Christian, either.

I've had this desire to study the life of Christ, the Bible, etc from

a scholarly perspective...not just a " Bible Study Persepective " . If I

make sense. I want to know " about " the book itself.

It's odd.

>

> Press,

>

> I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I

needed to be

> someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood. It

also makes

> me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool things

in my

> life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe

this was

> supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I wouldn't

be here

> helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which took

a long

> time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are going

through

> is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going through

whenever

> I'm dealing with something difficult.

>

>

> Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with

adversity, see

> what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. Any

> thoughts?

>

> Thanks!

> Gillian

>

> Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM

> Healthier Outcomes

> It's not just about losing weight!

>

>

> Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight?

>

> Get your copy of our fr*e special report, " 6 Simple Steps to Guilt

Free

> Eating " by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

> <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com/>

>

>

> _____

>

>

Guest guest

After years of on again-off again therapy, I finally starting working with life coaches. The first coach I worked with did what is called Shadow Belief work. You can find out more about this on

DebbieFord.com. Another great website that goes through similar work is innerbonding.com. Basically, when I am feeling emotional, I look back over my life to an earlier time when I felt the same way. I then can assiciate where the feelings stem from. Often times it is from when I was a child. I then in my mind imagine my adult self assuring, loving and taking care of the hurt child that orginally felt the same way. It's an amazing process and life changing. If you are going to pursue this I highly recommend working with a therapist or coach trained in this type of work. You really cannot do it alone. I know others on here have talked about just closing their eyes and sitting with the feelings. I know Gillian, our moderator might have some suggestions as well, and she is an IE coach. She is amazing. You might want to talk with her off line.

--Alana

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Gldmdlst@...

Alana, what did you do? I do have a lot of emotions and that's one reason why I am an emotional eater. I do agree with what you are saying. I am glad that I am not alone here, Alana. I might need to talk to you all some more. Goldie

--Alana

Guest guest

Hi Goldie,

You are certainly not alone. I am reading another book called The End of Diets and one put the author makes is that we are often taught that discomfort is unacceptable, so we teach ourselves ways to not feel uncomfortable or negative emotions. She suggests just "sitting" with your emotions. I've tried this a few times lately and just admitted that I felt sad or lonely or overwhelmed. I tried to remind myself that I didn't need to fix anything, just feel. It's hard, but it seems to be a good exercise to "feel" rather than eat. An emotional eater (such as myself) will probably always return to the methods that work for keeping the emotions in check until the emotions are actually dealt with. I think the concern over weight loss is bound to be a lifetime affair unless we look at the emotions that drive our disordered eating. I think you will find the IE book very exciting, and a little anxiety producing as well. It's different than most things most of us have tried. :)

Guest guest

I must say, Gillian you reminded me of something I just started to

notice... Recently, I've noticed a lot of people pulling the " You

don't know what I'm going through card " on me.

And my gut response is to be like: " Sure I do, because while you have

something going on, so do I. It might not be exactly the same but I

know that we both have choices about how we handle it. I know that we

have control over our reaction to it. I know that maybe it hasn't

exactly happened to me, but I'm pretty sure that something in my life

is similar enough that I can find a way to relate. "

Why is it in this world today - we all still think that our

problems/issues are so specific and special to us that no one can

relate to them? Maybe if we realized that they aren't really that

special and allowed others to listen to us and us to them - the HUGE

problem in our mind, might end up shrinking in size because we learned

to handle our own perspective on the problem.

Hmmm.... Ok. That was a bit of a philosophical rant. But just

recently, realized the above myself and I needed to put it to words.

>

> Press,

>

It was funny,

> they would be complaining about pain and they would say, well you

don't know

> what I'm going through and I loved when I could say, oh yeah? I

absolutely

> can. Shut them up right away. It was fun.

>

> Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with

adversity, see

> what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. Any

> thoughts?

>

> Thanks!

> Gillian

>

Guest guest

Hi Goldie~

I wanted to echo Alana and Gillian. I was on WW before doing IE. My

experience was great for the first year and a half I was on it. But I

never dealt with my emotions. As a result, by the time I stopped going

to WW, I had gained back all of the weight and was on the brink of

getting an eating disorder. Before I even knew about IE, I knew that I

could not do another diet again because I was already on a dangerous

path and knew that I had to work on accepting my emotions and enjoying

them (even being sad).

While I gained a bit of weight initially with IE, I learned to love my

body where it is, I've learned how to start to identify my emotions

and sit with them and I've learned to not worry so much about what/how

much/when I'm eating and instead just enjoy it.

We've all been where you are and the book definitely helps start the

process.

Good luck!

>

> Goldie,

>

> You're welcome. It's really a big help to have the support of

like-minded

> people and I'm really glad you're here. Jump right in with questions

or to

> ask for help any time.

>