RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Weight Watchers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

But, I have to learn the way to eat without dieting. That's what I have to learn. Goldie

Lucky for you (and all of us here), we never have to diet again. Yippie!!!

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

Guest guest

Gillian, I think that this is part of my problem too. I am a giver and sometimes I don't take care of myself. Can that be part of it? I give in too much to people. Even my Mom says that and I said that you brought me up that way. Now, how can I get out of it? Goldie

Great observation. Since I've been working on taking care of myself and meeting my needs, I really have a hard time being around martyrs. Why they think they are better than the rest of us becuase they perceive their issues to be so much bigger than ours is beyond me.

Thanks!GillianGillian Hood-son, MS, ACSMHealthier OutcomesIt's not just about losing weight! Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight? Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt Free Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

Guest guest

Lucky for you (and all of us here), we never have to diet again. Yippie!!!

>

>

> Hi , it's so good to hear from people like you. Like me, I am

such an

> emotional eater and I have never have figured out what my problem

is. That's

> why I am going to get the IE book first and see if it helps me and

join you all

> for the support here. I am so looking forward into joining all of you

> because I think the emotional eating is my biggest problem. ,

I don't think I

> could do another diet again either. Goldie

>

> Hi Goldie~

>

> I wanted to echo Alana and Gillian. I was on WW before doing IE. My

> experience was great for the first year and a half I was on it. But I

> never dealt with my emotions. As a result, by the time I stopped going

> to WW, I had gained back all of the weight and was on the brink of

> getting an eating disorder. Before I even knew about IE, I knew that I

> could not do another diet again because I was already on a dangerous

> path and knew that I had to work on accepting my emotions and enjoying

> them (even being sad).

>

> While I gained a bit of weight initially with IE, I learned to love my

> body where it is, I've learned how to start to identify my emotions

> and sit with them and I've learned to not worry so much about what/how

> much/when I'm eating and instead just enjoy it.

>

> We've all been where you are and the book definitely helps start the

> process.

>

> Good luck!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

>

Guest guest

Press,

You have no idea how much alike we are! I am so interested in the Bible from a scholarly perspective. I constantly watch all the History Channel shows about Biblical archeology and the origins of the Biblical stories. I am a "seeker" as they call it at the church I sometimes attend and I think that's just my prove-it-to-me nature (I am technically a scientist, being an exercise physiologist) and my love for learning. My devout Christian friends think I'm funny, but they accept me as I am, which is cool. I find it all very fascinating. But I've talked to the adult pastor at my church a couple times, and it sure does help, it's nice to know that there is a greater force than us out there, at least nice to know that so many others believe that.

That's so cool, you just never know what kind of connections you are going to have with people! Thanks for sharing that!

Thanks!GillianGillian Hood-son, MS, ACSMHealthier OutcomesIt's not just about losing weight! Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight? Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt Free Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of press182Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:02 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

Gillian,You and I are so alike it's almost kind of scary.Sorry that you broke your leg! I know it was awhile ago, but I'm glad you came through it. Yikes!It's funny, I HAVE been thinking that the past almost 3 years happened for a reason. Last fall I told my husband I wanted to start going to church. Just out of the blue and I was not what you call a religious or spiritual person.I met a wonderful pastor who seems to share your idea that things happen for a reason. I thought the whole ordeal was God's way of telling me I'm not doing something? I thought it might be to bring me to God, so to speak, but I wonder if it's more than that?Going to church DID show me that my focus has been on the wrong things. "Keeping up with the es", being the "hottest chick on the block", never having enough or being satisfied.It's really weird, but when I was a littl kid in Catholic School, I thought it would be great to be a nun. I was fascinated by it. However, looking back, most of the little girls were, too.The convent was pretty bad ass! My favorite classes in high school and in college were theology based.Not necessarily Christian, either.I've had this desire to study the life of Christ, the Bible, etc from a scholarly perspective...not just a "Bible Study Persepective". If I make sense. I want to know "about" the book itself. It's odd. >> Press,> > I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I needed to be> someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood. It also makes> me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool things in my> life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe this was> supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I wouldn't be here> helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which took a long> time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are going through> is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going through whenever> I'm dealing with something difficult. > > > Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with adversity, see> what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. Any> thoughts?> > Thanks!> Gillian> > Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM> Healthier Outcomes> It's not just about losing weight!> > > Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight?> > Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt Free> Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com> <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com/> > > > _____ > >

Guest guest

Alana,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. As you know, I'm not familiar with shadow work, but I believe I do something similar. When we are feeling a feeling about a situation, chances are it is not about the present situation. It's usually about a past situation and those feelings are just coming back up. I know for myself, it has helped me to ask when was a time in the past that I have felt that feeling. Once I identify a time, I can look at how things worked out. Usually things worked out the way I hoped (therefore worrying did absolutely no good), or things didn't work out the way I hoped, but it turned out to be a good thing in the long run. Hopefully that makes sense. But it gives me a great sense of peace knowing that my feelings are usually just "old stuff".

Great post, thank you!

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of ajslinton@...Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:28 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Re: Weight Watchers

After years of on again-off again therapy, I finally starting working with life coaches. The first coach I worked with did what is called Shadow Belief work. You can find out more about this on

DebbieFord.com. Another great website that goes through similar work is innerbonding.com. Basically, when I am feeling emotional, I look back over my life to an earlier time when I felt the same way. I then can assiciate where the feelings stem from. Often times it is from when I was a child. I then in my mind imagine my adult self assuring, loving and taking care of the hurt child that orginally felt the same way. It's an amazing process and life changing. If you are going to pursue this I highly recommend working with a therapist or coach trained in this type of work. You really cannot do it alone. I know others on here have talked about just closing their eyes and sitting with the feelings. I know Gillian, our moderator might have some suggestions as well, and she is an IE coach. She is amazing. You might want to talk with her off line.

--Alana

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Gldmdlstaol

Alana, what did you do? I do have a lot of emotions and that's one reason why I am an emotional eater. I do agree with what you are saying. I am glad that I am not alone here, Alana. I might need to talk to you all some more. Goldie

I think everyone on here is an emotional eater to some degree or another. It is how we have learned to take care of ourselves. It is not something that is changed overnight. It is hard work to learn to feel emotions rather than stuff them down with food. And often times those feelings are uncomortable. But it is very freeing to be able to just "sit" with whatever you are feeling and not turn to the food to get through whatever is bugging us. Do not feel like like you are alone, because you certainly are not.

--Alana

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Guest guest

Great observation. Since I've been working on taking care of myself and meeting my needs, I really have a hard time being around martyrs. Why they think they are better than the rest of us becuase they perceive their issues to be so much bigger than ours is beyond me.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of jkarczeSent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:21 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

I must say, Gillian you reminded me of something I just started tonotice... Recently, I've noticed a lot of people pulling the "Youdon't know what I'm going through card" on me. And my gut response is to be like: "Sure I do, because while you havesomething going on, so do I. It might not be exactly the same but Iknow that we both have choices about how we handle it. I know that wehave control over our reaction to it. I know that maybe it hasn'texactly happened to me, but I'm pretty sure that something in my lifeis similar enough that I can find a way to relate."Why is it in this world today - we all still think that ourproblems/issues are so specific and special to us that no one canrelate to them? Maybe if we realized that they aren't really thatspecial and allowed others to listen to us and us to them - the HUGEproblem in our mind, might end up shrinking in size because we learnedto handle our own perspective on the problem. Hmmm.... Ok. That was a bit of a philosophical rant. But justrecently, realized the above myself and I needed to put it to words. >> Press,> It was funny,> they would be complaining about pain and they would say, well youdon't know> what I'm going through and I loved when I could say, oh yeah? Iabsolutely> can. Shut them up right away. It was fun.> > Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced withadversity, see> what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. Any> thoughts?> > Thanks!> Gillian>

Guest guest

Hi Goldie,

Yes, it's really common that those of us who use food for emotional needs are also people that put ourselves last. What I see is that we use food to meet our needs, although we usually don't realize it. Many of us have been raised to put ourselves last, but when we do, we are going to find something to help soothe ourselves, and for a lot of us, that's food. When you are eating or wanting to eat and you aren't hungry, that's often a sign you have a need that isn't being met.

Although it takes practice, you can figure out what that need is. I recommend asking yourself what it is you're feeling and then what it is you really need. It takes time to develop this skill, just like identifying hunger and fullness, but over time you'll get it and will be able to find more effective ways to get your needs met than eating. In fact, you'll find that food doesn't even work anymore. That's weird when it happens, but it's also pretty cool because that compulsion to overeat goes away.

Be patient, give yourself time, and know that you're going to get there. And, you're going to learn a lot about yourself in the process!

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of Gldmdlst@...Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:09 PMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Re: Weight Watchers

Gillian, I think that this is part of my problem too. I am a giver and sometimes I don't take care of myself. Can that be part of it? I give in too much to people. Even my Mom says that and I said that you brought me up that way. Now, how can I get out of it? Goldie

Guest guest

No way.

It's funny because friends have told me to start a blog--I don't

think I'm much of a writer.

However, I thought it would be neat to have a blog where I talk about

my spiritual studies.

I've also wondered how I could use what I'm learning about IE and body

acceptance to help others.

Though I'm struggling, I thought it would be an excellent thing for

our church's Youth Group to hear about.

Health at Every size and learning to be accepting of people not just

racially, but physically.

Hmm...

> >

> > Press,

> >

> > I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I

> needed to be

> > someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood. It

> also makes

> > me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool

things

> in my

> > life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe

> this was

> > supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I

wouldn't

> be here

> > helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which

took

> a long

> > time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are

going

> through

> > is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going

through

> whenever

> > I'm dealing with something difficult.

> >

>

> >

> > Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with

> adversity, see

> > what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is.

Any

> > thoughts?

> >

> > Thanks!

> > Gillian

> >

> > Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM

> > Healthier Outcomes

> > It's not just about losing weight!

> >

> >

> > Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight?

> >

> > Get your copy of our fr*e special report, " 6 Simple Steps to

Guilt

> Free

> > Eating " by visiting http://www.healthie

<http://www.healthieroutcomes.com>

> routcomes.com

> > <http://www.healthie <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com/>

routcomes.com/>

> >

> >

> > _____

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I think it would be great to start a blog about your spiritual

studies. Many times another person can benefit by things you share.

This string is really interesting-- and I appreciate all of you

sharing your thoughts on it.

As far as Bibical Archeology, there has been remains found of

Egyptian chariot wheels in the area where Moses was supposed to have

crossed. I love Archeology.

On another note, did you know the chemical composition percentage

wise in a person's body is the same as dirt? It backs up the story of

man being made from the earth.

Over the past year, I have been attending fairly regularly a church

and have made several friends there. There are regular activities,

and the message is good.I had quit attending churches since people

there hurt my feelings. But, here, there are also encouraging people.

Since we are on a spiritual sharing here, I would like to share

mine. I have a personal relationship with God through Jesus because

of his death, burial and resurrection because the sin in my life

separated me from God. God and Jesus are very real to me. I still get

frustrated with circumstances and have blamed them on God and been

angry with him, but, he still forgives me and picks me up.

God hangs in there with me no matter what people say about me, no

matter how judgemental they can get, the lies they tell or what they

believe. It is like having the perfect father who always wants what's

best for you. It is like when you are frustrated, he sends people or

shows scripture to encourage you.

We are all human; we all make mistakes. God often shows me how to

overcome them or wants me to trust him when he chooses not to give me

the answers. He is showing me how to be a better person. I am not

anywhere near the person he had destined for me to be.

God's will for me is to be giving and helpful to others. To be

willing to be used by him.

Everyone's walk is different-- we all have different obstacles to

overcome, but, God is more than willing to walk through it with us.

God Bless you and Take care.

Helen

> > >

> > > Press,

> > >

> > > I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I

> > needed to be

> > > someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood.

It

> > also makes

> > > me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool

> things

> > in my

> > > life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe

> > this was

> > > supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I

> wouldn't

> > be here

> > > helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which

> took

> > a long

> > > time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are

> going

> > through

> > > is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going

> through

> > whenever

> > > I'm dealing with something difficult.

> > >

> >

> > >

> > > Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with

> > adversity, see

> > > what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining

is.

> Any

> > > thoughts?

> > >

> > > Thanks!

> > > Gillian

> > >

> > > Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM

> > > Healthier Outcomes

> > > It's not just about losing weight!

> > >

> > >

> > > Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight?

> > >

> > > Get your copy of our fr*e special report, " 6 Simple Steps to

> Guilt

> > Free

> > > Eating " by visiting http://www.healthie

> <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com>

> > routcomes.com

> > > <http://www.healthie <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com/>

> routcomes.com/>

> > >

> > >

> > > _____

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Alison, I haven't set up any boundaries yet, and I think I might have to do just that. I am also a caregiver to my Mom and when I get stressed out, I eat for comfort. I know now that I am not alone here. This does strike a chord to me also and I think I am going to have to learn to set limits and boundaries. Goldie

Dr. Phil says we teach people how to treat us. How do you set limits or boundaries on what you will accept, Goldie? I know this wasn't addressed to me but the conversations strikes a chord. Good luck as you do this internal work.Alison

Guest guest

Dr. Phil says we teach people how to treat us. How do you set limits or

boundaries on what you will accept, Goldie? I know this wasn't

addressed to me but the conversations strikes a chord. Good luck as you

do this internal work.

Alison

Gldmdlst@... wrote:

Gillian, I think that this is part of my problem too. I am a

giver and sometimes I don't take care of myself. Can that be part of

it? I give in too much to people. Even my Mom says that and I said that

you brought me up that way. Now, how can I get out of it? Goldie

Great observation. Since I've

been working on taking care of myself and meeting my needs, I really

have a hard time being around martyrs. Why they think they are better

than the rest of us becuase they perceive their issues to be so much

bigger than ours is beyond me.

Thanks!

Gillian

Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM

Healthier Outcomes

It's not just about losing weight!

Want to eat your favorite foods

without gaining weight?

Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt

Free Eating" by visiting http://www.healthieroutcomes.com

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL

Music.

Guest guest

Hi Press,

Just catching up finally!

It's funny how we can find connections with people we wouldn't have known without the internet. It's so cool.

I love the idea of an Health at Any Size class. When I think of church, I think of compassion, and teaching people, especially young people, to have compassion and respect for people regardless of size would be wonderful. It's really the last "acceptable" prejudice, and it makes me mad. I keep seeing it in movies, all the fat jokes, and it just has to stop. But that's a rant for another day. :)

At the church that I sometimes attend, we had the adult pastor's wife speak about her struggles with her weight and acceptance. I believe she was bulemic and she discovered that it was disrespectful to the body she was given to treat it in such a way. I loved that.

One aspect of my business is teaching a group IE program based on the book "Am I Hungry?" and some of the facilitators are writing companion guides for special populations or situations, such as diabetes or children. I'm writing one to help coaches learn to coach the material (it's only offered as a class right now, not a coaching program) and a good friend of mine wrote a companion guide for Christians. She did a great job. Anyway, I bring this up because there are many ways to present the material and I know that it's being offered in churches all over the country, which is wonderful.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of press182Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 6:35 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

No way.It's funny because friends have told me to start a blog--I don't think I'm much of a writer.However, I thought it would be neat to have a blog where I talk about my spiritual studies. I've also wondered how I could use what I'm learning about IE and bodyacceptance to help others. Though I'm struggling, I thought it would be an excellent thing for our church's Youth Group to hear about.Health at Every size and learning to be accepting of people not just racially, but physically.Hmm...> >> > Press,> > > > I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I > needed to be> > someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood. It > also makes> > me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool things > in my> > life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe > this was> > supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I wouldn't > be here> > helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which took > a long> > time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are going > through> > is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going through > whenever> > I'm dealing with something difficult. > > > > > > > Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with > adversity, see> > what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. Any> > thoughts?> > > > Thanks!> > Gillian> > > > Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM> > Healthier Outcomes> > It's not just about losing weight!> > > > > > Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight?> > > > Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to Guilt > Free> > Eating" by visiting http://www.healthie <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com>> routcomes.com> > <http://www.healthie <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com/> routcomes.com/> > > > > > > _____ > > > >>

Guest guest

Thank you for sharing, Helen! There are so many ways to walk this path of IE and hearing all the different stories I believe are helpful for everyone. You never know who in this group will be helped by something you share! I know there are many members who don't post but have told me they benefit so much from what everyone has to say.

From: IntuitiveEating_Support [mailto:IntuitiveEating_Support ] On Behalf Of HelenSent: Friday, January 25, 2008 7:38 AMTo: IntuitiveEating_Support Subject: Re: Weight Watchers

I think it would be great to start a blog about your spiritual studies. Many times another person can benefit by things you share. This string is really interesting-- and I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts on it. As far as Bibical Archeology, there has been remains found of Egyptian chariot wheels in the area where Moses was supposed to have crossed. I love Archeology.On another note, did you know the chemical composition percentage wise in a person's body is the same as dirt? It backs up the story of man being made from the earth. Over the past year, I have been attending fairly regularly a church and have made several friends there. There are regular activities, and the message is good.I had quit attending churches since people there hurt my feelings. But, here, there are also encouraging people. Since we are on a spiritual sharing here, I would like to share mine. I have a personal relationship with God through Jesus because of his death, burial and resurrection because the sin in my life separated me from God. God and Jesus are very real to me. I still get frustrated with circumstances and have blamed them on God and been angry with him, but, he still forgives me and picks me up. God hangs in there with me no matter what people say about me, no matter how judgemental they can get, the lies they tell or what they believe. It is like having the perfect father who always wants what's best for you. It is like when you are frustrated, he sends people or shows scripture to encourage you. We are all human; we all make mistakes. God often shows me how to overcome them or wants me to trust him when he chooses not to give me the answers. He is showing me how to be a better person. I am not anywhere near the person he had destined for me to be. God's will for me is to be giving and helpful to others. To be willing to be used by him. Everyone's walk is different-- we all have different obstacles to overcome, but, God is more than willing to walk through it with us. God Bless you and Take care. Helen > > >> > > Press,> > > > > > I can totally relate about being mad. I spent years thinking I > > needed to be> > > someone else, because I was told that throughout my childhood. It > > also makes> > > me sad, sometimes I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool > things > > in my> > > life because I felt inadequate. But at the same time, I believe > > this was> > > supposed to be my journey, if I didn't live through it, I > wouldn't > > be here> > > helping others, which is my passion and mission in life (which > took > > a long> > > time to find). Has it ever occurred to you that what you are > going > > through> > > is for a reason? I try to find a reason for what I'm going > through > > whenever> > > I'm dealing with something difficult. > > > > > > > > > > > Anyway, just a perspective that came to mind. When faced with > > adversity, see> > > what lesson you can learn from it and what the silver lining is. > Any> > > thoughts?> > > > > > Thanks!> > > Gillian> > > > > > Gillian Hood-son, MS, ACSM> > > Healthier Outcomes> > > It's not just about losing weight!> > > > > > > > > Want to eat your favorite foods without gaining weight?> > > > > > Get your copy of our fr*e special report, "6 Simple Steps to > Guilt > > Free> > > Eating" by visiting http://www.healthie > <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com>> > routcomes.com> > > <http://www.healthie <http://www.healthieroutcomes.com/> > routcomes.com/> > > > > > > > > > _____ > > > > > >> >>