Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have already joined, thank you! I have also already started cutting out

oxalates for my kids. What is hardest for us is the nuts and seeds, because we

were using almond flour as a replacement for awesome baking and even in raw

bars, I was adding all kinds of nuts and seeds (all soaked and/or sprouted) to

our energy bars. The spinach I can do without now that I know kale is safe, woo

hooo! And celery was a big one for us, I used it in dressings to make them

" creamy " , or making celery and nut butter...oh and speaking of dressings, one of

my kids' favorite dressing was made primarily with cashews....it was creamy and

tasted like ranch. They will eat anything with a dip they love, and getting

veggies into my two year old always takes talent! Are garbanzo beans high too,

I can't remember, but hummus is another favorite....dips, dips, dips....it's

what runs my household! So it's more about the flavors they like, that I have

adapted them to. If I can find equivilants for these dips, we will be golden,

but it doesn't look promising. I also know that there are a lot of grains on

the list and we have a hard time with breakfasts as it is. We make Teff

pancakes a lot, I can probably find a recipe for coconut flour (which I just

ordered), at least oatmeal is still fairly ok, and eggs....I am also glad to

hear that mung beans are safe, I sprout them often and I use a mung bean pasta

for the kids (we avoid rice and potatoes already).

It's a lot of change for us, considering we were doing a modified raw diet for a

while....glad to hear I can still make kale chips!

> >

> > , you have no idea how much I appreciate the time it obviously took you

to compile this response. It has been very helpful and actually you did remind

me of why we didn't stick to the LOD when we were trying it. Our son had 23

food sensitivities at the time (when we also found out about the high oxalates

on his OAT, as well and elevated yeast and bacteria), so we were forced to make

a decision. We couldn't remove 23 foods to reduce his sensitivities and ALSO

remove high oxalate foods, because they didn't overlap, which meant reducing his

diet to such unhealthy, limited choices. I am no stranger to diet change and

when I feel it's warranted, have been known to go cold turkey overnight, but

we've had such a challenge with so many layers that we had to pick and choose

our battles. I also did not have this information at hand. I called GPL and

spoke with a doctor there who convinced me that the LOD wasn't beneficial! They

didn't like to see kids on it. Imagine that?

> >

> > We are now in a place where I feel he has less food sensitivities (based

only on symptoms) and has not reacted as much when reintroducing most of the

foods on his list. We still avoid gluten, casein, and potato, but I think we

have more leniency with his diet now allowing us room to try the LOD. My only

problem with it is that it seems like a LOT of very nutritious foods are being

removed and that is something I have a very hard time with, especially since

these kids are already losing other foods with nutritional value. We have been

relying on foods like spinach and kale a lot, a lot of raw veggies with high

nutritional value.

> >

> > I assume there is a yahoo group or site where I can learn more about the

supplements needed and how to proceed. We had just recently gone with more raw

foods and had increased things like almond (for baking) and cashews as dips and

dressings, buckwheat in energy bars...sprouted and soaked, of course, does this

change ANY of it? One can wish....sigh. I just bought a dehydrator and many

books on raw foods. It's so exhausting to make so much change, just to have to

change it all yet again....Again, thank you so much for the information, it jump

started my research. I can tell you that two years ago, my son's oxalates were

very high (129.72) on his GPL OAT. I haven't tested again recently, out of

sheer cost. I would love to know what it's like now.

> >

> >

> >

>

Garbanzos are medium. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds can be nut replacements. Sunbutter is awesome. Pumpkin seed butter is green :-O --- ToniTo: mb12 valtrex Sent: Thu, September 23, 2010 10:15:28 PMSubject: Re:

Oxalates

I have already joined, thank you! I have also already started cutting out oxalates for my kids. What is hardest for us is the nuts and seeds, because we were using almond flour as a replacement for awesome baking and even in raw bars, I was adding all kinds of nuts and seeds (all soaked and/or sprouted) to our energy bars. The spinach I can do without now that I know kale is safe, woo hooo! And celery was a big one for us, I used it in dressings to make them "creamy", or making celery and nut butter...oh and speaking of dressings, one of my kids' favorite dressing was made primarily with cashews....it was creamy and tasted like ranch. They will eat anything with a dip they love, and getting veggies into my two year old always takes talent! Are garbanzo beans high too, I can't remember, but hummus is another favorite....dips, dips, dips....it's what runs my household! So it's more about the flavors they like, that I have adapted them to. If I can find equivilants for these dips, we will be golden, but it doesn't look promising. I also know that there are a lot of grains on the list and we have a hard time with breakfasts as it is. We make Teff pancakes a lot, I can probably find a recipe for coconut flour (which I just ordered), at least oatmeal is still fairly ok, and eggs....I am also glad to hear that mung beans are safe, I sprout them often and I use a mung bean pasta for the kids (we avoid rice and potatoes already).

It's a lot of change for us, considering we were doing a modified raw diet for a while....glad to hear I can still make kale chips!

> >

> > , you have no idea how much I appreciate the time it obviously took you to compile this response. It has been very helpful and actually you did remind me of why we didn't stick to the LOD when we were trying it. Our son had 23 food sensitivities at the time (when we also found out about the high oxalates on his OAT, as well and elevated yeast and bacteria), so we were forced to make a decision. We couldn't remove 23 foods to reduce his sensitivities and ALSO remove high oxalate foods, because they didn't overlap, which meant reducing his diet to such unhealthy, limited choices. I am no stranger to diet change and when I feel it's warranted, have been known to go cold turkey overnight, but we've had such a challenge with so many layers that we had to pick and choose our battles. I also did not have this information at hand. I called GPL and spoke with a doctor there who convinced me that the LOD wasn't beneficial! They didn't like to

see kids on it. Imagine that?

> >

> > We are now in a place where I feel he has less food sensitivities (based only on symptoms) and has not reacted as much when reintroducing most of the foods on his list. We still avoid gluten, casein, and potato, but I think we have more leniency with his diet now allowing us room to try the LOD. My only problem with it is that it seems like a LOT of very nutritious foods are being removed and that is something I have a very hard time with, especially since these kids are already losing other foods with nutritional value. We have been relying on foods like spinach and kale a lot, a lot of raw veggies with high nutritional value.

> >

> > I assume there is a yahoo group or site where I can learn more about the supplements needed and how to proceed. We had just recently gone with more raw foods and had increased things like almond (for baking) and cashews as dips and dressings, buckwheat in energy bars...sprouted and soaked, of course, does this change ANY of it? One can wish....sigh. I just bought a dehydrator and many books on raw foods. It's so exhausting to make so much change, just to have to change it all yet again....Again, thank you so much for the information, it jump started my research. I can tell you that two years ago, my son's oxalates were very high (129.72) on his GPL OAT. I haven't tested again recently, out of sheer cost. I would love to know what it's like now.

> >

> >

> >

>

Garbanzos are medium. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds can be nut replacements. Sunbutter is awesome. Pumpkin seed butter is green :-O --- ToniTo: mb12 valtrex Sent: Thu, September 23, 2010 10:15:28 PMSubject: Re:

Oxalates

I have already joined, thank you! I have also already started cutting out oxalates for my kids. What is hardest for us is the nuts and seeds, because we were using almond flour as a replacement for awesome baking and even in raw bars, I was adding all kinds of nuts and seeds (all soaked and/or sprouted) to our energy bars. The spinach I can do without now that I know kale is safe, woo hooo! And celery was a big one for us, I used it in dressings to make them "creamy", or making celery and nut butter...oh and speaking of dressings, one of my kids' favorite dressing was made primarily with cashews....it was creamy and tasted like ranch. They will eat anything with a dip they love, and getting veggies into my two year old always takes talent! Are garbanzo beans high too, I can't remember, but hummus is another favorite....dips, dips, dips....it's what runs my household! So it's more about the flavors they like, that I have adapted them to. If I can find equivilants for these dips, we will be golden, but it doesn't look promising. I also know that there are a lot of grains on the list and we have a hard time with breakfasts as it is. We make Teff pancakes a lot, I can probably find a recipe for coconut flour (which I just ordered), at least oatmeal is still fairly ok, and eggs....I am also glad to hear that mung beans are safe, I sprout them often and I use a mung bean pasta for the kids (we avoid rice and potatoes already).

It's a lot of change for us, considering we were doing a modified raw diet for a while....glad to hear I can still make kale chips!

> >

> > , you have no idea how much I appreciate the time it obviously took you to compile this response. It has been very helpful and actually you did remind me of why we didn't stick to the LOD when we were trying it. Our son had 23 food sensitivities at the time (when we also found out about the high oxalates on his OAT, as well and elevated yeast and bacteria), so we were forced to make a decision. We couldn't remove 23 foods to reduce his sensitivities and ALSO remove high oxalate foods, because they didn't overlap, which meant reducing his diet to such unhealthy, limited choices. I am no stranger to diet change and when I feel it's warranted, have been known to go cold turkey overnight, but we've had such a challenge with so many layers that we had to pick and choose our battles. I also did not have this information at hand. I called GPL and spoke with a doctor there who convinced me that the LOD wasn't beneficial! They didn't like to

> >

> > We are now in a place where I feel he has less food sensitivities (based only on symptoms) and has not reacted as much when reintroducing most of the foods on his list. We still avoid gluten, casein, and potato, but I think we have more leniency with his diet now allowing us room to try the LOD. My only problem with it is that it seems like a LOT of very nutritious foods are being removed and that is something I have a very hard time with, especially since these kids are already losing other foods with nutritional value. We have been relying on foods like spinach and kale a lot, a lot of raw veggies with high nutritional value.

> >

> > I assume there is a yahoo group or site where I can learn more about the supplements needed and how to proceed. We had just recently gone with more raw foods and had increased things like almond (for baking) and cashews as dips and dressings, buckwheat in energy bars...sprouted and soaked, of course, does this change ANY of it? One can wish....sigh. I just bought a dehydrator and many books on raw foods. It's so exhausting to make so much change, just to have to change it all yet again....Again, thank you so much for the information, it jump started my research. I can tell you that two years ago, my son's oxalates were very high (129.72) on his GPL OAT. I haven't tested again recently, out of sheer cost. I would love to know what it's like now.

> >

> >

> >

>

Oh, my salads now are like this:mixed lettuces, topped with marinated artichoke hearts, a bit more oil, a bit of vinegar, and some protein (hard boiled egg, chicken or steak, bacon) and some seeds.I have been known to throw some GF pretzels on top in lieu of croutons. My salads are very good :-)I get something from 's Kitchen in the refrig/ case at Whole Foods. I think it's mango salsa salad dressing and marinade. Good and spicy. --- ToniTo: mb12 valtrex Sent: Thu, September 23, 2010 10:15:28 PMSubject: Re: Oxalates

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Yes, its very easy to make a hummus and leave out the tahini (sesame seeds are

incredibly high in oxalate) but sesame oil is not high, and that is where you

get the flavor, so just use the oil that has a sort of roasty toasty taste.

Pumpkin seeds are reasonably low and make a greenish butter which you can buy

already in butter form from Jarrow, but I buy roasted pumpkin seeds at the

health food store and grind the butter in a coffee grinder. (You can also make

pumpkin seed flour that way using the raw pumpkin seeds.) At any rate you can

make something like pesto if you use cilantro (low) rather than parsley (very

high) and nix the pine nuts (very high).

Quinoa, Amaranth and Buckwheat and all the nut flours are sky high in oxalate,

but all the starch flours are low, whether rice, potato, tapioca, or even green

bean starch flour you can buy at an oriental store. You can use rice paper and

all the rice pastas you can find at the oriental store, and the price is VERY

right....no more than wheat pasta at a regular store. There you can get

macaroni's, every sized noodle, twists, you name it. Many of our moms have

devised crackers you can make yourself out of the low oxalate flours.

Udi breads mostly appear to be made from lower oxalate flours.

We learned that by mixing equal parts of sweet rice flour (much lower than white

rice flour and much, much lower than brown rice flour, and I buy it at the

oriental store), coconut flour, and potato starch flour (also a standard at

oriental grocery stores), it makes a flour that if you use it in fried foods has

a fabulous taste and texture, rivaling wheat. The sweet rice flour (very low)

is great as a thickener, and when used for fried foods, it seals the juices in

better than wheat flour does, which is very nice.

The pie crust recipe called " Featherlight " in Bette Hagman's cookbooks is made

from low oxalate flours and it is a better pastry than your can make from wheat.

Cherries, blueberries, and apples are all fine on low oxalate so you can make

your traditional pies. (No rhubarb...ever!)

A lady named on our listserve has dazzled us with a crepe recipe that is

to die for, and a wonderful MOIST, gluten free low oxalate bread that can make

thin slices that won't fall apart.

Like any autism diet, this one takes some adjusting, but the results in taste

are wonderful, and many children, after they get off their addiction to high

oxalate foods (and yes, it seems addictive in that people select for them), then

many children begin eating a much larger variety of foods... We also find many

children stop being so famished, and are finally satisfied and at the same time

they are growing again, and putting on muscle and strength, and new social

skills that have them out in the neighborhood playing with the other kids.

I just think a lot of the people who thought this diet was too restrictive were

using food lists that were so incomplete that they had no idea what delicacies

can be made with the choices now available. Through the generous donations to

our project at the Autism Research Institute, we have tested a lot of

gluten-free foods that you cannot find on internet lists or kidney sites.

I'm sure that when SCD first became known that people didn't know HOW to cook

with those restrictions, but then after creative cooks got working, they came up

with some recipes that are now " must do's " if you do SCD. Similarly, we have a

big recipe section on our listserve that has these " mommy " creations. It makes

no sense to try to do this diet without these helps!

Like anything, changing is an adaptation, but once you learn the ropes, the

creativity and fun with it begin.

I hope this post helps inspire a few people who didn't consider LOD because they

dreaded the idea of a transition....

susan where is that site?

Re: Oxalates

,Yes, its very easy to make a hummus and leave out the tahini (sesame seeds are incredibly high in oxalate) but sesame oil is not high, and that is where you get the flavor, so just use the oil that has a sort of roasty toasty taste.Pumpkin seeds are reasonably low and make a greenish butter which you can buy already in butter form from Jarrow, but I buy roasted pumpkin seeds at the health food store and grind the butter in a coffee grinder. (You can also make pumpkin seed flour that way using the raw pumpkin seeds.) At any rate you can make something like pesto if you use cilantro (low) rather than parsley (very high) and nix the pine nuts (very high).Quinoa, Amaranth and Buckwheat and all the nut flours are sky high in oxalate, but all the starch flours are low, whether rice, potato, tapioca, or even green bean starch flour you can buy at an oriental store. You can use rice paper and all the rice pastas you can find at the oriental store, and the price is VERY right....no more than wheat pasta at a regular store. There you can get macaroni's, every sized noodle, twists, you name it. Many of our moms have devised crackers you can make yourself out of the low oxalate flours. Udi breads mostly appear to be made from lower oxalate flours.We learned that by mixing equal parts of sweet rice flour (much lower than white rice flour and much, much lower than brown rice flour, and I buy it at the oriental store), coconut flour, and potato starch flour (also a standard at oriental grocery stores), it makes a flour that if you use it in fried foods has a fabulous taste and texture, rivaling wheat. The sweet rice flour (very low) is great as a thickener, and when used for fried foods, it seals the juices in better than wheat flour does, which is very nice.The pie crust recipe called "Featherlight" in Bette Hagman's cookbooks is made from low oxalate flours and it is a better pastry than your can make from wheat. Cherries, blueberries, and apples are all fine on low oxalate so you can make your traditional pies. (No rhubarb...ever!)A lady named on our listserve has dazzled us with a crepe recipe that is to die for, and a wonderful MOIST, gluten free low oxalate bread that can make thin slices that won't fall apart.Like any autism diet, this one takes some adjusting, but the results in taste are wonderful, and many children, after they get off their addiction to high oxalate foods (and yes, it seems addictive in that people select for them), then many children begin eating a much larger variety of foods... We also find many children stop being so famished, and are finally satisfied and at the same time they are growing again, and putting on muscle and strength, and new social skills that have them out in the neighborhood playing with the other kids.I just think a lot of the people who thought this diet was too restrictive were using food lists that were so incomplete that they had no idea what delicacies can be made with the choices now available. Through the generous donations to our project at the Autism Research Institute, we have tested a lot of gluten-free foods that you cannot find on internet lists or kidney sites.I'm sure that when SCD first became known that people didn't know HOW to cook with those restrictions, but then after creative cooks got working, they came up with some recipes that are now "must do's" if you do SCD. Similarly, we have a big recipe section on our listserve that has these "mommy" creations. It makes no sense to try to do this diet without these helps!Like anything, changing is an adaptation, but once you learn the ropes, the creativity and fun with it begin.I hope this post helps inspire a few people who didn't consider LOD because they dreaded the idea of a transition....

susan where is that site?

Re: Oxalates

,Yes, its very easy to make a hummus and leave out the tahini (sesame seeds are incredibly high in oxalate) but sesame oil is not high, and that is where you get the flavor, so just use the oil that has a sort of roasty toasty taste.Pumpkin seeds are reasonably low and make a greenish butter which you can buy already in butter form from Jarrow, but I buy roasted pumpkin seeds at the health food store and grind the butter in a coffee grinder. (You can also make pumpkin seed flour that way using the raw pumpkin seeds.) At any rate you can make something like pesto if you use cilantro (low) rather than parsley (very high) and nix the pine nuts (very high).Quinoa, Amaranth and Buckwheat and all the nut flours are sky high in oxalate, but all the starch flours are low, whether rice, potato, tapioca, or even green bean starch flour you can buy at an oriental store. You can use rice paper and all the rice pastas you can find at the oriental store, and the price is VERY right....no more than wheat pasta at a regular store. There you can get macaroni's, every sized noodle, twists, you name it. Many of our moms have devised crackers you can make yourself out of the low oxalate flours. Udi breads mostly appear to be made from lower oxalate flours.We learned that by mixing equal parts of sweet rice flour (much lower than white rice flour and much, much lower than brown rice flour, and I buy it at the oriental store), coconut flour, and potato starch flour (also a standard at oriental grocery stores), it makes a flour that if you use it in fried foods has a fabulous taste and texture, rivaling wheat. The sweet rice flour (very low) is great as a thickener, and when used for fried foods, it seals the juices in better than wheat flour does, which is very nice.The pie crust recipe called "Featherlight" in Bette Hagman's cookbooks is made from low oxalate flours and it is a better pastry than your can make from wheat. Cherries, blueberries, and apples are all fine on low oxalate so you can make your traditional pies. (No rhubarb...ever!)A lady named on our listserve has dazzled us with a crepe recipe that is to die for, and a wonderful MOIST, gluten free low oxalate bread that can make thin slices that won't fall apart.Like any autism diet, this one takes some adjusting, but the results in taste are wonderful, and many children, after they get off their addiction to high oxalate foods (and yes, it seems addictive in that people select for them), then many children begin eating a much larger variety of foods... We also find many children stop being so famished, and are finally satisfied and at the same time they are growing again, and putting on muscle and strength, and new social skills that have them out in the neighborhood playing with the other kids.I just think a lot of the people who thought this diet was too restrictive were using food lists that were so incomplete that they had no idea what delicacies can be made with the choices now available. Through the generous donations to our project at the Autism Research Institute, we have tested a lot of gluten-free foods that you cannot find on internet lists or kidney sites.I'm sure that when SCD first became known that people didn't know HOW to cook with those restrictions, but then after creative cooks got working, they came up with some recipes that are now "must do's" if you do SCD. Similarly, we have a big recipe section on our listserve that has these "mommy" creations. It makes no sense to try to do this diet without these helps!Like anything, changing is an adaptation, but once you learn the ropes, the creativity and fun with it begin.I hope this post helps inspire a few people who didn't consider LOD because they dreaded the idea of a transition....

Thank you Toni. We have actually been using Sunbutter for a while now and I make

my own nut butters too, so I tried a sun/pumpkin butter once, but didn't like it

too much. I will keep experimenting. My older son doesn't like sunbutter at

all, so I need to find some sort of alternative, lol. Maybe just pumpkin seeds

will be good with some sea salt and coconut nectar. Do you know if chia and

hemp seeds have been rated for oxalate levels? I know flax is not high which is

good, but we make our milk out of organic hemp seeds.

> > >

> > > , you have no idea how much I appreciate the time it obviously took

you

> >to compile this response. It has been very helpful and actually you did

remind

> >me of why we didn't stick to the LOD when we were trying it. Our son had 23

> >food sensitivities at the time (when we also found out about the high

oxalates

> >on his OAT, as well and elevated yeast and bacteria), so we were forced to

make

> >a decision. We couldn't remove 23 foods to reduce his sensitivities and ALSO

> >remove high oxalate foods, because they didn't overlap, which meant reducing

his

> >diet to such unhealthy, limited choices. I am no stranger to diet change and

> >when I feel it's warranted, have been known to go cold turkey overnight, but

> >we've had such a challenge with so many layers that we had to pick and choose

> >our battles. I also did not have this information at hand. I called GPL and

> >spoke with a doctor there who convinced me that the LOD wasn't beneficial!

They

> >didn't like to see kids on it. Imagine that?

> >

> > >

> > > We are now in a place where I feel he has less food sensitivities (based

only

> >on symptoms) and has not reacted as much when reintroducing most of the foods

on

> >his list. We still avoid gluten, casein, and potato, but I think we have

more

> >leniency with his diet now allowing us room to try the LOD. My only problem

> >with it is that it seems like a LOT of very nutritious foods are being

removed

> >and that is something I have a very hard time with, especially since these

kids

> >are already losing other foods with nutritional value. We have been relying

on

> >foods like spinach and kale a lot, a lot of raw veggies with high nutritional

> >value.

> >

> > >

> > > I assume there is a yahoo group or site where I can learn more about the

> >supplements needed and how to proceed. We had just recently gone with more

raw

> >foods and had increased things like almond (for baking) and cashews as dips

and

> >dressings, buckwheat in energy bars...sprouted and soaked, of course, does

this

> >change ANY of it? One can wish....sigh. I just bought a dehydrator and many

> >books on raw foods. It's so exhausting to make so much change, just to have

to

> >change it all yet again....Again, thank you so much for the information, it

jump

> >started my research. I can tell you that two years ago, my son's oxalates

were

> >very high (129.72) on his GPL OAT. I haven't tested again recently, out of

> >sheer cost. I would love to know what it's like now.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

I'm sorry to report , that in fact chia and hemp seeds HAVE been tested, and it's not good news... both very high. :-(Macadamias are medium, I don't know if you could make butter out of them, probably; you'd have to be careful with portion size. --- ToniTo: mb12 valtrex Sent: Fri, September 24, 2010 11:22:28 AMSubject: Re: Oxalates

Thank you Toni. We have actually been using Sunbutter for a while now and I make my own nut butters too, so I tried a sun/pumpkin butter once, but didn't like it too much. I will keep experimenting. My older son doesn't like sunbutter at all, so I need to find some sort of alternative, lol. Maybe just pumpkin seeds will be good with some sea salt and coconut nectar. Do you know if chia and hemp seeds have been rated for oxalate levels? I know flax is not high which is good, but we make our milk out of organic hemp seeds.

> > >

> > > , you have no idea how much I appreciate the time it obviously took you

> >to compile this response. It has been very helpful and actually you did remind

> >me of why we didn't stick to the LOD when we were trying it. Our son had 23

> >food sensitivities at the time (when we also found out about the high oxalates

> >on his OAT, as well and elevated yeast and bacteria), so we were forced to make

> >a decision. We couldn't remove 23 foods to reduce his sensitivities and ALSO

> >remove high oxalate foods, because they didn't overlap, which meant reducing his

> >diet to such unhealthy, limited choices. I am no stranger to diet change and

> >when I feel it's warranted, have been known to go cold turkey overnight, but

> >we've had such a challenge with so many layers that we had to pick and choose

> >our battles. I also did not have this information at hand. I called GPL and

> >spoke with a doctor there who convinced me that the LOD wasn't beneficial! They

> >didn't like to see kids on it. Imagine that?

> >

> > >

> > > We are now in a place where I feel he has less food sensitivities (based only

> >on symptoms) and has not reacted as much when reintroducing most of the foods on

> >his list. We still avoid gluten, casein, and potato, but I think we have more

> >leniency with his diet now allowing us room to try the LOD. My only problem

> >with it is that it seems like a LOT of very nutritious foods are being removed

> >and that is something I have a very hard time with, especially since these kids

> >are already losing other foods with nutritional value. We have been relying on

> >foods like spinach and kale a lot, a lot of raw veggies with high nutritional

> >value.

> >

> > >

> > > I assume there is a yahoo group or site where I can learn more about the

> >supplements needed and how to proceed. We had just recently gone with more raw

> >foods and had increased things like almond (for baking) and cashews as dips and

> >dressings, buckwheat in energy bars...sprouted and soaked, of course, does this

> >change ANY of it? One can wish....sigh. I just bought a dehydrator and many

> >books on raw foods. It's so exhausting to make so much change, just to have to

> >change it all yet again....Again, thank you so much for the information, it jump

> >started my research. I can tell you that two years ago, my son's oxalates were

> >very high (129.72) on his GPL OAT. I haven't tested again recently, out of

> >sheer cost. I would love to know what it's like now.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

• 2 weeks later...

Is sweet brown rice the same as sweet rice? I really like to avoid anything

" white " if I can.

>

> susan where is that site?

>

> Re: Oxalates

>

>

>

> ,

>

> Yes, its very easy to make a hummus and leave out the tahini (sesame seeds

are incredibly high in oxalate) but sesame oil is not high, and that is where

you get the flavor, so just use the oil that has a sort of roasty toasty taste.

>

> Pumpkin seeds are reasonably low and make a greenish butter which you can

buy already in butter form from Jarrow, but I buy roasted pumpkin seeds at the

>

> Quinoa, Amaranth and Buckwheat and all the nut flours are sky high in

oxalate, but all the starch flours are low, whether rice, potato, tapioca, or

even green bean starch flour you can buy at an oriental store. You can use rice

paper and all the rice pastas you can find at the oriental store, and the price

is VERY right....no more than wheat pasta at a regular store. There you can get

>

> Udi breads mostly appear to be made from lower oxalate flours.

>

> We learned that by mixing equal parts of sweet rice flour (much lower than

white rice flour and much, much lower than brown rice flour, and I buy it at the

oriental grocery stores), it makes a flour that if you use it in fried foods has

a fabulous taste and texture, rivaling wheat. The sweet rice flour (very low) is

great as a thickener, and when used for fried foods, it seals the juices in

>

> The pie crust recipe called " Featherlight " in Bette Hagman's cookbooks is

made from low oxalate flours and it is a better pastry than your can make from

wheat. Cherries, blueberries, and apples are all fine on low oxalate so you can

make your traditional pies. (No rhubarb...ever!)

>

> A lady named on our listserve has dazzled us with a crepe recipe

that is to die for, and a wonderful MOIST, gluten free low oxalate bread that

can make thin slices that won't fall apart.

>

> Like any autism diet, this one takes some adjusting, but the results in

taste are wonderful, and many children, after they get off their addiction to

high oxalate foods (and yes, it seems addictive in that people select for them),

then many children begin eating a much larger variety of foods... We also find

many children stop being so famished, and are finally satisfied and at the same

time they are growing again, and putting on muscle and strength, and new social

>

> I just think a lot of the people who thought this diet was too restrictive

were using food lists that were so incomplete that they had no idea what

delicacies can be made with the choices now available. Through the generous

donations to our project at the Autism Research Institute, we have tested a lot

of gluten-free foods that you cannot find on internet lists or kidney sites.

>

> I'm sure that when SCD first became known that people didn't know HOW to

cook with those restrictions, but then after creative cooks got working, they

came up with some recipes that are now " must do's " if you do SCD. Similarly, we

have a big recipe section on our listserve that has these " mommy " creations. It

makes no sense to try to do this diet without these helps!

>

> Like anything, changing is an adaptation, but once you learn the ropes, the

>

> I hope this post helps inspire a few people who didn't consider LOD because

they dreaded the idea of a transition....

>

>

>

" white " if I can.

>

>

>

>

>

> ,

>

>

>

>

>

white rice flour and much, much lower than brown rice flour, and I buy it at the

a fabulous taste and texture, rivaling wheat. The sweet rice flour (very low) is

>

>

>

high oxalate foods (and yes, it seems addictive in that people select for them),

>

>

came up with some recipes that are now " must do's " if you do SCD. Similarly, we

have a big recipe section on our listserve that has these " mommy " creations. It

>

>

>

>

>

" white " if I can.

>

>

>

>

>

> ,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

• 1 year later...

Yvette-

What made you eliminate oxalates?  I have looked online and see no correlation

between MS and oxalates.  I eat mostly vegetarian, lots of greens because

that's what I crave.  I eat nuts and seeds and beets and chocolate too! Tell me

more!

thanks,

denise

(i don't drive because my vision is bizarre, my legs are heavy and my balance

not reliable.)

Guest guest

Hi Yvette,

I googled the various low-oxalate diet web sites. I wonder what else you have

done in the past six years that you think has helped you improve so much. Also,

I am on a lot of supplements. Are there certain supplements that you think are

very important and others that you think you should avoid. I've been trying to

eat a lot of kale. Now I see it is possibly high oxalate. Also, I've been

steaming my broccoli, and now I think I'll try boiling it.

Thanks,

Carolyn

>

> I've mentioned this before, but it's worth mentioning again. I have had

> fantastic results with reducing the level of oxalates I eat.

Guest guest

I'm on my way out for the day --we have homeschool co-op today, and then my

husband and kids play Magic (Magic The Gathering, it's a card game) so

we'll be out late. I'll try to answer your question, Janet's question and

the other oxalate question tomorrow.

Yvette

> **

>

>

>

>

> Yvette-