RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I was diagnosed as hypo in 94. Then years went by and a move to another state and I was diagnosed with a goiter and hashimoto's thyroiditis and taken off my meds. Well after yet another move I finally found some good doctors. I have had several ultrasounds ect over the past 2 1/2 years. On my left lobe I have a solid nodule that has consistantly grown despite being back on synthroid. So they are calling it suspicious and will take out my left lobe during surgery and do a frozen section on the nodule. If it is cancer then they will take the whole thyroid. If not they are still going to look at the right lobe since I have many nodules (one which is hypoechoic) and it is larger than the left lobe. I won't know the outcome until after surgery.

Thanks so much for asking. As it is getting closer I am more nervous. My dr prescriped some xanax because I have been a wreck. But it so helps to talk to other people who care and understand.

"Dreams are the touchstones of our character." Henry Thoreau

Re: Surgery

What thyroid problems do you have that you are getting surgery? I have a complex cyst in my right lobe and the endo that I saw last week told me that my left side is multi-nodular. He thinks that I will need surgery for this eventually. I'm so terrified of going into surgery, but if it comes to that then I guess I will have to suck it up. I hope your surgery goes very well with no complications...and hopefully you can keep one lobe! Good luck and be sure to post after your surgery to let me know how it went.

Serena

Guest guest

Not sure of the correct terminology of a hypoechoic nodule but I do know that they could be both benign or cancerous. They seem to have a higher rate of cancer but not all that high.

The tyroid scan usually is a thyroid uptake scan but not a lot of doctors seem to use them anymore. Some doctors will use a cat scan instead. Good luck and I will let you know howthings go. Thanks for the prayers. I just got off the phone with my church too.

one which is hypoechoic

What is hypoechoic? These darn thyroids have so many malfunctions to them! I can't wait to see what they call my problems. They haven't classified anything yet except that I have a complex cyst. But now they want an ultrasound and may end up doing the needle biopsy AGAIN! Good thing needleds don't bother me. He said something about maybe doing a thyroid scan too. I wish I knew specifically what to call this so I could research it more and know my options. Relax about the surgery, you'll be fine. Have you ever had surgery? It's scary but it really is all in the mind. Once they give you that stuff to "relax" you, you won't remember anything after that!!! Try not to think about it...and let them know as soon as you go in on Thurs. that you are anxious about it and they'll give you a shot of something. It'll be ok. And it's for better health. Sometimes we have to go through painful things to make us better. I'll pray for your surgery to go well, and for you to have peace and comfort with it.

Serena

Guest guest

We need to slap the docs that took you off thyroid after being diagnosed with hashi's... I want to be the 50 foot woman, like in the movie... and then go around the country giving speeches on thyroid care... if I were that big folks would HAVE to listen to me!!!

Do you have blood relatives with Hashi's?

Topper ()

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:43:56 -0400 "melissa" writes:

I was diagnosed as hypo in 94. Then years went by and a move to another state and I was diagnosed with a goiter and hashimoto's thyroiditis and taken off my meds. Well after yet another move I finally found some good doctors. I have had several ultrasounds ect over the past 2 1/2 years. On my left lobe I have a solid nodule that has consistantly grown despite being back on synthroid. So they are calling it suspicious and will take out my left lobe during surgery and do a frozen section on the nodule. If it is cancer then they will take the whole thyroid. If not they are still going to look at the right lobe since I have many nodules (one which is hypoechoic) and it is larger than the left lobe. I won't know the outcome until after surgery.

Thanks so much for asking. As it is getting closer I am more nervous. My dr prescriped some xanax because I have been a wreck. But it so helps to talk to other people who care and understand.

Guest guest

I don't know if my relatives had hashi's because my one Aunt treated everything through a nutrionalist but I wouldn't be suprised if she had hashi's too. And I just found out that my Grandma's sister had a goiter and lots of thyroid problems. I should investigate further.

We need to slap the docs that took you off thyroid after being diagnosed with hashi's... I want to be the 50 foot woman, like in the movie... and then go around the country giving speeches on thyroid care... if I were that big folks would HAVE to listen to me!!!

Do you have blood relatives with Hashi's?

Topper ()

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:43:56 -0400 "melissa" writes:

Guest guest

or Alzheimer's *wink*

they are now saying connected with thyroid disease(what a surprise!)

The thyroid scan is an RAI uptake, I think? I had it, I should know it! heheheheheh

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:07:09 EDT serenamoise@... writes:

one which is hypoechoic

What is hypoechoic? These darn thyroids have so many malfunctions to them! I can't wait to see what they call my problems. They haven't classified anything yet except that I have a complex cyst. But now they want an ultrasound and may end up doing the needle biopsy AGAIN! Good thing needleds don't bother me. He said something about maybe doing a thyroid scan too. I wish I knew specifically what to call this so I could research it more and know my options. Relax about the surgery, you'll be fine. Have you ever had surgery? It's scary but it really is all in the mind. Once they give you that stuff to "relax" you, you won't remember anything after that!!! Try not to think about it...and let them know as soon as you go in on Thurs. that you are anxious about it and they'll give you a shot of something. It'll be ok. And it's for better health. Sometimes we have to go through painful things to make us better. I'll pray for your surgery to go well, and for you to have peace and comfort with it.

Serena

Guest guest

or Alzheimer's *wink*

they are now saying connected with thyroid disease(what a surprise!)

The thyroid scan is an RAI uptake, I think? I had it, I should know it! heheheheheh

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

, what do you have that links Alzheimer's with thyroid

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

It does tend to run in families.. that's why I think it's important to contact family members when you find out you have a thyroid disorder... to let them be aware that they may want to get it checked if they are having symptoms but not determined a cause....

Topper ()

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:26:53 -0400 "melissa" writes:

I don't know if my relatives had hashi's because my one Aunt treated everything through a nutrionalist but I wouldn't be suprised if she had hashi's too. And I just found out that my Grandma's sister had a goiter and lots of thyroid problems. I should investigate further.

Guest guest

It does tend to run in families.. that's why I think it's important to contact family members when you find out you have a thyroid disorder... to let them be aware that they may want to get it checked if they are having symptoms but not determined a cause....

Topper ()

Guest guest

If I remember correctly.. they have found a connection between the chemical changes in the brain involved with Alzheimer's and long term low thyroid function... but they are still researching. Does anyone still have the link to the article?

Topper ()

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:53:17 -0700 "Jamy " writes:

Guest guest

If I remember correctly.. they have found a connection between the chemical changes in the brain involved with Alzheimer's and long term low thyroid function... but they are still researching. Does anyone still have the link to the article?

Topper ()

Guest guest

Topper ()

Guest guest

Well that does make a lot of sense because my 12 year old has had a goiter and underactive thyroid. Until now we have had doctors unwilling to treat her. But things have recently changed.

Topper ()

Guest guest

Well that does make a lot of sense because my 12 year old has had a goiter and underactive thyroid. Until now we have had doctors unwilling to treat her. But things have recently changed.

Topper ()

Guest guest

When they did it to me we saw a perfectly proportioned healthy gland that was double normal size.. so then they gave me the BIG dose and killed it off....

bye bye thyroid for me....

Topper ()

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:56:29 EDT serenamoise@... writes:

Topper,

Yes it is when they give you a "small" amount of radioactive iodine and 24hours later they take an x-ray of the thyroid. It shows whether a nodule is hot or cold. I'm awaiting his desicion on whether or not I will have to have the scan done.

Serena

Guest guest

When they did it to me we saw a perfectly proportioned healthy gland that was double normal size.. so then they gave me the BIG dose and killed it off....

bye bye thyroid for me....

Topper ()

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:56:29 EDT serenamoise@... writes:

Topper,

Yes it is when they give you a "small" amount of radioactive iodine and 24hours later they take an x-ray of the thyroid. It shows whether a nodule is hot or cold. I'm awaiting his desicion on whether or not I will have to have the scan done.

Serena

Guest guest

http://www.ecotalk.org/Alzheimer'sAluminumPhosphateIndustry.htm

http://thyroid.about.com/b/a/094606.htm

http://www.pdrhealth.com/content/lifelong_health/chapters/fgac29.shtml

There are more.....

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

There are more.....

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

There are more.....

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

I just read these articles. Alz runs in my family. There are actual brain changes in Alz, but I have never heard of that is thyroid. Any comments by anyone?

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

I just read these articles. Alz runs in my family. There are actual brain changes in Alz, but I have never heard of that is thyroid. Any comments by anyone?

can I claim brain fog?

Topper ()

one which is hypoechoic

Serena

Guest guest

Welcome back !! Glad to hear it went so well. Get plenty of rest and stay with us. Let us know.

(((Hugs)))

Surgery

Well, I am home finally. I had to stay a little bit longer because of the drain. Luckily no cancer was found. He removed the left lobe and I have about a 3 1/2 inch cut. He said that the nodule was as expected but the lobe was larger and hard to remove. So, I ended up with the drain in place until about 6 this evening. He left the right lobe which is large but looks great. I am very tired and sore now and will explain better later.

Guest guest

(((((((((())))))))) Glad you are back home and that no cancer was found!!!

Feisty

Surgery

Well, I am home finally. I had to stay a little bit longer because of the drain. Luckily no cancer was found. He removed the left lobe and I have about a 3 1/2 inch cut. He said that the nodule was as expected but the lobe was larger and hard to remove. So, I ended up with the drain in place until about 6 this evening. He left the right lobe which is large but looks great. I am very tired and sore now and will explain better later.

Guest guest

(((((((((())))))))) Glad you are back home and that no cancer was found!!!

Feisty

Surgery