RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: OMG!!!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh, what wonderful news! I am so happy for you.

Noelle (12-2-01)Ian (8-15-04)

OMG!!!!

We have a surgery date!! will be having the VEPTR surgery on March 22! Dr. is flying in from Texas to do it at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.I can't believe this. I got to my sister's today after our cruise, and there was a message for me to call . I called him and he told me we got the call on Friday. I was at sea, but he still tried to call me, just didn't have any luck getting in touch with the ship.The hospital is setting things up, and called to tell us that since would be the first VEPTR recipient done at Cincy's Children's Hospital, we might be interviewed for the papers and/or tv. I don't care about that, I just can't believe we are moving ahead.I am still in Tampa, I will be home tomorrow late afternoon, so I will check in then.Please say a prayer for if you believe in prayer - otherwise, please spare her a good thought or two.Thanks!!!Gail***********************************Mom to , 11/28/98 , 02/02/02"Don't make me call a flying monkey!"

Guest guest

Gail that is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for !! That is the kind of guy Dr. is. I can't say enough good things about him. What a great open door for other kids near Cinncy. I am so happy. If you have any questions please email me privately and I'll give you our phone numbers. I will talk to you any time. Give ERin a hug for us and way to go. I'll be praying all goes perfectly, espec. in regard to infections. Mo was home in two weeks.

Love ya,

ShellieGail Kimball <gmkimball@...> wrote:

We have a surgery date!! will be having the VEPTR surgery on March 22! Dr. is flying in from Texas to do it at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.I can't believe this. I got to my sister's today after our cruise, and there was a message for me to call . I called him and he told me we got the call on Friday. I was at sea, but he still tried to call me, just didn't have any luck getting in touch with the ship.The hospital is setting things up, and called to tell us that since would be the first VEPTR recipient done at Cincy's Children's Hospital, we might be interviewed for the papers and/or tv. I don't care about that, I just can't believe we are moving ahead.I am still in Tampa, I will be home tomorrow late afternoon, so I will check in then.Please say a prayer for if you believe in prayer - otherwise, please spare her a good

thought or two.Thanks!!!Gail***********************************Mom to , 11/28/98 , 02/02/02"Don't make me call a flying monkey!"__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Gail,

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you and .

Kylie and I will for sure keep you and in our

prayers.

Way to go Gail and !

Take Care,

--- Gail Kimball <gmkimball@...> wrote:

> We have a surgery date!! will be having the

> VEPTR surgery on March 22! Dr. is flying in

> from Texas to do it at Cincinnati Children's

> Hospital.

>

> I can't believe this. I got to my sister's today

> after our cruise, and there was a message for me to

> call . I called him and he told me we got the

> call on Friday. I was at sea, but he still tried to

> call me, just didn't have any luck getting in touch

> with the ship.

>

> The hospital is setting things up, and called to

> tell us that since would be the first VEPTR

> recipient done at Cincy's Children's Hospital, we

> might be interviewed for the papers and/or tv. I

> don't care about that, I just can't believe we are

> moving ahead.

>

> I am still in Tampa, I will be home tomorrow late

> afternoon, so I will check in then.

>

> Please say a prayer for if you believe in

> prayer - otherwise, please spare her a good thought

> or two.

>

> Thanks!!!

>

> Gail

> ***********************************

> Mom to , 11/28/98

> , 02/02/02

>

> " Don't make me call a flying monkey! "

>

>

Guest guest

Gail,

My name is Bob Zust and my

wife is Christiane.  We have a 5 ½ year old son Tyler who has scoliosis.  He

was diagnosed at age 3 ½ and has a 55 degree curve.  He’s been in a cast,

then a Boston brace, and now a Milwaukee brace.  We live in Columbus, Ohio, but just went down two weeks ago to meet with doctors at Cincinnati

Children’s.  I have just recently found this group and have been trying

to do some more research for Tyler.  I am very interested in this VEPTR procedure, but just can’t

find much out about it.  I wondered if you could share a little about your

situation and what you’ve learned.

We went in front of about 20

doctors there with Tyler’s case, and they all discussed it and are now recommending

re-casting for 3 months and then a full Milwaukee brace with a high neck.  I’m going to ask our one main

doctor there about VEPTR when I speak to him next.  I appreciate anything you

can offer us.  Thanks in advance!

Bob & Christiane

OMG!!!!

We have a surgery date!! will be having the VEPTR

surgery on March 22! Dr. is flying in from Texas to do it at

Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

I can't believe this. I got to my sister's today

after our cruise, and there was a message for me to call . I called him and

he told me we got the call on Friday. I was at sea, but he still tried to call

me, just didn't have any luck getting in touch with the ship.

The hospital is setting things up, and called to

tell us that since would be the first VEPTR recipient done at Cincy's

Children's Hospital, we might be interviewed for the papers and/or tv. I don't

care about that, I just can't believe we are moving ahead.

I am still in Tampa, I will be home tomorrow late

afternoon, so I will check in then.

Please say a prayer for if you believe in

prayer - otherwise, please spare her a good thought or two.

Thanks!!!

Gail

Mom to , 11/28/98

02/02/02

" Don't make me call a flying monkey! "

Guest guest

Gail,

Congratulations! will be in our prayers and we'll send good

positive thoughts your way! Keep us posted!

Jeanette

> We have a surgery date!! will be having the VEPTR surgery on

March 22! Dr. is flying in from Texas to do it at Cincinnati

Children's Hospital.

>

> I can't believe this. I got to my sister's today after our cruise,

and there was a message for me to call . I called him and he told

me we got the call on Friday. I was at sea, but he still tried to

call me, just didn't have any luck getting in touch with the ship.

>

> The hospital is setting things up, and called to tell us that since

would be the first VEPTR recipient done at Cincy's Children's

Hospital, we might be interviewed for the papers and/or tv. I don't

care about that, I just can't believe we are moving ahead.

>

> I am still in Tampa, I will be home tomorrow late afternoon, so I

will check in then.

>

> Please say a prayer for if you believe in prayer - otherwise,

please spare her a good thought or two.

>

> Thanks!!!

>

> Gail

> Mom to , 11/28/98

> , 02/02/02

>

Guest guest

Hey Gail,

That is so fantastic!!! You and really deserve a break. Can you send your autograph before you become famous!!

Well after all the help and support you always give to the rest of us here I am sure that this will work out great for you.

I will say heaps of prayers for You and for on the 22nd. I'll start a couple of days early so I can be sure to get the time difference right.

Love Bert and BridgetGail Kimball <gmkimball@...> wrote:

We have a surgery date!! will be having the VEPTR surgery on March 22! Dr. is flying in from Texas to do it at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.I can't believe this. I got to my sister's today after our cruise, and there was a message for me to call . I called him and he told me we got the call on Friday. I was at sea, but he still tried to call me, just didn't have any luck getting in touch with the ship.The hospital is setting things up, and called to tell us that since would be the first VEPTR recipient done at Cincy's Children's Hospital, we might be interviewed for the papers and/or tv. I don't care about that, I just can't believe we are moving ahead.I am still in Tampa, I will be home tomorrow late afternoon, so I will check in then.Please say a prayer for if you believe in prayer - otherwise, please spare her a good

thought or two.Thanks!!!Gail***********************************Mom to , 11/28/98 , 02/02/02"Don't make me call a flying monkey!"__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Congrats on the wonderful news!!! And welcome home!

Isnt a nice when you come home to great news!!!!

Im so happy for you Gail...This has been a very long wait for you, and so

happy that there is finally a solid plan.

is very lucky to have a level headed momma, such as yourself!

Please keep us posted with details. You have been a part of this group from

its inception and its so wonderful to see what progress you and have

made. I know that the waiting game , is not easy.

I'm thrilled for you guys!!

Glad your back!

HRH

OMG!!!!

>

> We have a surgery date!! will be having the VEPTR surgery on March

> 22! Dr. is flying in from Texas to do it at Cincinnati Children's

> Hospital.

>

> I can't believe this. I got to my sister's today after our cruise, and

> there was a message for me to call . I called him and he told me we

> got the call on Friday. I was at sea, but he still tried to call me, just

> didn't have any luck getting in touch with the ship.

>

> The hospital is setting things up, and called to tell us that since

> would be the first VEPTR recipient done at Cincy's Children's Hospital, we

> might be interviewed for the papers and/or tv. I don't care about that, I

> just can't believe we are moving ahead.

>

> I am still in Tampa, I will be home tomorrow late afternoon, so I will

> check in then.

>

> Please say a prayer for if you believe in prayer - otherwise, please

> spare her a good thought or two.

>

> Thanks!!!

>

> Gail

> Mom to , 11/28/98

> , 02/02/02

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

That's fantastic news for you and !! And it's so soon, it's great. I'll be thinking of you both in the run up to the date hoping all will go well.

Take care

Gail Kimball <gmkimball@...> wrote:

thought or two.Thanks!!!Gail***********************************Mom to , 11/28/98 , 02/02/02"Don't make me call a flying monkey!"Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

Hey Gail,

Carmell is absolutely right on. MO's pain was managed very well and that made a big difference in how quickly she was able to recover. We found in hindsight, that they used the Morphene too long and it really slowed down her stomach. It took a few days longer for her to stop being nauseous and tolerate eating. The crew in Tx used Morphene, Fentanyl, Tordol, and then Lortab (oral) and then finally down to just Tylenol and Ibuprophen orally. I think the next time we would stop the Morphene sooner and use the Fentanyl and Tordol. Those both worked for Mo. They also had a thing called a pain ball. It was a tube secured near the inner incision delivering a small dose of pain meds directly to the surgery site. Moriah also had IV antibiotic for 7 days post op. Texas has made up a packet of dismissal info and precautions. I can mail it to you if you would like a copy. Cinny probably doesn't have one yet, and I

don't know if Lori might send it with Dr. to Ohio. Please call me anytime. Email me privately and I'll give you our numbers. I'll be praying for you guys. Do you have someone to take care of ?

Shelliearmell Burns <cjbmom23@...> wrote:

Congratulations Gail and ! We'll be thinking ofyou on the 22nd... since Braydon has his 7th VEPTRexpansion on Monday, the 21st! Cool!This is a very big surgery (Shellie can tell youthat!). But, the outcome and the quality of lifeissues are worth the worry and the recovery, IMHO. Braydon "looks" great (doesn't he, !?). If yousaw him on the street, you would never guess what hislittle body has been through - much like most of ourscoliosis kids. The VEPTR procedure has given himmore good things and benefits than we could have everhoped for.A few things that the hospital may or may not rememberto tell you... DO NOT pick her up under her armpits! It's best to either "scoop" her (one of your armsunder her shoulders and the other under her knees) tomove her, especially in the

first 6-8 weeks. Youdon't want to do ANYTHING that may disrupt theinternal suturing. We also pick Braydon up (from asitting position) with his hips. When Braydon wasfirst sitting after his implant surgery, I would"assume the position" to "scoop" him into a sittingposition. He would tell me "go" and I would use onemotion to move him. This worked much better thantrying to manipulate his body in more than one move. I hope this makes sense.Also, find out what the hospital plans to do for painBEFORE the surgery. You need to know the painmanagement plan so you can keep track of the nursingstaff. Keep a notepad with you at all times to writedown medications and times given. Also, the notepadcomes in VERY handy for writing down comments that aremade, that you may forget later (BTDT, many times!). Since this will be the first VEPTR surgery for yourhospital, I

would be more cautious and observant ofthe people taking care of her AFTER the surgery. Herpost-op care needs to be exceptional. Keep askingquestions. If something doesn't make sense, ask aboutit. YOU need to understand everything. Once you getinto a routine, it will go better. I promise. If youknow anything about that would be importantregarding surgery, make sure to tell as many people asyou can. For example, Braydon learned LONG ago toswallow pills, rather than take liquid meds. I stillhave to remind EVERYONE who cares for him that hismeds need to be in pill form, not liquid. These seemlike minor things, but when you have to wait for thepharmacy, it can be a problem.I'll stop rambling now. Please know we will besending our best your way. If you have morequestions, feel free to email me, or even call (i'llsend my phone number).

I know how scary this can be,but you'll do great - both of you! Gentle hugs to!My best,Carmellmom to Kara 18, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 13, GERD and Braydon 9, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, Titanium Rib Project patient #137 (dbl implant 8/01), thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis (fusion surgery 5/96), missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC (released 4/99), anal stenosis, chronic constipation, horseshoe (cross-fused) kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele (excized 6/95), kidney reflux (reimplant surgery 1/97), neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes (reconstructed 2/96, 3/96, 1/97, 3/04), pes cavus, single umblilical artery, tonsil-adnoidectomy and ear tubes (3/98), etc. __________________________________ Do you ? Read only the mail you want - SpamGuard.

http://promotions./new_mail __________________________________________________

Guest guest

GAIL!!!

WOW!! YEAH!! Gosh! I just dont know what to say! What great news to

come home to!! Do you think shed want any little visitors at the

hospital? Let me know and Ill be there!!

Hugs and kisses to your little one!!

Thoughts and prayers to you all!!

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/18/2006 1:22:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, leyna1964@... writes:

She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were SALINE, and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!No wonder I've been sick!

Leyna,

At the same time -- thank God they are helping you explant. It's an AWFUL situation, but now you can hopefully get them out!

Silicone IS worse than having Salines, but either way --- many of us have never had Silicone ones, and have Salines that are making us just as sick. So, I know it's alarming... and in my mind, I would feel violated in some way... but view it as a way now to get them OUT.

Use that upset and anger to make you want to detox that much harder. I know that's easier said than done, because I'm having trouble finding it in me to detox... but this gives you all the more reason to get this junk OUT of your body!

Hang in there!!!!!!

Brigite

Guest guest

{{{HUG}}} I know this is a shock....wow. I have heard of this happening before though! I am not sure why this was an often repeated mistake....either the doctor didn't hear you right (not likely), or he was arrogant and took it upon himself to implant you with what HE thought was a better product, leftover inventory, or just what was on hand. (more likely). It is unfortunate. In fact, I have a friend who has had "salines" for about 16 years and my guess is that she REALLY has silicone....just my intuition anyway. It is a blessing that you have found the funds for explant now though....if you can go to an expert at explant, I would highly recommend it. You have no idea if your implants are ruptured or not, and it is really, really important that you have them taken out en bloc. No exceptions there! En bloc is the only way to go in your case. Ohio isn't that far from you, is it? Have you tried to make contact with Colleen McKenzie in Tennessee? She also went through explant...she has a website at www.poisonedbeauty.com Maybe she can walk you through this and help you find someone who will explant properly, and get the assistance you need. There's got to be a way for you to get these things out and get it paid for. I'm so sorry! It's a shock, but it's not the end of the world....you'll get through this and we will be here to help you through the difficulties. That's the purpose for this group! {{{HUG}}}} Pattyleyna1964 <leyna1964@...> wrote: I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement. I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had, and called the number about the Explant program.The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning Claiment because they "found out" that my implants are Bristol, not Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I can see about assistance with removal.Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all my

paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where, all these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from them.Basically, I did not know my size bags, or anything about my implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline implants and to make them "not too big".So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am now IN SHOCK.She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were SALINE, and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!No wonder I've been sick!So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me some paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my explant, and then AFTER I pay to have them removed, they will reimburse me for another $3,000.I am going to check into getting a loan to

cover the rest. I have been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis, Tennessee.I'm FREAKING OUT over this!

Get your email and more, right on the new .com

Guest guest

leyna

I am so sorry - unfortunately you are not the first I have heard here with this issue... that is so sad that these guys can get away with this..

I remember when I sent mine to be analyzed, Dr. Blais mentioned this to me over the phone as well as him knowing women back a while before that he had seen in my area with implants that had actually been re-used... I remember the horror i went through waiting to see if that were the case with mine.

Luckily you are going to get some help getting them out which is the biggest issue here.... make sure you get the directions from whomever you are dealing with legally as to how to instruct the hospital to handle them, once removed, if that is your wish to seek any legal things. it is important to follow the proper directions there and get them removed correctly as well - the most important part for recovery.

I hope you feel better soon - I hope you can get your appt quickly and have this nightmare end... we are all here for you!!

hugs,

shari

Guest guest

Lenya,

I am so sorry and can only imagine the shock. When I first joined

this board, Patty had indicated that this has happened. It just has

not happened while I have been on which has only been a few months.

I do not know if your implant surgeon is still around. Have you

contacted him/her? As a suggestion, please try to get his operative

report on you if you do not already have it. Just to confirm that

this is what he did put in you. I assume mistakes have been or can

also be made in reporting.

What a nightmare for you. At least you are looking at getting those

things out of you.

--- In , " leyna1964 " <leyna1964@...>

wrote:

>

> I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!

>

> I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an

> Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement.

>

> I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had, and called the number

> about the Explant program.

>

> The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning

> Claiment because they " found out " that my implants are Bristol,

not

> Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.

>

> So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I can

> see about assistance with removal.

>

> Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all my

> paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where, all

> these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from

> them.

>

> Basically, I did not know my size bags, or anything about my

> implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline

> implants and to make them " not too big " .

>

> So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am

now

> IN SHOCK.

>

> She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE

implants!!!!

>

> OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were SALINE,

> and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!

>

> I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!

>

> No wonder I've been sick!

>

> So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me some

> paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my

> explant, and then AFTER I pay to have them removed, they will

> reimburse me for another $3,000.

>

> I am going to check into getting a loan to cover the rest. I have

> been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis,

Tennessee.

>

> I'm FREAKING OUT over this!

>

Guest guest

Women have reported this many times, thinking they had saline because

that is what they were told, only to find that they had silicone. Of

course, unless they put saline in writing, you could never prove it

and they would say you were just confused.

Lynda

At 12:00 PM 8/18/2006, you wrote:

>{{{HUG}}}

>

>I know this is a shock....wow. I have heard of this happening

>before though! I am not sure why this was an often repeated

>mistake....either the doctor didn't hear you right (not likely), or

>he was arrogant and took it upon himself to implant you with what HE

>thought was a better product, leftover inventory, or just what was

>on hand. (more likely). It is unfortunate. In fact, I have a

>friend who has had " salines " for about 16 years and my guess is that

>she REALLY has silicone....just my intuition anyway.

>

>It is a blessing that you have found the funds for explant now

>though....if you can go to an expert at explant, I would highly

>recommend it. You have no idea if your implants are ruptured or

>not, and it is really, really important that you have them taken out

>en bloc. No exceptions there! En bloc is the only way to go in your case.

>

>Ohio isn't that far from you, is it?

>

>Have you tried to make contact with Colleen McKenzie in

>Tennessee? She also went through explant...she has a website at

><http://www.poisonedbeauty.com>www.poisonedbeauty.com Maybe she can

>walk you through this and help you find someone who will explant

>properly, and get the assistance you need. There's got to be a way

>for you to get these things out and get it paid for.

>

>I'm so sorry! It's a shock, but it's not the end of the

>world....you'll get through this and we will be here to help you

>through the difficulties. That's the purpose for this group!

>{{{HUG}}}}

>Patty

>

>leyna1964 <leyna1964@...> wrote:

>I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!

>

>I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an

>Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement.

>

>I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had, and called the number

>about the Explant program.

>

>The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning

>Claiment because they " found out " that my implants are Bristol, not

>Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.

>

>So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I can

>see about assistance with removal.

>

>Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all my

>paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where, all

>these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from

>them.

>

>Basically, I did not know my size bags, or anything about my

>implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline

>implants and to make them " not too big " .

>

>So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am now

>IN SHOCK.

>

>She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!

>

>OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were SALINE,

>and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!

>

>I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!

>

>No wonder I've been sick!

>

>So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me some

>paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my

>explant, and then AFTER I pay to have them removed, they will

>reimburse me for another $3,000.

>

>I am going to check into getting a loan to cover the rest. I have

>been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis, Tennessee.

>

>I'm FREAKING OUT over this!

>

>

>

>Get your email and more, right on the

><http://us.rd./evt=42973/*http://www./preview>new .com

>

Guest guest

Leyna: I think most of us have given up on ever getting anything financially. I had Bristol Surgitek Bi-lumen implants prior to the Mentor salines, which were silicone and saline, which I was unaware of until Dr. Blais told me--I always thought they were just silicone. Mine were a different number than yours. Could yours be both also? My original explanting surgeon told me to go through the Dow settlement for the few thousand offered at the time for explant. Later I found out my insurance probably would've paid as I had such bad capsular contracture. Anyway, to cut a long story short, when I later tried to make a claim, the attorney told me because I'd accepted the money for explant, it put me in a different, harder to collect category, where I'd have to be able to prove I had an autoimmune disease such as Lupus to qualify. However, I was told I would've

qualified because Dow Corning made the silicone in the Bristol implants--it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that's correct. So you might try again. Good luck! Kateleyna1964 <leyna1964@...> wrote: I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement. I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had,

and called the number about the Explant program.The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning Claiment because they "found out" that my implants are Bristol, not Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I can see about assistance with removal.Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all my paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where, all these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from them.Basically, I did not know my size bags, or anything about my implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline implants and to make them "not too big".So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am now IN SHOCK.She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my

implants were SALINE, and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!No wonder I've been sick!So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me some paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my explant, and then AFTER I pay to have them removed, they will reimburse me for another $3,000.I am going to check into getting a loan to cover the rest. I have been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis, Tennessee.I'm FREAKING OUT over this!

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

OMG is right!

I would estimate we've heard of this scores of times ... as much of

a travesty that it is.

The tobacco industry is finally being totally outed ... it's time

for the breast implant industry ... including the deceitful and

overpaid Plastic Sturgeons to be outed for these crimes as well.

Ilena

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org

> >

> > I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!

> >

> > I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an

> > Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement.

> >

> > I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had, and called the number

> > about the Explant program.

> >

> > The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning

> > Claiment because they " found out " that my implants are Bristol,

> not

> > Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.

> >

> > So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I

can

> > see about assistance with removal.

> >

> > Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all

my

> > paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where,

all

> > these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from

> > them.

> >

> > Basically, I did not know my size bags, or anything about my

> > implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline

> > implants and to make them " not too big " .

> >

> > So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am

> now

> > IN SHOCK.

> >

> > She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE

> implants!!!!

> >

> > OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were

SALINE,

> > and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!

> >

> > I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!

> >

> > No wonder I've been sick!

> >

> > So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me

some

> > paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my

> > explant, and then AFTER I pay to have them removed, they will

> > reimburse me for another $3,000.

> >

> > I am going to check into getting a loan to cover the rest. I

have

> > been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis,

> Tennessee.

> >

> > I'm FREAKING OUT over this!

> >

>

Guest guest

You are fortunate that you registered in time to get any explant money. I also

had Surgitek

(mine were double lumen - silicone and saline). You might want to consider

going to Dr.

Melmed in Texas or Dr. Kolb in Atlanta - both relatively close.

Both of these doctors know the importance of removing capsules with silicone

implants.

All I can say is do whatever you need to do to get an explant. I was a late

registrant with

the MDL and received no explant or rupture money. I took a loan out for the

money to go

to Dr. Kolb. I was not working, and although I am married, we had many medical

bills,

student loans (and we are not young but I had gone back to school in my 40s).

It has been

a very rough few years. It was worth every penny to get my implants removed.

here was one of the first women I ever talked to about explant, when I

knew

absolutely nothing. Later, I didn't even recall talking to her. But now I know

that she was

the first to tell me to make absolutely sure I have a good surgeon who will

remove my

implants properly. She said bad removal can be worse than not removing implants

at all.

Somehow that DID stick in my head and my husband and I researched we could to

find out

what was needed, and where to go. I knew my life was at stake.

By the time I had my implants removed, I had had hives and went into

anaphylactic shock.

I had never before had allergies, and now I know it was the implants. I carried

an epipen

with me everywhere. Within a relatively short time before explant, I had been

diagnosed

with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, peripheral neuropathy

and

fibromyalgia. I couldn't walk across my living room and had filed for

disability. I did think

I was going to die. My internist later told me that she watched me deteriorate

before her

eyes, which is why she kept ordering all kinds of tests and referred me to

neurologists,

rheumatologists, endocrologists.... I couldn't even keep up with all the

appointments, and

had to reschedule some of them when I was too sick to make it. I will never

never forget

this time. I had graduated from law school just as I was starting to get really

really sick. I

had massive student loans with no way to pay them, because I was too sick. I

grew so

despondent that I was hosptialized for depression. I had reached the end of my

rope and

didn't think I would live, and couldn't imagine living in so much pain.

And until just a couple months before explant, I had never considered my

implants might

be the problem. As it turns out, they were badly ruptured and probably had been

for 5

years.

Somehow my husband and I got through this all. I have never been one to believe

in

miracles but I swear someone had been watching over me. It was a virtual

stranger who

asked me if I had implants. I had never met him in person, but he was referred

to me by a

mutual friend, to help him look something up on the internet. I told him I was

too sick to

help, after only a short time. He asked me why, and I told him. He asked me if

I had

breast implants, and said what I was experiencing sounded like silicone

poisoning. He

then told me he was a doctor. So it was by pure coincidence that I considered

implants,

even as sick as I was.

It was women on this forum (although I didn't know it at the time),

Explantation.com and

Implant.Info.Net that also helped point me in the right direction. I didn't

even have

surgery the first time I went to Atlanta. Dr. Knos, the anesthesiologist that

works with Dr.

Kolb, ran another test the night before surgery, because she said she didn't

like the trend

of my liver function tests. As they were wheeling me in the operating room

(literally), she

came in and stopped the procedure. She said surgery could send me into hepatic

failure,

and sent me to the Emory liver transplant clinic for tests. I ended up having

surgery a

month later, after a second flight out of state. But I thank God I did find a

good doctor.

So what after explant?

THIS is the good news. Most women DO improve after explant. And no, explant

does not

cause us to gain weight (as someone worried). It took some time for my health

to

improve, but within two years my blood tests were normal. A horrible itchy rash

that left

me bloodied and scarred for 5 years disappeared. I no longer carry an epipen,

because I

have not had hives since explant. I do not take Avonex for MS, because I had

bad side

effects from it, and because I have had no more MS symptoms. I still take

plaquenil for

lupus, but my doc has drastically reduced the amount I take - again, because my

symptoms have improved and my blood tests are normal now.

I am on a diet and have lost 24 pounds. I took and passed the bar exam and have

been

admitted to the state bar to practice law. My husband was offered a better job

than he

had, and we have worked ourselves out a deep financial hole. As a late

registrant in MDL, I

was only eligible for an " Option II " claim which has very narrow criteria that

are not easy to

meet. But I found a good attorney who helped me with it. A couple of weeks ago

my

claim for lupus was approved. I am sleeping at night again.

There is something else. I am working part time now, for the attorney who

helped me with

my own claim. I am working on breast implant settlement cases. I had helped

write an

appeal for the family of a woman had died from lupus. Her claim had been denied

- for

even the lowest amount. About 15 minutes ago I heard that the appeal went

through, and

her family will be given the highest amount possible for lupus - $250,000.

And this makes all of this worth it.

>

>

>

>

> Claiment because they " found out " that my implants are Bristol, not

>

>

> them.

>

>

> So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am now

> IN SHOCK.

>

> She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!

>

>

>

>

>

> been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis, Tennessee.

>

>

Guest guest

As I understand it, there is a provision for compensation from DOW for implants of other brands that used DOW silicone . . . It wouldn't hurt to check it out . . . But . . . as bad as DOW has been about taking respnsiblity for it's own claimants, I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for a settlement! . .. They've been using every trick in the book to get of of paying. Rogene Kate Lowe <lagarita120@...> wrote: Leyna: I think most of us have given up on ever getting anything financially. I had Bristol Surgitek Bi-lumen implants prior to the Mentor salines, which were silicone and saline, which I was unaware of until Dr. Blais told me--I always thought they were just silicone. Mine were a different number than yours. Could yours be both also? My original explanting surgeon told me to go through the Dow settlement for the few thousand offered at the time for explant. Later I found out my insurance probably would've paid as I had such bad capsular contracture. Anyway, to cut a long story short, when I later tried to make a claim, the attorney told me because I'd accepted the money for explant, it put me in a different, harder to collect category, where I'd have to be able to prove I had an autoimmune disease such as Lupus to qualify. However, I was told I would've qualified because Dow

Corning made the silicone in the Bristol implants--it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that's correct. So you might try again. Good luck! Kateleyna1964 <leyna1964 > wrote: I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement. I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had, and called the number about the Explant program.The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning Claiment because they "found out" that my implants are Bristol, not Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I can

see about assistance with removal.Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all my paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where, all these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from them.Basically, I did not know my size bags, or anything about my implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline implants and to make them "not too big".So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am now IN SHOCK.She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were SALINE, and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!No wonder I've been sick!So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me some paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my explant, and then AFTER I pay to have

them removed, they will reimburse me for another $3,000.I am going to check into getting a loan to cover the rest. I have been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis, Tennessee.I'm FREAKING OUT over this! Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

Yes, Rogene, there is. If she has already registered and did in time - which it

sounds like

she did - she may be eligible for a disease claim, even if she doesn't have

lupus. But she

would first have to file a claim with the MDL and then would be able to file

with Dow. She

should really look into this. If she qualifies then MDL and Dow would split the

payments -

she would get half from Dow and half from MDL.

She also needs to ask the MDL if it is too late to file for a rupture claim or

if the MDL offers

that still. I don't recall off the top of my head. I know it is too late for

Dow, but it may not

be for MDL.

What she needs to do is to make sure her symptoms are documented. A level C

ACTD

claim, for example, is not that difficult to qualify for. Symptoms many of us

have had will

qualify for that, if documented in medical records, even by patient history:

balance

problems, hair loss, joint pain, fibromyalgia or myalgias (muscle pain), rupture

or breast

pain, parasthesias (abnormal nerve sensation like numbness, tingling etc.), high

ANA or

other lab tests, chronic fatigue, dry eyes or mouth, sleep disturbances, bladder

problems

like IBS, path findings like granulomas etc.

>

>

>

>

>

> them.

>

>

> IN SHOCK.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates

starting

at 1¢/min.

>

Guest guest

Don't hold your breath but please don't give up, either.

>

>

>

>

>

> them.

>

>

> IN SHOCK.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates

starting

at 1¢/min.

>

Guest guest

Leyna . . . I had silicone gel implants for sixteen years too . . . IMHO, they aren't any worse than the salines . . . both have silicone shells . . . In fact, in some ways, saline are worse. The good news is that the surgeon shouldn't hesitate to do an en bloc removal, because he knows how fragile the shells are . . . and that you will get financial assistance in getting them removed . . . God does answer prayers, Rogene leyna1964 <leyna1964@...> wrote: I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement. I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had, and called the number about the Explant program.The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning Claiment because they "found out" that my implants are Bristol, not Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I can see about assistance with removal.Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all my paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where, all these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from them.Basically, I did not know my size bags,

or anything about my implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline implants and to make them "not too big".So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am now IN SHOCK.She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were SALINE, and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!No wonder I've been sick!So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me some paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my explant, and then AFTER I pay to have them removed, they will reimburse me for another $3,000.I am going to check into getting a loan to cover the rest. I have been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis, Tennessee.I'm FREAKING OUT over this!

Guest guest

I agree Brigite,

SIlicone is worse than saline, although many women have become ill from saline,

too. Still,

I think the severity of symptoms can be far worse with silicone implants.

Thank God she did find out, and can get help with getting them out.

>

>

>

> In a message dated 8/18/2006 1:22:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> leyna1964@... writes:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Leyna,

>

> At the same time -- thank God they are helping you explant. It's an AWFUL

> situation, but now you can hopefully get them out!

>

> Silicone IS worse than having Salines, but either way --- many of us have

> never had Silicone ones, and have Salines that are making us just as sick.

So,

> I know it's alarming... and in my mind, I would feel violated in some way...

> but view it as a way now to get them OUT.

>

> Use that upset and anger to make you want to detox that much harder. I know

> that's easier said than done, because I'm having trouble finding it in me to

> detox... but this gives you all the more reason to get this junk OUT of your

> body!

>

> Hang in there!!!!!!

>

> Brigite

>

Guest guest

Thank you Patty. I feel very fortunate, indeed. And hearing that this woman's

family will

be compensated made all of this worth it, somehow. It was wonderful.

I don't know if I will do this work forever - well, probably not, since the

settlement doesn't

last forever anyway. But I hope to help as many women as I can with work, and

through

support, as well.

With too many doctors telling women implants are safe, and our regulatory bodies

not

protecting consumers, the only way women can be accurately informed is through

word of

mouth - from other women.

I feel that each of us who has been helped by support groups like this has an

obligation to

give back. We only have each other.

> >

> > I'm totally freaking out now and need a few group hugs here!

> >

> > I was reading a post about someone here who was involved in an

> > Explant Assistance program in the Dow Corning Settlement.

> >

> > I'm a claiment, so I dug out a book I had, and called the number

> > about the Explant program.

> >

> > The lady I talked to told me that I am no longer a Dow Corning

> > Claiment because they " found out " that my implants are Bristol, not

> > Dow Corning or whatever. I did not know this.

> >

> > So the lady gave me the number of the Bristol office so that I can

> > see about assistance with removal.

> >

> > Now, right after I got my implants, 16 years ago, I sent in all my

> > paperwork to my lawyer, who mailed it in to Dow Corning,where, all

> > these years, I've been receiving paperwork every few months from

> > them.

> >

> > Basically, I did not know my size bags, or anything about my

> > implants-just that I had told the surgeon that I wanted saline

> > implants and to make them " not too big " .

> >

> > So this Bristol lady pulls my records a few minutes ago and I am now

> > IN SHOCK.

> >

> > She told me that I have 400 Surgitek Gel round SILICONE implants!!!!

> >

> > OMG!!! All these 16 years, I have thought my implants were SALINE,

> > and I'm now finding out that they are SILICONE!!!

> >

> > I'm FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!

> >

> > No wonder I've been sick!

> >

> > So anyway, to make a long story short-the lady is sending me some

> > paperwork to fill out, and they are going to cover $1,000 of my

> > explant, and then AFTER I pay to have them removed, they will

> > reimburse me for another $3,000.

> >

> > I am going to check into getting a loan to cover the rest. I have

> > been unable to find a surgeon who does En Bloc in Memphis, Tennessee.

> >

> > I'm FREAKING OUT over this!

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> How low will we go? Check out Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

>