RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: SAHA toxic mold tests are negative Say what?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think that its really depressing and also telling that the school board sees itself immediately as an adversary to the parents even though theparents are paying their salaries.. That right there should cause them to pause and reflect about this situation...

Quackadillan,

You need to realize that the school board members' charge is to take care of the school. They don't know anything more about mold that anyone else....in most cases. (some do!)

So these board members are being told by an allergist that mold does not cause the symptoms the children complain of. I bet the word "hysterical" has been used more than one in Louisiana this past week.

Then they have an IH telling them that there is no problem (most likely said "slightly elevated").

Also, no doubt by now, the school district attorneys have jumped into the equation. Deny, Deny, Deny.

So put yourself in the School Board Members' seats. They most likely think they are doing the right thing based on VERY BAD expert advice.

This school is just such a classic example of why this issue is so scary and contentious both, financially and physically.

It should be: There's mold....Clean it up. The children are sick....Get 'em a doctor. Opps! There are no trained doctors. If the doctors were trained, then the financial liability might go up, cuz the school would have to admit a problem if the children could prove it. So, the circle continues.

SharonSee what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

I think that its really depressing and also telling that the school board sees itself immediately as an adversary to the parents even though theparents are paying their salaries.. That right there should cause them to pause and reflect about this situation...

Quackadillan,

You need to realize that the school board members' charge is to take care of the school. They don't know anything more about mold that anyone else....in most cases. (some do!)

So these board members are being told by an allergist that mold does not cause the symptoms the children complain of. I bet the word "hysterical" has been used more than one in Louisiana this past week.

Then they have an IH telling them that there is no problem (most likely said "slightly elevated").

Also, no doubt by now, the school district attorneys have jumped into the equation. Deny, Deny, Deny.

So put yourself in the School Board Members' seats. They most likely think they are doing the right thing based on VERY BAD expert advice.

This school is just such a classic example of why this issue is so scary and contentious both, financially and physically.

It should be: There's mold....Clean it up. The children are sick....Get 'em a doctor. Opps! There are no trained doctors. If the doctors were trained, then the financial liability might go up, cuz the school would have to admit a problem if the children could prove it. So, the circle continues.

Guest guest

Group,

I arrived home yesterday evening to find some great posts that I plan to address. I am often delayed in my ability to respond in the same day which is frustrating for me.

I greatly appreciate all your responses in regard to the issue of withholding test results. Your willingness to allow this topic to be discussed and your participation with this is impressive. It is clear to me that you are individuals that are highly experienced, very dedicated to your work and have a lot to offer up.

It is my belief that for this industry to change for the better, those of you in this field must be willing and able to step out of your comfort zone. This will involve a demonstrated change of some accepted practices that no one wants to change. Whether you are willing and or able to do this as a group remains to be seen. I appreciate that some of you in your posts state your work has always been directed towards the health and safety of the occupant, however this is not manifesting as a whole in this industry.

I thank you for allowing me to participate on this message board especially in my being a voice representing another side that some may not always want to hear. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QMESee what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

wrote: "It appears that what you are saying here is that it is OK for the consultants and others retained by the opposing parties to the occupants, to interpret the test results any way they want, but that it is not OK for the consultants and others retained by the residents. It is the withholding of test results from occupants by the opposing parties where this has been an accepted practice.",I'm still saying that sampling is a tool to be used by experienced, trained professionals to make decisions about what action to take with regard to further inspection or cleaning. When people who haven't seen many sets of mold testing data look at a lab report, they don't know what they are looking at and see what they want to see.

Steve, I agree with this. However the environmental consultant or any other entity involved does not have the right to withhold test results based upon the assumption that disclosure to an occupant will automatically result in the tests being misinterpreted. You are assuming that the occupant does not have their own experienced EC to do this, or a physician who is skilled in reading the results. You are also going on the assumption that the opposing party to the occupant has hired an ethical "experienced, trained professional" when they may have retained an IH as a hired gun willing to twist, distort and present non factual info in their assessment.

I agree with the logic behind the decision:"Education director Gayle Stucke said copies of the mould report aren't being released based on advice from the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Health. "It would not be meaningful to release reports to a person without the scientific knowledge," she said. Anyone wishing to review the tests with explanation from the board's consultant or a health and safety expert is welcome, she added."

If this were the case why not have a meeting early on with everyone together who wish to "review the tests with explanation." The copies could be passed out in the meeting where the expert would be present to discuss the results. It is not like they haven't been asking for and wanting to see the test results.

Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

It seems to me that the data is not the problem for School Administration but that the use of the data by people without the scientific knowledge is. Evidently, Administration doesn't trust the angry parents as much as vice versa.As long as there are "opposing parties" and sampling is being used to assess health risk, I don't see a problem being solved. I see lawyers making money. All the data will then be shared in the discovery process.

Question: I know of a number of cases now where restoration companies were called in to mitigate water damage due to a flood in the crawl space and ended up contaminating the inside of the house whereby the occupants developed reactions. In these cases

Again, people have unreasonable expectations with regard to the value of sampling in assessing health risk. Is it any wonder the Health Canada Annex wants people to get away from this approach?Steve TemesIn a message dated 4/24/2007 8:56:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, bobbinsbiomedaol writes:

In a message dated 4/23/2007 2:38:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, AirwaysEnvcs writes:

In a message dated 4/23/2007 10:40:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, bobbinsbiomedaol writes:

Laws need to be passed making the practice of withholding test results [for mold sampling] from the occupant, illegal. Included in this law should be a set reasonable time frame for compliance. No builder, administrator, homeowner association, landlord, environmental company, consultant, IEP, restoration/remediation company or otherwise should have the right to withhold mold sampling results. This is especially important when it pertains to the health and safety of the occupant whose home was tested. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

Be careful what you ask for, . No one will even take samples when anybody can interpret them to mean whatever they want.Steve Temes Steve, It appears that what you are saying here is that it is OK for the consultants and others retained by the opposing parties to the occupants, to interpret the test results any way they want, but that it is not OK for the consultants and others retained by the residents. It is the withholding of test results from occupants by the opposing parties where this has been an accepted practice. If there were laws in place specifically addressing this issue making it illegal to withhold test results from the residents (as the building occupants whose homes were tested), the only ones that would stop taking samples are those working for defense. There would be no change for those environmental consultants/IEPs that are retained by the occupants. The only entity that would withhold mold sampling results from the occupant would be the opposing parties to the occupant. It is the very consultants retained by the opposing parties that are interpreting results in a way that protects the opposing parties and in some cases in doing so, jeopardizes the health and safety of the occupants. The only time I have seen test results withheld from occupants is when the results reflect the liability of the party that is withholding these very results. Otherwise opposing parties have been more then glad to release their results to the residents whose homes they tested. There already exists in place ethical and legal obligations-duties of specific parties. All too often these are being breached in cases when a party withholds the test results from the building residents. This holds especially true where the health of the occupants may be affected by this action. However, this is simply ignored by all too many people. My best guess is that the IAQ, AIHA in setting new ethical standards and codes, will not be addressing this breach of ethics. However, I would much rather be wrong and happy then right and miserable. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

See what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

JOINT INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE ASSOCIATIONSMEMBER ETHICAL PRINCIPLESCONFIDENTIAL/DRAFT 3.0-A. Responsibilities to the Professional Organizations and the Profession.In order to satisfy organizational and legal policies and rules, members should:1. Comply with laws, regulations, policies, and ethical standards governing professional practice and related activities, including those of professional associations and credentialing organizations.2. Provide accurate and truthful information to professional associations and credentialing organizations.3. ate with professional associations and credentialing organizations concerning ethics matters and the collection of related information.4. Report apparent violations of applicable professional organizations' ethical standards to appropriate organizations and agencies upon a reasonable and clear factual basis.5. Refrain from any public behavior that is clearly in violation of accepted professional and legal standards.6. Promote equal opportunity and diversity in professional activities.7. Support and disseminate the association's ethics principles to other professionals.B. Responsibilities to Clients, Employers, and the Public.In order to provide ethical professional services, members should:1. Deliver competent services in a timely manner, and with objective and professional judgment.2. Recognize the limitations of professional ability, and to provide services only when qualified. The member is responsible for determining his/her own professional abilities based on education, knowledge, skills, practice experience, and other relevant considerations.3. Provide appropriate professional referrals when unable to provide competent professional assistance.4. Maintain and respect the confidentiality of sensitive information obtained in the course of professional or related activities unless: the information pertains to an illegal activity; a court or governmental agency lawfully directs the release of the information; or, the client/employer expressly authorizes the release of specific information.5. Provide truthful and accurate representations to the public in advertising, public statements/representations, and in the preparation of estimates concerning costs, services, and expected results.6. Properly use professional credentials and provide truthful and accurate representations concerning education, experience, competency and the performance of services.7. Recognize and respect the intellectual property rights of others, and to act in an accurate, truthful, and complete manner, including activities related to professional work and research.8. Affix or authorize the use of his/her seal, stamp or signature only when the document is prepared by the certificant/candidate or someone under their direction and control.9. Refrain from business activities and practices that unlawfully restrict competition.C. Conflict of interest and appearance of impropriety.In order to satisfy organizational policies and legal requirements concerning possible conflicts of interest, members should:1. Disclose to clients, employers, or customers significant circumstances that could be construed as a conflict of interest, or an appearance of impropriety.2. Avoid conduct that could cause a conflict of interest with a client, employer, employee, or customer.3. Ensure that a conflict of interest does not compromise legitimate interests of a client, employer, employee, or customer, or influence/interfere with professional judgments.4. Refrain from offering, or accepting inappropriate payments, gifts, or other forms of compensation or benefits in order to secure work, or which are intended to influence professional judgment.D. Public health and safety.In order to satisfy organizational policies and legal requirements concerning public health and safety, members should:1. Follow appropriate health and safety procedures to protect clients, employers, customers, employees, and the public from conditions where injury and damage are reasonably foreseeable.2. Inform appropriate governmental or professional bodies of violations of legal and organizational professional requirements.

That is much better! I know with real estate, in order to protect ALL involved, the rule is "when in doubt disclose". Which is logical from ethical and financial standpoint. Can I join AIHA and vote "yes" for this change?

WR,

Guest guest

Don,

I hope you understand that I realize you are highly regarded in your field and that I am not questioning your years of dedication and service. None of what I say is directed at you, just sometimes addressed to you as a representative of this industry. With that said:

Don wrote: "In December, 2006, a proposed change to the Ethical Principles was made, and I have printed the proposal below. Please note Section D on 'Public Health and Safety'. I think that this answers some of your questions on this matter. This is still being reviewed, but I expect that it will be adopted soon by all of the industrial hygiene organizations (ABIH, AIHA, AAIH, AGCIH)."

First in regard to these new proposed changes to the Ethical Principals, without a disciplinary system in place to enforce these new changes, this means little. The organizations such as the board itself, the ABIH announced there will be no disciplinary system set in place.

Both section A3 and B4 reinforce the industries accepted practice of withholding sampling results from occupants. This continues to allow and support the industrial hygienist to lurk in the shadows of the parties that retain their services, that are breaching fiduciary duties by refusing to disclose sampling results to the [residential] occupants. Sadly, "the need to withhold" for purposes of financial gain overrides "the need to know" for the health and safety of the occupant. Actions of this industry speak louder than their words.

Section B discusses the responsibilities to the client, the employees and the public. B.4 is the statement regarding 'sensitive information', and its release with permission of the client. This may, in some cases, also involve medical data of employees. I think that there does need to be an agreement, preferably agreed before the project begins, as to how and when information on sampling will be disclosed. I always discuss this with my clients before proceeding with the work.

-A. Responsibilities to the Professional Organizations and the Profession.3. ate with professional associations and credentialing organizations concerning ethics matters and the collection of related information.

B. Responsibilities to Clients, Employers, and the Public.4.Maintain and respect the confidentiality of sensitive information obtained in the course of professional or related activities unless: the information pertains to an illegal activity; a court or governmental agency lawfully directs the release of the information; or, the client/employer expressly authorizes the release of specific information.

I am not sure of what you are referring to in the way of "medical data." Could you tell me in what context this might be applicable and to what type of data that might be involved with these new ethical codes?

D.Public Health and Safety1. Follow appropriate health and safety procedures to protect clients, employers, customers, employees, and the public from conditions where injury and damage are reasonably foreseeable.

2. Inform appropriate governmental or professional bodies of violations of legal and organizational professional requirements

Sharon:I understand your concerns about the current joint industrial hygiene Code of Ethics, regards to disclosal of information gathered during an inspection of a facility. Please keep in mind that, until very recently, most CIH's worked for the company rather than as an outside consultant. This has changed, obviously, over the last 10-15 years. But there are still a large number of CIH's that are employed by the corporations who are not consultants to the public.In addition, it is important to remember that CIH's employed by consultants are not public health officials. They do not make the decisions on the disclosal of test results at schools or public buildings. This is left to the Health Department of the city or state. I worked in many situations with public health officials, and they have a tough job to do, to determine what information is to be released to the public. It is about risk communication and management, and making sure the data is accurate. Misinformation and miscommunication, in many cases, is a worse 'hazard' than the initial situation.

The issue of disclosure does become more complex when it involves a public building, which is why I have attempted to address the issue of disclosure for now, in terms of residential occupants.

In December, 2006, a proposed change to the Ethical Principles was made, and I have printed the proposal below. Please note Section D on 'Public Health and Safety'. I think that this answers some of your questions on this matter. This is still being reviewed, but I expect that it will be adopted soon by all of the industrial hygiene organizations (ABIH, AIHA, AAIH, AGCIH). Section B discusses the responsibilities to the client, the employees and the public. B.4 is the statement regarding 'sensitive information', and its release with permission of the client. This may, in some cases, also involve medical data of employees. I think that there does need to be an agreement, preferably agreed before the project begins, as to how and when information on sampling will be disclosed. I always discuss this with my clients before proceeding with the work.Finally, I agree that it is a terrible situation when people are exposed to potentially hazardous environments. That is why I got into this profession, to help people to avoid illness and remain healthy at their workplace, and now at home. I don't know of a single CIH that doesn't feel the same as I do about this. We work hard every day to protect people who find themselves in this situation.

I have never had a client tell me directly not to disclose sampling data that shows a hazardous exposure to an employee. I would not work for a client that requested that. I believe that the vast majority of CIH's would act in the same manner. Don

Have you ever been told indirectly not to disclose sampling data that shows a hazardous exposure to an employee? Have you ever had a client tell you directly or indirectly not to disclose sampling data that shows a hazardous exposure to a resident? If not, I wanna move to where you live. Let me know if I should start packing my bags. I am looking for a new place to live. (Sorry Don, I could not resist this one.)

Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

JOINT INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE ASSOCIATIONSMEMBER ETHICAL PRINCIPLESCONFIDENTIAL/DRAFT 3.0-A. Responsibilities to the Professional Organizations and the Profession.In order to satisfy organizational and legal policies and rules, members should:1. Comply with laws, regulations, policies, and ethical standards governing professional practice and related activities, including those of professional associations and credentialing organizations.2. Provide accurate and truthful information to professional associations and credentialing organizations.3. ate with professional associations and credentialing organizations concerning ethics matters and the collection of related information.4. Report apparent violations of applicable professional organizations' ethical standards to appropriate organizations and agencies upon a reasonable and clear factual basis.5. Refrain from any public behavior that is clearly in violation of accepted professional and legal standards.6. Promote equal opportunity and diversity in professional activities.7. Support and disseminate the association's ethics principles to other professionals.B. Responsibilities to Clients, Employers, and the Public.In order to provide ethical professional services, members should:1. Deliver competent services in a timely manner, and with objective and professional judgment.2. Recognize the limitations of professional ability, and to provide services only when qualified. The member is responsible for determining his/her own professional abilities based on education, knowledge, skills, practice experience, and other relevant considerations.3. Provide appropriate professional referrals when unable to provide competent professional assistance.4. Maintain and respect the confidentiality of sensitive information obtained in the course of professional or related activities unless: the information pertains to an illegal activity; a court or governmental agency lawfully directs the release of the information; or, the client/employer expressly authorizes the release of specific information.5. Provide truthful and accurate representations to the public in advertising, public statements/representations, and in the preparation of estimates concerning costs, services, and expected results.6. Properly use professional credentials and provide truthful and accurate representations concerning education, experience, competency and the performance of services.7. Recognize and respect the intellectual property rights of others, and to act in an accurate, truthful, and complete manner, including activities related to professional work and research.8. Affix or authorize the use of his/her seal, stamp or signature only when the document is prepared by the certificant/candidate or someone under their direction and control.9. Refrain from business activities and practices that unlawfully restrict competition.C. Conflict of interest and appearance of impropriety.In order to satisfy organizational policies and legal requirements concerning possible conflicts of interest, members should:1. Disclose to clients, employers, or customers significant circumstances that could be construed as a conflict of interest, or an appearance of impropriety.2. Avoid conduct that could cause a conflict of interest with a client, employer, employee, or customer.3. Ensure that a conflict of interest does not compromise legitimate interests of a client, employer, employee, or customer, or influence/interfere with professional judgments.4. Refrain from offering, or accepting inappropriate payments, gifts, or other forms of compensation or benefits in order to secure work, or which are intended to influence professional judgment.D. Public health and safety.In order to satisfy organizational policies and legal requirements concerning public health and safety, members should:1. Follow appropriate health and safety procedures to protect clients, employers, customers, employees, and the public from conditions where injury and damage are reasonably foreseeable.2. Inform appropriate governmental or professional bodies of violations of legal and organizational professional requirements.

Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Polls

Guest guest

My comments in blue italics below:

n a message dated 4/25/2007 7:52:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time, AirwaysEnv@... writes:

wrote: "It appears that what you are saying here is that it is OK for the consultants and others retained by the opposing parties to the occupants, to interpret the test results any way they want, but that it is not OK for the consultants and others retained by the residents. It is the withholding of test results from occupants by the opposing parties where this has been an accepted practice."

I'm still saying that sampling is a tool to be used by experienced, trained professionals to make decisions about what action to take with regard to further inspection or cleaning. When people who haven't seen many sets of mold testing data look at a lab report, they don't know what they are looking at and see what they want to see.

Steve, I agree with this. However the environmental consultant or any other entity involved does not have the right to withhold test results based upon the assumption that disclosure to an occupant will automatically result in the tests being misinterpreted. You are assuming that the occupant does not have their own experienced EC to do this, or a physician who is skilled in reading the results. You are also going on the assumption that the opposing party to the occupant has hired an ethical "experienced, trained professional" when they may have retained an IH as a hired gun willing to twist, distort and present non factual info in their assessment.

Geyer stated the situation very well with respect to the ownership of the test results. They belong to the party who paid for them. The IH does not have the right to give his/her client's property to anyone who asks. I'm sure that the IH would gladly release the test results and any other information if so authorized by the client. Your demand upon the consultant to release information that belongs to the client may seem reasonable in a "right-to-know" context, but the obligation of the consultant is to treat the information as confidential to the client unless authorized or compelled otherwise. As stated, there are mechanisms available to acquire the information through legal means if their isn't cooperation and good faith dealing between the parties.

You may feel strongly that you are entitled to receive the test results because it reflects upon your health. I don't dispute your right to feel this way. However, you should not "go after" the consultant because the party he is working for is not cooperative. You should hire your own attorney and consultant, preferably in that order, and build your own case. If the "opposing party to the resident" has, in fact, withheld information indicating a hazardous condition, like said, he will be roasted.

I agree with the logic behind the decision:

"Education director Gayle Stucke said copies of the mould report

aren't being released based on advice from the Ministry of Labour

and the Ministry of Health.

"It would not be meaningful to release reports to a person without

the scientific knowledge," she said.

Anyone wishing to review the tests with explanation from the board's

consultant or a health and safety expert is welcome, she added."

If this were the case why not have a meeting early on with everyone together who wish to "review the tests with explanation." The copies could be passed out in the meeting where the expert would be present to discuss the results. It is not like they haven't been asking for and wanting to see the test results.

Now you're talking. This is EXACTLY what should have happened and what I would have tried to coordinate if I had been the consultant on the project.

Steve Temes

Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

Guest guest

You wrote: "I respectfully disagree with your recommendation that there is an issue with confidentiality statements and their use. Currently, I believe they are appropriate and they are adequate. And when we have more knowledge regarding what constitutes a clear and immanent threat of death or serious injury associate with mold, then I believe there are sufficient practices, requirements, and laws already in place."

Well I like your tone. "Respectfully disagree" That's a first. Thank you. But.....

"And when we have more knowledge regarding what constitutes a clear and immanent threat of death or serious injury associate with mold,"

As many years as you have been involved in this issue as a professional, are you really trying to say that we just don't know everything yet and therefore are justified in not warning occupants of moldy buildings, even when various testings indicate it is a sickbuilding...because of a business relationship with the building stakeholder? Or are you trying to say it is ethically justified not to warn your fellow man of a hazardous situation for some other reason?

"The mere presence of mold in a house or office building, even when walls are covered with black mold, does not represent the same risk of harm; because some people will be harmed and some people will not."

So are you saying because some will not be harmed, it is inappropriate to warn those who will? What about families with small children and infants? Is it ethically correct to not share test results that clearly show elevated mold..with mothers of infants living within the moldy buildings? Or mothers of kindergarteners that are in a moldy classroom? If you have 30 children in a moldy classroom, it is not logical to assume that some will be harmed?

"Moreover, what may be a clear and immanent mold threat to an asthmatic or an immuno-compromised person, may be vastly different to a more normal and typical individual, or a healthy and robust person. I don’t see too many folks walking around with “I am immuno-compromised†tattooed in big red letters on their forehead....so how am I supposed to know who may be harmed and who may not?"

As a professional who has superior knowledge over the occupant, don't you think it might be your role to ask this question? Or is it that you do not want to know?

"This said, because of my certifications and licenses, I have a professional duty to inform and disclose a clear and immanent threat to public health that could result in death or serious injury – regardless of my client’s wishes or the contract language between us."

Yes. You do.

Sharon

Guest guest

Sharon:

Confidentiality, confidential work product, and proprietary information....are all standard stuff. It is part of business. You may not like it, and yes, there may be times when the withholding of confidential information may harm someone. On the other hand, if all my work-product was to be released to the public, I would not have any work, nor would anyone else, and if the AIHA, IAQA, or any other organization REQUIRED the release of a member’s work-product to the public (for general consumption), I, for one, would bail-out of that organization as would many other members. Confidential work-product is an underlying principle of PRIVATE enterprise, not PUBLIC service. This said, because of my certifications and licenses, I have a professional duty to inform and disclose a clear and immanent threat to public health that could result in death or serious injury – regardless of my client’s wishes or the contract language between us. And herein lies the crux of the problem with mold......At what point or threshold is a “clear and immanent threat?” Moreover, what may be a clear and immanent mold threat to an asthmatic or an immuno-compromised person, may be vastly different to a more normal and typical individual, or a healthy and robust person. I don’t see too many folks walking around with “I am immuno-compromised” tattooed in big red letters on their forehead....so how am I supposed to know who may be harmed and who may not? My professional duty is not based on selectivity, individual preferences/predispositions, etc. It is a general-duty clause. Moreover, I am not a medical professional, therefore I cannot practice medicine, make medical recommendations, or make medical determinations; in general practice or for selective individuals. On the other hand, as an engineer, I can clearly opine on a structural deficiency regarding potential building collapse; as a CIH, I can clearly opine on client practices when they store their nitric acid in the same closet with open drums of potassium cyanide. These examples clearly represent immanent threats of death or serious injury; and if there were an event, EVERYONE is gonna get harmed; not just the select few who may be predisposed. The mere presence of mold in a house or office building, even when walls are covered with black mold, does not represent the same risk of harm; because some people will be harmed and some people will not.

I respectfully disagree with your recommendation that there is an issue with confidentiality statements and their use. Currently, I believe they are appropriate and they are adequate. And when we have more knowledge regarding what constitutes a clear and immanent threat of death or serious injury associate with mold, then I believe there are sufficient practices, requirements, and laws already in place.

For what it is worth....

and All,

At the risk of going into a touchy subject, the concept that CIH's, thru their cannons of ethical conduct, are to keep info confidential from those living and working within the building...and are only to release this info with the permission of the client/employer, has always bothered me and many others, too. Shouldn't the first ethical obligation be to the health and safety of fellow man (and children) over the business relationship with a client? (I only site AIHA cuz I don't know what IAQA and others say).

And I don't mean to be rude, but you guys need to know this. This is something that does not bode well for the perception of integrity of your industry in the eyes of teachers, employees, school children, parents, insureds, new home buyers, workers comp appliers, etc. It makes people not think highly of the industrywide ethics, when they and their loved ones have been left unaware in a sick environment - while you all (you all is an " in general term " not directed at ANYONE) knew it was sick, yet did not immediately inform because of a business obligation with the owner/insurer, etc.

I can't tell you how bad it personally angered me, when I read this practice was stated as an " ethical cannon " .

>From the AIHA Code of Ethics:

CANONS OF ETHICAL CONDUCT AND INTERPRETIVE GUIDELINES

Industrial Hygienists shall:

1. Practice their profession following recognized scientific principles with the realization that the lives, health and well-being of people may depend upon their professional judgment and that they are obligated to protect the health and well-being of people.

Industrial Hygienists should base their professional opinions, judgments, interpretations of findings and recommendations upon recognized scientific principles and practices which preserve and protect the health and well-being of people.

Industrial Hygienists shall not distort, alter or hide facts in rendering professional opinions or recommendations.

Industrial Hygienists shall not knowingly make statements that misrepresent or omit facts.

2. Counsel affected parties factually regarding potential health risks and precautions necessary to avoid adverse health effects.

Industrial Hygienists should obtain information regarding potential health risks from reliable sources.

Industrial Hygienists should review the pertinent, readily available information to factually inform the affected parties.

Industrial Hygienists should initiate appropriate measures to see that the health risks are effectively communicated to the affected parties.

Parties may include management, clients, employees, contractor employees, or others dependent on circumstances at the time.

3. Keep confidential personal and business information obtained during the exercise of industrial hygiene activities, except when required by law or overriding health and safety considerations.

Industrial Hygienists should report and communicate information which is necessary to protect the health and safety of workers and the community.

If their professional judgment is overruled under circumstances where the health and lives of people are endangered, industrial hygienists shall notify their employer or client or other such authority, as may be appropriate.

Industrial Hygienists should release confidential personal or business information only with the information owners' express authorization, except when there is a duty to disclose information as required by law or regulation.

There are no laws or regulations that require a CIH to disclose the info to the occupants, are there?

4. Avoid circumstances where a compromise of professional judgment or conflict of interest may arise.

Industrial Hygienists should promptly disclose known or potential conflicts of interest to parties that may be affected.

Industrial Hygienists shall not solicit or accept financial or other valuable consideration from any party, directly or indirectly, which is intended to influence professional judgment.

Industrial Hygienists shall not offer any substantial gift, or other valuable consideration, in order to secure work.

Industrial Hygienists should advise their clients or employer when they initially believe a project to improve industrial hygiene conditions will not be successful.

Industrial Hygienists should not accept work that negatively impacts the ability to fulfill existing commitments.

In the event that this Code of Ethics appears to conflict with another professional code to which industrial hygienists are bound, they will resolve the conflict in the manner that protects the health of affected parties.

If a CIH is working for a property owner and test results show that the molds/levels are hazardous for the occupants, yet the CIH is required by the Code of Ethics not to tell the occupants unless the owner gives permission, then isn't everyday a conflict of interest?

Sharon

Guest guest

Hi, Sharon:I am certainly glad that you are in favor of these revised Code of Ethics. :) Now it is on to IAQA and a revision of their Code of Ethics. I would recommend that you apply for an AIHA membership, and I will support your application. :)Don

Don,

Thank you! I would be honored to be a member of AIHA, just as I would IAQA. But I intentionally do not hold a membership or sit on any board of directors for non-profits involved in the mold issue. Even the mold advocacy groups, I hold no memberships. I like to remain autonomous. Since my focus of study is conflicts of interest - mainly from the medical side - its better that way. People don't like it when you are looking into their potential conflicts of interest. I would rather it just be me they hate, rather than a whole organization.

Guest guest

Hi, Sharon:I am certainly glad that you are in favor of these revised Code of Ethics. :) Now it is on to IAQA and a revision of their Code of Ethics. I would recommend that you apply for an AIHA membership, and I will support your application. :)Don

Don,

Thank you! I would be honored to be a member of AIHA, just as I would IAQA. But I intentionally do not hold a membership or sit on any board of directors for non-profits involved in the mold issue. Even the mold advocacy groups, I hold no memberships. I like to remain autonomous. Since my focus of study is conflicts of interest - mainly from the medical side - its better that way. People don't like it when you are looking into their potential conflicts of interest. I would rather it just be me they hate, rather than a whole organization.

Guest guest

Hi, Sharon:

I am certainly glad that you are in favor of these revised Code of

Ethics. :) Now it is on to IAQA and a revision of their Code of

Ethics. I would recommend that you apply for an AIHA membership, and

I will support your application. :)

Don

>

>

> In a message dated 4/25/2007 3:56:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

> don.weekes@... writes:

>

> JOINT INDUSTRIAL HYGIENE ASSOCIATIONS

> MEMBER ETHICAL PRINCIPLES

> CONFIDENTIAL/CONFIDENT

>

> -A. Responsibilities to the Professional Organizations and the

> Profession.

> In order to satisfy organizational and legal policies and rules,

> members should:

> 1. Comply with laws, regulations, policies, and ethical standards

> governing professional practice and related activities, including

> those of professional associations and credentialing organizations.

> 2. Provide accurate and truthful information to professional

> associations and credentialing organizations.

> 3. ate with professional associations and credentialing

> organizations concerning ethics matters and the collection of

related

> information.

> 4. Report apparent violations of applicable professional

> organizations' ethical standards to appropriate organizations and

> agencies upon a reasonable and clear factual basis.

> 5. Refrain from any public behavior that is clearly in violation

of

> accepted professional and legal standards.

> 6. Promote equal opportunity and diversity in professional

activities.

> 7. Support and disseminate the association'7. Support and dissemin

> other professionals.

> B. Responsibilities to Clients, Employers, and the Public.

> In order to provide ethical professional services, members should:

> 1. Deliver competent services in a timely manner, and with

objective

> and professional judgment.

> 2. Recognize the limitations of professional ability, and to

provide

> services only when qualified. The member is responsible for

> determining his/her own professional abilities based on education,

> knowledge, skills, practice experience, and other relevant

> considerations.

> 3. Provide appropriate professional referrals when unable to

provide

> competent professional assistance.

> 4. Maintain and respect the confidentiality of sensitive

information

> obtained in the course of professional or related activities

unless:

> the information pertains to an illegal activity; a court or

> governmental agency lawfully directs the release of the

information;

> or, the client/employer expressly authorizes the release of

specific

> information.

> 5. Provide truthful and accurate representations to the public in

> advertising, public statements/represenadvertising, public

> preparation of estimates concerning costs, services, and expected

> results.

> 6. Properly use professional credentials and provide truthful and

> accurate representations concerning education, experience,

competency

> and the performance of services.

> 7. Recognize and respect the intellectual property rights of

others,

> and to act in an accurate, truthful, and complete manner,

including

> activities related to professional work and research.

> 8. Affix or authorize the use of his/her seal, stamp or signature

> only when the document is prepared by the certificant/only when

> someone under their direction and control.

> 9. Refrain from business activities and practices that unlawfully

> restrict competition.

> C. Conflict of interest and appearance of impropriety.

> In order to satisfy organizational policies and legal requirements

> concerning possible conflicts of interest, members should:

> 1. Disclose to clients, employers, or customers significant

> circumstances that could be construed as a conflict of interest, or

> an appearance of impropriety.

> 2. Avoid conduct that could cause a conflict of interest with a

> client, employer, employee, or customer.

> 3. Ensure that a conflict of interest does not compromise

legitimate

> interests of a client, employer, employee, or customer, or

> influence/interfere with professional judgments.

> 4. Refrain from offering, or accepting inappropriate payments,

gifts,

> or other forms of compensation or benefits in order to secure

work,

> or which are intended to influence professional judgment.

> D. Public health and safety.

> In order to satisfy organizational policies and legal requirements

> concerning public health and safety, members should:

> 1. Follow appropriate health and safety procedures to protect

> clients, employers, customers, employees, and the public from

> conditions where injury and damage are reasonably foreseeable.

> 2. Inform appropriate governmental or professional bodies of

> violations of legal and organizational professional requirements.

>

>

> That is much better! I know with real estate, in order to protect

ALL

> involved, the rule is " when in doubt disclose " . Which is logical

from ethical and

> financial standpoint. Can I join AIHA and vote " yes " for this

change?

>

> WR,

> Sharon

>

>

>

> ************************************** See what's free at

http://www.aol.com.

>

Guest guest

:

I appreciate your kind remarks, and I do want you to know that I

don't necessarily represent all IH's, or anything close to that. But

I am willing to answer for myself, and what I have seen over the last

32 years of work. :)

Second, you should be aware that there is an Ethics Complaint system

in place for AIHA, and some of us are in the midst of utilizing it

against certain labs. The ABIH has its' own mechanism for the

removal of the title, CIH, which is mainly focussed around the

individual's certification maintenance (CM) point total over a six

year period. This is strictly an individual's responsibility to

maintain. There are no corporate members for ABIH. Many CIH's have

lost their designation by their failure to gather sufficient CM

points in the six year time frame.

What would I expect from a professional organization such as AIHA

when it reviews an Ethics complaint, particularly against a corporate

member? I would expect a thorough investigation regarding the

complaint, and, if the complaint is proven, the appropriate 'action'

to be taken. What might be that action? Non-renewal of membership,

removal of logos from brochures and websites, and, if the corporation

refuses to comply, legal action against the corporation.

As you can imagine, this is a rare event for a variety of reasons.

Generally, an Ethics complainant is a fellow CIH, and most individual

CIH's are not willing to spend the time and energy to file a

complaint, much less follow it up. Additionally, AIHA is not in the

disciplinary and enforcement business with regards to its members.

It is, at this point in time, fortunate to continue to have 10,000

members, given the ageing of the individual members (average age:

50+). It would require an particularly egregious breach of ethics

for this type of complaint to be filed.

Regarding disclosure: I really don't think that you will find many

CIH's 'lurking in the shadows' regarding sampling results. If

anything, these are the individuals that are standing up in front of

the crowd answering questions about the results. Actions DO speak

louder than words, and that is what I see my fellow CIH's doing on a

daily basis.

Now that doesn't mean that there aren't a few 'bad actors' out

there! But I would surmise that the vast majority of the individuals

that you are referring to are not CIH's, or any other accredited

designation. They DO ruin the reputation of the profession, and, if

you have reading some of the other posts regarding conflict of

interest, you know that there is a group of us who are attempting

to 'clean up' the industry, particularly the EC side.

Regarding 'medical data': when I begin the questioning of the

individuals who are affected by the indoor air quality conditions,

including mold, in their workplace, it is often true that I receive a

lot of information from the workers about their medical conditions.

I have been provided with symptoms, medical reports, presciptions,

diagnoses, etc. In some cases, the corporate doctor is also

providing me with the medical records of the individuals in

question. This 'medical data', although it may not be 'official'

medical data, is in my mind confidential information. I certainly

would not be at liberty to disclose this data, nor the air sampling

data that may correlate with that individual's medical condition

until this has been fully discussed with their physician and/or the

medical director of the corporation.

Start packing your bags! :) Actually, since over the last 32 years,

I have worked throughout the US and Canada, you won't have to pack,

you are already there! :) This is mainly because I make sure that

my client knows, in advance BEFORE I take a single sample, what they

will have to do with the data from the sampling. If a client does

not wish to disclose the results, then I walk away. Strangely, that

has happened only once that I remember, more than 20 years ago.

Since OSHA's Hazard Communication Regulation went into effect in the

1980's, it has never come up as an issue. Remember: they call me, I

don't call them. They want my services, and they will take them as I

offer them.

Now, OSHA does not apply to residences, but it certainly applies to

school employees. For residents in a home, I ask the insurance

company if I can send a copy of my report, and the insurance company

always says 'Yes'. I have never had a client say 'No'. Again I make

sure before I start that the client knows what will happen to the

data once I receive it back from the lab. So it has never been a

problem. :)

Don

" In December, 2006, a proposed change to the Ethical

Principles

> was

> made, and I have printed the proposal below. Please note Section D

> on 'Public Health and Safety'. I think that this answers some of

> your questions on this matter. This is still being reviewed, but I

> expect that it will be adopted soon by all of the industrial

hygiene

> organizations (ABIH, AIHA, AAIH, AGCIH). "

>

> First in regard to these new proposed changes to the Ethical

Principals,

> without a disciplinary system in place to enforce these new

changes, this means

> little. The organizations such as the board itself, the ABIH

announced there

> will be no disciplinary system set in place.

>

>

>

> Both section A3 and B4 reinforce the industries accepted practice

of

> withholding sampling results from occupants. This continues to

allow and support

> the industrial hygienist to lurk in the shadows of the parties

that retain

> their services, that are breaching fiduciary duties by refusing to

disclose

> sampling results to the [residential] occupants. Sadly, " the need

to withhold "

> for purposes of financial gain overrides " the need to know " for

the health and

> safety of the occupant. Actions of this industry speak louder

than their

> words.

>

> Section B discusses the responsibilities to the client, the

employees

> and the public. B.4 is the statement regarding 'sensitive

> information'information'<WBR>, and its release with permission of t

> may, in some cases, also involve medical data of employees. I think

> that there does need to be an agreement, preferably agreed before

the

> project begins, as to how and when information on sampling will be

> disclosed. I always discuss this with my clients before proceeding

> with the work.

>

> -A. Responsibilities to the Professional Organizations and the

> Profession.

> 3. ate with professional associations and credentialing

> organizations concerning ethics matters and the collection of

related

> information.

>

>

> B. Responsibilities to Clients, Employers, and the Public.

> 4.Maintain and respect the confidentiality of sensitive

information

> obtained in the course of professional or related activities

unless:

> the information pertains to an illegal activity; a court or

> governmental agency lawfully directs the release of the

information;

> or, the client/employer expressly authorizes the release of

specific

> information.

>

> I am not sure of what you are referring to in the way of " medical

data. "

> Could you tell me in what context this might be applicable and to

what type of

> data that might be involved with these new ethical codes?

>

>

>

> D.Public Health and Safety

> 1. Follow appropriate health and safety procedures to protect

> clients, employers, customers, employees, and the public from

> conditions where injury and damage are reasonably foreseeable.

> 2. Inform appropriate governmental or professional bodies of

> violations of legal and organizational professional requirements

>

>

>

>

> In a message dated 4/25/2007 3:56:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

> don.weekes@... writes:

>

> Sharon:

>

> I understand your concerns about the current joint industrial

hygiene

> Code of Ethics, regards to disclosal of information gathered

during

> an inspection of a facility. Please keep in mind that, until very

> recently, most CIH's worked for the company rather than as an

outside

> consultant. This has changed, obviously, over the last 10-15

years.

> But there are still a large number of CIH's that are employed by

the

> corporations who are not consultants to the public.

>

> In addition, it is important to remember that CIH's employed by

> consultants are not public health officials. They do not make the

> decisions on the disclosal of test results at schools or public

> buildings. This is left to the Health Department of the city or

> state. I worked in many situations with public health officials,

and

> they have a tough job to do, to determine what information is to

be

> released to the public. It is about risk communication and

> management, and making sure the data is accurate. Misinformation

and

> miscommunication, in many cases, is a worse 'hazard' than the

initial

> situation.

> The issue of disclosure does become more complex when it involves

a public

> building, which is why I have attempted to address the issue of

disclosure for

> now, in terms of residential occupants.

>

> In December, 2006, a proposed change to the Ethical Principles was

> made, and I have printed the proposal below. Please note Section D

> on 'Public Health and Safety'. I think that this answers some of

> your questions on this matter. This is still being reviewed, but I

> expect that it will be adopted soon by all of the industrial

hygiene

> organizations (ABIH, AIHA, AAIH, AGCIH).

>

> Section B discusses the responsibilities to the client, the

employees

> and the public. B.4 is the statement regarding 'sensitive

> information'information'<WBR>, and its release with permission of t

> may, in some cases, also involve medical data of employees. I think

> that there does need to be an agreement, preferably agreed before

the

> project begins, as to how and when information on sampling will be

> disclosed. I always discuss this with my clients before proceeding

> with the work.

>

> Finally, I agree that it is a terrible situation when people are

> exposed to potentially hazardous environments. That is why I got

> into this profession, to help people to avoid illness and remain

> healthy at their workplace, and now at home. I don't know of a

> single CIH that doesn't feel the same as I do about this. We work

> hard every day to protect people who find themselves in this

> situation.

>

>

>

> I have never had a client tell me directly not to

> disclose sampling data that shows a hazardous exposure to an

> employee. I would not work for a client that requested that. I

> believe that the vast majority of CIH's would act in the same

manner. Don

>

> Have you ever been told indirectly not to disclose sampling data

that shows

> a hazardous exposure to an employee? Have you ever had a client

tell you

> directly or indirectly not to disclose sampling data that shows a

hazardous

> exposure to a resident? If not, I wanna move to where you

live. Let me know

> if I should start packing my bags. I am looking for a new place

to live.

> (Sorry Don, I could not resist this one.)

>

> Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

>

Guest guest

Sharon:

My response to your questions are shown below in BOLD CAPS

Regards,

You wrote: " I respectfully disagree with your recommendation that there is an issue with confidentiality statements and their use. Currently, I believe they are appropriate and they are adequate. And when we have more knowledge regarding what constitutes a clear and immanent threat of death or serious injury associate with mold, then I believe there are sufficient practices, requirements, and laws already in place. "

Well I like your tone. " Respectfully disagree " That's a first. Thank you. But.....

" And when we have more knowledge regarding what constitutes a clear and immanent threat of death or serious injury associate with mold, "

As many years as you have been involved in this issue as a professional, are you really trying to say that we just don't know everything yet and therefore are justified in not warning occupants of moldy buildings, even when various testings indicate it is a sickbuilding...because of a business relationship with the building stakeholder? Or are you trying to say it is ethically justified not to warn your fellow man of a hazardous situation for some other reason? NEITHER. YOU ARE TAKING MY COMMENTS OUT OF CONTEXT AND INFERING ELEMENTS THAT I DID NOT.

" The mere presence of mold in a house or office building, even when walls are covered with black mold, does not represent the same risk of harm; because some people will be harmed and some people will not. "

So are you saying because some will not be harmed, it is inappropriate to warn those who will? What about families with small children and infants? Is it ethically correct to not share test results that clearly show elevated mold..with mothers of infants living within the moldy buildings? Or mothers of kindergarteners that are in a moldy classroom? If you have 30 children in a moldy classroom, it is not logical to assume that some will be harmed? YOUR QUESTIONS ARE MYOPIC AND AGAIN, YOU ARE TAKING MY COMMENTS OUT OF CONTEXT AND INFERING ELEMENTS THAT I DID NOT. QUESTION TO YOU....WHICH IS MORE OF AN IMENENT DANGER......30 CHILDREN IN A MOLDY CLASSROOM, 30 CHILDREN IN AN UNSTALBE CLASSROOM BUILDING THAT MAY SUDDENLY COLLAPSE AT ANY TIME, OR 30 CHILDREN IN A SCIENCE CLASSROOM THAT CONTAINS 1-MOLAR NITRIC ACID IN THE SAME CABINET WITH OPEN DRUMS OF POSTASSIUM CYANIDE? HAVE I PUT THIS INTO PERSPECTIVE FOR YOU?!? DEFINE “MOLDY CLASSROOM?” IS IT MOLD UNDER THE SINK CABINET? IS IT MOLD ON CEILING TILES? IS IT MOLD ON A WALL? IS IT MOLD ON ALL THE WALLS? IS IT ACTIVE MOLD OR DRY MOLD? IS IT A SINGLE EVENT OR RE-OCURRING? IS IT...... THE ISSUE WITH MOLD IS IN THE DEFINITION, SCOPE, PERSPECTIVE AND CHARACTERISTIC. A BUILDING OF POSSIBLE COLLAPSE, OR CHEMICALS OF SUDDEN DEATH, DO NOT WARRANT DEFINITION OR PERSPECTIVE TO SUBSTANTIATE IMMEDIATE HARM. MOLD DOES.

" Moreover, what may be a clear and immanent mold threat to an asthmatic or an immuno-compromised person, may be vastly different to a more normal and typical individual, or a healthy and robust person. I don’t see too many folks walking around with “I am immuno-compromised” tattooed in big red letters on their forehead....so how am I supposed to know who may be harmed and who may not? "

As a professional who has superior knowledge over the occupant, don't you think it might be your role to ask this question? Or is it that you do not want to know? NO, AND SOMETIMES YES. SHARON, IT IS CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU DO NOT FULLY GRASP THE CONCEPT AND/OR THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE IEP. IF WE, AS IEPs, FEEL STRONGLY THAT PERSONS ARE AT SIGNIFICANT RISK, THEN WE HAVE A MORAL, AND ETHICAL DUTY, FAR AND ABOVE A PROFESSIONAL DUTY, TO SAY SOMETHING. HOWEVER, IF WE EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD), WHEN WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DUTY TO OUR CLIENT, WE WILL GET OUR PROFESSIONAL ASSES SUED! IF I HAVE A NEED TO INFORM ANYONE, IT WILL FIRST BE COMMUNCATED TO MY CLIENT – THE CLIENT HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY, DUTY AND, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, THE AUTHRITY TO ACT. SECOND, IF THE CLIENT DOES NOT ACT AND I FEEL THAT PERSONS ARE STILL AT SIGNIFICANT RISK, I WILL INFORM THE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT OF MY FINDINGS, BUT NOT MY RECOMMENDATIONS. I WILL NOT, NEVER, INFORM THE OCCUPANTS UNLESS AUTHORIZED TO DO SO BY THE CLIENT. TO DO SO WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION IS PROFESSIONAL SUICIDE. INFORMING THE LOCAL ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, AND IN THE CASE OF MOLD IT IS OFTEN THE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT, IS THE BEST AND MOST APPROPRIATE ENTITY TO INFORM IN THIS SITUATION. TO INFORM THE OCCUPANTS IS TO INFLAME AND INCITE OPPOSSING PARTIES, WHICH WILL OFTEN RESULT IN INACTION AND LITIGATION, NOT PROTECTION AND MITIGATION.

" This said, because of my certifications and licenses, I have a professional duty to inform and disclose a clear and immanent threat to public health that could result in death or serious injury – regardless of my client’s wishes or the contract language between us. "

Yes. You do.

Sharon

Guest guest

Hi ,

You write: "SHARON, IT IS CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU DO NOT FULLY GRASP THE CONCEPT AND/OR THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE IEP.... IF WE EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD), WHEN WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DUTY TO OUR CLIENT, WE WILL GET OUR PROFESSIONAL ASSES SUED!"

I do understand. "IF WE EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD)"

You seem to think I am complaining AT you. I am not. I am actually complaining on your behalf. We all know that there is a level of mold contamination that one can logically deduce could pose a threat to human health. And when that occurs, regardless of your fiduciary duty to your client, you have a duty to warn. But if you warn, where are the physicians to back up your concerns? They are nowhere because of the teachings of ACOEM falsely promoting that symptoms of toxicity are not plausible to occur from mold exposure indoors, thus keeping the physicians that you need to support you, ignorant of the matter.

And who is further promoting this false stance that leaves YOU in a conflicted position of warn - possibly get sued, don't warn - leave children unknowingly in a probably hazardous situation? Your own association that is meant to protect YOU, AIHA.

The "not plausible" stance based on examining mold in rodents to deduce from a single calculation, absence of human symptoms indicative of toxicity from indoor mold exposure has been:

1. Outed as junk science on the front page of the Wall Street Journal

2. Denounced as junk science by the IOM Damp Indoor Spaces and Health, Mycotoxin author.

3. Not found to be an acceptable modeling theory to deduce absence of human illness in the Harold case, Sacramento, CA.

Yet, it appears your association is going to allow this unscientific information be given as education for members of AIHA:

http://www.aiha.org/Content/CE/aihce/aihce-techmon.htm#213

Recently Published Evaluations of the Association of Mycotoxins and Health Effects in Indoor Environments. B. D. Hardin, Veritox, Inc., Redmond, WA.

Insurance Perspectives and Impacts on Indoor Mold Claims. M.W. Ladd, CNA, Chicago, IL..I believe this to be a code of ethics violation by the governing body of AIHA that is detrimental not only to the health of the public, but to the members of AIHA itself. It's what leaves you in a position of having to worry if you warn small children of a health hazard, you "might get your ass sued". Because of these unscientific, false teachings, you are being left holding the bag to: EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD)"..or choose to look the other way to the detriment of the public.

Code of Ethics, AIHA:

1. Practice their profession following recognized scientific principles with the realization that the lives, health and well-being of people may depend upon their professional judgment and that they are obligated to protect the health and well-being of people.

2. Counsel affected parties factually regarding potential health risks and precautions necessary to avoid adverse health effects.

http://www.policyholdersofamerica.org/newsletter/feb_2007/6-9.pdf

Sharon

Guest guest

/Sharon,

As someone that does quite a bit of work with people ill from mold ... I consider myself quite in tune with the potential for mold to cause illness.

Making any statements about the potential for indoor mold growth to cause illness is certainly not for anyone in our profession to do.

If someone is not sensitive to mold, even quite high levels of mold will not affect them. I have found of course that massive levels of mold can effect almost anyone, but at those levels there will be quite a bit of visible mold and smells and it will be clear to everyone that there is a mold problem.

If small children are involved, the aged, persons undergoing chemotherapy, chemically and/or mold sensitive people are involved and there is a potential elevated mold my personal approach is:

Take off my mask and do the investigation without one. I am moderately mold sensitive. If I get irritated or my eyes burn I tell the occupants that my eyes are burning or I am not feeling well and don't recommend that anyone sensitive stay in the house or office. But I don't give them any test results as that is not their property. If someone wants to sue for for may actions saying I got sick from the mold ... take a shot. That will not be an easy lawsuit in FLA.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

Re: Re: SAHA toxic mold tests are negative Say what?

Hi ,

You write: "SHARON, IT IS CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU DO NOT FULLY GRASP THE CONCEPT AND/OR THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE IEP.... IF WE EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD), WHEN WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DUTY TO OUR CLIENT, WE WILL GET OUR PROFESSIONAL ASSES SUED!"

I do understand. "IF WE EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD)"

You seem to think I am complaining AT you. I am not. I am actually complaining on your behalf. We all know that there is a level of mold contamination that one can logically deduce could pose a threat to human health. And when that occurs, regardless of your fiduciary duty to your client, you have a duty to warn. But if you warn, where are the physicians to back up your concerns? They are nowhere because of the teachings of ACOEM falsely promoting that symptoms of toxicity are not plausible to occur from mold exposure indoors, thus keeping the physicians that you need to support you, ignorant of the matter.

And who is further promoting this false stance that leaves YOU in a conflicted position of warn - possibly get sued, don't warn - leave children unknowingly in a probably hazardous situation? Your own association that is meant to protect YOU, AIHA.

The "not plausible" stance based on examining mold in rodents to deduce from a single calculation, absence of human symptoms indicative of toxicity from indoor mold exposure has been:

2. Denounced as junk science by the IOM Damp Indoor Spaces and Health, Mycotoxin author.

3. Not found to be an acceptable modeling theory to deduce absence of human illness in the Harold case, Sacramento, CA.

Yet, it appears your association is going to allow this unscientific information be given as education for members of AIHA:

http://www.aiha. org/Content/ CE/aihce/ aihce-techmon. htm#213

Recently Published Evaluations of the Association of Mycotoxins and Health Effects in Indoor Environments. B. D. Hardin, Veritox, Inc., Redmond, WA.

Insurance Perspectives and Impacts on Indoor Mold Claims. M.W. Ladd, CNA, Chicago, IL..I believe this to be a code of ethics violation by the governing body of AIHA that is detrimental not only to the health of the public, but to the members of AIHA itself. It's what leaves you in a position of having to worry if you warn small children of a health hazard, you "might get your ass sued". Because of these unscientific, false teachings, you are being left holding the bag to: EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD)"..or choose to look the other way to the detriment of the public.

Code of Ethics, AIHA:

http://www.policyho ldersofamerica. org/newsletter/ feb_2007/ 6-9.pdf

Sharon

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Guest guest

/Sharon,

As someone that does quite a bit of work with people ill from mold ... I consider myself quite in tune with the potential for mold to cause illness.

Making any statements about the potential for indoor mold growth to cause illness is certainly not for anyone in our profession to do.

If someone is not sensitive to mold, even quite high levels of mold will not affect them. I have found of course that massive levels of mold can effect almost anyone, but at those levels there will be quite a bit of visible mold and smells and it will be clear to everyone that there is a mold problem.

If small children are involved, the aged, persons undergoing chemotherapy, chemically and/or mold sensitive people are involved and there is a potential elevated mold my personal approach is:

Take off my mask and do the investigation without one. I am moderately mold sensitive. If I get irritated or my eyes burn I tell the occupants that my eyes are burning or I am not feeling well and don't recommend that anyone sensitive stay in the house or office. But I don't give them any test results as that is not their property. If someone wants to sue for for may actions saying I got sick from the mold ... take a shot. That will not be an easy lawsuit in FLA.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

Hi ,

http://www.aiha. org/Content/ CE/aihce/ aihce-techmon. htm#213

Code of Ethics, AIHA:

http://www.policyho ldersofamerica. org/newsletter/ feb_2007/ 6-9.pdf

Sharon

Guest guest

Sharon:

I believe you and I had a discussion about the presentation you are

referring to, and I explained what happened, as clearly as I could.

I would be glad to reiterate those points again, if you like.

The bottom line on the presentation in question is that, at a

professional conference, differing points of view are presented.

Many professionals may disagree with the point of view, but in

science, it is encouraged that the viewpoints be discussed in a

public forum, like a conference, so that others can challenge the

speakers on their points. As you know, there will a group of

attendees at this presentation that will be challenging the speakers

on their points. The presenters at this session are providing

an 'alternative' view on mold and health effects. It is not the

point of view of the majority of IH's that are in this field.

At an AIHA training session, an instructor is chosen who represents

the AIHA position on an issue. Currently, if you read all the

publications and position atatements issued by AIHA on mold since

2001, you will see a consistent point of view on this matter.

Namely, that mold can be a hazard to individuals in a workplace and

in their residences. A teleweb session on mold will be presented

this coming fall that supports that point of view.

There is a big difference between a platform session at the AIHCE,

presented to the professionals attending for their discussion, and an

AIHA-sponsored training session on mold that is open to the public.

We as IH's are not left 'holding the bag', as it were. We have the

full support of our organization for the positions we have taken. I

also explained to you in other correspondence about the change in the

Code of Ethics that is taking place. I believe you indicated your

support of that. I think that AIHA as an organization, and its

members, have proven time and again that they are taking the correct

scientific position on mold and the potential for health effects.

Don

>

>

> Hi ,

>

> You write: " SHARON, IT IS CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU DO NOT FULLY GRASP

THE CONCEPT

> AND/OR THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE IEP.... IF WE EMBARK

ON OUR

> OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN

THEM BASED

> ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD), WHEN WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL

DUTY TO OUR

> CLIENT, WE WILL GET OUR PROFESSIONAL ASSES SUED! "

>

> I do understand. " IF WE EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF

A

> BUILDING OF OUR FINDINGS (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF

A PERCEIVED

> HAZARD) "

>

> You seem to think I am complaining AT you. I am not. I am

actually

> complaining on your behalf. We all know that there is a level of

mold contamination

> that one can logically deduce could pose a threat to human

health. And when

> that occurs, regardless of your fiduciary duty to your client, you

have a

> duty to warn. But if you warn, where are the physicians to back

up your

> concerns? They are nowhere because of the teachings of ACOEM

falsely promoting that

> symptoms of toxicity are not plausible to occur from mold exposure

indoors,

> thus keeping the physicians that you need to support you, ignorant

of the

> matter.

>

> And who is further promoting this false stance that leaves YOU in

a

> conflicted position of warn - possibly get sued, don't warn -

leave children

> unknowingly in a probably hazardous situation? Your own

association that is meant to

> protect YOU, AIHA.

>

> The " not plausible " stance based on examining mold in rodents to

deduce from

> a single calculation, absence of human symptoms indicative of

toxicity from

> indoor mold exposure has been:

>

> 1. Outed as junk science on the front page of the Wall Street

Journal

> 2. Denounced as junk science by the IOM Damp Indoor Spaces and

Health,

> Mycotoxin author.

> 3. Not found to be an acceptable modeling theory to deduce absence

of human

> illness in the Harold case, Sacramento, CA.

> Yet, it appears your association is going to allow this

unscientific

> information be given as education for members of AIHA:

> _http://www.aiha.org/Content/CE/aihce/aihce-techmon.htm#213 _

> (http://www.aiha.org/Content/CE/aihce/aihce-techmon.htm#213 )

> Recently Published Evaluations of the Association of Mycotoxins and

Health

> Effects in Indoor Environments. B. D. Hardin, Veritox, Inc.,

Redmond, WA.

> Insurance Perspectives and Impacts on Indoor Mold Claims. M.W.

Ladd, CNA,

> Chicago, IL..

>

>

> I believe this to be a code of ethics violation by the governing

body of

> AIHA that is detrimental not only to the health of the public, but

to the

> members of AIHA itself. It's what leaves you in a position of

having to worry if

> you warn small children of a health hazard, you " might get your ass

sued " .

> Because of these unscientific, false teachings, you are being

left holding the

> bag to: EMBARK ON OUR OWN AND INFORM OCCUPANTS OF A BUILDING OF

OUR FINDINGS

> (I.E., WARN THEM BASED ON OUR OPINION OF A PERCEIVED HAZARD) " ..or

choose to

> look the other way to the detriment of the public.

> Code of Ethics, AIHA:

>

> 1. Practice their profession following recognized scientific

principles with

> the realization that the lives, health and well-being of people may

depend

> upon their professional judgment and that they are obligated to

protect the

> health and well-being of people.

> 2. Counsel affected parties factually regarding potential health

risks and

> precautions necessary to avoid adverse health effects.

> _http://www.policyholdersofamerica.org/newsletter/feb_2007/6-9.pdf_

> (http://www.policyholdersofamerica.org/newsletter/feb_2007/6-

9.pdf)

> Sharon

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ************************************** See what's free at

http://www.aol.com.

>

Guest guest

and Steve,

Due to the complexity involved with public disclosures, and because of this very issue, I have attempted to narrow my discussions to residential occupants. I also have to say that I find the exploration of legal and ethical issues of disclosure pertaining to this industry, very interesting.

I am in agreement that the party responsible [to the residential occupants] that retains the services of the IH has the ultimate responsibility to disclose. Given this, should the landlord who owns the building that has become infested with Stachy affecting the tenants living spaces, as well as their health, be free to disclose or not? And what of the tenants ranging in age from the elderly, to children and newborns? What is the ethical obligation of the IH retained by the owner who refuses to disclose sampling results, especially when the IH has knowledge of the medical conditions of those residents?

Of course I do understand the reality of this being a business. If IHs were to go against the wishes of their client-employers in these types of situations most if not all would never be hired by defense again. This is why there needs to be laws set in place to protect not only the interest of the residential occupant, but that of the IH whose obligation should be to the preservation of health.

states,"If a tenant wants results to any sampling within their occupied space, they should request a copy of the results at the time they grant access for the owner to collect samples."This would be great in an ideal world. However, this suggestion is to deny the adversarial system that exists both legally and otherwise whenever there are opposite interests involved. Again, when the occupants "need to know" is for the purpose of their own health and safety, and your client-employers "need to withhold from the occupant" is based upon financial gain, there is going to be conflict, dissension, disputes and lawsuits. The consultant in many situations knows full well what is taking place and why. If not, then the EC would be at the same level of the "tester."

states," If there is a dispute then results can be discovered lawfully using current means."

Why should any residential occupant who is dealing with health issues have to be forced to seek out legal means to obtain test results that were taken from their own living space? And then what of the residential occupants who are not able to do this? And what of the resident that has no idea why their children have ended up with bouts of pneumonia, various infections, and chronic asthma, who do not even know to ask for the results? Sadly most residents do not even know to ask for the sampling results and all too often accept the false reassurance in being told that everything is OK. Both condo owners and tenants alike are often told that there is not a problem taking place and maintenance will be sent in to take care of any moldy areas. Now because of the liability to these very employees, remediation companies willing to do a superficial patch job are sometimes sent instead.

In your reference to a law regarding disclosure presenting a conflict of interest for attorney-client privileged information or otherwise, sampling results should be disclosed well before this necessitates the intervention of any attorney. The withholding of sampling results for mold automatically creates a hostile relationship between the 2 parties. This often antagonizes the occupant which can result in lawsuits which otherwise could have been avoided. The opposing party to the resident, rolls the dice that the resident will not sue.

I have written in the role of a writer and as an advocate for seniors, a series of articles following a lawsuit that took place at a retirement community revolving around disclosure issues. Though this did not pertain to mold, it does pertain to the fact that the withholding of information from residents can and does often result in lawsuits and complaints to legislators that otherwise could have been avoided. Community associations throughout California (as well as across the US) were so unwilling to be reasonable in their disclosure of the books and records, that 2 bills in California were enacted into law specifically making it illegal to withhold documents from residents who request them. All the efforts of powerful and moneyed lobbyists could not stop those 2 bills from moving forward.

, I am not clear how you are referencing the term "owner" in regard to litigation. I am going to assume you are referring to landlords as the owner. My reference to occupants is in relationship to the resident which can include tenants, owners of condos as well as owners of single dwelling residential homes. In regard to your belief that justice will prevail in litigation for either the plaintiff (as the occupant) or defense, I have to disagree. Justice in these cases (especially for the individual tenant and condo owners) is not equal. The legal odds are most often stacked against an individual with mycotoxin exposure for many reasons. As everyone knows Sharon has been fighting hard for justice to take place in this area. Matter of fact from the gate everything is often stacked against the occupant sick from mold, which is the very reason a movement of advocates and activists alike developed. It is not so much the mold itself that victimizes the occupant but what transpires as a result of that mold. It is the very reason that this movement has been growing resulting in more public attention to what occupants with mold exposure have had to endure and why. And as far as the ramifications of life long health problems and how it is affecting peoples lives, I will leave that discussion for another time.

Again, I can appreciate your statement that you have not been involved in a situation where sample results showing a significant and potentially harmful condition, were withheld. However, your experience does not reflect the types of problems taking place in this industry today.

Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

:I have been stewing on your original post for some time. My first impression, regarding your recommendation that laws should be passed to require divulging sample results, was strongly negative. But I do see your point, and it has merit....so I pondered it for a while. My final opinion is still strongly negative – I do not agree.Making more laws is NOT the answer to resolve this issue. Sample results belong to the entity that paid to have them collected and analyzed – it is an ownership thing, and the owner should be free to make the decision to release or not release. Another law is counter-productive. To threaten the owner (of sample results) with a criminal offense is not good and I believe the law will have a negative effect. Moreover, I believe that the Ballard case in Texas clearly signals what may happen to the owner who has sample results, that indicates a potentially immediate harmful and injurious condition, and decides to withhold data....They got roasted! They got BBQ’d. It cost them plenty. And their careers were demolished. If a tenant wants results to any sampling within their occupied space, they should request a copy of the results at the time they grant access for the owner to collect samples. If there is a dispute, then results can be discovered lawfully and legally using current means. It is a no-brainer. If a law were put into place that made it illegal to withhold sample results, that law would conflict with privileged information/actions that attorneys engage in to generate evidence for trial; and then the laws regulating privileged actions would also warrant changes and the (your) law would breech attorney confidentiality – the trickle-down effect would be huge! While I agree that sometimes sample results are withheld to have negative information kept close-to-the-vest, and it may indicate that some occupant may be harmed, I, for one, have seen sample results withheld because the results did not show bad or harmful data, and were therefore not helpful to the personal injury lawsuit (plaintiff side) and were not divulged to the other (defendant’s) side because it would have been helpful to their case, i.e., that the occupants were not being harmed – AT THAT TIME. And as mentioned in IEQuality, sample results are not predictive of exposure and represent only part of the data set necessary to establish a causative action. I, for one, have not been involved in a situation where sample results, that showed a significant and potentially harmful condition, were withheld. And I say “significant and potentially harmful†because it depends upon the time, place, location, and potential receptor. If that situation ever occurs on my shift, I will make my opinions known and walk, probably run, from the project/client. Moreover, I strongly believe that if an owner withholds data that clearly represents a harmful condition, and that owner has knowledge of that condition, and that owner fails to mitigate and knowingly exposures others to harm......well, that owner will get roasted in civil negligence; albeit, it may be too late for those that got exposed/harmed/injured. Hence the crux of your point and suggestion.Bottom line, and after some serious thought, I do not agree that a mandatory disclosure law, with offenses punishable via the criminal court system, is good or necessary.On 4/24/07 2:30 PM, "bobbinsbiomedaol" <bobbinsbiomedaol> wrote:

In a message dated 4/23/2007 2:38:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, AirwaysEnvcs writes:

In a message dated 4/23/2007 10:40:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, bobbinsbiomedaol writes:

Laws need to be passed making the practice of withholding test results [for mold sampling] from the occupant, illegal. Included in this law should be a set reasonable time frame for compliance. No builder, administrator, homeowner association, landlord, environmental company, consultant, IEP, restoration/remediation company or otherwise should have the right to withhold mold sampling results. This is especially important when it pertains to the health and safety of the occupant whose home was tested. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QMEBe careful what you ask for, . No one will even take samples when anybody can interpret them to mean whatever they want.Steve Temes Steve,It appears that what you are saying here is that it is OK for the consultants and others retained by the opposing parties to the occupants, to interpret the test results any way they want, but that it is not OK for the consultants and others retained by the residents. It is the withholding of test results from occupants by the opposing parties where this has been an accepted practice.If there were laws in place specifically addressing this issue making it illegal to withhold test results from the residents (as the building occupants whose homes were tested), the only ones that would stop taking samples are those working for defense. There would be no change for those environmental consultants/IEPs that are retained by the occupants. The only entity that would withhold mold sampling results from the occupant would be the opposing parties to the occupant. It is the very consultants retained by the opposing parties that are interpreting results in a way that protects the opposing parties and in some cases in doing so, jeopardizes the health and safety of the occupants. The only time I have seen test results withheld from occupants is when the results reflect the liability of the party that is withholding these very results. Otherwise opposing parties have been more then glad to release their results to the residents whose homes they tested. There already exists in place ethical and legal obligations-duties of specific parties. All too often these are being breached in cases when a party withholds the test results from the building residents. This holds especially true where the health of the occupants may be affected by this action. However, this is simply ignored by all too many people. My best guess is that the IAQ, AIHA in setting new ethical standards and codes, will not be addressing this breach of ethics. However, I would much rather be wrong and happy then right and miserable. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new

Guest guest

and Steve,

Due to the complexity involved with public disclosures, and because of this very issue, I have attempted to narrow my discussions to residential occupants. I also have to say that I find the exploration of legal and ethical issues of disclosure pertaining to this industry, very interesting.

I am in agreement that the party responsible [to the residential occupants] that retains the services of the IH has the ultimate responsibility to disclose. Given this, should the landlord who owns the building that has become infested with Stachy affecting the tenants living spaces, as well as their health, be free to disclose or not? And what of the tenants ranging in age from the elderly, to children and newborns? What is the ethical obligation of the IH retained by the owner who refuses to disclose sampling results, especially when the IH has knowledge of the medical conditions of those residents?

Of course I do understand the reality of this being a business. If IHs were to go against the wishes of their client-employers in these types of situations most if not all would never be hired by defense again. This is why there needs to be laws set in place to protect not only the interest of the residential occupant, but that of the IH whose obligation should be to the preservation of health.

states,"If a tenant wants results to any sampling within their occupied space, they should request a copy of the results at the time they grant access for the owner to collect samples."This would be great in an ideal world. However, this suggestion is to deny the adversarial system that exists both legally and otherwise whenever there are opposite interests involved. Again, when the occupants "need to know" is for the purpose of their own health and safety, and your client-employers "need to withhold from the occupant" is based upon financial gain, there is going to be conflict, dissension, disputes and lawsuits. The consultant in many situations knows full well what is taking place and why. If not, then the EC would be at the same level of the "tester."

states," If there is a dispute then results can be discovered lawfully using current means."

Why should any residential occupant who is dealing with health issues have to be forced to seek out legal means to obtain test results that were taken from their own living space? And then what of the residential occupants who are not able to do this? And what of the resident that has no idea why their children have ended up with bouts of pneumonia, various infections, and chronic asthma, who do not even know to ask for the results? Sadly most residents do not even know to ask for the sampling results and all too often accept the false reassurance in being told that everything is OK. Both condo owners and tenants alike are often told that there is not a problem taking place and maintenance will be sent in to take care of any moldy areas. Now because of the liability to these very employees, remediation companies willing to do a superficial patch job are sometimes sent instead.

In your reference to a law regarding disclosure presenting a conflict of interest for attorney-client privileged information or otherwise, sampling results should be disclosed well before this necessitates the intervention of any attorney. The withholding of sampling results for mold automatically creates a hostile relationship between the 2 parties. This often antagonizes the occupant which can result in lawsuits which otherwise could have been avoided. The opposing party to the resident, rolls the dice that the resident will not sue.

I have written in the role of a writer and as an advocate for seniors, a series of articles following a lawsuit that took place at a retirement community revolving around disclosure issues. Though this did not pertain to mold, it does pertain to the fact that the withholding of information from residents can and does often result in lawsuits and complaints to legislators that otherwise could have been avoided. Community associations throughout California (as well as across the US) were so unwilling to be reasonable in their disclosure of the books and records, that 2 bills in California were enacted into law specifically making it illegal to withhold documents from residents who request them. All the efforts of powerful and moneyed lobbyists could not stop those 2 bills from moving forward.

, I am not clear how you are referencing the term "owner" in regard to litigation. I am going to assume you are referring to landlords as the owner. My reference to occupants is in relationship to the resident which can include tenants, owners of condos as well as owners of single dwelling residential homes. In regard to your belief that justice will prevail in litigation for either the plaintiff (as the occupant) or defense, I have to disagree. Justice in these cases (especially for the individual tenant and condo owners) is not equal. The legal odds are most often stacked against an individual with mycotoxin exposure for many reasons. As everyone knows Sharon has been fighting hard for justice to take place in this area. Matter of fact from the gate everything is often stacked against the occupant sick from mold, which is the very reason a movement of advocates and activists alike developed. It is not so much the mold itself that victimizes the occupant but what transpires as a result of that mold. It is the very reason that this movement has been growing resulting in more public attention to what occupants with mold exposure have had to endure and why. And as far as the ramifications of life long health problems and how it is affecting peoples lives, I will leave that discussion for another time.

Again, I can appreciate your statement that you have not been involved in a situation where sample results showing a significant and potentially harmful condition, were withheld. However, your experience does not reflect the types of problems taking place in this industry today.

Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

:I have been stewing on your original post for some time. My first impression, regarding your recommendation that laws should be passed to require divulging sample results, was strongly negative. But I do see your point, and it has merit....so I pondered it for a while. My final opinion is still strongly negative – I do not agree.Making more laws is NOT the answer to resolve this issue. Sample results belong to the entity that paid to have them collected and analyzed – it is an ownership thing, and the owner should be free to make the decision to release or not release. Another law is counter-productive. To threaten the owner (of sample results) with a criminal offense is not good and I believe the law will have a negative effect. Moreover, I believe that the Ballard case in Texas clearly signals what may happen to the owner who has sample results, that indicates a potentially immediate harmful and injurious condition, and decides to withhold data....They got roasted! They got BBQ’d. It cost them plenty. And their careers were demolished. If a tenant wants results to any sampling within their occupied space, they should request a copy of the results at the time they grant access for the owner to collect samples. If there is a dispute, then results can be discovered lawfully and legally using current means. It is a no-brainer. If a law were put into place that made it illegal to withhold sample results, that law would conflict with privileged information/actions that attorneys engage in to generate evidence for trial; and then the laws regulating privileged actions would also warrant changes and the (your) law would breech attorney confidentiality – the trickle-down effect would be huge! While I agree that sometimes sample results are withheld to have negative information kept close-to-the-vest, and it may indicate that some occupant may be harmed, I, for one, have seen sample results withheld because the results did not show bad or harmful data, and were therefore not helpful to the personal injury lawsuit (plaintiff side) and were not divulged to the other (defendant’s) side because it would have been helpful to their case, i.e., that the occupants were not being harmed – AT THAT TIME. And as mentioned in IEQuality, sample results are not predictive of exposure and represent only part of the data set necessary to establish a causative action. I, for one, have not been involved in a situation where sample results, that showed a significant and potentially harmful condition, were withheld. And I say “significant and potentially harmful†because it depends upon the time, place, location, and potential receptor. If that situation ever occurs on my shift, I will make my opinions known and walk, probably run, from the project/client. Moreover, I strongly believe that if an owner withholds data that clearly represents a harmful condition, and that owner has knowledge of that condition, and that owner fails to mitigate and knowingly exposures others to harm......well, that owner will get roasted in civil negligence; albeit, it may be too late for those that got exposed/harmed/injured. Hence the crux of your point and suggestion.Bottom line, and after some serious thought, I do not agree that a mandatory disclosure law, with offenses punishable via the criminal court system, is good or necessary.On 4/24/07 2:30 PM, "bobbinsbiomedaol" <bobbinsbiomedaol> wrote:

Laws need to be passed making the practice of withholding test results [for mold sampling] from the occupant, illegal. Included in this law should be a set reasonable time frame for compliance. No builder, administrator, homeowner association, landlord, environmental company, consultant, IEP, restoration/remediation company or otherwise should have the right to withhold mold sampling results. This is especially important when it pertains to the health and safety of the occupant whose home was tested. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QMEBe careful what you ask for, . No one will even take samples when anybody can interpret them to mean whatever they want.Steve Temes Steve,It appears that what you are saying here is that it is OK for the consultants and others retained by the opposing parties to the occupants, to interpret the test results any way they want, but that it is not OK for the consultants and others retained by the residents. It is the withholding of test results from occupants by the opposing parties where this has been an accepted practice.If there were laws in place specifically addressing this issue making it illegal to withhold test results from the residents (as the building occupants whose homes were tested), the only ones that would stop taking samples are those working for defense. There would be no change for those environmental consultants/IEPs that are retained by the occupants. The only entity that would withhold mold sampling results from the occupant would be the opposing parties to the occupant. It is the very consultants retained by the opposing parties that are interpreting results in a way that protects the opposing parties and in some cases in doing so, jeopardizes the health and safety of the occupants. The only time I have seen test results withheld from occupants is when the results reflect the liability of the party that is withholding these very results. Otherwise opposing parties have been more then glad to release their results to the residents whose homes they tested. There already exists in place ethical and legal obligations-duties of specific parties. All too often these are being breached in cases when a party withholds the test results from the building residents. This holds especially true where the health of the occupants may be affected by this action. However, this is simply ignored by all too many people. My best guess is that the IAQ, AIHA in setting new ethical standards and codes, will not be addressing this breach of ethics. However, I would much rather be wrong and happy then right and miserable. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

Guest guest

Hi ,

You post does not make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something, but it does not seem consistent.

You wrote:

"Making any statements about the potential for indoor mold growth to cause illness is certainly not for anyone in our profession to do."

"....and don't recommend that anyone sensitive stay in the house or office."

So is it not your place to discuss illness or you advise the sensitive not to stay in the house or office?

"But I don't give them any test results as that is not their property."

What if there was a sick child involved and you KNEW from the testing, the building was very sick. Do you have no duty to warn of what the results showed, because the test results are not their property?

What if there was a very sick child involved and the physician was asking for the results to help determine or rule out what was in the child's environment that was making them ill. Then do you stick with the child's family has no right to the results because it is not their property?

Sharon

/Sharon,

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

Guest guest

Hi Don,

You wrote:

"We have the full support of our organization for the positions we have taken. I also explained to you in other correspondence about the change in the Code of Ethics that is taking place. I believe you indicated your support of that. I think that AIHA as an organization, and its members, have proven time and again that they are taking the correct scientific position on mold and the potential for health effects. "

Yes, I believe that to be true for the most part and I do find the change in the Code of Ethics to be for the benefit of the members and the public. But as you noted prior, this particular session apparently was the subject of much discussion among AIHA members. The way it came back into the chat, was that I was using it as an example of the delimma you all face sometimes when you have a fiduciary duty to one party and a public health duty to the other party. And that you all's job would be much easier if there were physicians properly trained to understand mold induced illnesses.

I can pretty much guess that this session is going to say that symptoms indicative of toxicity are not plausible to occur based on the teachings of ACOEM and their non-sequitor leap from a rodent study to absence of symptoms indicative of human toxicity.

"Many professionals may disagree with the point of view, but in science, it is encouraged that the viewpoints be discussed in a public forum, like a conference, so that others can challenge the speakers on their points."

Yes. I think that is a good thing. Differing scientific schools of thought should be discussed openly. But what I am having difficulty with, is that something that is NOT science is going to be allowed to be presented like it is science open for some debate. There is no debate on this one and to act like there is only legitimizes it, like it has merit to be a valid position.

The modeling theory is junk. EVERYONE knows its junk. It belongs in the Journal of Irreproducible Results. I hear even the defense attorneys are not citing this modeling theory to deduce absence of human illness anymore. So I am having a hard time understanding why would these organizations allow it to even be presented in the first place. I think AIHA is making some great progress with the mold issue. But I am sorry, allowing this presentation just does not seem ethical..or scientific to me. It seems more politically motivated and is unnecessarily detrimental to the health of the public. With that said I can't do anything about a conference of which I am not involved. But I hope there is a lively debate on this one!

Does that make sense as to why I am so perplexed that this is even being presented within a scientific forum?

Sharon

Guest guest

"What if you told someone that mold in the house was making the child sick and the dad beat up the landlord and he lost an eye and kidney. And then you found out that the mold problem you thought was in the house was really in the step dad's house where the kid stays 95% of the time."

I think this discussion is getting off track. No one is saying that IAQ pros should tell someone they are sick from a house, an office, or a space ship. One cannot concretely make that statement without more investigation and you all are not qualified to say that anyway.

Schools, where some children are complaining of illness, was the beginning of this discussion.

The gist of the discussion was, if an IAQ pro knows with reasonable certainty that an environment is not healthy for some of the school children, and this reasonable certainty based on testing confirming , which duty takes higher precedence?

A fiduciary duty to the school district who has hired the pro - or a public safety duty to the child - who is exhibiting symptoms that are reasonably thought to be caused by moldy buildings?

The question was, no matter who hired one, does one have a public health duty to warn when it is in the best interest of the public?

The dilemma was, IF you warn, where are the doctors and the Health Depts to back you up? .....as says, so you "don't get your professional asses (PA's) sued" for watching out for the health of the public. And if you don't warn, do you run the risk of getting your PA's sued by the parents of the sick children?

Its a tough one.

In my own personal case, we received a six figure settlement from the testing company. I am just telling you all this personal info that I have not shared before, because I figured that number might make you think about this discussion a little harder. I am not certain it is coming thru to you that their are financial risks for you all both ways.

This is just one more reason the IAQ industry should be fighting back against the unscientific not plausible crowd and be pushing to get the doctors properly trained to give proper advice over the matter.

Giving health advice (or not) should not be falling on your shoulders....and your PA's!

Sharon

Guest guest

Sharon,

There is NO WAY to know if someone is sick from the elevated mold in the house or something else. Maybe the child is sick from mold in the school like mine was! Maybe he/she is sick from something else besides mold.

Many times the problem is that the resident doesn't use an air filter in their AC. Or they don't clean the rugs. Or maybe their place is just nasty and was crawling with bugs so they sprayed pesticide everywhere including on the kids bedding to avoid being evicted for bugs. Whose fault is that?

What if you told someone that mold in the house was making the child sick and the dad beat up the landlord and he lost an eye and kidney. And then you found out that the mold problem you thought was in the house was really in the step dad's house where the kid stays 95% of the time.

No doubt there may be special cases where there is no doubt mold (especially Stachy) is making people sick. I would not give the test results out but I have told people they should evacuate and/or sue their landlord. But again I don't give them the test results. Open a wall and let people look.... anything but give out test results!

Rosen, PH.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

Hi ,

You post does not make sense to me. Maybe I am missing something, but it does not seem consistent.

You wrote:

"Making any statements about the potential for indoor mold growth to cause illness is certainly not for anyone in our profession to do."

"....and don't recommend that anyone sensitive stay in the house or office."

So is it not your place to discuss illness or you advise the sensitive not to stay in the house or office?

"But I don't give them any test results as that is not their property."

What if there was a sick child involved and you KNEW from the testing, the building was very sick. Do you have no duty to warn of what the results showed, because the test results are not their property?

What if there was a very sick child involved and the physician was asking for the results to help determine or rule out what was in the child's environment that was making them ill. Then do you stick with the child's family has no right to the results because it is not their property?

Sharon

/Sharon,

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books. com

Guest guest

I also am an advocate for sick people. However please recall how extensive has been the discussion about pitfalls with mold testing and trying to correlate with, much less prove, illness.

There are very, very few consultants adequately trained in mold assessment to make such determinations. Remember that even CIE's and CIEC's have no formal training in mold assessment standards ... for example IESO sampling standards. CIE's and CIECs are not even required to understand IESO sampling standards nor does the CIE/CIEC certification test include even one question about IESO sampling standards. And IESO is part of he same merged organization that trains and certifies the CIE/CIEC mold consultants!

So if the assessor follows no standards for testing ... how do you know what they are doing makes any sense. It often does not!

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

and Steve,

Why should any residential occupant who is dealing with health issues have to be forced to seek out legal means to obtain test results that were taken from their own living space? And then what of the residential occupants who are not able to do this? And what of the resident that has no idea why their children have ended up with bouts of pneumonia, various infections, and chronic asthma, who do not even know to ask for the results? Sadly most residents do not even know to ask for the sampling results and all too often accept the false reassurance in being told that everything is OK. Both condo owners and tenants alike are often told that there is not a problem taking place and maintenance will be sent in to take care of any moldy areas. Now because of the liability to these very employees, remediation companies willing to

do a superficial patch job are sometimes sent instead.

, I am not clear how you are referencing the term "owner" in regard to litigation. I am going to assume you are referring to landlords as the owner. My reference to occupants is in relationship to the resident which can include tenants, owners of condos as well as owners of single dwelling residential homes. In regard to your belief that justice will prevail in litigation for either the plaintiff (as the occupant) or defense, I have to disagree. Justice in these cases (especially for the individual tenant and condo owners) is not equal. The legal odds are most often stacked against an individual with mycotoxin exposure for many reasons. As everyone knows Sharon has been fighting hard for justice to take place in this area. Matter of fact from the gate everything is often stacked against the occupant sick from mold, which is the very reason a

movement of advocates and activists alike developed. It is not so much the mold itself that victimizes the occupant but what transpires as a result of that mold. It is the very reason that this movement has been growing resulting in more public attention to what occupants with mold exposure have had to endure and why. And as far as the ramifications of life long health problems and how it is affecting peoples lives, I will leave that discussion for another time.

Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME

In a message dated 4/25/2007 7:52:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time, mgeyeratg1 (DOT) com writes:

:I have been stewing on your original post for some time. My first impression, regarding your recommendation that laws should be passed to require divulging sample results, was strongly negative. But I do see your point, and it has merit....so I pondered it for a while. My final opinion is still strongly negative – I do not agree.Making more laws is NOT the answer to resolve this issue. Sample results belong to the entity that paid to have them collected and analyzed – it is an ownership thing, and the owner should be free to make the decision to release or not release. Another law is counter-productive. To threaten the owner (of sample results) with a criminal offense is not good and I believe the law will have a negative effect. Moreover, I believe that the Ballard case in Texas clearly signals what may happen to the owner who has

sample results, that indicates a potentially immediate harmful and injurious condition, and decides to withhold data....They got roasted! They got BBQ’d. It cost them plenty. And their careers were demolished. If a tenant wants results to any sampling within their occupied space, they should request a copy of the results at the time they grant access for the owner to collect samples. If there is a dispute, then results

can be discovered lawfully and legally using current means. It is a no-brainer. If a law were put into place that made it illegal to withhold sample results, that law would conflict with privileged information/ actions that attorneys engage in to generate evidence for trial; and then the laws regulating privileged actions would also warrant changes and the (your) law would breech attorney confidentiality – the trickle-down effect would be huge! While I agree that sometimes sample results are withheld to have negative information kept close-to-the- vest, and it may indicate that some occupant may be harmed, I, for one, have seen sample results withheld because the results did not show bad or harmful data, and were therefore not helpful to the personal injury lawsuit (plaintiff side) and were not divulged to the other (defendant’s) side because it would have been helpful to their case, i.e., that the occupants were not being harmed – AT THAT TIME. And

as mentioned in IEQuality, sample results are not predictive of exposure and represent only part of the data set necessary to establish a causative action. I, for one, have not been involved in a situation where sample results, that showed a significant and potentially harmful condition, were withheld. And I say “significant and potentially harmful” because it depends upon the time, place, location, and potential receptor. If that situation ever occurs on my shift, I will make my opinions known and walk, probably run, from the project/client. Moreover, I strongly believe that if an owner withholds data that clearly represents a harmful condition, and that owner has knowledge of that condition, and that owner fails to mitigate and knowingly exposures others to harm......well, that owner will get roasted in civil negligence; albeit, it may be too late for those that got exposed/harmed/ injured. Hence the crux of your point and

suggestion.Bottom line, and after some serious thought, I do not agree that a mandatory disclosure law, with offenses punishable via the criminal court system, is good or necessary.On 4/24/07 2:30 PM, "bobbinsbiomed@ aol.com" <bobbinsbiomed@ aol.com> wrote:

In a message dated 4/23/2007 2:38:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, AirwaysEnvcs (DOT) com writes:

In a message dated 4/23/2007 10:40:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, bobbinsbiomed@ aol.com writes:

Laws need to be passed making the practice of withholding test results [for mold sampling] from the occupant, illegal. Included in this law should be a set reasonable time frame for compliance. No builder, administrator, homeowner association, landlord, environmental company, consultant, IEP, restoration/ remediation company or otherwise should have the right to withhold mold sampling results. This is especially important when it pertains to the health and safety of the occupant whose home was tested. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QMEBe careful what you ask for, . No one will even take samples when anybody can interpret them to mean whatever they

want.Steve Temes Steve,It appears that what you are saying here is that it is OK for the consultants and others retained by the opposing parties to the occupants, to interpret the test results any way they want, but that it is not OK for the consultants and others retained by the residents. It is the withholding of test results from occupants by the opposing parties where this has been an accepted practice.If there were laws in place

specifically addressing this issue making it illegal to withhold test results from the residents (as the building occupants whose homes were tested), the only ones that would stop taking samples are those working for defense. There would be no change for those environmental consultants/ IEPs that are retained by the occupants. The only entity that would withhold mold sampling results from the occupant would be the opposing parties to the occupant. It is the very consultants retained by the opposing parties that are interpreting results in a way that protects the opposing parties and in some cases in doing so, jeopardizes the health and safety of the occupants. The only time I have seen test results withheld from occupants is when the results reflect the liability of the party that is withholding these very results. Otherwise opposing parties have

been more then glad to release their results to the residents whose homes they tested. There already exists in place ethical and legal obligations- duties of specific parties. All too often these are being breached in cases when a party withholds the test results from the building residents. This holds especially true where the health of the occupants may be affected by this action. However, this is simply ignored by all too many people. My best guess is that the IAQ, AIHA in setting new ethical standards and codes, will not be addressing this breach of ethics. However, I would much rather be wrong and happy then right and miserable. Bobbins, RN, L.Ac, QME