RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: (unknown)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The most common side effect is mild flu type symptoms , her hubby sounds like he has an esophageal bleed and that only happens to those that have stage/grade 4 . It is a side effect of having portal hypertension , it causes varices . Now once your on treatment u may feel some nausea but ask ur doc and he will write a script for something that will make u feel better . Good luck sweety , and hang in there ...have some tylenol ready also .

[Hepatitis_C_ Central] (unknown)> > > > Hi everyone...> > Just a quick question.> Hubby had his first dose of treatment on Monday> and so> far has been doing fairly well. Minus, of course,> the> fact that he said it feels like having the flu and> a> hangover at the same time. His spirits have been> high> though and that's the most important thing...> > This morning though he woke up more nauseous this> normal and when he spit up, he said it was> streaked> with blood. He said it was like when your gums are> bleeding, that amount of blood.> > Of course he is going to the doctor today but I> wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.> > Thanks---> > > >

Guest guest

Again, I didn't mean to scare anyone with my post.

Hubby had eaten some CherryHeads (like LemonHeads) in

the middle of the night, forgotten about it and when

he threw up/spit up from the nausea it looked like it

was streaked with blood.

Sorry if I caused you to worry .

His main problems this week have just been the flu

like syptoms. He said it wasn't as bad as he feared.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

--- elizabethnv1 wrote:

> The most common side effect is mild flu type

> symptoms , her hubby sounds like he has an

> esophageal bleed and that only happens to those that

> have stage/grade 4 . It is a side effect of having

> portal hypertension , it causes varices . Now once

> your on treatment u may feel some nausea but ask ur

> doc and he will write a script for something that

> will make u feel better . Good luck sweety , and

> hang in there ...have some tylenol ready also .

> [Hepatitis_C_ Central]

> (unknown)

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi everyone...

> >

> > Just a quick question.

> > Hubby had his first dose of treatment

> on Monday

> > and so

> > far has been doing fairly well. Minus,

> of course,

> > the

> > fact that he said it feels like having

> the flu and

> > a

> > hangover at the same time. His spirits

> have been

> > high

> > though and that's the most important

> thing...

> >

> > This morning though he woke up more

> nauseous this

> > normal and when he spit up, he said it

> was

> > streaked

> > with blood. He said it was like when

> your gums are

> > bleeding, that amount of blood.

> >

> > Of course he is going to the doctor

> today but I

> > wondered if anyone else had a similar

> experience.

> >

> > Thanks---

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Misty

you didnt scare us, we were 'concerned' about your husband,, please keep us updated hon and thank YOU for doing such a great job in helping YOUR HUBBY to complete tx!

hugs

jax> > > Was the spit up from coughing or kinda> vomiting ?> > The differences are hugh , like if its> from the> > lungs it could be a bad sign of> diseases (i.e.> > luncer cancer, tuberculosis , etc)> from the stomach> > could mean esophageal varices . Either> way it is> > something that should be brought to> the doctors> > attention immediately . Just to be on> the safe side> > . Please let us know what the doc says> if he does go> > today . > > [Hepatitis_C_ Central]> (unknown)> > > > > > >

> Hi everyone...> > > > Just a quick question.> > Hubby had his first dose of treatment> on Monday> > and so> > far has been doing fairly well. Minus,> of course,> > the> > fact that he said it feels like having> the flu and> > a> > hangover at the same time. His spirits> have been> > high> > though and that's the most important> thing...> > > > This morning though he woke up more> nauseous this> > normal and when he spit up, he said it> was> > streaked> > with blood. He said it was like when> your gums are> > bleeding, that amount of blood.> > > > Of course he is going to the doctor> today but I> > wondered if anyone else had a similar> experience.> > > >

Thanks---> > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Thank goodness that's all it was . If the nausea continues tell him to ask for Zophran , it works really well for nausea . It blocks the impulse in the brain and he might even be able to eat better on it . xoxo

[Hepatitis_C_ Central]> (unknown)> > > > > > > > Hi everyone...> > > > Just a quick question.> > Hubby had his first dose of treatment> on Monday> > and so> > far has been doing fairly well. Minus,> of course,> > the> > fact that he said it feels like having> the flu and> > a> > hangover at the same time. His spirits> have been> > high> > though and that's the most important> thing...> > > > This morning though he woke up more> nauseous this> > normal and when he spit up, he said it> was> > streaked> > with blood. He said it was like when> your gums are> > bleeding, that amount of blood.> > > > Of course he is going to the doctor> today but I> > wondered if anyone else had a similar> experience.> > > > Thanks---> > > > > > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

hi

This is GREAT news. Good going.

I havent began tx yet, but each success encourages me. Im becomming less and less afraid of failure.

Thank you.

love

don in kansas

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 7:21 PM

I just got back from the liver doctor. My viral load went from 3 million to 2000. He says he is thrilled to see that in 4 weeks. He said I have 20% of my liver working and if I can get rid of the virus I can live a normal life. I am happy that its going well. I am now on 6 medications. .....interferon, riba, procrit, neperin (spelling), zoloff, ambien. I also take milk thistle and a water pill every day.

Guest guest

Relax Bob

Everythings going to be ok. Im sending you good healing energy, and that ought

to knock off a couple of points.

Worry is bad for your system, my old dad says. Its called...dis...ease.

I am here for you my friend.

love

don in kansas

>

> Subject: (unknown)

> To: Hepatitis_C_Central

> Date: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 8:29 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> yeaaaaaa for you. i went for my blood test

> today to check my viral load

>

> and will have the results thursday. i'm a little

> concerned because mine

>

> was 7 million and that's the highest i've seen

> here.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

oh Bob, I've seen ppl have 25-50 million viral load,, dont worry too much, 7 mil is not that high,, honest!

hugs

jax

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 6:29 PM

yeaaaaaa for you. i went for my blood test today to check my viral load and will have the results thursday. i'm a little concerned because mine was 7 million and that's the highest i've seen here.

Guest guest

See Don,, when you're ready to start tx, you wont be so worried about it and just remember that we'll all be here for you to help!

hugs

jax

From: Elder <lsl42003yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.comDate: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 7:21 PM

I just got back from the liver doctor. My viral load went from 3 million to 2000. He says he is thrilled to see that in 4 weeks. He said I have 20% of my liver working and if I can get rid of the virus I can live a normal life. I am happy that its going well. I am now on 6 medications. .....interferon, riba, procrit, neperin (spelling), zoloff, ambien. I also take milk thistle and a water pill every day.

Guest guest

Thats just AWESOME !!!! WHOOOO HOOOOO,,, now keep on doing exactly what you've been doing,,,You should be undetectible very very soon!!!!!!!

hugs

jax

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 5:21 PM

Guest guest

Have hope my friend, I was in the 4 millions and clear at 11 wks. I am geno 1A

and have mild fatty pockets per my biopsy. I was dx'd about 20 years ago, it

was non A non B at the time.

If I can be so lucky anyone can. I have 's in my family tree and we

always follow the law to a " T " . Leave it to me to break the mold.

Sending you big hugs, Bob

Amber

- (unknown)

yeaaaaaa for you. i went for my blood test today to check my viral load

and will have the results thursday. i'm a little concerned because mine

was 7 million and that's the highest i've seen here.

------------------------------------

It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have found the

support you need with us.

If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our group, just click

the link-- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hepatitis_C_Central/

Happy Posting

Guest guest

Wonderful! Hoping for continued success.AmberSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Elder Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:21:53 -0800 (PST)To: <Hepatitis_C_Central >Subject: (unknown) I just got back from the liver doctor. My viral load went from 3 million to 2000. He says he is thrilled to see that in 4 weeks. He said I have 20% of my liver working and if I can get rid of the virus I can live a normal life. I am happy that its going well. I am now on 6 medications......interferon, riba, procrit, neperin (spelling), zoloff, ambien. I also take milk thistle and a water pill every day.

Guest guest

I dont think 7 million is high. I have heard of way higher. Dont worry Bob it will work.

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 6:29 PM

yeaaaaaa for you. i went for my blood test today to check my viral load and will have the results thursday. i'm a little concerned because mine was 7 million and that's the highest i've seen here.

Guest guest

Time for the (patented) Kanga Happy Dance!!!! That's the one where you bounce with joy around the loungeroom, looking like a git, but not caring cause noone can see you....... LOL!

that's a spectacular result. Whatever you're doing, keep on keeping on hon! Fan-friggin-tastic! I'm so thrilled for you....

Luv

anne

You don't have to be handicapped to be different.Everybody's different!Kim Peek

(unknown)

I just got back from the liver doctor. My viral load went from 3 million to 2000. He says he is thrilled to see that in 4 weeks. He said I have 20% of my liver working and if I can get rid of the virus I can live a normal life. I am happy that its going well. I am now on 6 medications......interferon, riba, procrit, neperin (spelling), zoloff, ambien. I also take milk thistle and a water pill every day.

Guest guest

Hi ,

When I saw this, I did a little research and this is what I found just off hand, now IM not saying that this is what is going on, there are many things that can cause this,,even too much aspirin or tylenol can cause the alt/ast to rise high,, so I dont want you tho think that this is it for sure, you need to talk with your doc about this,, ok,, but here's a good place to start!

www.healthatoz.com

Return to Encyclopedia Index L

Definition

Liver function tests, or LFTs, include tests for bilirubin, a breakdown product of hemoglobin, and ammonia, a protein byproduct that is normally converted into urea by the liver before being excreted by the kidneys. LFTs also commonly include tests to measure levels of several enzymes, which are special proteins that help the body break down and use (metabolize) other substances. Enzymes that are often measured in LFTs include gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT); alanine aminotransferase (ALT or SGPT); aspartate aminotransferase (AST or SGOT); and alkaline phosphatase (ALP). LFTs also may include prothrombin time (PT), a measure of how long it takes for the blood to clot.

Purpose

Liver function tests are used to aid in the differential diagnosis of liver disease and injury, and to help monitor response to treatment.

Precautions

Bilirubin: Drugs that may cause increased blood levels of total bilirubin include anabolic steroids, antibiotics, antimalarials, ascorbic acid, Diabinese, codeine, diuretics, epinephrine, oral contraceptives, and vitamin A.

Ammonia: Muscular exertion can increase ammonia levels, while cigarette smoking produces significant increases within one hour of inhalation. Drugs that may cause increased levels include alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics, and diuretics. Drugs that may decrease levels include broad-spectrum antibiotics, levodopa, lactobacillus, and potassium salts.

ALT: Drugs that may increase ALT levels include acetaminophen, ampicillin, codeine, dicumarol, indomethacin, methotrexate, oral contraceptives, tetracyclines, and verapamil. Previous intramuscular injections may cause elevated levels.

GGT: Drugs that may cause increased GGT levels include alcohol, phenytoin, and phenobarbital. Drugs that may cause decreased levels include oral contraceptives.

Description

The liver is one of the most important organs in the body. As the body's "chemical factory," it regulates the levels of most of the main blood chemicals and acts with the kidneys to clear the blood of drugs and toxic substances. The liver metabolizes these products, alters their chemical structure, makes them water soluble, and excretes them in bile.

Liver function tests are used to determine if the liver has been damaged or its function impaired. Elevations of certain liver tests in relation to others aids in that determination. For example, aminotransferases (which include ALT and AST) are notably elevated in liver damage caused by liver cell disease (hepatocellular disease). However, in intrahepatic obstructive disease--which may be caused by some drugs or biliary cirrhosis--the alkaline phosphatases are most abnormal.

Alanine aminotransferase

Alanine aminotransferase (ALT), formerly called serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase, or SGPT, is an enzyme necessary for energy production. It is present in a number of tissues, including the liver, heart, and skeletal muscles, but is found in the highest concentration in the liver. Because of this, it is used in conjunction with other liver enzymes to detect liver disease, especially hepatitis or cirrhosis without jaundice. Additionally, in conjunction with the aspartate aminotransferase test (AST), it helps to distinguish between heart damage and liver tissue damage.

Aspartate aminotransferase

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST), formerly called serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase, or SGOT, is another enzyme necessary for energy production. It, too, may be elevated in liver and heart disease. In liver disease, the AST increase is usually less than the ALT increase. However, in liver disease caused by alcohol use, the AST increase may be two or three times greater than the ALT increase.

Alkaline phosphatase

Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) levels usually include two similar enzymes (isoenzymes) that mainly come from the liver and bone and from the placenta in pregnant women. In some cases, doctors may order a test to differentiate between the alkaline phosphatase that originates in the liver and the alkaline phosphatase originating in bone. If a person has elevated ALP, does not have bone disease and is not pregnant, he or she may have a problem with the biliary tract, the system that makes and stores bile. (Bile is made in the liver, then passes through ducts to the gall bladder, where it is stored.)

Gamma-glutamyl transferase

Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT), sometimes called gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGPT), is an enzyme that is compared with ALP levels to distinguish between skeletal disease and liver disease. Because GGT is not increased in bone disorders, as is ALP, a normal GGT with an elevated ALP would indicate bone disease. Conversely, because the GGT is more specifically related to the liver, an elevated GGT with an elevated ALP would strengthen the diagnosis of liver or bile-duct disease. The GGT has also been used as an indicator of heavy and chronic alcohol use, but its value in these situations has been questioned recently. It is also commonly elevated in patients with infectious mononucleosis.

Bilirubin

Bilirubin, a breakdown product of hemoglobin, is the predominant pigment in a substance produced by the liver called bile. Excess bilirubin causes yellowing of body tissues (jaundice). There are two tests for bilirubin: direct-reacting (conjugated) and indirect-reacting (unconjugated). Differentiating between the two is important diagnostically, as elevated levels of indirect bilirubin are usually caused by liver cell dysfunction (e.g. hepatitis), while elevations of direct bilirubin typically result from obstruction either within the liver (intrahepatic) or a source outside the liver (e.g. gallstones or a tumor blocking the bile ducts). Bilirubin measurements are especially valuable in newborns, as extremely elevated levels of unconjugated bilirubin can accumulate in the brain, causing irreparable damage.

Ammonia

Analysis of blood ammonia aids in the diagnosis of severe liver diseases and helps to monitor the course of these diseases. Together with the AST and the ALT, ammonia levels are used to confirm a diagnosis of Reye's syndrome (a rare disorder usually seen in children and associated with aspirin intake), which is characterized by brain and liver damage following an upper respiratory tract infection, chickenpox, or influenza. Ammonia levels are also helpful in the diagnosis and treatment of hepatic encephalopathy, a serious brain condition caused by the accumulated toxins that result from liver disease and liver failure.

Preparation

Preparation requirements for all these tests vary from laboratory to laboratory, so it is generally considered best that the patient be in a fasting state (nothing to eat or drink) after midnight the day before the test(s).

Aftercare

Because many patients with liver disease have prolonged clotting times, it is important to monitor the puncture site for bleeding after blood is drawn (venipuncture).

Risks

Risks for this test are minimal, but may include slight bleeding from the blood-drawing site, fainting or feeling lightheaded after venipuncture, or hematoma (blood accumulating under the puncture site).

Normal results

Reference ranges vary from laboratory to laboratory and also depend upon the method used. However, normal values can generally be found within the following ranges, unless specified differently.

ALT: 5-35 IU/L (values for the elderly may be slightly higher, and values also may be higher in men and in African-Americans)

AST: 0-35 IU/L

ALP: 30-120 IU/L

GGT: Normal values for this test vary widely, depending on the laboratory performing the test, and the age and sex of the patient. For example, females less than 45 years old have lower values than both males and females over 45 years of age. Values in the newborn can be as much as five times higher than in adults.

Bilirubin: (Adult, elderly, and child) Total bilirubin: 0.1-1.0 mg/dL; indirect bilirubin: 0.2-0.8 mg/dL; direct bilirubin: 0.1-0.3 mg/dL. (Newborn) Total bilirubin: 1-12 mg/dL. Note: critical values for adult: greater than 1.2 mg/dL. Critical values for newborn (requiring immediate treatment): greater than 15 mg/dL.

Ammonia: Normal values for this test vary widely, depending upon the laboratory performing the test, the age of the patient, and the type of specimen. For example, values are somewhat higher in arterial than in venous blood.

PT: 9-12 seconds.

Abnormal results

ALT: Values are significantly increased in cases of hepatitis, and moderately increased in cirrhosis, liver tumor, obstructive jaundice, and severe burns. Values are mildly increased in pancreatitis, heart attack, infectious mononucleosis, and shock. Most useful when compared with ALP levels.

AST: High levels may indicate liver cell damage, hepatitis, heart attack, heart failure, or gall stones.

ALP: Elevated levels occur in diseases that impair bile formation (cholestasis). ALP may also be elevated in many other liver disorders, as well as some lung cancers (bronchogenic carcinoma) and Hodgkin's lymphoma. However, elevated ALP levels may also occur in otherwise healthy people, especially among older people.

GGT: Increased levels are diagnostic of hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver tumor or metastasis, as well as injury from drugs toxic to the liver. Although the causes are unclear, GGT levels may increase with alcohol ingestion, heart attack, pancreatitis, infectious mononucleosis, and Reye's syndrome.

Bilirubin: Increased indirect or total bilirubin levels can indicate various serious anemias, including hemolytic disease of the newborn and transfusion reaction. Increased direct bilirubin levels can be diagnostic of bile duct obstruction, gallstones, cirrhosis, or hepatitis. It is important to note that if total bilirubin levels in the newborn reach or exceed critical levels, exchange transfusion is necessary to avoid kernicterus, a condition that causes brain damage.

Ammonia: Increased levels are seen in primary liver cell disease, Reye's syndrome, severe heart failure, hemolytic disease of the newborn, and hepatic encephalopathy.

PT: Elevated in acute liver injury, vitamin K deficiencies, and disorders with impair the absorption of vitamin K, including cholestasis.

Key Terms

Cirrhosis A serious disease of the liver caused by chronic damage to its cells and the eventual formation of scar tissue (fibrosis). The most common symptoms are mild jaundice, fluid collection in the tissues, mental confusion, and vomiting of blood. If left untreated, cirrhosis lead to liver failure and death.

Hemolytic disease of the newborn Also known as erythroblastosis neonatorum, this is a condition in which a newborn's red blood cells are destroyed by antibodies that have crossed the placenta from the mother's blood. (Hemolytic disease begins in the fetus, in whom the disease is called erythroblastosis fetalis). Severe anemia caused by hemolytic disease is treated in the same way as other anemias, but when jaundice appears due to increased bilirubin, the jaundice is treated by exposing the infant to bright lights. In severe cases, exchange transfusion is required or brain damage may result.

Hepatitis An inflammation of the liver, with accompanying liver cell damage or cell death, caused most frequently by viral infection, but also by certain drugs, chemicals, or poisons. May be either acute (of limited duration) or chronic (continuing). Symptoms include jaundice, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, tenderness in the right upper abdomen, aching muscles, and joint pain. In severe cases, liver failure may result.

Hepatic encephalopathy Also called liver encephalopathy or hepatic coma, this is a disorder in which brain function deteriorates because toxic substances, which would normally be removed by the liver, accumulate in the bloodstream due to liver damage or disease. Early symptoms include subtle changes in logical thinking, personality and behavior. As the disorder progresses, signs of drowsiness and confusion increase until eventually the patient loses consciousness and lapses into coma.

Reye's syndrome A rare disorder characterized by brain and liver damage following an upper respiratory tract infection, chickenpox, or influenza, almost entirely confined to children under age 15, and often related to aspirin ingestion for a viral infection. Symptoms include uncontrollable vomiting, often with lethargy, memory loss, disorientation, or delirium. Swelling of the brain may cause seizures, coma, and in severe cases, death.

For Your Information

Resources

Books

Pagana, Kathleen Deska. Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests. St. Louis: Mosby, Inc., 1998.

Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, Published December, 2002 by the Gale Group The Essay Author is Janis O. .

This article was updated on 08-14-2006

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Thursday, January 1, 2009, 8:10 PM

hi again. I just wanted to tell you that I had to go to the hospital again for flu like symptoms and my alt was1809 and my ast 1026. that's like 4 times more than just 2 days ago. any ideas? I'm scared and they still didn't do a viral load. this really sux ya know, not knowing. They just gave me an antibiotic for a sinus infection thtat was causing my dizziness. This time it was vomiting and severe bathroom problems. I've been out of it for 2 days and I'm still so dehydrated it pathetic. Anyhow, you know I value your insight. thanks

Guest guest

Can't remember, my membering is off this morning.

But are you on treatment??

Love

Janet

"There are souls in this world that have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go"

Frederick Faber

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Thursday, January 1, 2009, 10:10 PM

hi again. I just wanted to tell you that I had to go to the hospital again for flu like symptoms and my alt was1809 and my ast 1026. that's like 4 times more than just 2 days ago. any ideas? I'm scared and they still didn't do a viral load. this really sux ya know, not knowing. They just gave me an antibiotic for a sinus infection thtat was causing my dizziness. This time it was vomiting and severe bathroom problems. I've been out of it for 2 days and I'm still so dehydrated it pathetic. Anyhow, you know I value your insight. thanks

Guest guest

Welcome to the group , I am sorry about your diagnosis . But you are treating it while your young which will be a plus for you , your side effects shouldn't be to bad . If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask them .

(unknown)

hi my name is sarah. i just found out that i had hep. c. i'm 27, married. starting treatment in 2 days. a little scared. need to know more info. thank you

Guest guest

Hi ,You have come to a great place. I was dx'd @ 20 yrs ago and started tx in Sept 08. I was terrified, have 5 kids' with special needs so all the side effects of the meds really had me worried. I am 47 and per biopsy minimal fatty pockets but no damage. While I am not thrilled with the meds it is do able. I found for me to listen to my body and not over do it. I really pay for it the next day. Drink lots of water, try to get sleep - I've had to use benadry or I toss and turn, never sleep. I was already on zoloft so we increased the dosage and I am also on xanax for stress. I swear sometimes my head spins and I can foam at the mouth. Found out it is not ME but a side of the Ribavarin.There is many people here who have much knowledge and blazed the trail we are beginning. I do ask my Dr and get his advice but I really value the input from those here who been through what we are experiencing. BTW- I am geno 1A and my VL was over 400 million/6.7 and at 12 wks my VL was less than 50/1.3. I'm still trying to figure out what all that means.Welcome to this group, you will learn a lot about yourself as you go along and the support here is tremendous.Many Blessings...... AmberSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: Neal Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:44:29 -0800 (PST)To: <Hepatitis_C_Central >Subject: (unknown) hi my name is sarah. i just found out that i had hep. c. i'm 27, married. starting treatment in 2 days. a little scared. need to know more info. thank you

Guest guest

you have your whole life ahead of you best to treat now at yr age, ive known i had hep c since my 20's and just treated last year at 43 i was scared and afraid and didnt know what to expect untill i did some poking around and found this group and was guided every step of the way, i aksed a million questions and got answers, i am now undetecable and go by in march to see if still undetecable , gone whatever the phrase is,it will all be fine, there will be alot of appts with the blood lab having yr labs drawn are very imp, and report anything that isnt right with you, nightmares, not sleepng well, sweats, flu symptons,itching are all normal symptons, i have to say treating wasnt as bad as i made it out to be, you can do it, Neal wrote: hi my name is sarah. i just found out that i had hep. c. i'm 27, married. starting treatment in 2 days. a little scared. need to know more info. thank you

Guest guest

RIGHT ON JOYCEANN hon,,,, yes YOU DID IT,, and now you're here giving help and support to others,,, AMEN honey,, that is exactly how this all works and we're so glad you're with us still and doing so well!

hugs

jax

hi my name is sarah. i just found out that i had hep. c. i'm 27, married. starting treatment in 2 days. a little scared. need to know more info. thank you

Guest guest

AMEN AMBER !!! This is EXACTLY why our forum works so well,, we all pitch in and we all welcome others and help them to feel safe and less frightened about having this virus or about having to do treatment. WE ARE FAMILY here!! and you are a great family member Amber!

hugs

jax

Subject: Re: (unknown)To: "Hepatitis _C_Central" <Hepatitis_C_Central >Date: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 4:44 PM

Hi ,You have come to a great place. I was dx'd @ 20 yrs ago and started tx in Sept 08. I was terrified, have 5 kids' with special needs so all the side effects of the meds really had me worried. I am 47 and per biopsy minimal fatty pockets but no damage. While I am not thrilled with the meds it is do able. I found for me to listen to my body and not over do it. I really pay for it the next day. Drink lots of water, try to get sleep - I've had to use benadry or I toss and turn, never sleep. I was already on zoloft so we increased the dosage and I am also on xanax for stress. I swear sometimes my head spins and I can foam at the mouth. Found out it is not ME but a side of the Ribavarin.There is many people here who have much knowledge and blazed the trail we are beginning. I do ask my Dr and get his advice but I really value the input from those here who been through what we are experiencing. BTW- I am geno 1A and my VL was

over 400 million/6.7 and at 12 wks my VL was less than 50/1.3. I'm still trying to figure out what all that means.Welcome to this group, you will learn a lot about yourself as you go along and the support here is tremendous.Many Blessings... ... Amber

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

From: Neal Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:44:29 -0800 (PST)To: <Hepatitis_C_ Central@yahoogro ups.com>Subject: [Hepatitis_C_ Central] (unknown)

Guest guest

Hi

Welcome to the group hon.. We'll try to help you in any way we can.. you've come to the right place... Good luck on your first shot, please remember to take your tylenol 30 min before you do your shot and again 4 hours later,, drink lots and lots of water (half your weight in ounces of water ie: if you weight 150 pounds then drink 75 ounces of water every day), take your riba pills with a small amount of fat and protein 12 hours apart.. and try to keep a positive attitude... I imagined each week my shot killing off virus,, I even bought a stuffed 2 headed dragon and every week I stuck a hatpin in it after each shot, it was a great visual and it helped me to stay positive).. and come here when you need to talk or to unload,, we're here for you!

hugs,

jax

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 10:44 AM

Guest guest

Thank youNoeLaniTo: Hepatitis_C_Central Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 3:44:20 PMSubject: (unknown)

I have not been a member long, I am sory to hear about your loss. As Ja ckie stated there is always a few of out here that need some questions answered that you might be able to help with. Maybe pop in and let us know you are ok. I doo agree maybe they will find a way to kick this DRAGONS BUTT. Once again I am sorry about your loss.

Guest guest

Oh rick, I totally agree with you on that!!!! Well they know what the issue is now,, its CMV so now they have to find a way to treat it without harming him further... but this IS a step in the right direction because before this, they werent sure what they were dealing with,, now they are..

Im glad that you are doing so well too Rick!!!

hugs,

jax

Subject: (unknown)To: Hepatitis_C_Central Date: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 5:59 PM

Happy he's home at least. They got to get to the bottom of this he needs to get back on his feet. This has been a trip for him that one should have to travel, just one more reason they should not wait so long to get people on the list and do the transplant when you still have your health. This waiting till the last just makes their recovery that much harder.Get well fast bud and keep fighting .rich1 year 2 months 25 days