RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Message for Cami Re: Attending College

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Cami,

My suggestion is to try to make friends with your roommate right away, maybe invite her out for coffee, ask her about herself. You know all the things you do to make someone warm up to you. If you are not good at making friends, Google the topic. I’m sure you can get lots of pointers on the Internet. Arm yourself with a description of 4s and some useful websites in case she wants to follow up. Ask her to read the description then tell her your have it. If she seems sympathetic give her a list of your trigger noises and ask her if she would be willing to help you by trying not to make them. Make sure you have good earplugs, an MP3 player loaded with white, pink and brown noise. I’m new to the MP3 player thing but I understand there are different kinds of earbuds i.e. ones that will let in some sound and some that will let in no sound. You will probably want both types. If you are on a limited budget you can make you own noise isolating earbuds. Check this site out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0m_RseMrok. I hope that you get an understanding, considerate roommate which will make all the difference. If the situation turns out to be unbearable, room transfer may be an option. Also, if you have a friend who is sympathetic and is attending the same college you can request her as roommate. Maybe you could even find another 4ser as a roommate. Wouldn’t that be ideal? You might try requesting that when you apply for housing. There just might be someone like you looking for the same.

I’m not sure about the college experience but my daughter is attending university and she has all kinds of resources available to her and it is all free. You may be able to get counselling there at no cost. Be sure to check that out. Higher institutes of learning tend to be inhabited by people who are broad minded (although you may encounter a few who are narrow minded). I’m thinking not so much about students but the profs, councillors, etc.. You should be able to find a sympathetic ear somewhere and if at first you don’t, keep trying.

Another thought is there might be a 4ser goup to join. If not, try to start one yourself. There should be an organization there that can help you set it up.

I went through five years of university in the 60’s and 70’s with no support and I somehow made it.

Hope your experience is a good one.

Lynda