Guest guest

An interesting theory. In my case the misophonia was really early to be created

but gradually got worse over my life, vastly accellerating in severity over the

last decade or so. I am currently male 39 and although I do have a minor case

of hypothyroidism that is being treated with medication, I know of no other

significant endrpcrinological changes (unless they are the normal progression

with age).

Something to account for in your theory is that a lot of people report the

problem getting worse for them with age.

>

> A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic

onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this

link, and value your feedback.

>

> From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world,

control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of

eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as

related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if

so would hormonal therapy produce results?

>

> Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with

later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time?

Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal

change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently

can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

>

> Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help

with this avenue of investigation?

>

> Many thanks,

> Tara

>

> We look forward to your replies.

>

Guest guest

That's definitely an interesting idea, and I know that most people here do

report the onset of their isophonia coinciding with puberty. For me, however,

my sound sensitivity started fully 6 years prior to menarche-- since we don't

know any hard numbers it's entirely possible that I'm just some weird outlier :P

but it's possible that the correlation is a bit exaggerated from the true

numbers. I wish, once again, that we could conduct a proper study of people with

misophonia.

> >

> > A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic

> >

> > From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world,

control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of

> >

> > Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone

with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that

time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal

> >

> > Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and

help with this avenue of investigation?

> >

> > Many thanks,

> > Tara

> >

> > We look forward to your replies.

> >

>

Guest guest

Can you tell me when the misophonia began for you (around what age)?

The fact that it gets worse for many people as they get older is part of the

nature of miso. Like a souffle it rises and spreads, often even beyond the dish

it is cooking in, sometimes making a big mess in the entire oven.

> >

> >

> >

time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal

> >

> >

> > Many thanks,

> > Tara

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Very very interesting theory. While mine was around 8, I had Hypercusis earlier to fluorescent lights. Sent from my iPhone

A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this link, and value your feedback.

From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another "trauma" of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help with this avenue of investigation?

Many thanks,

Tara

We look forward to your replies.

Guest guest

Hedi

I live in Alpine just east of you. If you ever want to share an email chat or some moral support, that would be great!

Ps... do you know ? She is a dancer too. I know there are small circles and everyone knows everyone else... small world, huh?

Alisa

Very very interesting theory. While mine was around 8, I had Hypercusis earlier to fluorescent lights.  Sent from my iPhone

A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this link, and value your feedback.From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help with this avenue of investigation?Many thanks,TaraWe look forward to your replies.

Guest guest

Heidi... sorry about the mispell..

lol

Alisa

Hedi

I live in Alpine just east of you. If you ever want to share an email chat or some moral support, that would be great!

Ps... do you know ? She is a dancer too. I know there are small circles and everyone knows everyone else... small world, huh?

Alisa

Very very interesting theory. While mine was around 8, I had Hypercusis earlier to fluorescent lights.  Sent from my iPhone

A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this link, and value your feedback.From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help with this avenue of investigation?Many thanks,TaraWe look forward to your replies.

Guest guest

As I've said before, my issues didn't start until I was 23. I had a surgery which caused severe vitamin deficiency which led to two neurological conditions in addition to this hyperacusis and misophonia. I still think that (at least in my case) it is neurologically based... I don't think my hormones were/are out of whack and mine didn't start at puberty.

---------------------------------------------------------

♥

" Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before. " -Holley Gerth ♥

Follow my story: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahmaeWish Upon A Hero Cafe Moderator and Fee's Assistant

Of course!  And Adah is your neighbor :-). Talk about a misspell, in my last email my iPhone autocorrect Adah to Arab. LolSent from my iPhone

Hedi

Alisa

Guest guest

Of course! And Adah is your neighbor :-). Talk about a misspell, in my last email my iPhone autocorrect Adah to Arab. LolSent from my iPhone

Hedi

Alisa

Very very interesting theory. While mine was around 8, I had Hypercusis earlier to fluorescent lights. Sent from my iPhone

Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another "trauma" of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

Guest guest

I like the fact that everyone is looking for patterns for Misophonia.  I first became aware of sounds at 7, and it was full on from that point on.  So the puberty thing doesn't seem to work - I was looking at 7 more as the age of reason or awareness for my start, until I knew there were other people who discovered they had Misophonia at later ages.

I'm 47 now and I too wish we could do a full-blown study, assessing every possible variable to determine if there's an obvious pattern.  When I found this group I called my mom who lives on the other side of the country.  She's always considered me intolerant and chided me for being unable to cope.  Now that I have a name for my situation I called her to tell her, and because I'm an evil daughter, I told her that I had found some information online about the condition and that researchers had discovered the cause.  I told her the reason I had misophonia was because she had been smoking and drinking while pregnant with me, and she gasped and said, " Really " ?  I told her the truth and I know it was more than a bit naughty to tease her, but after all of the years of her yelling at me as a child for being so intolerant of others, it was worth it to get back at her even if it was only for a few seconds.  Horrible, I know.

At this point in my life I've been tested and found to be estrogen dominant.  For the last two years I've been using 6% progesterone cream 3 weeks a month and it has made a huge difference in my sleep patterns.  Unfortunately, it hasn't had any side effects that would help the misophonia.  Just today I snapped at some guy in the Hallmark store for sniffling while he was looking at cards.  I don't know how I would manage if I worked in retail - all of those sniffling, snorting, gum chewing customers!  I can feel the rage building up as a write this.

Anyway I'm not sure if that helps at all with the hormone element of your theory, but I do hope like everyone else that we can get some funding for a study.  I would be willing to do anything - blood tests, exams, detailed history, whatever, to contribute to the cause.

Guest guest

Interestingly enough, my neurofeedback practitioner remarked on this too: that

hormonal changes during puberty are likely to trigger misophonia, if he had to

guess. I don't know what to do about the outliers, though: what about people

whose onset was at 7 or 8?

-Kate

>

> I like the fact that everyone is looking for patterns for Misophonia. I

> first became aware of sounds at 7, and it was full on from that point on.

> So the puberty thing doesn't seem to work - I was looking at 7 more as the

> age of reason or awareness for my start, until I knew there were other

> people who discovered they had Misophonia at later ages.

>

> I'm 47 now and I too wish we could do a full-blown study, assessing every

> possible variable to determine if there's an obvious pattern. When I found

> this group I called my mom who lives on the other side of the country.

> She's always considered me intolerant and chided me for being unable to

> cope. Now that I have a name for my situation I called her to tell her,

> and because I'm an evil daughter, I told her that I had found some

> information online about the condition and that researchers had discovered

> the cause. I told her the reason I had misophonia was because she had been

> smoking and drinking while pregnant with me, and she gasped and said,

> " Really " ? I told her the truth and I know it was more than a bit naughty

> to tease her, but after all of the years of her yelling at me as a child

> for being so intolerant of others, it was worth it to get back at her even

> if it was only for a few seconds. Horrible, I know.

>

> At this point in my life I've been tested and found to be estrogen

> dominant. For the last two years I've been using 6% progesterone cream 3

> weeks a month and it has made a huge difference in my sleep patterns.

> Unfortunately, it hasn't had any side effects that would help the

> misophonia. Just today I snapped at some guy in the Hallmark store for

> sniffling while he was looking at cards. I don't know how I would manage

> if I worked in retail - all of those sniffling, snorting, gum chewing

> customers! I can feel the rage building up as a write this.

>

> Anyway I'm not sure if that helps at all with the hormone element of your

> theory, but I do hope like everyone else that we can get some funding for a

> study. I would be willing to do anything - blood tests, exams, detailed

> history, whatever, to contribute to the cause.

>

Guest guest

I'm definitely more sensitive to triggers when it's that time of the month To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:54 AM Subject: Re: Hormonal connection to Misophonia?

An interesting theory. In my case the misophonia was really early to be created but gradually got worse over my life, vastly accellerating in severity over the last decade or so. I am currently male 39 and although I do have a minor case of hypothyroidism that is being treated with medication, I know of no other significant endrpcrinological changes (unless they are the normal progression with age).

Something to account for in your theory is that a lot of people report the problem getting worse for them with age.

>

> A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this link, and value your feedback.

>

> From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

>

> Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another "trauma" of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

>

> Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help with this avenue of investigation?

>

> Many thanks,

> Tara

>

>

Guest guest

Interesting note to meep in mind, people think of puberty for girls when they start their period when in fact it starts much much earlier. Sent from my iPhone

I like the fact that everyone is looking for patterns for Misophonia. I first became aware of sounds at 7, and it was full on from that point on. So the puberty thing doesn't seem to work - I was looking at 7 more as the age of reason or awareness for my start, until I knew there were other people who discovered they had Misophonia at later ages.

I'm 47 now and I too wish we could do a full-blown study, assessing every possible variable to determine if there's an obvious pattern. When I found this group I called my mom who lives on the other side of the country. She's always considered me intolerant and chided me for being unable to cope. Now that I have a name for my situation I called her to tell her, and because I'm an evil daughter, I told her that I had found some information online about the condition and that researchers had discovered the cause. I told her the reason I had misophonia was because she had been smoking and drinking while pregnant with me, and she gasped and said, "Really"? I told her the truth and I know it was more than a bit naughty to tease her, but after all of the years of her yelling at me as a child for being so intolerant of others, it was worth it to get back at her even if it was only for a few seconds. Horrible, I know.

At this point in my life I've been tested and found to be estrogen dominant. For the last two years I've been using 6% progesterone cream 3 weeks a month and it has made a huge difference in my sleep patterns. Unfortunately, it hasn't had any side effects that would help the misophonia. Just today I snapped at some guy in the Hallmark store for sniffling while he was looking at cards. I don't know how I would manage if I worked in retail - all of those sniffling, snorting, gum chewing customers! I can feel the rage building up as a write this.

Anyway I'm not sure if that helps at all with the hormone element of your theory, but I do hope like everyone else that we can get some funding for a study. I would be willing to do anything - blood tests, exams, detailed history, whatever, to contribute to the cause.

Guest guest

May I ask which vitamin(s) you became deficient in? May I ask what damage was

done to what part of you that could not be reversed by re-introduction of

vitamin(s)/

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic

> >> onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring

> >> this link, and value your feedback.

> >>

> >> From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside

> >> world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or

> >> less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the

> >> brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be

> >> looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

> >>

> >> Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone

> >> with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around

> >> that time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a

> >> hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response,

> >> and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of

> >> P.M.T ).

> >>

> >> Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and

> >> help with this avenue of investigation?

> >>

> >> Many thanks,

> >> Tara

> >>

> >> We look forward to your replies.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

B12 and D... but they said the B12 is what did the most damage.I now have Peripheral neuropathy that can't be reversed... will have this severe pain and burning and numbness forever... also have POTS--postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (a problem with my nervous system not regulating things properly.. so my blood pressure, heart rate, body temperature and other things are all out of whack.. I have fevers every day and the blood pools down in my legs and feet, turning them purple (black if I stand long enough))

---------------------------------------------------------

♥

" Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before. " -Holley Gerth ♥

Follow my story: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahmaeWish Upon A Hero Cafe Moderator and Fee's Assistant

May I ask which vitamin(s) you became deficient in? May I ask what damage was done to what part of you that could not be reversed by re-introduction of vitamin(s)/

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic

> >> onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring

> >> this link, and value your feedback.

> >>

> >> From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside

> >> world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or

> >> less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the

> >> brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be

> >> looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

> >>

> >> Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone

> >> with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around

> >> that time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a

> >> hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response,

> >> and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of

> >> P.M.T ).

> >>

> >> Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and

> >> help with this avenue of investigation?

> >>

> >> Many thanks,

> >> Tara

> >>

> >> We look forward to your replies.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I am definitely more sensitive to triggers when it's that time of the month too!Sent from my iPad

I'm definitely more sensitive to triggers when it's that time of the month To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 8:54 AM Subject: Re: Hormonal connection to Misophonia?

An interesting theory. In my case the misophonia was really early to be created but gradually got worse over my life, vastly accellerating in severity over the last decade or so. I am currently male 39 and although I do have a minor case of hypothyroidism that is being treated with medication, I know of no other significant endrpcrinological changes (unless they are the normal progression with age).

Something to account for in your theory is that a lot of people report the problem getting worse for them with age.

>

> A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this link, and value your feedback.

>

> From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

>

> Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another "trauma" of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

>

> Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help with this avenue of investigation?

>

> Many thanks,

> Tara

>

>

=

Guest guest

I have noted this in my own observations since the mid 90s. Tara, also I tried

to call you probably around midnight your time, lol.

Try again this week, I guess.

Dr. J

>

>

>

>

> Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help

>

> Many thanks,

> Tara

>

>

Guest guest

Dr. J,

If traumatic events can cause hormonal changes in children, then there may be a

connection for me. My SPD symptoms first appeared at age 7 when there were

several life altering events. My SPD symptoms stayed the same until menopause,

at which time my trigger list grew and has been growing ever since.

I've been on hormone replacement therapy for about 9 years now. I've tried

almost every kind on the market including bioidentical hormones, but nothing

improved my sensory condition. Before I started HRT my coping abilities

diminished terribly. Those little pills took away what I call " the crazies " . I'm

afraid to get off HRT for fear that I would lose what little coping abilities I

have, and my sensory issues would drive me over the edge.

For what its worth, the OT's I did therapy with said that hormonal changes

definitely affect sensory disorders. But I think hormones affect everything.

Hope this information sheds some light on the subject.

Colleen

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Many thanks,

> > Tara

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I don't have any scientific proof of hormones being a direct link, but I can

tell you when I am getting ready for my menstrual cycle or pregnant, I am much

less tolerant. I have also noticed in myself that when I am stressed out or

very tired I am much less tolerant...really zero tolerance. There are some

things, like gum chomping and smacking that I have little to no patience for

anyway, but it gets worse under the conditions mentioned above.

I hope that info helps you a little. :)

>

>

>

>

>

> Many thanks,

> Tara

>

>

Guest guest

I recently found this group and am gratified that there is a name to what I have

been suffering for years. I don't think it started when I was a teen, though I

have always been sensitive to sound. I also have had car sickness since I was a

child. As an adult I have benign positional vertigo, and what I now know to be

mysophonia and hyperacusis. Essentially all inner ear problems, the cause of

which is unknown. " Idiopathic " in the medical world. Could have been a virus

at some point. No one else in my family has it to the best of my knowledge.

With regard to hormones – I noticed a marked increase in my intolerance to loud

sounds after the birth of my first (only) child in 2006. A HUGE difference.

Trucks, trains, busses, breaks, groups talking loudly, you name it. Sounds for

which I earlier had very good tolerance – hence the hyperacusis. I also had a

serious bout of post-partum depression, which is a hormonal nightmare. As for

mysophonia, I have had the gum chewing aversion for years, hearing others type

on their computers, and various visual triggers including foot/leg/finger

tapping/swinging, seeing someone chew gum, etc. These have all gotten horribly

worse since my child was born. Obviously I have been more stressed as well

(solo parent), so it could be a combo of new post-partum hormone levels and

stress.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had an increase/change in their

4S/hyperacusis symptoms after giving birth. Post-partum 4S/hyperacusis, if you

will.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Many thanks,

> > Tara

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I also have no " science " to base this on but I do remember Miso getting worse

during that time of month. Going through peri-menopause was hell and now that I

am officially " old " , Miso just is really bad. I do not have to go to an office

each day and my external stressors are at a minimum. Miso still really sucks

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Many thanks,

> > Tara

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

In response to " asignanoff " 's post, I don't know if there is science behind it either but I have certainly always suspected hormones to play a huge part in the level of sensitivity that I have.  Hormones and lack of sleep are the biggest triggers for me.  I am 36 and was hoping that once I made it through menopause later in my life that it would alleviate some of the issues with misophonia.  Have you found " new " triggers to be agitating or simply the previous ones to be heightened to a greater degree?   

I also have no " science " to base this on but I do remember Miso getting worse during that time of month. Going through peri-menopause was hell and now that I am officially " old " , Miso just is really bad. I do not have to go to an office each day and my external stressors are at a minimum. Miso still really sucks

> >

> > A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this link, and value your feedback.

> >

> > From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

> >

> > Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

> >

> > Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help with this avenue of investigation?

> >

> > Many thanks,

> > Tara

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Regarding the hormonal connection:

I went through menopause over ten years ago. I can say without a doubt that my

hormones played a huge part in the worsening of Miso and SPD (which I believe

are connected). My symptoms, which began at age 7, had been stable up to

menopause.

It was not so much the intensity of my symptoms that changed as did my coping

abilities and the unleashing of sensitivity to many new triggers. Hormone

replacement helped my coping skills a great deal, but it did not stop my list of

triggers from growing. I went from a short manageable list to a very long list

that grew one by one over the years and seems to be unstoppable despite many

attempts at " traditional " OT therapy to brainwave therapy, neuromodulation,

drugs...you name it, I tried it.

I don't want to be the grim reaper of Miso and Meno, but I might be typical of

what's to come for you younger women. I HOPE NOT!!! I hope to almighty God that

someone comes up with a viable treatment. If I stumble across it, I'll scream it

from the mountain tops. Despite the many failures at treatment, I'm still

looking and trying.

If there is anyone out there who can tell a hopeful story, I'd love to hear it.

My best wishes to all of you.

Colleen

> > > >

> > > > A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of

> > misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in

> > exploring this link, and value your feedback.

> > > >

> > > > From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside

> > world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or

> > less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the

> > brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be

> > looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

> > > >

> > > > Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether

> > anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances

> > around that time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked

> > off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight

> > response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the

> > effects of P.M.T ).

> > > >

> > > > Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment

> > and help with this avenue of investigation?

> > > >

> > > > Many thanks,

> > > > Tara

> > > >

> > > > We look forward to your replies.

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi there. I needed to think a bit and check with TBHITW (the best husband in

the world) before I answered . . .

The sensitivity to sounds prior to menopause didn't necessarily get " worse "

because I'm already pretty high up there on the MAS.

I do find that I am mush much quicker to become reactive to new triggers.

Please don't let this get you down. I am promising you now that I am doing

everything I can to help find a cure before I die. And that should be before

you hit menopause!!!!

Hang in there. We are SO much further ahead than we were just a year ago.

>

> In response to " asignanoff " 's post, I don't know if there is science behind

> it either but I have certainly always suspected hormones to play a huge

> part in the level of sensitivity that I have. Hormones and lack of sleep

> are the biggest triggers for me. I am 36 and was hoping that once I made

> it through menopause later in my life that it would alleviate some of the

> issues with misophonia. Have you found " new " triggers to be agitating or

> simply the previous ones to be heightened to a greater degree?

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks for these very significant observations.

It has long been known that otosclerosis (stapedial fixation) is often

triggered by childbirth. See Darwin Letter 7731, which also refers to a dog

which was disturbed by B Flat on a flute. Wilde (1853) says " Many females have

become deaf immediately after parturition. In such cases I have generally

observed a speckled opacity of the [tympanic] membrane " . So clearly there is

something odd going on in the inner and/or middle ears.

I have also looked in detail at the literature on post-partum depression,

concluding that formulating this as due to stress or hormone disturbance has not

helped understand its mechanism. Likewise, with the common problem of nausea and

vomiting in pregnancy (morning sickness), which is clearly allied to motion

sickness.

There is in fact a simple common mechanism for these disorders, a sudden

loss of body weight, leading to disturbance of water balance and a drop of inner

ear pressure. This in turn leads to Meniere Spectrum Disorder, with many

psychologically distressing symptoms, including audiosensitivity. For evidence

that MSD occurs in early pregnancy, see J Lar Otol 2001;115:617.

There has been enormous hostility on this site to the idea that ear

disorders can lead to misophonia, so it would be helpful if you could elaborate

on how you think something that can start out as a purely peripheral

auditory/vestibular problem can end up involving other senses and emotional

circuits in the brain.

> > >

> > > A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic

> > >

> > > From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside

world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less

capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and

hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for

answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

> > >

> > > Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone

> > >

> > > Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and

> > >

> > > Many thanks,

> > > Tara

> > >

> > > We look forward to your replies.

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks for the positivity.  I do fear an increase as the age for peri-menopause encroaches.  Oh the joy of being a woman!  :)   Thankfully I am not on the extreme end of sensitivity for misophonia but at certain times, i.e. phases of my cycle, I am very close to it.  I am thankful for this group and the knowledge that I am not crazy.  

Thanks for these very significant observations.

It has long been known that otosclerosis (stapedial fixation) is often triggered by childbirth. See Darwin Letter 7731, which also refers to a dog which was disturbed by B Flat on a flute. Wilde (1853) says " Many females have become deaf immediately after parturition. In such cases I have generally observed a speckled opacity of the [tympanic] membrane " . So clearly there is something odd going on in the inner and/or middle ears.

I have also looked in detail at the literature on post-partum depression, concluding that formulating this as due to stress or hormone disturbance has not helped understand its mechanism. Likewise, with the common problem of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy (morning sickness), which is clearly allied to motion sickness.

There is in fact a simple common mechanism for these disorders, a sudden loss of body weight, leading to disturbance of water balance and a drop of inner ear pressure. This in turn leads to Meniere Spectrum Disorder, with many psychologically distressing symptoms, including audiosensitivity. For evidence that MSD occurs in early pregnancy, see J Lar Otol 2001;115:617.

There has been enormous hostility on this site to the idea that ear disorders can lead to misophonia, so it would be helpful if you could elaborate on how you think something that can start out as a purely peripheral auditory/vestibular problem can end up involving other senses and emotional circuits in the brain.

> > >

> > > A colleague of mine has remarked on the coincidental timing of misophonic onset with hormonal changes and imbalances. We are interested in exploring this link, and value your feedback.

> > >

> > > From what we have read, hormones modulate sensitivity to the outside world, control aspects of the brain and make certain tendencies more or less capable of eliciting behaviour. What is the interplay between the brain and hormones as related to misophonia? Is this where we should be looking for answers? And if so would hormonal therapy produce results?

> > >

> > > Puberty is quite obviously in the equation, but we wonder whether anyone with later onset misophonia can recall hormonal changes/imbalances around that time? Or perhaps another " trauma " of sorts that may have kicked off a hormonal change? Hormones play a major role in the fight/flight response, and apparently can produce rage as well ( just consider the effects of P.M.T ).

> > >

> > > Anyone out there have a better knowledge of all this, and can comment and help with this avenue of investigation?

> > >

> > > Many thanks,

> > > Tara

> > >

> > > We look forward to your replies.

> > >

> >

>