RemedySpot.com

diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In our house junk food was a special occasion thing, but not really because it was healthier but because it was cheaper. I remember being able to eat all the apples, carrots and oranges (and bread) I wanted. And in season fruit was shared equally. Out of season fruit was rare. When I was growing up fresh fruits and vegetables were cheaper than junk food. And we always had a selection of frozen vegetables to eat as well. Meals contained lots of starch (rice, bread, potatoes) and vegetables and a little bit of meat. Although it was mostly for economical reasons, I learned about balanced meals and how to make balanced meals (when we started cooking dinners forgetting a vegetable was Not Done) I think most of the lower middle class ate that way in the 80’s (when I was growing up) As I grew older we moved into middle class fully and then had more junk food available but I just didn’t want it. We did used to eat white bread which I can’t even imagine eating now. I have cravings for grilled cheese sandwiches which were a sort of comfort food when I was growing up. And soup too for the same reason. And in season fruit and vegetables. And as a teen I knew that fatty food would make me fat – I didn’t lose the last of my “baby fat” until I was 18. And once on my own I realized fresh fruits, vegetables, starches and beans were cheaper than meat. Ah ha a savings in the budget and healthy too. Only as I had my own kids have I started to think this is healthy this isn’t and mostly because my son can’t take artificial flavors or colors or he acts autistic. But because we ate mostly healthy growing up, these are the things that taste good to me (I have a friend who had the opposite reaction – ate the same as me growing up now can’t get enough of chips and chocolate).

I do like hot tea but most of the time I sip liquid. For example I will take 1 sip of whatever drink is in the fridge and put it back. I rarely drink a whole cup of anything so a cup of hot tea gets wasted, plus I’m lazy – too much work to make tea. I love herbal teas though. I tend to have a cup in the evening or morning while I read my email. I think I should make a pot of tea and put it in the fridge. I used to do that when I was nursing. I bought loose herbs and would mix them or just have a single one according to what I felt like. The right sort of herbal tea helps the milk. I have to make it easy though because life is so busy.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for sending the message back to the list without a reply. I had it ready to reply to, went and exercised then accidentally hit send without replying.

That is so good that junk food wasn't an every day occurrence while growing up. It is terrible now that junk food is so readily available. I grew up in a house that had potato chips and baked goodies available. Mom was a good baker, and I enjoy baking as well, and eating it; unfortunately, especially cookies, but I haven't baked those for a long time. I do love chocolate, especially dark and crave potato chips every once in a while. My Mom always had meat, a starch and veggies at supper time, we do in our house too. I didn't really think about fatty food and how it would make me fat until I was married. I was always a skinny kid, with big hips, LOL! I could watch what I eat for a week or so and go back to my ideal weight. That changes after you hit your 30's. I find it interesting that your friend who ate the same way you did can't get enough chips and chocolate. Good for you for watching what your children eat. I know my girls have always liked broccoli and raw veggies and dip. I used to have a plate full of raw veggies and/or salad with every meal. I'll have to get back to doing that again.

I sip hot tea as well, that's why I make my water really hot, DH complains, but oh well. Sometimes by the time I get to the last quarter of a cup it's a little cold, but that's Ok. Have you heard of sun tea? you put water and tea bags into a pitcher and sit it in the sun to brew. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting.

Have a great busy day,

Kerry

In our house junk food was a special occasion thing, but not really because it was healthier but because it was cheaper. I remember being able to eat all the apples, carrots and oranges (and bread) I wanted. And in season fruit was shared equally. Out of season fruit was rare. When I was growing up fresh fruits and vegetables were cheaper than junk food. And we always had a selection of frozen vegetables to eat as well. Meals contained lots of starch (rice, bread, potatoes) and vegetables and a little bit of meat. Although it was mostly for economical reasons, I learned about balanced meals and how to make balanced meals (when we started cooking dinners forgetting a vegetable was Not Done) I think most of the lower middle class ate that way in the 80’s (when I was growing up) As I grew older we moved into middle class fully and then had more junk food available but I just didn’t want it. We did used to eat white bread which I can’t even imagine eating now. I have cravings for grilled cheese sandwiches which were a sort of comfort food when I was growing up. And soup too for the same reason. And in season fruit and vegetables. And as a teen I knew that fatty food would make me fat – I didn’t lose the last of my “baby fat” until I was 18. And once on my own I realized fresh fruits, vegetables, starches and beans were cheaper than meat. Ah ha a savings in the budget and healthy too. Only as I had my own kids have I started to think this is healthy this isn’t and mostly because my son can’t take artificial flavors or colors or he acts autistic. But because we ate mostly healthy growing up, these are the things that taste good to me (I have a friend who had the opposite reaction – ate the same as me growing up now can’t get enough of chips and chocolate).

I do like hot tea but most of the time I sip liquid. For example I will take 1 sip of whatever drink is in the fridge and put it back. I rarely drink a whole cup of anything so a cup of hot tea gets wasted, plus I’m lazy – too much work to make tea. I love herbal teas though. I tend to have a cup in the evening or morning while I read my email. I think I should make a pot of tea and put it in the fridge. I used to do that when I was nursing. I bought loose herbs and would mix them or just have a single one according to what I felt like. The right sort of herbal tea helps the milk. I have to make it easy though because life is so busy.

go to www.fixourfood.com. It is more than a diet. It teaches you to understand

how to eat to strengthen your immune system and stay healthy. and It is FREE as

a pdf download. First go through all the illustrations and read them first,

then go back to read the text of the book when you have time. Pass it on.

marija claster <claster@...> wrote:

does anyone suffering from this terrible ailment have a good diet that can be

shared.

I just read that if you have MCS that a low carb diet is bad for you and you

should not loose weight. No wonder I am really weak and sick now.

sylvia ledoux <ledouxrama@...> wrote: go to www.fixourfood.com.

It is more than a diet. It teaches you to understand how to eat to strengthen

your immune system and stay healthy. and It is FREE as a pdf download. First go

through all the illustrations and read them first, then go back to read the text

of the book when you have time. Pass it on.

marija claster <claster@...> wrote: does anyone suffering from this

terrible ailment have a good diet that can be shared.

Sorry,

What's MCS?

On 9/11/06, Leigh McCall-Alton <mccallalton@...> wrote:

>

> I just read that if you have MCS that a low carb diet is bad for you and

> you should not loose weight. No wonder I am really weak and sick now.

>

> sylvia ledoux <ledouxrama@...> wrote: go to

> www.fixourfood.com. It is more than a diet. It teaches you to understand

> how to eat to strengthen your immune system and stay healthy. and It is FREE

> as a pdf download. First go through all the illustrations and read them

> first, then go back to read the text of the book when you have time. Pass it

> on.

>

> marija claster <claster@...> wrote: does anyone suffering from

> this terrible ailment have a good diet that can be shared.

>

>

I do not believe in a low carb diet either. I eat rice, potatoes, barley,

beans, corn and corn chips, cane sugar and occasionally bread, especially

mulitgrain. my meals are balanced with protein and lipids and lots of

antimicrobial phytochemicals from plants. Onions, garlic, herbs and berries. I

eliminated dairy and High Fructose Corn Syrup and that has made all the

difference.

Leigh McCall-Alton <mccallalton@...> wrote:

through all the illustrations and read them first, then go back to read the text

Leigh, what is MCS?

_____

Behalf Of Leigh McCall-Alton

Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 3:16 PM

candidiasis

Subject: Re: diet

sylvia ledoux <ledouxrama (DOT) <mailto:ledouxrama%40> com> wrote:

go to www.fixourfood.com. It is more than a diet. It teaches you to

understand how to eat to strengthen your immune system and stay healthy. and

It is FREE as a pdf download. First go through all the illustrations and

read them first, then go back to read the text of the book when you have

time. Pass it on.

marija claster <clasterntlworld (DOT) <mailto:claster%40ntlworld.com> com>

wrote: does anyone suffering from this terrible ailment have a good diet

that can be shared.

multiple chemical sensitivity

Patti Cassalia <pcassalia@...> wrote: Leigh, what is MCS?

_____

Behalf Of Leigh McCall-Alton

Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 3:16 PM

candidiasis

Subject: Re: diet

sylvia ledoux <ledouxrama (DOT) <mailto:ledouxrama%40> com> wrote:

understand how to eat to strengthen your immune system and stay healthy. and

It is FREE as a pdf download. First go through all the illustrations and

read them first, then go back to read the text of the book when you have

time. Pass it on.

marija claster <clasterntlworld (DOT) <mailto:claster%40ntlworld.com> com>

wrote: does anyone suffering from this terrible ailment have a good diet

that can be shared.

Kerry, my Grandma (Gram) used to make sun tea every summer. And yes it is GOOD! It takes like regular ice tea after the tea is done and ice is added to your glass of tea Gram drank lots of tea (hot and cold) and lots of water... she lived to be 99 and 5 months so I guess she did something right! JenKerry Kramer <kerrykramer@...> wrote: Hi everyone, Sorry for sending the message back to the list without a reply. I had it ready to reply to, went and exercised then accidentally hit send without replying. , That is so good that junk food wasn't an every day occurrence while growing up. It is terrible now that junk food is so readily available. I grew up in a house that had potato chips and baked goodies available. Mom was a good baker, and I enjoy baking as well, and eating it; unfortunately, especially cookies, but I haven't baked those for a long time. I do love chocolate, especially dark and crave potato chips every

once in a while. My Mom always had meat, a starch and veggies at supper time, we do in our house too. I didn't really think about fatty food and how it would make me fat until I was married. I was always a skinny kid, with big hips, LOL! I could watch what I eat for a week or so and go back to my ideal weight. That changes after you hit your 30's. I find it interesting that your friend who ate the same way you did can't get enough chips and chocolate. Good for you for watching what your children eat. I know my girls have always liked broccoli and raw veggies and dip. I used to have a plate full of raw veggies and/or salad with every meal. I'll have to get back to doing that again. I sip hot tea as well, that's why I make my water really hot, DH complains, but oh well. Sometimes by the time I get to the last quarter of a cup it's a little cold, but

that's Ok. Have you heard of sun tea? you put water and tea bags into a pitcher and sit it in the sun to brew. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting. Have a great busy day, Kerry In our house junk food was a special occasion thing, but not really because it was healthier but because it was cheaper. I remember being able to eat all the apples, carrots and oranges (and bread) I wanted. And in season fruit was shared equally. Out of season fruit was rare. When I was growing up fresh fruits and vegetables were cheaper than junk food. And we

always had a selection of frozen vegetables to eat as well. Meals contained lots of starch (rice, bread, potatoes) and vegetables and a little bit of meat. Although it was mostly for economical reasons, I learned about balanced meals and how to make balanced meals (when we started cooking dinners forgetting a vegetable was Not Done) I think most of the lower middle class ate that way in the 80’s (when I was growing up) As I grew older we moved into middle class fully and then had more junk food available but I just didn’t want it. We did used to eat white bread which I can’t even imagine eating now. I have cravings for grilled cheese sandwiches which were a sort of comfort food when I was growing up. And soup too for the same reason. And in season fruit and vegetables. And as a teen I knew that fatty food would make me fat – I didn’t lose the last of my “baby fat” until I was 18. And once on my own I realized fresh fruits, vegetables, starches and beans were cheaper

than meat. Ah ha a savings in the budget and healthy too. Only as I had my own kids have I started to think this is healthy this isn’t and mostly because my son can’t take artificial flavors or colors or he acts autistic. But because we ate mostly healthy growing up, these are the things that taste good to me (I have a friend who had the opposite reaction – ate the same as me growing up now can’t get enough of chips and chocolate). I do like hot tea but most of the time I sip liquid. For example I will take 1 sip of whatever drink is in the fridge and put it back. I rarely drink a whole cup of anything so a cup of hot tea gets wasted, plus I’m lazy – too much work to make tea. I love herbal teas though. I tend to have a cup in the evening or morning while I read my email. I think I should make a pot of tea and

put it in the fridge. I used to do that when I was nursing. I bought loose herbs and would mix them or just have a single one according to what I felt like. The right sort of herbal tea helps the milk. I have to make it easy though because life is so busy.

Oh Kerry, I forgot to ask you, do you like green tea? That is good and good for you, JenKerry Kramer <kerrykramer@...> wrote: Hi everyone, Sorry for

sending the message back to the list without a reply. I had it ready to reply to, went and exercised then accidentally hit send without replying. , That is so good that junk food wasn't an every day occurrence while growing up. It is terrible now that junk food is so readily available. I grew up in a house that had potato chips and baked goodies available. Mom was a good baker, and I enjoy baking as well, and eating it; unfortunately, especially cookies, but I haven't baked those for a long time. I do love chocolate, especially dark and crave potato chips every once in a while. My Mom always had meat, a starch and veggies at supper time, we do in our house too. I didn't really think about fatty food and how it would make me fat until I was married. I was always a skinny kid, with big hips, LOL! I could watch what

I eat for a week or so and go back to my ideal weight. That changes after you hit your 30's. I find it interesting that your friend who ate the same way you did can't get enough chips and chocolate. Good for you for watching what your children eat. I know my girls have always liked broccoli and raw veggies and dip. I used to have a plate full of raw veggies and/or salad with every meal. I'll have to get back to doing that again. I sip hot tea as well, that's why I make my water really hot, DH complains, but oh well. Sometimes by the time I get to the last quarter of a cup it's a little cold, but that's Ok. Have you heard of sun tea? you put water and tea bags into a pitcher and sit it in the sun to brew. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting. Have a great busy day, Kerry In our house junk food was a special occasion thing, but not really because it was healthier but because it was cheaper. I remember being able to eat all the apples, carrots and oranges (and bread) I wanted. And in season fruit was shared equally. Out of season fruit was rare. When I was growing up fresh fruits and vegetables were cheaper than junk food. And we always had a selection of frozen vegetables to eat as well. Meals contained lots of starch (rice, bread, potatoes) and vegetables and a little bit of meat. Although it was mostly for economical reasons, I learned about balanced meals and how to make balanced meals (when we started

cooking dinners forgetting a vegetable was Not Done) I think most of the lower middle class ate that way in the 80’s (when I was growing up) As I grew older we moved into middle class fully and then had more junk food available but I just didn’t want it. We did used to eat white bread which I can’t even imagine eating now. I have cravings for grilled cheese sandwiches which were a sort of comfort food when I was growing up. And soup too for the same reason. And in season fruit and vegetables. And as a teen I knew that fatty food would make me fat – I didn’t lose the last of my “baby fat” until I was 18. And once on my own I realized fresh fruits, vegetables, starches and beans were cheaper than meat. Ah ha a savings in the budget and healthy too. Only as I had my own kids have I started to think this is healthy this isn’t and mostly because my son can’t take artificial flavors or colors or he acts autistic. But because we ate mostly healthy growing up, these

are the things that taste good to me (I have a friend who had the opposite reaction – ate the same as me growing up now can’t get enough of chips and chocolate). I do like hot tea but most of the time I sip liquid. For example I will take 1 sip of whatever drink is in the fridge and put it back. I rarely drink a whole cup of anything so a cup of hot tea gets wasted, plus I’m lazy – too much work to make tea. I love herbal teas though. I tend to have a cup in the evening or morning while I read my email. I think I should make a pot of tea and put it in the fridge. I used to do that when I was nursing. I bought loose herbs and would mix them or just have a single one according to what I felt like. The right sort of herbal tea helps the milk. I have to make it easy though because life is so busy.

The book, while interesting, is NOT the be all and end all, especially

as it doesn't talk about candida at all.

Please stop posting the link over and over again.

Keen

Re: diet

understand how to eat to strengthen your immune system and stay healthy.

and It is FREE as a pdf download. First go through all the

illustrations and read them first, then go back to read the text of the

book when you have time. Pass it on.

marija claster <claster@...> wrote:

does anyone suffering from this terrible ailment have a good diet that

can be shared.

If you are eating cane sugar, you are feeding candida with every single drop.

I don't subscribe to the low carb diet either, we eat brown rice daily and

potatoes now and again. I follow the diet from The Yeast Syndrome (the book is

available only through Amazon, not on-line). So far, it has worked well for us.

Keen

I do not believe in a low carb diet either. I eat rice, potatoes, barley,

beans, corn and corn chips, cane sugar and occasionally bread, especially

mulitgrain. my meals are balanced with protein and lipids and lots of

antimicrobial phytochemicals from plants. Onions, garlic, herbs and berries. I

eliminated dairy and High Fructose Corn Syrup and that has made all the

difference.

Leigh McCall-Alton <mccallalton@...> wrote:

I agree; a low carb diet is bad whether you have MCS or not, but

nobody on this list has advocated a low carb diet.

This approach cuts out only a few problem foods, and all of the

poor quality food that was adding more than 80% or so empty

calories to your diet anyway, to remove the biggest contributors

to dysbiosis. The resulting nutritionally-dense diet is close to

what we evolved on and what our bowel ecology evolved on, and it

an adequate carbohydrate diet, not low-carb.

You'll have better control over your weight as you pointed out;

in fact such a lifestyle has a good chance of automatically

maintaining you at optimum weight unless you deliberately eat

more of it, and doing so packs even more nutritionally-dense food

and beneficial fiber into your diet.

Bear in mind if you want to gain weight that it takes protein to

build muscle tone, not carbohydrates. A low protein diet builds

people who are either obese or emaciated; in either case there's

not much muscle tone.

If you do incorporate more carbs to gain " weight " back, bear in

mind that the weight will be stored as fat. Also bear in mind

that a couple of ounces of carbohydrates reduces immune response

by up to 50% for around five hours. The insulin rise in response

to carb dosing reduces growth hormone, thus growth of lean tissue

is suspended and fat storage occurs instead. I haven't

encountered many people who wanted to go this route; most go the

body building route and make sure they get adequate nutrient-

dense protein so they can build quality, nutrient-dense tissue.

To do that they use more eggs, undenatured whey and other animal

protein.

To answer the question about what is a carb, think about it this

way: if it comes from a seed, it's mainly carbohydrate. A seed is

a method of carb storage with just enough trace elements to make

a sprout, and it doesn't take much. Further, most of our seed

products have had much of that nutrient and vitamin value

stripped off, thus the name " empty calories " .

Also, if it's sweet or if its starchy it's a carb, and here the

proportion of carb to food value varies. Several but not many

vegetables fall into a group of starchy foods; there are many,

much more nutrient dense vegetables to choose from that are not

starchy.

Anyway, the point is that eliminating a few new-fangled foods,

most of which didn't exist in our diets at all until recent

history, is not " low carbing " ; doing so supplies adequate carbs,

and it's not much of a lifestyle change really once you get the

hang of it because you eat more if anything, not less.

Bon appetit.

Duncan Crow

On 12 Sep 2006 at 10:46, candidiasis wrote:

>

> Posted by: " Leigh McCall-Alton " mccallalton@... mccallalton

> Date: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:16 pm (PDT)

>

> I just read that if you have MCS that a low carb diet is bad for you

> and you should not loose weight. No wonder I am really weak and sick

> now.

Sylvia, your high-carbohydrate approach goes against most health

professionals' dietary advice even for healthy people, let alone

for people with dysbiosis and candida. I don't even eat all those

carbs and I don't have candida.

Have you ever had candida?

Is this diet what you recommend in your book too? I couldn't

download a copy from your site as it timed out :(

Duncan Crow

> Posted by: " sylvia ledoux " ledouxrama@... ledouxrama

> Date: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:56 pm (PDT)

>

> I do not believe in a low carb diet either. I eat rice, potatoes,

> barley, beans, corn and corn chips, cane sugar and occasionally bread,

> especially mulitgrain. my meals are balanced with protein and lipids

> and lots of antimicrobial phytochemicals from plants. Onions, garlic,

> herbs and berries. I eliminated dairy and High Fructose Corn Syrup

> and that has made all the difference.

>

Hi Jen,

I'll have to try making it then. Yes, I guess she did do something right! Good for her.

Thank you so much for letting me know this. I'm certainly going to give this a try.

Kerry

Kerry, my Grandma (Gram) used to make sun tea every summer. And yes it is GOOD! It takes like regular ice tea after the tea is done and ice is added to your glass of tea

Gram drank lots of tea (hot and cold) and lots of water... she lived to be 99 and 5 months so I guess she did something right!

Jen

Yes, I do Jen. I usually try to have a cup every morning, but drink regular tea and caffeine free teas.

Green tea is so good for you.

Kerry

Oh Kerry, I forgot to ask you, do you like green tea?

That is good and good for you,

Jen

We found some Arizona Diet tea on sale and bought a couple cases. 84

oz bottles were 88c and now are $1.88. 0 calories and Splenda for a

sweetener. I'm afraid of aspartame and high fructose corn sugar is

getting a bad rap.

Also substituting soy products wherever I can. The Silk vanilla milk

tastes pretty good on cereal and as a drink.

vans

Soy is a problem for my son. The protein is very similar to casein.

I have also heard a controversy about soy and boys - it is high in plant

estrogens and *may* contribute to hormone problems, esp. if large quantities

are consumed from an early age.

Kristy

Some kids do not react well to rice milk if made from brown rice

And now a friend told me soy could be a problem for boys anybody hear

of this?

Thanks

> Any opinions on food allergies? Our daughter shows

positive reaction on the

> elisa blood test to many foods. I really don't see a change in her

whether

> she eats the foods or doesn't. Is this test that reliable? We

definately

> noticed behavior improvements 5 years ago when we started GFCF. Now

she seems to

> be able to tolerate both in moderation. How do you determine for

sure if kids

> shouldn't have certain foods (especially gluten and casein? N.

>

>

My son is more allergic to rice milk than to bovine milk so yes, brown rice

can cause allergy problems. Also, I read somewhere that those allergic to

cow's milk are 30% likely to be allergic to soy as well. We have not had

any problems with goat's milk.

April

> Some kids do not react well to rice milk if made from brown rice

> And now a friend told me soy could be a problem for boys anybody hear

> of this?

>

> Thanks

>

>

>

>

>

> > Any opinions on food allergies? Our daughter shows

> positive reaction on the

> > elisa blood test to many foods. I really don't see a change in her

> whether

> > she eats the foods or doesn't. Is this test that reliable? We

> definately

> > noticed behavior improvements 5 years ago when we started GFCF. Now

> she seems to

> > be able to tolerate both in moderation. How do you determine for

> sure if kids

> > shouldn't have certain foods (especially gluten and casein? N.

> >

> >

My son is more allergic to rice milk than to bovine milk so yes, brown rice

can cause allergy problems. Also, I read somewhere that those allergic to

cow's milk are 30% likely to be allergic to soy as well. We have not had

any problems with goat's milk.

April

> of this?

>

> Thanks

>

>

>

>

>

> whether

> definately

> she seems to

> sure if kids

> >

> >

Thanks to all that answered anyone have any articles showing soy a

problem for boys as stated?

Thanks,

-

-- In , " Kristy Nardini " <krnardini@...> wrote:

>

> ,

>

> Soy is a problem for my son. The protein is very similar to casein.

>

> I have also heard a controversy about soy and boys - it is high in plant

> estrogens and *may* contribute to hormone problems, esp. if large

quantities

> are consumed from an early age.

>

> Kristy

>

> Re: diet

>

>

> of this?

>

> Thanks

>

>

>

> whether

> definately

> she seems to

> sure if kids

> >

> >

I agree with Marcia. The diet can drive you crazy. My son eats strawberries and

watermelon and I have never seen any reaction (behaviour or otherwise) to those

fruits, so I'm not cutting them out. In our case, my son has no allergies or

food sensitivities -- I think he was one of the only ones Dr. G had ever seen

whose food screen came back with no issues on it -- so I feel pretty sure that

giving him these things is no big deal. I also give him canteloupe from time to

time, although he doesn't always want it. He used to eat pears when he was

smaller, but he doesn't want them now. I think those are fine on the diet.

I've also given him nectarines the odd time (I consider them bald peaches and

peaches are supposed to be okay).

I think you know your child best and when you know something doesn't cause

problems, you can go ahead without too much worry. My only problem now is all

the talk on the list recently about soy and hormones re: boys. My guy has been

drinking soy milk (one or two glasses a day) and a bit of soy yogurt (to get the

meds down) for three years now. I hope he's not going to have some hormone issue

down the road.

Rhoda

Diet

That sounds REALLY good. I thought I should tell you though that Dr.

Goldberg has all of the kids eliminate all berries in the ³basic²

diet,

and then, in addition, told us that honey was a no-no for my son when his

eosinophils crept up a bit (he had us write down his diet for a week...

there was some bread he ate that had a little honey in it). I don¹t know

if

the removing honey is for all of his patients or just my little one, but

evidently it can be a problem for some kids. I hadn¹t really worried about

it before, but then I thought, well I guess it is sort of made of pollen,

so

I guess it could cause problems in some people.

I feel bad posting this because there are days when I want to run

screaming

from the house because I¹m so tired of ³doing the diet² and I feel like if

I

have to take out one more thing, I¹ll go crazy. And my little guy is the

one with the adventurous palate... he loves everything... and he really

feels sad about what he can¹t have. Such is life, I suppose.

Caroline

Don't make yourself crazy with the diet. Just eliminate the big triggers for

your child. The first I heard of eliminating berries and tropical fruit was a

week ago. For Seventeen years has eaten these. I was strick on the diet at

home, but if it came to making my child feel different at school or letting him

have an offending food, I always thought it was more important for him to feel

like everyone else. When it was someone's bday and cupcakes were given, he had

them. We just swam or exercised a little more to get it out of his system.

The diet can drive you insane if you let it.

Marcia

My daughters allergy panel only showed a slight sensitivity to milk. Nothing by

way of fruits, vegetables or anything else for that matter. I too give my

daughter watermelon and cantaloupe but she doesn't like oranges or other citrus

fruits much.

Have any of you noticed your child's food choices changing often? When we

first started the diet my daughter was a carb addict. Then she went on to eat

protein but would not ever eat anything green except salad. Then she wanted to

eat only green vegetables and now she is not wanting to eat them at all again.

I don't get it. It is so frustrating. I never know what she will or won't eat

because her tastes seem to change every few weeks. I find this odd. Sheri

Rhoda Boyd <rboyd@...> wrote:

I agree with Marcia. The diet can drive you crazy. My son eats

strawberries and watermelon and I have never seen any reaction (behaviour or

otherwise) to those fruits, so I'm not cutting them out. In our case, my son has

no allergies or food sensitivities -- I think he was one of the only ones Dr. G

had ever seen whose food screen came back with no issues on it -- so I feel

pretty sure that giving him these things is no big deal. I also give him

canteloupe from time to time, although he doesn't always want it. He used to eat

pears when he was smaller, but he doesn't want them now. I think those are fine

on the diet. I've also given him nectarines the odd time (I consider them

bald peaches and peaches are supposed to be okay).

I think you know your child best and when you know something doesn't cause

problems, you can go ahead without too much worry. My only problem now is all

the talk on the list recently about soy and hormones re: boys. My guy has been

drinking soy milk (one or two glasses a day) and a bit of soy yogurt (to get the

meds down) for three years now. I hope he's not going to have some hormone issue

down the road.

Rhoda

Diet

That sounds REALLY good. I thought I should tell you though that Dr.

Goldberg has all of the kids eliminate all berries in the ³basic²

diet,

and then, in addition, told us that honey was a no-no for my son when his

eosinophils crept up a bit (he had us write down his diet for a week...

there was some bread he ate that had a little honey in it). I don¹t know

if

the removing honey is for all of his patients or just my little one, but

evidently it can be a problem for some kids. I hadn¹t really worried about

it before, but then I thought, well I guess it is sort of made of pollen,

so

I guess it could cause problems in some people.

I feel bad posting this because there are days when I want to run

screaming

from the house because I¹m so tired of ³doing the diet² and I feel like if

I

have to take out one more thing, I¹ll go crazy. And my little guy is the

one with the adventurous palate... he loves everything... and he really

feels sad about what he can¹t have. Such is life, I suppose.

Caroline

Don't make yourself crazy with the diet. Just eliminate the big triggers for

your child. The first I heard of eliminating berries and tropical fruit was a

week ago. For Seventeen years has eaten these. I was strick on the diet at

home, but if it came to making my child feel different at school or letting him

have an offending food, I always thought it was more important for him to feel

like everyone else. When it was someone's bday and cupcakes were given, he had

them. We just swam or exercised a little more to get it out of his system.

Marcia

Marcia,

I wish I could feel it was OK to relax, but my older son has a retinal

dystrophy that seems to have stabilized when we went on the diet... I live

in fear if it kicking into full force again and his going blind. I am

pretty sure the diet is what stabilized it because at that time he was on no

meds (we were waiting to get in to Dr. G), so I am rather obsessive about

the diet... anything to maybe preserve the poor vision he has left... and

I¹m also afraid of my other son developing the dystrophy because it may

be a genetic weakness they share. If it were just having a couple of wacky

days I might feel different. There are days when I¹m tempted to say ³hang

it all² but I just can¹t.

It is encouraging, though to know that recovered without being so

strict... and thanks for trying to help me not go crazy! I need all the

help I can get!

Caroline

Reply-< >

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:12:49 -0700

< >

Subject: Diet

Don't make yourself crazy with the diet. Just eliminate the big triggers

for your child. The first I heard of eliminating berries and tropical fruit

was a week ago. For Seventeen years has eaten these. I was strick on

the diet at home, but if it came to making my child feel different at school

or letting him have an offending food, I always thought it was more

important for him to feel like everyone else. When it was someone's bday

and cupcakes were given, he had them. We just swam or exercised a little

more to get it out of his system.

Marcia

Caroline,

You are definitely in a different situation than I was with . I understand

why you have to be so strick. Did you let the office know about the blindness

issue? Maybe there is a way they can hurry up the wait time. I also need to

explain that when I saw a food that my kid reacted to I eliminated it from the

diet or did not give it in large amounts. My son seemed to react to the rice

dream ice cream. I'm not sure why but I think it may have been the large amount

of sugar. I gave this on a limited basis. Also when the immune system becomes

more normalized, they don't react to everything as much. I almost always

avoided milk products in the beginning and garlic was a big trigger for my kid.

Now he can have as much garlic as he wants as he no longer has a problem with

it. When they are sick, it is almost as if they are standing on one foot. It

is very easy to knock them over when the immune system is out of whack. After

the immune system stablizes it is like they are on two feet. Little amounts of

things that they reacted to before, no longer bother them. Study your kid. If

they become more autistic after a particular food, eliminate it from the diet.

I know this is so hard. But also don't beat yourself up. Just do the best you

can.

Marcia

P. S. Cheryl welcome to you and . My son is seventeen and now

recovered. I will send you some info I send to new parents. If there are any

other new lurkers out there email me and I would love to send you the info I am

sending to Cheryl. I too always wondered if my child was really Autistic. Our

kids are not Autistic in the classic sense. They are in a disease state where

their immune systems are not right. And illnesses, unlike Autism, can get

better. I too wanted it to be anything but the A-Word. The Autism diagnosis

was never confirmed for me until after our first neurospect. However, it doesn't

really matter what the diagnosis is. You do the same thing no matter what your

kid has. Dr. G treats what is wrong in their bodies and then you need to help

them behaviorally and educationally to catch them up on what they missed.

Fortunately for you are getting an early start. I wasn't so fortunate.

The earlier the treatment starts, the easier it is to teach them what they

missed.

Marcia,

I wish I could feel it was OK to relax, but my older son has a retinal

dystrophy that seems to have stabilized when we went on the diet... I live

in fear if it kicking into full force again and his going blind. I am

pretty sure the diet is what stabilized it because at that time he was on no

meds (we were waiting to get in to Dr. G), so I am rather obsessive about

the diet... anything to maybe preserve the poor vision he has left... and

I¹m also afraid of my other son developing the dystrophy because it may

be a genetic weakness they share. If it were just having a couple of wacky

days I might feel different. There are days when I¹m tempted to say ³hang