RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Some Good Reading

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Frosted Flakes are covered in sugar yours are not!

Regards

Jan RE: Some Good Reading

<<. This isn't sound diabetic advice.>>

I don’t want to start anything here but my DH eats a bowl of bran flakes or sun flakes almost every evening. This practice was encouraged and ok’d by his diabetic nutritionist. He is allowed 3 meals and 3 snacks daily. Total carbs are 3 per meal and 2 per snack. (1 carb = 15g) This seems to work well for him so far.

Tammy J

Guest guest

So true Tammie, I think the only way for me to keep mine down is to not eat at all, well maybe lettuce & water! Problem is I LOVE FOOD! I mean I love to cook!

Love

Jan.T

RE: Some Good Reading

<<Frosted Flakes are covered in sugar yours are not!>>

This is true but the nutritionist told us that the important number is the carbs. Not whether they come from sugar or starch. (now, I realize nutritionally there is a difference. J) Anyway, I know that Frosted Flakes could be eaten with DH’s plan if the carbs were counted properly. (not that he eats them anyway! LOL) And I do realize that some of you are on Atkins and wouldn’t eat carbs like this anyway. Just wanted to point out that there is no one right way.

Tammy J

Guest guest

I'd suggest you take your reading an hour or two after eating those cornflakes.

Your reading was lower in the am because it was high when you went to bed after eating cornflakes. Your liver didn't dump glucose into your system overnight because you started off with a high reading.

And frosted flakes? there is no way I'd eat it. If you want to go ahead, but please do check your bg's afterwards. This isn't sound diabetic advice. Unless of course you're on meds that force your bg's down, but in the long run, thats only going to aggravate your pancreas and wear it out.

Meenie

I went to the Library and found some great books to read concerningDiabetes and I checked them all out. One in particular was copyrighted2000 and was about what to eat when you have Diabetes and it wasspecifically for Type 2. Good, Good Information and I actually broke downand ate some corn flakes with splenda last nite at like 11:00 (cravings)and this morning my fasting was 93. I was afraid it would be through theroof eating that carb so soon before I laid down.Let me give you all the titles:Diabetes A to Z what you need to knowThe New Soul Food Cookbook for DiabeticsDiabetes Mellitus: A practical GuideWhat to Eat when You Have Diabetes=================================The most provocative conversation in the book about what to eat was thefact that you could eat Frosted Flakes and Grape Nuts and other high Carband sugary things. I chose Corn Flakes over Frosted because I am alwayslooking to use any 'bad' time for something alot more decadant, lol.check that book out!!

Guest guest

<<. This isn't sound diabetic

advice.>>

I don’t want to start anything here but

my DH eats a bowl of bran flakes or sun flakes almost every evening. This practice

was encouraged and ok’d by his diabetic nutritionist. He is allowed 3 meals and

3 snacks daily. Total carbs are 3 per meal and 2 per snack. (1 carb = 15g) This

seems to work well for him so far.

Tammy J

Guest guest

This

is true but the nutritionist told us that the important number is the carbs. Not

whether they come from sugar or starch. (now, I realize nutritionally there is

a difference. J)

Anyway, I know that Frosted Flakes could be eaten with DH’s plan if the carbs

were counted properly. (not that he eats them anyway! LOL) And I do realize

that some of you are on Atkins and wouldn’t eat carbs like this anyway. Just

wanted to point out that there is no one right way.

Tammy

J

Guest guest

I didn't say I was going to start eating Frosted Flakes and my dietitician

also said I could have corn flakes sometimes. In order to not binge I do

think you need to not cut everything out of your diet. I mean if suddenly

i could eat not one drop of cereal then of course that becomes highly

attractive to me. Not only do we need to watch out for our diabetes but

the majority of us are trying to lose weight as well. I don't have a

problem with sweets or desserts but I do like food. So if I have a bowl of

cereal with 1-2% milk I feel satisfied and more in control as opposed to

someone telling me NO NO NO NO NO.

" Jan " on 03/03/2001 11:47:00 PM

Please respond to diabetes

To: <diabetes >

cc:

Subject: Re: Some Good Reading

Frosted Flakes are covered in sugar yours are not!

Regards

Jan RE: Some Good Reading

<<. This isn't sound diabetic advice.>>

I don't want to start anything here but my DH eats a bowl of bran flakes

or sun flakes almost every evening. This practice was encouraged and ok'd

by his diabetic nutritionist. He is allowed 3 meals and 3 snacks daily.

Total carbs are 3 per meal and 2 per snack. (1 carb = 15g) This seems to

work well for him so far.

Tammy J

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Guest guest

Sun flakes are covered with artificial sweetener, not sugar as frosted flakes are.

Does your DH take meds? If he can eat 245 grams of carbs a day and keep his bg's between 75 and 125 then he is either on meds or he is at a very low level in his diabetic progression (ie: resistance isn't very bad at this point)

And I don't think you're starting anything at all :) Some people can handle more food than others - depending on their progression. My problem is that this isn't pointed out to people. Also, another thing that isn't pointed out is that a high carb diet like that may be tolerated but it is causing your pancreas to kick out excess insulin in order to keep the bg's down. In the long run this isn't good. Not only does a high insulin level in your body make you hungry and store fat, but it is also taxing to your pancreas.

One of the purposes of good control is keeping your level of insulin resistance from progressing.

Meenie

I don’t want to start anything here but my DH eats a bowl of bran flakes or sun flakes almost every evening. This practice was encouraged and ok’d by his diabetic nutritionist. He is allowed 3 meals and 3 snacks daily. Total carbs are 3 per meal and 2 per snack. (1 carb = 15g) This seems to work well for him so far.

Tammy J

Guest guest

You made some good points. I'm on meds and so usually my BG fasting are

between 85-95 and I am working on getting my after lunch BG's under 150

they are averaging about 165 now. In another club I got no respect because

they felt I wasn't diabetic enough,lol lol so there are different

intrepretations everywhere you go. You have to experiement in order to see

what's right for you.

" Meenie " on 03/05/2001 12:05:36 PM

cc:

Sun flakes are covered with artificial sweetener, not sugar as frosted

flakes are.

Does  your DH take meds? If he can eat 245 grams of carbs a day and keep

his bg's between 75 and 125 then he is either on meds or he is at a very

low level in his diabetic progression (ie: resistance isn't very bad at

this point)

And I don't think you're starting anything at all :) Some people can

handle more food than others - depending on their progression.  My problem

is that this isn't pointed out to people.  Also, another thing that isn't

pointed out is that a high carb diet like that may be tolerated but it is

causing your pancreas to kick out excess insulin in order to keep the bg's

down.  In the long run this isn't good.  Not only does a high insulin

level in your body make you hungry and store fat, but it is also taxing to

your pancreas.

One of the purposes of good control is keeping your level of insulin

resistance from progressing.

Meenie

I don't want to start anything here but my DH eats a bowl of bran flakes

or sun flakes almost every evening. This practice was encouraged and ok'd

by his diabetic nutritionist. He is allowed 3 meals and 3 snacks daily.

Total carbs are 3 per meal and 2 per snack. (1 carb = 15g) This seems to

work well for him so far.

Tammy J

Guest guest

<<Does your DH take meds? If he can eat 245 grams of carbs

a day and keep his bg's between 75 and 125 then he is either on meds or he is

at a very low level in his diabetic progression (ie: resistance isn't very bad

at this point)>>

Yes, he is

on meds. Most of the time his bg’s are between those numbers. His doc and

dietitian have recommended this diet for him. They do not recommend the Atkins

one for him. Also, I don’t think he’d be too happy with that one. J To each his own eh? He’s currently

on Amaryl and Actos but hoping to get off the Amaryl. Hasn’t been on the Actos

long enough yet to do that but probably will within another month. He started

out with bg’s at 600… not too good! LOL.

Tammy J

Guest guest

LOL, not diabetic enough. Thats good.

Thats as bad as having the doc tell you you are "borderline diabetic" as mine did at first.

If your bg's don't run that high plus you're on meds you'll be able to eat a lot more carbs than I do (i'm on diet and exercise alone).

My concern with the high carbs that are recommended by the ADA is that by eating that way your pancreas makes more insulin to get past the cells resistance and get into the cell to bring that bg down. This leaves an excess amount of insulin floating around - if it can't work on glucose it will do it's second best job - storing fat.

This in turn makes us more resistant eventually and things keep progressing. The purpose of good control isn't only to keep bg's "normalized", but to stop the progression of this disease.

I work in a hospital and see the diabetics in there every day who are on dialysis, have terrible ulcers on their feet and legs, having amputations, vision problems, heart problems. Wouldn't you think that as these problems begin to arise (and they don't happen overnight) that the doctors and dieticians might say to themselves, hmmm whats not working here? Well, some of them are. More and more doctors are beginning to prescribe low carb - and when I say low carb, most of them are not as low carb as Atkins, but some do follow him.

It should seem pretty obvious to them that when a disease continues to progress something is wrong in its treatment. They prescribe the high carb diets, then increase and increase the medication until you're out of options. Then what?

And I'll say once more, IF you can follow their exchange diet, get the weight off, get off the meds or are lowering them, keep your bg's within normal parameters, then its working for you. and that is absolutely terrific, stay with it.

If you're following it and your weight isn't coming off, you're having difficulty following the diet, your bg's aren't better, and your medication keeps being increased, then there are alternatives you can look into - there are options.

I'd suggest to you, try lowering your carbs at lunch and seeing if your bg's don't respond. How are your bg's after bkfst and dinner?

I'll give some examples... do you have a sandwich for lunch? There's a lot of carbs in bread but you can knock a lot of that off by eating a light bread. There are several now that have around 10 grams a slice. And if you can use one slice rather than two thats even better.

Leave the croutons off your salad and put cut up chicken on it. Chicken is lean if you use only the white meat and helps fill you up.

Take some chicken slices and some low fat cheese slices and roll them up together, wrap them in a lettuce leaf and nuke em in the microwave. Very good and you can have several. I have a microwave available where I work which is a nice bennie .

Have to go out to eat? Get a salad w/chicken w/oil and vinegar dssg, hold the croutons.

Going fast food? On Atkins I can get a whopper and just tell them to hold the bun, or take it off myself. Find a lower fat sandwich and toss one side of the bun- eat it like you'd eat a slice of pizza (which I can eat btw, just leave the crust (we call them "pizza bones"hehe))

Meenie

You made some good points. I'm on meds and so usually my BG fasting arebetween 85-95 and I am working on getting my after lunch BG's under 150they are averaging about 165 now. In another club I got no respect becausethey felt I wasn't diabetic enough,lol lol so there are differentintrepretations everywhere you go. You have to experiement in order to seewhat's right for you."Meenie" on 03/05/2001 12:05:36 PMPlease respond to diabetes To: <diabetes >cc:Subject: Re: Some Good ReadingSun flakes are covered with artificial sweetener, not sugar as frostedflakes are.Does your DH take meds? If he can eat 245 grams of carbs a day and keephis bg's between 75 and 125 then he is either on meds or he is at a verylow level in his diabetic progression (ie: resistance isn't very bad atthis point)And I don't think you're starting anything at all :) Some people canhandle more food than others - depending on their progression. My problemis that this isn't pointed out to people. Also, another thing that isn'tpointed out is that a high carb diet like that may be tolerated but it iscausing your pancreas to kick out excess insulin in order to keep the bg'sdown. In the long run this isn't good. Not only does a high insulinlevel in your body make you hungry and store fat, but it is also taxing toyour pancreas.One of the purposes of good control is keeping your level of insulinresistance from progressing. MeenieI don't want to start anything here but my DH eats a bowl of bran flakesor sun flakes almost every evening. This practice was encouraged and ok'dby his diabetic nutritionist. He is allowed 3 meals and 3 snacks daily.Total carbs are 3 per meal and 2 per snack. (1 carb = 15g) This seems towork well for him so far.Tammy J

Guest guest

Thats great he's gotten bg's down from 600 :)

Funny you say you don't think he'd be happy on Atkins... most men love it a lot better than the women do! :)

As long as my DH can have a big steak, he is happy as a lark, lol.

For dinner we usually have a grilled steak or pork chop or chicken, with a big salad or a smaller salad and a cooked veggie like brocolli. And of course that one t hing we all have in common: sugar free jello <G> but we can have whipped cream on it.

So the doc thinks the actos will allow him off the amaryl? I'm presuming the amaryl was causing some problems?

When I first started I was put on glyburide and had to eat all the time to keep from having lows!! Now that may sound like a diabetics dream, but believe me, it wasn't, lol. I was on the verge of a low all the time. What a terrible feeling! My family members didnt like it too much either :) I was irritable as a bear! :)

Meenie

Yes, he is on meds. Most of the time his bg’s are between those numbers. His doc and dietitian have recommended this diet for him. They do not recommend the Atkins one for him. Also, I don’t think he’d be too happy with that one. J To each his own eh? He’s currently on Amaryl and Actos but hoping to get off the Amaryl. Hasn’t been on the Actos long enough yet to do that but probably will within another month. He started out with bg’s at 600… not too good! LOL.

Tammy J

Guest guest

Yeah,

Meenie, he does like meat but he is a BIG pasta eater. I can’t ever see him

coming off that unless he absolutely had to! LOL.

The

Amaryl isn’t causing him any problems but hey, the fewer meds he has to be on,

the better eh?! After the Actos starts kicking in he might find that the Amaryl

will cause some lows and as long as he is regulated, he doesn’t need to take

it.

Actually,

thinking about what he eats, most of his carbs during the day come from fruit.

He has a banana at one snack and another fruit for another. For lunch he has a

large salad with turkey on it and croutons. (there’s the carbs there..) Dinner

is usually some meat and veggies (inc. potato) or something with pasta and

veggies. He isn’t a big veggie eater so it has been a challenge to find things

he likes and can eat that aren’t a carb (like corn and peas!) But, he’s getting

it. J

Tammy

J

Guest guest

I wish! Anytime I try cereal, even with Splenda, my blood sugar level goes

over 300.

Kathleen

I actually broke down

>and ate some corn flakes with splenda last nite at like 11:00 (cravings)

>and this morning my fasting was 93. I was afraid it would be through the

>roof eating that carb so soon before I laid down.

>

>The most provocative conversation in the book about what to eat was the

>fact that you could eat Frosted Flakes and Grape Nuts and other high Carb

>and sugary things. I chose Corn Flakes over Frosted because I am always

>looking to use any 'bad' time for something alot more decadant, lol.

>

>check that book out!!

>

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

Guest guest

when i was pregnant I was on diet and exercise alone and my daughter who is

now 7 was fine. Actually she only weighed 5 lbs. 15 oz. so she was little

on top of all that.

Well for instance so far today I have eaten.

1 cup corn flakes with 1/2 cup 2 % milk, 1/2 cup sugar free Snapple Ruby

Red Grapefruit drink and 16 oz. water.

1 stick trident gum (lol)

1 order of roast beef, cole slaw, boiled whole okra and sugar free ice tea

and 1/2 cup mac and cheese.

I just got back from lunch so no checking yet. for dinner I've already

cooked baked chicken and broccoli and that's what I'll have.

I need to get back to exercising. I have lost 45 pounds on my 5'2 inch

frame so I feel exceptionally well. I started out on Atkins prior to

finding out about the diabetes and in November I modified a bit to watch

keytones etc.

So I am still experimenting I HATE that exchange thing, reminds me of

weight watchers and I've never been good at that but I do skim it to see

about portion size.

I take 500mg of glucophage 2 times a day, a cranberry tablet (had a series

of Urinary infections which led to me finding out about diabetes), 1 baby

asprin (for heart disease) and a multivitamin.

" Meenie " on 03/05/2001 12:41:30 PM

cc:

LOL, not diabetic enough.  Thats good.

Thats as bad as having the doc tell you you are " borderline diabetic " as

mine did at first.

If your bg's don't run that high plus you're on meds you'll be able to eat

a lot more carbs than I do (i'm on diet and exercise alone).

My concern with the high carbs that are recommended by the ADA is that by

eating that way your pancreas makes more insulin to get past the cells

resistance and get into the cell to bring that bg down.  This leaves an

excess amount of insulin floating around - if it can't work on glucose it

will do it's second best job - storing fat.

This in turn makes us more resistant eventually and things keep

progressing.  The purpose of good control isn't only to keep bg's

" normalized " , but to stop the progression of this disease.

I work in a hospital and see the diabetics in there every day who are on

dialysis, have terrible ulcers on their feet and legs, having amputations,

vision problems, heart problems.  Wouldn't you think that as these

problems begin to arise (and they don't happen overnight) that the doctors

and dieticians might say to themselves, hmmm whats not working here? Well,

some of them are.  More and more doctors are beginning to prescribe low

carb - and when I say low carb, most of them are not as low carb as

Atkins, but some do follow him.

It should seem pretty obvious to them that when a disease continues to

progress something is wrong in its treatment.  They prescribe the high

carb diets, then increase and increase the medication until you're out of

options.  Then what?

And I'll say once more, IF you can follow their exchange diet, get the

weight off, get off the meds or are lowering them, keep your bg's within

normal parameters, then its working for you. and that is absolutely

terrific, stay with it.

If you're following it and your weight isn't coming off, you're having

difficulty following the diet, your bg's aren't better, and your

medication keeps being increased, then there are alternatives you can look

into - there are options.

I'd suggest to you, try lowering your carbs at lunch and seeing if your

bg's don't respond.  How are your bg's after bkfst and dinner?

I'll give some examples... do you have a sandwich for lunch? There's a lot

of carbs in bread but you can knock a lot of that off by eating a light

bread.  There are several now that have around 10 grams a slice.  And if

you can use one slice rather than two thats even better.

Leave the croutons off your salad and put cut up chicken on it.  Chicken

is lean if you use only the white meat and  helps fill you up.

Take some chicken slices and some low fat cheese slices and roll them up

together, wrap them in a lettuce leaf and nuke em in the microwave.  Very

good and you can have several.  I have a microwave available where I work

which is a nice bennie .

Have to go out to eat? Get a salad w/chicken w/oil and vinegar dssg, hold

the croutons.

Going fast food? On Atkins I can get a whopper and just tell them to hold

the bun, or take it off myself.  Find a lower fat sandwich and toss one

side of the bun- eat it like you'd eat a slice of pizza (which I can eat

btw, just leave the crust (we call them " pizza bones " hehe))

Meenie

You made some good points.  I'm on meds and so usually my BG fasting are

between 85-95 and I am working on getting my after lunch BG's under 150

they are averaging about 165 now.  In another club I got no respect

because

they felt I wasn't diabetic enough,lol lol  so there are different

intrepretations everywhere you go.  You have to experiement in order to

see

what's right for you.

" Meenie " on 03/05/2001 12:05:36 PM

To:   <diabetes >

cc:

Subject:  Re: Some Good Reading

Sun flakes are covered with artificial sweetener, not  sugar as frosted

flakes are.

Does  your DH take meds? If he can eat 245  grams of carbs a day and keep

his bg's between 75 and 125 then he is either on  meds or he is at a very

low level in his diabetic progression (ie: resistance  isn't very bad at

this point)

And I don't think you're starting anything at all :) Some  people can

handle more food than others - depending on their  progression.  My

problem

is that this isn't pointed out to people.   Also, another thing that isn't

pointed out is that a high carb diet like that  may be tolerated but it is

causing your pancreas to kick out excess insulin in  order to keep the

bg's

down.  In the long run this isn't good.  Not  only does a high insulin

level in your body make you hungry and store fat, but  it is also taxing

to

your pancreas.

One of the purposes of good control is keeping your level  of insulin

resistance from progressing.

Meenie

I  don't want to start anything here but my DH eats a bowl of bran flakes

or sun  flakes almost every evening. This practice was encouraged and ok'd

by his  diabetic nutritionist. He is allowed 3 meals and 3 snacks daily.

Total carbs  are 3 per meal and 2 per snack. (1 carb = 15g) This seems to

work well for him  so far.

Tammy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Classmates.com

Click here for Classmates.com

[iMAGE]

Guest guest

This is how I read this at first... the rest started on the next line... I was going 1/2 CUP OF SUGAR!!?? rofl!!!1 cup corn flakes with 1/2 cup 2 % milk, 1/2 cup sugar

Guest guest

I'd be over here passed out, lol lol lol

" Meenie " on 03/05/2001 03:20:38 PM

cc:

This is how I read this at first... the rest started on the next line... I

was going 1/2 CUP OF SUGAR!!?? rofl!!!

1 cup corn flakes with 1/2 cup 2 % milk, 1/2 cup sugar

Guest guest

just a question, is the order of roast beef a sandwich, or just the actual roast beef? If you got a salad instead of the mac and cheese, you'd have a nice low carb lunch that looks pretty filling. The cole slaw is questionable, I make my own so know there's no sugar in it

(I use splenda - my hubby just made two batches, one with vinegar - very tangy, and one with mayo so it is creamier. mmm we had barbecue and cole slaw last night for dinner)

Your dinner is something just like I might have too :)

For breakfast I have an omelette with cheese maybe sausage or bacon, a cup of decaff coffee w/splenda. I add cream if I want some coddling :)

Pepperoni chips for a snack, or egg muffins (no bread involved), or hard boiled eggs, or lunch meat rolled up in cheese.

Lunch when at work is usually either something leftover from dinner or a salad (we have a nice salad bar at work)

then dinner meat, veggie,salad. Maybe sugar free jello.

We eat dinner kinda late - around 7 pm so don't usually have a bedtime snack, but if I feel the need its something left from dinner or one of the snaces mentioned earlier.

I do drink diet sodas, and try to get in all that ungodly water!! :)

i take a multi vitamin, a vit C, verapamil (for blood pressure, so far I've cut the dose in half), and a prempro.

Meenie

Well for instance so far today I have eaten.1 cup corn flakes with 1/2 cup 2 % milk, 1/2 cup sugar free Snapple RubyRed Grapefruit drink and 16 oz. water.1 stick trident gum (lol)1 order of roast beef, cole slaw, boiled whole okra and sugar free ice teaand 1/2 cup mac and cheese.I just got back from lunch so no checking yet. for dinner I've alreadycooked baked chicken and broccoli and that's what I'll have.I need to get back to exercising. I have lost 45 pounds on my 5'2 inchframe so I feel exceptionally well. I started out on Atkins prior tofinding out about the diabetes and in November I modified a bit to watchkeytones etc.So I am still experimenting I HATE that exchange thing, reminds me ofweight watchers and I've never been good at that but I do skim it to seeabout portion size.I take 500mg of glucophage 2 times a day, a cranberry tablet (had a seriesof Urinary infections which led to me finding out about diabetes), 1 babyasprin (for heart disease) and a multivitamin.

Guest guest

Excellent :)

As a followup I just checked my sugars and after lunch 123 and I am stuffedso I know dinner will be pretty light.

Guest guest

As a followup I just checked my sugars and after lunch 123 and I am stuffed

so I know dinner will be pretty light.

" Meenie " on 03/05/2001 03:20:38 PM

cc:

This is how I read this at first... the rest started on the next line... I

was going 1/2 CUP OF SUGAR!!?? rofl!!!

1 cup corn flakes with 1/2 cup 2 % milk, 1/2 cup sugar

Guest guest

I just had two slices of actualy roast beef. No bread or anything in it's

own juice. You'll find this funny but I work for the American Cancer

Society so we have a very good lunch room, lol. I just like going out and

relaxing with co-workers but I try to bring from home at least a couple of

days. The cole slaw wasn't heavy but I'm sure there was some sugar

somewhere. I know I should have gotten the salad but yesterday when I had

fajitas (YUM) I had a great salad and I just was't in the mood. Now

tomorrow is omelet day at the job so I'll get that and switch my intake of

carbs around.

I see you are using the splenda, have you baked with it as of yet.

" Meenie " on 03/05/2001 03:30:51 PM

cc:

just a question, is the order of roast beef a sandwich, or just the actual

roast beef? If you got a salad instead of the mac and cheese,  you'd have

a nice low carb lunch that looks pretty filling.  The cole slaw is

questionable, I make my own so know there's no sugar in it

(I use splenda - my hubby just made two batches, one with vinegar - very

tangy, and one with mayo so it is creamier. mmm we had barbecue and cole

slaw last night for dinner)

Your dinner is something just like I might have too :)

For breakfast I have an omelette with cheese maybe sausage or bacon, a

cup of decaff coffee w/splenda.  I add cream if I want some coddling :)

Pepperoni chips for a snack, or egg muffins (no bread involved), or hard

boiled eggs, or lunch meat rolled up in cheese.

Lunch when at work is usually either something leftover from dinner or a

salad (we have a nice salad bar at work)

then dinner meat, veggie,salad.  Maybe sugar free jello.

We eat dinner kinda late - around 7 pm so don't usually have a bedtime

snack, but if I feel the need its something left from dinner or one of the

snaces mentioned earlier.

I do drink diet sodas, and try to get in all that ungodly water!! :)

i take a multi vitamin, a vit C, verapamil (for blood pressure, so far

I've cut the dose in half), and a prempro.

Meenie

Well for instance so far today I have eaten.

1 cup corn flakes with 1/2 cup 2 % milk, 1/2 cup sugar free Snapple Ruby

Red Grapefruit drink and 16 oz. water.

1 stick trident gum (lol)

1 order of roast beef, cole slaw, boiled whole okra and sugar free ice tea

and 1/2 cup mac and cheese.

I just got back from lunch so no checking yet.  for dinner I've already

cooked baked chicken and broccoli and that's what I'll have.

I need to get back to exercising.  I have lost 45 pounds on my 5'2 inch

frame so I feel exceptionally well.  I started out on Atkins prior to

finding out about the diabetes and in November I modified a bit to watch

keytones etc.

So I am still experimenting I HATE that exchange thing, reminds me of

weight watchers and I've never been good at that but I do skim it to see

about portion size.

I take 500mg of glucophage 2 times a day, a cranberry tablet (had a series

of Urinary infections which led to me finding out about diabetes), 1 baby

asprin (for heart disease) and a multivitamin.

Guest guest

tamms wrote:

This is true but the nutritionist told us that the important number is the carbs. Not whether they come from sugar or starch. (now, I realize nutritionally there is a difference. J) Anyway, I know that Frosted Flakes could be eaten with DH’s plan if the carbs were counted properly. (not that he eats them anyway! LOL) And I do realize that some of you are on Atkins and wouldn’t eat carbs like this anyway. Just wanted to point out that there is no one right way. >>

Are you aware that sugar and starches are carbs? :-)

True, as long as you count carbs, you can eat your chosen plan, but the plan you describe is way too high, and if it was lower, most of the meds could actually be avoided. Oral meds are nortorious for potential side effects, all that could be avoided just with lower carb, but evidently he doesn't want to part with his carby foods.

We all go through this at first, denial is a big part of all chronic diseases, we're here if you need further advice when the time comes.

Not meant to offend non low carbers, JMHO

carol

Tammy J

Guest guest

pmuhamma asks:>

> I see you are using the splenda, have you baked with it as of yet.

>

>

Good question: What's the equivalent to 1 cup of sugar? Would 1 cup of

splenda be too much?

Thea

Guest guest

<<Are you aware that sugar and

starches are carbs? :-)>>

Yes,

I thought that was what I was saying. LOL. At least I was trying to! J

<<True, as long as you count

carbs, you can eat your chosen plan, but the plan you describe is way too high,

>>

This

is the plan that he was given by the diabetic nutritionist and his doctor. It

is basically 50% carbs. I have read about the low carb diets and also asked the

nutritionist. It is not what they recommend for him. Although I understand that

they say it is healthful, I just happen to disagree. (sorry to you low

carbers.. just my opinion!) Anyway, this is the plan that he has been given and

is similar to the ADA plan.

Tammy

J

Guest guest

Ahhh Roast Beef au Jus.. mmmm very good :)

It seems you're doing low carb part time <G> The only thing I'd worry about with that plan (as long as bg's are good of course) is the cholesterol question. Its been shown with low carb that the cholesterol is controlled very well with either low carb or low fat. Its the combo of fats and carbs that is the true culprit for cholesterol. So as long as you have your cholesterol checked from time to time (and who doesn't! ) that shouldn't become a problem.

Meenie

I just had two slices of actualy roast beef. No bread or anything in it'sown juice. You'll find this funny but I work for the American CancerSociety so we have a very good lunch room, lol. I just like going out andrelaxing with co-workers but I try to bring from home at least a couple ofdays. The cole slaw wasn't heavy but I'm sure there was some sugarsomewhere. I know I should have gotten the salad but yesterday when I hadfajitas (YUM) I had a great salad and I just was't in the mood. Nowtomorrow is omelet day at the job so I'll get that and switch my intake ofcarbs around.I see you are using the splenda, have you baked with it as of yet."Meenie" on 03/05/2001 03:30:51 PMPlease respond to diabetes To: <diabetes >cc:Subject: Re: Some Good Readingjust a question, is the order of roast beef a sandwich, or just the actualroast beef? If you got a salad instead of the mac and cheese, you'd havea nice low carb lunch that looks pretty filling. The cole slaw isquestionable, I make my own so know there's no sugar in it (I use splenda - my hubby just made two batches, one with vinegar - verytangy, and one with mayo so it is creamier. mmm we had barbecue and coleslaw last night for dinner)Your dinner is something just like I might have too :) For breakfast I have an omelette with cheese maybe sausage or bacon, acup of decaff coffee w/splenda. I add cream if I want some coddling :)Pepperoni chips for a snack, or egg muffins (no bread involved), or hardboiled eggs, or lunch meat rolled up in cheese.Lunch when at work is usually either something leftover from dinner or asalad (we have a nice salad bar at work)then dinner meat, veggie,salad. Maybe sugar free jello.We eat dinner kinda late - around 7 pm so don't usually have a bedtimesnack, but if I feel the need its something left from dinner or one of thesnaces mentioned earlier.I do drink diet sodas, and try to get in all that ungodly water!! :)i take a multi vitamin, a vit C, verapamil (for blood pressure, so farI've cut the dose in half), and a prempro. MeenieWell for instance so far today I have eaten.1 cup corn flakes with 1/2 cup 2 % milk, 1/2 cup sugar free Snapple RubyRed Grapefruit drink and 16 oz. water.1 stick trident gum (lol)1 order of roast beef, cole slaw, boiled whole okra and sugar free ice teaand 1/2 cup mac and cheese.I just got back from lunch so no checking yet. for dinner I've alreadycooked baked chicken and broccoli and that's what I'll have.I need to get back to exercising. I have lost 45 pounds on my 5'2 inchframe so I feel exceptionally well. I started out on Atkins prior tofinding out about the diabetes and in November I modified a bit to watchkeytones etc.So I am still experimenting I HATE that exchange thing, reminds me ofweight watchers and I've never been good at that but I do skim it to seeabout portion size.I take 500mg of glucophage 2 times a day, a cranberry tablet (had a seriesof Urinary infections which led to me finding out about diabetes), 1 babyasprin (for heart disease) and a multivitamin.

Guest guest

I work in a hospital too....and the vast majority of diabetics who have

leg ulcers, are on dialysis, have vision problems or heart disease also

have other risk factors too....obesity, tobacco use, poor control of

their blood sugars through NO diet whatsoever, uncontrolled

hypertension, noncompliance with medications.

If blood sugars are controlled by lifestyle changes....whether this is

the ADA diet or low carb, high protein, whatever....chances of

developing these complications are greatly reduced, especially in type

II's.

Gail