RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: stress

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I regularly "put myself down" by making requests like the one Terry made but I do it aware that I am using language creatively and hope that others get the humour I intend. Of course, that doesn't always happen over internet especially if someone doesn't know you well. I just assumed Terry was being a bit jokey and putting her request gently and did not assume that she meant the original writer was trying to confuse or on the other hand that she really believes or thinks others believe she is thick!

I agree about the use of jargon. It's technical language that when used appropriately with an audience that understands it is helpful. I also agree with your comments about accessing this forum as someone new to ACT. Depending on what the thread is at the time you could get a very different introduction to ACT and assume it is much more complicated than it actually is. But that's internet! No one knows who anyone else is really. This is a very unusual Yahoo group in my experience too as there is no members' list and I often wonder whether this is somehow ACT related?

Soozy

Subject: Re: stressTo: ACT_for_the_Public Date: Friday, 3 June, 2011, 4:37

I think I've become hung-up on the common expression 'dumbing down', hence this off-topic, slightly ranty, post. To me it sounds vaguely like a put-down, as if someone's not smart enough to understand what's being said. The word 'simplify' might be better.Every field of human activity has a collection of technical words that are used to refer to often complex concepts very quickly and with fewer words than would otherwise be necessary. The trick with talking about these concepts with a general audience is to simplify them in a way that retains the meaning the jargon words convey.Before I retired early last year, I worked in IT. As you know, the world of computers is full of technical terms which most people don't (and shouldn't be expected to) know. Part of my job was to write documents and manuals for two kinds of audience: technical and non-technical. If the documents were intended for experts, I'd use jargon freely, knowing they

would understand. If they were for the general reader, I'd try to find simpler ways to say the same thing, sometimes using everyday analogies.ACT of course has its own jargon. Talk to someone who's never heard of fusion, defusion, struggle, willingness, acceptance, the observing self, or the hexaflex, and you'd get more than a few blank looks! I think anyone who encounters this forum without knowing what these words mean would be a bit confused by the terms we use so freely.Cheers,Stan> >> > > > Hey - Yeah. Bring on the equations!!!!!!!!! I think your logic might be more appropriately applied to distress (the bad kind of stress). The good kind keeps us safe, etc.. The challenge is to know the difference.> > I'll be interested where this thread will take us. > > Bill> > > > To: ACT_for_the_Public > > From: castonemsw@> > Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:28:05 -0400> > Subject: stress>

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have been reading the threads about meditation and acceptance and pain and tension. I thought this idea might be relevant to some of you. I was talking with an engineer the other day about stress. The definition of stress in the realm of physics is "the internal resistance of a body to an applied force or system of forces which tends to deform the body." I noticed that this definition is also applicable to the psychological term "stress". If you look at it with an ACT lens, you might say that the world exerts a perpetual series of forces on a human which tends

to deform (or alter) the human and resistance to said force increases the deformation. > > > > If stress = resistance + applied force (please physicists dont take this too literally, I know the real equation is more complex), it might stand to reason that, given the external forces of the world are frequently not within the control of said human, the way to reduce the stress is to reduce the internal resistance. > > stress = resistance + applied force OR X=8+3 OR X=11BUT IF resistance is reduced to 1, then stress = 4> > It might also be said that if the body, instead, applies energy or work in effort to reduce the applied external force, that energy or work IS resistance and thus the stress also increases. X= (8+5) +3; X=16> > > > Just a thought.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > -->

>>

Guest guest

What units are we using here and are we metric or imperial?? :-PKateHere's the final version of my response (sorry for the mis-post): Definition of terms:S - Stress: Whatever we perceive as stressfulAF - Applied Force: applied external forces - on our body/psyche (my question: do not these forces also stem from internal sources, such as thoughts?)R - Resistance: the effort to reduce applied external forces; any energy expended for the purpose of reducing those forces, including mind/body work, for exampleEquation:Stress is the sum of Resistance and Applied Force, or S=R+AFAssume that the amount of Resistance and Applied Force can be rated on a scale of 1-20Therefore, if Resistance = 8, and Applied Force = 3, then Stress equals 11 Thus, if we could reduce Resistance on the scale (say to 1), then Stress would be reduced to 4 (much lower when resistance is lowered)Don't know if this helps or muddies the water...Helena > stress = resistance + applied force OR X=8+3 OR X=11BUT IF resistance is reduced to 1, then stress = 4> It might also be said that if the body, instead, applies energy or work in effort to reduce the applied external force, that energy or work IS resistance and thus the stress also increases. X= (8+5) +3; X=16 Re: stress Bill, can you or dumb it down some? Have no idea what is being said. Thanks,TheresaFor other ACT materials and list serves see www.contextualpsychology.orgIf you do not wish to belong to ACT_for_the_Public, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to ACT_for_the_Public-unsubscribe MARKETPLACEGet great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use.

Guest guest

I am using the measuring system that says I have five fingers on each hand and so do you (I assume). Don't know nuttin' 'bout Imperial units of measurement. And metric is for foreigners, right? Us Americans don't do metric.

Helena : )

Re: stress

Bill, can you or dumb it down some? Have no idea what is being said. Thanks,Theresa

For other ACT materials and list serves see www.contextualpsychology.orgIf you do not wish to belong to ACT_for_the_Public, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to ACT_for_the_Public-unsubscribe

MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

Guest guest

The Americans will be going over to the metric system pretty soon too, so it say's below. The British hated it but as an engineer I loved its elegance and simplicity, so I'm glad we followed Europe and went metric too.

General information about the U.S. unit system from an European point of view:

From an European point of view, the U.S. unit system seems quite complicated and impractical. The difficulty comes mainly from the fact, that large units seem to be an arbitrary multiple of the next smaller unit. For example, 3 feet equal to 1 yard, 1 foot equals to 12 inches, so 1 yard equals to 36 inches. The same is true for volume, where 1 gallon equals to 4 quarts, 8 pints, 16 cups, 256 tablespoons or 768 teaspoons.

Interestingly, there are some areas, where U.S. units are very common in Europe anyway. For example, plumbers use inches to measure the diameter of their tubes and also the dimensions of tires for cars and bikes are always specified in inches.

On the other hand, the U.S. government has decided to switch to the metric unit system during the next few years. For example, the national park service (NPS) has already switched to the metric unit system, all their more recent brochures and signs use metric units as the leading unit system and only mention to the U.S. units for reference.

http://www.about.ch/various/unit_conversion.html

Kv

> > > > > > > > > > Here's the final version of my response (sorry for the mis-post):>  > Definition of terms:> > > > > S - Stress: Whatever we perceive as stressful> AF - Applied Force: applied external forces - on our body/psyche (my question: do not these forces also stem from internal sources, such as thoughts?)> R - Resistance: the effort to reduce applied external forces; any energy expended for the purpose of reducing those forces, including mind/body work, for example> Equation:> Stress is the sum of Resistance and Applied Force, or S=R+AF> Assume that the amount of Resistance and Applied Force can be rated on a scale of 1-20> Therefore, if Resistance = 8, and Applied Force = 3, then Stress equals 11 > Thus, if we could reduce Resistance on the scale (say to 1), then Stress would be reduced to 4 (much lower when resistance is lowered)> Don't know if this helps or muddies the water...> Helena> >  > > stress = resistance + applied force OR X=8+3 OR X=11BUT IF resistance is reduced to 1, then stress = 4> > It might also be said that if the body, instead, applies energy or work in effort to reduce the applied external force, that energy or work IS resistance and thus the stress also increases. X= (8+5) +3; X=16> > >  > Re: stress> >  > > > > Bill, can you or dumb it down some? Have no idea what is being said. > > Thanks,> Theresa> > > For other ACT materials and list serves see www.contextualpsychology.org> > If you do not wish to belong to ACT_for_the_Public, you may > unsubscribe by sending an email to > ACT_for_the_Public-unsubscribe > > MARKETPLACE> > > Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.> > > > Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.> > Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use> > > .>  >

Guest guest

Hi Kate,Well, since you chose to stick your nose in, can you use your wise and all knowing sniffer to help me understand just which part here is according to you NOT directed at me?Terry,

I'm

sorry if it was confusing. My brain works in strange ways. It likes logic and explanations. Maybe someone else might want to try different words.

And as you continue with sticking your nose in, might you clarify which part of this is not directed at me?sure,

I'm capable of plain words. All I was saying was "Drop the rope". I just wanted to see what people thought about another way of looking at the concept. And I got it, some like it and some really don't. OK.

Re: the part that felt to me like it was "go away"..I was speaking directly to . I made it clear it was MY felt experience, not a matter of fact or fiction. Nor did I ask for a vote from others here on who liked that interpretation, what others thought of it, or whether they thought it "real" or not. Big noses indeed. To: ACT_for_the_Public Sent: Fri, June 3, 2011 3:57:05 PMSubject: Re: Re: stress

Sticking my nose in here but...Theresa, you seem to have interpreted 's words below as directed at you, but as far as I can tell she was just referring to the original posts with the mathematical formulas, in other words the formulas themselves were just a new way of expressing the idea of "drop the rope", ie looking at it through a mathematical framework And if you read her other words below: I actually wrote another explanation trying to make it more clear but erased it because it still looked pretty much the same as the first, so I erased it and asked for help. There's no sense of "go away" here,

but just saying that she was finding it difficult to come up with another way of explaining it and so was hoping someone would step in to do that, which is what Helena did.CheersKate with regard to what you write here:"sure, I'm capable of plain words. All I was saying was "Drop the rope". I just wanted to see what people thought about another way of looking at the concept. And I got it, some like it and some really don't."How could I possibly drop a rope I had not even been holding? Imagine a kid saying hey I want to play, can you please help me some here, explain this game that seems important and fun and you're taking time to write about on a public board called 'ACT for the public' to me? And the other kid saying: "No, afraid I can't..my brain doesn't work that way. Maybe

someone else can. Now please go away so I can carry on."That's what it felt like for me.TheresaTo: ACT_for_the_Public Sent: Fri, June 3, 2011 10:16:33 AMSubject: Re: Re: stress Thanks so much, Helena, for helping me out with the clarification. . I actually wrote another explanation trying to make it more clear but erased it because it still looked pretty much the same as the first, so I erased it and asked for help. sure, I'm capable of plain words. All I was saying was "Drop the rope". I just wanted to see what people thought about another way of looking at the concept. And I got it, some like it and some really don't. OK. Here's the final version of my response (sorry for the mis-post): Definition of terms:S - Stress: Whatever we perceive as

stressfulAF - Applied Force: applied external forces - on our body/psyche (my question: do not these forces also stem from internal sources, such as thoughts?)R - Resistance: the effort to reduce applied external forces; any energy expended for the purpose of reducing those forces, including mind/body work, for exampleEquation:Stress is the sum of Resistance and Applied Force, or S=R+AFAssume that the amount of Resistance and Applied Force can be rated on a scale of 1-20Therefore, if Resistance = 8, and Applied

Force = 3, then Stress equals 11 Thus, if we could reduce Resistance on the scale (say to 1), then Stress would be reduced to 4 (much lower when resistance is lowered)Don't know if this helps or muddies the water...Helena > stress = resistance + applied force OR X=8+3 OR X=11BUT IF resistance is reduced to 1, then stress = 4> It might also be said that if the body, instead, applies energy or work in effort to reduce the applied external force, that energy or work IS resistance and thus the stress also increases. X= (8+5) +3; X=16 Re: stress Bill, can you or dumb it down some? Have no idea what is being said. Thanks,TheresaFor other ACT materials and list serves see www.contextualpsychology.orgIf you do not wish to belong to ACT_for_the_Public, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to ACT_for_the_Public-unsubscribe MARKETPLACEGet great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.Stay on

top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of

Use. -- A. Stone, MSW,LISW-CP210 West Stone AveGreenville, SC 29609(864) 238-2003castonemsw@...www.betterthinking-betterlife.com

Guest guest

Hi TheresaIt still seems clear to me that when wrote "drop the rope" she was not directing that at you, but was referring to her original posts putting stress etc into a mathematical formula. I was referring to that sentence because that is the one you quoted in your post in reply to .The first sentence is clearly directed at you because uses your name, and in fact I never stated that it wasn't, I was only referring to the sentence that included the words "drop the rope" (see above). That first sentence wasn't quoted by you in the post to which I was referring. I seem to recall a lot of posts here recently where you have been very reactive to what people are writing. You seem to be seeing insults where none are obviously intended. I certainly wasn't rude to you in my posts yet you are rude and sarcastic in return. I will more reluctant to interact with you in future.KateHi Kate,Well, since you chose to stick your nose in, can you use your wise and all knowing sniffer to help me understand just which part here is according to you NOT directed at me?Terry, I'm sorry if it was confusing. My brain works in strange ways. It likes logic and explanations. Maybe someone else might want to try different words. And as you continue with sticking your nose in, might you clarify which part of this is not directed at me?sure, I'm capable of plain words. All I was saying was "Drop the rope". I just wanted to see what people thought about another way of looking at the concept. And I got it, some like it and some really don't. OK. Re: the part that felt to me like it was "go away"..I was speaking directly to . I made it clear it was MY felt experience, not a matter of fact or fiction. Nor did I ask for a vote from others here on who liked that interpretation, what others thought of it, or whether they thought it "real" or not. Big noses indeed. To: ACT_for_the_Public Sent: Fri, June 3, 2011 3:57:05 PMSubject: Re: Re: stress Sticking my nose in here but...Theresa, you seem to have interpreted 's words below as directed at you, but as far as I can tell she was just referring to the original posts with the mathematical formulas, in other words the formulas themselves were just a new way of expressing the idea of "drop the rope", ie looking at it through a mathematical framework And if you read her other words below: I actually wrote another explanation trying to make it more clear but erased it because it still looked pretty much the same as the first, so I erased it and asked for help. There's no sense of "go away" here, but just saying that she was finding it difficult to come up with another way of explaining it and so was hoping someone would step in to do that, which is what Helena did.CheersKate with regard to what you write here:"sure, I'm capable of plain words. All I was saying was "Drop the rope". I just wanted to see what people thought about another way of looking at the concept. And I got it, some like it and some really don't."How could I possibly drop a rope I had not even been holding? Imagine a kid saying hey I want to play, can you please help me some here, explain this game that seems important and fun and you're taking time to write about on a public board called 'ACT for the public' to me? And the other kid saying: "No, afraid I can't..my brain doesn't work that way. Maybe someone else can. Now please go away so I can carry on."That's what it felt like for me.TheresaTo: ACT_for_the_Public Sent: Fri, June 3, 2011 10:16:33 AMSubject: Re: Re: stress Thanks so much, Helena, for helping me out with the clarification. . I actually wrote another explanation trying to make it more clear but erased it because it still looked pretty much the same as the first, so I erased it and asked for help. sure, I'm capable of plain words. All I was saying was "Drop the rope". I just wanted to see what people thought about another way of looking at the concept. And I got it, some like it and some really don't. OK. Here's the final version of my response (sorry for the mis-post): Definition of terms:S - Stress: Whatever we perceive as stressfulAF - Applied Force: applied external forces - on our body/psyche (my question: do not these forces also stem from internal sources, such as thoughts?)R - Resistance: the effort to reduce applied external forces; any energy expended for the purpose of reducing those forces, including mind/body work, for exampleEquation:Stress is the sum of Resistance and Applied Force, or S=R+AFAssume that the amount of Resistance and Applied Force can be rated on a scale of 1-20Therefore, if Resistance = 8, and Applied Force = 3, then Stress equals 11 Thus, if we could reduce Resistance on the scale (say to 1), then Stress would be reduced to 4 (much lower when resistance is lowered)Don't know if this helps or muddies the water...Helena > stress = resistance + applied force OR X=8+3 OR X=11BUT IF resistance is reduced to 1, then stress = 4> It might also be said that if the body, instead, applies energy or work in effort to reduce the applied external force, that energy or work IS resistance and thus the stress also increases. X= (8+5) +3; X=16 Re: stress Bill, can you or dumb it down some? Have no idea what is being said. Thanks,TheresaFor other ACT materials and list serves see www.contextualpsychology.orgIf you do not wish to belong to ACT_for_the_Public, you may unsubscribe by sending an email to ACT_for_the_Public-unsubscribe MARKETPLACEGet great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use. -- A. Stone, MSW,LISW-CP210 West Stone AveGreenville, SC 29609(864) 238-2003castonemsw@...www.betterthinking-betterlife.com

Guest guest

Hmm food for thought, Lou. In the context of a forum, it just means that I will tend not to respond to their posts or comment on threads where there is the potential for conflict with them. I don't come here to be insulted, so I think it's quite reasonable to say that if people are rude to me, then I will pull back from interaction with them. That doesn't seem to be a particularly radical thing to say. I mean I don't mind robust debate at all, but I'm not happy to hang around when things get personal or nasty.It's like the snail poking his head out from his shell and having someone pull on his little stalks, he's going to be careful about when and where he sticks his head out again! Or only with people he knows (or trusts) aren't going to hurt him. Natural self defense.Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything, perhaps I could have chosen a better way of saying it, I don't know. I actually did try to come up with another way of saying it, unsuccessfully - obviously. Sorry if it came across like some sort of harridan.Kate"I will more reluctant to interact with you in future".Ouch! Gosh Kate, even if you feel that way in this very moment, is that comment in service of what you want in your relationships with people? That type of comment tells me that perhaps I am only acceptable if I behave the way others think I should, otherwise they will discard me...ouch...(it's not ok to make mistakes or to be...)....maybe there is another way to express the way you feel about that?Lou> >>> >>> >> Here's the final version of my response (sorry for the mis-post):> >>> >> Definition of terms:> >> S - Stress: Whatever we perceive as stressful> >>> >> AF - Applied Force: applied external forces - on our body/psyche > >> (my question: do not these forces also stem from internal sources, > >> such as thoughts?)> >>> >> R - Resistance: the effort to reduce applied external forces; any > >> energy expended for the purpose of reducing those forces, including > >> mind/body work, for example> >>> >> Equation:> >>> >> Stress is the sum of Resistance and Applied Force, or S=R+AF> >>> >> Assume that the amount of Resistance and Applied Force can be rated > >> on a scale of 1-20> >>> >> Therefore, if Resistance = 8, and Applied Force = 3, then Stress > >> equals 11> >>> >> Thus, if we could reduce Resistance on the scale (say to 1), then > >> Stress would be reduced to 4 (much lower when resistance is lowered)> >>> >> Don't know if this helps or muddies the water...> >>> >> Helena> >>> >>> >> > stress = resistance + applied force OR X=8+3 OR X=11BUT IF > >> resistance is reduced to 1, then stress = 4> >> > It might also be said that if the body, instead, applies energy > >> or work in effort to reduce the applied external force, that energy > >> or work IS resistance and thus the stress also increases. X= (8+5) > >> +3; X=16> >>> >>> >> Re: stress> >>> >>> >>> >> Bill, can you or dumb it down some? Have no idea what is > >> being said.> >>> >> Thanks,> >> Theresa> >>> >>> >> For other ACT materials and list serves see www.contextualpsychology.org> >>> >> If you do not wish to belong to ACT_for_the_Public, you may> >> unsubscribe by sending an email to> >> ACT_for_the_Public-unsubscribe > >> MARKETPLACE> >> Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers > >> Center.> >>> >>> >> Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're > >> on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.> >>> >>> >>> >> Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use> >> .> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> -- > >> A. Stone, MSW,LISW-CP> >> 210 West Stone Ave> >> Greenville, SC 29609> >> > >> castonemsw@...> >> www.betterthinking-betterlife.com> >>> >> >> >>