RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New to group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Howdy . Welcome to the group! Shirley S wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the group. I was dx'ed with ms in Feb 2002. I amcurrently on copaxone, paxil, baclofen. Right now, I'm on short termdisability from my job as a security officer. It was becoming too hardwalking hills and climbing stairs. I have always felt that there wassomething really wrong with me, but never followed up on it. Mydisability is increasing rather quickly, too quickly for my liking,but, I'm trying to deal with it. Nice to meet you all.lisa

Guest guest

Welcome .

Margot

> Hi, I'm new to the group. I was dx'ed with ms in Feb 2002. I am

> currently on copaxone, paxil, baclofen. Right now, I'm on short

term

> disability from my job as a security officer. It was becoming too

hard

> walking hills and climbing stairs. I have always felt that there

was

> something really wrong with me, but never followed up on it. My

> disability is increasing rather quickly, too quickly for my liking,

> but, I'm trying to deal with it. Nice to meet you all.

>

> lisa

Guest guest

Hi I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce my self. I'm Ken and live in CT. Need to loose some serious weight. And I do enjoy the treadmill. Thought I would join this group for a little insight. Enjoy the weekend. Ken Regards, Ken

Guest guest

Welcome to the group, Ken. This is a wonderfully supportive group in which we all help one another. Hope you find the group interesting and will join in with us.

Elaine

Hi

I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce my self.

I'm Ken and live in CT. Need to loose some serious weight. And I do enjoy the treadmill. Thought I would join this group for a little insight.

Enjoy the weekend. Ken

Regards, Ken

Guest guest

welcome Ken.

How often are you excercising? i'm only managing my 10,000 daily

steps right now, hopefully once this 2nd cold is over, i'll get back

to the elliptical which is my favorite gym machine.

laurie

>

> Hi

> I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce my self.

>

> I'm Ken and live in CT. Need to loose some serious weight. And I

do enjoy the treadmill. Thought I would join this group for a little

insight.

>

> Enjoy the weekend. Ken

>

>

> Regards, Ken

>

Guest guest

Hi Laurie I put about 7 miles on the treadmill every week, spread over 4 - 5 sessions. I have no idea how many steps that is???? Do you; ballpark? I've never tried the elliptical at the gym - looks hard is it? Got to run off to work. Kenspamthekat wrote: welcome Ken. How often are you excercising? i'm only managing my 10,000 dailysteps right now, hopefully once this 2nd cold is over, i'll get backto the elliptical which is my

favorite gym machine.laurie>> Hi> I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce my self. > > I'm Ken and live in CT. Need to loose some serious weight. And Ido enjoy the treadmill. Thought I would join this group for a littleinsight.> > Enjoy the weekend. Ken> > > Regards, Ken> Regards, Ken

Guest guest

i'm not sure about the miles, a while back i posted how much my

pedometer measured for a 1/2 mile, but i cant recall now.

the elliptical sure works some muscles that you dont usually use

unless you're doing hills or steps. it was really hard at first and

not bad now. the first time i only managed 3 to 5 minutes and i

worked my up over 2 weeks until i could do 30 minutes. i sure was sore

for a little while, but i got used to it pretty fast.

i like to walk, but treadmills make me dizzy so i avoid them most of

the time.

laurie

> >

> > Hi

> > I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce my self.

> >

> > I'm Ken and live in CT. Need to loose some serious weight. And I

> do enjoy the treadmill. Thought I would join this group for a little

> insight.

> >

> > Enjoy the weekend. Ken

> >

> >

> > Regards, Ken

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Regards, Ken

>

Guest guest

Some of the most powerful people I've know have been softspoken.

I'm curious to hear how that worked for you- and how long ago was it. Misophonia has probably been around longer than I thought. Thanks:) To: "Soundsensitivity "

<Soundsensitivity > Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:58 PM Subject: Re: Re: New to group

I went to Primal Therapy for a number of years in Los Angeles. There were a number of people there with 4S. It is more common than I ever thought. To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:40 AM Subject: Re: New to

group

Thank you Mike for your kind words. I believe the guilt and shame and even the severity of the symptoms will decrease now that I've realized I'm not alone in this.

I have been seeing a therapist for over three years and have only vaguely mentioned these symptoms even though they affect so many areas of my life. I was afraid she wouldn't take them seriously, think I was exaggerating, etc. After finding this site I was given the courage to talk about 4S with her yesterday and she was amazingly supportive. She explained that she has had several other patients that have suffered with the same thing, but didn't realize there was a diagnosis or name for it. I think we are all on the right track with raising awareness.

Thank you again

>

> Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity with your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms very concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this has helped tremendously as I am sure it will for you.Â

> Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe accommodate us will be very helpful. Â

> Good luck.Â

> Mike

> Â

> Â

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> To: Soundsensitivity

> Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:32 PM

> Subject: New to group

>

>

> Â

> Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and felt a sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have harbored a lot of guilt

> regarding my extreme responses to certain sounds. My mother used to call me

> "Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is described as

> "sweet," "nice," etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not able to

> escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try to calm

> down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes I am so

> scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The sounds

> include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls bouncing, paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot shaking also sends me over the edge.

>

> I love life and want to enjoy to the fullest. However, I avoid eating with

> friends because the anxiety I feel around the noises outweighs the need for

> socialization. I take the train at times I know it won't be crowded and make

> sure I am sitting out of eyesight of others. If someone is walking behind me

> with their heels clicking, I run to the other side of the street.

>

> All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as guilt and

> embarrassment. I have never shared this with anyone because it seems such an

> odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to share

> this with others and validate what I've been experiencing since adolescence.

>

> Thank you!

>

=

Guest guest

Hi all:

I also find interesting the relationship between emotional abuse/trauma. It

really does make sense. I recently took a course called Therapeutic Listening

by Sheila Frick. Misphonia came up as a question, but she didn't really go into

it (this is how I first learned of the syndrome). However, in the course, she

explained the anatomy and process of hearing and of the various connections this

sense has on our arousal levels, memories, limbic system, and emotions. She

also spoke about the process of habituation and how some people habituate to

sounds and others can't. With such strong connections to this " emotional

center " of the nervous system, I think it makes perfect, physiological sense

that emotional trauma can be related to this syndrome.

I ended up buying the headset and CDs to try on myself, hoping it will relieve

the symptoms. She has seen results with children who have auditory

sensitivities, but has not used it on people with misphonia. I am crossing my

fingers that it will help!

Good luck and much thanks to everyone

>

> >

>

> > Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity with

your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms very

concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this has helped

tremendously as I am sure it will for you. 

>

> > Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of

coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe accommodate us

will be very helpful.  

>

> > Good luck. 

>

> > Mike

>

> >  

>

> >  

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > ________________________________

>

> > From: ieris2 <ieris2@>

>

> > To: Soundsensitivity

>

> > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:32 PM

>

> > Subject: New to group

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >  

>

> > Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and felt a

sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have harbored a lot

of guilt

>

> > regarding my extreme responses to certain sounds. My mother used to call me

>

> > " Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is described as

>

> > " sweet, " " nice, " etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not able

to

>

> > escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try to

calm

>

> > down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes I am

so

>

> > scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The

sounds

>

> > include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls bouncing,

paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot shaking also sends

me over the edge.

>

> >

>

> > I love life and want to enjoy to the fullest. However, I avoid eating with

>

> > friends because the anxiety I feel around the noises outweighs the need for

>

> > socialization. I take the train at times I know it won't be crowded and make

>

> > sure I am sitting out of eyesight of others. If someone is walking behind me

>

> > with their heels clicking, I run to the other side of the street.

>

> >

>

> > All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as guilt

and

>

> > embarrassment. I have never shared this with anyone because it seems such an

>

> > odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to

>

> > this with others and validate what I've been experiencing since adolescence.

>

> >

>

> > Thank you!

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> =

>

Guest guest

This topic has come up before.  While there are many with misophonia who were abused (either emotionally or physically), there are many who were not abused.  I think that if you look at the general population, the percent who were abused is similar to the percent of misophonia sufferers who were abused. Misophonia is a physiological condition that causes psychological overlays when for the person trying to deal with it. My daughter was not abused in any way.  Plus, the emotional abuse does not explain why so many family members (many estranged) have it. Just my opinion. From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of ieris2Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:07 PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: New to group Hi all: I also find interesting the relationship between emotional abuse/trauma. It really does make sense. I recently took a course called Therapeutic Listening by Sheila Frick. Misphonia came up as a question, but she didn't really go into it (this is how I first learned of the syndrome). However, in the course, she explained the anatomy and process of hearing and of the various connections this sense has on our arousal levels, memories, limbic system, and emotions. She also spoke about the process of habituation and how some people habituate to sounds and others can't. With such strong connections to this " emotional center " of the nervous system, I think it makes perfect, physiological sense that emotional trauma can be related to this syndrome.I ended up buying the headset and CDs to try on myself, hoping it will relieve the symptoms. She has seen results with children who have auditory sensitivities, but has not used it on people with misphonia. I am crossing my fingers that it will help!Good luck and much thanks to everyone> > >> > > Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity with your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms very concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this has helped tremendously as I am sure it will for you. > > > Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe accommodate us will be very helpful.  > > > Good luck. > > > Mike> > >  > > >  > > > > > > > > > ________________________________> > > From: ieris2 <ieris2@>> > > To: Soundsensitivity > > > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:32 PM> > > Subject: New to group> > > > > > > > >  > > > Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and felt a sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have harbored a lot of guilt> > > regarding my extreme responses to certain sounds. My mother used to call me> > > " Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is described as> > > " sweet, " " nice, " etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not able to> > > escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try to calm> > > down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes I am so> > > scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The sounds> > > include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls bouncing, paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot shaking also sends me over the edge.> > > > > > I love life and want to enjoy to the fullest. However, I avoid eating with> > > friends because the anxiety I feel around the noises outweighs the need for> > > socialization. I take the train at times I know it won't be crowded and make> > > sure I am sitting out of eyesight of others. If someone is walking behind me> > > with their heels clicking, I run to the other side of the street.> > > > > > All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as guilt and> > > embarrassment. I have never shared this with anyone because it seems such an> > > odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to share> > > this with others and validate what I've been experiencing since adolescence.> > > > > > Thank you!> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > =>

Guest guest

I agree. I don't think that abuse of any kind, plays a role in why someone has Misophonia. I do think however that some trauma may make it turn on, where it may have stayed dormant otherwise. But this is just conjecture on my part. Mike To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 3:56 PM Subject: RE: Re: New to group

This topic has come up before. While there are many with misophonia who were abused (either emotionally or physically), there are many who were not abused. I think that if you look at the general population, the percent who were abused is similar to the percent of misophonia sufferers who were abused. Misophonia is a physiological condition that causes psychological overlays when for the person trying to deal with it. My daughter was not

abused in any way. Plus, the emotional abuse does not explain why so many family members (many estranged) have it. Just my opinion. From: Soundsensitivity [mailto:Soundsensitivity ] On Behalf Of ieris2Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:07

PMTo: Soundsensitivity Subject: Re: New to group Hi all: I also find interesting the relationship between emotional abuse/trauma. It really does make sense. I recently took a course called Therapeutic Listening by Sheila Frick. Misphonia came up as a question, but she didn't really go into it (this is how I first learned of the syndrome). However, in the course, she explained the anatomy and process of hearing and of the various connections this sense has on our arousal levels, memories, limbic system, and emotions. She also spoke about the process of habituation and how some people habituate to sounds and others can't. With such strong connections to this "emotional center" of

the nervous system, I think it makes perfect, physiological sense that emotional trauma can be related to this syndrome.I ended up buying the headset and CDs to try on myself, hoping it will relieve the symptoms. She has seen results with children who have auditory sensitivities, but has not used it on people with misphonia. I am crossing my fingers that it will help!Good luck and much thanks to everyone> > >> > > Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity with your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms very concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this has helped tremendously as I am sure it will for you. > > > Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe accommodate us will be very helpful.  > > > Good

luck. > > > Mike> > >  > > >  > > > > > > > > > ________________________________> > > From: ieris2 <ieris2@>> > > To: Soundsensitivity > > > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:32 PM> > > Subject: New to group> > > > > > > > >  > > > Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and felt a sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have harbored a lot of guilt> > > regarding my extreme responses to certain sounds. My mother used to call

me> > > "Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is described as> > > "sweet," "nice," etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not able to> > > escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try to calm> > > down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes I am so> > > scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The sounds> > > include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls bouncing, paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot shaking also sends me over the edge.> > > > > > I love life and want to enjoy to the fullest. However, I avoid eating with> > > friends because the anxiety I feel around the noises outweighs the need for> > > socialization. I take

the train at times I know it won't be crowded and make> > > sure I am sitting out of eyesight of others. If someone is walking behind me> > > with their heels clicking, I run to the other side of the street.> > > > > > All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as guilt and> > > embarrassment. I have never shared this with anyone because it seems such an> > > odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to share> > > this with others and validate what I've been experiencing since adolescence.> > > > > > Thank you!> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > =>

Guest guest

I have found that any type of stress makes the symptoms worse. But I was not abused as a child in any way shape or form. And I was fine emotionally until these symptoms began when I was like 9. At that point, then I started being teased, a form of emotional abuse, by classmates because of the symptoms I showed. So I would have to say in my case, the symptoms came first and caused emotional problems To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:06 PM Subject: Re: New to group

Hi all:

I also find interesting the relationship between emotional abuse/trauma. It really does make sense. I recently took a course called Therapeutic Listening by Sheila Frick. Misphonia came up as a question, but she didn't really go into it (this is how I first learned of the syndrome). However, in the course, she explained the anatomy and process of hearing and of the various connections this sense has on our arousal levels, memories, limbic system, and emotions. She also spoke about the process of habituation and how some people habituate to sounds and others can't. With such strong connections to this "emotional center" of the nervous system, I think it makes perfect, physiological sense that emotional trauma can be related to this syndrome.

I ended up buying the headset and CDs to try on myself, hoping it will relieve the symptoms. She has seen results with children who have auditory sensitivities, but has not used it on people with misphonia. I am crossing my fingers that it will help!

>

> >

>

> > Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity with your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms very concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this has helped tremendously as I am sure it will for you.ÂÂ

>

> > Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe accommodate us will be very helpful. ÂÂ

>

> > Good luck.ÂÂ

>

> > Mike

>

> > ÂÂ

>

> > ÂÂ

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > ÂÂ

>

> > Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and felt a sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have harbored a lot of guilt

>

>

> > "Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is described as

>

> > "sweet," "nice," etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not able to

>

> > escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try to calm

>

> > down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes I am so

>

> > scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The sounds

>

> > include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls bouncing, paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot shaking also sends me over the edge.

>

> >

>

>

>

> > socialization. I take the train at times I know it won't be crowded and make

>

> > sure I am sitting out of eyesight of others. If someone is walking behind me

>

>

> >

>

> > All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as guilt and

>

> > embarrassment. I have never shared this with anyone because it seems such an

>

> > odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to share

>

> > this with others and validate what I've been experiencing since adolescence.

>

> >

>

> > Thank you!

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> =

>

Guest guest

I like the way you put it Kathy: " Misophonia is a physiological condition that

causes psychological overlays when for the person trying to deal with it. "

I can't imagine that abuse CAUSES the misophonia, but I think because of the

relationship hearing has to the emotional center, experiences that cause stress

or anxiety can in some cases " turn on " as Mike says, or worsen Misophonia.

Thanks everyone for sharing and exploring. I wish there were more neurological

or brain imaging studies out there!

> >

> > >

> >

> > > Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity

> with your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms

> very concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this

> has helped tremendously as I am sure it will for you.ÂÂ

> >

> > > Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of

> coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe

> accommodate us will be very helpful. ÂÂ

> >

> > > Good luck.ÂÂ

> >

> > > Mike

> >

> > > ÂÂ

> >

> > > ÂÂ

> >

> > >

> >

> > >

> >

> > > ________________________________

> >

> > > From: ieris2 <ieris2@>

> >

> > > To: Soundsensitivity

> <mailto:Soundsensitivity%40yahoogroups.com>

> >

> > > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:32 PM

> >

> > > Subject: New to group

> >

> > >

> >

> > >

> >

> > > ÂÂ

> >

> > > Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and

> felt a sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have

> harbored a lot of guilt

> >

> > > regarding my extreme responses to certain sounds. My mother used to call

> me

> >

> > > " Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is

> described as

> >

> > > " sweet, " " nice, " etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not

> able to

> >

> > > escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try

> to calm

> >

> > > down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes

> I am so

> >

> > > scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The

> sounds

> >

> > > include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls

> bouncing, paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot

> shaking also sends me over the edge.

> >

> > >

> >

> > > I love life and want to enjoy to the fullest. However, I avoid eating

> with

> >

> > > friends because the anxiety I feel around the noises outweighs the need

> for

> >

> > > socialization. I take the train at times I know it won't be crowded and

> make

> >

> > > sure I am sitting out of eyesight of others. If someone is walking

> behind me

> >

> > > with their heels clicking, I run to the other side of the street.

> >

> > >

> >

> > > All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as

> guilt and

> >

> > > embarrassment. I have never shared this with anyone because it seems

> such an

> >

> > > odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to

> share

> >

> > > this with others and validate what I've been experiencing since

> adolescence.

> >

> > >

> >

> > > Thank you!

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > =

> >

>

Guest guest

I'm going to have to agree with Lou-Ellen, I didn't have any sort of abuse or trauma to cause this problem. The biggest trauma in my life came years after I started to notice sounds in big group settings. It's gotten worse since then and stress really does make it worse. To: "Soundsensitivity " <Soundsensitivity > Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 7:34 PM Subject: Re: Re: New to group

I have found that any type of stress makes the symptoms worse. But I was not abused as a child in any way shape or form. And I was fine emotionally until these symptoms began when I was like 9. At that point, then I started being teased, a form of emotional abuse, by classmates because of the symptoms I showed. So I would have to say in my case, the symptoms came first and caused emotional problems To:

Soundsensitivity Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:06 PM Subject: Re: New to group

Hi all:

I also find interesting the relationship between emotional abuse/trauma. It really does make sense. I recently took a course called Therapeutic Listening by Sheila Frick. Misphonia came up as a question, but she didn't really go into it (this is how I first learned of the syndrome). However, in the course, she explained the anatomy and process of hearing and of the various connections this sense has on our arousal levels, memories, limbic system, and emotions. She also spoke about the process of habituation and how some people habituate to sounds and others can't. With such strong connections to this "emotional center" of the nervous system, I think it makes perfect, physiological sense that emotional trauma can be related to this syndrome.

I ended up buying the headset and CDs to try on myself, hoping it will relieve the symptoms. She has seen results with children who have auditory sensitivities, but has not used it on people with misphonia. I am crossing my fingers that it will help!

>

> >

>

> > Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity with your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms very concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this has helped tremendously as I am sure it will for you.ÂÂ

>

> > Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe accommodate us will be very helpful. ÂÂ

>

> > Good luck.ÂÂ

>

> > Mike

>

> > ÂÂ

>

> > ÂÂ

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > ÂÂ

>

> > Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and felt a sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have harbored a lot of guilt

>

>

> > "Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is described as

>

> > "sweet," "nice," etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not able to

>

> > escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try to calm

>

> > down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes I am so

>

> > scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The sounds

>

> > include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls bouncing, paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot shaking also sends me over the edge.

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

>

> > All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as guilt and

>

>

> > odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to share

>

>

> >

>

> > Thank you!

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> =

>

Guest guest

I was diagnosed with social anxiety years ago and believe that anxiety may play a role in misophonia. Does anyone else out there have anxiety related disorders? To: Soundsensitivity Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 9:51 PM Subject: Re: New to group

I like the way you put it Kathy: "Misophonia is a physiological condition that causes psychological overlays when for the person trying to deal with it."

I can't imagine that abuse CAUSES the misophonia, but I think because of the relationship hearing has to the emotional center, experiences that cause stress or anxiety can in some cases "turn on" as Mike says, or worsen Misophonia.

Thanks everyone for sharing and exploring. I wish there were more neurological or brain imaging studies out there!

> >

> > >

> >

> > > Welcome to the group. You are among friends who can totally identity

> with your feelings and thoughts. You summed up all of the classic symptoms

> very concisely and eloquently. Just knowing that I was not alone with this

> has helped tremendously as I am sure it will for you.ÂÂ

> >

> > > Hopefully we can find a cure someday, but for now just finding ways of

> coping and getting the general population to understand and maybe

> accommodate us will be very helpful. ÂÂ

> >

> > > Good luck.ÂÂ

> >

> > > Mike

> >

> > > ÂÂ

> >

> > > ÂÂ

> >

> > >

> >

> > >

> >

> > > ________________________________

> >

> > > From: ieris2 <ieris2@>

> >

> > > To: Soundsensitivity

> <mailto:Soundsensitivity%40yahoogroups.com>

> >

> > > Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 10:32 PM

> >

> > > Subject: New to group

> >

> > >

> >

> > >

> >

> > > ÂÂ

> >

> > > Thank goodness for this group! I first heard the term misophonia and

> felt a sense of validation. I've grown up thinking I was crazy and have

> harbored a lot of guilt

> >

> > > regarding my extreme responses to certain sounds. My mother used to call

> me

> >

> > > "Jekyll and Hyde. " In general I am an easy going person who is

> described as

> >

> > > "sweet," "nice," etc. However, certain sounds set me off and if I'm not

> able to

> >

> > > escape the sound I feel an inner rage that scares me. The harder I try

> to calm

> >

> > > down, the worse it gets. I start feeling panicky and trapped. Sometimes

> I am so

> >

> > > scared that I may actually push or elbow a person inappropriately. The

> sounds

> >

> > > include: People eating, foot steps, smacking gum, coughing, balls

> bouncing, paper bags rattling. In addition, visual stimuli such as foot

> shaking also sends me over the edge.

> >

> > >

> >

> > > I love life and want to enjoy to the fullest. However, I avoid eating

> with

> >

> > > friends because the anxiety I feel around the noises outweighs the need

> for

> >

> > > socialization. I take the train at times I know it won't be crowded and

> make

> >

> > > sure I am sitting out of eyesight of others. If someone is walking

> behind me

> >

> > > with their heels clicking, I run to the other side of the street.

> >

> > >

> >

> > > All of this has contributed to loneliness and depression as well as

> guilt and

> >

> > > embarrassment. I have never shared this with anyone because it seems

> such an

> >

> > > odd, unlikely, unbelievable thing. I am so thankful to have the space to

> share

> >