Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Fish oil

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Monograph

Fish Oil

Introduction

Many well-recognized problems are associated with excessive intake of dietary fat, including obesity, insulin resistance, coronary heart disease, and some forms of cancer. While intakes of saturated, trans, and arachidonic fatty acids have been linked to the development of chronic disease, research shows omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids, specifically fish oils, are essential in the prevention and treatment of disease.

Biochemistry

Fish oils are comprised of the essential fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, C20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, C22:6n-3). Both EPA and DHA fall into an even larger category of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). Compared to saturated fats, PUFAs are more readily used for energy when initially ingested. Increasing the degree of unsaturation at a given carbon chain length increases the relative mobility of stored fat, making PUFAs more bioavailable.1 EPA and DHA come from the PUFA, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and are classified as omega-3 fatty acids. The nomenclature of an omega-3 fatty acid indicates that the first carbon-carbon double bond occurs at the third carbon atom from the methyl end of the molecule.2 Through a series of enzymatic reactions, the 18:3 PUFA is converted first to EPA and then finally to DHA. Both EPA and DHA are deemed conditionally essential as the body can synthesize them from ALA. However, while consumption of ALA can lead to significant increases in tissue EPA, it does not do so for DHA.3 There are several circumstances where the requirements for DHA greatly exceed the rate of synthesis, making supplementation necessary.

Mechanism of Action

EPA and DHA compete with arachidonic acid (AA) for the enzyme cyclo-oxygenase. EPA is converted by platelet cyclo-oxygenase to thromboxane A3 (TXA3), which is only a very weak vasoconstrictor, unlike thromboxane A2 (TXA2), which is formed by the action of cyclo-oxygenase on AA and is a strong vasoconstrictor. However, prostacyclin I3 (PGI3), formed from EPA in the endothelium, is as potent a vasodilator and inhibitor of platelet aggregation as is protacyclin I2 (PGI2) formed from AA. The net effect, therefore, of an increased dietary EPA:AA ratio is relative vasodilation and platelet aggregation inhibition.2 EPA yields the 5-series of leukotrienes, which are only weakly chemotactic. A relative reduction in chemotaxis might be expected to be antiatherogenic. Fish oil decreases both very low density lipoproteins (VLDLs) and triglycerides due to inhibition of hepatic triglyceride synthesis. Because VLDL is a precursor to LDL, a reduction in LDL cholesterol is seen in some patients with hypertriglyceridemia; however, fish oil does not appear to lower plasma cholesterol in subjects with hypercholesterolemia.4,5

Clinical Indications

Arrhythmias

A series of animal studies by McLennan et al found that diets supplemented with tuna oil (n-3 PUFA) significantly reduced the incidence and severity of arrhythmias, preventing ventricular fibrillation during both coronary artery occlusion and reperfusion. These studies also found that severity of arrhythmias was significantly worsened by a diet supplemented with saturated fat.6-8

Coronary Heart Disease

The beneficial effects of fish oil on coronary heart disease (CHD) have been researched for more than two decades, particularly since the landmark study of Greenland Eskimos showed lower mortality rates from cardiovascular disease.9 Fish oil has important metabolic effects, such as inhibiting platelet aggregation and lowering serum triglyceride levels, which could play a role in the prevention of CHD. A prospective study of European men found an inverse association between fatty fish consumption (but not lean or total fish consumption) and 20-year CHD mortality.10 Fish oil has successfully been proven to reduce serum triglyceride levels in humans,11 although the majority of studies have been conducted on men. More recently, a study has been conducted on the effects of n-3 fatty acid supplementation, specifically fish oil, on postmenopausal women either receiving or not receiving hormone replacement therapy (HRT). The fish oil supplement significantly reduced serum triglyceride concentrations by an average of 26 percent in both HRT-status groups, without affecting other lipid variables. The effect was estimated to decrease CHD risk by 27 percent in postmenopausal women.12 A study by et al suggested fitness status, in addition to fish oil supplementation, may be an important factor in determining postprandial triglyceride levels. Sixty minutes of exercise, in addition to fish oil supplementation, decreased plasma triglyceride levels by 33 percent. It has been suggested that fish oil may inhibit lipoprotein lipase activity via its effect on insulin release.13

Cancer

Epidemiological, experimental, and mechanistic data implicate n-6 PUFAs as stimulators and long chain n-3 PUFAs (specifically fish oil) as inhibitors of development and progression of a range of human cancers.14,15 Studies have found the antitumor effect of EPA is mainly related to its suppression of cell proliferation. On the other hand, the effect of DHA appears to be related to its ability to induce apoptosis.16,17 The dietary n-3/n-6 fatty acid ratio, rather than the quantity administered, appears to be the principle factor in the antitumor effect of n-3 PUFAs. An effective ratio appears to be in the range of 1.8-1.9.16 EPA and DHA supplementation, in the form of fish oil, have also been found to suppress both breast and colon cancer tumor growth and metastasis.18,19

Cognitive Function

AA and DHA accrue rapidly in the prenatal human brain during the third trimester and the early postnatal period when the rate of brain growth is maximal and most vulnerable to nutritional deficiencies. Postnatal deficiencies of DHA have specifically been found to relate negatively to visual acuity, neurodevelopment, and behavior. In general, breast milk contains sufficient amounts of long chain PUFAs, including DHA, to meet these needs, assuming the maternal diet is adequate. A study examining breast milk and DHA content in Pakistani mothers versus Dutch mothers found significantly lower amounts of DHA which were directly correlated to the decreased amount of fish eaten in North Pakistan.20 There is also controversy at present over whether or not the infant formulas that contain only linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid are sufficient for brain development.21

Depression

In several observational studies, low concentrations of n-3 PUFAs were predictive of impulsive behaviors and greater severity of depression.22,23 Dopaminergic and serotonergic functions in the frontal cortex seem to be affected by the fatty acid composition of the diet. An n-3 deficiency may be related to catecholaminergic disturbances in depression.24 Recently it was demonstrated that EPA, DHA, and total n-3 fatty acid levels are significantly lower in red blood cell membranes of depressed subjects compared to the control group.25

Diabetes

Rats fed diets high in fish oil and with a low n-6/n-3 PUFA ratio maintained normal insulin action. Diets high in saturated and mono-unsaturated fats led to profound insulin resistance in numerous tissues, as did diets high in omega-6 PUFAs.1 Similar studies by Storlien et al found providing 5-10 percent of dietary energy from fish oil accelerated glucose uptake and maintenance of normal glucose metabolism, even at high levels of fat intake.26 More importantly, the ability of fish oil to enhance the rate of glycogen storage allows skeletal muscle to increase its uptake of glucose, even under conditions where fatty acid oxidation is accelerated.27 Fish oil enhances insulin secretion by incorporation of n-3 fatty acids into the plasma membrane to compete with AA production. This reduces the concentration of AA in the plasma membrane, decreasing the production of PGE2, which, in turn suppresses the production of cAMP, a well-known enhancer of glucose-induced insulin secretion. Consequently, fish oil enhances insulin secretion from b-cells, regulating blood sugar.28 The effect of fish oil on blood lipids should be evaluated in diabetics. A randomized trial conducted on 41 type 1 diabetics found 15 g fish oil per day resulted in statistically significant elevations in LDL cholesterol.29 It should be pointed out, however, that this study used a very high daily dose of fish oil ­ 15 g daily versus an average therapeutic dose of 5 g daily.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Clinical and biochemical studies have shown that fish oil, and to a lesser extent fish, can be used as a source of n-3 fatty acids in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Studies found EPA and DHA reduced eicosanoid and proinflammatory cytokines. The synthesis of interleukin 1b decreased by 20 percent after a diet high in omega-3 fatty acids was consumed for two weeks and was decreased further at the end of four weeks. The synthesis of tumor necrosis factor-alpha decreased 40 percent after two weeks on the diet; at four weeks there was no significant change.3

Other Therapeutic Considerations

Studies also show fish oil to be effective in the treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome, psoriasis, multiple sclerosis, and dysmenorrhea.30-33

Dosage

Clinical trials show dosages of 4g/day to be effective.13 Other literature suggests dosage ranges from 1-10g/day. The maximum tolerated dose was found to be 0.3g/kg per day of fish oil capsules. This means a 70-kg patient can tolerate up to 21 one-gram capsules/day.34

Safety

Fish oil supplementation is generally safe and well tolerated. Few side effects have been reported. Studies to determine the maximum tolerated dose and dose-limiting toxicities of fish oil showed side effects included gastrointestinal complaints, mainly diarrhea.34 Other areas of concern include heavy metal contamination found in fish, specifically mercury. In the general population, diet is the major source of mercury exposure, primarily through fish consumption.35 Quality control of products is an essential part of safety. To ensure quality, fish oil extractions must be purified by a process that removes environmental toxins such as dioxins, PCBs, and heavy metals.

References

1. Storlien LH, Higgins JA, TC, et al. Diet composition and insulin action in animal models. Br J Nutr 2000;83:S85-S90.

2. Singleton CB, BD, Cambell TJ. N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and cardiac mortality. Aust N Z J Med 2000;30;246-251.

3. Mantzioris E, Cleland LG, Gibson RA, et al. Biochemical effects of a diet containing foods enriched with n-3 fatty acids. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72:42-48.

4. Schectman G, Kaul S, Kissebah AH. Heterogeneity of low density lipoprotein responses to fish-oil supplementation in hypertriglyceridemic subjects. Arteriosclerosis 1989;9:345-354.

5. Wilt TJ, Lofgren RP, Nichol KL, et al. Fish oil supplementation does not lower plasma cholesterol in men with hypercholesterolaemia. Results of a randomized, placebo-controlled crossover study. Ann Intern Med 1989;111:900-905.

6. McLennan PL, Abeywardena MY, Charnock JS. Dietary fish oil prevents ventricular fibrillation following coronary artery occlusion and reperfusion. Am Heart J 1988;116:709-717.

7. McLennan PL, Abeywardena MY, Charnock JS. Dietary lipid modulation of ventricular fibrillation threshold in the marmoset monkey. Am Heart J 1992;123:1555-1561.

8. McLennan PL. Relative effects of dietary saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids on cardiac arrhythmias in rats. Am J Clin Nutr 1993;57:207-212.

9. Kromann N, Green A. Epidemiological studies in the Upernavik district, Greenland. Incidence of some chronic diseases 1950-1974. Acta Med Scand 1980;208:401-406.

10. Oomen CM, Feskens JE, Rasanen L, et al. Fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality in Finland, Italy, and The Netherlands. Am J Epidemiol 2000;151:999-1006.

11. WS. n-3 fatty acids and serum lipoproteins: human studies. Am J Clin Nutr 1997;65:1645S-1654S.

12. Stark KD, Park EJ, Maines VA, et al. Effect of a fish-oil concentrate on serum lipids in postmenopausal women receiving and not receiving hormone replacement therapy in a placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72:389-394.

13. TR, Fischer BA, Kist WB, et al. Effects of exercise and n-3 fatty acids on postprandial lipemia. J Appl Physiol 2000;88:2199-2204.

14. Bougnoux P. n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and cancer. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 1999;2:121-126.

15. de Deckere EA. Possible beneficial effect of fish and fish n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in breast and colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer Prev 1999;8:213-221.

16. Calviello G, Palozza P, Piccioni E, et al. Dietary supplementation with eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid inhibits growth of hepatocarcinoma 3924A in rats: effects on proliferation and apoptosis. Int J Cancer 1998;75:699-705.

17. Lai PB, Ross JA, Fearon KC, et al. Cell cycle arrest and induction of apoptosis in pancreatic cancer cells exposed to eicosapentaenoic acid in vitro. Br J Cancer 1996;74:1375-1383.

18. Rose DP, Connolly JM, Rayburn J, M. Influence of diets containing eicosapentaenoic or docosahexaenoic acid on growth and metastasis of breast cancer cells in nude mice. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995;87:587-592.

19. Kontogiannea M, Gupta A, Ntanios F, et al. omega-3 fatty acids decrease endothelial adhesion of human colorectal carcinoma cells. J Surg Res 2000;92:201-205.

20. Smit EN, Oelen EA, Seerat E, et al. Breast milk docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) correlates with DHA status of malnourished infants. Arch Dis Child 2000;82:493-494.

21. Wainwright P. Nutrition and behaviour: the role of n-3 fatty acids in cognitive function. Br J Nutr 2000;83:337-339.

22. Nettleton JA. Omega-3 fatty acids: comparison of plant and seafood sources in human nutrition. J Am Diet Assoc 199

Guest guest

Dear psy333che,

This is right on. A good reminder that I need to get over to Walgreens and

buy another bottle of cod liver oil. It really slows down my psoriasis.

Some of the other immediate benefits are: very strong eyes, supple skin,

less pain.

I haven't had any for a week but was taking a large tablespoon full every

morning. If I increased the dose to morning and night, my scalp cleared up,

but my lips would get real dry. Fish oil is great! It is much less

expensive by the bottle versus the gel pills.

Jeff

Colorado

rheumatic Fwd: Fish Oil

>

>

>

> To unsubscribe, email: rheumatic-unsubscribeegroups

>

>

Guest guest

It is best to get molecularly distilled fish oil because the toxins are

removed.

(RA 25+ years, AP since Nov. 97)

rheumatic fish oil

> Hi Group

> I was told by my Blood Pressure clinic to start taking " fish oil " pills.

> I know that a lot of you take these for RA , fibro etc.

> Any recommendations--I am in Canada BTW

> Thanks

> Gwen

>

>

>

> To unsubscribe, email: rheumatic-unsubscribeegroups

>

>

>

Guest guest

Today I took my son to the pediatric microneurosurgeon. Last year he had spinal

surgery. He also has autism. Anyway, she asked me if I'd noticed Mark doing

better since his surgery and we got on the topic of the EFAs. She was very

interested in hearing all about it and is going to look into the Nordic Naturals

website herself. It turns out one of her kids has speech delays. From the

neurosurgeon's standpoint today she was saying that it doesn't surprise her that

this would help our children because it probably strengthens the myelin sheath

that surround the nerve column of the spine and brain. I was telling her that I

have two of my kids on them now. I also told her that it seems to help my

daughter's coordination and gross motor skills (as I posted on this list a few

months back) Anyway, just thought someone may be interested to hear her point

of view since she's well educated with the neurological system.

Tammy

Guest guest

-Tammy,

I think it is awesome when the medical profession takes interest in

Supplementation! It still boggles my mind when I tell my son's story

and Efa's and still say " There is no scientific proof that it works "

So good for your son's Dr. and lucky for you! I do still wonder if

there is not scientific proof that it works why are so many foods and

infant formuala suddenly have these essential fatty acids? Hmmmmm!!!

Eileen

-- In @y..., " Tammy Sowell " <Tammy_S68@m...> wrote:

> Today I took my son to the pediatric microneurosurgeon. Last year

he had spinal surgery. He also has autism. Anyway, she asked me if

I'd noticed Mark doing better since his surgery and we got on the

topic of the EFAs. She was very interested in hearing all about it

and is going to look into the Nordic Naturals website herself. It

turns out one of her kids has speech delays. From the neurosurgeon's

standpoint today she was saying that it doesn't surprise her that

this would help our children because it probably strengthens the

myelin sheath that surround the nerve column of the spine and brain.

I was telling her that I have two of my kids on them now. I also

told her that it seems to help my daughter's coordination and gross

motor skills (as I posted on this list a few months back) Anyway,

just thought someone may be interested to hear her point of view

since she's well educated with the neurological system.

>

> Tammy

Guest guest

Eileen,

That's a very profound observation! I don't know why they would add it to

infant formula without any studies. Hopefully we will know much more about

these products in the next few years as more people start to take interest in

them. Our developmental pediatrician did tell me that he's recently started

telling his parents about using EFAs. If you knew this dr. you'd realize what a

miracle that is. His only concern is that the side effects of long-term use are

not known and that perhaps it may be linked to some cancers or something down

the road. I reminded him that we are trying to get through the here and now and

that this really helps us so if something like that came up many years down the

road we'd just have to face it when the time came. He agreed fully and

understood my point. But to me if it can help my autistic son wean off of

resperal and luvox and hopefully the adderall soon, it's WELL worth it!!!

Tammy

Guest guest

We have been using Trader Joes Omega Fatty Acid Fish Oil capsules

for a few months with no recent issues. According to Dr. Stoll's

book on Omega FA's , Trader Joe was listed among only 4 other

companies as a place to purchase high quality fish oil. So, I've

felt fairly confident in it's quality. I'd be interested in hearing

about any other's experiences with this brand.

Sheryl

-- In , " The Kramer Family "

<nmkramer@e...> wrote:

> HI,

>

> Just wondered if anyone else has seen this... I noticed that Dr.

Mercola's newsletter recently said he no longer

> recommends Costco's fish oil, as some of his patients had symptoms

return while using it. I had been using TraderJoe's

> brand fish oil for my daughter and she was getting obsessive, so I

substituted Carlson's (more $$, metals testing done

> on it) and she's quite a bit better now. I also did a couple of

other things (resumed allergy shots after holiday

> break, upped the tyrosine), so I'm wondering if anyone else's

child has gone downhill on cheapER fish oil? (None of it

> is cheap!).

>

> Any updates on the Omega RX pharmacutical-grade oil?

>

> Thanks, K.

Guest guest

Hi Carol,

It's interesting what you brought up.

Actually just yesterday Jennie ('s mom) from our group and I

got together again with the kids. We made a tape of Tanner and

saying the Pledge of Allegiance and took pictures to update

Tanner and 's talking page http://www.debtsmart.com/talk

Tanner also is reading now so we taped Tanner reading from one of

his Dr. Seuss books!! Now we just have to get all of that over to

Bilker so he can update the pages.

Jennie is originally from Florida, not a transplant like me -and

Florida is overall a state in which we have a few members like where

you live in NH -spread out not high numbers and clustered like it is

in states like NJ. Like Micha, the EFAs didn't work for Jennie's

apraxic daughter either. I posted this before in theory and

once again you will hear something you won't hear

anywhere else (until they catch up)

The EFAs appear to work for the majority of children because there

has been a dramatic increase, at least a 30 fold increase in our

children according to the US Department of Education stats vs only a

4 fold rise in autism even though that's the only one we hear

about. The rise in both/all is most likely due to environmental

damage of some sort combined with genetics, etc. There is a small

percentage of children that would have had apraxia anyway -apraxia

used to be rare. Apraxia is no longer rare -especially in highly

toxic and industrial states such as NJ, Ohio, California, Texas,

North Carolina and as this recent Associated Press article points

out for autism -South Dakota too (not that this is all of the high number

states)

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2003/06/23/news/state/sta04.t

xt But as we know -apraxia is the politically correct diagnosis

that will just as quickly spread to any other state or country as

well as just a child of any race, religion, nationality or economic

background -which is why this silence about apraxia is so baffling -

and outrageous. Why only talk about autism when autism is only a

small percentage of the much larger problem -apraxia.

From the feedback we just received already on the toxin/EFA

question -just about all of the members of our group are from toxic

areas -and just about all of our members have children that

responded to the EFAs. If you are not from a toxic area -there is a

above average chance that the EFAs will 'not' work for your child -

no matter what the dosage or formula of EFAs used. If I'm writing

something you disagree with -you are from an area that has low

toxins, very few children with apraxia living near you, and the EFAs

worked - please let me know -because we need to hear from you too.

This probably just means that we need to understand what caused the

apraxia in the rare percentage of children to be able to help them

more like how the EFAs are reported to work for almost all the

children now. In the meantime a multisensory approach of intensive

speech and occupational therapies is still recommended to all.

As far as Florida -we love it here! Hot? It's swimming and boating

weather -it's great. And as far as heat it's hotter now in NJ than

here if you can believe that -and there is just so much to do here -

it's like living in vacation land. Yesterday when Jennie and her

children were at my house we went swimming and then all went to Club

Med the vacation place for lots of fun, shows, and dancing. It was

a last minute get together. This Thursday we may meet Tammy and her

children at the Disney water parks if anyone else would like to join

us.

In addition to the obvious -Florida also has dolphin therapy and the

Upledger Institute here, as well as the weather for all year outdoor

activities -it's perfect for a child with global apraxia! (and 19

year old 's mom Robin from our group just let me know that

they may be moving to Florida too from PA!!)

=====

Guest guest

Hi , I agree with you completely, We might just be a rarity.

has made massive progress due to the efa's. Here is the rare

part, I looked up the toxins on the EPA site and we had quite a few

Toxic handler's here locally, but, Apraxia is not on the rampage

here. To the best of my knowledge there are only maybe only 5 kids

tops. Kind of made me wonder. There is also not a lot of knowledge

about Apraxia so it could be going undiagnosed. What do you think? I

live in Longview, Washington. I've wondered myself so any input would

be helpful. Thanks Crystal

Mom to KYle 7 Oral dyspraxia & sensory issues

- you are from an area that has low

toxins, very few children with apraxia living near you, and the EFAs

worked - please let me know -because we need to hear from you too.

Guest guest

My 6yrs old daughter Vicki has apraxia. I think I might start her on fish

oil. What product should I buy for her. Thanks in advance. :)

Carole and Vicki

Guest guest

You are a pioneer!!! You can tell these moms that they are already

putting DHA in to infant formula.

I feel the same as you: guilty about 'hiding' this wonderful

product. I do have many friends who now give their kids the fish

oils. Most of them had been using flax oil but made the switch

after I explained why I use ProEFA. Only 2 of these friends

actually have kids with speech disorders or delays.

I do love hearing about specialists who advocate the oils. If a

neuro believes in them... who shouldn't???

Pam

> I also have mentioned to any and all therapistsand/or doctors that

my

> children take Pro-EFA( and then try to explain in the next 30

seconds what it is).

> They also listen and then the subject changes. This has been

going on for

> almost 4 years now. The current SLP at Children's did question me

after one of

> their weekly sessions (I have twins with apraxia) that she noticed

that they

> were alittle off that day......I had not given them the Pro-EFA

for approx 3

> days.....their speech definitely gets " sloppier(?) " ....the words

seem to run

> together. The only dr. that is knowledgable (and is a believer)

about the EFAs is

> our neuro-developmental ped. He evens gives samples out to his

patients.

>

> When I sit in the speech waiting room I listen to the parents

talking to one

> another and sometimes I have to jump in (ok I have a big mouth

when it comes

> to our kids). Many of them call it developmental and it will go

away and

> insurances are not paying. I usually have to start off with

mentioning the Late

> Talker Book as it addresses many of the concerns that are being

> discussed.....then I have to throw in the Pro-EFA.....etc etc... I

also see them kind of

> looking at each other......like I have this concoction (sp?) that

I give my kids

> and how could a simple fish pill work. Sometimes it is as if I

feel guilty if I

> don't mention Pro-EFA to these parents as I feel it is an

injustice for them

> not to know about what has worked for -at least-my family and

perhaps if they

> knew about it and tried it they would see positive results. Maybe

one day it

> will be in those awful tasting baby vitamins--if not already??

>

> kathy nj

>

>

>

Guest guest

In a message dated 4/21/2004 5:18:51 PM Central Daylight Time,

siobhain@... writes:

Does anyone want to share some representative test results, or describe some

actual experiences with individual children that tried fish or flax oil?

Andy Cutler

My child started having horrible mood swings from highs to low and cycling

like crazy. Bipolar runs in my family as I have 1 brother with it and 2 nieces.

Whether this is caused by mercury or genetics I do not know.

However I started giving Nordich Naturals EPA fish oils balanced out with DHA

to meet the ratios to one another to duplicate the study I read about using

Fish Oil to treat bipolar illness. I also supplement with

phosphatidylacholine, Vit E, C. folic acid, B-stress complex.

I give 1900mg EPA and 700 DHA as this is the closest ratio to duplicate the

research study.

If I miss giving fish I soon within a couple of days start to see the mood

swings like crazy. Over emotional, manic behavior of no sleeping and very

hyper. It's clearly manic behavior having experience with my family.

I give the supplement and everything is okay. My son is 11. I hope fish oil

continues to hold him.

Guest guest

I replayed once to this already, but it didn't show up on the board,

so if there are two, I'm sorry! Also, this is a very old post, so

it may be a moot point by now. However, I have some BTDT

experience, and it coincides with my own question of the moment.

My son is 7 and in second grade. Upon finding out he was ADD-I in

K, I tried flax seed oil, and had no luck. Honestly, I did not try

it very long, though. After that we went to two low (10 mil 2x a

day) doses of generic Ritalin. On this, he attended much better.

But he'd get headaches with each afternoon dose. Thus we switched

to the lowest level of the slow release Ritalin (Concerta at 20 mil

once a day). The teacher said he wasn't attending as well as he did

on the Ritalin, so pdoc upped it to the next highest dose. I can't

remember that dose. He became like a child with Kanner's Autism.

This led to trying other stimulants, all with bad effects, then just

Strattera. For nine months he did OK on Strattera, then had a bad

reaction to that one, too. Pdoc says no more AD/HD meds for my

child. He is in the 20% of kiddo's who do poorly on meds.

Thus, I tried Omega 3's again. First Efalex, started on St. Pat's

Day. Doubling th dose (as recommended by the manufacturer). He was

on that for a little over two weeks. Then I found out it had tuna

oil, and even though Efamel sent me their reports from the

independent testers, I switched him. Anyway, I didn't see too much

of a change. I switched him to Coromega, as it is demineralized, to

get the mercury out. Again doubling the dosage. On this he is

doing very well, not quite as well attending and impulse control as

a stimulant, (I know what the meds can do), and he IS doing better

at attending and focus and impulse control. I'd say 2/3 the

response as a stimulant, but no bad side effects. Unfortunately, he

doesn't like the Coromega, so this time I bought Nordic Naturals and

I got Borag oil for the O-6's. I really hope I can use the Fish Oil

in lew of the flax seed oil in supplementing before Chelation.

In my child, the fish oils do better then the flax seed oil.

Sio

> >This is just a very definite clinical impression I have from

treating lots

> >of kids and doing lots of membrane fatty acid testing.

>

> Seeing actual test results from actual kids would be quite

helpful. Given my

> past personal experience with licensed health care practitioners I

would not

> take their word for what the results mean unless I saw the actual

lab sheet

> myself - I have had too many surprises.

>

> Does anyone want to share some representative test results, or

describe some

> actual experiences with individual children that tried fish or

flax oil?

>

> Andy Cutler

Guest guest

In a message dated 4/21/2004 9:45:39 PM Central Daylight Time,

lovingmom22000@... writes:

Who were the authors of the study you're referring to? and in which journal?

(my child has a dad and half-brother who are bipolar).

WEre the dosages that were recommended based on age? and what is the

phosphatidylacholine(sp?) for?

Thx,

Gracie

Gracie,

I lost that information about 4 hardrives ago. However, I can tell you where

I found it originally. It was originally on the Natural Pharmacist website.

But you can't access that anymore because they have been bought out and now

you must join Consumerlab.com in order to gain access to it.....it has been

renamed the Natural Health Encyclopedia. If you type in bipolar illness, it

will

pull up several alternative remedies used which have been part of studies.

What I like about this information is they give you any contraindications of

pharmaceutical drugs with herbs. I use herbs alot so I find this info useful.

But when listing the herbs for particular conditions, it will give the

references for the study at the bottom of the article.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I lost all that stored information when my

hardrive crashed.

They listed no ages that I can remember, but the amount of medication a

bipolar takes was greatly reduced when fish oil was added......however, they

never

eliminated taking all medicine, just the dosage was significantly lowered.

Phosphatidylcholine is a lecithin that was used in study as well. My child

also had ADHD.

Guest guest

Who were the authors of the study you're referring to? and in which journal? (my

child has a dad and half-brother who are bipolar).

Thx,

Gracie

GraceAcademyTX@... wrote:

In a message dated 4/21/2004 5:18:51 PM Central Daylight Time,

siobhain@... writes:

Does anyone want to share some representative test results, or describe some

actual experiences with individual children that tried fish or flax oil?

Andy Cutler

My child started having horrible mood swings from highs to low and cycling

like crazy. Bipolar runs in my family as I have 1 brother with it and 2 nieces.

Whether this is caused by mercury or genetics I do not know.

However I started giving Nordich Naturals EPA fish oils balanced out with DHA

to meet the ratios to one another to duplicate the study I read about using

Fish Oil to treat bipolar illness. I also supplement with

phosphatidylacholine, Vit E, C. folic acid, B-stress complex.

I give 1900mg EPA and 700 DHA as this is the closest ratio to duplicate the

research study.

If I miss giving fish I soon within a couple of days start to see the mood

swings like crazy. Over emotional, manic behavior of no sleeping and very

hyper. It's clearly manic behavior having experience with my family.

I give the supplement and everything is okay. My son is 11. I hope fish oil

continues to hold him.

Guest guest

I give my son 2 ProEFA Nordic Naturals contains Higher EPA to DHA and

Borage Oil and some GLA. When on it he is WAY more focused, organized

together. Coordination improves, more mature, less hypersensitive to

frustration(no tantrums)When he is off them, his speech becomes

dysarthric, disorganized, he is lost in school, falling off his

chair, bumping into things, regresses in behaviour from 5 y/0 to

about 2-3 y/o. Basically OUT of CONTROL. Takes awhile to build up

good levels, takes awhile for it to get depleted, but over a 6 week

period, daily declines. It also seems to help with food intolerances

to some degree, not completely but it helps.We never had formal fatty

acid testing, just gave it for symptoms, chicken skin thirst and just

thought it would be a good place to start for brain health. Just my

observations, worth every penny!

> > >This is just a very definite clinical impression I have from

> treating lots

> > >of kids and doing lots of membrane fatty acid testing.

> >

> > Seeing actual test results from actual kids would be quite

> helpful. Given my

> > past personal experience with licensed health care practitioners

I

> would not

> > take their word for what the results mean unless I saw the actual

> lab sheet

> > myself - I have had too many surprises.

> >

> > Does anyone want to share some representative test results, or

> describe some

> > actual experiences with individual children that tried fish or

> flax oil?

> >

> > Andy Cutler

Guest guest

How much borage oil? how much GLA? isn't the GLA in the borage oil? Where do you

buy the Pro EFA Nordic Naturals?

deverelementary <kearneysix@...> wrote:I give my son 2 ProEFA Nordic

Naturals contains Higher EPA to DHA and

Borage Oil and some GLA. When on it he is WAY more focused, organized

together. Coordination improves, more mature, less hypersensitive to

frustration(no tantrums)When he is off them, his speech becomes

dysarthric, disorganized, he is lost in school, falling off his

chair, bumping into things, regresses in behaviour from 5 y/0 to

about 2-3 y/o. Basically OUT of CONTROL. Takes awhile to build up

good levels, takes awhile for it to get depleted, but over a 6 week

period, daily declines. It also seems to help with food intolerances

to some degree, not completely but it helps.We never had formal fatty

acid testing, just gave it for symptoms, chicken skin thirst and just

thought it would be a good place to start for brain health. Just my

observations, worth every penny!

> > >This is just a very definite clinical impression I have from

> treating lots

> > >of kids and doing lots of membrane fatty acid testing.

> >

> > Seeing actual test results from actual kids would be quite

> helpful. Given my

> > past personal experience with licensed health care practitioners

I

> would not

> > take their word for what the results mean unless I saw the actual

> lab sheet

> > myself - I have had too many surprises.

> >

> > Does anyone want to share some representative test results, or

> describe some

> > actual experiences with individual children that tried fish or

> flax oil?

> >

> > Andy Cutler

=======================================================

Guest guest

You said your child HAD ADHD? Is he now cured? My son't dad and brother also

have ADHD. They use straight meds with a little fish oil - probably not nearly

enough to do any good.

Who were the authors of the study you're referring to? and in which journal?

(my child has a dad and half-brother who are bipolar).

Thx,

Gracie

Gracie,

I lost that information about 4 hardrives ago. However, I can tell you where

I found it originally. It was originally on the Natural Pharmacist website.

But you can't access that anymore because they have been bought out and now

you must join Consumerlab.com in order to gain access to it.....it has been

renamed the Natural Health Encyclopedia. If you type in bipolar illness, it

will

pull up several alternative remedies used which have been part of studies.

What I like about this information is they give you any contraindications of

pharmaceutical drugs with herbs. I use herbs alot so I find this info useful.

But when listing the herbs for particular conditions, it will give the

references for the study at the bottom of the article.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I lost all that stored information when my

hardrive crashed.

They listed no ages that I can remember, but the amount of medication a

bipolar takes was greatly reduced when fish oil was added......however, they

never

eliminated taking all medicine, just the dosage was significantly lowered.

Phosphatidylcholine is a lecithin that was used in study as well. My child

also had ADHD.

Guest guest

In a message dated 4/22/2004 12:15:38 AM Central Daylight Time,

You said your child HAD ADHD? Is he now cured? My son't dad and brother also

have ADHD. They use straight meds with a little fish oil - probably not nearly

enough to do any good.

No he is not cured but he is greatly improved. I also have taken other

measures like gettting all the preservatives, chemicals, food colorings out of

his

diet. All these measures together have improved my son greatly. Most of the

symptoms are gone such as the hyperness, inability to stay still in his chair

<I homeschool> and lack of focus. The one thing that is still remaining is

the impulsivity but I can say it has improved some. However, the improvements

in the other areas are quite noticeable. I just wish I could find something to

really affect the impulsivity in a significant way.

I purchase my Nordich Naturals from local health food store. I use the EPA

because it is the highest EPA to DHA ratio that I have ever found on the

market. Also, I 've been told by a naturopathic doctor that it is the cleanest

Fish

oil on market......for whatever that is worth.

Here is the link:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/direct/ultimateomega.asp

Guest guest

Hi,

Yes the GLA is in the borage oil. The amount of Borage oil is

360mg/2 pills. Total GLA in two pills 88mg. I read the GLA works as

an antiinflammatory.I first got it at a health food store, it is

called complete omega in the retail store. You can order it from

Kirkmans I think they charge 17.00 a bottle sold as ProEFA wholesale

name.In the store it is 21.95 for 60 capsules/90 a bottle for 17.00

at kirkmans. Better value.

> > > >This is just a very definite clinical impression I have from

> > treating lots

> > > >of kids and doing lots of membrane fatty acid testing.

> > >

> > > Seeing actual test results from actual kids would be quite

> > helpful. Given my

> > > past personal experience with licensed health care

practitioners

> I

> > would not

> > > take their word for what the results mean unless I saw the

actual

> > lab sheet

> > > myself - I have had too many surprises.

> > >

> > > Does anyone want to share some representative test results, or

> > describe some

> > > actual experiences with individual children that tried fish or

> > flax oil?

> > >

> > > Andy Cutler

>

>

>

> =======================================================

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

There is a risk from what I found for something called " nocturnal

reflux " http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/121/1/158 and

there were a few health risks from that. For oil -there

were four cases of nocturnal reflux reported not for fish oil -but

mineral oil.

" Langdon noted that none of the labels he inspected " displayed any

warnings indicating the population at particular risk from such

bedtime use: persons with nocturnal reflux. "

" Should not persons with known hiatus hernias and symptomatic reflux

be warned to avoid using these products just before recumbency? " the

physician asks. "

http://www.personalmd.com/news/a1998122802.shtml

(recumbancy means lying down)

I wonder if that means it's best not to feed such a child when it

gets towards nap or bedtime? Most of us give the fish oils in the

AM -and throughout history think the morning was the time it was

given. So perhaps that's why you can't find anything on fish oil

and reflux. But it would seem apparent that you should be careful

with foods like pizza too which have more oil on one slice then we

give our children with a full capsule. Did you caution about drippy

oily foods like that too?

When I searched for GERD and fish oils ... I found this from Dr.

Mercola which recommends fish oil for reflux!:

Millions of people suffer from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

(GERD), which is sometimes referred to as reflux or reflux

esophagitis. Although almost everyone experiences reflux at some

time--it occurs when acid from the stomach backs up into the

esophagus--some people experience it frequently and severely.

About 40 million Americans suffer from frequent heartburn, the most

common symptom of GERD, which usually occurs after a meal.

Regurgitation of gastric acid or sour contents into the mouth,

difficult or painful swallowing and chest pain can also occur. Acid

may also be regurgitated into the lungs, which can result in asthma,

coughing, wheezing and hoarseness, and if acid reaches the mouth it

can dissolve teeth enamel.

....Even if these conditions are not expressed clinically they may

have sub-threshold effects, which worsen the GERD and ulcer

conditions. It is also believed that an infection called H. pylori

may cause ulcers. High insulin levels will cause disruption of the

immune system and decrease your ability to fight this infection.

Adequate vitamin D intake is also an important variable for stomach

health. Normally, sunshine is the ideal source for vitamin D, but

over half the United States does not have adequate sources of

sunshine for a large percentage of the year, so you may need to

supplement your diet. Vitamin D3 (not vitamin D2, which is

synthetic) is the preferred form.

An excellent source of vitamin D is cod liver oil, which will also

provide you with beneficial omega-3s. "

By Dr. ph Mercola

http://www.mercola.com/2003/jul/30/recognize_heartburn.htm

As always -when not sure -seek a second opinion on this. If fish

oils weren't essential fatty acids (essential for good health

outside of appearing to help remarkably in this group) then I'd say

just don't use fish oils. I would search a bit deeper. Could be

merit -but could be like warning you not to give your child too much

water or you could throw off his electrolyte balance and die.

" The following editorial appeared in the New York Times on Thursday:

For years now, we've been hearing about the importance of hydration

to avoid heat stroke during prolonged exercise in hot weather. Now,

it turns out, too much hydration can kill you. "

http://www.etaiwannews.com/Opinion/2005/04/17/1113705643.htm

Best to you and your little one,

=====

Guest guest

There is a liquid form that you can get from Nordic Naturals. However, the

capsules work just fine - just take a pin and pierce the capsule then squirt the

stuff onto your daughter's favorite food or drink. We squirt it in Josh's

applesauce or even right on to his food.

Sherry

k_beyer <k_beyer@...> wrote:

My 2 year old daughter is currently undergoing speech therapy for

apraxia. I want to start her on fish oil, but all I can find is

capsule form. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guest guest

Hi,

My 3 almost 4 year old daughter has been on the liquid form of Complete Omega by

Nordic Naturals for almost 3 months.

I hope that helps.

Bonnye - Faith's mommy

k_beyer <k_beyer@...> wrote:

My 2 year old daughter is currently undergoing speech therapy for

apraxia. I want to start her on fish oil, but all I can find is

capsule form. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guest guest

I use " Peachy Keen " by Nordic Naturals: liquid with a peachy taste. I slip

it in his pureed fruit without a problem.

Guest guest

Thanks Myra, I'll try it.