RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Diagnosis for Insurance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a child patient in private practice with insurance. I've heard different

things about diagnosis. Some say adjustment disorder is ok. Others say its no

good for insurance and that anxiety or depression NOS is better. Any opinions?

Thanks.

Natasha

natashart@...

Guest guest

Hi Natasha: Adjustment disorder has worked ok for me with adults; I can't say about children. See you, Janet

To: NYCCAT From: natashart@...Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:56:44 +0000Subject: Diagnosis for Insurance

I have a child patient in private practice with insurance. I've heard different things about diagnosis. Some say adjustment disorder is ok. Others say its no good for insurance and that anxiety or depression NOS is better. Any opinions?Thanks.Natashanatashart@...

Guest guest

Yes adjustment disorder works but do keep in mind that it specifies that the symptoms occur within 3 months in response to a stressor - it is classified as acute if the symptoms last less then 6 months, and is chronic if the stressors are persist and the symptoms last more then 6 months, or the stressors have "enduring consequences".Anxiety or depression NOS do work well as a more general diagnosis.Hope this helps!

Suzi Tortora Ed.D., BC-DMT, CMA, LCAT, LMHCDancing Dialoguewww.dancingdialogue.comphone 845 -265- 1085fax 845-739 -1096The Carriage House 8 n Ave Suite 1 Cold Spring, NY 10516 & 80 East 11th Street #307NYC, NY 10003Thank you for writing. FYI, I have intermittent access to email on weekdays and don’t check email on weekends. If this matter is time-sensitive, please leave me a telephone message at .NOTE: This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain confidential information which is legally privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing, or copying the e-mail. If you have received this communication in error, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi Natasha: Adjustment disorder has worked ok for me with adults; I can't say about children. See you, Janet

To: NYCCAT From: natashart@...Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:56:44 +0000Subject: Diagnosis for Insurance

I have a child patient in private practice with insurance. I've heard different things about diagnosis. Some say adjustment disorder is ok. Others say its no good for insurance and that anxiety or depression NOS is better. Any opinions?Thanks.Natashanatashart@...

Guest guest

FYI if you are seeing a patient with a diagnosis of major depression, this is one of several diagnoses that require that an LCAT have a consultation with a physician. See the guidelines or the regulations for our license for more details. Joan Wittig Joan Wittig MS, BC-DMT, LCATDirector, Graduate Dance/Movement Therapy ProgramGraduate Creative Arts Therapy DepartmentPratt Institute From: NYCCAT [mailto:NYCCAT ] On Behalf Of Suzi TortoraSent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 2:35 PMTo: NYCCAT Subject: Re: Diagnosis for Insurance Yes adjustment disorder works but do keep in mind that it specifies that the symptoms occur within 3 months in response to a stressor - it is classified as acute if the symptoms last less then 6 months, and is chronic if the stressors are persist and the symptoms last more then 6 months, or the stressors have " enduring consequences " . Anxiety or depression NOS do work well as a more general diagnosis. Hope this helps! Suzi Tortora Ed.D., BC-DMT, CMA, LCAT, LMHC Dancing Dialoguewww.dancingdialogue.com phone 845 -265- 1085fax 845-739 -1096 The Carriage House 8 n Ave Suite 1 Cold Spring, NY 10516 & 80 East 11th Street #307NYC, NY 10003 Thank you for writing. FYI, I have intermittent access to email on weekdays and don’t check email on weekends. If this matter is time-sensitive, please leave me a telephone message at . NOTE: This e-mail is meant only for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain confidential information which is legally privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, you are strictly prohibited from reviewing, using, disseminating, distributing, or copying the e-mail. If you have received this communication in error, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. Thank you for your cooperation. Hi Natasha: Adjustment disorder has worked ok for me with adults; I can't say about children. See you, Janet To: NYCCAT From: natashart@...Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:56:44 +0000Subject: Diagnosis for Insurance I have a child patient in private practice with insurance. I've heard different things about diagnosis. Some say adjustment disorder is ok. Others say its no good for insurance and that anxiety or depression NOS is better. Any opinions?Thanks.Natashanatashart@...

Guest guest

I would also like to add that the only acceptable diagnosis is the correct one. This kind of question has come up several times on the listserves and it is ultimately insurance fraud...I don't me to be inflammatory, and I know no one intends, however it can be misconstrued as such. Also, LCATs are not licensed to provide initial diagnoses...we may use diagnoses given by LCSW, MD/NP, or Licensed Psychologist. If diagnosis is in question please consult with one of the above professionals. GailGail Elkin-ATR-BC, LCAT, LP Diagnosis for Insurance I have a child patient in private practice with insurance. I've heard different things about diagnosis. Some say adjustment disorder is ok. Others say its no good for insurance and that anxiety or depression NOS is better. Any opinions?Thanks.Natashanatashart@...

Guest guest

Thank you Gail, this is an important point.

Martie Negri

www.martienegri.com

Openness : Loving Action : Transformation

Diagnosis for Insurance

I have a child patient in private practice with insurance. I've heard different things about diagnosis. Some say adjustment disorder is ok. Others say its no good for insurance and that anxiety or depression NOS is better. Any opinions?

Thanks.

Natasha

natashart@...

Guest guest

I agree that we need to give correct diagnoses.  There is some question, though, about how to do this.  Though technically we are not allowed to diagnose, we are allowed to use the DSM to assess our patients.  This is what allows us to work with patients who are coming to therapy for the first time, and don’t carry a diagnosis. Joan Joan Wittig MS, BC-DMT, LCATDirector, Graduate Dance/Movement Therapy ProgramGraduate Creative Arts Therapy DepartmentPratt Institute From: NYCCAT [mailto:NYCCAT ] On Behalf Of Gail Elkin-Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 6:15 PMTo: NYCCAT Subject: RE: Diagnosis for Insurance I would also like to add that the only acceptable diagnosis is the correct one. This kind of question has come up several times on the listserves and it is ultimately insurance fraud...I don't me to be inflammatory, and I know no one intends, however it can be misconstrued as such. Also, LCATs are not licensed to provide initial diagnoses...we may use diagnoses given by LCSW, MD/NP, or Licensed Psychologist. If diagnosis is in question please consult with one of the above professionals. Gail Gail Elkin-ATR-BC, LCAT, LP Diagnosis for Insurance I have a child patient in private practice with insurance. I've heard different things about diagnosis. Some say adjustment disorder is ok. Others say its no good for insurance and that anxiety or depression NOS is better. Any opinions?Thanks.Natashanatashart@...