RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Maitake mushrooms, Candida and Cancer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi everyone...AuntieE just outdid herself again doing some fabulous research for me on the maitake mushroom. Check out all the info below on it's great impact on cancer and even Candida! Also check out the link she sent me at the very bottom to see a gorgeous and inspiring film complete with faery art and a magical message that goes straight to the soul...

Love,

Shekhinah

Wow sis this is fantastic... you really are incredible with your research and the things that you find! I am encouraged now to go ahead and try the maitake mushrooms, and I know Vila, who sent them to me will be delighted. And thank you soooo much for the Duir Waigh website....wowza! I just *love* the little film they did and the fantasy art they display is delicious; among my favorite kinds of art! I think it's very Goddessy too... even though they don't necessarily spell it out...

Thank you thank you!

Shekhinah

In a message dated 2/21/06 9:32:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, desertlotus@... writes:

Maitake mushrooms and Candida?

Hi sis here's another juicy research question for you, if you have the time... Vila sent me two big paks of maitake mushrooms which are reported to be great for healing cancer. But candida people say mushrooms are not a good idea, since candida is a fungus. There's this man, Mark Stengler, N.D. who has researched medicinal mushrooms; his literature arrived with the mushrooms. I was thinking maybe they could have a homeopathic effect? I'll ask Willa too...

I wrote to Stengler about it also... maybe he knows something about candida.

I hope you are well and enjoying life!

Hugs,

Shekhinah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, thanks, on both counts... although sometimes I think it's more a case of life en-joying (laughing/winking at?) me ...that is, when she isn't "tsk, tsking" me for my moon in scorpio moods :(

Looks as though you've got the information on maitake pretty well covered with Vila who sent them, the naturopath you wrote to, and Willa (heh, just noticed you've got a Wella and a Willa now in your life).

I did see these few thingys as I toodled around (I'm going to be positively encyclopedic after all of this research!)...

>>> "Unless you have real allergy to yeasts, molds, and fungi (having an overgrowth of the yeast Candida albicans is not the same as having a yeast allergy), taking medicinal mushrooms is not only safe, it may be one of the most protective substances for seasonal illnesses." --Nan Fuchs, Ph.D., editor, Women's Health Letter-----------------------------------------------------------

"Maitake Mushrooms Bring Yeast Infection Relief

"Many people follow a 'candida diet' to control their chronic yeast symptoms and, as a result, avoid sweets, refined carbohydrates, yeast, vinegar, and mushrooms. But are all mushrooms created equal? In a small study, women with symptoms of vaginal discharge, itching, and soreness consumed maitake mushrooms every day for six months. Of the 13 women in the study, all but one experienced a 50% reduction in symptoms.

"The maitake mushroom has scientifically proven immune-enhancing properties. Maitake can increase T-cell count and activity and also contains compounds that specifically destroy or inhibit Candida Albicans. While maitake is a safe compound, it contains mannose, a natural sugar known to promote excessive flatulence in some people." --Magaziner Center for Wellness & Anti-Aging Medicine http://tinyurl.com/jcdxk-------------------------------------------------------------------So, with the exception of a possible prob with the farts, maitake should be a positive where your candida issues are concerned.Re: the cancer treatment pluses:MAITAKE MUSHROOM Grifola frondosaMaitake mushrooms are regarded as among the most potent immunostimulating medicinals, an adaptogen similar to Shiitake and Reishi. This delicious polypore is prescribed in Japan to lower blood pressure, for breast cancer, to protect the liver, and aid in weight reduction. Maitake appears to be surfacing as one of the most promising natural healing aids with antibacterial, antiviral, antitumor and antidiabetic properties. It has also been found beneficial for lung disease, candida, and high cholesterol. The polysaccharide contained in the fungus is resistant to degradation by stomach acids and enzymes, making oral ingestion highly effective. "We have Maitake grown on brown rice or Purple Corn. 1–3 teaspoons (2–6 grams) a day. Organically grown, powdered Maitake mushroom mycelium $14/100 grams or $38/lbOrganically grown, powdered Maitake mycelium on Purple Corn $18/100 grams or $54/lb"SOURCE: Botanical Preservation Corps -- http://tinyurl.com/s3wgh...from their "Specials" page (they sell this & other prods. I left in the pricing so you could see some cost info on the mush in powdered form).-------------------------------------------------------------------While the following author briefly mentions the whole mush, she mostly refers to a "standardized and purified" form of maitake, which would seem to bring it into Willa's territory:

Maitakeby author Lynde

In Japanese, maitake (Grifola frondosa) means "dancing mushroom." One story is that the mushroom’s appearance - small overlapping fan-shaped caps with stalks that often fuse together in a heavy mass - resembles a cluster of dancing butterflies. However it came by its name, maitake’s medicinal properties are giving us something to dance about today.

Maitake is rich in fibre and low in calories and fat. It is reported to aid in cancer prevention and is believed to reduce the side-effects of chemotherapy. It is also used as an immune support tonic.

Prior to the late 1970s, maitake was only accessible as a wild harvested mushroom, but due to recent developments in cultivation techniques it is now widely available. The Chemistry of the Dance

Clincial studies suggest that maitake activates various "effector" cells, such as natural killer (NK) cells and macrophages (cells that engulf and kill foreign substances) and T cells, which are white blood cells that can destroy some tumour cells. Clinical studies have found beta-glucan polysaccharides (complex sugar molecules) that are bound to proteins stimulate this response. A standardized and purified active form of the beta-glucans has demonstrated significant anti-tumour and antiviral actions in animal tests.

Maitake mushroom extracts, in particular, have been shown to potentially slow the growth of tumours, protect healthy cells from becoming cancerous, and help prevent cancer metastasis. Maitake may also minimize the side-effects of chemotherapy such as hair loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and pain.

In a recent long-term human study, the maitake mushroom extract appeared to stimulate the body’s natural defense system against HIV. Preliminary unpublished clinical reports suggest that topical use of maitake mushroom liquid extract and DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide) shows promise in treating Kaposi’s sarcoma, a skin tumour that can afflict AIDS patients.

Animal studies conducted in the last 20 years have shown that powdered, whole maitake can lower elevated blood pressure, prevent the development of hypertension, and is effective at lowering blood sugar levels in diabetic test animals. How Should I Take It?

Hobbs, author of Medicinal Mushrooms - An Exploration of Tradition, Healing and Culture (Botanica Press, 2003), recommends a daily intake of 3,000 to 7,000 milligrams in tea and soups or in supplement form. The commercial preparations generally provide three to 25 mg of standardized extract together with 75 to 250 mg of the whole powder per capsule (take two capsules twice daily). The liquid form contains 7.5 mg pure extract per 28 drops (suggested dosage is 12 to 20 drops three times daily). The benefits of maitake mushroom extract may be enhanced when combined with the whole mushroom.

Caveats

To date, most of the published studies on maitake have been animal studies and have not indicated any adverse effects. The whole powder and fraction forms have low toxicity and are considered safe. Some studies reveal a possible hypoglycemic effect on Type II diabetic patients.

The Bottom Line

Maitake is popular among consumers not only for its culinary use but also for it anti-tumour and immune-stimulating properties. In addition, it can potentially benefit people with hypertension and diabetes and provide support for chemotherapy patients and people with the AIDS virus.

Lynde is a Clinical Herbalist practising in Vancouver. She makes her own botanical medicines from ethically wild-crafted plants and provides herbal and nutritional guidance to people and pets. E-mail: mlynde@....

SOURCE: alive #258, April 2004 -- http://tinyurl.com/mqx4c-------------------------------------------------------------------Last, here's a more research-oriented piece. I've bolded a few lines here & there...the more relevant parts:

Maitake D-fraction: a potent mushroom extract product against human malignancies

Sensuke Konno

The medicinal aspects of mushrooms have been known for centuries in the Orient, and the Chinese and Japanese people have long consumed a wide variety of mushrooms. However, Western people have neither known nor gained from the potential benefits of these mushrooms until recently. One reason for this disparity arises from misunderstanding or misconception about the nature and properties of mushrooms. Since mushrooms belong to the family of "fungi," many people have a general perception that mushrooms lack nutritional value while others have a less common but interesting thought that eating mushrooms may make one vulnerable to Candida or yeast infections. Neither view is now known to be valid, and to the contrary, mushrooms are rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and fibers, but low in fat, cholesterol, and calorie content. (1) In addition, scientific and clinical research on mushrooms over the past 20 years has revealed a number of their medicinal properties that might provide remarkable health benefits. A particular focus of such research has been on "maitake" (Grifola frondosa), an edible, tasty mushroom, which literally means "dancing mushroom." It is a giant mushroom that often reaches 20 inches in diameter and may weigh up to 100 pounds. This mushroom has been available by cultivation since the mid-1980s, enabling scientists to study its medicinal properties and being widely available for public consumption. Many physiological benefits of maitake have been postulated, ranging from immunomodulatory and antitumor activities to treatment for hypertension, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, obesity and hepatitis B infection. (2-10) Its antiviral activity against human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)/AIDS was also confirmed by the US National Cancer Institute in 1992. (11)

Maitake D-Fraction: Bioactive [beta]-Glucan Extracted from Maitake

Most research on maitake mushroom has been performed using the bioactive extract product, namely "Maitake D-fraction," to assess its potential efficacy on various human malignancies. The main, active component of this unique D-fraction is the protein-bound polysaccharide, consisting of either [beta]-1,3 branches or [beta]-1,3 glucan branched with [beta]-1,6 glucosides. It is a hot water-extractable fraction with a molecular weight of~1 x 10 (6) dalton (2,12) and is prepared by a standardized procedure developed by Maitake Products, Inc. (Ridgefield Park, New Jersey). The D-fraction has demonstrated the most potent immune enhancement and antitumor activity regardless of the route of administration (oral or injection), resulting in the highest reduction rate in cancer proliferation. (13,14) For instance, D-fraction has been shown to have an antitumor effect on tumor-bearing mice,13 with the enhanced cytotoxic activity of macrophages and the elevated interleukin-1 production leading to the activation of cytotoxi c T-lymphocytes (CTL). (15) These findings are highly suggestive that D-fraction acts not only through direct activation of various immune effectors (macrophages, CTL, natural killer cells, etc.) targeting tumor cells, but also through potentiating the activity/production of various lymphokines.

Safety of D-Fraction

A critical and substantial question about Maitake D-fraction is its safety, which must be adequately addressed. D-fraction has been tested on mice, confirming its safety with no toxicity or adverse effects. (16) A non-randomized clinical study of D-fraction on 165 patients with various types of advanced cancers showed the significant improvements in their clinical status without any side/adverse effects. (16) In addition, side effects of patients receiving chemotherapy were ameliorated when D-fraction was given simultaneously Adverse symptoms such as nausea, hair loss and leukopenia were alleviated in 90% of patients, while a reduction in pain was reported in 83% of patients. (16) This finding suggests that D-fraction should be considered a valuable adjuvant in ongoing cancer chemotherapy.

Safety of D-fraction is further supported by the fact that the FDA has exempted D-fraction from a phase I study of toxicology. In 1998, the FDA granted Maitake Products, Inc. an Investigational New Drug (IND) Application to conduct a phase II pilot study using D-fraction on patients with advanced breast and prostate cancer. (17) These studies are currently underway at several institutions/hospitals, and other independent institutions are also planning to conduct similar trials. ...

[>>>Note: I eliminated References 18-23 below, along with an accompanying section dealing with using D-fraction with Vitamin C because a) it was highly technical and B) based on men with prostate cancer. If you (or one of your health care partners) wants to see it, the url's at bottom.]

Recommended Dosage of D-Fraction

The following dosages of D-fraction for adults are recommended (but not established) at present:

* 5-6 drops of Maitake D-fraction (Grifron-Pro D-fraction[R]) 3 times daily for health maintenance, while 15-20 drops 3 times daily for therapeutic purpose. In addition, particularly recommended taking 1000-2000 mg of vitamin C daily with D-fraction for therapeutic purpose (e.g., cancer patients).

Conclusion

A number of basic science researches and limited clinical studies support a potent immunostimulatory, cytotoxic, apoptosis-inducing, and chemosensitizing activity of Maitake D-fraction, which appears to have a great potential in cancer treatment and prevention. Alleviation of various side effects with improved QOL is also reported in patients receiving chemotherapy in combination with D-fraction. However, since more comprehensive and controlled studies are required for the clinical assessment of D-fraction, the active participation of more health professionals and physicians managing a variety of human malignancies is advised to thoroughly evaluate this mushroom extract product in the near future.

References

(1.) Shirota M. What you should know about medicinal mushrooms. Explore 1996; 7:48.52.

(2.) Mizuno T et al. Maitake, Grifola frondosa: Pharmacological effects. Food Rev Int 1995; 11:135-49.

(3.) Preuss H et al. Syndrome X, hypertension, and maitake mushroom. Int J Integrative Med Nov/Dec1999; 1:42.

(4.) Kubo K et al. Anti-diabetic activity present in the fruit body of Grifola frondosa (maitake). Biol Pharm Bull 1994; 17:1106-10.

(5.) Kubo K et al. The effect of maitake mushrooms on liver and serum lipids. Altern Ther Health Med 1996; 2:62-6.

(6.) K. Maitake, A potent medicinal food. Altern Complement Ther 1998; 4:420-9.

(7.) Kabir Y et al. Effect of shiitake and maitake mushrooms on blood pressure and plasma lipids of spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Nutr Sci 1987; 33:341-6.

(8.) Adachi K et al. Blood pressure-lowering activity present in the fruit body of Grifola frondosa. Chem Pharm Bull 1988; 36:1000-6.

(9.) Nakai R et al. Effect of maitake (Grifola frondosa) water extract on inhibition of adipocyte conversion of C3H10T1/2B2C1 cells. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 1999; 45:385-9.

(10.) Wu S et al. Therapeutic effect of Grifola polysaccharides in chronic hepatitis B. International Programme and Abstracts, International Symposium on Production and Products of Lentinus Mushroom, Quingyan, China, Nov 1994; P-18 (Abstract).

(11.) Developmental Therapeutics Program, National Cancer Institute. In-vitro anti-HIV drug screening results. NSC: F195001, Jan 1992.

(12.) Nanba H et al. The chemical structure of an antitumor polysaccharide in fruit bodies of Grifola frondosa (maitake). Chem Pharm Bull 1987; 35:1162-8.

(13.) Hishida I et al. Antitumor activity exhibited by orally administered extract from fruit body of Grifola frondosa (maitake). Chem Pharm Bull 1988; 36:1819-27.

(14.) Nanba H. Antitumor activity of orally administered D-fraction from maitake mushroom. J Naturopathic Med 1993; 1:10-5.

(15.) Adachi K et al. Potentiation of host-mediated antitumor activity in mice by [beta]-glucan obtained from Grifola frondosa (maitake). Chem Pharm Bull 1987; 35:262-70.

(16.) Nanba H. Maitake D-fraction: Healing and preventive potential for cancer. J Orthomol Med 1997; 12:43-9.

(17.) Maitake Products Inc. Maitake D-fraction obtained IND for clinical study (corporate publication). Feb 1998.

Sensuke Konno, PhD New York Medical College Department of Urology Munger Pavilion 4th Floor Valhalla, New York 10595 USA Fax 914-594-4428 Email: sensuke_konno@...

COPYRIGHT 2002 The Townsend Letter GroupFound at: LookSmart -- http://tinyurl.com/n894k-------------------------------------------------------------------Well, hope you find some of this useful.

Glad to see everything's moving along well for you, Shekhinah. My prayers are with you always.

Blessings, love, & hugs, Ardith/auntieE

p.s. Can you listen on your computer? If so, headphones on for this. Probably not as goddessy as many might like, more the "fantasy" route I suspect...nevertheless, I loved it, especially the music and thought you might as well. At the least, hope it makes you smile.

Okay, ready: http://tinyurl.com/2rt2w

Magic is afoot, a heart and a handAnd Goddess is alive in the land!Shekhinah Mountainwater, Radical Muse, Faery Bard, Tarot Priestess, a foremother of the Womanspirit Movement, Author of Ariadne's Thread.My website Moonspell: http://shekhinah.net/Join our women's online Goddess community: Moonspells My blog: http://journals.aol.com/shekhinahmoon/SoSheStirs/ Online Womanspirit classes:moonspellstudycircleMagical Marketplace and Giveaway Faire:moonspellfaire If you have received this email as part of a bulk mailing and would prefer not to be on my list, please let me know and I will honor your wishes. Not on my list and want to be? Email me at shekhinahmoon@...