RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: help useing ACT for panic

Rate this topic

Guest guest

OK, I see what you are saying. However, if research and experience have proven that carrots are good for you, it is not only a thought but also a fact.

Helena

[ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

I would still like to know why you thought I was angry so I can communicate more effectively in the future. Pretty please!

Helena

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

hey,

im sorry for opening up the medication can of worms in this forum. i know its a sensitive topic and can upset/divide people. i appreciate everyones opinions and williness to lend a hand to a stranger in need.

From: kavyvinson <kavyvinsonyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently,

rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

Russ, I don't think your asking about medications upset anyone--certainly not me. We are all here to support each other and sharing various opinions is one way to do that, even if we don't always agree. It can't hurt to hear different takes on a particular issue, and then you can make up your own mind. Please don't feel bad!

Best,

Helena

[ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

helena,

i was on 10mg of lexapro, the pdoc said i should be on at least 20mg for a truely

therapeutic effect. i was to afraid to go up to 20mg...so i stayed at 10mg until he told me to stop taking the medication. he also discharged me as a patient because i wasnt compliant.

the 10mg didnt really seem to help to much.

- russ

From: kavyvinson <kavyvinsonyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently,

rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

I certainly understand why you would fear upping the dose. Mine had to be upped twice until I realized an effect. I don't much about Lexapro so you may have good reasons for not wanting to go up. Trust yourself, but don't be too afraid, either! Does that make sense?

Helena

Guest guest

I too feel bad about going on about this subject too much but PSSD

has ruined life, and the lives of thousands of other people as well.

Here's a small article on this condition.

http://community.livejournal.com/neuroscience/255265.html

This is not my personal opinion.

Here's another article on how antidepressants can damage the brain.

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/pinealstory.htm

Kavy.

In ACT_for_the_Public , " Helena "

wrote:

>

> Russ, I don't think your asking about medications upset anyone--

certainly not me. We are all here to support each other and sharing

various opinions is one way to do that, even if we don't always

agree. It can't hurt to hear different takes on a particular issue,

and then you can make up your own mind. Please don't feel bad!

>

> Best,

> Helena

> [ACT_for_the_ Public]

Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

> To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou

ps.com

> Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008,

10:01 AM

>

>

> I found this on the net.

>

> Can Buddhists transcend mental

reservations?

>

> By Steve Connor

> Science Editor

>

> Buddhists who meditate may be able

to train their brains to feel

> genuine happiness and control

aggressive instincts, research has

> shown.

>

> According to Owen Flanagan,

professor of philosophy at Duke

> University in North Carolina,

Buddhists appear to be able to

> stimulate the left prefrontal lobe -

an area just behind the

> forehead - which may be why they

can generate positive emotions and a

> feeling of well being.

>

> Writing in today's New Scientist,

Professor Flanagan cites early

> findings of a study by

son, of the University of

> Wisconsin, who used scanners to

analyse the active regions of a

> Buddhist's brain.

>

> Professor Flanagan said the

findings are " tantalising " because the

> left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist

practitioners appear to " light up "

> consistently, rather than just

during acts of meditation.

>

> " This is significant, because

persistent activity in the left

> prefrontal lobes indicates positive

emotions and good mood, " he

> writes. " The first Buddhist

practitioner studied by son showed

> more left prefrontal lobe activity

than anyone he had ever studied

> before.

>

> " Buddhists are not born happy. It

is not reasonable to suppose that

> Tibetan Buddhists are born with

a 'happiness gene'. The most

> reasonable hypothesis is there is

something about conscientious

> Buddhist practice that results in

the kind of happiness we all seek, "

> he writes.

>

> Another study of Buddhists by

scientists at the University of

> California has also found that

meditation might tame the amygdala,

> the part of the brain involved with

fear and anger.

>

> Professor Flanagan

writes: " Antidepressants are currently the

> favoured method for alleviating

negative emotions, but no

> antidepressant makes a person

happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

> meditation and mindfulness, which

were developed 2,500 years before

> Prozac, can lead to profound

happiness. "

>

> Kavy

>

>

>

>

>

> ____________ _________ _________ _________

_________ __

>

Guest guest

Kavy, I am glad that you are sharing your opinions and so sorry for what SSRIs have done to you. I've been on them since early 1990s with no PSSD side effects; in fact, quite the contrary. Personally, I think everyone's chemistry is different and what may be one person's poison may be another's remedy. There are lots of scientific articles and studies on this topic, both pro and con. You shared your negative experiences with SSRIs and I shared my positive ones. You have to go with what you know is right for you, and other people have to make up their own minds as well.

Best,

Helena

[ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left prefrontal lobe -an area just behind the > forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a study by son, of the University of > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed > more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of > California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." > > Kavy> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

Russ,

Here is my take on meds. I have always had trouble with it. But was talked

into trying them. It was horrible. But, I know lots of people who say they

are helped by them. And they sometimes don't understand why I don't take them.

I surely wish that I could be helped by them. I also know others that are not

helped. So, it is up to the person. There is so reason to believe you should

never be on meds. But there also are some things to consider about meds. As

far as dependency and that sort of thing. I think many people can get better

without meds too. And I do think they are over prescribed. This is my own

humble opinion.

Russ,

I think your doctor was terrible to punish you for not taking his meds. In my

view, you have a choice and he could have come up with an alternative. I

completely understand where you are coming from.

Robyn

--------- [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

> To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com

> Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

>

>

>

>

> I found this on the net.

>

> Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations?

>

> By Steve Connor

> Science Editor

>

> Buddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel

> genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has

> shown.

>

> According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke

> University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to

> stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the

> forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a

> feeling of well being.

>

> Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early

> findings of a study by son, of the University of

> Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a

> Buddhist's brain.

>

> Professor Flanagan said the findings are " tantalising " because the

> left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to " light up "

> consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation.

>

> " This is significant, because persistent activity in the left

> prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood, " he

> writes. " The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed

> more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied

> before.

>

> " Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that

> Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most

> reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious

> Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek, "

> he writes.

>

> Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of

> California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala,

> the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.

>

> Professor Flanagan writes: " Antidepressants are currently the

> favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

> antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

> meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before

> Prozac, can lead to profound happiness. "

>

> Kavy

>

>

>

> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

>

Guest guest

There is nothing wrong with different opinions, but I should have

been told of me dangers beforehand so I could have made an informed

decision. The drug companies have suppressed this information. You

must have seen all the news articles recently which showed that drug

companies had suppressed their own research which showed that these

drugs don't work for most people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-

news/antidepressant-drugs-udontu-work-ndash-official-study-787264.html

What makes it worse is that these drugs wear off fairly quickly and

by that time the damage has been done:

The Truth about Depession, by L. Whitfield MD.

Pete Breggin has long warned that antidepressants can make depression

permanent by down regulating the serotonin receptors.

http://www.breggin.com/

ph Glenmullen showed in his book, Prozac Backlash, how

antidepressants cause permanant damage to the serotonin system in the

brain.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2000/05/the-downsides-of-prozac.html

Kramer in Listening to Prozac, spoke about research that showed

people who had taken antidepressants were more prone to repeated

depressions afterwards.

Loren Mosher, who was second in command at the American Psychiartic

Association, resigned from the APA because these drugs are so

dangerous.

http://www.moshersoteria.com/

You can argue your case and I can argue mine, but I bet most people

after reading this will warn others about the dangers of

antidepressants and keep clear of them themselves.

The whole theory of antidepressants is based on a false theory of

brain chemical imbalance caused by genetics.

http://www.socialaudit.org.uk/

And Dr Burns, a psychiatrist and leading neurochemical

researcher, say's the same.

My own personal opinion is that you must be mad to take these drugs

if you know of the dangers. I wish someone had warned me. Too many

people are making loads of money out of it, that's why these facts

have been suppressed.

Kavy.

> >

> > From: kavyvinson <kavyvinsonyahoo (DOT)

> com>

> > Subject: [ACT_for_the_ Public]

> Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

> > To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou

> ps.com

> > Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008,

> 10:01 AM

> >

> >

> > I found this on the net.

> >

> > Can Buddhists transcend mental

> reservations?

> >

> > By Steve Connor

> > Science Editor

> >

> > Buddhists who meditate may be able

> to train their brains to feel

> > genuine happiness and control

> aggressive instincts, research has

> > shown.

> >

> > According to Owen Flanagan,

> professor of philosophy at Duke

> > University in North Carolina,

> Buddhists appear to be able to

> > stimulate the left prefrontal lobe -

> an area just behind the

> > forehead - which may be why they

> can generate positive emotions and a

> > feeling of well being.

> >

> > Writing in today's New Scientist,

> Professor Flanagan cites early

> > findings of a study by

> son, of the University of

> > Wisconsin, who used scanners to

> analyse the active regions of a

> > Buddhist's brain.

> >

> > Professor Flanagan said the

> findings are " tantalising " because the

> > left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist

> practitioners appear to " light up "

> > consistently, rather than just

> during acts of meditation.

> >

> > " This is significant, because

> persistent activity in the left

> > prefrontal lobes indicates positive

> emotions and good mood, " he

> > writes. " The first Buddhist

> practitioner studied by son showed

> > more left prefrontal lobe activity

> than anyone he had ever studied

> > before.

> >

> > " Buddhists are not born happy. It

> is not reasonable to suppose that

> > Tibetan Buddhists are born with

> a 'happiness gene'. The most

> > reasonable hypothesis is there is

> something about conscientious

> > Buddhist practice that results in

> the kind of happiness we all seek, "

> > he writes.

> >

> > Another study of Buddhists by

> scientists at the University of

> > California has also found that

> meditation might tame the amygdala,

> > the part of the brain involved with

> fear and anger.

> >

> > Professor Flanagan

> writes: " Antidepressants are currently the

> > favoured method for alleviating

> negative emotions, but no

> > antidepressant makes a person

> happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

> > meditation and mindfulness, which

> were developed 2,500 years before

> > Prozac, can lead to profound

> happiness. "

> >

> > Kavy

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ _________

> _________ __

> >

Guest guest

I agree, Kavy. I was informed of the downside before they were prescribed for me, and you should have been, too. And I agree that research results are repressed in many cases, including by the cigarette industry, which is unconscionable, . I have read one book on your list: Listening to Prozac. I may read the other ones as well; couldn't hurt! You have apparently done considerable research, and I appreciate your sharing it with us.

Best,

Helena

[ACT_for_the_ Public] > Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> > To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou > ps.com> > Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, > 10:01 AM> > > > > > I found this on the net.> > > > Can Buddhists transcend mental > reservations? > > > > By Steve Connor> > Science Editor> > > > Buddhists who meditate may be able > to train their brains to feel > > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > > > According to Owen Flanagan, > professor of philosophy at Duke > > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > > stimulate the left prefrontal lobe -> an area just behind the > > forehead - which may be why they > can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > > > Writing in today's New Scientist, > Professor Flanagan cites early > > findings of a study by > son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to > analyse the active regions of a > > Buddhist's brain.> > > > Professor Flanagan said the > findings are "tantalising" because the > > left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist > practitioners appear to "light up" > > consistently, rather than just > during acts of meditation.> > > > "This is significant, because > persistent activity in the left > > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > > more left prefrontal lobe activity > than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > > > "Buddhists are not born happy. It > is not reasonable to suppose that > > Tibetan Buddhists are born with > a 'happiness gene'. The most > > reasonable hypothesis is there is > something about conscientious > > Buddhist practice that results in > the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > > > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > > California has also found that > meditation might tame the amygdala, > > the part of the brain involved with > fear and anger.> > > > Professor Flanagan > writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating > negative emotions, but no > > antidepressant makes a person > happy. On the other hand, Buddhist > > meditation and mindfulness, which > were developed 2,500 years before > > Prozac, can lead to profound > happiness." > > > > Kavy> > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ > _________ __> >

Guest guest

Thanks Helena for calming me down.

Kavy

> > >

> > > From: kavyvinson <kavyvinsonyahoo (DOT)

> > com>

> > > Subject: [ACT_for_the_ Public]

> > Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

> > > To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou

> > ps.com

> > > Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008,

> > 10:01 AM

> > >

> > >

> > > I found this on the net.

> > >

> > > Can Buddhists transcend mental

> > reservations?

> > >

> > > By Steve Connor

> > > Science Editor

> > >

> > > Buddhists who meditate may be able

> > to train their brains to feel

> > > genuine happiness and control

> > aggressive instincts, research has

> > > shown.

> > >

> > > According to Owen Flanagan,

> > professor of philosophy at Duke

> > > University in North Carolina,

> > Buddhists appear to be able to

> > > stimulate the left prefrontal lobe -

> > an area just behind the

> > > forehead - which may be why they

> > can generate positive emotions and a

> > > feeling of well being.

> > >

> > > Writing in today's New Scientist,

> > Professor Flanagan cites early

> > > findings of a study by

> > son, of the University of

> > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to

> > analyse the active regions of a

> > > Buddhist's brain.

> > >

> > > Professor Flanagan said the

> > findings are " tantalising " because the

> > > left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist

> > practitioners appear to " light up "

> > > consistently, rather than just

> > during acts of meditation.

> > >

> > > " This is significant, because

> > persistent activity in the left

> > > prefrontal lobes indicates positive

> > emotions and good mood, " he

> > > writes. " The first Buddhist

> > practitioner studied by son showed

> > > more left prefrontal lobe activity

> > than anyone he had ever studied

> > > before.

> > >

> > > " Buddhists are not born happy. It

> > is not reasonable to suppose that

> > > Tibetan Buddhists are born with

> > a 'happiness gene'. The most

> > > reasonable hypothesis is there is

> > something about conscientious

> > > Buddhist practice that results in

> > the kind of happiness we all seek, "

> > > he writes.

> > >

> > > Another study of Buddhists by

> > scientists at the University of

> > > California has also found that

> > meditation might tame the amygdala,

> > > the part of the brain involved with

> > fear and anger.

> > >

> > > Professor Flanagan

> > writes: " Antidepressants are currently the

> > > favoured method for alleviating

> > negative emotions, but no

> > > antidepressant makes a person

> > happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

> > > meditation and mindfulness, which

> > were developed 2,500 years before

> > > Prozac, can lead to profound

> > happiness. "

> > >

> > > Kavy

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ____________ _________ _________ _________

> > _________ __

> > >

Guest guest

helena, "Finding someone or a book that will support you in your desperate desire to NOT want a "faulty" brain might bring you some relief from your fears, but it won't change the facts." just wish i knew what the facts are. everybody seems to disagree about them(biological/chemical imbalance, or a problem with the thinking machine/cognitive). and not knowing is what gets me into trouble, cause im not sure what path to walk down and what is right, -russ> > From: > kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>> Subject: > [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

I hear you, Russ. Finding out what the facts are is quite a challenge. I, personally, don't try to label my depression as a biological versus a cognitive problem. It is what it is. I'm not sure anyone can determine the cause with certainty, anyway. I just try to digest the various viewpoints and use my common sense and brain to figure out what makes sense and what doesn't--for me. One way to learn what works for you is to try different things. But if you are truly afraid and skeptical of medications, then perhaps you should just accept that, stop struggling with it, and put your energy into other things You could focus on ACT and put yourself into it wholeheartedly- -perhaps most important is to figure out your values and take action toward them. Maybe ACT will be all you need to defuse the panic.

Best,

Helena

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

helena, you seem like a very balanced person. that was very sensible post, and i thank you for it. all the best, russ> > From: > kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>> Subject: > [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

Thanks for saying that, Russ.

The reason I emphasize 'focus on your values' is because I have not yet done that yet, and I need to. I find it almost easy to just notice my thoughts and call them 'just thoughts.' That may be easier for us with depression than those with panic. The part I don't quite know how to do is defining my values. I don't know how to do that, because it forces me to think of myself as a worthwhile person who CAN have values. Most of my life, I was up to my ass in alligators, and when you are in that situation, you don't think values; you think survival. Welcoming my thoughts as just thoughts is easy and has sent the alligators packing--but now I have to learn how to articulate my values. I think, deep down, that I am not valuable. That's my struggle, at this point. I get IT. I get ACT. But I am not clear on how to express may values because I'm not sure I AM valuable.

Best,

Helena

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

helena,"Most of my life, I was up to my ass in alligators, and when you are in that situation, you don't think values; you think survival" is this a metaphor, or literal? russ> > From: > kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>> Subject: > [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

It is a metaphor, of course. I wasn't stuck in a Florida swamp with alligators up my ass. But it felt that way. It really did.

Guest guest

HI,

Wow Helena,

This is exactly how I feel. I first dealt with a horrific child hood. Then got better then had a therpist treat me like an invalid for 6 years and I was told things that were not true about what my anxiety was, so now I am trying to learn again to go back to happiness or really I mean peacefulness. I know what you mean, you aren't thinking values at times of extreme stress, so when the stress leaves it is hard to go back to values. My anxiety is like a bell, the bell is not being rung anymore but the vibration is still there. I have such a hard time feeling good. Feeling good gives me anxiety. But it is already a little better. I loved your analogy.

Robyn

--------- > [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhi

sts appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Bud

dhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

Hi Robyn,

I have a hard time feeling good, too. It isn't a normal feeling for me and I think it can't last anyway, so I am suspicious of it. I often sabotage myself, too, by doing something impulsive and stupid that will cause complications and grief (e.g., walking out on my job cold turkey) -- ah yes, sigh of relief -- that's familiar and comfortable. I know what my values are, for the most part, but I seem reluctant to act toward them consistently. So acceptance is not just about accepting negative thoughts, for me it is more about being willing to accept positive thoughts and feelings. Feeling worthy.

For example ... I am about 30 lbs overweight, and one of my values is physical fitness and good health. I went for 45-minute walks in the park at least five days a week during the months of June and July, and was starting to feel very, very good, both physically and mentally. Then I received a huge emotional blow (my boyfriend was cheating on me with two other women), and the old abandonment issue reared its ugly head and my mind told me that I was undeserving of a good man; who was I to think I could ever be, anyway? I have not been back in the park since then.

I like your analogy, too, that even though the bell hasn't rung, the vibration is still there. When will that awful vibration stop? I guess we just have to keep noticing and accepting ..

Best,

Helena

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhi sts appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Bud dhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

Hi Helena,

" But I am not clear on how to express may values because I'm not sure

I AM valuable. "

But you ARE valuable. Say it to yourself over and over again,

because it's the truth. We are all valuable. You, me, and everyone

else.

Is what I just said a bunch of bullshit?

Hmm... Good question. Maybe it is.

Most human beings are valuable, but you and I are exceptions to

that. Surely, we are exceptions, right? I personally can't imagine

myself not being an exception to something like that. Can you? Can

you imagine yourself being valuable, just like everyone else?

Maybe human beings aren't valuable. Maybe no one is valuable. It's

a possibility.

OR... (and now I'm being serious)... maybe we need to ask ourselves

this. Is the question " Am I valuable " valuable? Is the question " Is

the question " Am I valuable " valuable " valuable? Is the question " Is

the question " Is the question " Am I valuable " valuable " valuable "

valuable?

Or...

MAYBE we need to stop taking these kinds of internal dialogues

seriously. They're just words going back and forth, playing games.

Maybe we need to just trade laughs at the question " Am I valuable? "

because really (and I'm being honest here), when we really think

about it, we realize what a worthless, meaningless question it is.

No matter what you do in life, if you seriously ask yourself a

question like that, the answer will always be that you are lacking or

inferior in some way. The mind isn't designed to positively assess

itself, it's designed to criticize itself. So if you fuse with the

process, criticism is exactly what you're going to get.

So why bother asking? Why bother playing a game that can't be won?

Let's just get on with things. That's how I approach this type of

stuff.

> >

> > From:

> > kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>

> > Subject:

> > [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying

Hard and Soft

> Wiring

> > To:

> > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com

> > Date: Thursday,

> > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > I found this on the net.

> >

> > Can Buddhists transcend

> > mental reservations?

> >

> > By Steve Connor

> > Science

> > Editor

> >

> > Buddhists who meditate may be able

to train

> > their brains to feel

> > genuine happiness and control

> > aggressive instincts, research has

> >

> > shown.

> >

> > According to Owen Flanagan,

professor of

> > philosophy at Duke

> > University in North Carolina,

> > Buddhists appear to be able to

> > stimulate the left

> > prefrontal lobe - an area just

behind the

> > forehead -

> > which may be why they can generate

positive

> emotions and a

> >

> > feeling of well being.

> >

> > Writing in today's New

> > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites

early

> > findings of a

> > study by son, of the

University of

> >

> > Wisconsin, who used scanners to

analyse the active

> > regions of a

> > Buddhist's brain.

> >

> > Professor Flanagan

> > said the findings are " tantalising "

because the

> > left

> > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist

practitioners

> appear to " light

> > up "

> > consistently, rather than just

during acts of

> > meditation.

> >

> > " This is significant, because

persistent

> > activity in the left

> > prefrontal lobes indicates positive

> > emotions and good mood, " he

> > writes. " The first Buddhist

> > practitioner studied by son

showed

> > more left

> > prefrontal lobe activity than

anyone he had

> ever studied

> >

> > before.

> >

> > " Buddhists are not born happy. It

is not

> > reasonable to suppose that

> > Tibetan Buddhists are born

> > with a 'happiness gene'. The most

> > reasonable hypothesis

> > is there is something about

conscientious

> > Buddhist

> > practice that results in the kind

of happiness

> we all seek, "

> >

> > he writes.

> >

> > Another study of Buddhists by

> > scientists at the University of

> > California has also

> > found that meditation might tame

the amygdala,

> > the part

> > of the brain involved with fear and

anger.

> >

> > Professor

> > Flanagan writes: " Antidepressants

are currently

> the

> >

> > favoured method for alleviating

negative emotions, but

> > no

> > antidepressant makes a person

happy. On the other

> > hand, Buddhist

> > meditation and mindfulness, which

were

> > developed 2,500 years before

> > Prozac, can lead to

> > profound happiness. "

> >

> >

> > Kavy

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________

_________ _________ __

> > Do

> > You Yahoo!?

> > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the

best spam protection around

> >

> > http://mail. yahoo.com

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________

_________ _________ __

> >

Guest guest

Welcome back, . I missed you. Bill

To: ACT_for_the_Public From: brianparks@...Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:03:43 +0000Subject: Re: help useing ACT for panic

Hi Helena,"But I am not clear on how to express may values because I'm not sure I AM valuable."But you ARE valuable. Say it to yourself over and over again, because it's the truth. We are all valuable. You, me, and everyone else. Is what I just said a bunch of bullshit? Hmm... Good question. Maybe it is. Most human beings are valuable, but you and I are exceptions to that. Surely, we are exceptions, right? I personally can't imagine myself not being an exception to something like that. Can you? Can you imagine yourself being valuable, just like everyone else? Maybe human beings aren't valuable. Maybe no one is valuable. It's a possibility. OR... (and now I'm being serious)... maybe we need to ask ourselves this. Is the question "Am I valuable" valuable? Is the question "Is the question "Am I valuable" valuable" valuable? Is the question "Is the question "Is the question "Am I valuable" valuable" valuable" valuable? Or... MAYBE we need to stop taking these kinds of internal dialogues seriously. They're just words going back and forth, playing games. Maybe we need to just trade laughs at the question "Am I valuable?" because really (and I'm being honest here), when we really think about it, we realize what a worthless, meaningless question it is. No matter what you do in life, if you seriously ask yourself a question like that, the answer will always be that you are lacking or inferior in some way. The mind isn't designed to positively assess itself, it's designed to criticize itself. So if you fuse with the process, criticism is exactly what you're going to get. So why bother asking? Why bother playing a game that can't be won? Let's just get on with things. That's how I approach this type of stuff. > > > > From: > > kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>> > Subject: > > [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft > Wiring> > To: > > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> > Date: Thursday, > > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > > > > > > I found this on the net.> > > > Can Buddhists transcend > > mental reservations? > > > > By Steve Connor> > Science > > Editor> > > > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > > their brains to feel > > genuine happiness and control > > aggressive instincts, research has > > > > shown.> > > > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > > philosophy at Duke > > University in North Carolina, > > Buddhists appear to be able to > > stimulate the left > > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > > forehead - > > which may be why they can generate positive > emotions and a > > > > feeling of well being.> > > > Writing in today's New > > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > > findings of a > > study by son, of the University of > > > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > > regions of a > > Buddhist's brain.> > > > Professor Flanagan > > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > > left > > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners > appear to "light > > up" > > consistently, rather than just during acts of > > meditation.> > > > "This is significant, because persistent > > activity in the left > > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > > emotions and good mood," he > > writes. "The first Buddhist > > practitioner studied by son showed > > more left > > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had > ever studied > > > > before.> > > > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > > reasonable to suppose that > > Tibetan Buddhists are born > > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > > reasonable hypothesis > > is there is something about conscientious > > Buddhist > > practice that results in the kind of happiness > we all seek," > > > > he writes.> > > > Another study of Buddhists by > > scientists at the University of > > California has also > > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > > the part > > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > > > Professor > > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently > the > > > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > > no > > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > > hand, Buddhist > > meditation and mindfulness, which were > > developed 2,500 years before > > Prozac, can lead to > > profound happiness." > > > > > > Kavy> > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> > Do > > You Yahoo!?> > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> >

Guest guest

Hey thanks for the welcome back, Bill. I've still been reading the

board, though.

BTW, your posts have been extremely insightful and helpful (to me and

I'm sure to others), so please don't slow down.

> > >

> From: > > kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>> > Subject: > >

[ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft > Wiring> > To: > >

ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> > Date: Thursday, > > October

16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > > > > > > I found this on the net.> > > >

Can Buddhists transcend > > mental reservations? > > > > By Steve

Connor> > Science > > Editor> > > > Buddhists who meditate may be

able to train > > their brains to feel > > genuine happiness and

control > > aggressive instincts, research has > > > > shown.> > > >

According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > > philosophy at Duke > >

University in North Carolina, > > Buddhists appear to be able to > >

stimulate the left > > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > >

forehead - > > which may be why they can generate positive > emotions

and a > > > > feeling of well being.> > > > Writing in today's New >

> Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > > findings of a > >

study by son, of the University of > > > > Wisconsin,

who used scanners to analyse the active > > regions of a > >

Buddhist's brain.> > > > Professor Flanagan > > said the findings

are " tantalising " because the > > left > > prefrontal lobes of

Buddhist practitioners > appear to " light > > up " > > consistently,

rather than just during acts of > > meditation.> > > > " This is

significant, because persistent > > activity in the left > >

prefrontal lobes indicates positive > > emotions and good mood, " he >

> writes. " The first Buddhist > > practitioner studied by son

showed > > more left > > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had

> ever studied > > > > before.> > > > " Buddhists are not born happy.

It is not > > reasonable to suppose that > > Tibetan Buddhists are

born > > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > > reasonable hypothesis

> > is there is something about conscientious > > Buddhist > >

practice that results in the kind of happiness > we all seek, " > > >

> he writes.> > > > Another study of Buddhists by > > scientists at

the University of > > California has also > > found that meditation

might tame the amygdala, > > the part > > of the brain involved with

fear and anger.> > > > Professor > > Flanagan

writes: " Antidepressants are currently > the > > > > favoured method

for alleviating negative emotions, but > > no > > antidepressant

makes a person happy. On the other > > hand, Buddhist > > meditation

and mindfulness, which were > > developed 2,500 years before > >

Prozac, can lead to > > profound happiness. " > > > > > > Kavy> > > >

> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> > Do

> > You Yahoo!?> > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam

protection around > > > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> >

Guest guest

I'm comforted to discover I'm not alone in my reaction to panic. I always wondered why resources never talked about the suicidal impulse that could accompany panic. I thought I was weird. :-)Learning to accept something unpleasant is my challenge right now. I'm practicing making room for thought/feelings by imagining the infinite spaciousness I contain. I'm so a beginner.L.

Guest guest

Thanks ! You have a way of writing that makes the truth pop out in full color. It really is silly to question my value. I certainly don't question anyone else's; it's an innate quality. So I'll just get on with things : )

Gratefully,

Helena

> > [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft > Wiring> > To: > > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> > Date: Thursday, > > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > > > > > > I found this on the net.> > > > Can Buddhists transcend > > mental reservations? > > > > By Steve Connor> > Science > > Editor> > > > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > > their brains to feel > > genuine happiness and control > > aggressive instincts, research has > > > > shown.> > > > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > > philosophy at Duke > > University in North Carolina, > > Buddhists appear to be able to > > stimulate the left > > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > > forehead - > > which may be why they can generate positive > emotions and a > > > > feeling of well being.> > > > Writing in today's New > > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > > findings of a > > study by son, of the University of > > > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > > regions of a > > Buddhist's brain.> > > > Professor Flanagan > > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > > left > > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners > appear to "light > > up" > > consistently, rather than just during acts of > > meditation.> > > > "This is significant, because persistent > > activity in the left > > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > > emotions and good mood," he > > writes. "The first Buddhist > > practitioner studied by son showed > > more left > > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had > ever studied > > > > before.> > > > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > > reasonable to suppose that > > Tibetan Buddhists are born > > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > > reasonable hypothesis > > is there is something about conscientious > > Buddhist > > practice that results in the kind of happiness > we all seek," > > > > he writes.> > > > Another study of Buddhists by > > scientists at the University of > > California has also > > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > > the part > > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > > > Professor > > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently > the > > > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > > no > > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > > hand, Buddhist > > meditation and mindfulness, which were > > developed 2,500 years before > > Prozac, can lead to > > profound happiness." > > > > > > Kavy> > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> > Do > > You Yahoo!?> > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> >