RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: help useing ACT for panic

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Russ - Each ACT book I'm aware of has suggestions for crisis times. Today I'll pick one from The Happiness Trap by Russ , since you share the same first name! From page 235:

"The first step is to connect with your environment: notice five things you can see, five things you can hear, and five things you can touch or feel against your skin. Next, push your feet against the floor and get a sense of the ground beneath you." Then "... practice the Breathing to Connect exercise from page 144."

From page 144:

"Sit or lie comfortably with your eyes closed. For the first six minutes connect with your breathing. Let thoughts and feelings come and go."

If you get hooked by a thought or feeling unhook from it by bringing you attention back to your breathing. The exercise has more steps, all of which are designed to help you notice what's going on in the present moment and rescue you from your thinking self. It's a good idea to develop some proficiency with this exercise when you are not in a crisis. It's much easier to develop the skill when you are on solid ground than when you are hanging by your finger tips of one hand while holding the book in the other. I've found the secret is to catch yourself in the "moment of interpretation" (Brantley I think) and invoke this exercise immediately, rather than discovering you are already down the rabbit hole and now have to find your way out.

If you don't have this book or another ACT book, please, please get one and follow the steps religiously. Although ACT seems highly intellectual I can assure you that it works better and better for me the more I practice the exercises. It's like learning a new language.

Bill

Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_Public Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy

Guest guest

HI,

You know it is odd that when I don't have an attack for a while. For me it is

only a few days at most. When it comes back it seems so much worse. There are

a few things I do. Accept that it is here and try to remind myself that it

always goes away eventually. Cheerleading myself along the way. Another thing

is sometimes I am happier when the attack actually comes because usually if I

have the attack that makes it better later. Meaning, it is harder to feel that

constant feeling on edge for me. ALot of times having an attack lets off some

steam. Also, especially since you haven't had one in a while, don't try to

read anything into it. Like, this means it is back. Just remember even if you

get better with anxiety, it is unlikely to go away completely but maybe one or

two a year is doable for me at least. I would love two a month even. Since, I

have so many right now. Camomile tea is helpful for me and mindfule distraction

is important for me too. Try not to fre

ak yourself out about the fact that you had one after a long period of time. It

could be stress. It will probably just be for a short time.

I hope that helps.

Robyn

--------- Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_Public Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently,

rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy

Guest guest

thanks bill+robyn for taking the time to write that stuff down for me. only people who have experienced panic themselves can truly understand the horror of it. i really need to practice ACT much more diligently....since im not doing to good, and am frightened by where this panic may lead me-russ

From: kavyvinson <kavyvinsonyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy

Guest guest

Russ - You sound like you are ready and know what must be done. Bill

[ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

Guest guest

Russ,

Future thinking. I have issues with that too. Thinking of what might happen

will make anxiety most of the time. I do the same thing and this is where

mindfulness. Staying in the now. Helps.

Robyn

--------- [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

Guest guest

Frightened by where this panic may lead me ... Wow, isn't that the essence of panic, fear of fear! I don't have the "classic" panic response of thinking I might die; instead I have the fear response of thinking I might have to die (i.e., kill myself) to escape this terrible feeling. But I"ve come to see that that's the worst thing I might feel/think, and it will pass.

For good or for ill, my brain traps images from popular culture. A panic attack will often provoke the little girl's line in Poltergeist, "They're ba-ack!" So, if that's kind of how you feel when an attack appears, practice in calmer times saying, "Move into the light, Carol Anne." Well, maybe changing the name to your own. :) It might seem frivolous, but next time your mind screams "They're back," you can respond "Move into the light" and start your coping mechanism.

Move into the light can be shorthand for stay in the present.

Laurel

From: kavyvinson <kavyvinsonyahoo (DOT) com>Subject: [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently,

rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy__________________________________________________

Guest guest

hi laurel, i too get the same thought....not afraid that panic will kill me, but that i will have to kill myself cause my panic will get so bad i wont be able to cope. you said, "But I"ve come to see that that's the worst thing I might feel/think, and it will pass."......im starting to realize this myself. very important. thanks for the poltergeist analogy..lol. humor defiantly can help in tough times. thanksruss

antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

Russ, LAurelThat makes 3 of us - I have exactly the same thoughts about panic too. T [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

Also meant to say that...you are right it does pass. I have found that if I try my best to let it pass and wash over me it has less impact. It's never going to be pleasant but it's not so unpleasant. I suppose this is accepting it willingly in ACT language [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

Guest guest

Wow, Thanks for this guys. I don't have that except in a sort of different

way. You know my anxiety doc that I had for a long time said that what is so

ironic is that these thoughts are fiction. We don't do the things we are afraid

of. Most people with anxiety disorder don't ever do or come close to doing what

we are afraid of. I always try to remember that. Of course, try telling

myself that during an attack.

The other thing about anxiety is they are sort of like a hurricane. When I

hurricane hits land it has tons of wind and an Eye then as time goes, it

dissapates and slows to a tropical storm and then to a tropical depression then

just rain then nothing. Anxiety is like that. This is why Weekes says

let time pass.

Sending Sunshine

Robyn

--------- [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

> To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com

> Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

>

>

> I found this on the net.

>

> Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations?

>

> By Steve Connor

> Science Editor

>

> Buddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel

> genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has

> shown.

>

> According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke

> University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to

> stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the

> forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a

> feeling of well being.

>

> Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early

> findings of a study by son, of the University of

> Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a

> Buddhist's brain.

>

> Professor Flanagan said the findings are " tantalising " because the

> left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to " light up "

> consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation.

>

> " This is significant, because persistent activity in the left

> prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood, " he

> writes. " The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed

> more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied

> before.

>

> " Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that

> Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most

> reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious

> Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek, "

> he writes.

>

> Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of

> California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala,

> the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.

>

> Professor Flanagan writes: " Antidepressants are currently the

> favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

> antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

> meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before

> Prozac, can lead to profound happiness. "

>

> Kavy

>

>

>

>

> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

>

Guest guest

bill, "Sit or lie comfortably with your eyes closed. For the first six minutes connect with your breathing. Let thoughts and feelings come and go." (excerpt from the happiness trap). i honestly dont know if i can do this. my adrenaline and heart pump so hard..that i tend to pace around...i cant sit still. "I've found the secret is to catch yourself in the "moment of interpretation"". is this the spot right before you start to panic? when your panic switch is pushed by thoughts, bodily cues? if it is, that gives one a very short amount of time to act. im feeling very much on the edge of panic at the moment. when i get like this, my logical mind shuts down, and i forget what i should do if it happens. these racing thoughts sure arent helping either. -russ

Guest guest

Hi Russ,

Maybe there is not anything you need to do. The more you feel like you have to

do something it is avoidance. And remember it is not going to hurt you and it

will get better sooner rather than later. I just distract as much as possible.

I hope that helps.

Robyn

---------

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

> To:

> ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com

> Date: Thursday,

> October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

>

>

>

>

>

> Can Buddhists transcend mental

> reservations?

>

> By Steve Connor

> Science

> Editor

>

> Buddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains

> to feel

> genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts,

> research has

> shown.

>

> According to Owen Flanagan, professor

> of philosophy at Duke

> University in North Carolina, Buddhists

> appear to be able to

> stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area

> just behind the

> forehead - which may be why they can generate

> positive emotions and a

> feeling of well being.

>

> Writing in

> today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early

> findings of

> a study by son, of the University of

> Wisconsin, who

> used scanners to analyse the active regions of a

> Buddhist's

> brain.

>

> Professor Flanagan said the findings are " tantalising "

> because the

> left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear

> to " light up "

> consistently, rather than just during acts of

> meditation.

>

> " This is significant, because persistent activity

> in the left

> prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good

> mood, " he

> writes. " The first Buddhist practitioner studied by

> son showed

> more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he

> had ever studied

> before.

>

> " Buddhists are not born happy. It

> is not reasonable to suppose that

> Tibetan Buddhists are born with

> a 'happiness gene'. The most

> reasonable hypothesis is there is

> something about conscientious

> Buddhist practice that results in

> the kind of happiness we all seek, "

> he writes.

>

> Another

> study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of

> California

> has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala,

> the part

> of the brain involved with fear and anger.

>

> Professor Flanagan

> writes: " Antidepressants are currently the

> favoured method for

> alleviating negative emotions, but no

> antidepressant makes a

> person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

> meditation and

> mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before

> Prozac, can

> lead to profound happiness. "

>

>

> Kavy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

i know ACT says that we are supposed to accept the panic, and be willing to experience it even though its extremely unpleasant, but im having a very hard time with this. my problem is that im afraid to willingly let panic happen because if i do, panic may be more likely to happen, and my brain might get hardwired for further attacks maintaining a very greatly unwanted cycle.i cant seem to let go of the rope! i think its because im traumatized over some of the horrible panic attacks ive had in the past. i've had some that went on for hours! thats really tough to endure. and my thoughts/feelings get so intense and scary, that i feel like im going to get stuck thinking/feeling like that...and that would be to difficult to endure(hence suicide). -russ

>

> From: kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>

> Subject: [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

> To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com

> Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

>

>

>

> Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations?

>

> By Steve Connor

> Science Editor

>

> Buddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel

> genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has

> shown.

>

> According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke

> University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to

> stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the

> forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a

> feeling of well being.

>

> Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early

> findings of a study by son, of the University of

> Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a

> Buddhist's brain.

>

> Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the

> left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up"

> consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation.

>

> "This is significant, because persistent activity in the left

> prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he

> writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed

> more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied

> before.

>

> "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that

> Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most

> reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious

> Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek,"

> he writes.

>

> Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of

> California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala,

> the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.

>

> Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the

> favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

> antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

> meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before

> Prozac, can lead to profound happiness."

>

> Kavy

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hey Russ,

Just one more thing. I find anger or other emotions can help. If I can make

myself mad, my anxiety goes way down. It seems like I cannot have anxiety and

anger at the same time. I would way rather feel mad than anxiety. I take an

empty water bottle out back and slam it into my large tree trunk. It helps me

alot when I can remember to do it.

I hope that helps.

Robyn

--------- [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring

>

> > To: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com

>

> > Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I found this on the net.

>

> >

>

> > Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations?

>

> >

>

> > By Steve Connor

>

> > Science Editor

>

> >

>

> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel

>

> > genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has

>

> > shown.

>

> >

>

> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke

>

> > University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to

>

> > stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the

>

> > forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a

>

> > feeling of well being.

>

> >

>

> > Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early

>

> > findings of a study by son, of the University of

>

> > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a

>

> > Buddhist's brain.

>

> >

>

> > Professor Flanagan said the findings are " tantalising " because the

>

> > left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to " light up "

>

> > consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation.

>

> >

>

> > " This is significant, because persistent activity in the left

>

> > prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood, " he

>

> > writes. " The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed

>

> > more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied

>

> > before.

>

> >

>

> > " Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that

>

> > Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most

>

> > reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious

>

> > Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek, "

>

> > he writes.

>

> >

>

> > Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of

>

> > California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala,

>

> > the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.

>

> >

>

> > Professor Flanagan writes: " Antidepressants are currently the

>

> > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no

>

> > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist

>

> > meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before

>

> > Prozac, can lead to profound happiness. "

>

> >

>

> > Kavy

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

>

> >

Guest guest

Hi Russ - My experience with panic is when my thinking self dreams up a "what if catastrophe." If my observing self can notice what's going on at "the moment of interpretation," I label the thought and thank my thinking self for the thought and the panic never really gets going. Yes, you don't have much time to do that!!! It took me some time to learn this. I try to keep my observing self engaged as much as possible. I find it fun to watch what the thinking self is up to. Put it it's proper perspective it's actually funny what it comes up with, until you start buying what it comes up with. Curiosity works well - watching my thinking self to see what's next and being ready to notice it. Catching the really unhelpful ones at the moment of interpretation feels like "a close call." Missing it feels like going over the cliff, waiting for the sudden stop at the bottom, and then having to climb back out. I think this is all about training yourself to be mindful of the present - not the present inside your head but the real external present. Practice the Breathing to Connect exercise as many times a day as you can noticing the flow of thoughts that your thinking self cooks up. Every thought your thinking self cooks up is just words in a story until you start buying it. At the moment of interpretation you always have two choices - buy the thought and forget the present moment, or defuse from the thought (label it as not helpful) and stay in the present moment. I get in trouble when my observing self gets lazy and allows an unhelpful thought to stick. Then it's harder work to defuse/accept the associated emotion.

I hope I'm helping, Bill

PS - I have this picture in my mind of you frozen in your tracks and watching and buying all this crap your thinking self is cooking up. Can you invoke any of your values/goals and bring yourself back to the present by focusing on them and moving ahead with your hands and your feet. I think the action needs to be value-driven or it is simply avoidance and ultimately not helpful.

[ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft WiringTo: ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.comDate: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy__________________________________________________

Guest guest

"I have this picture in my mind of you frozen in your tracks and watching and buying all this crap your thinking self is cooking up." (bill). nice call, thats exactly what im doing that is making this so tough to traverse. my mind is telling me that something is really not right, that im mentally ill, that something biological is going on in my brain that is out of my control. that maybe i shouldnt have tried to get off my meds (although i really dont want to go back on them), that im fooling myself to think that ACT, CBT, or anthing else can turn this around. thats quite a list. i can challenge some of these thoughts, but the one i have the most trouble with is the mental illness/biological one. cause this implies lack of control/it will happen no matter what i do. i wish someone could say for sure exactly what the hell causes this all. my thinking brain cant seem to give up trying to figure it out...and i know this type of thinking keeps me stuck at the same time. -russ--- On

Fri, 10/17/08, BILL CAMERON wrote:Subject: Re: help useing ACT for panicTo: ACT_for_the_Public Date: Friday, October 17, 2008, 9:42 PM

Hi Russ - My experience with panic is when my thinking self dreams up a "what if catastrophe. " If my observing self can notice what's going on at "the moment of interpretation, " I label the thought and thank my thinking self for the thought and the panic never really gets going. Yes, you don't have much time to do that!!! It took me some time to learn this. I try to keep my observing self engaged as much as possible. I find it fun to watch what the thinking self is up to. Put it it's proper perspective it's actually funny what it comes up with, until you start buying what it comes up with. Curiosity works well - watching my thinking self to see what's next and being ready to notice it. Catching the really unhelpful ones at the moment of interpretation feels like "a close call." Missing it feels like going over the cliff, waiting for the sudden stop at the bottom, and then having to climb back out. I think this is all about training yourself to be mindful of the present - not the present inside your head but the real external present. Practice the Breathing to Connect exercise as many times a day as you can noticing the flow of thoughts that your thinking self cooks up. Every thought your thinking self cooks up is just words in a story until you start buying it. At the moment of interpretation you always have two choices - buy the thought and forget the present moment, or defuse from the thought (label it as not helpful) and stay in the present moment. I get in trouble when my observing self gets lazy and allows an unhelpful thought to stick. Then it's harder work to defuse/accept the associated emotion.

I hope I'm helping, Bill

PS - I have this picture in my mind of you frozen in your tracks and watching and buying all this crap your thinking self is cooking up. Can you invoke any of your values/goals and bring yourself back to the present by focusing on them and moving ahead with your hands and your feet. I think the action needs to be value-driven or it is simply avoidance and ultimately not helpful.

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

By the book by Panic Attacks, Dr D. Burns, that should do the

trick. He has done lots of research on brain chemistry and emotions.

His resaerch has shown that there is no faulty biology in depression

and anxiety.

He is a well respected leading psychiatrist but he is scathing of the

American Pychiatric Association and the drug companies who promote a

belief that faulty biology is the cause of emotional suffering. These

people just want to push drugs becauase there is seroius money to be

made out of it. psychiatrists are not usually trained in therapy and

without drugs they have no job. They could retrain, but councilors,

friends, and even vicars (pastors), make good therapists, so there is

no money in it.

Another good book is The Missing Gene - Psychaitry, Heredity, and the

Fruitless Search for Genes, by Jay Jeseph, Psy.D. He looked at the

statistics of identical twin studies and found psychiatry was a fraud

and that they had been lying by using statistical tricks that even

statiticians would laugh at.

D. Burns says even if biology was found to be the cause of

emotional suffering drug treatment is not the answer because it isn't

very effective and usaully stops working in the end. There are

millions of people on antidepressants and tranquilizers who stil feel

terrible. And when they stop working you have two problems. Therapy

is much more effective at altering biology and is a lasting cure.

So keep with the ACT and have faith. People with anxiety need

reassurance, not drugs.

Kavy

The idea that that depression and anxiety have biological

>

> From:

> kavyvinson <kavyvinsonyahoo (DOT) com>

> Subject:

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft

Wiring

> To:

>

>

>

>

>

> Can Buddhists transcend

> mental reservations?

>

> By Steve Connor

> Science

> Editor

>

> Buddhists who meditate may be able to train

> their brains to feel

> genuine happiness and control

> aggressive instincts, research has

>

> shown.

>

> According to Owen Flanagan, professor of

> philosophy at Duke

> University in North Carolina,

> Buddhists appear to be able to

> stimulate the left

> prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the

> forehead -

> which may be why they can generate positive

emotions and a

>

> feeling of well being.

>

> Writing in today's New

> Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early

> findings of a

> study by son, of the University of

>

> Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active

> regions of a

> Buddhist's brain.

>

> Professor Flanagan

> said the findings are " tantalising " because the

> left

> prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners

appear to " light

> up "

> meditation.

>

> " This is significant, because persistent

> activity in the left

> prefrontal lobes indicates positive

> emotions and good mood, " he

> writes. " The first Buddhist

> practitioner studied by son showed

> more left

> prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had

ever studied

>

> before.

>

> " Buddhists are not born happy. It is not

> reasonable to suppose that

> Tibetan Buddhists are born

> with a 'happiness gene'. The most

> reasonable hypothesis

> is there is something about conscientious

> Buddhist

> practice that results in the kind of happiness

we all seek, "

>

> he writes.

>

> Another study of Buddhists by

> scientists at the University of

> California has also

> found that meditation might tame the amygdala,

> the part

>

> Professor

> Flanagan writes: " Antidepressants are currently

the

>

> favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but

> no

> antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other

> hand, Buddhist

> meditation and mindfulness, which were

> developed 2,500 years before

> Prozac, can lead to

> profound happiness. "

>

>

> Kavy

>

>

>

> Do

> You Yahoo!?

> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around

>

> http://mail. yahoo.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

thank you so much for that book recommendation kavy, that sounds like exactly what i need to read.

it is so hard to extract the truth....so difficult to know who/what to

believe. we are supposed to trust these professionals(psychiatrists),

and to think that they may not know exactly what the deal is is quite

disheartening. my instincts tell me that ACT,CBT, are my best bet...and

also, my wish is to be able to utilize these cognitive

techniques...instead of drugs i dont trust and am afraid of.

i really hope that Burns is right...and that im not a victim of a faulty brain.

thanks again

russ

>

> From:

> kavyvinson <kavyvinson@ yahoo. com>

> Subject:

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft

Wiring

> To:

>

>

>

>

>

> Can Buddhists transcend

> mental reservations?

>

> By Steve Connor

> Science

> Editor

>

> Buddhists who meditate may be able to train

> their brains to feel

> genuine happiness and control

> aggressive instincts, research has

>

> shown.

>

> According to Owen Flanagan, professor of

> philosophy at Duke

> University in North Carolina,

> Buddhists appear to be able to

> stimulate the left

> prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the

> forehead -

> which may be why they can generate positive

emotions and a

>

> feeling of well being.

>

> Writing in today's New

> Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early

> findings of a

> study by son, of the University of

>

> Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active

> regions of a

> Buddhist's brain.

>

> Professor Flanagan

> said the findings are "tantalising" because the

> left

> prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners

appear to "light

> up"

> meditation.

>

> "This is significant, because persistent

> activity in the left

> prefrontal lobes indicates positive

> emotions and good mood," he

> writes. "The first Buddhist

> practitioner studied by son showed

> more left

> prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had

ever studied

>

> before.

>

> "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not

> reasonable to suppose that

> Tibetan Buddhists are born

> with a 'happiness gene'. The most

> reasonable hypothesis

> is there is something about conscientious

> Buddhist

> practice that results in the kind of happiness

we all seek,"

>

> he writes.

>

> Another study of Buddhists by

> scientists at the University of

> California has also

> found that meditation might tame the amygdala,

> the part

>

> Professor

> Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently

the

>

> favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but

> no

> antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other

> hand, Buddhist

> meditation and mindfulness, which were

> developed 2,500 years before

> Prozac, can lead to

> profound happiness."

>

>

> Kavy

>

>

>

> Do

> You Yahoo!?

> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around

>

> http://mail. yahoo.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Did the meds help when you were on them? I, for one, have tried to get off my SSRI many times and always had to go back to it after not being able to function without the meds. Just a thought...

Helena

I found this on the net.Can Buddhists transcend mental reservations? By Steve ConnorScience EditorBuddhists who meditate may be able to train their brains to feel genuine happiness and control aggressive instincts, research has shown.According to Owen Flanagan, professor of philosophy at Duke University in North Carolina, Buddhists appear to be able to stimulate the left prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the forehead - which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a feeling of well being.Writing in today's New Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early findings of a study by son, of the University of Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active regions of a Buddhist's brain.Professor Flanagan said the findings are "tantalising" because the left prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light up" consistently, rather than just during acts of meditation."This is significant, because persistent activity in the left prefrontal lobes indicates positive emotions and good mood," he writes. "The first Buddhist practitioner studied by son showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied before."Buddhists are not born happy. It is not reasonable to suppose that Tibetan Buddhists are born with a 'happiness gene'. The most reasonable hypothesis is there is something about conscientious Buddhist practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," he writes.Another study of Buddhists by scientists at the University of California has also found that meditation might tame the amygdala, the part of the brain involved with fear and anger.Professor Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but no antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other hand, Buddhist meditation and mindfulness, which were developed 2,500 years before Prozac, can lead to profound happiness." Kavy____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

Kavy, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'm not sure it's wise to generalize your negative personal experience with drugs to the rest of the population. By all means, share your experiences and books you like, but I would suggest sharing as just opinion without making dogmatic statements such as "Don't take drugs" and "People with anxiety need reassurance, not drugs." That is your opinion and apparently, Dr. Burns' opinion -- not necessarily a fact.

I'm concerned that you might be influencing people, especially drug-phobic people, to stay away from drug therapy when they may really need it, as I do. When I was on talk therapy only in my early 20's, I continued to attempt suicide. It was only after an antidepressant was prescribed, in addition to therapy, that I got better and no longer attempted suicide. I believe the drugs saved my life.

Don't get me wrong: I do think many doctors over-prescribe antidepressants, but some are cautious about it. My doctor will not re-prescribe my SSRI if I haven't personally seen him in a year. That made me mad at first, but he was right. So find a doctor you trust (I realize that some people don't trust any doctors!).

I hope you don't take this badly; it is just my opinion, after all!

Best,

Helena

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

Hi Russ,

I am a little confused as why you would consider yourself a victim of your brain, even if the neurotransmitters in your brain weren't functioning optimally. Would you be as judgmental about yourself if you had a faulty body -- diabetes or congenital heart disease, for example? Your brain is a physical thing and if it is not functioning well, it may have something to do with its biology -- or may not -- but you may need to consult a doctor to find out. What's so bad about that? Finding someone or a book that will support you in your desperate desire to NOT want a "faulty" brain might bring you some relief from your fears, but it won't change the facts.

Best,

Helena

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __>

Guest guest

perhaps it is just that........A Thought

ivor

Guest guest

Helena, why are you angry?

ivor

> [ACT_for_the_ Public] Modifying Hard and Soft Wiring> To: > ACT_for_the_ Public@yahoogrou ps.com> Date: Thursday, > October 16, 2008, 10:01 AM> > > > > I found this on the net.> > Can Buddhists transcend > mental reservations? > > By Steve Connor> Science > Editor> > Buddhists who meditate may be able to train > their brains to feel > genuine happiness and control > aggressive instincts, research has > > shown.> > According to Owen Flanagan, professor of > philosophy at Duke > University in North Carolina, > Buddhists appear to be able to > stimulate the left > prefrontal lobe - an area just behind the > forehead - > which may be why they can generate positive emotions and a > > feeling of well being.> > Writing in today's New > Scientist, Professor Flanagan cites early > findings of a > study by son, of the University of > > Wisconsin, who used scanners to analyse the active > regions of a > Buddhist's brain.> > Professor Flanagan > said the findings are "tantalising" because the > left > prefrontal lobes of Buddhist practitioners appear to "light > up" > consistently, rather than just during acts of > meditation.> > "This is significant, because persistent > activity in the left > prefrontal lobes indicates positive > emotions and good mood," he > writes. "The first Buddhist > practitioner studied by son showed > more left > prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever studied > > before.> > "Buddhists are not born happy. It is not > reasonable to suppose that > Tibetan Buddhists are born > with a 'happiness gene'. The most > reasonable hypothesis > is there is something about conscientious > Buddhist > practice that results in the kind of happiness we all seek," > > he writes.> > Another study of Buddhists by > scientists at the University of > California has also > found that meditation might tame the amygdala, > the part > of the brain involved with fear and anger.> > Professor > Flanagan writes: "Antidepressants are currently the > > favoured method for alleviating negative emotions, but > no > antidepressant makes a person happy. On the other > hand, Buddhist > meditation and mindfulness, which were > developed 2,500 years before > Prozac, can lead to > profound happiness." > > > Kavy> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __> Do > You Yahoo!?> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail. yahoo.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

If I think carrots are good for me, it remains, after all, just a thought!

-- Re: help useing ACT for panic

Not sure what you mean...

Helena

Guest guest

It's not easy to insult me and I love everyone

LOL ivor

-- Re: Re: help useing ACT for panic

I am not angry. Why would you think that? I'm sorry if I insulted you by sharing my opinion, but I am totally calm and in a loving mood.

Helena