RemedySpot.com

Re: After Cast Life

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That is wierd! Did they remove any vertabrae?? My understanding is that a laminectomy is when they remove a vertbrae. Strange...

Well i spoke too soon about cast life being easy. isaiahs jumper broke today and he went head first into the entertainment center and has a pretty big lump on his head and he came within inches of hitting his eye on the metal door opener on the cabinet. It could have put his eye out or cut his head open!! Scared me and him to death! But now without the jumper he cant be upright so hes really frustrated and mad because he cant roll over, sit or stand up. Nothing. And hes fussing all the time because he doesnt want to be flat on his back and he doesnt want to be held and he falls out of the bean bag chair. So i take it back!! Cast life is hard right now and im frustrated!!!! Sorry had to get that out!!!

From: Melinda Lee <mindylee1verizon (DOT) net>Subject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, October 2, 2009, 7:47 PM

Hi ,

Good to hear you and Isaiah are doing well so far. He hasnt cried much from discomfort or any pain?

My daughter got her 1st brace today and she has been crying all day, she has terribe reflux too. Everything is coming back up. Was Isaiah in a brace before his cast?

Just wondering if the cast is worse than the brace (as far as the baby getting used to).

Well, good luck and very happy to hear your doing great!!

Melinda

Mommy of Marlycia 8 mnths, Natalya 22 mnths

Scranton, PA

[infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" Life

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont have

any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Thanks Melinda. And dont worry i would be crying too if my child was crying and i didnt know what to do either!! His chiari was found during the MRI and we had no prior knowledge it existed until we got the results. He was 9 months old when he got the MRI. Almost every doc wants an MRI of at least the spine before casting to look for any abnormalities like a tethered cord, etc. When they want you to do one INSIST they do the brain as well as the spine so if a chiari is present they will find it. Now not all kids with a chiari need surgery but my sons was tightly compressed and that is why he needed it. Im sure your daughter will have perfect results but you need the MRI to know for sure. I would ask them to schedule this as soon as they can because it will get you one step closer to getting that 1st

cast! Hope this help some!

From: Melinda Lee <mindylee1verizon (DOT) net>Subject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, October 2, 2009, 7:47 PM

Hi ,

Good to hear you and Isaiah are doing well so far. He hasnt cried much from discomfort or any pain?

My daughter got her 1st brace today and she has been crying all day, she has terribe reflux too. Everything is coming back up. Was Isaiah in a brace before his cast?

Just wondering if the cast is worse than the brace (as far as the baby getting used to).

Melinda

Scranton, PA

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont have

any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

It helps , thanks so much. I will actually email the Phys Asst to ask her

when I can get in to get one. Thanks again

Melinda

>

>

> From: Melinda Lee <mindylee1verizon (DOT) net>

> Subject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] " After Cast " Life

> To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com

> Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 7:47 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

> Hi ,

>  

> Good to hear you and Isaiah are doing well so far. He hasnt cried much from

discomfort or any pain?

> My daughter got her 1st brace today and she has been crying all day, she has

terribe reflux too. Everything is coming back up. Was Isaiah in a brace before

his cast?

> Just wondering if the cast is worse than the brace (as far as the baby getting

used to).

> Well, good luck and very happy to hear your doing great!!

>  

> Melinda

> Mommy of Marlycia 8 mnths, Natalya 22 mnths

> Scranton, PA

>  

>  

>

> [infantile_scoliosi s] " After Cast " Life

>

>  

>

> Hi everyone,

> We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied

Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!!

Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it

would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon,

right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does

still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so

maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down

low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at

times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but

otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is

even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i

tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I

dont have any idea why this

> is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it

is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months

fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is

everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a

ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??

> Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks

for listening!!

>

>

>

I am going to research that (laminectomy) b/c that is what they were calling it, and they did not to my knowledge remove a vertebrae, they just released the cord that was attached, so it would be hanging freely at the bottom of the spinal column.

Sorry that he is frustrated now , he will learn to do all those things again, with your help. But I know you are trying to move and pack and stuff, so it is very hard right now for you. I would bite the bullet and go buy another sturdier jumper just to make life easier for both of you while you are trying to pack. Let me know how today is going for you... good luck..

HUGS TO YOU AND ISAIAH Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:24:44 PMSubject: Re: "After Cast" Life

That is wierd! Did they remove any vertabrae?? My understanding is that a laminectomy is when they remove a vertbrae. Strange...

Well i spoke too soon about cast life being easy. isaiahs jumper broke today and he went head first into the entertainment center and has a pretty big lump on his head and he came within inches of hitting his eye on the metal door opener on the cabinet. It could have put his eye out or cut his head open!! Scared me and him to death! But now without the jumper he cant be upright so hes really frustrated and mad because he cant roll over, sit or stand up. Nothing. And hes fussing all the time because he doesnt want to be flat on his back and he doesnt want to be held and he falls out of the bean bag chair. So i take it back!! Cast life is hard right now and im frustrated!! !! Sorry had to get that out!!!

Hi ,

Melinda

Scranton, PA

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast.. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont have

Melinda, I agree with . Do your MRI asap, and make sure they do the brain as well. We had to have two seperate MRI's b/c our Dr at ish Rite only ordered a spine, so when we were sent to a neurosurgeon b/c of the syrnx they found, he wanted to do another complete spine and brain, this just ate up valuable time for us and then scheduling the surgery for the tethered cord, and then waiting. This is how my son got to 62 degrees. So do it all at once and do it quickly. Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:31:15 PMSubject: Re: "After Cast" Life

Thanks Melinda. And dont worry i would be crying too if my child was crying and i didnt know what to do either!! His chiari was found during the MRI and we had no prior knowledge it existed until we got the results. He was 9 months old when he got the MRI. Almost every doc wants an MRI of at least the spine before casting to look for any abnormalities like a tethered cord, etc. When they want you to do one INSIST they do the brain as well as the spine so if a chiari is present they will find it. Now not all kids with a chiari need surgery but my sons was tightly compressed and that is why he needed it. Im sure your daughter will have perfect results but you need the MRI to know for sure. I would ask them to schedule this as soon as they can because it will get you one step closer to getting that 1st cast! Hope this help some!

Hi ,

Melinda

Scranton, PA

Joan,

Let me know what you find out about the laminectomy. That is very curious. As far as Isaiah goes i have found a sturdy jumper like he had before ( ithink his old one broke because it had a crack in it) on ebay for 39.99 so i bought it and she is going to give me shipping options/prices today to get it here asap. It will probably cost alot but at this point its worth it! They had them in the store but they were 100.00 and very flimsy and not made to hold his size or weight. Wish me luck!!

Thanks,

Hi ,

Melinda

Scranton, PA

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast.. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont

have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Thats good news about the jumper , I hope you are able to get it by Tuesday at the latest. Then you can focus on packing and Isaiah will be a happy little boy again. I hope he is doing better today. I will let you know what I find out about the laminectomy..... Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2009 10:01:00 AMSubject: Re: "After Cast" Life

Joan,

Let me know what you find out about the laminectomy. That is very curious. As far as Isaiah goes i have found a sturdy jumper like he had before ( ithink his old one broke because it had a crack in it) on ebay for 39.99 so i bought it and she is going to give me shipping options/prices today to get it here asap. It will probably cost alot but at this point its worth it! They had them in the store but they were 100.00 and very flimsy and not made to hold his size or weight. Wish me luck!!

Thanks,

Hi ,

Melinda

Scranton, PA

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast... WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont

have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Scary accident, oh no! So glad it wasn't worse.Heidi, Bexon's Mama, (2 years old, in 3rd cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 61 degrees to 25)

Hi ,

Melinda

Scranton, PA

I will, thanks!

Melinda

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Aww, , sorry to hear its getting worse. Its so hard but I read that you ordered a better one for him so hopefully, it will get better again! And poor baby with the boo boo! Good luck,

Melinda

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Melinda,

I broke down and ordered another jumper but i got it off ebay for a fraction of the price so that good. I LOVE ebay!! Hes doing ok but he still cant roll over or sit up yet. Hoping that will come soon. SO sorry Marly is having brace troubles. Do you know if or when they are going to cast her? She will adjust it just takes time although i know for both of us this waiting is hard!!!

Hi ,

Melinda

Scranton, PA

sorry to hear Isaiah is having a hard time and I can relate to the frustration!

As all these wonderful CAST parents have said, it does get better but it is so

hard to watch them the first week or so. We sat Chloe against the couch and

propped pillows on both sides of her. we also bought one of those plastic play

trays (like a breakfast in bed tray for kids) and put it over her lap so she

could play without bending over. i think they have them at walmart.

Chloe had a C1 laminectomy when she was 4 months old because C1 was abnormally

shaped and could potentially press the spinal cord. The surgeon just took the

back off. If I remember correctly, there is something on the bones in the spine

called the lamina, and anytime they remove that or cut it, it is called a

laminectomy.

I hope Isaiah (and his mommy) are feeling better soon.

xo

Celeste (mom to Chloe, 27 months in Cast #3 from Chicago Shriners, also has

Chromosome 6q deletion syndrome)

>

>

> From: Melinda Lee <mindylee1verizon (DOT) net>

> Subject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] " After Cast " Life

> To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com

> Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 7:47 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

> Hi ,

>  

> Good to hear you and Isaiah are doing well so far. He hasnt cried much from

discomfort or any pain?

> My daughter got her 1st brace today and she has been crying all day, she has

terribe reflux too. Everything is coming back up. Was Isaiah in a brace before

his cast?

> Just wondering if the cast is worse than the brace (as far as the baby getting

used to).

> Well, good luck and very happy to hear your doing great!!

>  

> Melinda

> Mommy of Marlycia 8 mnths, Natalya 22 mnths

> Scranton, PA

>  

>  

>

> [infantile_scoliosi s] " After Cast " Life

>

>  

>

> Hi everyone,

> We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied

Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!!

Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it

would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon,

right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does

still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so

maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down

low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at

times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but

otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is

even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i

tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I

dont have any idea why this

> is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it

is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months

fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is

everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a

ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??

> Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks

for listening!!

>

>

>

Celeste,

Thanks so much for your support. Ive tried everything and nothing seems to work, He wants his jumper back and to be able to get around like before. I know it just takes time but the crying is driving me nuts!! I ordered a new jumper but it wont be here til Wed. pray we can make it that long...

Subject: Re: "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Sunday, October 4, 2009, 8:39 PM

, sorry to hear Isaiah is having a hard time and I can relate to the frustration! As all these wonderful CAST parents have said, it does get better but it is so hard to watch them the first week or so. We sat Chloe against the couch and propped pillows on both sides of her. we also bought one of those plastic play trays (like a breakfast in bed tray for kids) and put it over her lap so she could play without bending over. i think they have them at walmart.Chloe had a C1 laminectomy when she was 4 months old because C1 was abnormally shaped and could potentially press the spinal cord. The surgeon just took the back off. If I remember correctly, there is something on the bones in the spine called the lamina, and anytime they remove that or cut it, it is called a laminectomy. I hope Isaiah (and his mommy) are feeling better soon.xoCeleste (mom to Chloe, 27 months in Cast #3 from Chicago Shriners, also has

Chromosome 6q deletion syndrome)> > > From: Melinda Lee <mindylee1verizon (DOT) net>> Subject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast"

Life> To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. com> Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 7:47 PM> > > > > > Hi , > > Good to hear you and Isaiah are doing well so far. He hasnt cried much from discomfort or any pain? > My daughter got her 1st brace today and she has been crying all day, she has terribe reflux too. Everything is coming back up. Was Isaiah in a brace before his cast?> Just wondering if the cast is worse than the brace (as far as the baby getting used to).> Well, good luck and very happy to hear your doing great!!> > Melinda> Mommy of Marlycia 8 mnths, Natalya 22 mnths> Scranton, PA> > > >

[infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" Life> > > > Hi everyone,> We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried

a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it off! I dont have any idea why this> is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??> Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!> > >

Hi ,

Congrats on the correction!

Our SLC casts were always plaser with a layer of fiberglass.

Is Isaiah able to move/turn his head yet? They should be able to do that. Perhaps the shoulder straps are too high?~Noah 4 years old9 months of casting in SLC; Currently on 1 1/2 years of bracingAnd Mariella 8 months old currently waiting and watching at 11*

To: infantile_scoliosis From: missikay10@...Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:49:45 +0000Subject: "After Cast" Life

Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

No he cant move yet, not at all. He cant really turn his head much but hes managing. I just wish he could at least roll over or something!! He and I are pretty frustrated at this point! Hope it gets better soon. We are in the process of packing for a big move. We leave Saturday and will reach our destination Monday so i hope to have more time to work with him once we get settled. Its been difficult as we are trying to pack without much luck because hes so fussy. Wish us luck!!!

The correction was great though, we are so happy!!!

Subject: RE: "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hi ,Congrats on the correction! Our SLC casts were always plaser with a layer of fiberglass. Is Isaiah able to move/turn his head yet? They should be able to do that. Perhaps the shoulder straps are too high?~Noah 4 years old9 months of casting in SLC; Currently on 1 1/2 years of bracingAnd Mariella 8 months old currently waiting and watching at 11*

To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comFrom: missikay10yahoo (DOT) comDate: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:49:45 +0000Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" Life

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip it

off! I dont have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Hmmm...anyone else have thoughts on this? Did anyone else have a child that couldn't move/turn their head? I don't want to worry you too much, but it sounds like the straps might need to be trimmed down. I can't imagine him going 2-3 months not being able to move his head and I'd hate for you to leave TX and then be "stuck."~Noah 4 years old9 months of casting in SLC; Currently on 1 1/2 years of bracingAnd Mariella 8 months old currently waiting and watching at 11*

To: infantile_scoliosis From: missikay10@...Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 07:33:40 -0700Subject: RE: "After Cast" Life

No he cant move yet, not at all. He cant really turn his head much but hes managing. I just wish he could at least roll over or something!! He and I are pretty frustrated at this point! Hope it gets better soon. We are in the process of packing for a big move. We leave Saturday and will reach our destination Monday so i hope to have more time to work with him once we get settled. Its been difficult as we are trying to pack without much luck because hes so fussy. Wish us luck!!!

The correction was great though, we are so happy!!!

From: Borlik <christina_borlikhotmail>Subject: RE: "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hi ,Congrats on the correction! Our SLC casts were always plaser with a layer of fiberglass. Is Isaiah able to move/turn his head yet? They should be able to do that. Perhaps the shoulder straps are too high?~Noah 4 years old9 months of casting in SLC; Currently on 1 1/2 years of bracingAnd Mariella 8 months old currently waiting and watching at 11*

To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comFrom: missikay10yahoo (DOT) comDate: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 20:49:45 +0000Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" Life

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.

Im not sure if he cant or that he wont. Its kind of a combination of both. Hes just so stiff i dont think he knows he can relax yet or something. But its almost been a week. If hes not better in the next day or two maybe ill call the nurse and see what she and the doc say. Tasha thought maybe his tummy cut out isnt big enough either. It is pretty small. I posted his pics on the home page under new photos if you want to look at him. Hes eating like normal, breathing fine and is now pooping fine although that took awhile, so it sounds like hes ok right?

From: Borlik <christina_borlik@ hotmail.com>Subject: RE: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, October 5, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip

it off! I dont have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

, did go through 3 casts with small tummy holes. Each cast it got bigger and bigger. As I have said before I am sure his doc was researching Mehta casts. ALthough he did fine with a smaller cutout, there is a reason for the Metha style tummy cutout. Not just to give room for the tummy, but also for the ribs. As far as the shoulder straps being too high I would call for sure. Yes, I also feel like you, he has not figured it out and relaxed, but after a week I would have hoped it would.Has anyone else had this problem?Maybe do a new post about shoulder straps. See what others have encounter. did have 3 over the shoulder and his were high, but he did manage to move and turn his head.TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts

for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at....http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.html--- Subject: RE: "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 9:45 AM

Im not sure if he cant or that he wont. Its kind of a combination of both. Hes just so stiff i dont think he knows he can relax yet or something. But its almost been a week. If hes not better in the next day or two maybe ill call the nurse and see what she and the doc say. Tasha thought maybe his tummy cut out isnt big enough either. It is pretty small. I posted his pics on the home page under new photos if you want to look at him. Hes eating like normal, breathing fine and is now pooping fine although that took awhile, so it sounds like hes ok right?

From: Borlik <christina_borlik@ hotmail.com>Subject: RE: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, October 5, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to rip

it off! I dont have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Tasha,

i just went over and physically turned his head with my hands and he can turn it, he has enough room he just hasnt figured out he can yet i guess. Plus he has torticollis which is more prominent with the cast on. His PT comes tomorrow. If she thinks hes not turning it from the tort. then ok. But if she thinks its the sholder straps we will hit Dallas on our way out of town. I called Dr S nurse and she said she would let Dr S know if we need a trim. She thought they make the sholder straps a little high to allow room for growth. Does this sound right?

Yes. And I think that is great that the PT is coming tomorrow. That sounds like a great plan. Maybe if you start turning his head from time to time it will help. Or putting things to each side of him where hopefully he will want to turn to see. Just thought.TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at....http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/stories.html--- Subject: RE:

"After Cast" LifeTo: infantile_scoliosis Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 10:22 AM

Tasha,

i just went over and physically turned his head with my hands and he can turn it, he has enough room he just hasnt figured out he can yet i guess. Plus he has torticollis which is more prominent with the cast on. His PT comes tomorrow. If she thinks hes not turning it from the tort. then ok. But if she thinks its the sholder straps we will hit Dallas on our way out of town. I called Dr S nurse and she said she would let Dr S know if we need a trim. She thought they make the sholder straps a little high to allow room for growth. Does this sound right?

I looked at the pics (cutie!). I agree that his tummy hole looks too small. I'm not an expert, but if you're concerned I'd bring it up before you leave. I can't imagine any reason why they wouldn't be able to cut him some more room and it should make him more comfy.

The straps look high to me, but if he's able to turn his head w/o it rubbing on his cheek then it's probably all right. Yes, bring it up to PT to get their thoughts too. Great idea!

One more thing...so sorry, but did they say why the cast wasn't anchored on his hips? Again, I'm not an expert - so perhaps there's a reason, but I'd imagine that he might not be able to move so well because the cast ends right on his tummy. Please don't be alarmed - just another thing I noticed that you might want to bring up before you leave.

It does take the kids some time to adjust, but I'd think that he should be up and moving by now. Maybe not doing EVERYTHING that he used to, but he should be able to do more than just lay or stand. Perhaps it's just taking him longer though. Maybe some other mom's can chime in on this.~Noah 4 years old9 months of casting in SLC; Currently on 1 1/2 years of bracingAnd Mariella 8 months old currently waiting and watching at 11*

To: infantile_scoliosis From: missikay10@...Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:22:54 -0700Subject: RE: "After Cast" Life

Tasha,

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

Hayden didn't want to turn his head at first either, but once he realized he was able to, then he was fine. His shoulder straps seem a little high but I think it's for room for growth. I AM going to ask our Dr about it next time though. I noticed Heidi's son Bex's shoulder straps were not high at all, so I wonder why that is?? Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Monday, October 5, 2009 10:29:41 AMSubject: RE: "After Cast" Life

Yes. And I think that is great that the PT is coming tomorrow. That sounds like a great plan. Maybe if you start turning his head from time to time it will help. Or putting things to each side of him where hopefully he will want to turn to see. Just thought.TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at....http://www.infantil escoliosis. org/stories.. html

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now. ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Hi Joan,

When the apply the cast and shoulder straps, the child is under traction and they are close to the skin. What happens is after they remove the traction, the spine relaxes and curves and goes down from the shoulder straps. This means that the spine is still flexible. I was told that this was good. They have no idea how much it will relax, so some casts they are high and others weren't with our daughter.

Liz, Mom to Keira - 3.5 yrs in 5th cast in SLC

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Monday, October 5, 2009 9:28:37 AMSubject: Re: "After Cast" Life

Hayden didn't want to turn his head at first either, but once he realized he was able to, then he was fine. His shoulder straps seem a little high but I think it's for room for growth. I AM going to ask our Dr about it next time though. I noticed Heidi's son Bex's shoulder straps were not high at all, so I wonder why that is?? Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

From: Tasha Fontenot <ryanswalkyahoo (DOT) com>To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSent: Monday, October 5, 2009 10:29:41 AMSubject: RE: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" Life

Yes. And I think that is great that the PT is coming tomorrow. That sounds like a great plan. Maybe if you start turning his head from time to time it will help. Or putting things to each side of him where hopefully he will want to turn to see. Just thought.TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at.....http://www.infantil escoliosis. org/stories. . html

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now. ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __

Liz thanks for explaining that, I didn't realize that is what happens, makes sense though... Thanks again Joanmom to Hayden 2 1/233 degrees1st cast down from 62 degrees Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

To: infantile_scoliosis Sent: Monday, October 5, 2009 11:52:27 AMSubject: Re: "After Cast" Life

Hi Joan,

When the apply the cast and shoulder straps, the child is under traction and they are close to the skin. What happens is after they remove the traction, the spine relaxes and curves and goes down from the shoulder straps. This means that the spine is still flexible. I was told that this was good. They have no idea how much it will relax, so some casts they are high and others weren't with our daughter.

Liz, Mom to Keira - 3.5 yrs in 5th cast in SLC

From: Joan Vallee <hayro1611yahoo (DOT) com>To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSent: Monday, October 5, 2009 9:28:37 AMSubject: Re: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" Life

From: Tasha Fontenot <ryanswalkyahoo (DOT) com>To: infantile_scoliosis @yahoogroups. comSent: Monday, October 5, 2009 10:29:41 AMSubject: RE: [infantile_scoliosi s] "After Cast" Life

Yes. And I think that is great that the PT is coming tomorrow. That sounds like a great plan. Maybe if you start turning his head from time to time it will help. Or putting things to each side of him where hopefully he will want to turn to see. Just thought.TashaMommy of 4 year old twin boys- and Fort Worth, TexasSeries of 6 casts for 14 months and now in a night brace. is treated at Texas ish Rite Hospital.You can read 's story at.....http://www.infantil escoliosis. org/stories. . html

Our doc mentioned some docs cut the shoulder straps off sometimes- I mean after the cast has dried. Ours always does over the shoulder and I like that, but they aren't so high. If the curve is about T-8 or 9, over the shoulder is what Mehta likes, but I know many docs do only under and get lots of great results, so you'd have to discuss it with your doc- of course!Heidi, Bexon's Mama, (2 years old, in 4th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 61 degrees to 21)

Hi everyone,We have been home since yesterday from Isaiah's 1st cast that was applied Tuesday. He went from 50 degrees out of cast to 21 degrees in cast. WOO HOO!! Anyway, im sure im speaking too soon here but this is easier than i thought it would be. True, he cant roll over, sit up or stand but surely he will soon, right?? And he is SO heavy!! Its very hard and akward to carry him. He does still fit into his jumper and exersaucer so he is at least able to be upright so maybe that is why this isnt as hard as i expected. The cast does not come down low on the hips so diapering has not been a problem. He does get frustrated at times bacause he cannot move or even turn his head due to the sholder straps but otherwise is his usual happy laid back self. The only problem we have had is even though he does not pull on the cast like he wants to take it off when i tried a shirt on him last night he FREAKED!! He cried and tried to

rip it off! I dont have any idea why this is! I was just trying to get an idea of size and WOW what a jump in size it is! He went from wearing 9-12 months to 18 months being tight and 24 months fitting better. Did everyone experience this big of a size difference? Also, is everyones cast made of plaster and then covered in fiberglass or is this just a ish Rite thing? Maybe that is why he is so heavy??Anyway, sorry for rambling i just wanted to share my experience so far. Thanks for listening!!

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.