Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'd try a honey dressing. Before you wrap it, soak the square in honey, then

wrap. Honey is a great healer for human bed sores and diabetic sores that

are resistant to healing. I don't know where the wound really is, but if

you can sew you could get a bit of leather and make a leather boot that

laces up over the wound. When hunting dogs have sore feet they put leather

boots on them. Actually, I think I have seen these boots advertised in a

pet supply catalog I get, though I can't remember the name of the catalog.

I have the the catalog advertised on TV and it's by 2 vets.

Samala

-------Original Message-------

The area is not getting any worse, but not getting better either. Does

Anyone have any suggestions as to what would help?

If he is dragging both legs can you get him one of those rear end

support carts with wheels? There may even be organizations helping pets

whose owners can not afford to buy one.

It is a bit difficult to make suggestion without seeing him or knowing

more but here are some of the things that I have used on similar lesions.

Emu Oil is a good antinflammatory and will keep the skin hydrated. It

penetrates to subdermal layers and is not oily. I mix it with Oil of

Oregano when I need to kill microbes.

Corn Starch would not be my first choice for drying. Starch can support

fungal growth.

Some things that might help:

Clay poultice, it is drawing. Plain potter's clay works great or French

Cosmetic clay. www.eytonsearth.com is a clay info site and has resource

for ordering. Or try an art supply, health food store or Whole Foods

type of store.

DMSO alone is drying, and can reduce edema in the case of trauma. Try

increasing the concentration a bit if you are using a low concentration.

I would not use over 50% without close observation, just in case it is

too strong for that area. I have used it to reduce hematomas by applying

several times a day. Or compressing.

Zinc Oxide is an old standby for wound healing. Desitin Ointment or

plain zinc oxide ointment.

You can make a paste of Epsom Salts and condensed milk, poultice with

that to draw out moisture. This is used a lot on horses hooves. I would

check for any irritation with any of these. And of course the dog should

not be licking the area. Buy an an collar from a vet or Pet

Smart, or order one on line. You can improvise one yourself, try a

Google search for a photo.

In general you don't want to wrap a wound. It builds up moisture and

heat which microbes love to grow in. Air has oxygen and this alone kills

many pathogens, also keeps it dryer. Again an an Collar will

keep him from licking it.

Good Luck,

Garnet

janet.duncan wrote:

>

>

> My dog, Jericho, (6 yo GSD/x) has a pressure sore on his leg from

> dragging it. He had back surgery in April of this year. I'm looking

> for advice on how to get it better.

>

> I've been trying to keep it covered both to keep him from licking it

> and to cushion it as he drags his back legs as he is moving about both

> in and out side.

>

> I've been wiping it down with a cotton ball soaked in CS/DMSO, letting

> it air dry and applying corn starch (it weeps some), then covering

> with a cotton bandage square and then wrap with Kerlix and then a bit

> of vet wrap (wrap that sticks to itself). Lately I've been putting an

> old white sock over his leg and placing vet wrap around the top to I

> don't have to tape it to his fur. Then I put some athletic tape around

> the stock to give the sock some body. By the end of the day the stock

> is pulled down a bit, but is still covering the area.

>

> At night, I remove it all so he gets some air to it.

>

> The area is not getting any worse, but not getting better either. Does

> anyone have any suggestions as to what would help?

>

> Janet

>

>

Raw honey, that is, unheated honey. The stuff they clarify by heating isn't worth much medicinally.

Speaking of diabetic ulcers, I read where a naturopath had great results with leg and foot ulcers (not necessarily diabetic) by using a castor oil bandage--changing it every few days. It too will draw and impart some sort of healing.

Saralou

Re: dog with pressure sore

I'd try a honey dressing. Before you wrap it, soak the square in honey, thenwrap. Honey is a great healer for human bed sores and diabetic sores thatare resistant to healing. I don't know where the wound really is, but ifyou can sew you could get a bit of leather and make a leather boot thatlaces up over the wound. When hunting dogs have sore feet they put leatherboots on them. Actually, I think I have seen these boots advertised in apet supply catalog I get, though I can't remember the name of the catalog. I have the the catalog advertised on TV and it's by 2 vets.Samala -------Original Message------- The area is not getting any worse, but not getting better either. Does Anyone have any suggestions as to what would help?

From personal experience (hospital bedsores suffered by my mother), using plain ordinary table sugar as a wound dressing is highly effective. All we did (in the hospital) is clean the wound with 3% hydrogen peroxide and packed the wound with sugar and taped it up. We changed the dressing twice daily. I read about this procedure in "Health and Healing", by Dr. n Whitaker in the Sept. 1991 or 1992 issue. A 5 year study was done using sugar as a wound dressing (even on diabetic ulcers) with remarkable results. This procedure is used rountinely in other countries around the world (Poland & the ines for example). It is not used in the Western world for one simple reason. YOU CANNOT PATENT SUGAR!! Honey also works but it is much messier to work with. Barb

dog with pressure sore

> My dog, Jericho, (6 yo GSD/x) has a pressure sore on his leg from> dragging it. He had back surgery in April of this year. I'm looking> for advice on how to get it better.> > I've been trying to keep it covered both to keep him from licking it> and to cushion it as he drags his back legs as he is moving about both> in and out side.> > I've been wiping it down with a cotton ball soaked in CS/DMSO, letting> it air dry and applying corn starch (it weeps some), then covering> with a cotton bandage square and then wrap with Kerlix and then a bit> of vet wrap (wrap that sticks to itself). Lately I've been putting an> old white sock over his leg and placing vet wrap around the top to I> don't have to tape it to his fur. Then I put some athletic tape around> the stock to give the sock some body. By the end of the day the stock> is pulled down a bit, but is still covering the area. > > At night, I remove it all so he gets some air to it.> > The area is not getting any worse, but not getting better either. Does> anyone have any suggestions as to what would help?> > Janet> > > > > > List Home Page:> > http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/DimethylSulfoxide-DMSO> > Books:> DMSO Nature's Healer by Morton > MSM The Definitive Guide by Stanely MD and Appleton, ND >

Hi Barb. Wonderful story. And thanks for posting. Just curious, what was the attitude of the hospital employees. ie. nurses, doctors. I ask because I've met up with so much opposition over the years when dealing with hospital employees...mostly due to strict alligence to hospital "ways" or routine. I found reluctance right down to using Lavender Essential Oil to wipe down bed rails and utility items such as telephones. This I found was mostly due to an attitude of just not wanting to accept anything out of the ordinary....which I find to be a rather ignorant attitude in spite of extensive medical training.Carol AnnBarb Leppky wrote: From personal experience (hospital bedsores suffered by my mother), using plain ordinary table sugar as a wound dressing is highly effective. All we did (in the hospital) is clean the wound with 3% hydrogen peroxide and packed the wound with sugar and taped it up. We changed the dressing twice daily. I read about this procedure in "Health and Healing", by Dr. n Whitaker in the Sept. 1991 or 1992 issue. A 5 year study was done using sugar as a wound dressing (even on diabetic ulcers) with remarkable results. This procedure is used rountinely in other countries around the world (Poland & the ines for example). It is not used in the Western world for one simple reason. YOU CANNOT

PATENT SUGAR!! Honey also works but it is much messier to work with. Barb dog with pressure sore > My dog, Jericho, (6 yo GSD/x) has a pressure sore on his leg from> dragging it. He had back

surgery in April of this year. I'm looking> for advice on how to get it better.> > I've been trying to keep it covered both to keep him from licking it> and to cushion it as he drags his back legs as he is moving about both> in and out side.> > I've been wiping it down with a cotton ball soaked in CS/DMSO, letting> it air dry and applying corn starch (it weeps some), then covering> with a cotton bandage square and then wrap with Kerlix and then a bit> of vet wrap (wrap that sticks to itself). Lately I've been putting an> old white sock over his leg and placing vet wrap around the top to I> don't have to tape it to his fur. Then I put some athletic tape around> the stock to give the sock some body. By the end of the day the stock> is pulled down a bit, but is still covering the area. > > At night, I remove it all so he gets some air to it.>

> The area is not getting any worse, but not getting better either. Does> anyone have any suggestions as to what would help?> > Janet> > > > > > List Home Page:> > http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/DimethylSulfoxide-DMSO> > Books:> DMSO Nature's Healer by Morton > MSM The Definitive Guide by Stanely MD and Appleton, ND >

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I always forget to do that, because I

only buy raw local honey. Also, I heard from a gentleman that 2 ladies he

knew got rid of their surgery scars by putting raw honey on every night.

I assumed the dog's wound would have to be covered if it was from being

dragged as the dog walked. You wouldn't want to keep dirt in the wound from

dragging and would have to cover it while the dog was up walking. It could

be uncovered at night while the dog slept. Unless I read that wrong?

Samala

Raw honey, that is, unheated honey. The stuff they clarify by heating isn't

worth much medicinally.

Speaking of diabetic ulcers, I read where a naturopath had great results

with leg and foot ulcers (not necessarily diabetic) by using a castor oil

bandage--changing it every few days. It too will draw and impart some sort

of healing.

Yes, sugar is a great healer too. I had an older friend that got an ulcer on

her leg and it wouldn't close. She couldn't afford the medicine and her

doctor was a young guy, but said to her " oh, never mind the medicine. Just

go home and put sugar on it every day " !! I was surprised he even knew about

that. She did, and the ulcer healed right up.

Samala

From personal experience (hospital bedsores suffered by my mother), using plain

ordinary table sugar as a wound dressing is highly effective. All we did (in the

hospital) is clean the wound with 3% hydrogen peroxide and packed the wound with

sugar and taped it up. We changed the dressing twice daily. I read about this

procedure in " Health and Healing " , by Dr. n Whitaker in the Sept. 1991 or

1992 issue. A 5 year study was done using sugar as a wound dressing (even on

diabetic ulcers) with remarkable results. This procedure is used rountinely in

other countries around the world (Poland & the ines for example). It is

not used in the Western world for one simple reason. YOU CANNOT PATENT SUGAR!!

Honey also works but it is much messier to work with. Barb

Poor dog....have you tried probiotics for him? any chance of getting him a doggie wheel chair?....best wishes for him...debbie"janet.duncan" wrote: My dog, Jericho, (6 yo GSD/x) has a pressure sore on his leg fromdragging it. He had back surgery in April of this year. I'm lookingfor advice on how to get it better.I've been trying to keep it covered both to keep him from licking itand to cushion it as he drags his back legs as he is moving

about bothin and out side.I've been wiping it down with a cotton ball soaked in CS/DMSO, lettingit air dry and applying corn starch (it weeps some), then coveringwith a cotton bandage square and then wrap with Kerlix and then a bitof vet wrap (wrap that sticks to itself). Lately I've been putting anold white sock over his leg and placing vet wrap around the top to Idon't have to tape it to his fur. Then I put some athletic tape aroundthe stock to give the sock some body. By the end of the day the stockis pulled down a bit, but is still covering the area. At night, I remove it all so he gets some air to it.The area is not getting any worse, but not getting better either. Doesanyone have any suggestions as to what would help?Janet __________________________________________________

Glad you asked. She was admitted to the hospital suffering from acute pancreatitis, which I am sure was caused by 30 years of prescription drugs (she was misdiagnosed as schizophrenic) . While there they also amputated one leg. During her 18 month stay, she naturally developed a severe pressure sore at the base of her spine (I could actually see her tail bone)! When we approached administration with our sugar request, we were met by a brick wall. Our mother was suddenly moved from just outside the nurses' station in a semi-private room, to the end of the hall with 3 other patients. It took us a week of fighting with hospital administration before they finally allowed sugar to be introduced (we had to provide the sugar). You see, they wanted to perform surgery $$$$$$$!. When administration saw that the sugar was actually healing the pressure sore, they removed all her feeding tubes, I.V's, etc., and kicked her into the paliative care unit (obviously hoping she would die). She defied everyone and recovered. The only physical evidence of that deep pressure sore was (she has since passed on into another reality) a tiny indentation. This, in spite of the fact her doctor dared to tell me that the deep gaping hole would not fill with new flesh. Well, it did!! The staff had mixed feelings - some for, others against. Two nurses (one from Poland and the other from the ines) told us this was routinely used in their country/s. The head nursed said - "You know sugar is not sterile, don't you?" To which my brother replied - "Tell me the last time you saw moldy sugar." Her doctor/surgeon and hospital administration were livid. Her surgeon actually called the hospital "my" hospital (we're talking Canada, where the hospitals are not private). We combed the medical library for any info on this procedure and did get our hands on a copy of the results of a 5 year study using sugar as a wound dressing. Unfortunately, we did not make copies. The only thing I can find on the net is reference to the study but not the actual article itself. If anyone can find it please pass it on. Barb See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve & db=PubMed & dopt=Abstract & list_uids=7302631

Hi Barb. Wonderful story. And thanks for posting. Just curious, what was the attitude of the hospital employees. ie. nurses, doctors. I ask because I've met up with so much opposition over the years when dealing with hospital employees...mostly due to strict alligence to hospital "ways" or routine. I found reluctance right down to using Lavender Essential Oil to wipe down bed rails and utility items such as telephones. This I found was mostly due to an attitude of just not wanting to accept anything out of the ordinary....which I find to be a rather ignorant attitude in spite of extensive medical training.Carol Ann

I suspect they moved your mother to palliative care unit because they realized the might of her families will and determination and the reality that there was no further profit to be made from her sickness. It never occurred to me, but you're absolutely right. Regardless of how long I've stored sugar, regardless of storage conditions or containers, I have NEVER seen mold. It is my opinion after years of experience that no one (especially those incapacitated) should ever been left alone in a hospital setting without an aggressive and determined Advocate to keep vigil. Barb Leppky wrote: Our mother was suddenly moved from just outside the nurses' station in a semi-private room, to the end of the hall with 3 other patients. It took us a week of fighting with hospital administration before they finally allowed sugar to be introduced (we had to provide the sugar). You see, they wanted to perform surgery $$$$$$$!. When administration saw that the sugar was actually healing the pressure sore, they removed all her feeding tubes, I.V's, etc., and kicked her into the paliative care unit (obviously hoping she would die). She defied everyone and recovered. Carol AnnPeople should not be afraid of their Governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."V"

Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out.

Microbes do not grow in sugar. It is also an excellent way to draw water

or edema from tissue because it is so " hgroscopic " that is it attacts

and holds water.

A very popular remedy is to mix sugar with Betadine Oinmnet to the

consistency of runny peanut butter, not too thick because it will

thicken a bit over night. Tested against all topical antibiotics it

proved superior even on gangrene. I have used it for years in my horses

and dogs. I only use Betadine brand povidone iodine since some of them

are oinmtment based and you need a non-greasy base like Betadine brand.

Silica will also attract and hold water. It is used in superabsorbent

diapers. It can be purchased at nurseries and craft stores. Nurseries

sell it as a product to add to soil to keep more water in the dirt.

Garnet

Carol Ann wrote:

>

>

> I suspect they moved your mother to palliative care unit because they

> realized the might of her families will and determination and the

> reality that there was no further profit to be made from her sickness.

> It never occurred to me, but you're absolutely right. Regardless of how

> long I've stored sugar, regardless of storage conditions or containers,

> I have NEVER seen mold.

>

> It is my opinion after years of experience that no one (especially those

> incapacitated) should ever been left alone in a hospital setting without

> an aggressive and determined Advocate to keep vigil.

>

> */Barb Leppky /* wrote:

>

> Our mother was suddenly moved from just outside the nurses' station

> in a semi-private room, to the end of the hall with 3 other

> patients. It took us a week of fighting with hospital

> administration before they finally allowed sugar to be introduced

> (we had to provide the sugar). You see, they wanted to perform

> surgery $$$$$$$!. When administration saw that the sugar was

> actually healing the pressure sore, they removed all her feeding

> tubes, I.V's, etc., and kicked her into the paliative care unit

> (obviously hoping she would die). She defied everyone and recovered.

>

>

>

>

>

> Carol Ann

>

> People should not be afraid of their Governments. Governments should be

> afraid of their people.

> " V "

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out.

> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42974/*http://www.yahoo.com/preview>

>

Hi Garnet,This information is so important when considering the potential of health crisis predictions. I can't thank you all enough. Garnet wrote: Microbes do not grow in sugar. It is also an excellent way to draw water or edema from tissue because it is so "hgroscopic" that is it attacts and holds water. A very popular remedy is to mix sugar with Betadine Oinmnet to the consistency of runny peanut butter, not too thick because it will thicken a bit over night.

Tested against all topical antibiotics it proved superior even on gangrene. I have used it for years in my horses and dogs. I only use Betadine brand povidone iodine since some of them are oinmtment based and you need a non-greasy base like Betadine brand. Silica will also attract and hold water. It is used in superabsorbent diapers. It can be purchased at nurseries and craft stores. Nurseries sell it as a product to add to soil to keep more water in the dirt. Garnet Carol Ann wrote: > Carol AnnPeople should not be afraid of their Governments. Governments should be afraid of their

people."V"

Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com

l have a very old book called 'What to do til the Veterinarian comes' that l memorized years ago before my vision became unusable for book reading. One remedy for eye disorders was to grind sugar to a powder and blow it into a horses eye. That vet theorized that the sugar attracted and fed white blood cells that in turn fought off infection and promoted healing. Very interesting book if anyone could find one l highly recommend it.

Kathy

Microbes do not grow in sugar. It is also an excellent way to draw water or edema from tissue because it is so "hgroscopic" that is it attacts and holds water.

Sounds like an interesting book. But powder in the eyes. Sounds painful.

Samala

L have a very old book called 'What to do til the Veterinarian comes' that l

memorized years ago before my vision became unusable for book reading. One

remedy for eye disorders was to grind sugar to a powder and blow it into a

horses eye. That vet theorized that the sugar attracted and fed white blood

cells that in turn fought off infection and promoted healing. Very

interesting book if anyone could find one l highly recommend it.

Jericho's pressure sore is starting to look a lot better and until today I have only applied the sugar at bandage change time (1x per day). Today I left some sugar under his bandage. I been worried it would be too abrasive on his skin with his dragging it. And I feel a bandage is necessary during the day to keep it clean and protect it from friction from the carpet and when he goes outside.I plan to keep up the sugar and hopefully it will get well enough that a sock or boot could protect his leg until he gets walking upright. Which, btw, yesterday I was so excited. He started using his back left leg when I had him standing in the back yard. He took off walking on his front legs and was actually moving his one back leg with his front ones. He doesn't do it every time, but he has done it

on 2 separate occasions. He's been down 6 months and this is GREAT news (I hope). I intend to keep having him walking more (if my back holds out). He has had 3 acupuncture treatments in the last couple of weeks. This could be a big reason for the leg improvement.Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions. I am keeping them all in case I need to make a change for some reason. Janet DuncanUniversity of Southern Indiana - Go Eagles!If at first you don't succeed, try again. If you still don't succeed. Try again and again and again. Tippy and Jericho RE: dog with pressure sore

This is fascinating information,

Barb! My daughter has an ulceration? I guess you would call it

.. Have looked at a lot of toe diseases and

think it might be paronychia, which is a staff type infection

.. We have tried antibiotics, both internal and

topical, microelectricity, CS, DMSO, urine, you name it it doesn¢t seem

to help very much or for very long .

Last night I packed it in sugar and there appeared to be some improvement

.. I can only pack it at night as bandages

are too uncomfortable for her to wear at school .

She is in marching band and that is hard enough on the feet without an injury

because of the type of shoes she has to wear with the uniform

.. I am going to see how this goes

.. Nikki

There is a perfectly good reason why sugar is always

rationed during times of war .

Rest assured it is NOT because it is needed in the soldiers' tea and

coffee! It is used as a wound dressing .

We met a fellow whose family lived in

France during WW11

.. He told us, everytime bombs were dropped on

a city, sugar carts were employed to shovel sugar onto the dead and wounded

.. This prevented infection from setting in on

those who were still alive and preventing stench from rotting flesh of those

who were dead . This also gave

the doctors a much more pleasant environment to work in as they made their way

through the streets separating the dead from the wounded

.. Sugar is truly a valuable commodity on the

battle fields (its only enemy that I know of is excessive moisture - water)

.. Sugar will still flow in temperatures

exceeding well over 100 degrees or temperatures well below freezing

.. The same cannot be said about honey

.. Barb

That sounds like a fungal infection. I have my doubts if sugar would work on a fungus (since fungi actually thrive on sugar). I would suggest to have it properly diagnosed and if it is a fungus, then you may want to give one of the following a try - camphor, tea tree oil or oil of oregano. All are powerful anti-fungal agents. Good luck! Barb

RE: dog with pressure sore

This is fascinating information, Barb! My daughter has an ulceration? I guess you would call it. Have looked at a lot of toe diseases and think it might be paronychia, which is a staff type infection. We have tried antibiotics, both internal and topical, microelectricity, CS, DMSO, urine, you name it it doesn’t seem to help very much or for very long. Last night I packed it in sugar and there appeared to be some improvement. I can only pack it at night as bandages are too uncomfortable for her to wear at school. She is in marching band and that is hard enough on the feet without an injury because of the type of shoes she has to wear with the uniform. I am going to see how this goes.

Nikki

One thing I did forget to mention is that, 48 hours after we began to apply sugar to my mother's pressure sore, she informed us the pain was next to gone. Maybe the same happens with animals? Barb

Jericho's pressure sore is starting to look a lot better and until today I have only applied the sugar at bandage change time (1x per day). Today I left some sugar under his bandage. I been worried it would be too abrasive on his skin with his dragging it. And I feel a bandage is necessary during the day to keep it clean and protect it from friction from the carpet and when he goes outside.I plan to keep up the sugar and hopefully it will get well enough that a sock or boot could protect his leg until he gets walking upright. Which, btw, yesterday I was so excited. He started using his back left leg when I had him standing in the back yard. He took off walking on his front legs and was actually moving his one back leg with his front ones. He doesn't do it every time, but he has done it on 2 separate occasions. He's been down 6 months and this is GREAT news (I hope). I intend to keep having him walking more (if my back holds out). He has had 3 acupuncture treatments in the last couple of weeks. This could be a big reason for the leg improvement.

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions. I am keeping them all in case I need to make a change for some reason. Janet DuncanUniversity of Southern Indiana - Go Eagles!If at first you don't succeed, try again. If you still don't succeed. Try again and again and again. Tippy and Jericho

Thanks for the valuable info! Why then are people suffering from Candida told to avoid sugar, honey, dried fruits, cookies, candies, jam etc.,? My "Encyclopedia of Natural Healing" says this - Candida yeast thrives on sugar. And then lists all the above 'sugar' items. page 560. I make my own wine and bread and I do know this much - yeast DOES thrive on sugar - all types of sugars. Nor did I ever suggest that treating a wound with sugar would encourage fugal growth. And what determines our blood sugar levels if not the very foods we eat?

>A little information misinterpretted is a dangerous thing Barb. Sugar> is a very broad term and means much more than sucrose. The sugar that> Candida feeds on in the body is not sucrose / table sugar! It is blood> sugar which is d-glucose, only. > > Starches (chains of sugars) and all simple or compound sugars are> convert to d-glucose in the mouth and stomach. There is more specific> information in any good physiology or biochemistry text book if you> want the exact pathways. Look up the digestive enzymes and where they> are secreted. > > Candida occupies the lower gut, for the most part, where its only> access to sugar is what is carried in blood. Although it can also> occur in the lungs, sinuses and other body organs. It is not feeding> on the sugars in your diet. And it does not grow on table sugar so> treating a wound with sugar does NOT encourage fungal growth. What> does encourage fungal growth in a wound is leaking plasma, which> contains d-glucose. Sugar absorbs and removes the leaky plasma so that> fungus does not grow in the wound. > > Garnet>>