RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: The reason for PSSD and how it may be eliminated

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is an excellent post and I can confirm much of it, particularly the Wellbutrin/Bupropion and the effects of alcohol.Has anyone tried Requip or Mirapex? Based on the small amount of research I've done it seems they have some fairly frequent side effects.Subject: The reason for PSSD and how it may be eliminatedTo: "SSRIsex " <SSRIsex >Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 1:32 PM

To: SSRIsex Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:01 PM Subject:It's relatively new and seem to be a reliable information. Here: http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52696 & highlight=pssd

The reason for PSSD and how it may be eliminated

I want to write a post about what I have learned about PSSd after researching it since 2007 and recently found a doctor who took paxil and sufferes from PSSD.

He told me why quitting paxil might make you worsh off than being on the drug. And remember I am only talking about the sexual sides, I am not addressing all the other problems of withdrawl.

First. When you take an SSRI you are not only increasing serotonin but you are downlegulating dopamine. How does this happen? Well, SSRIs alters the activity of Serotonin receptors, that leads to dopamine transporters to transport more dopamine to where it can be used for re-uptake. This leads to less dopamine being available for dopamine receptors to use. Not only do you have less dopamine but SSRIs seem to "trick" dopamine transporters into producing serotonin signals, resulting in more serotonin. Dopamine receptors increase as the brain tries to make up for less dopamine. This will make the dopamine receptors supersenzitive, especially the D2 and D3 receptors. In some rare cases SSRI's can increase the dopamine receptors so much that people become hypersexual when on SSRI's, usually that is not the case though. When one stops taking the SSRI, there is less activity in the dopamine transporters, leading to less dopamine being used for re-uptake, this leads to increase in dopamine that the receptors bind to. This is the reason for the increase in sex drive when you first quit

the SSRI. With time, the brain stabilizes the increase in dopamine so you are yet again left with less dopamine, but the worst part is, you are not taking the SSRI anymore so there is less dopamine receptors activity. You are left with less dopamine and less activity from the dopamine receptors resulting in persistant sexual dysfunction. Though SSRIs don't have a direct dopamine antagonist effect, quitting the drug seriously effects those receptors. Dopamine also inhibits prolactin, and

as we know prolactin is a libido killer. When men have an orgasm normally, dopamine decreases, this will cause a rise in prolactin, that is the reason men are not "horny" right after having sex. PSSD

sufferes often have elivated Prolactin, do to too little dopamine activity. That's why they are not in the mood for days sometimes after having sex.

Now what can be done. There are 3 options, waiting till you recover. That can for some take a long time, many years even. 2, you can find a way to increase dopamine without another drug. Light excercise has been shown to increase dopamine but regular light exercise have shown to increase the activity of dopamine receptors. b-6 vitamin has shown to increase the enzime that converts L-Dopa to dopamine. This was proven many a long time ago when reseasrching cures for Parkinson's. You have to take up to 40-50mg of b6 though to see any difference. b-6 has been shown to decrease prolactin too. Taking Zinc will increases testosteron by decreasing estogen. The increase in testosteron is only temporary though, unfortunately. There are some food that increase dopamine. Stay away from caffein and alcohol, or at least consume less of it.

If you have waited years and no improvement and the natural approach doesn't make any difference, there is another way. There are medication that will increase dopamine and dopamine receptors. I know the people here are against all drugs of any kind, the truth is in some cases medication is the only way to restore sexual function in PSSD

sufferes. I agree with the good people here that the best way is to wait, in most cases things will restore themselved. Unfortunately some people don't recover, and that's the horrid truth. Medication should only be used for PSSD if everything else has failed. There are many who have commited suicide over their PSSD.

Should they have used medication first to see if things improved, YES, of course. I am not recommending these drugs at all, but they should be used if things don't improve after years of being off the SSRI. Let's not forget that quality of life is important and sex is part of that. I know the mods will be so mad at me for even suggesting another drug. This post is not meant to influence people to become dependent on another drug but it's only to give PSSD sufferers information.

What medication can be used.

Wellbutrin is a dopamine re-uptake inhabitor, as well as being a norepinephrine inhabitor. Wellbutrin binds to the dopamine transporters,

leaving less dopamine to be used for re-uptake. Many doctors have used Wellbutrin as a way to combat SSRI sexual dysfunction and done so successfully. I have tried Wellbutrin and it did elivate my sex drive alot. I quit taking it though because I wanted to try the natural way. I

walked an hour a day and used Zinc and b-6 and that made a huge differense. The increase in sex drive from Wellbutrin was more intense though. I did not mention Wellbutrin in earlyer post because I so want people to try the natural way first. I am prove that it makes a difference. The downside to using Wellbutrin is you might have to increase ther dosage with time and your sex drive will be totally dependant on the drug. You wouldn't want to ever quit it. Wellbutrin might also incrase anxiety in some people and cause mania.

Dopamine agonist can be used to treat PSSD.

Doctors have used them with good success. There is also an ongoing clinical trial to test the effectiveness of the dopamine agonist Requip (ropinirole) in reversing the symptoms of SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction and Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction. The drugs that can be used

are Mirapex and Requip. Only small doses should be used as big doses might give you horrible side effects including hallicination and compulsive behaviors. These drugs are used for Restless legs syndome and

in big doses for Parkinsons. People should be warned that dopamine agonist have caused hypersexuality, compulsive shopping and gambling and

ruined many peoples lives. In those cases, big doses were usully involved. Mirapex and Reqiup work well on the D3 receptors and D3 receptors control behaviour and sexual pleasure. Dopamine agonist have shown to inhibit prolactin too.

Again, I urge every one to try EVERYTHING else before thinking about medication. The brain has a funny way of fixing itself, it just takes alot of time and you have to be VERY patient. The psychological part plays a big part in PSSD to I know that myself. In fact PSSD

is a combinition of chemical imbalance and incresed anxiety over the sexual dysfunction. I often found out years ago that when I was drunk, I

was less afraid to attempt sex and things worked much better. That only

proves that anxiety plays a part. Having a positive attitude maked all the difference. Negativity will only make things worsh. And remember to do light exercise every day. I hope this post will help someone. There is always hope and a way to have a better quality of life.