Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Introduction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you guys for the encouragement. As you all know that trying to

find the correct diagnosis can be frustrating. I have given all my AS

information to our family practice Dr. She is going to see on The

9th of May. If she can not help well I will find a new Dr. in Hawaii.

Did most of you guys know that your child was different from birth?

I have always known that their was something not right with . When

he was a baby he could not be held. Breast feeding was out of the

question. When I would hold him close to me he would arch his back and

try and get away. He spent most of the first year screaming. He would

get over stimulated by sound, light and toys. The only time he would not

scream seamed to be when he was in his swing. He would swing for hours

as soon as it stopped he would start to cry again. By the time he was

18months old the temper tantrums started. You never knew what would set

him off. He did not eat. He would not play with toys correctly, he

would just run around the house and tear things up. Toby and I were

going crazy. No help from our doctor they told me he was just being a

boy and not to worry. Language started around two. Normal language

development except for stuttering still in speech therapy. Fast forward

to age 7. has been tested for learning disabilities he has

problems with visual processing, auditory processing, overall processing

speed, and his short term memory. We are reviewing his IEP this next

week. His strengths are a superior verbal ability and math skill. Yet

he is having difficulty with reading, spelling, and handwriting.

has no friends at school or at home. He has a difficult time interacting

with other kids. right now all he cares about is pokemon and airplanes.

Well I have gone on long enough I look forward to hearing from everybody

again

God Bless,

Michele

YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!

Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Guest guest

Thank you guys for the encouragement. As you all know that trying to

find the correct diagnosis can be frustrating. I have given all my AS

information to our family practice Dr. She is going to see on The

9th of May. If she can not help well I will find a new Dr. in Hawaii.

Did most of you guys know that your child was different from birth?

I have always known that their was something not right with . When

he was a baby he could not be held. Breast feeding was out of the

question. When I would hold him close to me he would arch his back and

try and get away. He spent most of the first year screaming. He would

get over stimulated by sound, light and toys. The only time he would not

scream seamed to be when he was in his swing. He would swing for hours

as soon as it stopped he would start to cry again. By the time he was

18months old the temper tantrums started. You never knew what would set

him off. He did not eat. He would not play with toys correctly, he

would just run around the house and tear things up. Toby and I were

going crazy. No help from our doctor they told me he was just being a

boy and not to worry. Language started around two. Normal language

development except for stuttering still in speech therapy. Fast forward

to age 7. has been tested for learning disabilities he has

problems with visual processing, auditory processing, overall processing

speed, and his short term memory. We are reviewing his IEP this next

week. His strengths are a superior verbal ability and math skill. Yet

he is having difficulty with reading, spelling, and handwriting.

has no friends at school or at home. He has a difficult time interacting

with other kids. right now all he cares about is pokemon and airplanes.

Well I have gone on long enough I look forward to hearing from everybody

again

God Bless,

Michele

YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!

Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Guest guest

I believe I am fortunate with the "mild" diagnosis of my 7-year-old, Charlie. However, even mild can cause much family stress as some of you no doubt know. We all just want so desperately for our children to succeed, be accepted by society, etc. I can't help but cringe inside when Charlie stands out a little too much, if you know what I mean.

Charlie was born 7 weeks prematurely, but weighed 5-15. I wasn't able to hold him for 4 or 5 days after his birth because he had breathing difficulty. And, of course, I went home from the hospital without him. But only for a couple of days. Somehow, I still blame myself whenever he is distant. But fortunately, he is primarily sweet, cuddly, etc. He likes feet also.

No, I did not really realize there was any problem (other than eccentricity) until he was about 4 years old. He liked to do a flapping motion with one of his hands, but his pediatrician said "it is just a mannerism, definitely nothing developmental." I accepted this, of course, because it was what I wanted to hear at the time. Yet, I did start to worry a bit inside.

I have been lectured more than once at a store for buying a young child a light bulb. People can be so cruel and lack understanding!! Yet, this child only plays with light bulbs and other mechanical things, is very careful with them, etc. etc. If I buy his brother a toy or computer game, how can I not get Charlie his heart's desire -- a 79 cent lightbulb?? His doctor said the obsession would be there regardless, so I choose to make him happy. He has bins full of lightbulbs in his room. And no, I do not even try to dust them.

He does not have temper tantrums (fortunately). He does sometimes make high pitched strange noises to himself (mostly at home now). At one time he told me the dingy, dingy, dingy, dink! noise he made was the sound that light bulbs make when they burn out!!! Perhaps he is right. I can't hear it, but I believe he does. He eats well, fortunately, most anything. He does not get enough sleep as he is hard to get to bed at night. His 10 year old brother, who adores him (they are inseparable) frequently lacks patience with Charlie. He cannot understand that Charlie does not do the things he does just to irritate him.

Charlie still prefers parallel play to actual interactive play, but he is pretty popular, and very popular with the girls. He seems to understand and get along better with the females. Comments from any males on the list?? He is noticeably clumsy in some ways (such as running), but an excellent swimmer and climber. He is into individual sports, not the team variety. I cannot imagine him playing baseball. He would probably see something of interest when he was on first or second base and wonder off to explore . . . . . . .

Enough from me!

Betty Jo Marshall

Re: introduction

Thank you guys for the encouragement. As you all know that trying tofind the correct diagnosis can be frustrating. I have given all my ASinformation to our family practice Dr. She is going to see on The9th of May. If she can not help well I will find a new Dr. in Hawaii. Did most of you guys know that your child was different from birth?I have always known that their was something not right with . Whenhe was a baby he could not be held. Breast feeding was out of thequestion. When I would hold him close to me he would arch his back andtry and get away. He spent most of the first year screaming. He wouldget over stimulated by sound, light and toys. The only time he would notscream seamed to be when he was in his swing. He would swing for hoursas soon as it stopped he would start to cry again. By the time he was18months old the temper tantrums started. You never knew what would sethim off. He did not eat. He would not play with toys correctly, hewould just run around the house and tear things up. Toby and I weregoing crazy. No help from our doctor they told me he was just being aboy and not to worry. Language started around two. Normal languagedevelopment except for stuttering still in speech therapy. Fast forwardto age 7. has been tested for learning disabilities he hasproblems with visual processing, auditory processing, overall processingspeed, and his short term memory. We are reviewing his IEP this nextweek. His strengths are a superior verbal ability and math skill. Yethe is having difficulty with reading, spelling, and handwriting. has no friends at school or at home. He has a difficult time interactingwith other kids. right now all he cares about is pokemon and airplanes. Well I have gone on long enough I look forward to hearing from everybodyagainGod Bless,Michele ________________________________________________________________YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Guest guest

I believe I am fortunate with the "mild" diagnosis of my 7-year-old, Charlie. However, even mild can cause much family stress as some of you no doubt know. We all just want so desperately for our children to succeed, be accepted by society, etc. I can't help but cringe inside when Charlie stands out a little too much, if you know what I mean.

Charlie was born 7 weeks prematurely, but weighed 5-15. I wasn't able to hold him for 4 or 5 days after his birth because he had breathing difficulty. And, of course, I went home from the hospital without him. But only for a couple of days. Somehow, I still blame myself whenever he is distant. But fortunately, he is primarily sweet, cuddly, etc. He likes feet also.

No, I did not really realize there was any problem (other than eccentricity) until he was about 4 years old. He liked to do a flapping motion with one of his hands, but his pediatrician said "it is just a mannerism, definitely nothing developmental." I accepted this, of course, because it was what I wanted to hear at the time. Yet, I did start to worry a bit inside.

I have been lectured more than once at a store for buying a young child a light bulb. People can be so cruel and lack understanding!! Yet, this child only plays with light bulbs and other mechanical things, is very careful with them, etc. etc. If I buy his brother a toy or computer game, how can I not get Charlie his heart's desire -- a 79 cent lightbulb?? His doctor said the obsession would be there regardless, so I choose to make him happy. He has bins full of lightbulbs in his room. And no, I do not even try to dust them.

He does not have temper tantrums (fortunately). He does sometimes make high pitched strange noises to himself (mostly at home now). At one time he told me the dingy, dingy, dingy, dink! noise he made was the sound that light bulbs make when they burn out!!! Perhaps he is right. I can't hear it, but I believe he does. He eats well, fortunately, most anything. He does not get enough sleep as he is hard to get to bed at night. His 10 year old brother, who adores him (they are inseparable) frequently lacks patience with Charlie. He cannot understand that Charlie does not do the things he does just to irritate him.

Charlie still prefers parallel play to actual interactive play, but he is pretty popular, and very popular with the girls. He seems to understand and get along better with the females. Comments from any males on the list?? He is noticeably clumsy in some ways (such as running), but an excellent swimmer and climber. He is into individual sports, not the team variety. I cannot imagine him playing baseball. He would probably see something of interest when he was on first or second base and wonder off to explore . . . . . . .

Enough from me!

Betty Jo Marshall

Thank you guys for the encouragement. As you all know that trying tofind the correct diagnosis can be frustrating. I have given all my ASinformation to our family practice Dr. She is going to see on The9th of May. If she can not help well I will find a new Dr. in Hawaii. Did most of you guys know that your child was different from birth?I have always known that their was something not right with . Whenhe was a baby he could not be held. Breast feeding was out of thequestion. When I would hold him close to me he would arch his back andtry and get away. He spent most of the first year screaming. He wouldget over stimulated by sound, light and toys. The only time he would notscream seamed to be when he was in his swing. He would swing for hoursas soon as it stopped he would start to cry again. By the time he was18months old the temper tantrums started. You never knew what would sethim off. He did not eat. He would not play with toys correctly, hewould just run around the house and tear things up. Toby and I weregoing crazy. No help from our doctor they told me he was just being aboy and not to worry. Language started around two. Normal languagedevelopment except for stuttering still in speech therapy. Fast forwardto age 7. has been tested for learning disabilities he hasproblems with visual processing, auditory processing, overall processingspeed, and his short term memory. We are reviewing his IEP this nextweek. His strengths are a superior verbal ability and math skill. Yethe is having difficulty with reading, spelling, and handwriting. has no friends at school or at home. He has a difficult time interactingwith other kids. right now all he cares about is pokemon and airplanes. Well I have gone on long enough I look forward to hearing from everybodyagainGod Bless,Michele ________________________________________________________________YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Guest guest

Enough from me!

Betty Jo Marshall

Guest guest

Betty Jo wrote

>Charlie still prefers parallel play to actual interactive play,

I'm still like that.

> but he is pretty popular,

Not here.

> and very popular with the girls. He seems to understand and get along

>better with the females.

That has been my way since i was eight.

>Comments from any males on the list?? He is noticeably clumsy in some ways

I'm clumsy all around but taught myself juggling and learned Tai Chi.

Ric

Guest guest

Betty Jo wrote

I'm still like that.

Not here.

Ric

Guest guest

Betty Jo wrote

I'm still like that.

Not here.

Ric

Guest guest

>>>>>Thank you guys for the encouragement.  As you all know that trying to find

the correct diagnosis can be frustrating.  I have given all my AS information to

our family practice Dr.  She is going to see on The 9th of May.  If she

can not help well I will find a new Dr. in Hawaii.

Did most of you guys know that your child was different from birth?<<<<<

Ha Michele,

Your stories of are so much the same as mine. Well, big part of it is.....

I also have always thought something was different about my RH. Even the

maternity nurse said from day 1 he was cross-grained and hot-tempered. Was I

angry with her for calling such a small babyboy SUCH NAMES.... :o)

Everything went wrong, like breast feeding, and hugging, and me asking only

myself : WHY is this baby so DIFFERENT?? But with RH having the best score after

his first, the 10-minutes-old-check-up, WHAT was I supposed to do than to BLAME

MYSELF ??!! : A nervous mama with a newborn baby, struggling with breast feeding

for hours and hours, and a 3yo yelling for attention.

RH was, well, in Holland we say the baby is 'overstretched'; very tensed. It was

as if he was always on the 'handbrake'.

Eating was more like choking..... Every touch he pushed away.... Clumsy he

was......

And so ENDEARING he was, with his big, questioning and wondering eyes.

He did lots of humming, even when he was less than 1 year old. On his first

birthday, he could hum large parts of songs..... Unique, amazing, I would say...

So RH, still cross-grained and hot-tempered, turned 2 and then babygirl was

born. A screaming, attention asking, little creature in the house, taking almost

ALL of mama's attention, breast and lap. AND all the FUSS with a stranger in the

house (maternity nurse) and ALL those VISITORS.......!

That is when RH's tantrums began. He hurt himself banging his head to the wall.

Threw himself on the ground.

And he couldn't be comforted :o(

RH didn't talk, well, only a word or two. But that time he could only

SCREAM. He screamed when he went to bed and he screamed when he woke up,

screamed when he wanted to drink, and when he didn't want to drink... He just

screamed all day long. If I think back of that time..... horrible time for RH it

was... poor guy.

But I must say it did work out one huge POSITIVE thing and that is that I

realized RH had to be checked for his behaviour.

Meanwhile, because his older brother RW was (still is :o)) hyperactive, I got a

book about ADHD from RW's teacher. And that is where one part told me a bit

about autism. Just saying that hyperactive behaviour COULD point to outing

frustration of a child having ASD.

After that day, it took more than a year for RH's dx PDD-NOS (for the

doctors thought he was deaf at first....). But comparing to lots of other ASD

kids, I say we are lucky to get the 'diagnose' when RH was just 3.

Now he will be 5 in June, and he is at a special school, in a group of 9.

And having to deal with 8 kids and 3 adults, is really much too much for him.

In 1-on-1-situations he is doing great.

Well, I could write a book. Won't do it now, though.... :o))

Trish,

blessed with 3 wonderful, hyperactive (never a dull day) kids

>> Het postadres van het autisme-spectrum: http://spectrumpost.zzn.com

Ontvang uw eigen Web-based E-mail service bij http://www.zzn.com

Guest guest

>>>>>Thank you guys for the encouragement.  As you all know that trying to find

the correct diagnosis can be frustrating.  I have given all my AS information to

our family practice Dr.  She is going to see on The 9th of May.  If she

can not help well I will find a new Dr. in Hawaii.

Did most of you guys know that your child was different from birth?<<<<<

Ha Michele,

Your stories of are so much the same as mine. Well, big part of it is.....

I also have always thought something was different about my RH. Even the

maternity nurse said from day 1 he was cross-grained and hot-tempered. Was I

angry with her for calling such a small babyboy SUCH NAMES.... :o)

Everything went wrong, like breast feeding, and hugging, and me asking only

myself : WHY is this baby so DIFFERENT?? But with RH having the best score after

his first, the 10-minutes-old-check-up, WHAT was I supposed to do than to BLAME

MYSELF ??!! : A nervous mama with a newborn baby, struggling with breast feeding

for hours and hours, and a 3yo yelling for attention.

RH was, well, in Holland we say the baby is 'overstretched'; very tensed. It was

as if he was always on the 'handbrake'.

Eating was more like choking..... Every touch he pushed away.... Clumsy he

was......

And so ENDEARING he was, with his big, questioning and wondering eyes.

He did lots of humming, even when he was less than 1 year old. On his first

birthday, he could hum large parts of songs..... Unique, amazing, I would say...

So RH, still cross-grained and hot-tempered, turned 2 and then babygirl was

born. A screaming, attention asking, little creature in the house, taking almost

ALL of mama's attention, breast and lap. AND all the FUSS with a stranger in the

house (maternity nurse) and ALL those VISITORS.......!

That is when RH's tantrums began. He hurt himself banging his head to the wall.

Threw himself on the ground.

And he couldn't be comforted :o(

RH didn't talk, well, only a word or two. But that time he could only

SCREAM. He screamed when he went to bed and he screamed when he woke up,

screamed when he wanted to drink, and when he didn't want to drink... He just

screamed all day long. If I think back of that time..... horrible time for RH it

was... poor guy.

But I must say it did work out one huge POSITIVE thing and that is that I

realized RH had to be checked for his behaviour.

Meanwhile, because his older brother RW was (still is :o)) hyperactive, I got a

book about ADHD from RW's teacher. And that is where one part told me a bit

about autism. Just saying that hyperactive behaviour COULD point to outing

frustration of a child having ASD.

After that day, it took more than a year for RH's dx PDD-NOS (for the

doctors thought he was deaf at first....). But comparing to lots of other ASD

kids, I say we are lucky to get the 'diagnose' when RH was just 3.

Now he will be 5 in June, and he is at a special school, in a group of 9.

And having to deal with 8 kids and 3 adults, is really much too much for him.

In 1-on-1-situations he is doing great.

Well, I could write a book. Won't do it now, though.... :o))

Trish,

blessed with 3 wonderful, hyperactive (never a dull day) kids

>> Het postadres van het autisme-spectrum: http://spectrumpost.zzn.com

Ontvang uw eigen Web-based E-mail service bij http://www.zzn.com

Guest guest

Hi: I don't know if Wanda has replied to you already, but that is a pretty heavy burden you have. You have held up incredibly well, with more energy than I can boast of. Your reference to adult conversation also struck home. WE need it a bit as well.

We just joined this circleand have three children, two austitic and one aspergers. Cheers! Dean

IntroductionHi everyone, My name is I'm a mother to 5 beautiful children and one wonderful step son. We all reside in NY. I'm a RN by profession yet I stay home with my children where I am needed most. My 3 yo son is Autistic, OCD, AMD, seizure tendencies and severe asthma. My 4 yo step son was diagnosised with Autism at 22 mos, yet I think that is a false diagnosis, either that or he is just on the very high functioning level. He was born cocaine addicted, with severe delays. When I first met him he had many 'signs' of Autism, now they aren't as apparent. My 10 mos old (7 mos adjusted) daughter was born at 28 weeks gestation, she has had a VERY rough start, she is my fighter and has pulled thru with such success, she has severe delays and many health alliments...she is awaiting a liver transplant with possible lower bowel as well. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I LOVE to talk...being home with my lovely children can get a bit hairy sometimes...adult convo is much appreciated and sometimes needed :>)Thank you for listening Take care------------------------------------------------------------------------Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com:http://click./1/4052/2/_/_/_/958690356/------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest guest

Hi: I don't know if Wanda has replied to you already, but that is a pretty heavy burden you have. You have held up incredibly well, with more energy than I can boast of. Your reference to adult conversation also struck home. WE need it a bit as well.

We just joined this circleand have three children, two austitic and one aspergers. Cheers! Dean

IntroductionHi everyone, My name is I'm a mother to 5 beautiful children and one wonderful step son. We all reside in NY. I'm a RN by profession yet I stay home with my children where I am needed most. My 3 yo son is Autistic, OCD, AMD, seizure tendencies and severe asthma. My 4 yo step son was diagnosised with Autism at 22 mos, yet I think that is a false diagnosis, either that or he is just on the very high functioning level. He was born cocaine addicted, with severe delays. When I first met him he had many 'signs' of Autism, now they aren't as apparent. My 10 mos old (7 mos adjusted) daughter was born at 28 weeks gestation, she has had a VERY rough start, she is my fighter and has pulled thru with such success, she has severe delays and many health alliments...she is awaiting a liver transplant with possible lower bowel as well. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I LOVE to talk...being home with my lovely children can get a bit hairy sometimes...adult convo is much appreciated and sometimes needed :>)Thank you for listening Take care------------------------------------------------------------------------Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com:http://click./1/4052/2/_/_/_/958690356/------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest guest

I agree with Dean! I read your intro and it reminded me not to whine too much! You are obviously an amazing mother, and I am sure this will greatly benefit the future of your children.

Welcome to the group! By the way, I have 3 sons: 22 years (mild ADHD - in college), 10 years (brilliant and NT, but not very patient), and 7 years (PDD-NOS/Aspergers).

Best regards,

Betty Jo Marshall

Guest guest

Ginger, welcome to the list and you never have to apologize for the length of

your post. It sounds like your hands are full, and you seem to be on the

right track in getting the help for your children and doing what's best for

them, bravo to you. I look forward to hearing more from you. Welcome to all

new members. For those of you who haven't done so already, please introduce

yourselves. Hello to all list members. Please keep posting. I enjoy reading

all the posts. When everyone is posting and contributing, we all can learn. i

know we are all busy, but it's wonderful to keep the list going and busy. So

please keep us all updated on what's going on. We all have something to

contribute, whether it be a poem, story, idea, treatment, question, websites,

recipe, craft idea, or just to vent. We are all here to learn from each other

and offer support. That's what this list is for. So, please continue to post,

and thanks to all. God bless, Sharon(moderator)

Guest guest

I know a lot of parents are against having their kids in special ed. But my

experience has been wonderful. My son's special ed teacher for the most part

understands him and she has taken the time to learn about his disability and

what to expect. She realized has noticed things that I hadn't picked up on.

Also they know ways to teach your kids that just regular teachers don't. My

son has made some major advances in the last 2 years in special ed. If he

had been left in mainstream they would have pushed him through and passed him

just to get rid of him. Whereas in this class he is actually learning and is

on his grade level. Although sometimes I do wonder where this woman's head

is like the drawing instance the other day but I guess everybody has bad days

and believe me it doesn't take long for my son to know how to push your

buttons.

Guest guest

How old is your son and how long have you had a dx?

Is he Autistic or AS?

Guess I should take some time and go through the old messages.

Jenni

>From: Sndreamer@...

>Reply-To: autism-aspergersegroups

>To: autism-aspergersegroups

>Subject: Re: Introduction

>Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:22:07 EDT

>

>I know a lot of parents are against having their kids in special ed. But

>my

>experience has been wonderful. My son's special ed teacher for the most

>part

>understands him and she has taken the time to learn about his disability

>and

>what to expect. She realized has noticed things that I hadn't picked up

>on.

>Also they know ways to teach your kids that just regular teachers don't.

>My

>son has made some major advances in the last 2 years in special ed. If he

>had been left in mainstream they would have pushed him through and passed

>him

>just to get rid of him. Whereas in this class he is actually learning and

>is

>on his grade level. Although sometimes I do wonder where this woman's head

>is like the drawing instance the other day but I guess everybody has bad

>days

>and believe me it doesn't take long for my son to know how to push your

>buttons.

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

My son is 9 , 10 next month and in the 5th grade. He was in regular classes

until he was in the third grade. That is when he was diagnosed High

Functioning Autistic or what they told us was that aspergers was just another

name for it. I think since then that there has been more defining of the

two. My interpretation now is that aspergers is the more verbal kids whereas

HFA includes kids are that can be almost completely nonverbal. In his case

he has no verbal impairment. He has the thought processing disorder that

makes it hard for him to think what he wants to say or write but he talks the

same as you and I. Another advantage of being in special ed is that he seems

not to realize he is different. In his regular class he is a sort of outcast

because he has behavior problems sometimes and it is hard for him to make

friends. While he is the only kid in his class that is autistic he still

fits in.. I am not sure what kind of disabilities the others have but his

teacher once said that about half of them took ritalin for ADHD. They all

seem normal when you go in the class. His teacher does not allow them to

make fun of another child. Hope this helps.

Guest guest

Welcome Jenni. This is a great list to learn. I look forward to hearing more

from you. Anyone else who hasn't introduced yourself, please feel free to do

so. Hope everyone is having a great week, God bless, Sharon(moderator)

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

, your son is the same age as mine. My son is 10. I am sure he

is aspergers, and am having him evaluated. He has all the symptoms, from what

I've read. I was wondering, when you noticed your son had problems and what

symptoms you noticed? Also, what tests did they give him to make the dx.? I'm

going through all this with my son and just trying to learn all I can. I have

3 younger boys, all dx autistic and odd, but they have problems with

language. We just found out has a 50% hearing loss in both ears, and

has to wear hearing aids. So it's one thing after another. Thanks for the

update and help, God bless, Sharon

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

and Sharon,

cannot socialize very well although he has gotten some better. He

loves karate so that is very good for his self esteem. He walks around

doing karate moves so that gives him a repetetive motion that is acceptable.

He hates a change in schedule and needs to be kept informed when the

family is going to do something. He paces a lot. He is infatuated with

machine parts and his room is full of stuff for building an airplane. He

obsesses about a topic. Building an airplane has stayed with him though

many have left. He often does not understand what the teacher is saying and

he hates small talk. Actually he is incapable of small talk! He will not

eat in front of other people. He does not understand metaphors or sayings.

If you say " I wanted to get that off of my chest " he will look at your

chest. When the teacher gives an assignment he will miss it every time.

Do any of these things sound like your boys?

Jenni

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

Guest guest

and Sharon,

cannot socialize very well although he has gotten some better. He

loves karate so that is very good for his self esteem. He walks around

doing karate moves so that gives him a repetetive motion that is acceptable.

He hates a change in schedule and needs to be kept informed when the

family is going to do something. He paces a lot. He is infatuated with

machine parts and his room is full of stuff for building an airplane. He

obsesses about a topic. Building an airplane has stayed with him though

many have left. He often does not understand what the teacher is saying and

he hates small talk. Actually he is incapable of small talk! He will not

eat in front of other people. He does not understand metaphors or sayings.

If you say " I wanted to get that off of my chest " he will look at your

chest. When the teacher gives an assignment he will miss it every time.

Do any of these things sound like your boys?

Jenni

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com