On Dec 29, 2007 2:17 PM, <julieobradovic@...> wrote:

> Hi Listmates,

>

> I am hoping some of you can help.

>

> I have a neurotypical 3 year old who started having night terrors about 9

> months ago, maybe longer. She yells out, screams, talks, and cries randomly

> at least once a night, sometimes 3 or more times. She doesn't remember them,

> is quickly consolable, and isn't awake during them or afterwards.

>

> Everything I've read says this is just a thing some pre-schoolers go

> through, and that if it's bad enough, you can get prescription medication.

>

> I'm not willing to go that route, but I am about to pull my hair out. I am

> exhausted from not sleeping through the night!

>

> I can't help but think the fact that this started right after a round of

> antibiotics for an ear infection is not a coincidence. I've tried Nystatin

> already for yeast, and that didn't seem to help her sleep.

>

> Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Is this some kind of

> deficiency or metal problem possibly (she is barely vaccinated...stopped

> after learning what happened to her sister)?

>

> Thanks,

>

>

>

Guest guest

Our son was the same way for a very long time. He did

not start sleeping through the night until he was

about 5 - 5 1/2. It was terrible, the lack of sleep .

On top of that having to take care of him with

multiple special needs and his sister who also has

multiple special needs. A sleep study showed every

time he would get up screaming in his sleep he would

stop breathing, some thing about the brain is

forgetting to breath when he sleeps. He is now almost

( in Feb) He will get another sleep study to see how

he is doing but might need a cpap to help him breath

while he is asleep.

For a while we used all natural melatonin. Give 1 mg

to child 8 hours before sleeping. If child is not

asleep 30 minutes after laying in bed gave one more i

mg pill of melatonin. It was all natural so it worked

for us.

Our son also has his tonsils and adenoids removed to

help. Do not think that helped much. I cold hear him

breathing so heavily through the kids monitor we have

in his room.

Good luck let us know how it all turns out.

Migdalia (DEE)

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Guest guest

Hi ,

My NT daughter had the same thing around that age. I finally linked it

to yogurt. She is 5 yo now and I tried a few times to reintroduce

yogurt back in her diet but after two days she starts not sleeping

well again. She never tested positive for casein IgG like her brother,

it is a real mystery to me.

Good luck finding what is bothering your little one,

>

> Hi Listmates,

>

> I am hoping some of you can help.

>

> I have a neurotypical 3 year old who started having night terrors

about 9 months ago, maybe longer. She yells out, screams, talks, and

cries randomly at least once a night, sometimes 3 or more times. She

doesn't remember them, is quickly consolable, and isn't awake during

them or afterwards.

>

> Everything I've read says this is just a thing some pre-schoolers go

through, and that if it's bad enough, you can get prescription medication.

>

> I'm not willing to go that route, but I am about to pull my hair

out. I am exhausted from not sleeping through the night!

>

> I can't help but think the fact that this started right after a

round of antibiotics for an ear infection is not a coincidence. I've

tried Nystatin already for yeast, and that didn't seem to help her sleep.

>

> Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Is this some kind of

deficiency or metal problem possibly (she is barely

vaccinated...stopped after learning what happened to her sister)?

>

> Thanks,

>

>

>

Guest guest

Night Terrors | Awakening to another reality?Posted by: chris in Night terrors, Salvia divinorum, Health, Consciousness

It’s night time, and your young child is in bed, asleep. Suddenly you hear crying, or maybe even a scream. You rush to the room to see your child sitting up in bed crying as if she awoke from a frightening dream. You ask what’s wrong, but she doesn’t seem to be aware of your presence and continues crying despite your efforts to console her.

She is having a night terror.

They occur more frequently in children than adults. They are rarely understood, and more frightening to observers than to the ones actually having the experience. In fact, very few even remember the experience the following day. Most of the time the episode ends with the person falling back to sleep.

My experience with night terrors

I experienced this several times as a child (we called it “waking up crying”). What was it like? Well, the distress wasn’t from a nightmare or anything that you might typically expect to be frightening. What I remember were vague, abstract, feelings and situations that my mind wasn’t able to wrap itself around. Imagine a massive boulder balanced on the tip of a pin, or sweeping a large room with just a pin. For some reason these concepts caused me so much distress. But I can see how these night terrors are related to sleep walking because sometimes I would get up and walk around. One time I walked to my parent’s room and started talking to them; in that espisode my visions involved drinking something and I was listing everyone who drank a certain drink and then I pointed to my parents and said (rather accusingly) “and you drank some, too”.

As I got older, the night terror episodes just stopped. Later I learned that many children experience them - including my own son. Maybe it’s genetic. Fortunately, I was familiar with the phenomenon and wasn’t alarmed the first time my wife and I witnessed it. It can be very distressing to watch if you don’t understand it. From the outside, it is very similar to sleep walking, except the person appears upset - maybe crying or even screaming. His eyes are usually wide open, but he is not awake. He is going though is own ordeal in his own mind and is not fully conscious of where he is or who you are, or if you are even there. He might mumble things that don’t make any sense, and maybe move his arms as if to interact with an environment that only he can see.

So what can you do about night terrors?

This is what psychologists currently understand:

Night terrors usually occur in the early part of the night, about 1 to 4 hours after going to sleep. It is a partial arousal from non-REM sleep, so the person is not in the middle of a dream, is not fully conscious, and yet somehow is acting as if he is awake. Most children outgrow night terrors as they get older.

When you encounter someone having a night terror, your first instinct might be to talk to him so that he’ll be comforted. But that doesn’t work. You should just hold him gently to make sure he doesn’t hurt himself, and then ride it out with him. And it’s best not to try to wake him up, as that only creates confusion. The episode usually doesn’t last too long and soon he falls back to sleep. Most of the time he won’t even remember what happened.

Most children eventually outgrow them, but there are a couple of things you might try in order to minimize the occurrence, especially if there seems to be a time when it’s happening frequently:

Make sure the child is getting enough sleep. Children who are overtired are more likely to have night terrors. Try waking the child an hour or two after he’s gone to sleep. This is typically just before night terrors occur, so the idea is to interrupt the process before it happens.

Night Terrors and Consciousness

Conventional science would say that during these episodes the person experiences a confused and distorted perception of reality. But there are alternative conclusions. Recent experiments with the mind altering substance DMT provides hints that our brains might in fact be interacting with alternate “realities”.

When large doses of DMT were administered to test subjects, most reported common experiences such as being visited by other beings, and also felt strongly that the experiences reflected a reality that was not just in their heads.

DMT is a substance produced in our brains, but there appear to be mechanisms in place to prevent our brains from producing or releasing large quantities under most circumstances. While not yet proven, it’s hypothesized that the brain releases larger quantities of DMT at various stages in life - such as birth, death, and sleep. Could some release of DMT at a certain stage of non-REM sleep be responsible for night terrors? If so, then perhaps the experience involves an awakening to another reality.

Another clue is the similarity in behavior I’ve noticed between those experiencing sleep walking/night terrors and those under the influence of another mind-altering substance - salvia divinorum. Salvia divinorum has been compared to DMT in its effects, and recent studies have demonstrated how quickly the active ingredient, salvinorin A, is processed by the human brain - just like DMT. In both the salvia and the night terror experience, the person is unaware of his surroundings, and many on salvia are distressed to some extent. Having experienced both (many do not remember their night terror experience), I can say that the feelings are very similar. You find yourself involved in a story-like environment that is not this reality and your brain has a difficult time making sense of it.

And I can attest to the unmistakable feeling that this alternate world is real.

Note to any salvia “sitters”: treat the salvia user as you would someone experiencing a night terror - let him ride it out quietly, making sure he remains physically safe during the trip. Don’t try to interact or engage with him in any way, other than to be quietly reassuring if needed.

Science may one day discover the link between sleep processes and substance-induced altered states of consciousness, leading to a better understanding of our minds and our perception of reality.

Reference: DMT: The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor’s Revolutionary Research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mystical Experiences