RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I recommend Cy-Fair ISD...my kids go there and I teach there,

I have also heard good things about Katy ISD.

Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

We currently live in Lubbock and were planning on moving to OKC in May but after joining a Oklahoma autism group I unfortunatly have heard nothing but bad about services in that state so we are thinking about just staying here but not in Lubbock. We know Texas does have good services but we are wondering where the BEST services and schools are in the state?

We are thinking about the Dallas area but I have heard alot on the boards about Houston also. We would prefer to live in a smaller town outside a big city but really want to be in the best area possible for our son.

Thanks for the info,

Within each of us there is an Owl, a Rabbit, an Eeyore, & a Pooh. For to long, we have chosen the way of Owl & Rabbit. Now, like Eeyore, we complain about the results. But that accomplishes nothing. If we are smart, we will choose the way of Pooh. As if from far away, it calls to us with the voice of a child's mind. It may be hard to hear at times, but it is important just the same, because without it, we will never find our way through the Forest. ~ The Tao of Pooh

Guest guest

We currently live in Lubbock and were planning on moving to OKC in May but after joining a Oklahoma autism group I unfortunatly have heard nothing but bad about services in that state so we are thinking about just staying here but not in Lubbock. We know Texas does have good services but we are wondering where the BEST services and schools are in the state?

We are thinking about the Dallas area but I have heard alot on the boards about Houston also. We would prefer to live in a smaller town outside a big city but really want to be in the best area possible for our son.

Thanks for the info,

Within each of us there is an Owl, a Rabbit, an Eeyore, & a Pooh. For to long, we have chosen the way of Owl & Rabbit. Now, like Eeyore, we complain about the results. But that accomplishes nothing. If we are smart, we will choose the way of Pooh. As if from far away, it calls to us with the voice of a child's mind. It may be hard to hear at times, but it is important just the same, because without it, we will never find our way through the Forest. ~ The Tao of Pooh

Guest guest

Where is Cy-Fair? I mean what city, also is Katy a city? Sorry I just actually moved to Texas in August.

Thanks,

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:05:58 AMSubject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

Thanks for the info,

Guest guest

If your son is in Elem. My son goes to Helms Community Learning Center, they have a very good Structure Classroom for exactly what a child with Autism needs. The teacher & aides for each child are great, and never leave the child alone while mainstreaming. The school is in Houston.

Angelic

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:13:58 AMSubject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

Where is Cy-Fair? I mean what city, also is Katy a city? Sorry I just actually moved to Texas in August.

Thanks,

From: Sara Caldera <sjcalderayahoo (DOT) com>To: Texas-Autism- Advocacy@ yahoogroups. comSent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:05:58 AMSubject: Re: [Texas-Autism- Advocacy] Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

[Texas-Autism- Advocacy] Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

Thanks for the info,

Guest guest

I guess that all depends on the actual school. I live in CYFAIR ISD and would not recommend it.

Thanks for the info,

Guest guest

I have been very happy with Cy-Fair ISD but have considered moving to the Austin area, Leander ISD to be specific. They have a great special education program there and you would be near great resources for autism, like Thoughtful House.

Subject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info,

Guest guest

Cy-Fair is the west/northwest area of Houston. Katy is a city itself and is immediately west of Houston.

Subject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks,

From: Sara Caldera <sjcalderayahoo (DOT) com>To: Texas-Autism- Advocacy@ yahoogroups. comSent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:05:58 AMSubject: Re: [Texas-Autism- Advocacy] Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

Thanks for the info,

Guest guest

We are in Leander ISD and LOVE our special ed

department. Giddens Elementary has an incredible team and we will not

move until the boys are at least out of Elementary because our school’s

program is that fantastic. This is our 6th year at Giddens

(starting with PPCD when the boys were 3 yrs old, moving to a year of ABA

before kindergarten, and continuing with daily social skills classes as they

progress in their mainstream classes). That is the pace my boys moved at,

but there are others who are still in an ABA classroom, with their appropriate

grade level curriculum. In the ABA classes (called SLE…Structured

Learning Environment), the teacher/student ratio is either 1:1 or 1:2. Our

teachers and aides are VERY well trained and are excellent at their jobs.

We also like living in a small town outside a larger

one. That’s why we chose Cedar Park and love it here. We

still get the uniqueness of Austin, but with a much smaller town atmosphere and

the safety and security that goes along with it,…..and Leander ISD’s

special ed program. (Our program is well known in the Austin area and

people move from all different school districts into ours, so that they can get

their spectrum kids into our autism program). Leander ISD is just north

of Austin and includes Leander, Cedar Park, and another small area out towards

Lake .

There are also some really good resources here for doctors

as well. Thoughtful House has a strong reputation, though we don’t

go there. We started with Dr. Kendal 4 years ago and have seen

amazing improvement in our boys.

Is our school the best? I don’t know. For

us, it is. For someone else? I don’t know.

Hope this helps.

in Cedar Park

For anyone who wants to send me their reasons why my school or

my doctor is not as great as I think it is…..DON’T. I’ve

been blasted before for recommending schools and doctors. asked for

our experiences and I am giving her mine.

Guest guest

,The teachers are certified in ABA? That is great! It is sooooo nice to hear about your very positive experience there!! Maybe more SD will follow in their footsteps!LesliUtUSent via BlackBerry from T-MobileDate: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:57:26 -0600To: <Texas-Autism-Advocacy >Subject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State? We are in Leander ISD and LOVE our special ed department. Giddens Elementary has an incredible team and we will not move until the boys are at least out of Elementary because our school’s program is that fantastic. This is our 6th year at Giddens (starting with PPCD when the boys were 3 yrs old, moving to a year of ABA before kindergarten, and continuing with daily social skills classes as they progress in their mainstream classes). That is the pace my boys moved at, but there are others who are still in an ABA classroom, with their appropriate grade level curriculum. In the ABA classes (called SLE…Structured Learning Environment), the teacher/student ratio is either 1:1 or 1:2. Our teachers and aides are VERY well trained and are excellent at their jobs. We also like living in a small town outside a larger one. That’s why we chose Cedar Park and love it here. We still get the uniqueness of Austin, but with a much smaller town atmosphere and the safety and security that goes along with it,…..and Leander ISD’s special ed program. (Our program is well known in the Austin area and people move from all different school districts into ours, so that they can get their spectrum kids into our autism program). Leander ISD is just north of Austin and includes Leander, Cedar Park, and another small area out towards Lake . There are also some really good resources here for doctors as well. Thoughtful House has a strong reputation, though we don’t go there. We started with Dr. Kendal 4 years ago and have seen amazing improvement in our boys. Is our school the best? I don’t know. For us, it is. For someone else? I don’t know. Hope this helps. in Cedar Park For anyone who wants to send me their reasons why my school or my doctor is not as great as I think it is…..DON’T. I’ve been blasted before for recommending schools and doctors. asked for our experiences and I am giving her mine.

Guest guest

I am also in Leander. 's boys had one year in the ABA class then

moved to mainstream with social skills support. I do not know of a

single child in a SLE class who is not mainstreamed who is doing grade

level academics. I have visited 5 elementary schools in Leander and

attended 2. The one on one my child received was hard fought. We

eventually got 1.5 hours a day of ABA one to one and 15 minutes a day of

inclusion. WHEN he was in 5th grade. He never had access to the general

ed curriculum and he never had a text book. He was not aggressive but he

was bitten several times and had bruises on him because the teachers

couldn't move fast enough to protect him. I think it is easier to help

higher functioning children and they do an excellent job with them. When

my son learned the RPM method and began to use the letter board the

first thing he said was " I am bored at school " and " I want to learn " . He

was doing kindergarten math in 5th grade and now he's a 7th grader doing

7th grade resource math. But it wasn't with ABA and it isn't in a SLE

room and he's included too with an aide for Science and Social Studies

and he is making A's and B's. So yes I would say Leander has been a

success but it has not been without work and dedication and RPM. There

is no curriculum for special education and unless they modify the

standard curriculum (such as in resource) you won't find it in SLE. You

cannot go to resource if your behaviors get in the way. It's a catch.

may not be seeing it because she moved on and the other parents may

have young kinder and 1st graders but if you have a 3rd, 4th and 5th

grader you may find yourself without a curriculum and without the

training necessary for the aides or the teacher to use RPM to teach

grade level academics. We cannot learn if we are not given the

materials. I was not given a text book until my son was in 6th grade and

we could show he could learn. Very different experience....

Trina

Rosseisen wrote:

>

> We are in Leander ISD and LOVE our special ed department. Giddens

> Elementary has an incredible team and we will not move until the boys

> are at least out of Elementary because our school’s program is that

> fantastic. This is our 6^th year at Giddens (starting with PPCD when

> the boys were 3 yrs old, moving to a year of ABA before kindergarten,

> and continuing with daily social skills classes as they progress in

> their mainstream classes). That is the pace my boys moved at, but

> there are others who are still in an ABA classroom, with their

> appropriate grade level curriculum. In the ABA classes (called

> SLE…Structured Learning Environment), the teacher/student ratio is

> either 1:1 or 1:2. Our teachers and aides are VERY well trained and

> are excellent at their jobs.

>

> We also like living in a small town outside a larger one. That’s why

> we chose Cedar Park and love it here. We still get the uniqueness of

> Austin, but with a much smaller town atmosphere and the safety and

> security that goes along with it,…..and Leander ISD’s special ed

> program. (Our program is well known in the Austin area and people move

> from all different school districts into ours, so that they can get

> their spectrum kids into our autism program). Leander ISD is just

> north of Austin and includes Leander, Cedar Park, and another small

> area out towards Lake .

>

> There are also some really good resources here for doctors as well.

> Thoughtful House has a strong reputation, though we don’t go there. We

> started with Dr. Kendal 4 years ago and have seen amazing

> improvement in our boys.

>

> Is our school the best? I don’t know. For us, it is. For someone else?

> I don’t know.

>

> Hope this helps.

>

> in Cedar Park

>

> For anyone who wants to send me their reasons why my school or my

> doctor is not as great as I think it is…..DON’T. I’ve been blasted

> before for recommending schools and doctors. asked for our

> experiences and I am giving her mine.

>

>

Guest guest

I am a therapist in the Dallas Metroplex, and I can say that there are many resources here, compared to smaller or out-lying Texas towns. I have had clients that live in smaller towns in surrounding areas..the metroplex encompasses quite a large area and there are really good service providers all over, so you could find or get services living in a smaller rural area. A few that come to mind are the Southlake/Colleyville area, Keller and the North Ft. Worth area- right next to Keller(nice but relatively inexpensive), and the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area. I have had clients in all of these areas that were happy with their schools and there are defiantly providers for that area. Some of those kids were in the public system, some in private, and some in charter schools...depends on what you are wanting....Feel free to e-mail if you guys decide to

move here. I know several excellent consultants and therapists in many areas. I could also put you in contact with a parent or two if you wanted to talk to them about schools and services...

Subject: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy , TexasAutismSupport Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info,

Guest guest

Yes, Katy is a city....well a small town might be more accurate. Its on the west side of Houston south and north of I-10.

Cy-Fair is more of an area.....it includes northwest Houston, Cypress, and the far north side of Katy which is where I live. www.cfisd.net

Subject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

Recent Activity

New Members

New FilesVisit Your Group

Yahoo! Health

Healthy Aging

Improve your

quality of life.

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Guest guest

It really does depend on the individual school. I'm in Cy-Fair as well, and moved here from New Jersey 4 years ago. We researched districts and individual elementary schools before moving since we had such great services up there, and ended up at Copeland Elementary in the Copperfield area of Houston. It has been an absolute blessing for my high-functioning son...the district has the resources (at least for what my son needs), and my school staff hasn't been afraid to ask for them; they've actually recommended some services without me having to request them. From what I understand, some principals are reluctant to ask for things, due to the almighty budget. Fortunately we haven't had that problem. What's most important to me is the love and support he's gotten...when I drop him off, every teacher who is

unloading kids will say hello to him, other teachers let him do things like change their calendars each month (a reward for him), and the environment is one of acceptance and support, especially from the other kids (he's mainstreamed in a co-teach classroom, with pull-out for speech). The kids argue over who gets to sit next to Connor next; some of his classmates were at a VBS with him this summer and literally took him under their wings and helped him have a great time...those relationships are because of the supportive environment he had; that support was learned from the other kids, and I've had parents tell me what a great experience it's been for their kids to be a "helper" for Connor. He's in 5th grade now, and I'm not sure what middle and high school will hold for him, but I know I'll miss having him at Copeland, and yet feel like they've done so much to make sure he is prepared for middle school.

Before moving here, I did hear some great reports on some schools in Cy-Fair, and some reports that were scary. If you find a school with a good reputation, make sure it has heavy parent involvement...that has kept Copeland consistent, IMO, since the parents don't want to lose anything they've gained. We've had a principal change a few years ago, and I was nervous based on what I had heard, but it's turned out great...we've got a great relationship, and I feel comfortable asking her for anything. I can only speak for myself in terms of the district and my own experiences, but I have to say that it's been absolutely great for my son and I, and I hate to see his time at Copeland Elementary come to an end this year....I hope middle school is just as supportive.

I guess this might make a decent testimony for Dan 's town hall meeting tonight, LOL. I would want to make the point that this type of support and environment should be expected at ALL Cy-Fair schools, at all levels, and not just at a random few. We shouldn't be hearing someone say that they're disappointed in the special ed services their Cy-Fair student is receiving; our district, as the third largest in the state, should strive to be the LEADER in providing the education and support our autistic kids need, especially now.

e

Subject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 10:54 AM

I guess that all depends on the actual school. I live in CYFAIR ISD and would not recommend it.

Thanks for the info,

Guest guest

Where is Leander ?

Subject: Re: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 8:57 PM

We are in Leander ISD and LOVE our special ed department. Giddens Elementary has an incredible team and we will not move until the boys are at least out of Elementary because our school’s program is that fantastic. This is our 6th year at Giddens (starting with PPCD when the boys were 3 yrs old, moving to a year of ABA before kindergarten, and continuing with daily social skills classes as they progress in their mainstream classes). That is the pace my boys moved at, but there are others who are still in an ABA classroom, with their appropriate grade level curriculum. In the ABA classes (called SLE…Structured Learning Environment) , the teacher/student ratio is either 1:1 or 1:2. Our teachers and aides are VERY well trained and are excellent at their jobs.

We also like living in a small town outside a larger one. That’s why we chose Cedar Park and love it here. We still get the uniqueness of Austin, but with a much smaller town atmosphere and the safety and security that goes along with it,…..and Leander ISD’s special ed program. (Our program is well known in the Austin area and people move from all different school districts into ours, so that they can get their spectrum kids into our autism program). Leander ISD is just north of Austin and includes Leander, Cedar Park, and another small area out towards Lake .

There are also some really good resources here for doctors as well. Thoughtful House has a strong reputation, though we don’t go there. We started with Dr. Kendal 4 years ago and have seen amazing improvement in our boys.

Is our school the best? I don’t know. For us, it is. For someone else? I don’t know.

Hope this helps.

in Cedar Park

For anyone who wants to send me their reasons why my school or my doctor is not as great as I think it is…..DON’T. I’ve been blasted before for recommending schools and doctors. asked for our experiences and I am giving her mine.

Guest guest

The

problem with your question , is that it sounds like you don’t

realize that each campus has local control—and so really, your question

doesn’t make sense. There are good individual campuses coming up

with good programs sprinkled here and there throughout the state like little 4

leaf clovers.

Sara

recommended Katy and Cy-Fair, yet I know of several families who have had nasty

due processes with both and would NEVER in a million years recommend either

district. In fact part of the problem with both of those districts is

that people heard that they had good programs, so they moved there. A

once good program became overwhelmed and became a mediocre to crappy program.

Someone

else recommended the Dallas metro-plex area, but the VAST majority of the

virulent pro-voucher (read anti public school) parents I know are from the

Dallas metro-plex area. . .leading me to believe that there can be major

problems there too.

Leander

sounds like an oasis of best practice. . . . . .but I bet there are some campuses

happy to be it’s dark underbelly.

The

deal is that you need to look at YOUR child’s specific needs—because

if your little guy is high functioning, you aren’t going to be interested

in the program at the school another parent is raving about because their child

isn’t speaking or toilet trained.

My

son is thriving at his school in Houston ISD, yet I know of 4 other families

who have either sued HISD or pulled their kids out. . . . .you can’t really

generalize it by area of the state. It’s by the campus. . .by the

program . . . .by the teacher. . . .by the principal. . . . .by the special ed

director. You have to look what campus has a program with a good teacher for

children with needs like YOUR child.

You

need to find a principal who will see your child as a CHILD and not a label (.

.. . .oh you have a GT kid or oh, you have an AU (autism) kid. . . ) .you

want to find a principal who says, tell me about your child and what he

needs. That principal is the one who will set the tone for teachers

to work WITH you and include you as part of the team; will support the teacher

to get the training that they need and provide substitutes so that they can go

to the trainings; will order curriculum, consultants and equipment, and will be

interested in doing what it takes to help your child thrive.

I

wish you luck in your search,

S.

<momof2busybees@ yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:02:16 AM

Subject: [Texas-Autism- Advocacy]

We currently live in Lubbock and were planning on moving to OKC in May but

after joining a Oklahoma autism group I unfortunatly have heard

nothing but bad about services in that state so we are thinking about just

staying here but not in Lubbock. We know Texas does have good

services but we are wondering where the BEST services and schools are in the

state?

We are thinking about the Dallas area but I have heard alot on the boards about

Houston also. We would prefer to live in a smaller town outside

a big city but really want to be in the best area possible for our

son.

Thanks for the info,

" Here in America we are descended in

blood and in spirit

from revolutionists and rebels - men and

women

who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine.

As their heirs, may we never confuse honest

dissent with disloyal subversion. "

Dwight D. Eisenhower

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.9.0/1771 - Release Date: 11/6/2008 7:58 AM

Guest guest

It is true that my sons are higher functioning, as is the

son of the lady who wrote the original post on this subject. I was told

that the kids in SLE have the same curriculum as the mainstream classes, but

that it is taught to them in a way that they can learn it, through many

different methods of behavior modification, depending on the needs of the individual

child. When my sons started SLE in the fall of 2004, I was told that ours

was the 2nd SLE class in the entire district, and that by the next

year, almost all of the elementary schools had an SLE class. The teacher

for our SLE class was Mandy , who, basically, started the autism program

in Leander ISD. Mandy has, since then, left teaching to return to UT for

her PHD in special ed. She has done many lectures for several local

autism groups and is an expert in ABA.

I am sorry that others have not had the great experience

with Leander ISD that my family has. Is it a timing issue? Perhaps.

My sons were ready for SLE just when it was becoming available at our school,

and when an incredible teacher was coming to start the program. Is it

that some schools are better than others? Possibly. Schools are

only as good as the teachers and staff. Is it that different levels of

severity do better in the program than others? Probably. My sons

sailed through the SLE class, started with 15 minutes of inclusion, and were

all day inclusion by spring.

So….basically….is any school “good”

or “bad”? I do believe that there are some really bad

programs out there, and I also believe that even great programs (just like great

doctors) are going to have individuals in it that are going to soar, and also

those who are going to struggle. It just depends on who you are talking

to.

Guest guest

Thanks for your very wonderful and honest opinion. I do realize that there is good and bad in every program and I know that there are thousands of programs in Texas I just wanted peoples opinions on what has worked for them because I cant go through every city and town in Texas and pick it apart. I wish I could.

Even here in Lubbock, my son is receiving very good services and I have not had a complaint but I have spoken to several families that were horrified by the services they have received so yes I totally get your point.

For our family we need to move out of Lubbock for reasons that have nothing do with my son so because of this I asked the question to get a general idea of where to look at moving so he could be in the best school possible and I found that. I do know we want to be in the Dallas or Austin area, possibly Houston area and if we can get an idea of where the better schools are then I will call each of those schools and talk to them directly. This is just a start.

Thanks again,

To: Autism List <Texas-Autism-Advocacy >Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:45:23 PMSubject: RE: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?

The problem with your question , is that it sounds like you don’t realize that each campus has local control—and so really, your question doesn’t make sense. There are good individual campuses coming up with good programs sprinkled here and there throughout the state like little 4 leaf clovers.

Sara recommended Katy and Cy-Fair, yet I know of several families who have had nasty due processes with both and would NEVER in a million years recommend either district. In fact part of the problem with both of those districts is that people heard that they had good programs, so they moved there. A once good program became overwhelmed and became a mediocre to crappy program.

Someone else recommended the Dallas metro-plex area, but the VAST majority of the virulent pro-voucher (read anti public school) parents I know are from the Dallas metro-plex area. . .leading me to believe that there can be major problems there too.

Leander sounds like an oasis of best practice. . . . . .but I bet there are some campuses happy to be it’s dark underbelly.

The deal is that you need to look at YOUR child’s specific needs—because if your little guy is high functioning, you aren’t going to be interested in the program at the school another parent is raving about because their child isn’t speaking or toilet trained.

My son is thriving at his school in Houston ISD, yet I know of 4 other families who have either sued HISD or pulled their kids out. . . . .you can’t really generalize it by area of the state. It’s by the campus. . .by the program . . . .by the teacher. . . .by the principal. . . . .by the special ed director. You have to look what campus has a program with a good teacher for children with needs like YOUR child.

You need to find a principal who will see your child as a CHILD and not a label (. . . .oh you have a GT kid or oh, you have an AU (autism) kid. . . ) .you want to find a principal who says, tell me about your child and what he needs. That principal is the one who will set the tone for teachers to work WITH you and include you as part of the team; will support the teacher to get the training that they need and provide substitutes so that they can go to the trainings; will order curriculum, consultants and equipment, and will be interested in doing what it takes to help your child thrive.

I wish you luck in your search,

S.

From: <momof2busybees@ yahoo.com>Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:02:16 AMSubject: [Texas-Autism- Advocacy] We currently live in Lubbock and were planning on moving to OKC in May but after joining a Oklahoma autism group I unfortunatly have heard nothing but bad about services in that state so we are thinking about just staying here but not in Lubbock. We know Texas does have good services but we are wondering where the BEST services and schools are in the state? We are thinking about the Dallas area but I have heard alot on the boards about Houston also. We would prefer to live in a smaller town outside a big city but really want to be in the best area possible for our son. Thanks for the info,

"Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit

from revolutionists and rebels - men and women

who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine.

As their heirs, may we never confuse honest

dissent with disloyal subversion. "Dwight D. Eisenhower

No virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG.Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.9.0/1771 - Release Date: 11/6/2008 7:58 AM

Guest guest

Why throw mud? We read our position as pro-choice, empower parents

with options and services and comply with FAPE and IDEA which are the

Federal Laws to help children with Special Needs, which means we can

see a value in Scholarships.

We support public schools, home-schooling and private schools as long

as it helps a Special Need family. We also think it is very vicious

to attack our families with FOR PROFIT law firms. Please don't

simplify our position for your spin.

The Spin stops here ... LOL

>

>

>

> The problem with your question , is that it sounds like you

don't

> realize that each campus has local control—and so really, your

question

> doesn't make sense. There are good individual campuses coming up

with good

> programs sprinkled here and there throughout the state like little

4 leaf

> clovers.

>

>

>

> Sara recommended Katy and Cy-Fair, yet I know of several families

who have

> had nasty due processes with both and would NEVER in a million years

> recommend either district. In fact part of the problem with both

of those

> districts is that people heard that they had good programs, so they

moved

> there. A once good program became overwhelmed and became a

mediocre to

> crappy program.

>

>

>

> Someone else recommended the Dallas metro-plex area, but the VAST

majority

> of the virulent pro-voucher (read anti public school) parents I

know are

> from the Dallas metro-plex area. . .leading me to believe that

there can be

> major problems there too.

>

>

>

> Leander sounds like an oasis of best practice. . . . . .but I bet

there are

> some campuses happy to be it's dark underbelly.

>

>

>

> The deal is that you need to look at YOUR child's specific needs—

because if

> your little guy is high functioning, you aren't going to be

interested in

> the program at the school another parent is raving about because

their child

> isn't speaking or toilet trained.

>

>

>

> My son is thriving at his school in Houston ISD, yet I know of 4

other

> families who have either sued HISD or pulled their kids

out. . . . .you

> can't really generalize it by area of the state. It's by the

campus. . .by

> the program . . . .by the teacher. . . .by the principal. . . . .by

the

> special ed director. You have to look what campus has a program

with a good

> teacher for children with needs like YOUR child.

>

>

>

> You need to find a principal who will see your child as a CHILD and

not a

> label (. . . .oh you have a GT kid or oh, you have an AU (autism)

kid. . .

> ) .you want to find a principal who says, tell me about your child

and what

> he needs. That principal is the one who will set the tone for

teachers to

> work WITH you and include you as part of the team; will support the

teacher

> to get the training that they need and provide substitutes so that

they can

> go to the trainings; will order curriculum, consultants and

equipment, and

> will be interested in doing what it takes to help your child thrive.

>

>

>

> I wish you luck in your search,

>

> S.

>

>

>

> From: <momof2busybees@ yahoo.com>

> Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:02:16 AM

> Subject: [Texas-Autism- Advocacy]

> We currently live in Lubbock and were planning on moving to OKC in

May but

> after joining a Oklahoma autism group I unfortunatly have heard

nothing but

> bad about services in that state so we are thinking about just

staying here

> but not in Lubbock. We know Texas does have good services but we are

> wondering where the BEST services and schools are in the state?

> We are thinking about the Dallas area but I have heard alot on the

boards

> about Houston also. We would prefer to live in a smaller town

outside a big

> city but really want to be in the best area possible for our son.

>

> Thanks for the info,

>

>

>

>

>

>

> " Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit

>

> from revolutionists and rebels - men and women

>

> who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine.

>

> As their heirs, may we never confuse honest

>

> dissent with disloyal subversion. "

> Dwight D. Eisenhower

>

>

>

>

> No virus found in this outgoing message.

> Checked by AVG.

> Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.9.0/1771 - Release Date:

11/6/2008

> 7:58 AM

>

Guest guest

I agree about DFW area - we moved to Southlake and just enrolled my 3 year old son into their blended preschool program. So far, our experience has been too good to be true. Sadly not too many people can afford to live within Carroll ISD and we couldn't either ourselves - we were lucky to be able to move in with my parents. But my pride isn't going to keep my son from better services. We can't afford private services either as my insurance refuses to cover ABA (don't get me started about useless "law" HB 1919 for children with autism). Besides, my son is high-functioning and will benefit more from blended preschool setting.Don't know if this is helpful since your situation is probably different (different aged kids, etc.?).Good luck!

Guest guest

Thanks for clarifying this virulent comment.

Calling scholarship supporters " anti-public school " is just like

calling parents who are pro-safe vaccine " anti-vaccine. " It's divisive

and inaccurate.

Parents who support educational options for children are not

anti-anything except perhaps the gravy train that ultimately feeds

private law firms with our tax dollars. We believe that money should

go to the education of children, not to fund the bottomless no-win

Texas system of " litigate your way to FAPE " no parent can possibly

outmatch.

I, for one, support scholarships for all children who need them to

access an appropriate education in time to actually do them some good,

and also support our local public school which we attend and love. I

don't see how that's " anti " anything.

> >

> >

> >

> > Someone else recommended the Dallas metro-plex area, but the VAST

> majority

> > of the virulent pro-voucher (read anti public school) parents I

> know are

> > from the Dallas metro-plex area. . .leading me to believe that

> there can be

> > major problems there too.

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

I find your comment and description of those of us parents who are pro-voucher extremely inappropriate and offensive.

You can disagree with us but you don't to resort to name-calling.

I looked up the exact meaning of "virulent" , and here is what I found out.:

1. Extremely infectious, malignant, or poisonous. Used of a disease or toxin. Capable of causing disease by breaking down protective mechanisms of the host. Used of a pathogen.

2. Bitterly hostile or antagonistic; hateful: virulent criticism. See synonyms at poisonous. .

3. Intensely irritating, obnoxious, or harsh.

By the way, you could consider me as anti-public school and am proud of it. Having come to the states from a socialist country where the government was in control of all the schools, jobs, businesses, I never understood how the American public have bought into the idea of public schooling anyway. That is another topic for another day and another forum.

Someone else recommended the Dallas metro-plex area, but the VAST majority of the virulent pro-voucher (read anti public school) parents I know are from the Dallas metro-plex area. . .leading me to believe that there can be major problems there too.

Guest guest

Again, when we have to address a post to an individual - only send it to that individual please.

M. GuppyMy autism journey isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.... Texas Autism Advocacy: www.TexasAutismAdvocacy.org

"There are some aspects of a person's life that we have no right to compromise. We cannot negotiate the size of an institution. No one should live in one. We cannot debate who should get an inclusive education. Everyone should. We cannot determine who does and who does not get the right to make their own choices and forge their own futures. All must."

Subject: Re: RE: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In The State?To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 4:39 PM

I find your comment and description of those of us parents who are pro-voucher extremely inappropriate and offensive.

You can disagree with us but you don't to resort to name-calling.

I looked up the exact meaning of "virulent" , and here is what I found out.:

1. Extremely infectious, malignant, or poisonous. Used of a disease or toxin. Capable of causing disease by breaking down protective mechanisms of the host. Used of a pathogen.

2. Bitterly hostile or antagonistic; hateful: virulent criticism. See synonyms at poisonous. .

3. Intensely irritating, obnoxious, or harsh.

By the way, you could consider me as anti-public school and am proud of it. Having come to the states from a socialist country where the government was in control of all the schools, jobs, businesses, I never understood how the American public have bought into the idea of public schooling anyway. That is another topic for another day and another forum.

Guest guest

When you get

the list of potential places narrowed down, don’t just call. Show

up at the school unannounced and ask to see their program. Even if you

can’t see the program, the staff’s attitudes and reaction to your

request will tell you a lot.

Tonya

Texas-Autism-Advocacy

[mailto:Texas-Autism-Advocacy ] On Behalf Of

Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:23 PM

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy

Subject: Re: RE: Where Are The Best

Services/Schools In The State?

Thanks

for your very wonderful and honest opinion. I do realize that there is good and

bad in every program and I know that there are thousands of programs in

Texas I just wanted peoples opinions on what has worked for them because I

cant go through every city and town in Texas and pick it apart. I

wish I could.

Even

here in Lubbock, my son is receiving very good services and I

have not had a complaint but I have spoken to several families that were

horrified by the services they have received so yes I totally get your point.

For

our family we need to move out of Lubbock for reasons that have nothing do

with my son so because of this I asked the question to get a general

idea of where to look at moving so he could be in the best school possible

and I found that. I do know we want to be in the Dallas or Austin area,

possibly Houston area and if we can get an idea of where the

better schools are then I will call each of those schools and talk to them

directly. This is just a start.

Thanks

again,

Within each of us there is an Owl, a Rabbit, an Eeyore, & a Pooh. For to long, we have chosen

the way of Owl &

Rabbit. Now,

like Eeyore, we

complain about the results. But that accomplishes nothing. If we are smart, we

will choose the way of Pooh. As

if from far away, it calls to us with the voice of a child's mind. It may be

hard to hear at times, but it is important just the same, because without it,

we will never find our way through the Forest. ~ The Tao of Pooh

To: Autism List <Texas-Autism-Advocacy >

Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:45:23 PM

Subject: RE: Where Are The Best Services/Schools

In The State?

The

problem with your question , is that it sounds like you don’t

realize that each campus has local control—and so really, your question

doesn’t make sense. There are good individual campuses coming up

with good programs sprinkled here and there throughout the state like little 4

leaf clovers.

Sara

recommended Katy and Cy-Fair, yet I know of several families who have had nasty

due processes with both and would NEVER in a million years recommend either

district. In fact part of the problem with both of those districts is

that people heard that they had good programs, so they moved there. A

once good program became overwhelmed and became a mediocre to crappy program.

Someone

else recommended the Dallas metro-plex area, but the VAST majority of the

virulent pro-voucher (read anti public school) parents I know are from the

Dallas metro-plex area. . .leading me to believe that there can be major

problems there too.

Leander

sounds like an oasis of best practice. . . . . .but I bet there are some

campuses happy to be it’s dark underbelly.

The

deal is that you need to look at YOUR child’s specific

needs—because if your little guy is high functioning, you aren’t

going to be interested in the program at the school another parent is raving

about because their child isn’t speaking or toilet trained.

My

son is thriving at his school in Houston ISD, yet I know of 4 other families

who have either sued HISD or pulled their kids out. . . . .you can’t

really generalize it by area of the state. It’s by the campus. .

..by the program . . . .by the teacher. . . .by the principal. . . . .by the

special ed director. You have to look what campus has a program with a

good teacher for children with needs like YOUR child.

You

need to find a principal who will see your child as a CHILD and not a label (.

.. . .oh you have a GT kid or oh, you have an AU (autism) kid. . . ) .you

want to find a principal who says, tell me about your child and what he

needs. That principal is the one who will set the tone for teachers

to work WITH you and include you as part of the team; will support the teacher

to get the training that they need and provide substitutes so that they can go

to the trainings; will order curriculum, consultants and equipment, and will be

interested in doing what it takes to help your child thrive.

I

wish you luck in your search,

S.

Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:02:16 AM

Subject: [Texas-Autism- Advocacy]

We currently live in Lubbock and were planning on moving to OKC in May but

after joining a Oklahoma autism group I unfortunatly have heard

nothing but bad about services in that state so we are thinking about just

staying here but not in Lubbock. We know Texas does have good

services but we are wondering where the BEST services and schools are in the

state?

We are thinking about the Dallas area but I have heard alot on the boards about

Houston also. We would prefer to live in a smaller town outside

a big city but really want to be in the best area possible for our

son.

Thanks for the info,

" Here

in America we are descended in blood and in spirit

from

revolutionists and rebels - men and women

who

dare to dissent from accepted doctrine.

As

their heirs, may we never confuse honest

dissent

with disloyal subversion. "

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.9.0/1771 - Release Date: 11/6/2008 7:58

AM

Guest guest

To clarify my statement: If you have

heard the debate about vouchers and support them, then YEAH! Good for

you. Advocate for vouchers! Post your opinion.

Bring us more information to support your position.

The two or three people that I was referring

to are those who have gone way beyond debating with those who disagree with

them. There have been people who left this TAA list after seeing the extreme

negativity of the voucher debate—and I’d be happy to find those

post in the TAA chatgroup records if you don’t believe me.

For the record, I am torn about

vouchers. I think there are a lot of good arguments for them, I just have

a bad gut feeling about them that no debate will make go away. I am

neutral about vouchers. I am NOT neutral about bullying

and trying to silence those parents of children with autism who may be against

them.

S.

Posted by: " M. Guppy " michellemguppy@... michellemguppy

Fri

Nov 7, 2008 3:18 pm (PST)

Again, when we have to address a post to an

individual - only send it to that individual please.

M. Guppy

My autism journey isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about

learning to dance in the rain....

Texas Autism Advocacy: www.TexasAutismAdvocacy.org

" There are some aspects of a person's life that we have no right to

compromise. We cannot negotiate the size of an institution. No one

should live in one. We cannot debate who should get an inclusive

education. Everyone should. We cannot determine who does and who

does not get the right to make their own choices and forge their own

futures. All must. "

Subject: Re: RE: Where Are The Best Services/Schools In

The State?

To: Texas-Autism-Advocacy

Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 4:39 PM

I find your comment and description of those of us parents who are pro-voucher

extremely inappropriate and offensive.

" You're

a shining star, no matter who you are.

Shining

bright to see, what you can truly be. "

Earth

Wind & Fire

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.9.0/1773 - Release Date: 11/7/2008 9:08

AM

Checked by AVG.

Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.9.0/1775 - Release Date: 11/8/2008 9:56 AM

Guest guest

Is it just me, or does this " clarification " sound more like a defense

of an ugly post and excusing another attempt to run off the last " two

or three " scholarship supporters on TAA from the Dallas area with an

extremely negative post, which was just admitted to have been directly

targeted at them?

Yes, this is certainly anything but a neutral position on bullying and

trying to silence parents on this list. And it doesn't present such a

great picture of free speech and tolerance.

I hope everyone continues to feel free to express their points of view

in a fair manner without being afraid of virulent posts, both on the

list and privately.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Someone else recommended the Dallas metro-plex area, but the VAST

majority of the virulent pro-voucher (read anti public school) parents

I know are from the Dallas metro-plex area. . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

>

> From: Mouser <HYPERLINK

> " mailto:ginaam%40sbcglobal.net " ginaam@...>

> Subject: Re: RE: Where Are The Best

Services/Schools

> In The State?

> To: HYPERLINK

>

" mailto:Texas-Autism-Advocacy%40yahoogroups.com " Texas-Autism-Advocacy@yahoog

> roups.com

> Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 4:39 PM

>

> ,

>

> I find your comment and description of those of us parents who are

> pro-voucher extremely inappropriate and offensive.

>

>