RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re:Chiggers and Goats

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We live in the heart of Chigger country and have free range chickens,and cut grass short around the house and paths to chicken coop ,shop,garden spot. My DW does'nt hardly get bit but i will easily, we hear not to eat bananas, we have neighbors with guineas ,but i don't like the sounds they make-some folks like me it annoys - and i don't wanna try to get used to it . We made up some organic spray with eucalytus ,mints and other essential oil and water- for the skin - it works well and i would suggest the sulphur on the outside on pant legs etc. I run into trouble forgeting and i love to wear shorts , so i get a few bites during the peak season for Chiggers- we treat our dogs with the strong stuff from the vet so they don't suffer - oh don't let them sleep on your bed or on your sofas etc- we keep sheets on sofas etc and keep them off by folding over back pillows to discourage them -it works- but we do let them on one sofa they use ,many folks out here leave dogs

outside for this reason-they can rub up and you will get chigger bit. Personally we love it here and the only reason we would move it not the humidity ,which we could live without- but the chiggers ,the ticks we seem to control pretty well- just watch out for the very small seed ticks that come out late summer mostly .Organic spray works well but you have to watch clothes and not wear them again if you are out in the heavy areas -also where you lay them . Shower or wash legs if exposed this works well- and wash clothes often. It starts to become automatic but we have only lived here 4+ years and forget .One more thing - i have seen a organic Native American Indian Jewel weed salve on ebay for poison ivy etc and it mentions for chigger and tick relief as well- this is worth trying out and having around the house- i got some rash and would have loved this stuff,will be getting my order this winter for the spring!we still can't figure out how the surveryor of the

Lousiana Purchase , Native Americans and Pioneers lived in the Ozarks,with these pests,must have used Osage or some herbs or maybe diet . Best Wishes, AJ and PS i wanna find out what type of grasses or feed makes milk taste sweeter or richer- we are nubees and want to learn all we can. Edison told his friends Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone: “I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy.What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.” 1931--http://www.roofray.com/calculator

Guest guest

Your goats will not be affected by the chiggers. I asked my vet once about chiggers and dogs. He explained to me that they need tight spaces. He said jokingly that the best way to pick blackberries was naked so they couldn't bite.<L> The only time I've been bothered by chiggers I when I was wearing socks....so now I wear my flip flops and don't get bit.-Jenn

Guest guest

>

> Your goats will not be affected by the chiggers.  I asked my vet once

about chiggers and dogs.  He explained to me that they need tight

spaces.  He said jokingly that the best way to pick blackberries was

naked so they couldn't bite.<L>  The only time I've been bothered by

chiggers I when I was wearing socks....so now I wear my flip flops and

don't get bit.

> -Jenn

>

Come over here next year. We have lots of blackberries :)

Genebo

Paradise Farm

Guest guest

>PS i wanna find out what type of grasses or feed makes milk taste sweeter or richer- we are nubees and want to learn all we can.

Clovers make good milk!! If my girls have access to clover the milk is very good. Alfalfa too. I also feed alfalfa pellets mixed with other things on the stand with a little molasses liquid or meal and it makes for good milk. Ragweed affected are milk flavor this year! It was Very strong!!!

As for chiggers I have lived in Missouri Ozarks my whole life I have never gotten chiggers! lol My in laws are from florida and my MIL cant walk out in the field for the chiggers. I will be right beside her and not get one!! lol But she eats alot of processed food. My kids have never gotten them either. Now mosquitos and ticks are another story!! But as long as I am eating garlic I get very few of those too. Of course not everyone likes to eat garlic. We wear flipflops and crocs too, no boots and socks in the summer!! I also make a spray with Lemon grass, rosemary and lavender essential oils in Apple Cider Vinegar. Use on humans and animals around here!

~~Tonia in MO~~

http://allnaturalsimplelife.blogspot.com/

I live in my own little world but its okay...They know me here!"

Guest guest

Hello AJ, Dennise & all,

Yes, jewel weed salve does work but I have found that kombucha tea works better on many bug bites and sunburn. Hubby is very alergic to bee/wasp/mosquito attacks and just a drop of mature KT on the spot instantly stops the pain. If anyone in this house manages to get something worse, I always use pieces of KT scoby on it. The stuff is wonderful.

I regularry feed pieces of dried scoby to my goats too. They love it, it helps them to digest better and I have noticed increased milk production too.

to health & happiness,

Rae in Idaho**IMPORTANT GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCEMENT **DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET COLLAPSE, HOUSING MARKETCOLLAPSE, BANK RUNS AND BANK STOCK COLLAPSES, MORTGAGE AND CREDITSQUEEZE, AND THE RISING COST OF FUEL, FOOD, AND ELECTRICITY WE WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT:THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE.

Guest guest

Hey thanks for the super tip- we just started making Kombucha Tea last month- last one turned to vinegar after just 8days- did have a small ripening water melon within 2 ft away - read that fermenting fruit skin will turn KT faster - any other advice- it was regular black tea with a cup of sugar added- 1st one worked fine- temps have been in 70s inside our place -due to midsouth mild weather- how thick a scooby -mother can you use for next batch? Green Organic tea worked quite well -elder neighbors love it.Thanks for the bug bite tip like using existing materials at our Farmstead. Best WIshes,AJ and Edison told his friends Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone: “I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy.What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.” 1931--http://www.roofray.com/calculator