RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: i need help asap

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, the thing is that the SD can certainly consider the AU as a medical diagnosis if his academic achievement is not being adversely affected bu the autism. His behavior can be considered part of the Au dx, but more than likely they are wanting to put him under an ED (Emotionally Disturbed) dx to get out from having to do the Commissioners Rules that they HAVE to provide under the AU dx.

I do not have those new Commissioners Rues handy at the moment, but I will look for them.

Remember, you can always table the ARD until you have n opportunity to consider their proposal. I highly suggest you do this and come back after the new year!

Good luck, keep us posted

Carol

Subject: i need help asapTo: Texas-Autism-Advocacy Date: Tuesday, December 15, 2009, 11:04 AM

i know that this may very well be a short notice but! my son has an ARD this afternoon at 120. the school is considering his diagnosis of AU as a medical diagnosis and doing NOTHING. what i need to know is: the seven things that a district is required by law to do when there is a child diagnosed with AU? Help!!!thank you allnancymy son has multiple issues along with the AU

Guest guest

Well, I am posting a link to a blog by this group's founder, Guppy--sorry, , I couldn't resist! ;)http://blogs.chron.com/schoolzone/2008/01/cheat_sheet_autism_school_supp.html

Here is an edited version of the supplement:

The Autism Supplement - Commissioners Rules:

(1) extended educational programming (including extended day and

extended school year services that consider behavior, communication,

academics, social skills and self-help skills) ;

(2) daily schedules that reflect minimal unstructured time and active engagement in learning activities

(3) in-home and community-based training or viable alternatives that

assist the student with acquisition of social/behavioral skills

(4) positive behavior support strategies based on relevant information

(5) future planning for integrated living, work, community, and

educational environments that considers skills necessary to function in

current and post-secondary environments;

(6) parent/family training and support, provided by qualified personnel with experience in Autism Spectrum Disorders, that:

(A) provides a family with skills necessary for a child to succeed in the home/community setting;

(B) includes information regarding resources, such as videos, conferences and support groups;

© facilitates parental carryover of in-home training;

(7) suitable staff-to-student ratio appropriate to identified

activities and, as needed, to achieve social/behavioral progress based

on the child's developmental and learning level to encourage individual

independence;

(8) communication interventions, including language forms and functions that enhance effective communication across settings;

(9) social skills supports and strategies

(10) professional educator/staff support; and

(11) teaching strategies based on peer reviewed, research-based practices for students with ASD.-- M. Guppy, Northwest Houston Chapter Autism Society of America I hope this helps. If the district doesn't have your son labeled AU then sign that you DISAGREE with the IEP at the end of the meeting, make sure that your reasons are outlined in the deliberations (minutes page) when they are read back to you.

Thanks,Gloria -- Gloria -Special Education AdvocateCirkiel and Associates Law FirmAustin: Dallas: www.cirkielaw.com

www.gloriaperezwalker.comwww.latinamami.orgOn Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:04 AM, wrote:

i know that this may very well be a short notice but! my son has an ARD this afternoon at 120. the school is considering his diagnosis of AU as a medical diagnosis and doing NOTHING. what i need to know is: the seven things that a district is required by law to do when there is a child diagnosed with AU? Help!!!

thank you all

nancy

my son has multiple issues along with the AU

Guest guest

tabling the ard is likely going to be the case. ED has not even been considered at this point. i am a single mom doing this pretty much solo. tabling this is as i said likely going to be the case. i will be looking for the commissioners rules.

thank you

nancy

From: <nancylinguist@ yahoo.com>Subject: [Texas-Autism- Advocacy] i need help asapTo: Texas-Autism- Advocacy@ yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 15, 2009, 11:04 AM

i know that this may very well be a short notice but! my son has an ARD this afternoon at 120. the school is considering his diagnosis of AU as a medical diagnosis and doing NOTHING. what i need to know is: the seven things that a district is required by law to do when there is a child diagnosed with AU? Help!!!thank you allnancymy son has multiple issues along with the AU

Guest guest

thank you for your input. i am of to the dreaded ARD. my son hasen't had an ARD in 5 years. wish my son luck and i will keep you all posted.

Thank you all

nancy

Guest guest

The school needs to address the Autism Supplement at your ARD IF your son has an

Autism diagnosis FROM THE SCHOOL. Any medical diagnosis that you have received

privately from your developmental pediatrician, neurologist, etc. may be taken

into consideration by your school but are not binding. The first step to get

your son help is to get him evaluated by your school's/district's Autism team.

Request an evaluation in writing and go from there. And remember: you do NOT

have to accept their diagnosis!