RemedySpot.com

I need help

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have a 12 yr old son who is constantly complaining about his stomach hurting, he eats alot of nachos so go figure, but i am thinking of trying the probiotics maybe it will help him. He has meltdowns and behaviors, because i am thinking if the stomach poblems get releived then he would be happier, makes sense to me.

From: michelle webster <wmc3mlw@...>"autism " <autism > Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:59 PMSubject: Re: Re: I need help

I am not sure if this will help, but I have a 8 year old with behavior issues and one problem is the bowels/gut thing and doctor prescribed meds did not work so I tried Probiotics. They have done wonders and have curbed some behaviors not all. they are like 6.99 a bottle at Walgreens. It is very difficult for you as the mother and I am not sure how verbal your son is, but I can feel the pain for both of you as I deal with this on a a daily basis of melt downs. Glad your son is so loved and has a great Mom trying to help him and do the best by him.

From: drissia wright <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:42 PMSubject: Re: Re: I need help

I agree. Thanks Again>>>From: savithri kumar <savithrikumar2003@...>>Subject: Re: Re: I need help>autism >Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 1:51 PM>>>> >>>>>>>>>Hello,> > It seems your son definitely has some medical issues. If he is touching his temples you have to ruleout headache,

earache, tooth ache or sinus infection. If you suspect gastritis it should be corrected. I heard about few adults with autism whose meltdowns decreased after taking peptobismol. > If you are not sure 100% that these behaviours are not due to some physical problems then having a behavioural plan to put these behaviours to extinct will cause more problems, not less. I am not against ABA. It is an extremely good therapy to teach skills. Especially for nonverbal kids to learn skills and communication it is quite valuable. If you have an ABA program and everything goes good, well, success needs no explanation. It is very difficult to have a good program even with experts who have high qualifications in this field for kids with complex issues like your son, because according to behavioural principles you should not pay any attention to the inappropriate behaviors which is very difficult if

your kid is having pain or some other medical issue. So if the program is not going great as planned then you will end up having more problems. The negative effects of an incorrectly implemented ABA program is much more> severe compared to other therapies for autism. I am cautioning you. I am not advising against ABA and I am talking from my own experience .> Is he eating good? Do you suspect any hypoglycemia? Having low BP in the morning is not good and that itself may be reason for his behaviours. Does his low blood pressure get corrected during the rest of the day ? Do you see any pattern in his behaviour? Does his behaviour improve after eating or once his BP improve?>Watch him closely. Monitor him through out the day . You have to raise a lot of questions about your son's health yourself and by careful

observation of your son's behaviours you will get answers. This is very hard and you have to do it yourself. You can get some help from medical doctors , not much though as they can see your son only for a few minutes.>It seems that you are doing a gluten free diet but it is not 100%. You might want to totally>eliminate gluten from his diet and see if it makes any positive changes in his behaviour. >Feingold diet is another option. These dietary modifications will limit the number of foods he eats , but as long as you make sure he is not hungry and his basic nutritional needs are met you will see a marked improvement in his behaviour. Take care. Good luck.> >Savithri>>>>

Guest guest

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I will look into it, Florida is pretty behind the times when it comes to services for special needs kids. I iwll definately look into it

From: Dave <rewardandconsent@...>"autism " <autism > Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:28 AMSubject: Re: I need help

Daphne, If you have ruled out medical problems, can you afford a Board Certified Behavior Analyst? Does Florida have insurance coverage for Applied Behavior Analysis?

BCBA's do data-based functional analyses of the antecedents to behavior (A), the specific behavior involved (B), and the consequences at play ©. Many times parents or teachers unwittingly reinforce unwanted behavior by allowing escape from demands or by giving negative attention to a problem. It's An analyst may be able to tell you if this is taking place.

Dave at the New Jersey Shore

See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification - of people with disabilities and of people with much power: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#%21/RewardConsent.

From: DAPHNE <daffertulsa1@...>"autism " <autism > Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:33 PMSubject: Re: I need help

Hello everyone, my name is Daphne Craig. I am the single parent of a 12 year old autistic son. I have had behavioral problems with him for a few years, to the point where i have had to have him bakeracted (how ever you wspell it) and had the local police out to my house on numerous occassions. I live in ville, Florida and my son has been on so many meds and nothing really seemed to help. He is currently on Ritilin 10 mg 3 times a day, Seroquel 200 mg (200 am, 100mg 12 noon and 200mg at night) and depakote 250 mg 2 times a day. When was on everything above but was only on a total of 400mg of seroquel he was out of control. The increased medicine in the noon time has made a world of difference, I do not like my son being on all these medicines, but for now they are working.

It is so hard even in a big city to find services and doctors who really know what they are doing when it comes to autism, we finally found a awesome neurologist at nemours childrens clinic and joshua has been seeing a great psychiatrist too. It is trial an error unfortunately, I will see if i can find any information on natural medicines. Good luck toeveryone, if you want to correspond with me you can contact me at this email daffertulsa1@....

From: drissia wright <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:15 AMSubject: Re: I need help

North Carolina, about 30 min. from Charlotte.

From: theshabbysheep@... <theshabbysheep@...>Subject: Re: I need helpautism Date: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 12:01 PM

Hi Drissia ~ My son used to have aggression/rages quite frequently. It seemed antipsychotics did not work with him. Right now, we're having much better luck with Depakote and Prozac. He no longer sees a psychiatrist but instead he's seen by a good neurologist. It might be that he needs a different classification of meds (not antipsychotics). HTH, Heidi From: "Mom" <ritzywright@...>autism Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:42:46 AMSubject: I need help

Does anyone have a child diagnosed with intermittent explosive rage? What works? Or even someone who is autistic with aggressive explosive behavior? Or please tell me it gets better in their 20's. My son is 19, nonverbal, weighs 125 lbs. He has been on abilify for a couple of years and we are trying to get him off. The doctor is NO help. He just wants to switch to another antipsychotic drug which is worse in my opinion. He was started on Risperdal but went back and forth between raging and being out. Then they gave him Elavil for migraines, then Abilify for raging. He has been raging for 3 years and we are at the end of our rope. If anyone knows anything natural or anything drug that can help him without killing him, please email me. I am desperate. The doc has suggested Lamictal and Zyprexa. He takes a lot of vitamins but nothing helps. Drissia

Guest guest

Drissia, How do you do all these tests? Is your son ok when you draw blood with a needle? Do you sedate him? My son is due for a full medical checkup , I keep postponing it because I don't know how he will behave.

Savithri

Guest guest

He has a lot of blood work done, but there is cream the gives us a prescription for. I rub it on his arm and it numbs the area. They also give him some liquid valium(he doesn't take pills) but both are prescription so you need a doctor sympathetic to the problem.

From: savithri kumar <savithrikumar2003@...>Subject: Re: Re: I need helpautism Date: Friday, April 20, 2012, 7:10 AM

Drissia, How do you do all these tests? Is your son ok when you draw blood with a needle? Do you sedate him? My son is due for a full medical checkup , I keep postponing it because I don't know how he will behave.

Savithri

Guest guest

It's very true that a poorly implemented so-called "ABA program" can cause more harm that good. This is why it is so important to ensure you are working with skilled professionals. Extinction and ignoring problem behaviors are not necessarily the same thing, and these are not recommended in all situations. In fact, some children's problem behaviors are motivated by escape from tasks, people or other aspects of the environment. Therefore, ignoring them can make them much worse (because you are giving them exactly what they are looking for). Behavioral motivation is not always obvious; it is easy to misinterpret. A careful individualized, evidence-based assessment is required to determine which methods are indicated and appropriate for the child and the family. ABA is much more than teaching skills with

discrete trials. It is most effective when all parents, caregivers and teachers are trained in the behavior plan, learn the principals of behavior and learning, and integrate them into the way they interact with their child in all scenarios. Medical exams to rule out physical problems are still required, but ABA is not incompatible with any medical treatment. In fact, it should support and help identify the effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of any medical, biomedical, dietary or other alternative treatment you try, because you'll have data on how your child's behavior changes during the treatment.

Here is a link to autismspeaks.org, they list several ABA providers in Charlotte. http://www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide/by-state/106/Applied+Behavior+Analysis+%28ABA%29/NC?field_resource_state_value=NC & long_state_name=North Carolina & vid=106 & name=Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)

Good luck!

Kelley