RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Gibber jabber during a show.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I hate that, my husband does it all the time, so does my son. With Jerry it is more forgivable, he is only 7, but I did the same thing to him a few times, so he now waits until a commercial to talk to me, or he tells me mom I need to talk to you on the commercial. is the worst offender, he is constantly interupting the few shows I watch, and always at the worst time. It drives me crazy. BethVISIGOTH@... wrote: Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are watching the program on TV and then start talking about something totally superfluous? I was just watching a show about the battle of Stalingrad when my mother walks into the room

and sits down. After a few minutes, right at the end of the show, she starts talking about the Golden Globe awards. I really could care less about any of the many self-congratulatory puffery shows those empty-cans-called-actors put on for themselves. The narrator was describing some of the key points about Russian fighter aircraft that I had never heard before. So I did the logical thing: I told to hush for a minute until the show was over. She gets in a huff and walks out of the room having a little hissy fit. If she'd just kept her mouth shut for about another 3 minutes the show would have been over. My attention was already divided by reading posts on here. That's not hard to do because I can listen to the TV, which is near to my right and if I hear something interesting, I just stop typing and watch for a bit. On the other hand I can also mute the TV and pay attention to the longer

and more detailed posts as well. Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her something important while she is watching one of her programs.

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

Have either of you ever sat down with the your respective offender and told them exactly how their behavior makes you feel and what you would like them to do?

, you could for example say "Mom, you know how annoying it is for you when I interrupt you in the middle of a show? Well, that's how I feel too and I'd appreciate very much if you didn't do that."

And then don't do it to her, if you don't want her to do it to you! ;-)

Inger

I hate that, my husband does it all the time, so does my son. With Jerry it is more forgivable, he is only 7, but I did the same thing to him a few times, so he now waits until a commercial to talk to me, or he tells me mom I need to talk to you on the commercial. is the worst offender, he is constantly interupting the few shows I watch, and always at the worst time. It drives me crazy.

BethVISIGOTH@... wrote:

Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are watching the program on TV and then start talking about something totally superfluous?

I was just watching a show about the battle of Stalingrad when my mother walks into the room and sits down. After a few minutes, right at the end of the show, she starts talking about the Golden Globe awards. I really could care less about any of the many self-congratulatory puffery shows those empty-cans-called-actors put on for themselves. The narrator was describing some of the key points about Russian fighter aircraft that I had never heard before.

So I did the logical thing: I told to hush for a minute until the show was over. She gets in a huff and walks out of the room having a little hissy fit.

If she'd just kept her mouth shut for about another 3 minutes the show would have been over.

My attention was already divided by reading posts on here. That's not hard to do because I can listen to the TV, which is near to my right and if I hear something interesting, I just stop typing and watch for a bit. On the other hand I can also mute the TV and pay attention to the longer and more detailed posts as well.

Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her something important while she is watching one of her programs.

PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

Have either of you ever sat down with the your respective offender and told them exactly how their behavior makes you feel and what you would like them to do?

, you could for example say "Mom, you know how annoying it is for you when I interrupt you in the middle of a show? Well, that's how I feel too and I'd appreciate very much if you didn't do that."

And then don't do it to her, if you don't want her to do it to you! ;-)

Inger

I hate that, my husband does it all the time, so does my son. With Jerry it is more forgivable, he is only 7, but I did the same thing to him a few times, so he now waits until a commercial to talk to me, or he tells me mom I need to talk to you on the commercial. is the worst offender, he is constantly interupting the few shows I watch, and always at the worst time. It drives me crazy.

BethVISIGOTH@... wrote:

Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are watching the program on TV and then start talking about something totally superfluous?

I was just watching a show about the battle of Stalingrad when my mother walks into the room and sits down. After a few minutes, right at the end of the show, she starts talking about the Golden Globe awards. I really could care less about any of the many self-congratulatory puffery shows those empty-cans-called-actors put on for themselves. The narrator was describing some of the key points about Russian fighter aircraft that I had never heard before.

So I did the logical thing: I told to hush for a minute until the show was over. She gets in a huff and walks out of the room having a little hissy fit.

If she'd just kept her mouth shut for about another 3 minutes the show would have been over.

My attention was already divided by reading posts on here. That's not hard to do because I can listen to the TV, which is near to my right and if I hear something interesting, I just stop typing and watch for a bit. On the other hand I can also mute the TV and pay attention to the longer and more detailed posts as well.

Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her something important while she is watching one of her programs.

PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

Yes I have, It worked really well with Jerry, but he has Aspergers also, we speak the same language. just doesn't get it, I believe it is a language barrier. We speak aspie, he speaks bipolar, some things translate some don't. so I try to forgive him and remind him before I start watching a show, I also let Jerry know I am planning on watching something and what time. We, Jerry and I watch some shows together, so its easy for him to see how it feels to be interupted, he hates when I go to the bathroom come back and ask him what I missed, he wants me to wait til the commerical, which I now do. BethInger Lorelei <inglori@...> wrote: Have either of you ever sat down

with the your respective offender and told them exactly how their behavior makes you feel and what you would like them to do? , you could for example say "Mom, you know how annoying it is for you when I interrupt you in the middle of a show? Well, that's how I feel too and I'd appreciate very much if you didn't do that." And then don't do it to her, if you don't want her to do it to you! ;-) Inger Re: Gibber jabber during a show. I hate that, my husband does it all the time, so does my son. With Jerry it is more forgivable, he is only 7, but I did the same thing to him a few times, so he now waits until a commercial to talk to me, or he tells me mom I need to talk to you on the commercial. is the worst offender, he is constantly interupting the few shows I watch, and always at the worst time. It drives me crazy. BethVISIGOTH@... wrote: Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are watching the program on TV and then start talking about something totally superfluous? I was just watching a show about the battle of Stalingrad when my mother walks into the room and sits down. After a few minutes, right at the end of the show, she starts talking about the Golden Globe awards. I really could care less about any of the many self-congratulatory puffery shows those empty-cans-called-actors put on for themselves. The narrator was describing some of the key points about Russian fighter aircraft that I had never heard before. So I did the logical thing: I told to hush for a minute until the show was over. She gets in a huff and walks out of the room having a little hissy fit. If she'd just

kept her mouth shut for about another 3 minutes the show would have been over. My attention was already divided by reading posts on here. That's not hard to do because I can listen to the TV, which is near to my right and if I hear something interesting, I just stop typing and watch for a bit. On the other hand I can also mute the TV and pay attention to the longer and more detailed posts as well. Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her something important while she is watching one of her programs. PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,

whatever.

Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

Yes I have, It worked really well with Jerry, but he has Aspergers also, we speak the same language. just doesn't get it, I believe it is a language barrier. We speak aspie, he speaks bipolar, some things translate some don't. so I try to forgive him and remind him before I start watching a show, I also let Jerry know I am planning on watching something and what time. We, Jerry and I watch some shows together, so its easy for him to see how it feels to be interupted, he hates when I go to the bathroom come back and ask him what I missed, he wants me to wait til the commerical, which I now do. BethInger Lorelei <inglori@...> wrote: Have either of you ever sat down

with the your respective offender and told them exactly how their behavior makes you feel and what you would like them to do? , you could for example say "Mom, you know how annoying it is for you when I interrupt you in the middle of a show? Well, that's how I feel too and I'd appreciate very much if you didn't do that." And then don't do it to her, if you don't want her to do it to you! ;-) Inger Re: Gibber jabber during a show. I hate that, my husband does it all the time, so does my son. With Jerry it is more forgivable, he is only 7, but I did the same thing to him a few times, so he now waits until a commercial to talk to me, or he tells me mom I need to talk to you on the commercial. is the worst offender, he is constantly interupting the few shows I watch, and always at the worst time. It drives me crazy. BethVISIGOTH@... wrote: Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are watching the program on TV and then start talking about something totally superfluous? I was just watching a show about the battle of Stalingrad when my mother walks into the room and sits down. After a few minutes, right at the end of the show, she starts talking about the Golden Globe awards. I really could care less about any of the many self-congratulatory puffery shows those empty-cans-called-actors put on for themselves. The narrator was describing some of the key points about Russian fighter aircraft that I had never heard before. So I did the logical thing: I told to hush for a minute until the show was over. She gets in a huff and walks out of the room having a little hissy fit. If she'd just

kept her mouth shut for about another 3 minutes the show would have been over. My attention was already divided by reading posts on here. That's not hard to do because I can listen to the TV, which is near to my right and if I hear something interesting, I just stop typing and watch for a bit. On the other hand I can also mute the TV and pay attention to the longer and more detailed posts as well. Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her something important while she is watching one of her programs. PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,

whatever.

Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

Sounds good. :-)

I'm always amazed that so many people never even think to explain their needs and request to have them respected. Instead they usually just get irritated without the other person being any the wiser as to what exactly they've done wrong.

Inger

BethVISIGOTH@... wrote:

PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

Have you tried explaining it that way that I suggested?

Inger

Re: Re: Gibber jabber during a show.

I've talked to my mother about it, but it doesn't sink in.

Guest guest

This was one of the things I disliked about living at home - I could

never watch TV in peace. My mum seemed to think that it was time to

be sociable if I was sat down in living room. I ended up with a black

and white TV in my room and escaping to my room often - not just for

the TV, but for the break and she still tried to invade my room - but

I learned ways around that :-)

My son is a lot better, if he knows I am watching TV he very rarely

interupts me and also he sometimes watches proggrammes with me. He

knows if he has something to say to wait until the adverts - although

I often read when those are on :-)

>

> Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are

watching the

> program on TV and then start talking about something totally

superfluous?

>

> I was just watching a show about the battle of Stalingrad when my

mother

> walks into the room and sits down. After a few minutes, right at

the end of the

> show, she starts talking about the Golden Globe awards. I really

could care

> less about any of the many self-congratulatory puffery shows

those

> empty-cans-called-actors put on for themselves. The narrator was

describing some of the

> key points about Russian fighter aircraft that I had never heard

before.

>

> So I did the logical thing: I told to hush for a minute until the

show was

> over. She gets in a huff and walks out of the room having a little

hissy fit.

>

> If she'd just kept her mouth shut for about another 3 minutes the

show would

> have been over.

>

> My attention was already divided by reading posts on here. That's

not hard

> to do because I can listen to the TV, which is near to my right and

if I hear

> something interesting, I just stop typing and watch for a bit. On

the other

> hand I can also mute the TV and pay attention to the longer and

more detailed

> posts as well.

>

> Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her

something

> important while she is watching one of her programs.

>

>

>

Guest guest

That is one of the things that I learned in therapy and learned in rehab, we both speak our needs, and if we have problems with each other right away. If I let them sit, I get worked up and explode and yell and scream and it isn't worth it. If I talk it out and resolve it before it grows it is much easier to control. He has the same problem but when it grows on him he wants a drink and that is not acceptable, so he speaks out also, and we try to resolve problems before they grow out of control. BethInger Lorelei <inglori@...> wrote: Sounds good. :-) I'm always amazed that so many people never even think to

explain their needs and request to have them respected. Instead they usually just get irritated without the other person being any the wiser as to what exactly they've done wrong. Inger Re: Gibber jabber during a show. I hate that, my husband does it all the time, so does my son. With Jerry it is more forgivable, he is only 7, but I did the same thing to him a few times, so he now waits until a commercial to talk to me, or he tells me mom I need to talk to you on the commercial. is the worst offender, he is constantly interupting the few shows I watch, and always at the worst time. It drives me crazy. BethVISIGOTH@... wrote: Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are watching the program on TV and then start talking about something totally superfluous? I was just watching a show about the battle of Stalingrad when my mother walks into the room and sits down. After a few minutes, right at the end of the show, she starts talking about the Golden Globe awards. I really could care less about any of the many self-congratulatory puffery shows those empty-cans-called-actors put on for themselves. The narrator was describing some of the key points about Russian fighter aircraft that I had never heard before. So I did the logical thing: I told to hush for a minute until the show was over. She gets in a huff and walks out of the room having a little hissy fit. If she'd just kept her mouth shut for about another 3 minutes the show would have

been over. My attention was already divided by reading posts on here. That's not hard to do because I can listen to the TV, which is near to my right and if I hear something interesting, I just stop typing and watch for a bit. On the other hand I can also mute the TV and pay attention to the longer and more detailed posts as well. Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her something important while she is watching one of her programs. PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever. PhotosGot holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.

Guest guest

>

> " Why is it that some people will walk into a room while you are

watching the

> program on TV and then start talking about something totally

superfluous? "

That bugs me too. I think a lot of people watch superfluous tv so they

don't care if they miss something. Then, I think most people put social

ties first so they will drop what they are doing if someone wants their

attention.

Up till lately I've always been anal about that. If I watch a movie or

program I need to see it from the beginning to the end, including the

credits. And if someone talked and made me miss something, I got mad.

Now between my ADD and memory problems, I'll miss something anyway and

then not remember it, so it doesn't really matter!

" Funny thing is, she'll get mad at me if I come to tell her something

> important while she is watching one of her programs. "

Maybe she thinks your programs are boring. The 'boring' programs are

the ones I want to learn from and take more concentration, and I really

don't want to miss something there.

>

>

Guest guest

I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows. She's down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling channels to watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got in the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other drivel shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking during other people's shows.

Guest guest

Here are some general questions for everybody:

Which actually IS the more important show? A

And which show is more indicative of what society values as important?

And does the number of viewers actually mean that society is " voting "

for the shows it prefers.

Five or more years back our local network station decided they were

going to have Jerry Springer be an editorial commentator on the 10:00

news. Springer lasted two days. The news anchors quit, and the

general manager of the station resigned.

The reason: A viewer boycott of the NBC station.

Meanwhile Springer's own show went up in viewership.

Very confusing.

Tom

Administrator

I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows. She's

down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling channels to

watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got in

the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other drivel

shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking

during other people's shows.

Guest guest

Here are some general questions for everybody:

Which actually IS the more important show? A

And which show is more indicative of what society values as important?

And does the number of viewers actually mean that society is " voting "

for the shows it prefers.

Five or more years back our local network station decided they were

going to have Jerry Springer be an editorial commentator on the 10:00

news. Springer lasted two days. The news anchors quit, and the

general manager of the station resigned.

The reason: A viewer boycott of the NBC station.

Meanwhile Springer's own show went up in viewership.

Very confusing.

Tom

Administrator

I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows. She's

down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling channels to

watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got in

the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other drivel

shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking

during other people's shows.

Guest guest

I've watched shows that were excellent only last a few weeks and dumb

shows continue for a few years. It got so every time a good show

came out I knew it would be cancelled. I've noticed though, that in

the past few years the producers have gotten smart about producing a

show that's not too dumb but only has enough interesting or smart

parts to it to make it a little interesting without people rejecting

it. And they've gotten clever in how to present things so people

won't reject them. Like the show Numb3ers is really just a crime

drama (like the billions of others--is that all people like?!) but it

has the not too potent spice of math peppered in to make it a little

interesting. It makes people feel they're watching something

intelligent but not so they really have to think. That way the

producers stay in the safe middle and net the viewers who want

mindless shows with good looking people and action, and those who

want a little interest but still don't want to think. It still

doesn't take away from the fact that they don't even try to present

really good programs anymore (except maybe PBS), and I find that

depressing.

>

> I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows.

She's

> down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling channels

to

> watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got in

> the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other drivel

> shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking

> during other people's shows.

>

>

>

Guest guest

I've watched shows that were excellent only last a few weeks and dumb

shows continue for a few years. It got so every time a good show

came out I knew it would be cancelled. I've noticed though, that in

the past few years the producers have gotten smart about producing a

show that's not too dumb but only has enough interesting or smart

parts to it to make it a little interesting without people rejecting

it. And they've gotten clever in how to present things so people

won't reject them. Like the show Numb3ers is really just a crime

drama (like the billions of others--is that all people like?!) but it

has the not too potent spice of math peppered in to make it a little

interesting. It makes people feel they're watching something

intelligent but not so they really have to think. That way the

producers stay in the safe middle and net the viewers who want

mindless shows with good looking people and action, and those who

want a little interest but still don't want to think. It still

doesn't take away from the fact that they don't even try to present

really good programs anymore (except maybe PBS), and I find that

depressing.

>

> I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows.

She's

> down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling channels

to

> watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got in

> the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other drivel

> shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking

> during other people's shows.

>

>

>

Guest guest

The only reality show I liked is that Ultimate Fighter one. The others were too contrived for me. Survivor had potential, but they messed it up. They not only had the "tribes" competing with each other but competition in the tribes themselves. I would rather have seen the two tribes square off and the winner determined by something like who retained the most bodyweight overall at the end of the show, who won the most events and things like that and the team win a group prize.

Guest guest

I get sick of all the supposedly reality shows - like 'big brother'

and all the pop wanabee kind of stuff. If that is reality I am glad I

live in my own little world - actually the world inside my mind is

infinite :-)

> >

> > I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows.

> She's

> > down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling

channels

> to

> > watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got

in

> > the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other

drivel

> > shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking

> > during other people's shows.

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I get sick of all the supposedly reality shows - like 'big brother'

and all the pop wanabee kind of stuff. If that is reality I am glad I

live in my own little world - actually the world inside my mind is

infinite :-)

> >

> > I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows.

> She's

> > down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling

channels

> to

> > watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got

in

> > the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other

drivel

> > shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking

> > during other people's shows.

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I have to admit I was addicted to the reality shows (Am I the only

Aspie that was? I think so.) But now I'm mostly tired of them, thank

goodness. I was watching TOO much tv.

> > >

> > > I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows.

> > She's

> > > down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling

> channels

> > to

> > > watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she

got

> in

> > > the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other

> drivel

> > > shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about

talking

> > > during other people's shows.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I have to admit I was addicted to the reality shows (Am I the only

Aspie that was? I think so.) But now I'm mostly tired of them, thank

goodness. I was watching TOO much tv.

> > >

> > > I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows.

> > She's

> > > down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling

> channels

> > to

> > > watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she

got

> in

> > > the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other

> drivel

> > > shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about

talking

> > > during other people's shows.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I always liked big brother, allthough a lot of the others don't really interest me, although I do like beauty and the geek, I find it funny to see all of the crazy things, and interactions that are supposed to be normal with normal people. They look anything but normal to me, and I find them very humorus. Bethmikecarrie01 <mikecarrie01@...> wrote: I have to admit I was addicted to the reality shows (Am I the only Aspie that was? I think so.) But now I'm mostly tired of them, thank goodness. I was watching TOO much tv.> > > > > > I think I just figured out why my mother jabbers during shows. > > She's > > > down here now and she had me put on it one of the selling > channels > > to > > > watch something about sweaters. She hasn't shut up since she got > in > > > the room. She watches these channels a lot as well as other > drivel > > > shows so it is little wonder she doesn't think much about talking > > > during other people's shows. > > > > > > > > >> >>

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Guest guest

I agree with you on that one, I don't like that people are pitted against each other within the tribes. I thing a group prize would be better. Never watched the Ultimate fighter, but Im not into boxing. BethVISIGOTH@... wrote: The only reality show I liked is that Ultimate Fighter one. The others were too contrived for me. Survivor had potential, but they messed it up. They not only had the "tribes" competing with each other but competition in the tribes themselves. I would rather have seen the two tribes square off and the winner determined by something like who retained the most bodyweight overall at the end of the show, who won the most events and things like that and the team win a

group prize.

What are the most popular cars? Find out at Autos

Guest guest

In a message dated 1/21/2006 1:46:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

The lajst movie I saw in the theatre was "War of the Worlds" and I hardly ever watch TV anymore. It's just too nasty for me. (Except for science and nature shows.)

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Gladiator and before that, Braveheart. Most TV, especially broadcast, isn't worth watching. I've got channels programmed in so all I have to do is push a button to flip through my favorites. Not one of them is broadcast. The only time I check those channels is during bad weather or if there has been a local event I hope they might have something on during the evening news. Other than that, I don't see any reason to waste time on them.

Guest guest

Have any of you watched the film "Network" (1976) lately?

Amy

I've watched shows that were excellent only last a few weeks and dumb shows continue for a few years. It got so every time a good show came out I knew it would be cancelled. I've noticed though, that in the past few years the producers have gotten smart about producing a show that's not too dumb but only has enough interesting or smart parts to it to make it a little interesting without people rejecting it. And they've gotten clever in how to present things so people won't reject them. Like the show Numb3ers is really just a crime drama (like the billions of others--is that all people like?!) but it has the not too potent spice of math peppered in to make it a little interesting. It makes people feel they're watching something intelligent but not so they really have to think. That way the producers stay in the safe middle and net the viewers who want mindless shows with good looking people and action, and those who want a little interest but still don't want to think. It still doesn't take away from the fact that they don't even try to present really good programs anymore (except maybe PBS), and I find that depressing.