RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Introduction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Jen, nice to meet you. How do you make it through each day? LOL

Hope StudentPineville, Louisianamsyogi@...

Re: Introduction

Hi,

My name is , mom to Max 17 (severe adhd and cognitive learning disabilities), Molly 14 (Aspergers Syndrome, bipolar, ptsd), SaraCait (adhd severe r/o mood disturbance) and Hope 5 Autistic. I am right there with ya hon!

yogi4sho <msyogi@...> wrote:

Hello all, My name is Hope , mother to Avery, 9, diagnosed at age 3 with autism and ADHD. It has been a very trying six years for me.We have changed schools three times and finally have a setting that I feel he can thrive and excel in. He adores both his teacher and his child specific aide and so do I. He is currently reading on a third grade level and spelling on a sixth grade level. He took the IOWA test this year and did very well. His sociallization skill are still delayed but he has come a long way. He is regaining speech everyday. Although he still does not call me Mamma, or my husband Daddy unless someone asks him who we are. I still take that as a small victory. I am just looking for some words of encouragement, advice, or anything else someone has to give. Most of all I just need a listening ear. Thanks.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentWill There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.Ben A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loveshimself.Josh Billings

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

Well I work two jobs, and up until 2 weeks ago (maybe it is three I couldn't tell you at this point),I was at the office (with travel time) around 10 hours a day. I am a military wife and dh just left for Hawaii - must be nice eh? I haven't left the house overnight without the kids in over 15 years. I don't know how I do it - maybe because there isn't any other option? Maybe because give up isn't in my vocabulary - maybe because it would kill me to have people say - I told you so...? I think that pretty much everyone carries the same amount of "sh^t", someone else's may look worse to you, but really I think that the feelings behind it are the same and they are all valid. Hopefully that makes some sense.... (oh and I honest to God think that I am losing my mind today - no one did their chores and I actually took all three girls to the beach and had my son get completely crappy to

me when I got home.... Plus I am on the verge of losing my job because my daughters IEP states that she has to have a 1:1 aide at all times, soooooo no child care - I have called everyone in San Diego county.) JHope <msyogi@...> wrote: Hello Jen, nice to meet you. How do you make it through each day? LOL Hope StudentPineville, Louisianamsyogi@... Re: Introduction Hi, My name is , mom to Max 17 (severe adhd and cognitive learning disabilities), Molly 14 (Aspergers Syndrome, bipolar, ptsd), SaraCait (adhd severe r/o mood disturbance) and Hope 5 Autistic. I am right there with ya hon! yogi4sho <msyogi@...> wrote: Hello all, My name is Hope , mother to Avery, 9, diagnosed at age 3 with autism and ADHD. It has been a very trying six years for me.We have changed schools three times and finally have a setting that I feel he can thrive and excel in. He adores both his teacher and his child specific aide and so do I. He is currently reading on a third grade level and spelling on a sixth grade level. He took the IOWA test this year and did very well. His sociallization skill are still delayed but he has come a long way. He is regaining speech everyday. Although he still does not call me Mamma, or my husband Daddy unless someone asks him who we are. I still take that as a small victory. I am just looking for some words of encouragement, advice, or anything else someone has to

give. Most of all I just need a listening ear. Thanks. If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentWill There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.Ben A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loveshimself.Josh Billings Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min. If

there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentWill There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.Ben A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loveshimself.Josh Billings

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

completely crappy to me when I got home.... Plus I am on the verge of losing my job because my daughters IEP states that she has to have a 1:1 aide at all times, soooooo no child care - I have called everyone in San Diego county

**** J--- IN response to this above. My son is entering his senior year of high school in August. He has had an IEP since preschool.

I am not sure why your school is not paying for and providing a one on one aide, since the IEP is specifying that, and the school would be in NONCOMPLIANCE if they do not provide this aide immediately.

I would talk to them about this as soon as you can.

in IL

Guest guest

I am looking for a day care provider so that I can go back to work, not someone for during school hours (which was modified to two hours a day). I have to wait for regional center to pick her up so that I can get her an aide - I believe it actually ends up falling under respite. Laha1960@... wrote: completely crappy to me when I got home.... Plus I am on the verge of losing my job because my daughters IEP states that she has to have a 1:1 aide at all times, soooooo no child care - I have called

everyone in San Diego county **** J--- IN response to this above. My son is entering his senior year of high school in August. He has had an IEP since preschool. I am not sure why your school is not paying for and providing a one on one aide, since the IEP is specifying that, and the school would be in NONCOMPLIANCE if they do not provide this aide immediately. I would talk to them about this as soon as you can. in IL If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentWill There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.Ben A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loveshimself.Josh Billings

Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Small Business.

Guest guest

Hi

I'm about ten miles north of you, in Lincoln :) Please tell me what you thought of the Prov Child Dev Ctr because we are planning to use it for our nine year old to get ASD testing, but I'm worried about limiting ourselves to one test due to some struggles for an accurate diagnosis I've seen in this group. I'm positive he's on the spectrum, but am unsure if it'd be Aspergers or High Functioning Autism. He fits in better with the DSM IV criteria for Autism- 11 of the criteria describe him to a " T " and the minimum for a diagnosis is 6 (according to what I read). Anyway, we're saving money to cover the cost assuming insurance won't cover a second opinion in case the first place we go to doesn't catch it- it's hard to tell there's anything different about our son upon first meeting him; he just seems really shy and quiet around new people, so it's easy to miss unless they spend a significant amount of time with him.

There is also a group in Pawtucket called H.I.P.P.I.E.S. or something like that which, I believe, does early intervention stuff and does home visits, occupational therapy, etc. Our son is too old for the program, which is why I don't know a lot about it.

If you ever need someone to talk to who *gets* it, feel free to contact me!

Be well,

On 8/15/06, Pierce <mz_pierce@...> wrote:

My name is and my 4 year old was just given a preliminary diagnosis of Asperger's last Tuesday by his pediatrician. She suspects he has a high IQ but severly lacking in social skills. It was extremely enlightening because I now look at him totally different. We are working on getting him evaluated by the Providence Child Development Center in Providence, RI. While we haven't heard the best reviews on them I have to start somewhere and this is the recommendation of our pediatrition (therefore, what insurance will pay for).I have a call into the Child Outreach program office so that I can get him screened for their preschool. I am told that this will be the best place for him as it is in the school district he will go into Kindergarten next year. I am having a hard time getting in touch with them because they aren't back in their office fulltime until August 28th. I keep calling them everyday.Fortunately, I feel that we caught this early and hopefully with intervention he will grow up to be a happy, productive boy.I am overwhelmed with everything I read and completely confused. I am hoping that it becomes more clear as we go through this process. I do know that there is a support group here and the president of the National Autism Association lives in my town.Chris

Guest guest

I feel that the medication helps focusing and that leads to the person being able to "remember". My son is severly adhd and also takes medication. When the medication wears off he can't seem to remember anything since he is so hyper and just is running and talking constantly and completely dis-combobulated.(only word I can think of right now to describe my son without meds) Waner <amw2468@...> wrote: I have

been lurking for a week or so. I love this group. I wish that I had found it years ago. I am a single mom. I adopted my darling daughter, Natasha, from Ukraine at 3.5 years of age. Natasha is now 9.5 years old. She came home with PTSD, rocking, compulsive chewing her fingernails, sensory intergration disorder, attachment issues, developmental delays across the board, crossed eyes, no eye contact, didn't want to be touched, no emotional palette except for anger. She had feeding issues. She didn't know how to chew since the orphanage mainly fed the kids soups, kasha. She came home with what international adoption doctors call "Institutional Autism". This isn't in the DSM. The idea is that her issues were caused by the orphanage environment. http://www.adoptionarticlesdirectory.com/Article/The-second-glance-at-institutional-autism-in-internationally-adopted-children/81 Over the years she has had surgery to fix crossed eyes, physical therapy, occupational therapy, language therapy. We worked on attachment. She is strongly attached now. Her kindergarten year was awful. She didn't learn anything and was very stressed by the experience. I moved her to private school for first grade. Her self-esteem improved, but had major problems with reading and math. I moved her back to public school to repeat first grade under an IEP. She has short-term memory and rote memory issues. She was diagnosed with ADHD and language learning disability

(dsylexia). She learned to read and her ADHD medication worked great. Natasha told me that her brain feels "cleaner" on medication. Natasha thinks the medication helps her memory. She explained it this way. Teacher tells everyone to sit down and listen. She would sit down and forget to listen. She would start talking with a friend and get into trouble. Now she remembers the teacher told everyone to listen. Natasha's doctor has never heard of ADHD medication improving memory... but I agree with Natasha. I see an improvement with Natasha's memory. Without medication it took Natasha 6 months to learn 25 children's names. On medication, she learn her classmate's names in 2 months. Anyone else every hear of this? I would love to somehow get rid of her compulsive behaviors. She still chews on her fingernails. But it has improved. She does not sit

there and peal skin off her cuticles. And she doesn't cause bleeding anymore. If I push her away from chewing fingernails, she then starts picking her hair. She leans her hair over her face and pulls her hair apart... strand by strand. Then her teachers gets onto her for hiding behind her hair. So Natasha takes scissors and cuts her hair off. Ugh! This ugly little circle of behavior just happened again. Natasha cut her hair this week. We are going to get it repaired on Wednesday. Natasha is also compulsive about cutting, but this has greatly improved with medication. It still shows up when she gets stressed out. My biggest concern is social... In her words, she wanders around the playground at recess. She has friends but only in 1-on-1 situations.. and typically because I was there to explain for Natasha. Once the friendship is going via an closely supervised play

date, Natasha can handle it pretty well. Natasha has several friends with Autism, PDD-NOS or Asberger's. Last year she was assigned to be an Autistic boy¢s buddy. The boy was mainstreamed and the teacher wanted everyone in the classroom to get to know him. So she assigned a new buddy to him, every couple of months. Natasha was thrilled with her assignment. She defended him... explained his issues... tried to make sure he was included by the other kids. She invited him to her birthday party. She strongly understood him. This plus an NPR story is why I decided to have her evaluated by a developmental pediatrician for Autism (probably Asberger's). Many of Natasha's issues on the Autistic Spectrum have gotten better or disappeared with therapy, medication and time. I want to make sure that she is getting all the services that she needs... make sure that I didn't miss anything. The NPR story was by Temple Grandin about her beliefs and her autism. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5628476 After listening to Temple's piece, Natasha told me with a note of awe in her voice, "She understands." Waner Natasha a 12/5/2000 from Kharkiv, Ukraine ukraine.adoptionblogs.com

Guest guest

I feel that the medication helps focusing and that leads to the person being able to "remember". My son is severly adhd and also takes medication. When the medication wears off he can't seem to remember anything since he is so hyper and just is running and talking constantly and completely dis-combobulated.(only word I can think of right now to describe my son without meds) Waner <amw2468@...> wrote: I have

been lurking for a week or so. I love this group. I wish that I had found it years ago. I am a single mom. I adopted my darling daughter, Natasha, from Ukraine at 3.5 years of age. Natasha is now 9.5 years old. She came home with PTSD, rocking, compulsive chewing her fingernails, sensory intergration disorder, attachment issues, developmental delays across the board, crossed eyes, no eye contact, didn't want to be touched, no emotional palette except for anger. She had feeding issues. She didn't know how to chew since the orphanage mainly fed the kids soups, kasha. She came home with what international adoption doctors call "Institutional Autism". This isn't in the DSM. The idea is that her issues were caused by the orphanage environment. http://www.adoptionarticlesdirectory.com/Article/The-second-glance-at-institutional-autism-in-internationally-adopted-children/81 Over the years she has had surgery to fix crossed eyes, physical therapy, occupational therapy, language therapy. We worked on attachment. She is strongly attached now. Her kindergarten year was awful. She didn't learn anything and was very stressed by the experience. I moved her to private school for first grade. Her self-esteem improved, but had major problems with reading and math. I moved her back to public school to repeat first grade under an IEP. She has short-term memory and rote memory issues. She was diagnosed with ADHD and language learning disability

(dsylexia). She learned to read and her ADHD medication worked great. Natasha told me that her brain feels "cleaner" on medication. Natasha thinks the medication helps her memory. She explained it this way. Teacher tells everyone to sit down and listen. She would sit down and forget to listen. She would start talking with a friend and get into trouble. Now she remembers the teacher told everyone to listen. Natasha's doctor has never heard of ADHD medication improving memory... but I agree with Natasha. I see an improvement with Natasha's memory. Without medication it took Natasha 6 months to learn 25 children's names. On medication, she learn her classmate's names in 2 months. Anyone else every hear of this? I would love to somehow get rid of her compulsive behaviors. She still chews on her fingernails. But it has improved. She does not sit

there and peal skin off her cuticles. And she doesn't cause bleeding anymore. If I push her away from chewing fingernails, she then starts picking her hair. She leans her hair over her face and pulls her hair apart... strand by strand. Then her teachers gets onto her for hiding behind her hair. So Natasha takes scissors and cuts her hair off. Ugh! This ugly little circle of behavior just happened again. Natasha cut her hair this week. We are going to get it repaired on Wednesday. Natasha is also compulsive about cutting, but this has greatly improved with medication. It still shows up when she gets stressed out. My biggest concern is social... In her words, she wanders around the playground at recess. She has friends but only in 1-on-1 situations.. and typically because I was there to explain for Natasha. Once the friendship is going via an closely supervised play

date, Natasha can handle it pretty well. Natasha has several friends with Autism, PDD-NOS or Asberger's. Last year she was assigned to be an Autistic boy¢s buddy. The boy was mainstreamed and the teacher wanted everyone in the classroom to get to know him. So she assigned a new buddy to him, every couple of months. Natasha was thrilled with her assignment. She defended him... explained his issues... tried to make sure he was included by the other kids. She invited him to her birthday party. She strongly understood him. This plus an NPR story is why I decided to have her evaluated by a developmental pediatrician for Autism (probably Asberger's). Many of Natasha's issues on the Autistic Spectrum have gotten better or disappeared with therapy, medication and time. I want to make sure that she is getting all the services that she needs... make sure that I didn't miss anything. The NPR story was by Temple Grandin about her beliefs and her autism. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5628476 After listening to Temple's piece, Natasha told me with a note of awe in her voice, "She understands." Waner Natasha a 12/5/2000 from Kharkiv, Ukraine ukraine.adoptionblogs.com

Guest guest

thanks for sharing ur story. my 4yr son has some of the same things..sensory problem..social problem..ripping problem...we just found out he has aspergers not to long ago so im new to all this and i like reading stories on older children that have had theripy and so on to see wut the future holds. he didn't start theripy yet im waiting on the school district meeting probably will be held sometime in jan ugh its so stressful and im sooo lost!

Guest guest

My daughter Molly chews the same way, I would suggest asking the school for an OT to help her with this. Molly has stopped chewing her fingers, but I will add a word of warning, these behaviors have to be replaced rather than eradicated, because after she realized that she wanted pretty hands - she now peels her feet!Things do get easier. Molly was a nightmare child until this past year, we didn't know what was wrong with her, and we just got her dx'd at 13.Best of Luck,mom to four special kids Waner <amw2468@...> wrote: I have been lurking for a week or so. I love this group. I wish that I had found it years ago. I am a single mom. I adopted my darling daughter, Natasha, from Ukraine at 3.5 years of age. Natasha is now 9.5 years old. She came home with PTSD, rocking, compulsive chewing her fingernails, sensory intergration disorder, attachment issues, developmental delays across the board, crossed eyes, no eye contact, didn't want to be touched, no emotional palette except for anger. She had feeding issues. She didn't know how to chew since the orphanage mainly fed the kids soups, kasha. She came home with what international adoption doctors call "Institutional Autism". This isn't in the DSM. The idea is that her issues were caused by the

orphanage environment. http://www.adoptionarticlesdirectory.com/Article/The-second-glance-at-institutional-autism-in-internationally-adopted-children/81 Over the years she has had surgery to fix crossed eyes, physical therapy, occupational therapy, language therapy. We worked on attachment. She is strongly attached now. Her kindergarten year was awful. She didn't learn anything and was very stressed by the experience. I moved her to private school for first grade. Her self-esteem improved, but had major problems with reading and math. I moved her back to public school to repeat first grade under an IEP. She has short-term memory and rote memory issues. She was diagnosed with ADHD and language learning

disability (dsylexia). She learned to read and her ADHD medication worked great. Natasha told me that her brain feels "cleaner" on medication. Natasha thinks the medication helps her memory. She explained it this way. Teacher tells everyone to sit down and listen. She would sit down and forget to listen. She would start talking with a friend and get into trouble. Now she remembers the teacher told everyone to listen. Natasha's doctor has never heard of ADHD medication improving memory... but I agree with Natasha. I see an improvement with Natasha's memory. Without medication it took Natasha 6 months to learn 25 children's names. On medication, she learn her classmate's names in 2 months. Anyone else every hear of this? I would love to somehow get rid of her compulsive behaviors. She still chews on her fingernails. But it has improved. She does not sit

there and peal skin off her cuticles. And she doesn't cause bleeding anymore. If I push her away from chewing fingernails, she then starts picking her hair. She leans her hair over her face and pulls her hair apart... strand by strand. Then her teachers gets onto her for hiding behind her hair. So Natasha takes scissors and cuts her hair off. Ugh! This ugly little circle of behavior just happened again. Natasha cut her hair this week. We are going to get it repaired on Wednesday. Natasha is also compulsive about cutting, but this has greatly improved with medication. It still shows up when she gets stressed out. My biggest concern is social... In her words, she wanders around the playground at recess. She has friends but only in 1-on-1 situations.. and typically because I was there to explain for Natasha. Once the friendship is going via an closely supervised play date,

Natasha can handle it pretty well. Natasha has several friends with Autism, PDD-NOS or Asberger's. Last year she was assigned to be an Autistic boy¢s buddy. The boy was mainstreamed and the teacher wanted everyone in the classroom to get to know him. So she assigned a new buddy to him, every couple of months. Natasha was thrilled with her assignment. She defended him... explained his issues... tried to make sure he was included by the other kids. She invited him to her birthday party. She strongly understood him. This plus an NPR story is why I decided to have her evaluated by a developmental pediatrician for Autism (probably Asberger's). Many of Natasha's issues on the Autistic Spectrum have gotten better or disappeared with therapy, medication and time. I want to make sure that she is getting all the services that she needs... make sure that I didn't miss anything.

The NPR story was by Temple Grandin about her beliefs and her autism. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5628476 After listening to Temple's piece, Natasha told me with a note of awe in her voice, "She understands." Waner Natasha a 12/5/2000 from Kharkiv, Ukraine ukraine.adoptionblogs.com "I want to be part of the solution. Not part of the agonizing, grinding, boring complacent problem..."

Henry Rollins; From "I hate U2"

Cheap Talk? Check out Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Guest guest

My son peeled his feet too!!! I've never heard of this happening to

anyone else! He's take a safety pin and shove it right under the skin

to break it, then he'd peel it.

He doesn't do that anymore.

Theresa Mesa

Mesa Design House

http://mesadesignhouse.com

909-335-9710

Hours: By appointment only

On Dec 10, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Jen wrote:

> My daughter Molly chews the same way, I would suggest asking the

> school for an OT to help her with this. Molly has stopped chewing

> her fingers, but I will add a word of warning, these behaviors have

> to be replaced rather than eradicated, because after she realized

> that she wanted pretty hands - she now peels her feet!

>

> Things do get easier. Molly was a nightmare child until this past

> year, we didn't know what was wrong with her, and we just got her

> dx'd at 13.

>

Guest guest

My dd is the same. I agree with this sentiment. The meds allow her to concentrate and focus better therefore she remembers more when on them. Although I refuse to let here use this as a "crutch" she says "I haven't taken my meds so I can't remember or that is why I did such and such", I tell her that is not an excuse, she still KNOWS right from wrong etc without meds, she just has to make herself concentrate harder. She has been able to focus somewhat more without meds and control some of the inappropriate behaviors but her memory is definitely much better when she is on them. claire <daisygoogles@...> wrote: I feel that the medication helps focusing and that leads to the person being able to "remember". My son is severly adhd and also takes medication. When the medication wears off he can't seem to remember anything since he is so hyper and just is running and talking constantly and completely dis-combobulated.(only word I can think of right now to describe my son without meds) Waner <amw2468 > wrote: I have been lurking for a week or so. I love this group. I wish that I had found it years ago. I am a single mom. I adopted my darling daughter,

Natasha, from Ukraine at 3.5 years of age. Natasha is now 9.5 years old. She came home with PTSD, rocking, compulsive chewing her fingernails, sensory intergration disorder, attachment issues, developmental delays across the board, crossed eyes, no eye contact, didn't want to be touched, no emotional palette except for anger. She had feeding issues. She didn't know how to chew since the orphanage mainly fed the kids soups, kasha. She came home with what international adoption doctors call "Institutional Autism". This isn't in the DSM. The idea is that her issues were caused by the orphanage environment. http://www.adoptionarticlesdirectory.com/Article/The-second-glance-at-institutional-autism-in-internationally-adopted-children/81 Over the years she has had surgery to fix crossed eyes, physical therapy, occupational therapy, language therapy. We worked on attachment. She is strongly attached now. Her kindergarten year was awful. She didn't learn anything and was very stressed by the experience. I moved her to private school for first grade. Her self-esteem improved, but had major problems with reading and math. I moved her back to public school to repeat first grade under an IEP. She has short-term memory and rote memory issues. She was diagnosed with ADHD and language learning disability

Guest guest

Leave it to our kids eh? Just like the time that Molly went to boil water for tea and I had cooked recently (electric stove) so seeing it glowing she set her entire hand right on top of it - good grief! She was a pretty good sport and made me take pictures of it before we went to the ER lol.Theresa Mesa <clanmesa@...> wrote: My son peeled his feet too!!! I've never heard of this happening to anyone else! He's take a safety pin and shove it right under the skin to break it, then he'd peel

it.He doesn't do that anymore.Theresa MesaMesa Design Househttp://mesadesignhouse.com909-335-9710Hours: By appointment onlyOn Dec 10, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Jen wrote:> My daughter Molly chews the same way, I would suggest asking the > school for an OT to help her with this. Molly has stopped chewing > her fingers, but I will add a word of warning, these behaviors have > to be replaced rather than eradicated, because after she realized > that she wanted pretty hands - she now peels her feet!>> Things do get easier. Molly was a nightmare child until this past > year, we didn't know what was wrong with her, and we just got her > dx'd at 13.>"I want to be part of the solution. Not part of the agonizing, grinding, boring complacent problem..."

Henry Rollins; From "I hate U2"

Guest guest

Yeah, my sweetie grabbed a hot iron. Seemed pretty oblivious to the

pain. Now he's a weenie about pain. <grin>

Theresa Mesa

Mesa Design House

http://mesadesignhouse.com

909-335-9710

Hours: By appointment only

On Dec 13, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Jen wrote:

> Leave it to our kids eh? Just like the time that Molly went to

> boil water for tea and I had cooked recently (electric stove) so

> seeing it glowing she set her entire hand right on top of it - good

> grief! She was a pretty good sport and made me take pictures of it

> before we went to the ER lol.

>

> Theresa Mesa <clanmesa@...> wrote:

>

> My son peeled his feet too!!! I've never heard of this happening to

> anyone else! He's take a safety pin and shove it right under the skin

> to break it, then he'd peel it.

>

> He doesn't do that anymore.

>

Guest guest

THe doc when she was 18 months said it was like her nerves endings didn't make it all the way to the surface or something - she cut her head open falling against a table and had stitches without so much as a tear - she yelled about sitting still but that was it - Ithis was Molly - who is now 15)Theresa Mesa <clanmesa@...> wrote: Yeah, my sweetie grabbed a hot iron. Seemed pretty oblivious to the pain. Now he's a weenie about pain. <grin>Theresa MesaMesa Design Househttp://mesadesignhouse.com909-335-9710Hours: By appointment onlyOn Dec 13, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Jen wrote:> Leave it to our kids eh? Just like the time that Molly went to > boil water for tea and I had cooked recently (electric stove) so > seeing it glowing she set her entire hand right on top of it - good > grief! She was a pretty good sport and made me take pictures of it > before we went to the ER lol.>> Theresa Mesa <clanmesaearthlink (DOT) net> wrote:>> My son peeled his feet too!!! I've never heard of this happening to> anyone else! He's take a safety pin and shove it right under the skin> to break it, then he'd peel it.>> He doesn't do that anymore.>"I want to be part of the solution.

Not part of the agonizing, grinding, boring complacent problem..."

Henry Rollins; From "I hate U2" __________________________________________________

Guest guest

>

>

> Hello. I have recently joined the list and am basically still in

the

> deer in the headlight phase. My daughter is 9. She has been in

> therapy since she was 3.5 for anxiety related to her early history.

> She is internationally adopted. About six weeks ago, we were

walking

> through a store and she suddenly began to disclose a list of

> obsessions and compulsions she was experiencing, primarily at

school.

> The one that I understand the least is periods. She is apparently

> unable to write one because it must be exactly perfect. She has

many

> issues around writing. She is a very smart little girl with nothing

> but glowing report cards, until now. Her work has taken a sharp

dive.

> I saw her portfolio at a recent parent teacher conference and the

> work samples clearly indicate when this started. We are blessed

with

> a wonderful school who instantly problem solved; she now has her own

> lap top and does her writing on it. However, reading is problematic

> because of the periods as well. She is also bothered by little bits

> of paper on the floor, books not being straight, closet doors not

> being shut; clothing has to be symmetric. Every little cut or

scrape

> is an ordeal for the whole household. She has also had a period of

> hair pulling, and still pulls out her eyelashes when anxious.

>

> Her psychologist has referred her to a different psychologist who

> specializes in CBT. She has seen her twice. Nobody has talked

about

> medication.

>

> Thanks for letting me participate on the list. My biggest surprise

so

> far is my surprise. The long time psychologist saw this developing

> about 3 months ago, and he told me then this was a possibility;

> actually he also told me early on that he saw some things that could

> " suggest OCD down the road " according to my notes from that time.

>

> Carole

> (2 daughters and living in NC)

>

Welcome, Carole!

Even though some of us have been dealing with ocd for a while,

from time to time we all feel like we are in that deer in the

headlights phase. This is a wonderful place to gather knowledge and

support. Hope you find it helpful.

God bless,

Becky

Guest guest

Hi Carole, welcome!!

I like that " deer in the headlight " because it certainly fits at

times when OCD is in the home daily, especially when it

first " erupts " !

One of my sons, now age 18, has OCD and his hit at the start of 6th

grade. And what made me first notice it was his writing, it had

changed. Went from neat printing to what looked like chicken scratch

to me. And he would at times draw this " line " up to the top of the

page because some letter didn't look right (like if he wrote the

letter " r " , a line from the " r " would curve up to the top of the

sheet); he had lots of lines some nights and I spent time erasing

them (this was schoolwork after all!). Lots of erasing too, only he

didn't rewrite. Weird sometimes. Anyway, when I asked he said he

did it due to the feeling that something bad would happen to him if

he didn't.

At that time all his OCD seemed to be with the feeling that something

bad would happen to him and he also needed a " just right " feeling.

I'm so glad your school is being helpful!! With my son we had to set

up a 504 Plan to get him accommodations and modifications needed for

schoolwork. Sounds like your school is willing to help out without

going through all the official paperwork or have they mentioned the

possibility of an IEP or 504 Plan if needed?

Well I only have a minute now but also thought I'd pass on a bit of

info/site you might find helpful (if you haven't yet come across

this). Scroll down the page to the Trichotillomania part too for

info on the hair and eyelash pulling. It'll help you understand how

therapy/treatment for that works too.

http://www.homestead.com/westsuffolkpsych/Articles.html

Nice to " meet " someone else from NC!

single mom, 3 sons

, 18, with OCD, dysgraphia and Aspergers(autism/mild)

>

>

> Hello. I have recently joined the list and am basically still in

the

> deer in the headlight phase. My daughter is 9. She has been in

> therapy since she was 3.5 for anxiety related to her early history.

> She is internationally adopted. About six weeks ago, we were

Guest guest

Hi Carole,

I developed OCD as a child myself, and I'm still in the deer-in-the-headlights

phase of being a mom of an OCDer. I've known for years my daughter has had

OCDish symptoms, but a few months ago she confided in me how badly it is

affecting her. My daughter is also having problems in school, due to a

combination of things, OCD being a big part. she is not, however, particularly

neat! she's more the type that just won't even try if she hasn't done something

before.

Hang around here, and you'll get some good advice!

Laurie

ghog_2001 <ghog_2001@...> wrote:

Hello. I have recently joined the list and am basically still in the

deer in the headlight phase. My daughter is 9. She has been in

therapy since she was 3.5 for anxiety related to her early history.

She is internationally adopted. About six weeks ago, we were walking

through a store and she suddenly began to disclose a list of

obsessions and compulsions she was experiencing, primarily at school.

The one that I understand the least is periods. She is apparently

unable to write one because it must be exactly perfect. She has many

issues around writing. She is a very smart little girl with nothing

but glowing report cards, until now. Her work has taken a sharp dive.

I saw her portfolio at a recent parent teacher conference and the

work samples clearly indicate when this started. We are blessed with

a wonderful school who instantly problem solved; she now has her own

lap top and does her writing on it. However, reading is problematic

because of the periods as well. She is also bothered by little bits

of paper on the floor, books not being straight, closet doors not

being shut; clothing has to be symmetric. Every little cut or scrape

is an ordeal for the whole household. She has also had a period of

hair pulling, and still pulls out her eyelashes when anxious.

Her psychologist has referred her to a different psychologist who

specializes in CBT. She has seen her twice. Nobody has talked about

medication.

Thanks for letting me participate on the list. My biggest surprise so

far is my surprise. The long time psychologist saw this developing

about 3 months ago, and he told me then this was a possibility;

actually he also told me early on that he saw some things that could

" suggest OCD down the road " according to my notes from that time.

Carole

(2 daughters and living in NC)

Our list archives, bookmarks, files, and chat feature may be accessed at:

/ .

Our list advisors are Gail B. , Ed.D., Tamar Chansky, Ph.D.(

http://www.worrywisekids.org ), Dan Geller, M.D.,Aureen Pinto Wagner, Ph.D., (

http://www.lighthouse-press.com ). Our list moderators are Birkhan, Chris

Castle, Kathy Hammes, Joye, Kathy Mac, Gail Pesses, and Kathy

. Subscription issues or suggestions may be addressed to Louis Harkins,

list owner, at louisharkins@... , louisharkins@... ,

louisharkins@... .

Guest guest

In a message dated 4/4/2007 8:28:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

ghog_2001@... writes:

She is a very smart little girl with nothing

but glowing report cards, until now. Her work has taken a sharp dive.

I saw her portfolio at a recent parent teacher conference and the

work samples clearly indicate when this started.

Carole

Our dd is 15 (turning 16 next month)... was diagnosed at 14. We had issues

with school too - but luckily none so severe that we had to involve the

school. We did meet with teachers because of the amount of work our dd was

bringing home - we thought it was ridiculous. She literally spent hours &

hours -

really, all night from the time she got home until the minute she got ready

for bed, doing homework & studying. She was always an 'A' student, National

Junior Honor Society, etc etc.... so naturally we felt she was just an

overachiever and worked that hard to get those grades. It wasn't until we met

all

the teachers & her counselor at the school (8th grade) to discuss the problem

that it all started coming out.... the extra time needed on every test or

quiz - even though she might be the best student in the class... and no one

else

required extra time.... nothing was said to us & the extra time was given to

her (oh fine... I still can't believe out of all those teachers not ONE of

them spotted this as a problem)

Anyway, dd's issue at that point was checking & rechecking, etc etc.... on &

on. She would finish a paper in time - but then got stuck in a never ending

cycle of checking & rechecking her answers because she constantly doubted

anything she wrote down.

We have noticed a difference in her grades since all this came out, but

she's still doing well - thankfully. You're very fortunate to have a school

that

is so up on things & willing to help out where it can. That's great!

LT (oh, welcome!)

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Guest guest

Hi Welcome I am fairly new here and this is such a wonderful and caring group of people. I have genotype 1b and currently on tx. Congratulations on being clean and sober, good for you. Pat W <brianw6@...> wrote: Dear allI joined this group last week and would like to introduce myself.I am a 45 year old who was diagnosed with HCV in 2001(Genotype 1A, >13 million viral copies per ml blood, very high enzyme levels).I am an ex IVDU (used heroin, cocaine, amphetamines etc

etc for 20 years – I have been clean and sober for 6 years).At the time of my diagnosis, I felt that life had come to an end and that I would never get a partner/get married, everyone would reject me and that I would die a slow, painful very early death.My life then became ruled by the virus, I became “Mr Hepatitis Câ€In May 2002 I commenced a 1 year course of Pegylated interferon and Ribivarin. At week 12 my PCR showed undetectable viral load. At 6 months I began suffering from very low white blood cell count and anaemia. At this point my interferon and ribivarin dosage was halved. I went on to complete 52 weeks of therapy. Disappointingly my post treatment PCR showed that the virus had bounced back to greater than pre treatment levels as had my enzyme levels.At this point I decided that I could no longer allow myself to be ruled by this disease and that I needed to make a big change in how I approached things related to my health.I gave up

smoking and began running, eating healthily and taking milk thistle every day.Since then I have run 3 half marathons and 3 full marathons raising thousands of pounds for cancer and liver support charities. I will be running the Edinburgh Marathon in May.My health has improved drastically even though at my 6 monthly hospital check ups the viral levels are still well over 13 million but my enzyme levels are perfectly normal. I have the occasional bit of liver pain/discomfort but essentially I am fitter that I have ever been in my life and am living a very full and happy life. I have also been married for 3 years!Treatment wise my consultant believes that at the moment there is no point in trying any of the existing treatments but we are confident that at some point in the not so distant future there will be something suitable for me and as long as I keep fit and positive I will be perfectly OK.My advice to anyone who has been newly diagnosed with HCV is not

to become too negative about it. It is by no means as bad as you think and as long as you look after yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually you are in with a great chance.Take care everyone

Guest guest

Hey Bro thanks for shareing I am going to save your mail God bless you and I pray you continue to enjoy his grace he is really the only one that can add days to our life so often we pray for healing and wait for God to do everything and we do nothing but wait faith with out works is dead are you in england I am in germany but come to london now and again W <brianw6@...> wrote: Dear all I joined this group last week and would like to introduce myself. I am a 45 year old who was diagnosed with HCV in 2001(Genotype 1A, >13 million viral copies per ml blood, very high enzyme levels). I am an ex IVDU (used heroin, cocaine, amphetamines etc etc for 20 years – I have been clean and sober for 6 years). At the time of my diagnosis, I felt that life had come to an end and that I would never get a partner/get married, everyone would reject me and that I would die a slow, painful very early death. My life then became ruled by the virus, I

became “Mr Hepatitis C†In May 2002 I commenced a 1 year course of Pegylated interferon and Ribivarin. At week 12 my PCR showed undetectable viral load. At 6 months I began suffering from very low white blood cell count and anaemia. At this point my interferon and ribivarin dosage was halved. I went on to complete 52 weeks of therapy. Disappointingly my post treatment PCR showed that the virus had bounced back to greater than pre treatment levels as had my enzyme levels. At this point I decided that I could no longer allow myself to be ruled by this disease and that I needed to make a big change in how I approached things related to my health. I gave up smoking and began running, eating healthily and taking milk thistle every day. Since then I have run 3 half marathons and 3 full marathons raising thousands of pounds for cancer and liver support charities. I will be running the Edinburgh Marathon in May. My health has improved drastically even

though at my 6 monthly hospital check ups the viral levels are still well over 13 million but my enzyme levels are perfectly normal. I have the occasional bit of liver pain/discomfort but essentially I am fitter that I have ever been in my life and am living a very full and happy life. I have also been married for 3 years! Treatment wise my consultant believes that at the moment there is no point in trying any of the existing treatments but we are confident that at some point in the not so distant future there will be something suitable for me and as long as I keep fit and positive I will be perfectly OK. My advice to anyone who has been newly diagnosed with HCV is not to become too negative about it. It is by no means as bad as you think and as long as you look after yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually you are in with a great chance. Take care everyone

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Hi ,

Thank you for the inspirational introduction. It

reminds me to always look forward to tomorrow.

I am a 50 year old swf with Genotype 1. I am also

sober (13 years) and in my 22nd week of treatment with

Pegasys and Ribivarin. I was informed recently that I

will be doing an 18 month treatment plan due to the

great number of relapses with treatment.

Keep up the great work and attitude.

Jerri N.

--- W <brianw6@...> wrote:

> Dear all

>

> I joined this group last week and would like to

> introduce myself.

> I am a 45 year old who was diagnosed with HCV in

> 2001(Genotype 1A, >13 million viral copies per ml

> blood, very high enzyme levels).

> I am an ex IVDU (used heroin, cocaine, amphetamines

> etc etc for 20 years – I have been clean and sober

> for 6 years).

> At the time of my diagnosis, I felt that life had

> come to an end and that I would never get a

> partner/get married, everyone would reject me and

> that I would die a slow, painful very early death.

> My life then became ruled by the virus, I became

> “Mr Hepatitis Câ€

> In May 2002 I commenced a 1 year course of Pegylated

> interferon and Ribivarin. At week 12 my PCR showed

> undetectable viral load. At 6 months I began

> suffering from very low white blood cell count and

> anaemia. At this point my interferon and ribivarin

> dosage was halved. I went on to complete 52 weeks of

> therapy. Disappointingly my post treatment PCR

> showed that the virus had bounced back to greater

> than pre treatment levels as had my enzyme levels.

> At this point I decided that I could no longer allow

> myself to be ruled by this disease and that I needed

> to make a big change in how I approached things

> related to my health.

> I gave up smoking and began running, eating

> healthily and taking milk thistle every day.

> Since then I have run 3 half marathons and 3 full

> marathons raising thousands of pounds for cancer and

> liver support charities. I will be running the

> Edinburgh Marathon in May.

> My health has improved drastically even though at my

> 6 monthly hospital check ups the viral levels are

> still well over 13 million but my enzyme levels are

> perfectly normal. I have the occasional bit of liver

> pain/discomfort but essentially I am fitter that I

> have ever been in my life and am living a very full

> and happy life. I have also been married for 3

> years!

> Treatment wise my consultant believes that at the

> moment there is no point in trying any of the

> existing treatments but we are confident that at

> some point in the not so distant future there will

> be something suitable for me and as long as I keep

> fit and positive I will be perfectly OK.

> My advice to anyone who has been newly diagnosed

> with HCV is not to become too negative about it. It

> is by no means as bad as you think and as long as

> you look after yourself physically, emotionally and

> spiritually you are in with a great chance.

>

> Take care everyone

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

, you're email is an inspiration! I can't tell you how much it

encourages me about many things.

I have a daughter that has Hep C couldn't tolerate treatment. I have

forwarded her your email. It's the story she and I both needed to hear.

God Bless and keep you..

Thank You!

Debi in Austin

Guest guest

Great advice! Hugs, VickieG W <brianw6@...> wrote: Dear allI joined this group last week and would like to introduce myself.I am a 45 year old who was diagnosed with HCV in 2001(Genotype 1A, >13 million viral copies per ml blood, very high enzyme levels).I am an ex IVDU (used heroin, cocaine, amphetamines etc etc for 20 years – I have been clean and sober for 6 years).At the time of my diagnosis, I felt that life had come to an end and that I would never get a partner/get married,

everyone would reject me and that I would die a slow, painful very early death.My life then became ruled by the virus, I became “Mr Hepatitis Câ€In May 2002 I commenced a 1 year course of Pegylated interferon and Ribivarin. At week 12 my PCR showed undetectable viral load. At 6 months I began suffering from very low white blood cell count and anaemia. At this point my interferon and ribivarin dosage was halved. I went on to complete 52 weeks of therapy. Disappointingly my post treatment PCR showed that the virus had bounced back to greater than pre treatment levels as had my enzyme levels.At this point I decided that I could no longer allow myself to be ruled by this disease and that I needed to make a big change in how I approached things related to my health.I gave up smoking and began running, eating healthily and taking milk thistle every day.Since then I have run 3 half marathons and 3 full marathons raising thousands of pounds for cancer and

liver support charities. I will be running the Edinburgh Marathon in May.My health has improved drastically even though at my 6 monthly hospital check ups the viral levels are still well over 13 million but my enzyme levels are perfectly normal. I have the occasional bit of liver pain/discomfort but essentially I am fitter that I have ever been in my life and am living a very full and happy life. I have also been married for 3 years!Treatment wise my consultant believes that at the moment there is no point in trying any of the existing treatments but we are confident that at some point in the not so distant future there will be something suitable for me and as long as I keep fit and positive I will be perfectly OK.My advice to anyone who has been newly diagnosed with HCV is not to become too negative about it. It is by no means as bad as you think and as long as you look after yourself physically, emotionally and spiritually you are in with a great

chance.Take care everyone

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.