RemedySpot.com

New to Group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi Tonette,

I have been saving stories and chats from our site for a while. I have about 18 to 20 stories that people have sent in regarding their MRI's. Of those stories only one person said they had increased number of lesions. She gets her MRI's once a year. She had it done 6 months before starting LDN and her 6 months after starting LDN (one year after the 6 months before) showed new lesions. Then at 1.5 years after starting LDN she had another yearly MRI which showed no new lesions. Let me know if you would like me to forward the chats to your personal e-mail address?

All my best

Aletha

[low dose naltrexone] New to group

Hi all,I'm new to this group. I have MS and am on Betaseron, which doesn't seem to be helping. My last MRI showed more lesions in my spine and my disability is getting worse. I'm thinking I may want to try LDN. I live in Black Hawk, Colorado, about 40 miles from Denver. My GP isn't open to different meds and my neurologist is typical...no changes. I'm looking for a doc in this area who may have an open mind. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Guest guest

--- There is a doctor in Pocatello Idaho that will write scripts for

LDN. I know its a long drive But you only have to see her once a year

and do a phone consult one year. Her office visit charge is 250.00.

She also helps you find supplements that work very well with your

body. If your interested in her info please email me personally and I

will give you her info. nicknamedjaylo@...

In low dose naltrexone , " tonetteformico "

<tonetteformico@...> wrote:

>

> Hi all,

> I'm new to this group. I have MS and am on Betaseron, which

doesn't

> seem to be helping. My last MRI showed more lesions in my spine

and my

> disability is getting worse. I'm thinking I may want to try LDN.

I

> live in Black Hawk, Colorado, about 40 miles from Denver. My GP

isn't

> open to different meds and my neurologist is typical...no changes.

I'm

> looking for a doc in this area who may have an open mind. Any help

is

> appreciated. Thanks

>

Guest guest

I am not an infomercial. I am a person who was told about the group and they

wanted me to tell you about CCDT. Sorry that I offended you.

Thanks,

Rose Gammel

ilizzy03 <lizlaw@...> wrote:

So there is no moderating of infomercioals now?

Guest guest

Not offended by you. Some of my noncommercial messages do not go

through so I was wondering why a commercial one would is all.

> So there is no moderating of infomercioals now?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Stacey,

Welcome. You can ask the school to

evaluate him. It is at their expense. However, you have to ask them to also

run a CARS-for autism, GADS-for aspergers and a sensory profile in addition to

their normal evaluation process. Also, a lot of people do not know this, but

you can also (and I am not sure formally how you would do this in your

district) but request him to be evaluated and dx’d by one of their

experts/Psychologists. There are legal time constraints for them to get this

done once you have requested all this. Best to do in writing. Document EVERYTHING.

Dates, times, what all is going on. Have your teacher document. Email back

and forth to keep a paper trail.

Our son is in 3rd grade and

their evals showed he definitely was aspergers. It would take several visits

with a pshycologist to see aspergers, especially if they are higher

functioning, like ours. Ours was blamed on add for the first few years, but I knew

but denied to myself it was aspergers. Getting help at kindergarten age would

be so wonderful. The sooner they learn to interact with peers, hopefully, the

better the outcome, before their behaviors become so much more a part of them.

Also, while after/while you pursue this

with the district, read Tony Attwood’s book The complete guide to

Aspergers Syndrome and pursue your local regional center – apply with

them and get help with social groups. In hindsight, if I could have I would

have asap.

Hope this helps,

Regina

Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:22

AM

Subject: ( ) New to

group

Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process

of getting our

son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he

was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate

him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has

been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we

didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all

we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended

twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an

official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who

does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know

that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal

everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss

anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just

having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We

have only been once and that was back in November since them they

have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated.

Ontop of everything Austin

doesn't want to go to school anymore

because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe

him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears

rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am

here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right

now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

Guest guest

Thank you very much! At the advice of the psycologist I wrote a written request to have my son evaluated and they sent me a letter to deny them evaluating him. Stating that at that time they seen no academic reason to evaluate him. He is at or above averge on his schooling. He is in kindergarten and learns by memorization most of which he already knew prior to going to school so no duh! I am just really frustrated because the school won't help at all the only one helping is his teacher thank God for her. She has even had a talk with the other teachers that deal with Austin and they are refusing to treat him any different then the other kids. Which I can understand but makes me mad at the same time. Today he actually came home from school without a discplinary notice from his music teacher! I just checked out the book you mentioned but hadn't got a chance to really sit down and read it. I just wish this whole process was easier. I just

hate that Austin has to go through this stuff when he shouldn't have to. I just keep counting down the days when school will be over and I don't have to sit by the phone waiting to hear from the principal saying come get your kid because he's being violent again. The major issue we are having right now is trying to get him to keep his hands/feet to himself. The slightest little thing will set him off and if he can't hit the person or thing that cause the disturbance he will hit innocent bystanders. This has been a problem since I can remember but not knowing how to help him understand or break the cycle of doing this is where I am at a loss. I have helped him through all kinds of sensory issues some of which we are still working on but they are not as severe as they were when he was 2 or 3. This I have no idea where to even begin on helping him. What bothers me the most is the music teacher that sends all of the notes home puts on every

single one "This must stop!!" Yeah with the exclamaition points too. I want to go and have a meeting with this woman so bad!genasu <genasu@...> wrote: Hi Stacey, Welcome. You can ask the school to evaluate him. It is at their

expense. However, you have to ask them to also run a CARS-for autism, GADS-for aspergers and a sensory profile in addition to their normal evaluation process. Also, a lot of people do not know this, but you can also (and I am not sure formally how you would do this in your district) but request him to be evaluated and dx’d by one of their experts/Psychologists. There are legal time constraints for them to get this done once you have requested all this. Best to do in writing. Document EVERYTHING. Dates, times, what all is going on. Have your teacher document. Email back and forth to keep a paper trail. Our son is in

3rd grade and their evals showed he definitely was aspergers. It would take several visits with a pshycologist to see aspergers, especially if they are higher functioning, like ours. Ours was blamed on add for the first few years, but I knew but denied to myself it was aspergers. Getting help at kindergarten age would be so wonderful. The sooner they learn to interact with peers, hopefully, the better the outcome, before their behaviors become so much more a part of them. Also, while after/while you pursue this with the district, read Tony Attwood’s book The complete guide to Aspergers Syndrome and pursue your local regional center – apply with them

and get help with social groups. In hindsight, if I could have I would have asap. Hope this helps, Regina From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of mom2two236Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:22 AM Subject: ( ) New to group Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he was borderling Asperger's but needed to see

him to further evaluate him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We have only been once and that was back in November since them they have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. Ontop of everything

Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Just from reading your email, I would say that he does have an academic problem. His behaviors are such that he is being removed from class, sent to the principal, sent home - all of this impacting negatively on his ability to learn. Luckily, grades are not a reason to deny services or an evaluation. I would find an advocate in your area who can help you navigate this. If you list your state, we can find your area parent training center so you can start finding help.

I would write again and list all of the problems he is having, add that grades alone are not sufficient evidence/reason to deny an evaluation and let them know that he is having severe problems which are making him miss a large amount of classtime and that these problems are due to a probable disability of AS/HFA. Let them know he is on a waiting list for an evaluation for this disorder and that meanwhile, he is struggling in school and you feel he need special education services in order to receive a free and appropriate education.

Here is a page with good information. It is an answer to a parent who can't get her kid evaluated and they outline what she needs to do --> http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/sec504.idea.eligibility.htm

RoxannaAutism Happens

RE: ( ) New to group

Thank you very much! At the advice of the psycologist I wrote a written request to have my son evaluated and they sent me a letter to deny them evaluating him. Stating that at that time they seen no academic reason to evaluate him. He is at or above averge on his schooling. He is in kindergarten and learns by memorization most of which he already knew prior to going to school so no duh! I am just really frustrated because the school won't help at all the only one helping is his teacher thank God for her. She has even had a talk with the other teachers that deal with Austin and they are refusing to treat him any different then the other kids. Which I can understand but makes me mad at the same time. Today he actually came home from school without a discplinary notice from his music teacher!

I just checked out the book you mentioned but hadn't got a chance to really sit down and read it. I just wish this whole process was easier. I just hate that Austin has to go through this stuff when he shouldn't have to. I just keep counting down the days when school will be over and I don't have to sit by the phone waiting to hear from the principal saying come get your kid because he's being violent again.

The major issue we are having right now is trying to get him to keep his hands/feet to himself. The slightest little thing will set him off and if he can't hit the person or thing that cause the disturbance he will hit innocent bystanders. This has been a problem since I can remember but not knowing how to help him understand or break the cycle of doing this is where I am at a loss. I have helped him through all kinds of sensory issues some of which we are still working on but they are not as severe as they were when he was 2 or 3. This I have no idea where to even begin on helping him. What bothers me the most is the music teacher that sends all of the notes home puts on every single one "This must stop!!" Yeah with the exclamaition points too. I want to go and have a meeting with this woman so bad!genasu <genasumylittle (DOT) org> wrote:

Hi Stacey,

Welcome. You can ask the school to evaluate him. It is at their expense. However, you have to ask them to also run a CARS-for autism, GADS-for aspergers and a sensory profile in addition to their normal evaluation process. Also, a lot of people do not know this, but you can also (and I am not sure formally how you would do this in your district) but request him to be evaluated and dx’d by one of their experts/Psychologists. There are legal time constraints for them to get this done once you have requested all this. Best to do in writing. Document EVERYTHING. Dates, times, what all is going on. Have your teacher document. Email back and forth to keep a paper trail.

Our son is in 3rd grade and their evals showed he definitely was aspergers. It would take several visits with a pshycologist to see aspergers, especially if they are higher functioning, like ours. Ours was blamed on add for the first few years, but I knew but denied to myself it was aspergers. Getting help at kindergarten age would be so wonderful. The sooner they learn to interact with peers, hopefully, the better the outcome, before their behaviors become so much more a part of them.

Also, while after/while you pursue this with the district, read Tony Attwood’s book The complete guide to Aspergers Syndrome and pursue your local regional center – apply with them and get help with social groups. In hindsight, if I could have I would have asap.

Hope this helps,

Regina

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of mom2two236Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:22 AM Subject: ( ) New to group

Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We have only been once and that was back in November since them they have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.9/1417 - Release Date: 5/6/2008 8:07 AM

Guest guest

Hi Stacey,

I feel for you...it's a trying time.

If your son is in the public school system, he should be able to see

a physichatrist through the school system (at their cost, not yours,

depending on where you live). By the way, it is not a school

physichatrist, they are independent of the school.

When our ds, who is 17 yrs. old went through this, he had a

wonderful 1st grade teacher who was a child advocate and she realy

helped.

The school should offer (after your son is diagnosed) a physcologist

also during the school day.

Also, if your son has any motor skill problems (as alot of aspies do)

they should also give him occupational therapy during the school day.

I would really start with your pediatrician to help get things going

first.

Then you can go on from there.

I hope this helps.

It may seem like a long process (and it can be), but it sure is

worth it.

Good luck,

Sharon

>

> Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting

our

> son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that

he

> was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further

evaluate

> him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he

has

> been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we

> didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like

all

> we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended

> twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an

> official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who

> does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know

> that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the

principal

> everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him

miss

> anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just

> having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office.

We

> have only been once and that was back in November since them they

> have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really

frustrated.

> Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore

> because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe

> him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with

tears

> rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I

am

> here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need

right

> now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

>

Guest guest

Do you know of any advocates in your

area? What state are you in. Here in Missouri

we have advocates who help see that the IDEA is carried out and the procedural

safeguards are. It is so frustrating. I am sorry you have to go through

this.

Regina

Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:20

PM

Subject: RE: ( )

New to group

Thank you very much! At the advice of the psycologist I wrote a written

request to have my son evaluated and they sent me a letter to deny them

evaluating him. Stating that at that time they seen no academic reason to

evaluate him. He is at or above averge on his schooling. He is in kindergarten

and learns by memorization most of which he already knew prior to going to

school so no duh! I am just really frustrated because the school won't help at

all the only one helping is his teacher thank God for her. She has even had a

talk with the other teachers that deal with Austin and they are refusing to treat him any

different then the other kids. Which I can understand but makes me mad at the

same time. Today he actually came home from school without a discplinary notice

from his music teacher!

I just checked out the book you mentioned but hadn't got a chance to

really sit down and read it. I just wish this whole process was easier. I just hate

that Austin has

to go through this stuff when he shouldn't have to. I just keep counting down

the days when school will be over and I don't have to sit by the phone waiting

to hear from the principal saying come get your kid because he's being violent

again.

The major issue we are having right now is trying to get him to keep

his hands/feet to himself. The slightest little thing will set him off and if

he can't hit the person or thing that cause the disturbance he will hit

innocent bystanders. This has been a problem since I can remember but not

knowing how to help him understand or break the cycle of doing this is where I

am at a loss. I have helped him through all kinds of sensory issues some of

which we are still working on but they are not as severe as they were when he

was 2 or 3. This I have no idea where to even begin on helping him. What

bothers me the most is the music teacher that sends all of the notes home puts

on every single one " This must stop!! " Yeah with the exclamaition points

too. I want to go and have a meeting with this woman so bad!

genasu <genasumylittle (DOT) org>

wrote:

Hi Stacey,

Welcome. You can ask the school to

evaluate him. It is at their expense. However, you have to ask them

to also run a CARS-for autism, GADS-for aspergers and a sensory profile in

addition to their normal evaluation process. Also, a lot of people do not

know this, but you can also (and I am not sure formally how you would do this

in your district) but request him to be evaluated and dx’d by one of their

experts/Psychologists. There are legal time constraints for them to

get this done once you have requested all this. Best to do in

writing. Document EVERYTHING. Dates, times, what all is going

on. Have your teacher document. Email back and forth to keep a

paper trail.

Our son is in 3rd grade

and their evals showed he definitely was aspergers. It would take several

visits with a pshycologist to see aspergers, especially if they are higher

functioning, like ours. Ours was blamed on add for the first few years,

but I knew but denied to myself it was aspergers. Getting help at

kindergarten age would be so wonderful. The sooner they learn to interact

with peers, hopefully, the better the outcome, before their behaviors become so

much more a part of them.

Also, while after/while you pursue

this with the district, read Tony Attwood’s book The complete guide to

Aspergers Syndrome and pursue your local regional center – apply with them and

get help with social groups. In hindsight, if I could have I would have

asap.

Hope this helps,

Regina

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of mom2two236

Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:22

AM

Subject: ( ) New to

group

Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our

son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he

was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate

him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has

been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we

didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all

we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended

twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an

official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who

does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know

that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal

everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss

anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just

having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We

have only been once and that was back in November since them they

have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated.

Ontop of everything Austin

doesn't want to go to school anymore

because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe

him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears

rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am

here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right

now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try

it now.

Guest guest

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I did start with his doctor and that is how we have gotten to the office we are at now. I became aware of Austin being slightly different when he was about 3 or 4. Since then we have been trying to navigate our way on finding a diagnosis for him. So we have been on this road a long time and would like to see something good happen and soon. He is rescheduled to go back to the doctor on the 30th of this month. Come hell or high water I will make sure he gets seen by this doctor. I refuse to put him through another school year like he has gone through this year. The only person who is trying to help us now is his teacher. The principal's stand on this is that they can't do anything without a piece of paper from the doctor's office saying that he does indeed have a problem. I am pretty sure that you have to have a formal education where you got to college to become a principa right? Then anyone

who spends a bit of time with my son can see that he has problems. If he is getting sent to your office where you have to call me to come get him because he is hitting other kids then there is a problem. The first time he called me because Austin had been suspended he thought it strange that my son had just had a major melt down and was sitting so calmly and quietly in his office. I just can't get over how it seems like they don't want to reach out and help the children who need it. If they aren't teaching to help the kids then what are they teaching for?smitch458 <smitch458@...> wrote: Hi Stacey,I feel for you...it's a trying time.If your son is in the public school system, he should be able to see a physichatrist through the school system (at their cost, not yours, depending on where you live). By the way, it is not a school physichatrist, they are independent of the school.When our ds, who is 17 yrs. old went through this, he had a wonderful 1st grade teacher who was a child advocate and she realy helped.The school should offer (after your son is diagnosed) a physcologist also during the school day.Also, if your son has any motor skill problems (as alot of aspies do)they should also give him occupational therapy during the school day.I would really start with your pediatrician to help get things going first.Then you can go on from there.I hope this helps.It may seem like a long process (and it can be), but it

sure isworth it.Good luck,Sharon>> Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our > son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he > was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate > him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has > been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we > didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all > we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended > twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an > official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who > does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for

us. I know > that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal > everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss > anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just > having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We > have only been once and that was back in November since them they > have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. > Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore > because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe > him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears > rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am > here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right > now. Thanks for listening.

Stacey>

Guest guest

Thank you all so much. I live in Ohio. I am just lost as to know what to do or what I should be doing.genasu <genasu@...> wrote: Do you know of any advocates in your area? What state are you in. Here in Missouri we have advocates who help see that the IDEA is carried out and the procedural safeguards are. It is so frustrating. I am sorry you

have to go through this. Regina From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Stacey SpeakmanSent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:20 PM Subject: RE: ( ) New to group Thank you very much! At the advice of the psycologist I wrote a written request to have my son

evaluated and they sent me a letter to deny them evaluating him. Stating that at that time they seen no academic reason to evaluate him. He is at or above averge on his schooling. He is in kindergarten and learns by memorization most of which he already knew prior to going to school so no duh! I am just really frustrated because the school won't help at all the only one helping is his teacher thank God for her. She has even had a talk with the other teachers that deal with Austin and they are refusing to treat him any different then the other kids. Which I can understand but makes me mad at the same time. Today he actually came home from school without a discplinary notice from his music teacher! I

just checked out the book you mentioned but hadn't got a chance to really sit down and read it. I just wish this whole process was easier. I just hate that Austin has to go through this stuff when he shouldn't have to. I just keep counting down the days when school will be over and I don't have to sit by the phone waiting to hear from the principal saying come get your kid because he's being violent again. The major issue we are having right now is trying to get him to keep his hands/feet to himself. The slightest little thing will set him off and if he can't hit the person or thing that cause the disturbance he will hit innocent bystanders. This has been a problem since I can remember but not

knowing how to help him understand or break the cycle of doing this is where I am at a loss. I have helped him through all kinds of sensory issues some of which we are still working on but they are not as severe as they were when he was 2 or 3. This I have no idea where to even begin on helping him. What bothers me the most is the music teacher that sends all of the notes home puts on every single one "This must stop!!" Yeah with the exclamaition points too. I want to go and have a meeting with this woman so bad!genasu <genasumylittle (DOT) org> wrote: Hi Stacey, Welcome. You can ask the school to evaluate him. It is at their expense. However, you have to ask them to also run a CARS-for autism, GADS-for aspergers and a sensory profile in addition to their normal evaluation process. Also, a lot of people do not know this, but you can also (and I am not sure formally how you would do this in your district) but request him to be evaluated and dx’d by one of their experts/Psychologists. There are legal time constraints for them to get this done once you have requested all this. Best to do in writing. Document EVERYTHING. Dates, times, what all is going on. Have your teacher document. Email back and forth to keep a paper trail. Our son is in 3rd grade and their evals showed he definitely was aspergers. It would take several visits with a pshycologist to see aspergers, especially if they are higher functioning, like ours. Ours was blamed on add for the first few years, but I knew but denied to myself it was aspergers. Getting help at kindergarten age would be so wonderful. The sooner they learn to interact with peers, hopefully, the better the outcome, before their behaviors become so much more a part of them. Also, while after/while you pursue this with the district, read Tony Attwood’s book The complete guide to Aspergers Syndrome and pursue your local regional center –

apply with them and get help with social groups. In hindsight, if I could have I would have asap. Hope this helps, Regina From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of mom2two236Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:22 AM Subject: ( ) New to group Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he was borderling

Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We have only been once and that was back in November since them they have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. Ontop

of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right now. Thanks for listening. Stacey Be a better friend,

newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Hi Stacey,

I live in Ohio too! I am up close to Cleveland/Akron area.

In Ohio, we have the Ohio Coalition to help out. --> http://www.ocecd.org/

They do trainings all the time plus you can have your area trainer also go to meetings with you or come and talk to you especially about your situation.

RoxannaAutism Happens

RE: ( ) New to group

Thank you all so much. I live in Ohio. I am just lost as to know what to do or what I should be doing.genasu <genasumylittle (DOT) org> wrote:

Do you know of any advocates in your area? What state are you in. Here in Missouri we have advocates who help see that the IDEA is carried out and the procedural safeguards are. It is so frustrating. I am sorry you have to go through this.

Regina

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Stacey SpeakmanSent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:20 PM Subject: RE: ( ) New to group

Thank you very much! At the advice of the psycologist I wrote a written request to have my son evaluated and they sent me a letter to deny them evaluating him. Stating that at that time they seen no academic reason to evaluate him. He is at or above averge on his schooling. He is in kindergarten and learns by memorization most of which he already knew prior to going to school so no duh! I am just really frustrated because the school won't help at all the only one helping is his teacher thank God for her. She has even had a talk with the other teachers that deal with Austin and they are refusing to treat him any different then the other kids. Which I can understand but makes me mad at the same time. Today he actually came home from school without a discplinary notice from his music teacher!

I just checked out the book you mentioned but hadn't got a chance to really sit down and read it. I just wish this whole process was easier. I just hate that Austin has to go through this stuff when he shouldn't have to. I just keep counting down the days when school will be over and I don't have to sit by the phone waiting to hear from the principal saying come get your kid because he's being violent again.

The major issue we are having right now is trying to get him to keep his hands/feet to himself. The slightest little thing will set him off and if he can't hit the person or thing that cause the disturbance he will hit innocent bystanders. This has been a problem since I can remember but not knowing how to help him understand or break the cycle of doing this is where I am at a loss. I have helped him through all kinds of sensory issues some of which we are still working on but they are not as severe as they were when he was 2 or 3. This I have no idea where to even begin on helping him. What bothers me the most is the music teacher that sends all of the notes home puts on every single one "This must stop!!" Yeah with the exclamaition points too. I want to go and have a meeting with this woman so bad!genasu <genasumylittle (DOT) org> wrote:

Hi Stacey,

Welcome. You can ask the school to evaluate him. It is at their expense. However, you have to ask them to also run a CARS-for autism, GADS-for aspergers and a sensory profile in addition to their normal evaluation process. Also, a lot of people do not know this, but you can also (and I am not sure formally how you would do this in your district) but request him to be evaluated and dx’d by one of their experts/Psychologists. There are legal time constraints for them to get this done once you have requested all this. Best to do in writing. Document EVERYTHING. Dates, times, what all is going on. Have your teacher document. Email back and forth to keep a paper trail.

Our son is in 3rd grade and their evals showed he definitely was aspergers. It would take several visits with a pshycologist to see aspergers, especially if they are higher functioning, like ours. Ours was blamed on add for the first few years, but I knew but denied to myself it was aspergers. Getting help at kindergarten age would be so wonderful. The sooner they learn to interact with peers, hopefully, the better the outcome, before their behaviors become so much more a part of them.

Also, while after/while you pursue this with the district, read Tony Attwood’s book The complete guide to Aspergers Syndrome and pursue your local regional center – apply with them and get help with social groups. In hindsight, if I could have I would have asap.

Hope this helps,

Regina

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of mom2two236Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:22 AM Subject: ( ) New to group

Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We have only been once and that was back in November since them they have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.9/1418 - Release Date: 5/6/2008 5:17 PM

Guest guest

Is the principal the one who denied the evaluation? And if the evaluation was denied, was it denied in writing? The principal is incorrect that you have to have a piece of paper before they can/will do anything. You need to ask him to put his denial in writing including his reason. Tell him you need this for your records. Always put your requests in writing and get your replies that way. You should keep a paper trail. If he refuses to put this in writing, you can always write a follow up letter and restate briefly what was discussed and decided as you understand it. Then also, you need to speak to the head of the special education department and not him. Well, I sent info on the Ohio Coalition a minute ago. Contact them and get hold of your area rep. That person can really help you get this evaluation done.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) Re: New to group

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I did start with his doctor and that is how we have gotten to the office we are at now. I became aware of Austin being slightly different when he was about 3 or 4. Since then we have been trying to navigate our way on finding a diagnosis for him. So we have been on this road a long time and would like to see something good happen and soon. He is rescheduled to go back to the doctor on the 30th of this month. Come hell or high water I will make sure he gets seen by this doctor.

I refuse to put him through another school year like he has gone through this year. The only person who is trying to help us now is his teacher. The principal's stand on this is that they can't do anything without a piece of paper from the doctor's office saying that he does indeed have a problem. I am pretty sure that you have to have a formal education where you got to college to become a principa right? Then anyone who spends a bit of time with my son can see that he has problems. If he is getting sent to your office where you have to call me to come get him because he is hitting other kids then there is a problem. The first time he called me because Austin had been suspended he thought it strange that my son had just had a major melt down and was sitting so calmly and quietly in his office. I just can't get over how it seems like they don't want to reach out and help the children who need it. If they aren't teaching to help the kids then what are they teaching for?smitch458 <smitch458 > wrote:

Hi Stacey,I feel for you...it's a trying time.If your son is in the public school system, he should be able to see a physichatrist through the school system (at their cost, not yours, depending on where you live). By the way, it is not a school physichatrist, they are independent of the school.When our ds, who is 17 yrs. old went through this, he had a wonderful 1st grade teacher who was a child advocate and she realy helped.The school should offer (after your son is diagnosed) a physcologist also during the school day.Also, if your son has any motor skill problems (as alot of aspies do)they should also give him occupational therapy during the school day.I would really start with your pediatrician to help get things going first.Then you can go on from there.I hope this helps.It may seem like a long process (and it can be), but it sure isworth it.Good luck,Sharon>> Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our > son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he > was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate > him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has > been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we > didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all > we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended > twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an > official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who > does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know > that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal > everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss > anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just > having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We > have only been once and that was back in November since them they > have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. > Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore > because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe > him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears > rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am > here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right > now. Thanks for listening. Stacey>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.9/1418 - Release Date: 5/6/2008 5:17 PM

Guest guest

Depending which area of Ohio you are in...see the Parent Training Information Centers below. They should be able to help direct your next steps and perhaps provide a parent mentor for support.

Pam :)

PARENT TRAINING AND INFORMATION PROJECTSMargaret Burley, Executive Director OH Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities Bank One Building 165 West Center Street, Suite 302 n, OH 43302-3741 (614) 382-5452 (800) 374-2806 (V/TTY) E-mail: ocecd@... Heizman, Executive Director Child Advocacy Center 1821 Summit Rd., #303 Cincinnati, OH 45237 (513) 821-2400 (V/TTY) E-mail: CADCenter@...

Dena Hook, Parent Assistance Ohio Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities 165 W. Center Street, Suite 302 Bank One Building n, OH 43302-3741 (800) 374-2806 E-mail: ocecd@... Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

Guest guest

Have you considered homeschooling? At least the younger years even? Some of our kids really can't handle the classroom environement and do much better learning where they are relaxed.mom2two236 <mom2two23@...> wrote: Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has been having the most awful

time. At the beginning of the year we didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We have only been once and that was back in November since them they have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe him to get on the school

bus everday but he still leaves with tears rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

Guest guest

MY SON IS 8 AND HAS ASPERGERS. HE HAS ALREADY BEEN KICKED OUT OF 2 SCHOOLS AND SUSPENDED NUMEROUS TIMES AT EACH SCHOOL DUE TO HIS BEHAVIORS AND THE SCHOOLS IGNORANCE TOWARDS AUTISM! I HAD CONSIDERED HOME SCHOOLING, BUT A CHILD W/ AUTISM NEEDS TO BE AROUND OTHER KIDS IN ORDER TO LEARN SOCIALIZATION SKILLS. FROM MY EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE TO REALLY PUSH THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS TO GET THE SERVICES A CHILD W/ AUTISM NEEDS. AFTER MANY MEETINGS W/ THE SCHOOLS WE HAVE NOW FOUND A PROGRAM IN DISTRICT W/ AN AUTISM CLINIC AND A MUCH SMALLER TEACHER TO CHILD RATIO. I HOPE THIS HELPS AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AS MY SON HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED SINCE HE WAS 15 MOS OLD AND HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE W/ THIS!! Ake <lessen@...> wrote: Have you considered homeschooling? At least the younger years even? Some of our kids really can't handle the classroom environement and do much better learning where they are relaxed.mom2two236 <mom2two23 > wrote: Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we didn't hear much

about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We have only been once and that was back in November since them they have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears rolling

down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right now. Thanks for listening. Stacey

Guest guest

I never knew a child or anyone could be diagnosed with Aspergers at 18 months! WOW!! I thought Aspergers developed at around 4 years of age, and that one of the reason it was differentiated from Autism is that children basically develop normally, talk normal (at normal times), etc., and that is what made it autism versus Aspergers???

Anyway, sounds like a great program the child is in, but I would question that if he is autistic (rather than Aspergers) he should have had headstart and all kinds of services through your local school agency, prior to turning three years of age, at which time, in our state (Iowa) they go to an inclusive pre-school program; the autistic (not aspergers but autistic) kiddos I have worked with have done this path and then entered regular kindergarten (they are brilliant, just have autism!!!!).........anyway, that is just my two sense.

Glad he has a program, and as a home schooling mom of my 14 year old with AS, I would like to let you know that you are incorrect about socialization (that is the hugest / biggest myth of home schooling, so just correcting an incorrect way of thinking)..................my 14 year old is probably more socialized than my public school 6 year old with AS! SERIOUSLY. My six year old 'hides' from the people / does not see them if you will; my 14 year old is participating with them, volunteering, in basketball, on a baseball team, on waivers that take him places and out in the public, in a support group for AS which makes him read at and Noble on Saturdays, go golfing and other outings, etc., etc., etc. That is the biggest myth of home schooling; teachers and schools and our parents are the best at rubbing that concern in to us; talk to some home schooling parents, and you just might change your mind.

Home schooling is like this STRESS FREE fun! Public school was hell for our 14 year old, everyday, I was called for SOMETHING by that place, and then, to add insult to injury, I was constantly accused of something, my son was ignored, my husband and I (and our little boys for that matter) were horribly verbally abused every night over home work! Positives, no stress now. We read a couple hours a day, write things all the time, study often about things he enjoys, we are all learning as a household (I learn something new and shocking every single day myself now!). We are feeding and watching the birds and learning about all of them, listening to their music (all free music at that). He is learning to cook, clean, do laundry, get along with people, call and schedule things on his own (with me supervising and / or on the phone), etc. He is HAPPY, and so are we....it is peace and happiness. Just thought I would share the difference on the 'other side!!!'

We went from HELL to HEAVEN in a few short months...........and, the ride has been hard, sometimes interesting, but soooooo rewarding in the end. I even get hugs and kisses again, and told I LOVE YOU MOM, in front of other TEENS again...........can you believe that?? So, it is worth it!!! I would do it all again in five seconds flat!!!

Ruthie Dolezal

From: amandapatti73@...Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:16:13 -0700Subject: Re: ( ) New to group

MY SON IS 8 AND HAS ASPERGERS. HE HAS ALREADY BEEN KICKED OUT OF 2 SCHOOLS AND SUSPENDED NUMEROUS TIMES AT EACH SCHOOL DUE TO HIS BEHAVIORS AND THE SCHOOLS IGNORANCE TOWARDS AUTISM! I HAD CONSIDERED HOME SCHOOLING, BUT A CHILD W/ AUTISM NEEDS TO BE AROUND OTHER KIDS IN ORDER TO LEARN SOCIALIZATION SKILLS. FROM MY EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE TO REALLY PUSH THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS TO GET THE SERVICES A CHILD W/ AUTISM NEEDS. AFTER MANY MEETINGS W/ THE SCHOOLS WE HAVE NOW FOUND A PROGRAM IN DISTRICT W/ AN AUTISM CLINIC AND A MUCH SMALLER TEACHER TO CHILD RATIO. I HOPE THIS HELPS AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AS MY SON HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED SINCE HE WAS 15 MOS OLD AND HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE W/ THIS!! Ake <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote:

Have you considered homeschooling? At least the younger years even? Some of our kids really can't handle the classroom environement and do much better learning where they are relaxed.mom2two236 <mom2two23 > wrote:

Guest guest

Thought these links were helpful in explaining AS diagnosis and AS vs. Autism: http://www.aspergers.com/aspcrit.htm, http://www.aspergers.com/aspdiff.htm!!! As far as the socialization thing goes-thanks for your input. My son is extremely social, but some kids w/ AS or Autism are not so much and that's why I said that. Also, I feel that for my son and many kids w/ the disorder still need to practice and learn social appropriateness and social cues that sometime they don't pick up on when w/ others. BRYAN DOLEZAL <DOLEZAL123@...> wrote: I never knew a child or anyone could be diagnosed with Aspergers at 18 months! WOW!! I thought Aspergers developed at around 4 years of age, and that one of the reason it was differentiated from Autism is that children basically develop normally, talk normal (at normal times), etc., and that is what made it autism versus Aspergers??? Anyway, sounds like a great program the child is in, but I would question that if he is autistic (rather than Aspergers) he should have had headstart and all kinds of services through your local school agency, prior to turning three years of age, at which time, in our state (Iowa) they go to an

inclusive pre-school program; the autistic (not aspergers but autistic) kiddos I have worked with have done this path and then entered regular kindergarten (they are brilliant, just have autism!!!!).........anyway, that is just my two sense. Glad he has a program, and as a home schooling mom of my 14 year old with AS, I would like to let you know that you are incorrect about socialization (that is the hugest / biggest myth of home schooling, so just correcting an incorrect way of thinking)..................my 14 year old is probably more socialized than my public school 6 year old with AS! SERIOUSLY. My six year old 'hides' from the people / does not see them if you will; my 14 year old is participating with them, volunteering, in basketball, on a baseball team, on waivers that take him places and out in the public, in a support group for AS which makes him read at and Noble on Saturdays, go golfing and other outings, etc.,

etc., etc. That is the biggest myth of home schooling; teachers and schools and our parents are the best at rubbing that concern in to us; talk to some home schooling parents, and you just might change your mind. Home schooling is like this STRESS FREE fun! Public school was hell for our 14 year old, everyday, I was called for SOMETHING by that place, and then, to add insult to injury, I was constantly accused of something, my son was ignored, my husband and I (and our little boys for that matter) were horribly verbally abused every night over home work! Positives, no stress now. We read a couple hours a day, write things all the time, study often about things he enjoys, we are all learning as a household (I learn something new and shocking every single day myself now!). We are feeding and watching the birds and learning about all of them, listening to their music (all free music at that). He is learning to cook,

clean, do laundry, get along with people, call and schedule things on his own (with me supervising and / or on the phone), etc. He is HAPPY, and so are we....it is peace and happiness. Just thought I would share the difference on the 'other side!!!' We went from HELL to HEAVEN in a few short months...........and, the ride has been hard, sometimes interesting, but soooooo rewarding in the end. I even get hugs and kisses again, and told I LOVE YOU MOM, in front of other TEENS again...........can you believe that?? So, it is worth it!!! I would do it all again in five seconds flat!!!Ruthie Dolezal From: amandapatti73 Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 09:16:13 -0700Subject: Re: ( ) New to group MY SON IS 8 AND HAS

ASPERGERS. HE HAS ALREADY BEEN KICKED OUT OF 2 SCHOOLS AND SUSPENDED NUMEROUS TIMES AT EACH SCHOOL DUE TO HIS BEHAVIORS AND THE SCHOOLS IGNORANCE TOWARDS AUTISM! I HAD CONSIDERED HOME SCHOOLING, BUT A CHILD W/ AUTISM NEEDS TO BE AROUND OTHER KIDS IN ORDER TO LEARN SOCIALIZATION SKILLS. FROM MY EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE TO REALLY PUSH THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS TO GET THE SERVICES A CHILD W/ AUTISM NEEDS. AFTER MANY MEETINGS W/ THE SCHOOLS WE HAVE NOW FOUND A PROGRAM IN DISTRICT W/ AN AUTISM CLINIC AND A MUCH SMALLER TEACHER TO CHILD RATIO. I HOPE THIS HELPS AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AS MY SON HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED SINCE HE WAS 15 MOS OLD AND HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIENCE W/ THIS!! Ake <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Have you considered homeschooling? At least the younger years even? Some of our kids

really can't handle the classroom environement and do much better learning where they are relaxed.mom2two236 <mom2two23 > wrote: Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know that

he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We have only been once and that was back in November since them they have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right now. Thanks for listening. Stacey Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Thank you so much. I feel like I am being a bad parent because I have no idea what I should be doing to help my son. Yes, the denied evaluation is in writing and I do have it on file. Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote: Is the principal the one who denied the evaluation? And if the evaluation was denied, was it denied in writing? The principal is incorrect that you have to have a piece of paper before they can/will do anything. You need to ask him to put his denial

in writing including his reason. Tell him you need this for your records. Always put your requests in writing and get your replies that way. You should keep a paper trail. If he refuses to put this in writing, you can always write a follow up letter and restate briefly what was discussed and decided as you understand it. Then also, you need to speak to the head of the special education department and not him. Well, I sent info on the Ohio Coalition a minute ago. Contact them and get hold of your area rep. That person can really help you get this evaluation done. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) Re: New to group Thank you so much for the encouragement. I did start with his doctor and that is how we have gotten to the office we are at now. I became aware of Austin being slightly different when he was about 3 or 4. Since then we have been trying to navigate our way on finding a diagnosis for him. So we have been on this road a long time and would like to see something good happen and soon. He is rescheduled to go back to the doctor on the 30th of this month. Come hell or high water I will make sure he gets seen by

this doctor. I refuse to put him through another school year like he has gone through this year. The only person who is trying to help us now is his teacher. The principal's stand on this is that they can't do anything without a piece of paper from the doctor's office saying that he does indeed have a problem. I am pretty sure that you have to have a formal education where you got to college to become a principa right? Then anyone who spends a bit of time with my son can see that he has problems. If he is getting sent to your office where you have to call me to come get him because he is hitting other kids then there is a problem. The first time he called me because Austin had been suspended he thought it strange that my son had just had a major melt down and was sitting so calmly and quietly in his office. I just can't get over how it seems like they don't want to reach out and help the children who need it. If they aren't

teaching to help the kids then what are they teaching for?smitch458 <smitch458 > wrote: Hi Stacey,I feel for you...it's a trying time.If your son is in the public school system, he should be able to see a physichatrist through the school system (at their cost, not yours, depending on where you live). By the way, it is not a school physichatrist, they are independent of the school.When our ds, who is 17 yrs. old went through this, he had a wonderful 1st grade teacher who was a child advocate and she realy helped.The school should offer (after your son is diagnosed) a physcologist also during the school day.Also, if your son has any motor skill problems (as alot of aspies do)they should also give him occupational therapy during the school day.I would really start with your pediatrician

to help get things going first.Then you can go on from there.I hope this helps.It may seem like a long process (and it can be), but it sure isworth it.Good luck,Sharon>> Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our > son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he > was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate > him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has > been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we > didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all > we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended > twice. The principal said they can't do anything until

they get an > official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who > does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know > that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal > everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss > anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just > having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We > have only been once and that was back in November since them they > have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. > Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore > because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe > him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears > rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am > here for help guidance

advice and support. All of which I need right > now. Thanks for listening. Stacey> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.23.9/1418 - Release Date: 5/6/2008 5:17 PM

Guest guest

A school cannot deny an evaluation so I would contact a lawyer, and I would think they will send out one letter and have that resolved. In fact, before contacting a lawyer, just contact your local education association because it is against the law to deny it. Before that, you can call the superintendent and let him know the principal has disregarded the law and has put in writing a denial of your request for an evaluation for your child and that you want to have one done immediately.

Just know, though, that since it was denied, the AEA will find with the school and support them so your child won't need a thing (or that is most of us experience---hopefully yours will be different) but you must do at least the free fight back!!! And, be prepared to be treated like you are huge idiot; you are NOT but they will try to wear you down. Do FIGHT, and do not give up.

Ruthie Dolezal

From: mom2two23@...Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 17:43:56 -0700Subject: Re: ( ) Re: New to group

Thank you so much. I feel like I am being a bad parent because I have no idea what I should be doing to help my son. Yes, the denied evaluation is in writing and I do have it on file. Roxanna <madideaszoominternet (DOT) net> wrote:

Is the principal the one who denied the evaluation? And if the evaluation was denied, was it denied in writing? The principal is incorrect that you have to have a piece of paper before they can/will do anything. You need to ask him to put his denial in writing including his reason. Tell him you need this for your records. Always put your requests in writing and get your replies that way. You should keep a paper trail. If he refuses to put this in writing, you can always write a follow up letter and restate briefly what was discussed and decided as you understand it. Then also, you need to speak to the head of the special education department and not him. Well, I sent info on the Ohio Coalition a minute ago. Contact them and get hold of your area rep. That person can really help you get this evaluation done.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) Re: New to group

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I did start with his doctor and that is how we have gotten to the office we are at now. I became aware of Austin being slightly different when he was about 3 or 4. Since then we have been trying to navigate our way on finding a diagnosis for him. So we have been on this road a long time and would like to see something good happen and soon. He is rescheduled to go back to the doctor on the 30th of this month. Come hell or high water I will make sure he gets seen by this doctor.

I refuse to put him through another school year like he has gone through this year. The only person who is trying to help us now is his teacher. The principal's stand on this is that they can't do anything without a piece of paper from the doctor's office saying that he does indeed have a problem. I am pretty sure that you have to have a formal education where you got to college to become a principa right? Then anyone who spends a bit of time with my son can see that he has problems. If he is getting sent to your office where you have to call me to come get him because he is hitting other kids then there is a problem. The first time he called me because Austin had been suspended he thought it strange that my son had just had a major melt down and was sitting so calmly and quietly in his office. I just can't get over how it seems like they don't want to reach out and help the children who need it. If they aren't teaching to help the kids then what are they teaching for?smitch458 <smitch458 > wrote:

Hi Stacey,I feel for you...it's a trying time.If your son is in the public school system, he should be able to see a physichatrist through the school system (at their cost, not yours, depending on where you live). By the way, it is not a school physichatrist, they are independent of the school.When our ds, who is 17 yrs. old went through this, he had a wonderful 1st grade teacher who was a child advocate and she realy helped.The school should offer (after your son is diagnosed) a physcologist also during the school day.Also, if your son has any motor skill problems (as alot of aspies do)they should also give him occupational therapy during the school day.I would really start with your pediatrician to help get things going first.Then you can go on from there.I hope this helps.It may seem like a long process (and it can be), but it sure isworth it.Good luck,Sharon>> Hi, my name is Stacey and we are still in the process of getting our > son diagnosed. At the last appointment we were at they said that he > was borderling Asperger's but needed to see him to further evaluate > him. Since then school has started, he is in kindergarten, and he has > been having the most awful time. At the beginning of the year we > didn't hear much about his bad behaviours but recently it's like all > we get our discipline notices and he has already been suspended > twice. The principal said they can't do anything until they get an > official diagnosis. Luckily for us his teacher has a grandson who > does has Asperger's and has really been a blessing for us. I know > that he has issues everyday but she won't send him to the principal > everytime he does something wrong. She doesn't want to see him miss > anymore school and is really trying to work with us. We are just > having the most awful time getting back into the doctor's office. We > have only been once and that was back in November since them they > have cancelled two appointments on us. We are just really frustrated. > Ontop of everything Austin doesn't want to go to school anymore > because it's not fun he says. So I have to beg and plead and bribe > him to get on the school bus everday but he still leaves with tears > rolling down his cheecks. I can't wait until school is over. So I am > here for help guidance advice and support. All of which I need right > now. Thanks for listening. Stacey>

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/9/2008 9:04:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, DOLEZAL123@... writes:

A school cannot deny an evaluation

Actually a school can deny an evaluation. They have to give reasons in writing for doing so. You can go to mediation if you do not agree with the school's decision. Pam :)Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

From what I hear the options are Dr. Goldberg in CA or Dr. Russel who is in TX

and also travels to NY.

Subject: New to group

Date: Sunday, July 20, 2008, 10:24 PM

Does anyone know of a DR. in or around pa practicing the

protocol. My son has elevated HHV6, EBV, and strep antibodies. My Dan

seems to want toonly treat the strep. Although I really like him, I am

not loving his answer. Any advice would be great. Someone had

recommended nnyautismcenter. Hoing there is something even closer, but

willing to travel.