Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN

http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm

Guest guest

HI Tmmy,

Welcome to the group.

Heidi

On 6/1/07, deta pendergraff <dfpend@...> wrote:

>

> Welcome Tammy aka: Samiyah, I too have fibro w/other BADDDDDDDDD things.

> We

> didn't know what was going on in 2000 & was diag 2003. I don't write a lot

>

> unless a post makes me pick up the keyboard. I read & sympathize with

> EVERYone here. Glad to hear your suggestions, problems and vents. Soft

> hugs

> & Prayers.

> Fayray

>

> >From: " Tammy " <twizzler3_13849@... <twizzler3_13849%40>>

> >Reply- < %40>

> > < %40>

> >Subject: [ ] New to Group

> >Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 20:32:44 -0000

> >

> >Hello every one I am new to the group...My name is Tammy..but I am

> >called Samiyah..I have Fibromyalgia and had it since 1989 but fully

> >diagnosed in 1992...I hope to get to know many people here...and

> >discus some of my fibro problems and what ever else is on my

> >mind...take care and god bless...here is to a pain free day...gentle

> >hugs...

> >

>

> __________________________________________________________

> Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN

>

http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm<http://liveearth.msn.com/?\

source=msntaglineliveearthhm>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Date: 2007/06/06 Wed AM 06:52:07 CDT

Subject: ( ) new to group

It is so amazing to me that some kids act up only at home or school. My daughter

is FINE at home. As a matter of fact, none of my friends can believe there is

anything wrong with her. Put her in a school situation, though and look out.

She'll do anything there, but she would never do it here.

I don't know what to tell you. At least you are not getting calls from

school....sounds like some OCD with the homework and some normal cranky teen-age

stuff.

Hi- I'm new to this group and my son is 15 with Asperger's. He is in

a therapeutic high school, college prep. He has no behavior issues at

school, excellent grades, but at home. . . HELP! His school anxiety

keeps him working on homework until 1-2am, then he literally falls out

of bed onto the bus at 7am. He needs time to relax when he gets home,

so says he can't start his homework until " later " . When we remind him

that it's late, he swears at us to leave him alone. He is irritable,

disrespectful and generally nasty to be around. He used to be violent,

but that stopped when we called the police to the house- he was

mortified and never hit anyone again. We're at our wits end. His

sister keeps saying she wish this were a happy home- her brother makes

it so miserable. Anyone dealing with anything like this?

Heard from the TV

Of the latest bombing

The girls were dancing

She was coming of age

Shells fired out

Flowers mowed down

Innocence targeted

Whose God is this?

Wish that she had one more day

There at the seaside

5th of december

We chased the tide

As her treasures

Were gathered

I had to laugh

As she gave sand a bath

Jangle jangle

Jingle jangle

Jangle and circle again (Seaside) Tori Amos

Guest guest

Hi, and welcome.

My 14 yr old aspie son, spends a lot of time in his room doing

homework. He has a computer there and spends hours listening to the

same music (he likes weird al yankovic :). Anyway he does not have

great grades and has had several incomplete assignments. Now this

week he is scrambling to study for finals and finish assignments. My

husband and I try to check on him often otherwise he doesn't get

anything done. But when we keep pushing he does get very irritated

at us. He even gets disrespectful, and I think I will use that,

calling the police, if he ever gets violent with us. He hasn't had

any real issues with that.

What did the police say and do when they came?

Now his twin NT sister is like your daughter and wishes he

were " normal " .

I also wanted to ask what is a therapeutic high school, college prep?

>

> Hi- I'm new to this group and my son is 15 with Asperger's. He

is in

> a therapeutic high school, college prep. He has no behavior issues

at

> school, excellent grades, but at home. . . HELP! His school

anxiety

> keeps him working on homework until 1-2am, then he literally falls

out

> of bed onto the bus at 7am. He needs time to relax when he gets

home,

> so says he can't start his homework until " later " . When we remind

him

> that it's late, he swears at us to leave him alone. He is

irritable,

> disrespectful and generally nasty to be around. He used to be

violent,

> but that stopped when we called the police to the house- he was

> mortified and never hit anyone again. We're at our wits end. His

> sister keeps saying she wish this were a happy home- her brother

makes

> it so miserable. Anyone dealing with anything like this?

>

Guest guest

HI. I hate to ask,,,,,,,,because I don't want it to sound like the "cure all",,,,but is he on meds? We've been through the times when no one is happy. Period. When we finally got the right "meds combo",,,,,,,my 8 yr old daughter whispered to me that Ian was being nice and that he seemed happy. This was MAJOR because the other kids had basically learned to be silent in the morning before school as to not upset Ian more. No one spoke or smiled or anything......we walked on eggshells just to avoid screaming and dropping to the ground in tension/anger/sadness................... They'd also ALWAYS let him have the computer right after school. It calmed him......or let him get "lost" in his game or whatever at the moment and he didn't have to deal with reality. It was amazing how we all adjusted to not make it worse for Ian,,,,,,because if it got worse for him,,,,it was hell for

everyone. I'm in tears now,,,,,because this change has taken place in just the past month......I almost don't want to speak of it. I think now,,,how awful it must have been for him to be so uncomfortable.......so angry and not "ok" in your skin that you ruin everyone elses life, too. I hope you know what I mean.........I'm not trying to sound rude. Anyway,,,,,,,Now when he gets mad,,,,,,,,it's still rough,,,,but it doesn't last 1 - 5 hours!!!! AND....along with the "still bad" moments,,,there are now good ones, too. Robin quilteretc <homeisnh@...> wrote: Hi- I'm new to this group and my son is 15 with Asperger's. He is in a therapeutic high school, college prep. He has no behavior issues at school, excellent grades, but at home. . . HELP! His school anxiety keeps him working on homework until 1-2am, then he literally falls out of bed onto the bus at 7am. He needs time to relax when he gets home, so says he can't start his homework until "later". When we remind him that it's late, he swears at us to leave him alone. He is irritable, disrespectful and generally nasty to be around. He used to be violent, but that stopped when we called the police to the house- he was mortified and never hit anyone again. We're at our wits end. His sister keeps saying she wish this were a happy home- her brother makes it so miserable. Anyone dealing with anything like this?

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Guest guest

I would have to say that puberty is probably playing a big role in his presentation. My son is 16 and he was pretty heightened and aggressive (verbally and physically) from 13-15. He seems to have calmed down lately. We did have to involve the police at one point because he became out of control and physically aggressive to my husband. We have had to parent him very differently than what is considered "the norm". Pam :)See what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

Hi ,

When we called the police on our son, they were awesome. They explained to him that hitting was considered assault and that he wasn't a little kid any more. They told him that if he did that again, they would have to bring him down to the station. They also told him that he did not seem like a "bad kid" at all and that he wouldn't want to him to ruin his life. He was terrified. The officers were great, not threatening or mean, but very firm and clear. It worked. If anyone out there thinks they may need to go this route, it might help to speak to your local police first, just to let them know the situation. We found them to be very supportive- they appreciate a parent trying to be tough with a teenager, and have too often seen the results of teens who do get in trouble.

We have our son at a pretty unique school, new this year. It's for asperger's, bipolar, depression, anxiety, etc. but the kids must be college-bound (i.e. want to do well in school) and non-violent. It's an hour a way, but worth it so far. We even got the school district to pay for it. Problem for our ds is that he feels like a "SPED", which he considers "shameful." (HIS words, not mine.) He appears and acts "normal" most of the time, except at home, when he lets his emotions and anxiety get to him. They do a great job with the kids, but ds isn't happy- don't think he would be happy anywhere right now. We used to be able to talk about it, but with the teen-age stuff, he just shuts down and retreats to his room. Wish we could throw the computer out the window sometimes!

Sue

( ) Re: new to group

Hi, and welcome.My 14 yr old aspie son, spends a lot of time in his room doing homework. He has a computer there and spends hours listening to the same music (he likes weird al yankovic :). Anyway he does not have great grades and has had several incomplete assignments. Now this week he is scrambling to study for finals and finish assignments. My husband and I try to check on him often otherwise he doesn't get anything done. But when we keep pushing he does get very irritated at us. He even gets disrespectful, and I think I will use that, calling the police, if he ever gets violent with us. He hasn't had any real issues with that.What did the police say and do when they came?Now his twin NT sister is like your daughter and wishes he were "normal".I also wanted to ask what is a therapeutic high school, college prep?>> Hi- I'm new to this group and my son is 15 with Asperger's. He is in > a therapeutic high school, college prep. He has no behavior issues at > school, excellent grades, but at home. . . HELP! His school anxiety > keeps him working on homework until 1-2am, then he literally falls out > of bed onto the bus at 7am. He needs time to relax when he gets home, > so says he can't start his homework until "later". When we remind him > that it's late, he swears at us to leave him alone. He is irritable, > disrespectful and generally nasty to be around. He used to be violent, > but that stopped when we called the police to the house- he was > mortified and never hit anyone again. We're at our wits end. His > sister keeps saying she wish this were a happy home- her

brother makes > it so miserable. Anyone dealing with anything like this?>

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

Guest guest

In a message dated 6/7/2007 8:12:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, smitch458@... writes:

We're in New Jersey

So am I, what part of this great state ;-) (notice my signature line) are you from?

Barbara in Clifton

"We learned more from a three minute record baby than we ever learned in school"

Bruce Springsteen, No Surrender

Guest guest

Hi Sue, I'm Sharon. What is this school that your son goes to? We're in New Jersey and I think my son would like a school like this and even more than that, benefit from it. Please let me know. Thanks Sue Orlove <homeisnh@...> wrote: Hi , When we called the police on our son, they were awesome. They explained to him that hitting was considered assault and that he wasn't a little kid any more. They told him that if he did that again, they would have to bring him down to the station. They also told him that he did not seem like a "bad kid" at all and that he wouldn't want to him to ruin his life. He was terrified. The officers were great, not threatening or mean, but very firm and clear. It worked. If anyone out there thinks they may need to go this route, it might help to speak to your local police first, just to let them know the situation. We found them to be very supportive- they appreciate a parent trying to be tough with a teenager, and have too often seen the results of teens who do get in trouble. We have our son at a pretty unique school, new this year. It's for asperger's, bipolar, depression, anxiety, etc. but the kids must be college-bound (i.e. want to do well in school) and non-violent. It's an hour a way, but worth it so far. We even got the school district to pay for it. Problem for our ds is that he feels like a "SPED", which he considers "shameful." (HIS words, not mine.) He appears and acts "normal" most of the time, except at home, when he lets his emotions and anxiety get to him. They do a great job with the kids, but ds isn't happy- don't think he would be happy anywhere right now. We used to be able to talk about it, but with the teen-age stuff, he just shuts down and retreats to his room. Wish we could throw the computer out the window sometimes! Sue ( ) Re: new to group Hi, and welcome.My 14 yr old aspie son, spends a lot of time in his room doing homework. He has a computer there and spends hours listening to the same music (he likes weird al yankovic :). Anyway he does not have great grades and has had several incomplete assignments. Now this week he is scrambling to study for finals and finish assignments. My husband and I try to check on him often otherwise he doesn't get anything done. But when we keep pushing he does get very irritated at us. He even gets

disrespectful, and I think I will use that, calling the police, if he ever gets violent with us. He hasn't had any real issues with that.What did the police say and do when they came?Now his twin NT sister is like your daughter and wishes he were "normal".I also wanted to ask what is a therapeutic high school, college prep?>> Hi- I'm new to this group and my son is 15 with Asperger's. He is in > a therapeutic high school, college prep. He has no behavior issues at > school, excellent grades, but at home. . . HELP! His school anxiety > keeps him working on homework until 1-2am, then he literally falls out > of bed onto the bus at 7am. He needs time to relax when he gets home, > so says he can't start

his homework until "later". When we remind him > that it's late, he swears at us to leave him alone. He is irritable, > disrespectful and generally nasty to be around. He used to be violent, > but that stopped when we called the police to the house- he was > mortified and never hit anyone again. We're at our wits end. His > sister keeps saying she wish this were a happy home- her brother makes > it so miserable. Anyone dealing with anything like this?> Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.

Guest guest

Sharon- The school is in Beverly, MA. New England Academy.

( ) Re: new to group

Hi, and welcome.My 14 yr old aspie son, spends a lot of time in his room doing homework. He has a computer there and spends hours listening to the same music (he likes weird al yankovic :). Anyway he does not have great grades and has had several incomplete assignments. Now this week he is scrambling to study for finals and finish assignments. My husband and I try to check on him often otherwise he doesn't get anything done. But when we keep pushing he does get very irritated at us. He even gets disrespectful, and I think I will use that, calling the police, if he ever gets violent with us. He hasn't had any real issues with that.What did the police say and do when they came?Now his twin NT sister is like your daughter and wishes he were "normal".I also wanted to ask what is a therapeutic high school, college prep?>> Hi- I'm new to this group and my son is 15 with Asperger's. He is in > a therapeutic high school, college prep. He has no behavior issues at > school, excellent grades, but at home. . . HELP! His school anxiety > keeps him working on homework until 1-2am, then he literally falls out > of bed onto the bus at 7am. He needs time to relax when he gets home, > so says he can't start his homework until "later". When we remind him > that it's late, he swears at us to leave him alone. He is irritable, > disrespectful and generally nasty to be around. He used to be violent, > but that stopped when we called the police to the house- he was > mortified and never hit anyone again. We're at our wits end. His > sister keeps saying she wish this were a happy home- her

brother makes > it so miserable. Anyone dealing with anything like this?>

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.Visit the Auto Green Center.

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Guest guest

I was also concerned w/ my DS when he wasn't speaking words by age 18 -

20 mos (everyone said " he's a boy " - as in don't compare him to your

girls who spoke early). Finally I called the local early intervention

(Help Me Grow in Ohio) who suggested a speech eval and a hearing screen

at age 22 mos. I'm so glad I did that. If I'd listened to my dr. and

even a SLP (who I work w/) we would have waited until after he was 2

yrs old to do anything. Since therapy started (about 6 mos, but only

every other week of formal therapy, we also work w/ him at home), he's

saying about 20 - 30 words and he's trying to put 3 and 4 words

together! Many times we can't understand what he's trying to say,

but... He does understand everyting we say to him and he does some

simple signs. oh, we also started fish oil supplements, but I'm not

sure if we've noticed the dramatic change that others have, maybe we're

not using the right brand?

Goodluck,

Bonnie

Guest guest

Our son goes to Summit in Youngstown.

Suzanne

-- ( ) New to group

My 11 Year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome provisional. Not sure what the "provisional" means though. If anyone out there knows I would like to know. I have been trying to research all that I can about Aspergers and try to understand all the different aspects of the Autistic Spectrum. There is so much as a parent to learn. I knew for years that my daughter was different, but just couldn't put my finger on it. She started off at 6 being diagnosed with ADD, then at 9 she developed OCD. She always had lots of meltdowns and no matter what I tried to get her involved in sports, dance, ect. she just did not interact with the other children. I knew something was wrong, just didn't know how to FIX it.

I didn't have any support from our public school as she is academically advanced for her age. They would not even consider an IEP for that reason.

A friend of mine had heard of a school called Summit Academy that is for children with ADD and Aspergers. I decided to send her there. Although its not perfect, if you can imagine a classroom of students all having ADD and Aspergers, my daughter feels very comfortable at this school. Her class has 11 kids with a teacher and a mentor. Big switch for a class with 25 kids and 1 teacher. Don't know if any of you are from Ohio, but we have several Summit Academies and they are tuition free. I feel very fortunate to have this school available to me. I live in Portage County. Would love to find others in the area that have children my daughters age. If you would like more info on the school, I would be happy to help you. Sorry this is so long, and I look forward to meeting you all.

Pat

See what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

I'm so jealous!!!! I checked out the website and saw it's only in Ohio.....darn. Anyone know of something like this in Wisconsin? Robin.Suzanne <suzannex6@...> wrote: Our son goes to Summit in Youngstown. Suzanne -- ( ) New to group My 11 Year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome provisional. Not sure what the "provisional" means though. If anyone out there knows I would like to know. I have been trying to research all that I can about Aspergers and try to understand all the

different aspects of the Autistic Spectrum. There is so much as a parent to learn. I knew for years that my daughter was different, but just couldn't put my finger on it. She started off at 6 being diagnosed with ADD, then at 9 she developed OCD. She always had lots of meltdowns and no matter what I tried to get her involved in sports, dance, ect. she just did not interact with the other children. I knew something was wrong, just didn't know how to FIX it. I didn't have any support from our public school as she is academically advanced for her age. They would not even consider an IEP for that reason. A friend of mine had heard of a school called Summit Academy that is for children with ADD and Aspergers. I decided to send her there. Although its not perfect, if you can imagine a classroom of students all having ADD and Aspergers, my daughter feels very comfortable at this school. Her class has 11 kids with a

teacher and a mentor. Big switch for a class with 25 kids and 1 teacher. Don't know if any of you are from Ohio, but we have several Summit Academies and they are tuition free. I feel very fortunate to have this school available to me. I live in Portage County. Would love to find others in the area that have children my daughters age. If you would like more info on the school, I would be happy to help you. Sorry this is so long, and I look forward to meeting you all. Pat See what's free at AOL.com.

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Guest guest

Hi, Pat. My name is Tricia and I have a 10 yr old aspie son who has attended

Summit Academy for the past two years in Middletown, Ohio. This school has

made a huge impact on him socially and he has made some academic progress.

This past year, unfortunately was not the greatest, because he did not have

the right teacher. She was great in challenging him academically, but she

did not have the nurturing side she needed. My son hated her. We have

enrolled him again for next year and they are trying to create a smaller

class of 6 kids with just Aspergers who are his age group and academic

level. I hope this works out as my son needs a lot more help academically

than some. I wish Summit had more support than they do financially. My son's

school is really run down and they are looking to relocate. I think it is a

great school overall. It is not perfect and could improve, but it has been

the best place for my son right now. It helps that it is tuition free. Good

luck with the upcoming school year!

Tricia

Picture this – share your photos and you could win big!

http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM & loc=us

Guest guest

Welcom and Lucy!

Unfortunaley your story is all to familiar.  For what ever reason DRs don't seem to take our babies heads as seriously as we mommys do.  I too was told not to worry and had to fight - but I started fighting sooner and got my dd a band at 6 months.

I am so glad you found us!  Please post pics of little Lucy - do you call her Lu?  My dd is Luli and we call her Lu all the time!!!

Jen and Luli - 18 mo.

Left Tort - Right Plagio - Hanger Band Grad - CA

tallulah jayne

www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jens5th/

new to group

Hello,

I just linked to this group from another website and promptly joined

and began looking through all the files. My daughter just turned 1 on

Wednesday, and tomorrow we are going to Cleveland for our casting

(eek!). My daughter has some neck muscle imbalance and developed a

flat spot, that has led to some assymetries and jaw misalignment.

Around 4 months, I began doing some reading on my own and purchased

some items to help with repositioning. I asked my pediatrician about

it at every check and was constantly reassured that it was not a big

deal and it would round out on its own. So we waited. At about 8

months I really started to worry. I thought, hmmm, this is not really

rounding out and our time is limited. I made an appointment with the

ped. specifically to discuss her head shape and for the umpteenth

time was told not to worry about it. So I began some internet

research, and found cranial tech. I made the consultation appt., and

indeed my concerns were founded, there is assymetry and she easily

should have a band to help correct her misalignments. In addition,

she needs to be doing some PT exercises to help loosen those neck

muscles. So back to the pediatrician I went to try and get the

prescription. Well, her basically laughed when I suggested what we

wanted to do. He had never heard of such a thing! In any event, we

got the prescription, and insurance has approved it, and now we are

embarking upon this journey. The worst part is I just feel badly that

my daughter is older. I knew all along from my mommy instinct, that

her head shape wasn't rounding out and I tried to do what I could on

my own. But with no support from our doctor, I felt like an over

anxious mom. Of course there's the benefit of hindsight, but I just

wish we'd been able to get started sooner. anyway, I look forward to

learning from the experiences of the group, and I hope my little Lucy

adjusts well to her Doc band. Wish us luck at our casting tomorrow.

Thanks,

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.

Guest guest

I just wanted to say many babies have been banded 1 and older and still received wonderful correction. Good luck with the casting and please let us know how it goes.

Angie and jenna

new to group

Hello, I just linked to this group from another website and promptly joined and began looking through all the files. My daughter just turned 1 on Wednesday, and tomorrow we are going to Cleveland for our casting (eek!). My daughter has some neck muscle imbalance and developed a flat spot, that has led to some assymetries and jaw misalignment. Around 4 months, I began doing some reading on my own and purchased some items to help with repositioning. I asked my pediatrician about it at every check and was constantly reassured that it was not a big deal and it would round out on its own. So we waited. At about 8 months I really started to worry. I thought, hmmm, this is not really rounding out and our time is limited. I made an appointment with the ped. specifically to discuss her head shape and for the umpteenth time was told not to worry about it. So I began some internet research, and found cranial tech. I made the consultation appt., and indeed my concerns were founded, there is assymetry and she easily should have a band to help correct her misalignments. In addition, she needs to be doing some PT exercises to help loosen those neck muscles. So back to the pediatrician I went to try and get the prescription. Well, her basically laughed when I suggested what we wanted to do. He had never heard of such a thing! In any event, we got the prescription, and insurance has approved it, and now we are embarking upon this journey. The worst part is I just feel badly that my daughter is older. I knew all along from my mommy instinct, that her head shape wasn't rounding out and I tried to do what I could on my own. But with no support from our doctor, I felt like an over anxious mom. Of course there's the benefit of hindsight, but I just wish we'd been able to get started sooner. anyway, I look forward to learning from the experiences of the group, and I hope my little Lucy adjusts well to her Doc band. Wish us luck at our casting tomorrow. Thanks,

Guest guest

Welcome to the group!! better late than never I say .

new to group

Hello, I just linked to this group from another website and promptly joined and began looking through all the files. My daughter just turned 1 on Wednesday, and tomorrow we are going to Cleveland for our casting (eek!). My daughter has some neck muscle imbalance and developed a flat spot, that has led to some assymetries and jaw misalignment. Around 4 months, I began doing some reading on my own and purchased some items to help with repositioning. I asked my pediatrician about it at every check and was constantly reassured that it was not a big deal and it would round out on its own. So we waited. At about 8 months I really started to worry. I thought, hmmm, this is not really rounding out and our time is limited. I made an appointment with the ped. specifically to discuss her head shape and for the umpteenth time was told not to worry about it. So I began some internet research, and found cranial tech. I made the

consultation appt., and indeed my concerns were founded, there is assymetry and she easily should have a band to help correct her misalignments. In addition, she needs to be doing some PT exercises to help loosen those neck muscles. So back to the pediatrician I went to try and get the prescription. Well, her basically laughed when I suggested what we wanted to do. He had never heard of such a thing! In any event, we got the prescription, and insurance has approved it, and now we are embarking upon this journey. The worst part is I just feel badly that my daughter is older. I knew all along from my mommy instinct, that her head shape wasn't rounding out and I tried to do what I could on my own. But with no support from our doctor, I felt like an over anxious mom. Of course there's the benefit of hindsight, but I just wish we'd been able to get started sooner. anyway, I look forward to learning from the experiences of

the group, and I hope my little Lucy adjusts well to her Doc band. Wish us luck at our casting tomorrow. Thanks,

Bored stiff? Loosen up...Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.

Guest guest

Welcome to the group. Im glad you've been persistent and are getting a

band for your daughter. I'm sure you'll be happy you did. This is a

great group for support. Let us know how the casting goes.

-christine

sydney 17 mo starband grad.

>

> Hello,

> I just linked to this group from another website and promptly joined

> and began looking through all the files. My daughter just turned 1 on

> Wednesday, and tomorrow we are going to Cleveland for our casting

> (eek!). My daughter has some neck muscle imbalance and developed a

> flat spot, that has led to some assymetries and jaw misalignment.

> Around 4 months, I began doing some reading on my own and purchased

> some items to help with repositioning. I asked my pediatrician about

> it at every check and was constantly reassured that it was not a big

> deal and it would round out on its own. So we waited. At about 8

> months I really started to worry. I thought, hmmm, this is not really

> rounding out and our time is limited. I made an appointment with the

> ped. specifically to discuss her head shape and for the umpteenth

> time was told not to worry about it. So I began some internet

> research, and found cranial tech. I made the consultation appt., and

> indeed my concerns were founded, there is assymetry and she easily

> should have a band to help correct her misalignments. In addition,

> she needs to be doing some PT exercises to help loosen those neck

> muscles. So back to the pediatrician I went to try and get the

> prescription. Well, her basically laughed when I suggested what we

> wanted to do. He had never heard of such a thing! In any event, we

> got the prescription, and insurance has approved it, and now we are

> embarking upon this journey. The worst part is I just feel badly that

> my daughter is older. I knew all along from my mommy instinct, that

> her head shape wasn't rounding out and I tried to do what I could on

> my own. But with no support from our doctor, I felt like an over

> anxious mom. Of course there's the benefit of hindsight, but I just

> wish we'd been able to get started sooner. anyway, I look forward to

> learning from the experiences of the group, and I hope my little Lucy

> adjusts well to her Doc band. Wish us luck at our casting tomorrow.

> Thanks,

>

>

Guest guest

My son is also taking Prozac in the morning and Respridal at night. He takes

these

medications for Anxiety, depression and impulse control disorder. One of the

side effects

that we get from the Respridal is SLEEP..

I am currently participated in a Research Study at the Local Children's

Hospital.. It's called

Sleep study in children with Autism. I learned some very interesting things

yesterday and

the Sleep Doctor that is doing the study emphasizes a bedtime routine that is

followed the

same way every night to help with sleep. They also made suggestions for things

to do

during the day... limit caffiene, exercie in the morning, MORNING light, evening

darkness,

no naps or at least no late afternoon napping! I'm lucky in the sense that my

son does

sleep NOW because of the medicine. When he's not taking meds... it normally

takes up

about 2 hours to fall asleep and then he would wake up really early.

Jackie

>

> Hi! I just joined the other day, and have been receiving daily

> emails from this group. Now, I'd like to introduce myself.

> My name is , and I have a 5 y/o DD with Asperger's. I also

> have a 4 y/o DD with Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I would like to thank

> ConnieS (from another board) for giving me the link here. As I have

> read posts over the past few days, all I can say is WOW! that sounds

> like MY daughter!!! LOL She has been out of school the past few

> weeks, due to her being off meds and being WAY TOO

> UNCONTROLLABLE!!!! Thankfully, she is back on her meds and is going

> back to Kindergarten tomorrow. (YAY for me....a break LOL) She is

> currently on prozac and riperdal to help treat her ocd, adhd and

> behavior. I am curious though...what other meds are your aspies on

> (if any) that have helped with behavior? started off taking

> AdderallXR, and after 3 months the effects were wearing off and she

> would wake up in the middle of the night and go on " destructo

> rampages " . It was at that point we had her switched to Risperdal.

> Also, i've been reading thru ohter sites that sleep disorders are

> common. Are any of yours taking meds for sleeping???

>

> Thanks

> V~

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

We go to Straight ahead in Cleveland too! They are great. is

very helpful with the PT stretching. We actually scheduled to have

our daughter have PT sessions with her a few times. She let us video

tape them so we can watch it back and do them at home. is

great as well. He does Cranial Sacral therapy on . I swear

it has helped. I hope the casting went well.

>

> Hello,

> I just linked to this group from another website and promptly

> and began looking through all the files. My daughter just turned 1

on

> Wednesday, and tomorrow we are going to Cleveland for our casting

> (eek!). My daughter has some neck muscle imbalance and developed a

> flat spot, that has led to some assymetries and jaw misalignment.

> Around 4 months, I began doing some reading on my own and purchased

> some items to help with repositioning. I asked my pediatrician

about

> it at every check and was constantly reassured that it was not a

big

> deal and it would round out on its own. So we waited. At about 8

> months I really started to worry. I thought, hmmm, this is not

really

> rounding out and our time is limited. I made an appointment with

the

> ped. specifically to discuss her head shape and for the umpteenth

> time was told not to worry about it. So I began some internet

> research, and found cranial tech. I made the consultation appt.,

and

> indeed my concerns were founded, there is assymetry and she easily

> should have a band to help correct her misalignments. In addition,

> she needs to be doing some PT exercises to help loosen those neck

> muscles. So back to the pediatrician I went to try and get the

> prescription. Well, her basically laughed when I suggested what we

> wanted to do. He had never heard of such a thing! In any event, we

> got the prescription, and insurance has approved it, and now we are

> embarking upon this journey. The worst part is I just feel badly

that

> my daughter is older. I knew all along from my mommy instinct, that

> her head shape wasn't rounding out and I tried to do what I could

on

> my own. But with no support from our doctor, I felt like an over

> anxious mom. Of course there's the benefit of hindsight, but I just

> wish we'd been able to get started sooner. anyway, I look forward

to

> learning from the experiences of the group, and I hope my little

Lucy

> adjusts well to her Doc band. Wish us luck at our casting tomorrow.

> Thanks,

>

>

Guest guest

Hi (and ),

I just had my consult with this past Friday at Straight

ahead. I had first gone to Hanger last week and they did nothing

but check insurance and tell me so far they wont cover, no consult,

cash pmt plan, nothing. I was soooo mad. Anyway they seem so great

at Straight ahead in Cleveland. She did measurments and

everything. I have been working with my doctor to do something

since she was 2mths and got the same as many others get that it will

go away. Even a plastic surgeon said that! I have done

repositioning and then therapy since 4 mths. Even a plastic surgeon

said that! Her measurments are 20mm and misalignments also which

are in range for a helmet for sure. " mom's instincts are always

right " . My daughter Kayla is 7 mths now. Worried with her being

older but realize how many are like Lucy and even older than that.

Seems to work well still at the older age. My pedio is very new so

I do all the research. I nn a new pedio I think for sure. Anyway I

am having problems with insurance. She is on Caresource right now,

and I am in an appeal stage. But I don't want to wait any longer

and at Sraight Ahead they say they wont cover. I still am going to

fight for it. I just hope that if I pay out on my own for this I

can get reimbursed later on if I can win something for this. I have

the appointment this next saturday for the Casting. After being all

nervous and sad she has to go through this just happy I am just

getting something done about it and have heard good things with the

company so far!

I hope the casting went well for Lucy! If you have any in's for