RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Another newbie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi there guys.. I've been reading the group for a few weeks now, soon

as I got my diagnosis and finally got around to joining tonight!

People like " grandpavan " have been making me smile for a few weeks

now and thought I'd like to intro myself and tell you a little about

me!

I'm Missie () 31 from Michigan. Married w/2 kids, work for

State Farm Insurance Agency and for a cute little tidbit.. met my

hubby online three years ago and he moved from England and married

me :)

My mom ( and two of her four sisters) have RA. Mom also has

Fibromyagia, she is 48 and I've watched her go through this for a

while now. Sometimes we all wondered if all the stuff was " in her

head " cus she is always just not quite well. I know now how she has

felt.

I went to the ER back in winter of 2000 with this aching wrist. It

was so bad, I thought I had broken it. Sore, swollen just terrible.

They couldn't find anything wrong, chalked it up to a virus in my

wrist and sent me home with vicodin after an IV of Rocefrin.

I have had terrible problems with my feet and knees from then on

pretty much. People attribute it to my weight, or the fact that I

injured my knee in High School and that the ACL is non-existant.

This past summer my shoulder started aching, I couldn't move it. It

was terrible, moved to my elbow.. then wrist. So I went to the ER..

told me it was tendonitis/bursitis sent me home again. Went to my

Doc where he took blood and also sent me for an EMG (Good God, noone

told me about THAT test *LOL*) got my blood work back and said that

my thyroid was a little " sluggish " and that the Rheumatoid factor

(whatever that was) was elevated also. Put me on a medrol dose pack,

then onto Indocin. The Medrol was a miracle. THe other just made my

stomach sick.

10 months later I am in terrible pain. I dont mean to whine, but

this is the worst. My hips, knees, feet, wrists, shoulders.. and my

hands are in constant pain. I have little bumps on my knuckles and

on my wrist. Went back to the Doc and she took blood again

(different Pys. Assistant) and made me an appointmetn for a week

later. Called me the next day asking me to come in. Umm talk about

scary. Went in and she told me " You are in some pain honey " D'uh!

LOL Seriously tho she showed me the results and they were

positive " very positive " in her words. (can anyone tell me what that

number means anyhow?) So , onto the dose pack again and to Celebrex

and Flexeril. Week three now, and its not changed. Ugh. I don't

want to give up on the Celebrex but its really not helping. I've

been taking a half of a pain pill to just be able to sleep at night.

She told me there is a once a week pill I can go on when I am back

from vacation (going to england next week) but it may give me an

upset stomach the first day. Anyone have a clue what that is?

On the plus side.. my hubby is Amazing! What a support he is. I kept

thinking he thought I was crazy. I really began to think I was.

I am usually the funniest gal you would know but lately its been

rough.

Does the weather affect this at all?

Anyhow I am sorry for posting my sob story and making it so long but

thanks again for all of you being here. Little did you know you were

helping me so much!

Missie Bird

Guest guest

Wow......so many of you are in similar positions in life!!!! I, too, am a registered nurse. (Has anyone else out there taken note as to how many in medical profession have autoimmune diseases? Seems I have met many other nurses with various similar conditions.) Luckily I got my B.S. degree early on, and was given many professional options considering my health issues. I've held positions in telephone advice, ambulatory clinic, and medical record review for the past 15 yrs.

I currently review medical records for fraud and quality for a health insurance company. My blessing is a daily reminder of seeing how many others are in far worse positions that I am, and that I'm surrounded with a peer group that offers a great distraction from my pain. I've made it a point to gently educate them so that they understand why I ask them to pick up heavier records and open my water bottles for me.

Luckily my boss's dad had RA. It makes for an incredibly supportive person who is willing to allow for my physical needs - flexible hours, telecommuting, etc. I'm currently on plaquenil, prednisone, and methotrexate. I have made it a point to take the mtx on Fridays in split doses, with the majority of the dose after work so that I don't have to worry about the side effects at work. (Mine mainly seem to be related to needing a bathroom close by.)

Reply-Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject: Re: Another newbie Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:47:36 -0600

Hi Missie, My name is Sherri-very soon to be 36 yo (on april 14th), and a Registered Nurse. I was diagnosed with RA in Nov on 2001 while rehabbing from a knee replacement. My RA factor came back at like 275 "severly positive" was the exact quote! Other than my knees, my worst joints are my fingers, wrists, and shoulders. I am on Enbrel and Bextra (prn) for the pain. Celebrex did not work for me plus, it upset my stomach, Vioxx-which worked for 4 yrs for kn knee pain, when it was only oesteoarthritis-did not work, and Bextra seems to be the only one to do a decent job. Unfortunately, a lot of these drugs can take anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks to build up a therputic level in your system. The Enbrel took 5-6 weeks for me to notice a difference. The weekly pill might be the Methotrexate weekly pill-whose name escapes me just now. I was on 12.5mg of MTX qweek, but quit-much to my MD"S chagrin-in hopes of getting preggers this year. I notice that when it gets cold and rainy, the pain is worse. I hope this has helped a bit..please take care and have a great time in England!!!! SHERRI ----- Original Message ----- From: Missie Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 9:14 PM Subject: Another newbie

Hi there guys.. I've been reading the group for a few weeks now, soon as I got my diagnosis and finally got around to joining tonight! People like "grandpavan" have been making me smile for a few weeks now and thought I'd like to intro myself and tell you a little about me! I'm Missie () 31 from Michigan. Married w/2 kids, work for State Farm Insurance Agency and for a cute little tidbit.. met my hubby online three years ago and he moved from England and married me :)

My mom ( and two of her four sisters) have RA. Mom also has Fibromyagia, she is 48 and I've watched her go through this for a while now. Sometimes we all wondered if all the stuff was "in her head" cus she is always just not quite well. I know now how she has felt.

I went to the ER back in winter of 2000 with this aching wrist. It was so bad, I thought I had broken it. Sore, swollen just terrible. They couldn't find anything wrong, chalked it up to a virus in my wrist and sent me home with vicodin after an IV of Rocefrin.

I have had terrible problems with my feet and knees from then on pretty much. People attribute it to my weight, or the fact that I injured my knee in High School and that the ACL is non-existant.

This past summer my shoulder started aching, I couldn't move it. It was terrible, moved to my elbow.. then wrist. So I went to the ER.. told me it was tendonitis/bursitis sent me home again. Went to my Doc where he took blood and also sent me for an EMG (Good God, noone told me about THAT test *LOL*) got my blood work back and said that my thyroid was a little "sluggish" and that the Rheumatoid factor (whatever that was) was elevated also. Put me on a medrol dose pack, then onto Indocin. The Medrol was a miracle. THe other just made my stomach sick.

10 months later I am in terrible pain. I dont mean to whine, but this is the worst. My hips, knees, feet, wrists, shoulders.. and my hands are in constant pain. I have little bumps on my knuckles and on my wrist. Went back to the Doc and she took blood again (different Pys. Assistant) and made me an appointmetn for a week later. Called me the next day asking me to come in. Umm talk about scary. Went in and she told me "You are in some pain honey" D'uh! LOL Seriously tho she showed me the results and they were positive "very positive" in her words. (can anyone tell me what that number means anyhow?) So , onto the dose pack again and to Celebrex and Flexeril. Week three now, and its not changed. Ugh. I don't want to give up on the Celebrex but its really not helping. I've been taking a half of a pain pill to just be able to sleep at night. She told me there is a once a week pill I can go on when I am back from vacation (going to england next week) but it may give me an upset stomach the first day. Anyone have a clue what that is?

On the plus side.. my hubby is Amazing! What a support he is. I kept thinking he thought I was crazy. I really began to think I was. I am usually the funniest gal you would know but lately its been rough. Does the weather affect this at all?

Anyhow I am sorry for posting my sob story and making it so long but thanks again for all of you being here. Little did you know you were helping me so much!

Missie Bird

Guest guest

Missie - First things first.....Please consider asking for a consult with a rheumatologist. Good luck to you! Sandy

Reply-Rheumatoid Arthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Another newbie Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 03:14:16 -0000

Hi there guys.. I've been reading the group for a few weeks now, soon as I got my diagnosis and finally got around to joining tonight! People like "grandpavan" have been making me smile for a few weeks now and thought I'd like to intro myself and tell you a little about me! I'm Missie () 31 from Michigan. Married w/2 kids, work for State Farm Insurance Agency and for a cute little tidbit.. met my hubby online three years ago and he moved from England and married me :)

My mom ( and two of her four sisters) have RA. Mom also has Fibromyagia, she is 48 and I've watched her go through this for a while now. Sometimes we all wondered if all the stuff was "in her head" cus she is always just not quite well. I know now how she has felt.

I went to the ER back in winter of 2000 with this aching wrist. It was so bad, I thought I had broken it. Sore, swollen just terrible. They couldn't find anything wrong, chalked it up to a virus in my wrist and sent me home with vicodin after an IV of Rocefrin.

I have had terrible problems with my feet and knees from then on pretty much. People attribute it to my weight, or the fact that I injured my knee in High School and that the ACL is non-existant.

This past summer my shoulder started aching, I couldn't move it. It was terrible, moved to my elbow.. then wrist. So I went to the ER.. told me it was tendonitis/bursitis sent me home again. Went to my Doc where he took blood and also sent me for an EMG (Good God, noone told me about THAT test *LOL*) got my blood work back and said that my thyroid was a little "sluggish" and that the Rheumatoid factor (whatever that was) was elevated also. Put me on a medrol dose pack, then onto Indocin. The Medrol was a miracle. THe other just made my stomach sick.

10 months later I am in terrible pain. I dont mean to whine, but this is the worst. My hips, knees, feet, wrists, shoulders.. and my hands are in constant pain. I have little bumps on my knuckles and on my wrist. Went back to the Doc and she took blood again (different Pys. Assistant) and made me an appointmetn for a week later. Called me the next day asking me to come in. Umm talk about scary. Went in and she told me "You are in some pain honey" D'uh! LOL Seriously tho she showed me the results and they were positive "very positive" in her words. (can anyone tell me what that number means anyhow?) So , onto the dose pack again and to Celebrex and Flexeril. Week three now, and its not changed. Ugh. I don't want to give up on the Celebrex but its really not helping. I've been taking a half of a pain pill to just be able to sleep at night. She told me there is a once a week pill I can go on when I am back from vacation (going to england next week) but it may give me an upset stomach the first day. Anyone have a clue what that is?

On the plus side.. my hubby is Amazing! What a support he is. I kept thinking he thought I was crazy. I really began to think I was. I am usually the funniest gal you would know but lately its been rough. Does the weather affect this at all?

Anyhow I am sorry for posting my sob story and making it so long but thanks again for all of you being here. Little did you know you were helping me so much!

Missie Bird

Guest guest

Welcome to the web site and condolonces on your RA. Don't apologize about the length of your post or for complaining. Anybody with RA understands and is sympathetic. The little snippets of personal information also make our cyber interactions seem a little more human and personal. It sounds like you've been having some symptoms that may be RA for a long time but just not diagnosed as such. The Medrol pack being so effective is a strong indication that you have an inflammatory disease such as RA. Medrol is a corticosteroid (I think it is like the more common Prednisone but slightly different) and for most people is good for what ails you but bad for just about everything else. When I was diagnosed in Dec. 2001 I was immediately put on 40 mg of Prednisone and I couldn't get down below 20 mg until a few months ago when Remicade finally started to work for me. (Arava and Methotrexate alone were worthless for me.) Now I am off Prednisone and hope to stay off it but if the pain or weakness starts to get too bad again I'll be right back on it. For your current situation (especially for your trip to England) I strongly recommend that you ask about getting some Prednisone to help the pain, stiffness, etc. Apparently the Medrol pack alone is not enough for you and you need more corticosteroid. You don't want to take more than is needed but you want to take enough to be able to function reasonably well. (Forget about functioning in a fully normal manner because that requires more medicine than is good for you.)

The once a week pill is probably Methotrexate that usually comes in a 2.5 mg size and is prescribed at up to about 25 mg a week, taken all at once (or at least within a 24 hour period). Most people start at about 7.5 mg for a few weeks to see if there are any serious side effects and then go up to 15 or 20 mg. Unfortunately most RA medicines take a long time to become effective, often 3 to 6 months. Also most RA medicines help about 3/4 of the people and do nothing for the rest. If you get Methotrexate ask about taking Folic Acid along with it. The Folic Acid reduces the effect Methotrexate can have on the liver. (There's no free lunch with medicines. Everything has some bad side effects at least in some people.)

The little bumps on your knuckles and wrists are probably rheumatoid nodules and from what I gather you might just as well get used to them because there is nothing that can be done for them. They can be removed surgically but they almost always come back.

You don't say what blood work was done but it sounds like the Rheumatoid Factor. I'm not sure what the normal range is (and it does vary from one laboratory to another) but I think anything over 100 is positive. Mine started out at 1922 and that's a pretty good indication of Rheumatoid Arthritis. About 10 to 20 percent of people with a positive RF don't have RA and about 25 to 35 percent of people with a normal RF do actually have RA (sometimes called seronegative RA).

I'm not a medical professional so make sure you check out whatever I say with your doctor. Good luck and God bless.

----- Original Message -----

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 7:14 PM

Subject: Another newbie

Hi there guys.. I've been reading the group for a few weeks now, soon as I got my diagnosis and finally got around to joining tonight! People like "grandpavan" have been making me smile for a few weeks now and thought I'd like to intro myself and tell you a little about me!I'm Missie () 31 from Michigan. Married w/2 kids, work for State Farm Insurance Agency and for a cute little tidbit.. met my hubby online three years ago and he moved from England and married me :) My mom ( and two of her four sisters) have RA. Mom also has Fibromyagia, she is 48 and I've watched her go through this for a while now. Sometimes we all wondered if all the stuff was "in her head" cus she is always just not quite well. I know now how she has felt. I went to the ER back in winter of 2000 with this aching wrist. It was so bad, I thought I had broken it. Sore, swollen just terrible. They couldn't find anything wrong, chalked it up to a virus in my wrist and sent me home with vicodin after an IV of Rocefrin. I have had terrible problems with my feet and knees from then on pretty much. People attribute it to my weight, or the fact that I injured my knee in High School and that the ACL is non-existant. This past summer my shoulder started aching, I couldn't move it. It was terrible, moved to my elbow.. then wrist. So I went to the ER.. told me it was tendonitis/bursitis sent me home again. Went to my Doc where he took blood and also sent me for an EMG (Good God, noone told me about THAT test *LOL*) got my blood work back and said that my thyroid was a little "sluggish" and that the Rheumatoid factor (whatever that was) was elevated also. Put me on a medrol dose pack, then onto Indocin. The Medrol was a miracle. THe other just made my stomach sick. 10 months later I am in terrible pain. I dont mean to whine, but this is the worst. My hips, knees, feet, wrists, shoulders.. and my hands are in constant pain. I have little bumps on my knuckles and on my wrist. Went back to the Doc and she took blood again (different Pys. Assistant) and made me an appointmetn for a week later. Called me the next day asking me to come in. Umm talk about scary. Went in and she told me "You are in some pain honey" D'uh! LOL Seriously tho she showed me the results and they were positive "very positive" in her words. (can anyone tell me what that number means anyhow?) So , onto the dose pack again and to Celebrex and Flexeril. Week three now, and its not changed. Ugh. I don't want to give up on the Celebrex but its really not helping. I've been taking a half of a pain pill to just be able to sleep at night. She told me there is a once a week pill I can go on when I am back from vacation (going to england next week) but it may give me an upset stomach the first day. Anyone have a clue what that is? On the plus side.. my hubby is Amazing! What a support he is. I kept thinking he thought I was crazy. I really began to think I was. I am usually the funniest gal you would know but lately its been rough. Does the weather affect this at all? Anyhow I am sorry for posting my sob story and making it so long but thanks again for all of you being here. Little did you know you were helping me so much!Missie Bird

Guest guest

The latest post on this thread reminds me of something else. I think RA is classed as a disability and the Americans with Disability Act applies. Your employer must make reasonable accommodations for your disability. Usually this can be done in a friendly way but it doesn't hurt to let them know it is legally required.

----- Original Message -----

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 4:40 PM

Subject: Re: Another newbie

Wow......so many of you are in similar positions in life!!!! I, too, am a registered nurse. (Has anyone else out there taken note as to how many in medical profession have autoimmune diseases? Seems I have met many other nurses with various similar conditions.) Luckily I got my B.S. degree early on, and was given many professional options considering my health issues. I've held positions in telephone advice, ambulatory clinic, and medical record review for the past 15 yrs.

I currently review medical records for fraud and quality for a health insurance company. My blessing is a daily reminder of seeing how many others are in far worse positions that I am, and that I'm surrounded with a peer group that offers a great distraction from my pain. I've made it a point to gently educate them so that they understand why I ask them to pick up heavier records and open my water bottles for me.

Luckily my boss's dad had RA. It makes for an incredibly supportive person who is willing to allow for my physical needs - flexible hours, telecommuting, etc. I'm currently on plaquenil, prednisone, and methotrexate. I have made it a point to take the mtx on Fridays in split doses, with the majority of the dose after work so that I don't have to worry about the side effects at work. (Mine mainly seem to be related to needing a bathroom close by.)

Reply-Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject: Re: Another newbie Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:47:36 -0600

Hi Missie, My name is Sherri-very soon to be 36 yo (on april 14th), and a Registered Nurse. I was diagnosed with RA in Nov on 2001 while rehabbing from a knee replacement. My RA factor came back at like 275 "severly positive" was the exact quote! Other than my knees, my worst joints are my fingers, wrists, and shoulders. I am on Enbrel and Bextra (prn) for the pain. Celebrex did not work for me plus, it upset my stomach, Vioxx-which worked for 4 yrs for kn knee pain, when it was only oesteoarthritis-did not work, and Bextra seems to be the only one to do a decent job. Unfortunately, a lot of these drugs can take anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks to build up a therputic level in your system. The Enbrel took 5-6 weeks for me to notice a difference. The weekly pill might be the Methotrexate weekly pill-whose name escapes me just now. I was on 12.5mg of MTX qweek, but quit-much to my MD"S chagrin-in hopes of getting preggers this year. I notice that when it gets cold and rainy, the pain is worse. I hope this has helped a bit..please take care and have a great time in England!!!! SHERRI ----- Original Message ----- From: Missie Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 9:14 PM Subject: Another newbie

Missie Bird

Guest guest

Go back to one of the doctors or find one who will listen and insist on xrays. I have recently been through this same scenario. When the xrays which were done in May were repeated in Sept. there is notable joint damage in my hand. Joint damage does not go back, try not to let that happen. My blood tests scream arthristis this month as opposed to May also. While I have had problem I asked the Dr about for a while before this year, in Feb it started with frequency that made me finally go to the orthopedist in May. He sucked and acted like I was imagining things so I went back to the Rhuem that I hadn't seen for four years. He is treating me but not rapidly enough to suite me. I think I have carpal tunnel also so I went to an orthopedist I had liked years ago. He confirmed that, but is concerned about how to treat what looks like multiple problems with my hands.

The one thing the Rhuem said right of the bat was, you didn't cause this, arthritis is hereditary. My mother had several relatives in wheel chairs with RA when they weren't much older than me. Bummer, I thought I had ducted that bullet.

in south FL

-----Original Message-----From: las61054 [mailto:las61054@...]Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 2:43 PMRheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Another NewbieGreetings to you all. Over the past 6 months I have been bounced from one doctor to another and still have not received a diagnosis. I've been to a GP who sent me to orthopedics, who then referred me to rheumatology. Both the GP and the orthopedic dr. ordered bloodwork, and results were normal. The rheumatologist that I saw back in May had an explanation for all of my symptoms, none of which were related to RA. She then told me if the swelling got worse to come back. I knew I was not going back to her unless I absolutely had to.I have been experiencing the following symptoms: swelling, pain, stiffness, and redness in joints (fingers, toes, now wrists and knees are involved). Mornings are the worst, however swelling can occur at anytime. My shoe size has gone up (from 6 1/2 to 7) and I had to get my wedding ring enlarged because it just would not fit anymore. I am a 49 year old wife, mom, and grandmother.My grandmother was diagnosed with RA at age 27. Her RA first presented as one swollen finger; symptoms were not symptomatic. Onset of my symptoms has also seemed to be more gradual than "normal". Though my last blood tests were within normal results, back in 1987 I had a positive test result for the RA titer and was told at that time, that I would probably develop RA when I was older as there was no such thing as a "false" positive with regard to RA.Has anyone here on this list also had a gradual worsening of symptoms? What is considered to be "normal" with regard to RA?Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.Regards,No. Virginia