RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Up all night....FL schools

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get it right..."not in the budget" Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go there......Lindy"Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS!" 1:9 "The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground."

Guest guest

Hi Lindy,

I'm hoping that this is a different county then where you are. Making me

nervous now. =( It's Orange County that I'll be moving to. I talked to one of

the Mom's from another list. I was trying to check on the schools for that

area. For the middle school program which my son would be in has a sensory

room, life skills lab-- which she said is 5 rooms. (living room, kitchen,

bedroom etc She said it is set up like a house.) Also tons of videos. I was

told that the autistic kids get to run the school store as part of their life

skills. Some get to handle the money, bag, stock shelves etc. The Mom said

that interns from UCF come to this school for their internship in the field of

Autism. The main teacher has a masters & has a child herself that is autistic.

It sounds like there is more than one teacher available for the grade level.

The kids go to school until age 22. There is I believe an Ese? on the PTA,

however I'm not familiar with those initials. I understood someone for the

special education. They also do stuff for special olympics. That's all I wrote

in my notes & that I can remember off the top of my head. What county are you

in???

I don't know how it compares to the district/county you live in. But compared

to mine here it sounds 100 times better!!!! My son's school doesn't have

anything set up for life skills except a small kitchen area. The kids here go

until their 21 not 22. There are really no options for other teachers. The put

all of the middle school kids in one class. I can't change teachers for him

here as there is no one else. I don't like these teachers & he doesn't either.

It's funny because the main teacher said he wasn't going to get away with stuff

like he did in elementary due to behavior. My Mom & I both forewarned them that

he will scratch his face up & it's really bad. It'll last for over a week. He

got mad one day & did it. They had to call my Mom since I was at work. They

both had never seen such a thing & they've been doing this for over 10yrs. I'm

hoping that this new school district will work out sooooooo much better for us.

Lori

>

> Hi Lori....What county in  Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My

county!  It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many

years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get

it right... " not in the budget " Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I

may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are

the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go

there......Lindy

>

> " Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS! "

1:9

>   " The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground. "

>

Guest guest

Lori,

If UFC CARD is involved in your child's educational program, you should be in good hands. We're in Daytona, so CARD doesn't get over to help us all that often. They mostly do consults with us over here. Kim Spence-Cochran and Klason are the BEST and most proactive CARD reps. They both have doctorates in autism, so I would request their help.

Sara

Hi Lindy,I'm hoping that this is a different county then where you are. Making me nervous now. =( It's Orange County that I'll be moving to. I talked to one of the Mom's from another list. I was trying to check on the schools for that area. For the middle school program which my son would be in has a sensory room, life skills lab-- which she said is 5 rooms. (living room, kitchen, bedroom etc She said it is set up like a house.) Also tons of videos. I was told that the autistic kids get to run the school store as part of their life skills. Some get to handle the money, bag, stock shelves etc. The Mom said that interns from UCF come to this school for their internship in the field of Autism. The main teacher has a masters & has a child herself that is autistic. It sounds like there is more than one teacher available for the grade level. The kids go to school until age 22. There is I believe an Ese? on the PTA, however I'm not familiar with those initials. I understood someone for the special education. They also do stuff for special olympics. That's all I wrote in my notes & that I can remember off the top of my head. What county are you in??? I don't know how it compares to the district/county you live in. But compared to mine here it sounds 100 times better!!!! My son's school doesn't have anything set up for life skills except a small kitchen area. The kids here go until their 21 not 22. There are really no options for other teachers. The put all of the middle school kids in one class. I can't change teachers for him here as there is no one else. I don't like these teachers & he doesn't either. It's funny because the main teacher said he wasn't going to get away with stuff like he did in elementary due to behavior. My Mom & I both forewarned them that he will scratch his face up & it's really bad. It'll last for over a week. He got mad one day & did it. They had to call my Mom since I was at work. They both had never seen such a thing & they've been doing this for over 10yrs. I'm hoping that this new school district will work out sooooooo much better for us.Lori>> Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get it right..."not in the budget" Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go there......Lindy> > "Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS!" 1:9> "The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground.">

Guest guest

Thanks Sara! I'm not familiar with CARD, so could you explain it for me?

Lori

> >

> > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My

county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many

years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get

it right... " not in the budget " Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I

may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are

the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go

there......Lindy

> >

> > " Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS! "

> > " The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground. "

> >

>

Guest guest

Just google UCF CARD Orlando Florida, and you can find their website. Everyone I know, who has an autistic child in Florida, is signed up for their services. It's free. CARD reps go into the schools, observe, make suggestions, etc. They do trainings for parents and teachers. It's a really nice service. When I had trouble potty training my two boys (moderate and severely autistic), they came to my house for a week and a half, until my boys were potty trained. It was amazing. I don't think it would have been possible to do it without their help.

Sara

Thanks Sara! I'm not familiar with CARD, so could you explain it for me? Lori> >> > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get it right..."not in the budget" Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go there......Lindy> > > > "Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS!" 1:9> > "The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground."> >>

Guest guest

Ok, I will do. I'm jealous! Nothing here like that. Maybe I can y fully

potty trained soon! 13 yrs old & still in pull ups & the school hasn't done

enough in my opinion...I will google them now.

Thanks so much!

Lori

> > >

> > > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in

My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going

many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't

get it right... " not in the budget " Seriously, which county, I really want to

know, I may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state,

chances are the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I

will go there......Lindy

> > >

> > > " Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS! "

> > > " The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground. "

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Wow Lori. I would get him signed up ASAP.

Sara

Ok, I will do. I'm jealous! Nothing here like that. Maybe I can y fully potty trained soon! 13 yrs old & still in pull ups & the school hasn't done enough in my opinion...I will google them now.Thanks so much!Lori> > >> > > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get it right..."not in the budget" Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go there......Lindy> > > > > > "Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS!" 1:9> > > "The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground."> > >> >>

Guest guest

Sara,

I've only taken a quick glimpse on their site. I'm completely thrilled as it

looks so promising. I will be calling as soon as I have my plane tickets so I

can get the ball rolling! I'm hoping that they can help resolve the potty

training issue & his scratching his face issue. Does FL have a program called

The Division of Developmental Disabilities? I'm having trouble finding them in

FL when trying to google. Here they provide $ for respite care (so I have a

babysitter), some money monthly, his medical coupon & his pullups. I'm guessing

it might be under another name? I've asked my case worker here & she is

useless. Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

Lori

> > > >

> > > > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in

My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going

many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't

will go there......Lindy

> > > >

> > > > " Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you

ALWAYS! " 1:9

> > > > " The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground. "

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Lori,

We have the Agency for Disabled Persons . I would get your son signed up as soon as possible. We've been on their wait list for over 4 years.

Sara

Sara,I've only taken a quick glimpse on their site. I'm completely thrilled as it looks so promising. I will be calling as soon as I have my plane tickets so I can get the ball rolling! I'm hoping that they can help resolve the potty training issue & his scratching his face issue. Does FL have a program called The Division of Developmental Disabilities? I'm having trouble finding them in FL when trying to google. Here they provide $ for respite care (so I have a babysitter), some money monthly, his medical coupon & his pullups. I'm guessing it might be under another name? I've asked my case worker here & she is useless. Any help would be very appreciated!Thanks!Lori> > > >> > > > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get it right..."not in the budget" Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go there......Lindy> > > > > > > > "Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS!" 1:9> > > > "The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground."> > > >> > >> >>

Guest guest

Sara,

I will look into it! Thanks for all of your help. I really really really

appreciate it!!!!!!!

Lori

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be

in My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going

will go there......Lindy

> > > > >

> > > > > " Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you

ALWAYS! " 1:9

> > > > > " The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground. "

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

What is a CARD rep? I have never heard of this. I wonder if we have this in Illinois?

Stacie

In a message dated 5/21/2009 6:18:06 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time, sarapoli@... writes:

Just google UCF CARD Orlando Florida, and you can find their website. Everyone I know, who has an autistic child in Florida, is signed up for their services. It's free. CARD reps go into the schools, observe, make suggestions, etc. They do trainings for parents and teachers. It's a really nice service. When I had trouble potty training my two boys (moderate and severely autistic), they came to my house for a week and a half, until my boys were potty trained. It was amazing. I don't think it would have been possible to do it without their help.

Sara

Thanks Sara! I'm not familiar with CARD, so could you explain it for me? Lori> >> > Hi Lori....What county in Florida are you moving to? It must NOT be in My county! It sounds like I should have moved my kids to where you are going many years ago. I have had nothing but battles for 15 years and they still can't get it right..."not in the budget" Seriously, which county, I really want to know, I may be moving too. If there is a good school system in this state, chances are the adult programs will also be worthwhile... and my son is 18. I will go there......Lindy> > > > "Do not fear nor be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you ALWAYS!" 1:9> > "The mighty oak was once a NUT that stood it's ground."> >>

Huge savings on HDTVs from Dell.com!

Guest guest

CARD is the Center for Autism and Related Disabilities. I believe it's sponsored by UCF (University of Central Florida).

Sara

Huge savings on HDTVs from Dell.com!