RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Introducing myself

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Beth,

Although I am extremely non-NT, I still have little confidence that I can discover anything about myself by studying AS, because there are still some details about AS which give me doubt. For example,AS is supposed to go more with good working memory and short-term memory, while my WM and STM are notoriously poor. My intellectual profile is almost exactly the opposite of the so-called "autistic savant". I don't expect AS to necessarily be like them, but not the extreme opposite either

Guest guest

Zylon wrote: " .... <snip> ... For example,AS is supposed to go

more with good working memory and short-term memory, while my WM

and STM are notoriously poor. My intellectual profile is almost

exactly the opposite of the so-called " autistic savant " . I don't

expect AS to necessarily be like them, but not the extreme opposite

either ... <snip> ... "

AS is part of the autism spectrum. It's called a spectrum for a

reason. The bell curve Aspie may have a good working memory and

short-term memory, and some may only have it for their perseverative

interests and yet others may not have a good working memory and

short-term memory at all. Some Aspies have autistic savant skills

and some do not. This is the nature of AS.

Zylon wrote: " ... <snip> ... But unlike AS, the cause of

Syndrome is known and precise ... <snip> ... "

Autism is a genetic neuroloogical recoding therefore the cause IS

known and precise. How it presents itself in each Aspie is what is

not so narrowly describable.

Zylon wrote: " ... <snip> ... I would like to find that I fit AS to

a tee. It would help with understanding and hope. But as of this

time, I still consider it only my grab-bag Dx. "

If you wish to fit an AS description to a tee and until then you

will be considering it a grabbag diagnosis, you will always hold

fast to the grabbag diagnosis.

As I said earlier, autism is a spectrum and AS is along that

spectrum. AS is not a POINT somewhere on the spectrum any more than

cities are merely dots on the highway even though they are portrayed

this way on maps.

Raven

Guest guest

Hello Everyone, especially Raven,

Raven wrote:>The bell curve Aspie may...(or)...may not have a good working

memory and

>short-term memory at all... This is the nature of AS.

Zylon: I was not refering to the bell curve, but rather the relative

proportion of (or constellation) of abilities. While AS working memory may

sometimes be poor, to have it extremely lower than the concepual level is

rare even in NTs, and must be a major part the Dx of whatever my condition

is. The entire autistic spectrum, as far as I have read, tends toward the

opposite constellation to varying degrees..

Raven wrote:>Autism is a genetic neuroloogical recoding therefore the cause

IS

>known and precise

Zylon: It is known to be genetic and related to brain structure, but,

unless new findings have come in, the exact genes involved are unknown, and

so is the exact relevant brain differences. ( In Downs syndrome and

syndrome there is an exact genetic definition). There have been some

autistic brain scans showing various anomalies, but they vary, and no

general rekation is known.

Although there is probably a most common cause for " inborn social problems " ,

NT-ism is very specific, and there must be endless varieties of brain

abomalies which would result in it. While I strongly identify with the

general " inborn social problems " , I do not particularly identify with any

of the specifics of AS or any other known Dx.

Zylon

Guest guest

Hi Nan It is a shock, but think positive.magicnan2005 <magicnan2005@...> wrote: Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. Nan

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Guest guest

Hi Nan, Well first, WELCOME to the group! I know its a shock, we all have had it when we were diagnosed.. but remember that this disease moves in decades typically and not in days or weeks or even months... What we advise everyone here is to start a file at home and get copies of all of you labs and biopsy's etc to keep there so if you have questions, perhaps we might be able to help you figure things out.. Now that you have had a pos hep c test, they will do another blood test to see what your viral load is and what genotype you have. Then most docs order a biopsy of your liver to see how much damage you have or dont have.. they will "stage "your damage.. Once you have all those tests done, you can then sit and make an informed decision about treatment. Most ppl (people) do treat with the Pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin and depending upon what genotype you have, the success rates are anywhere from

50-80%, something like that.. Genotype 1 and 4 are the hardest to treat and need treatment for at least 48 weeks, genotype 2 and 3 are a bit easier to treat and need at least 26 weeks of treatment. Treatment consists of a self administered shot of Interferon per week and a daily dose of Ribavirin divided into 2 doses 12 hours apart. Treatment can be hard but it IS doable.. Please feel free to ask any questions and we will all try to help you figure out the answer.. but remember that none of us here are doctors and your own doc should be your source of help. But we can help you formulate your questions to ask your doc when you see him if you dont understand what is happening. once again, welcome to the group.. I am redjax or jax or jackie.. Im one of the co-owners of the group and a moderator. I successfully treated my hep and recently did my blood test to see if I was still in remission, which I am.. I have been clear now 4

years since I finished treatment. I am genotype 1 and was overweight and female which are all factors that can make treatment less effective but I was lucky and reached SVR ( Sustained Viral Response) so you can do it too! I was a 911 paramedic for 15 years so I have 'some' medical background. Liz is one of the other co-owners and she does our research. She too was a paramedic and has not been as successful in treating. Janet is the original owner and founder of our group, she is a nurse and is currently re-treating , anne is our aussie momma who lives in Australia, she is a co-owner who does not have hep c but her partner did ( he passed away from this virus) and Doug is the other co-owner but we havent seen him in a long time. I think he is just really busy.. Well I will chat with you again,, take care! jaxmagicnan2005 <magicnan2005@...> wrote: Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. NanJackie

Guest guest

Hi Nan , nice to meet you ! Welcome to the group , I am one of the co owners here . I also do the research for the group . If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask .

introducing myself

Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. Nan

Guest guest

Hi and thank you for your welcome. I'm reading all the posts and must confess alot of this sounds greek to me. I need to learn this so am so glad you have this group. Presently I'm working on being grateful and praying instead of the negative victim junk. Nan elizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@...> wrote: Hi Nan , nice to meet you ! Welcome to the group , I am one of the co owners here . I also do the research for the group . If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask . introducing myself Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. Nan

Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.

Guest guest

You have the right attitude sweety , positive thinking is a major role in staying healthy . And don't worry within a week or two the greek will be understandable lol

introducing myself

Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. Nan

Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.

Guest guest

You have the right attitude sweety , positive thinking is a major role in staying healthy . And don't worry within a week or two the greek will be understandable lol

introducing myself

Guest guest

good luck on your knee replacement hon,, dont worry about the needle stick, it really doesnt hurt at all,, jax Pike <magicnan2005@...> wrote: Thanks george. I can't believe I'm going to have to stick myself with a

needle. yuky. Oh well. One day at a time.. I have knee replacement coming up to. I'm gonna be a hurtin puppy for a bit. Nan Gray <ggray1956 > wrote: Hi Nan It is a shock, but think positive.magicnan2005 <magicnan2005 > wrote: Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm

pretty sure people can identify with. Nan Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains. Jackie

Guest guest

well nancy, if you get your knee replacement done and you can start just walking or swiming, you could lose some weight before you start treatment.. usually there is no rush, but thats why you need to have that biopsy so you can see how much damage you do or do not have,, you could wait for awhile,, jax Pike <magicnan2005@...> wrote: WOW I'm overweight. I haven't been able to exercise as I'm having a knee replacement next mo. INJECT myself OMG.ohhhhhhhh.This bites. I'm getting my 2nd blood test next week. Thank you for your support. Nan Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: Hi Nan, Well first, WELCOME to the group! I know its a shock, we all have had it when we were diagnosed.. but remember that this disease moves in decades typically and not in days or weeks or even months... What we

advise everyone here is to start a file at home and get copies of all of you labs and biopsy's etc to keep there so if you have questions, perhaps we might be able to help you figure things out.. Now that you have had a pos hep c test, they will do another blood test to see what your viral load is and what genotype you have. Then most docs order a biopsy of your liver to see how much damage you have or dont have.. they will "stage "your damage.. Once you have all those tests done, you can then sit and make an informed decision about treatment. Most ppl (people) do treat with the Pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin and depending upon what genotype you have, the success rates are anywhere from 50-80%, something like that.. Genotype 1 and 4 are the hardest to treat and need treatment for at least 48 weeks, genotype 2 and 3 are a bit easier to treat and need at least 26 weeks of treatment. Treatment consists of a self administered shot of

Interferon per week and a daily dose of Ribavirin divided into 2 doses 12 hours apart. Treatment can be hard but it IS doable.. Please feel free to ask any questions and we will all try to help you figure out the answer.. but remember that none of us here are doctors and your own doc should be your source of help. But we can help you formulate your questions to ask your doc when you see him if you dont understand what is happening. once again, welcome to the group.. I am redjax or jax or jackie.. Im one of the co-owners of the group and a moderator. I successfully treated my hep and recently did my blood test to see if I was still in remission, which I am.. I have been clear now 4 years since I finished treatment. I am genotype 1 and was overweight and female which are all factors that can make treatment less effective but I was lucky and reached SVR ( Sustained Viral Response) so you can do it too! I was a 911

paramedic for 15 years so I have 'some' medical background. Liz is one of the other co-owners and she does our research. She too was a paramedic and has not been as successful in treating. Janet is the original owner and founder of our group, she is a nurse and is currently re-treating , anne is our aussie momma who lives in Australia, she is a co-owner who does not have hep c but her partner did ( he passed away from this virus) and Doug is the other co-owner but we havent seen him in a long time. I think he is just really busy.. Well I will chat with you again,, take care! jaxmagicnan2005 <magicnan2005 > wrote: Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it

sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. NanJackie TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV. Jackie

Guest guest

Thank you and this sounds logical. I know this is gonna sound wierd but let me tell you how I suspected something might even be wrong. I was supposed to have the knee replacement may 5 and 1 week before doctors office called and wanted 400 co payment before he'd do the surgery. NOW 1 week before that call I had a dream and I was on my stomach on a gurney and 4 tube were coming out of me and one of them wasn't working right on my lower left back. Then about 3 weeks ago got the results. lol wierd huh. I thought it was a stress dream

but now I think I knew on some leval something wasn't right. I go for my 2nd blood test Monday. So I'll find out more. I do like reading articles people are posting. NanJackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote: well nancy, if you get your knee replacement done and you can start just walking or swiming, you could lose some weight before you start treatment.. usually there is no rush, but thats why you need to have that biopsy so you can see how much damage you do or do not have,, you could wait for awhile,, jax Pike <magicnan2005 > wrote: WOW I'm overweight. I haven't been able to exercise as I'm having a knee replacement next mo. INJECT myself OMG.ohhhhhhhh.This bites. I'm getting my 2nd blood test next week. Thank you for your support. Nan Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: Hi Nan, Well first, WELCOME to the group! I know its a shock, we all have had it when we were diagnosed.. but remember that this disease moves in decades typically and not in days or weeks or even months... What we advise everyone here is to start a file at home and get copies of all of you labs and biopsy's etc to keep there so if you have questions, perhaps we might be able to help you figure things out.. Now that you have had a pos hep c test, they will do another blood test to see what your viral load is and what genotype you have. Then most docs order a biopsy of your liver to see how much damage you have or dont have.. they will "stage "your damage.. Once you have all those tests done, you can then sit and make an informed decision about treatment. Most ppl (people) do treat with the

Pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin and depending upon what genotype you have, the success rates are anywhere from 50-80%, something like that.. Genotype 1 and 4 are the hardest to treat and need treatment for at least 48 weeks, genotype 2 and 3 are a bit easier to treat and need at least 26 weeks of treatment. Treatment consists of a self administered shot of Interferon per week and a daily dose of Ribavirin divided into 2 doses 12 hours apart. Treatment can be hard but it IS doable.. Please feel free to ask any questions and we will all try to help you figure out the answer.. but remember that none of us here are doctors and your own doc should be your source of help. But we can help you formulate your questions to ask your doc when you see him if you dont understand what is happening. once again, welcome to the group.. I am redjax or jax or jackie.. Im one of the co-owners of the group and a moderator. I successfully

treated my hep and recently did my blood test to see if I was still in remission, which I am.. I have been clear now 4 years since I finished treatment. I am genotype 1 and was overweight and female which are all factors that can make treatment less effective but I was lucky and reached SVR ( Sustained Viral Response) so you can do it too! I was a 911 paramedic for 15 years so I have 'some' medical background. Liz is one of the other co-owners and she does our research. She too was a paramedic and has not been as successful in treating. Janet is the original owner and founder of our group, she is a nurse and is currently re-treating , anne is our aussie momma who lives in Australia, she is a co-owner who does not have hep c but her partner did ( he passed away from this virus) and Doug is the other co-owner but we havent seen him in a long time. I think he is just really busy.. Well I will chat with you again,,

take care! jaxmagicnan2005 <magicnan2005 > wrote: Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. NanJackie TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV. Jackie

Guest guest

Thank you and this sounds logical. I know this is gonna sound wierd but let me tell you how I suspected something might even be wrong. I was supposed to have the knee replacement may 5 and 1 week before doctors office called and wanted 400 co payment before he'd do the surgery. NOW 1 week before that call I had a dream and I was on my stomach on a gurney and 4 tube were coming out of me and one of them wasn't working right on my lower left back. Then about 3 weeks ago got the results. lol wierd huh. I thought it was a stress dream

but now I think I knew on some leval something wasn't right. I go for my 2nd blood test Monday. So I'll find out more. I do like reading articles people are posting. NanJackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote: well nancy, if you get your knee replacement done and you can start just walking or swiming, you could lose some weight before you start treatment.. usually there is no rush, but thats why you need to have that biopsy so you can see how much damage you do or do not have,, you could wait for awhile,, jax Pike <magicnan2005 > wrote: WOW I'm overweight. I haven't been able to exercise as I'm having a knee replacement next mo. INJECT myself OMG.ohhhhhhhh.This bites. I'm getting my 2nd blood test next week. Thank you for your support. Nan Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: Hi Nan, Well first, WELCOME to the group! I know its a shock, we all have had it when we were diagnosed.. but remember that this disease moves in decades typically and not in days or weeks or even months... What we advise everyone here is to start a file at home and get copies of all of you labs and biopsy's etc to keep there so if you have questions, perhaps we might be able to help you figure things out.. Now that you have had a pos hep c test, they will do another blood test to see what your viral load is and what genotype you have. Then most docs order a biopsy of your liver to see how much damage you have or dont have.. they will "stage "your damage.. Once you have all those tests done, you can then sit and make an informed decision about treatment. Most ppl (people) do treat with the

Pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin and depending upon what genotype you have, the success rates are anywhere from 50-80%, something like that.. Genotype 1 and 4 are the hardest to treat and need treatment for at least 48 weeks, genotype 2 and 3 are a bit easier to treat and need at least 26 weeks of treatment. Treatment consists of a self administered shot of Interferon per week and a daily dose of Ribavirin divided into 2 doses 12 hours apart. Treatment can be hard but it IS doable.. Please feel free to ask any questions and we will all try to help you figure out the answer.. but remember that none of us here are doctors and your own doc should be your source of help. But we can help you formulate your questions to ask your doc when you see him if you dont understand what is happening. once again, welcome to the group.. I am redjax or jax or jackie.. Im one of the co-owners of the group and a moderator. I successfully

treated my hep and recently did my blood test to see if I was still in remission, which I am.. I have been clear now 4 years since I finished treatment. I am genotype 1 and was overweight and female which are all factors that can make treatment less effective but I was lucky and reached SVR ( Sustained Viral Response) so you can do it too! I was a 911 paramedic for 15 years so I have 'some' medical background. Liz is one of the other co-owners and she does our research. She too was a paramedic and has not been as successful in treating. Janet is the original owner and founder of our group, she is a nurse and is currently re-treating , anne is our aussie momma who lives in Australia, she is a co-owner who does not have hep c but her partner did ( he passed away from this virus) and Doug is the other co-owner but we havent seen him in a long time. I think he is just really busy.. Well I will chat with you again,,

take care! jaxmagicnan2005 <magicnan2005 > wrote: Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with. NanJackie TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV. Jackie

Guest guest

Hi Well sometimes we have 'intuitive' feelings and I have learned always to trust my guts so to speak.. hopefully you wont have much damage so you can take as long as you need to get everything else in order before you start tx if you decide to treat.. that would be the best! jax Pike <magicnan2005@...> wrote: Thank you and this sounds logical. I know this is gonna sound wierd but let me tell you how I suspected something might even be wrong. I was supposed to have the knee replacement may 5 and 1 week before doctors office called and wanted 400 co payment before he'd do the surgery. NOW 1 week before that call I had a dream and I was on my stomach on a gurney and 4 tube were coming out of me and one of them wasn't working right on my lower left back. Then about 3 weeks ago got the results. lol wierd huh. I thought it was a stress dream but now I think I knew on some leval something wasn't right. I go for my 2nd blood test Monday. So I'll find out more. I do like reading articles people

are posting. NanJackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: well nancy, if you get your knee replacement done and you can start just walking or swiming, you could lose some weight before you start treatment.. usually there is no rush, but thats why you need to have that biopsy so you can see how much damage you do or do not have,, you could wait for awhile,, jax Pike <magicnan2005 > wrote: WOW I'm overweight. I haven't been able to exercise as I'm having a knee replacement next mo. INJECT myself OMG.ohhhhhhhh.This bites. I'm getting my 2nd blood test next week. Thank you for your support. Nan Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: Hi Nan, Well first, WELCOME to the group! I know its a shock, we all have had it when we were diagnosed.. but remember that this disease moves in decades typically and not in days or weeks or even months... What we advise everyone here is to start a file at home and get copies of all of you labs and biopsy's

etc to keep there so if you have questions, perhaps we might be able to help you figure things out.. Now that you have had a pos hep c test, they will do another blood test to see what your viral load is and what genotype you have. Then most docs order a biopsy of your liver to see how much damage you have or dont have.. they will "stage "your damage.. Once you have all those tests done, you can then sit and make an informed decision about treatment. Most ppl (people) do treat with the Pegylated Interferon and Ribavirin and depending upon what genotype you have, the success rates are anywhere from 50-80%, something like that.. Genotype 1 and 4 are the hardest to treat and need treatment for at least 48 weeks, genotype 2 and 3 are a bit easier to treat and need at least 26 weeks of treatment. Treatment consists of a self administered shot of Interferon per week and a daily dose of Ribavirin divided into 2 doses 12 hours apart.

Treatment can be hard but it IS doable.. Please feel free to ask any questions and we will all try to help you figure out the answer.. but remember that none of us here are doctors and your own doc should be your source of help. But we can help you formulate your questions to ask your doc when you see him if you dont understand what is happening. once again, welcome to the group.. I am redjax or jax or jackie.. Im one of the co-owners of the group and a moderator. I successfully treated my hep and recently did my blood test to see if I was still in remission, which I am.. I have been clear now 4 years since I finished treatment. I am genotype 1 and was overweight and female which are all factors that can make treatment less effective but I was lucky and reached SVR ( Sustained Viral Response) so you can do it too! I was a 911 paramedic for 15 years so I have 'some' medical background. Liz is one of the other

co-owners and she does our research. She too was a paramedic and has not been as successful in treating. Janet is the original owner and founder of our group, she is a nurse and is currently re-treating , anne is our aussie momma who lives in Australia, she is a co-owner who does not have hep c but her partner did ( he passed away from this virus) and Doug is the other co-owner but we havent seen him in a long time. I think he is just really busy.. Well I will chat with you again,, take care! jaxmagicnan2005 <magicnan2005 > wrote: Hi I joined this group yesterday as I found 2 weeks ago I have hep c. They're going to do anouther blood test on me to see where I'm at. it sure is a shock finding out as I'm pretty sure people can identify with.

NanJackie TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV. Jackie Get the free toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection. Jackie

Guest guest

Hi,

I just wanted to say, " Welcome to the group! " This is a wonderful place for

support. Everyone here tries to help everyone through their different

situations.

I have a son(6) who has a " telling " obsession " , among dozens of other things he

does.I also have a dd(11) that has OCD , Bipolar and PDD-NOS.

It's not easy, as you know, and I wish you luck!

Hugs

Judy

Guest guest

Welcome. Yes, it is different when it is your own. It hits home and

affects everyone in the family. You will find many here who can

relate to that.

Does your son see a qualified therapist? And/or a psychiatrist who

understands OCD? Changing meds can be so hard, but some in here have

had really good results by trying a different med. We have been

reluctant to do that ourselves though. Trying to decide if there is

enough benefit to outweigh the bad side effects can be hard. But, it

is also hard when the meds aren't working. <sigh> There are no easy

choices with OCD

This is a great place to share information and get support. Glad you

are here.

BJ

>

> Hi. I have a 16 year old son with OCD. When he was young, I thought

> it was Asperger's Syndrome. I guess I really started noticing it

> early, before he could even talk. He was enthralled with any toy

> that spun, and only those that spun. When he started talking, he

> would insist that anytime he asked a question, it was answered

> exactly the order he had asked it, in a complete sentence. Through

> the years he would go in phases, and through it all, I thought it was

> Asperger's. He was diagnosed with OCD when he was 13, and has been

> on Meds since. He uses Prozac, and it does alleviate some of the

> symptoms. His OCD does go in waves, and at times can be devastating

> and almost unbearable for him, and for us. His obsessions have also

> gone in waves, but mostly he has morality issues. For the past 4

> months it has been bad. He refuses to increase his meds( partly due

> to the fact that we did increase them about a year and a half ago and

> it did increase his aggression). There are times that nothing will

> console him, and he gets into fits of panic. He recently started

> going to a new therapist that I am hoping will help him learn how to

> help himself with his obsessions. Both my mother and I are always

> there for him, and fortunately, one of his compulsions is telling.

> He tells us everything, so we are able to talk with him about what he

> is going through. I would like to try new meds on him, because I

> don't think that the Prozac is the answer for him, he has many mood

> swings on it, however, I am terrified of trying a new med, and having

> him sink into a severe deperession. I am a high school teacher, and

> no stranger to dealing with special needs kids, but it's definately

> different when it's your own!!!!

>

Guest guest

Hi, I have a son who'll be 19 this month and has OCD and Aspergers

diagnoses. His OCD hit at the start of 6th grade (though he had

tendencies/quirks before that) and he got the HFA/Aspergers

diagnosis in 8th grade (I had suspected for a while).

His OCD has changed over the years. Your " morality " comment grabbed

my interest. My son has scrupulosity (religious) type " bad

thoughts " now, but he also has always been one who is honest, things

can be too black/white for him (no gray, that type thing). He is

refusing medication now, though he was on Celexa in 9th and 10th

grades. Unlike your son, my son won't go into detail about his

thoughts. He does talk to his therapist about them though.

Celexa is the only medication he's tried. But I do know, as you do,

that the same medication affects each person differently. I can see

how you would hesitate to try changing from Prozac if it's helping

some, hate to rock the boat more if the next med didn't help at all

or had undesired effects. At 16, I guess your son will have to make

the final choice (at least at that age, couldn't talk any of my sons

into anything or command them to do something, such as medication -

3 sons! other 2 are probably ADD but no diagnoses).

Welcome to the group!

>

> Hi. I have a 16 year old son with OCD. When he was young, I

thought

> exactly the order he had asked it, in a complete sentence.

Guest guest

Hi there and welcome to the group.

My son is also 16. It is a fun age isn't it? I keep hoping when we

get through the teen years and hormones settle down, things, and the

ocd will get easier, time will tell...

It must be challenging to have him " tell " you his obsessions

constantly. Our challenge is that our son does not want to talk, at

least not about the ocd, but think it would be exhausting to hear

about all the time.

Understand your hesitancy about medication change. Our son also does

not want to make changes because of reactions/side effects. Also

experienced increase in aggression with increase in med. Our son is

on a mood stabilizer which has helped somewhat with anger, as well as

20mg of celexa. It seems many have good success with atypicals in

controlling aggressive stuff, that has not been the case for us.

Hopefully your new doctor will have some ideas. It really is

critical to sort out meds so they can participate in CBT, but is

often not easy is it?

Welcome again.

Barb

>

thought

> the years he would go in phases, and through it all, I thought it

was

> symptoms. His OCD does go in waves, and at times can be

devastating

> and almost unbearable for him, and for us. His obsessions have

also

> months it has been bad. He refuses to increase his meds( partly

due

> to the fact that we did increase them about a year and a half ago

and

> going to a new therapist that I am hoping will help him learn how

to

> He tells us everything, so we are able to talk with him about what

he

> swings on it, however, I am terrified of trying a new med, and

having

> him sink into a severe deperession. I am a high school teacher,

and

>

Guest guest

Thanks! Sometimes it's challenging to have him tell me, but sometimes I'm glad

that at least he does tell me, and that I know what he is going through. This

year has been hard. He is struggling in school, making the switch from jr. high

to high school, and is failing 2 classes. As a teacher that seems like a hard

thing to accept, and on the one hand, I get frustrated and angry when I know he

is not doing what he needs to do to be successful. On the other hand, there are

days when I'm more worried about whether or not I'm going to have to have him

hositalized, and the homework and grades seem menial. There are days when I get

so afraid of his reactions that I think, " this is it, I have to take him to get

some inpatient treatment. " We work through it, and truely, Thank God for my

mother, but I get exhausted from it, and I know he does too. This year has by

far been the hardest, I'm hoping, like you, that the hormones settle down, and

he does too. Most of his

teacher's aren't very good about communicating with me, even with his 504, so I

really appreciate the ones who are. Having a child with special needs makes me

more sensitive to students with special needs as a teacher, but at times I feel

like I have many full time jobs, Teacher, Mom, Counselor, and Wife. Any way,

Thanks for the welcome!!!

nne

barb <barbnesrallah@...> wrote:

Hi there and welcome to the group.

My son is also 16. It is a fun age isn't it? I keep hoping when we

get through the teen years and hormones settle down, things, and the

ocd will get easier, time will tell...

It must be challenging to have him " tell " you his obsessions

constantly. Our challenge is that our son does not want to talk, at

least not about the ocd, but think it would be exhausting to hear

about all the time.

Understand your hesitancy about medication change. Our son also does

not want to make changes because of reactions/side effects. Also

experienced increase in aggression with increase in med. Our son is

on a mood stabilizer which has helped somewhat with anger, as well as

20mg of celexa. It seems many have good success with atypicals in

controlling aggressive stuff, that has not been the case for us.

Hopefully your new doctor will have some ideas. It really is

critical to sort out meds so they can participate in CBT, but is

often not easy is it?

Welcome again.

Barb

>

thought

> the years he would go in phases, and through it all, I thought it

was

> symptoms. His OCD does go in waves, and at times can be

devastating

> and almost unbearable for him, and for us. His obsessions have

also

> months it has been bad. He refuses to increase his meds( partly

due

> to the fact that we did increase them about a year and a half ago

and

> going to a new therapist that I am hoping will help him learn how

to

> He tells us everything, so we are able to talk with him about what

he

> swings on it, however, I am terrified of trying a new med, and

having

> him sink into a severe deperession. I am a high school teacher,

and

>

---------------------------------

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Guest guest

Lanz;

Sounds like a page out of my book! The joint and muscle aches have become a real

management problem - as has the fatigue. I've done - testosterone, Provigil, and

Bipap. My dentist got the oral appliance stuck in my mouth, and honestly, that

is tough way to sleep while combating the apnea.

I'm hearing more HIV poz people complaining about the fatigue / apnea, and an

array of orthopedic problems related to joint / muscles. The stories about bad

backs are mounting. I've noticed that these symptoms tend to exacerbate and

remit in clusters. Last year, when I was hit with the joint stuff the worst, I

was suddenly diagnosed with rosacea coincidentally.

My virus is well-controlled and undetectable on Viramune and Epzicom. My liver

and kidney numbers go up and down like a sine wave.

I really feel that these are inflammatory events possible auto-immune reactions

related to viral suppression. i also feel that the neuropathy presents in ways

not yet well documented or charted. For instance, I get horrible toothaches with

my neuropathy sometimes. My dental care is pretty good, but like most people my

age, I have some gum recession where the nerve roots are a little exposed.

My healthcare professionals don't seem to get the connections or seem to care.

these symptoms and side-effects haven't been studied well enough, in my opinion.

Of course, this is all anecdotal right now, but where there is smoke, there is

fire.

So, next week another MRI of my spine so we can search for my disappearing

intervertebral discs.

Argggh!

Lanz, your e mail was obviously well-timed. if you find a solution, please

share. Thanks for the posting and - welcome!

Sanford

Sanford M. Gross, OD, FAAO

Associate Professor

Illinois College of Optometry

3241 South Michigan Ave

Chicago, Illinois 60616

>>> " lanzlowen " <lanzlowen@...> 11/18/2008 2:18 AM >>>

Just joined, referred by my good friend, Jim in South Beach. Have

been HIV+ since March '81 (part of long-term survivors study).

Avoided meds until '97 and have done well on the cocktail without

problems other than lipo. Since I'm still working full-time, I've

tried to manage the fatigue over the years. Testosterone took away

my fatigue for about 3 years; Welbutrin for another 3 years; Provigil

for 2 years and now trying Adderall (I was unbearable on straight

Ritalin). The CPAP machine for sleep apnea helped alot too.

Still trying to find the right dose of Adderall and having

muscle/joint aches which are much worse if I don't take the Adderal.

Am finally getting to see a neurologist (my doctor thinks it's

related to neuropathy) on Wednesday. So if anyone knows about

Adderall or muscle/joint aches as part of a long-term effect of HIV,

I'm all ears.

Beyond my HIV symptoms. :) I live in Oakland, CA with my partner of

33 years. I'm originally from Lauderdale. I do organization

consulting and leadership coaching for a living. And, in an effort

to become deeply shallow, I DJ and flag and spin fire. Also my

partner and I are conducting a study of long-term couples who aren't

monogamous. (140 interviews done; 60 more to recruit and complete).

and all, thanks for all your work creating and keeping this up.

Lanz Lowen

--- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---

BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:2.1

X-GWTYPE:USER

FN:Gross, Sanford

EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:SGross@...

N:Gross;Sanford

TEL;WORK:x7314

ORG:;Primary Care

END:VCARD

Guest guest

Hi, Sanford. Your experience sure belies the notion that HIV is a "manageable disease". We manage to stay alive and sometimes in pretty good condition, but it is an ongoing struggle, and many physicians are ill-equipped to deal with the complexity of this bug and its side effects.

Regarding your sleep apnea: The oral fixture is no picnic, but it does seem to work for me. I have generally very good energy and wake up around 6 AM rather than noon as I did when the apnea was untreated (and undiagnosed). After a solid attempt to get Medicare to pay for 80% of the cost, the claim was rejected. Maybe such resistance to effective treatment like this will decline under President Obama. Maybe.

I read online about a device that pulls the tongue forward a bit, with the same claimed benefit (prevents the airways from collapsing), but the company that makes it will only sell it to dentists. I am out of the country for a bit and don't have the information with me. I'll pass it on when I get home in mid-December. The device costs about $80, so if it works it's a bargain!

There is a very low cost version ($60) of the $1,300 custom oral appliance. It is sold by PureSleep (www.puresleep.com )1-866-879-3777 M-Fr 0830 - 2200 (EST). I am going to purchase one and try it out. For now, with no information other than the company's on line materials, I can't say anything about the effectiveness of the device. Caveat emptor, as usual.

Jerome

In a message dated 11/20/2008 22:23:38 SE Asia Standard Time, SGross@... writes:

My dentist got the oral appliance stuck in my mouth, and honestly, that is tough way to sleep while combating the apnea.One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!

Guest guest

hi-

i have been reading with interest the posts regarding the muscle pain and joint aches related to HIV. I have been HIV+ for 20 years and recently have been suffering from severe back pain and musche/joint pain since I started a new regimen (including Isentress) in March 2008. I have had Xrays, Catscan that revealed 20% bone compression fracture. I am seeing dr tomorrow and plan to ask him about an MRI for soft tissue check (ligaments, fascia, muscle, etc).

I have used percocet on occasion, but mostly rely on ALEVE and/or IBUPROFEN with muscle relaxers but would love to find a more permanent solution. Any thoughts or comments or shared experiences are most welcomeOne site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!

Guest guest

Welcome to the group, Pam. I also listen to IOWL while cleaning house.

:-) Makes it much more enjoyable!

Bev

Guest guest

Welcome to the group, Pam. I also listen to IOWL while cleaning house.

:-) Makes it much more enjoyable!

Bev

Guest guest

Hi Sharon-Lee! Welcome to IOWL! As you progress through the podcast you are

going to be amazed at how easy it is to achieve and maintain a sensible weight

for yourself. Keep listening and stay in touch with this group.

Jean

Subject: Introducing myself

weightloss

Date: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 8:20 PM

Hi my name is Sharon-Lee and I have struggled with my weight

since having my first child at 21. This is when my challanges started and I

guess I have never truely learnt to manage my feeling and turned to food as a

comfort. Two days after my daughter was born we found out that she had a broken

collarbone (due to a difficult birth) and my husband went into hospital. Three

weeks later we found out that he had Cancer. Eight months later he was gone. I

never regained my pre-pregnancey weight (55kg) and stayed around the 69 kg until

around Febraury 2002 when I reached 61kg. My insentive was to marry my dear

friend with whom I had gone to school with and had been seeing for the past 4

and a half years. We now have 2 beautiful girls together and life is great but i

always seem to be on a the dieting cycle trying to lose weight. I managed to

lose 3kg earlier this year and keep it off but I still really need to lose

around 15-20kg. My daughter

found the weightloss podcasts and at this stage have only listened to

the first two but have found them to be extremely interesting and challanging.

Motivation has been my downfall many a time and I am now mentally and physically

ready to conquer it.

I am hoping to gain more prospective and knowledge through the use of this

forum.