RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Can you believe it?Resperdal.........

Rate this topic

Guest guest

They don't mention that long term use can cause tardis dyskenisia or incontinence.Pat K

Guest guest

They don't mention that long term use can cause tardis dyskenisia or incontinence.Pat K

Guest guest

Whoa......... of course, just another pill.....what does everyone else think? Aprillois noland <jlois@...> wrote: http://news./s/nm/20061006/hl_nm/jnj_risperdal_dc_3 Lois Noland 240-420-3692Always in search for the "cure" Lois Noland240-420-3692I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take no for an answerAlways looking for the "Cure" I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take NO for an answer. If God Brings you to it,He will Bring you though it.

Guest guest

Whoa......... of course, just another pill.....what does everyone else think? Aprillois noland <jlois@...> wrote: http://news./s/nm/20061006/hl_nm/jnj_risperdal_dc_3 Lois Noland 240-420-3692Always in search for the "cure" Lois Noland240-420-3692I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take no for an answerAlways looking for the "Cure" I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take NO for an answer. If God Brings you to it,He will Bring you though it.

Guest guest

Guest guest

What does it matter? Risperdal has been used for years for autistic children. There is no specific pill for autism. You use meds that treat the symptoms. And even then you use some things for medical conditions that they aren't labeled for.

Elaine

On 10/7/06, April aka Gypsycatwoman <gypsycatwoman@...> wrote:

Whoa......... of course, just another pill.....what does everyone else think?

Aprillois noland <jlois@...> wrote:

http://news./s/nm/20061006/hl_nm/jnj_risperdal_dc_3

Lois Noland 240-420-3692Always in search for the " cure "

Lois Noland240-420-3692I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take no for an answerAlways looking for the " Cure "

I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take NO for an answer.

If God Brings you to it,He will Bring you though it.

Guest guest

What does it matter? Risperdal has been used for years for autistic children. There is no specific pill for autism. You use meds that treat the symptoms. And even then you use some things for medical conditions that they aren't labeled for.

Elaine

Lois Noland240-420-3692I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take no for an answerAlways looking for the " Cure "

Guest guest

Elaine

Guest guest

True! But they all have side effects. All of them. Sometimes you have no choice,yk?

Elaine

On 10/7/06, pkuenstler@... <pkuenstler@...> wrote:

Guest guest

True! But they all have side effects. All of them. Sometimes you have no choice,yk?

Elaine

On 10/7/06, pkuenstler@... <pkuenstler@...> wrote:

Guest guest

My son has been on it for almost 1 year. It like all other drugs

have side effects the weight gain is the worst. My 5 year old is

over 100 pounds...they have tested everything under the sun but all

agree it's due to the medication. Now for tantrums and such it does

help but, it doesn't stop em in some not all cases it lessens the

intensity. My son still tantrums still is agressive etc. but is

better then prior to the meds...BT has helped a ton and we have been

able to back the doses down. Also as a side note this medication

affects the liver and requires liver tests every 6 months to 1 year.

All in all I believe the drug has helped but like no one thing it

wasn't our magic bullet. I hope it's someone's out there though.

>

>

>

>

> http://news./s/nm/20061006/hl_nm/jnj_risperdal_dc_3

>

> Lois Noland 240-420-3692

> Always in search for the " cure "

>

>

>

>

> Lois Noland

> 240-420-3692

> I don't give in

> I don't give up

> And I don't take no for an answer

> Always looking for the " Cure "

>

>

>

>

>

> I don't give in

> I don't give up

> And I don't take NO for an answer.

>

> If God Brings you to it,

> He will Bring you though it.

>

Guest guest

My son has been on it for almost 1 year. It like all other drugs

have side effects the weight gain is the worst. My 5 year old is

over 100 pounds...they have tested everything under the sun but all

agree it's due to the medication. Now for tantrums and such it does

help but, it doesn't stop em in some not all cases it lessens the

intensity. My son still tantrums still is agressive etc. but is

better then prior to the meds...BT has helped a ton and we have been

able to back the doses down. Also as a side note this medication

affects the liver and requires liver tests every 6 months to 1 year.

All in all I believe the drug has helped but like no one thing it

wasn't our magic bullet. I hope it's someone's out there though.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Lois Noland

> 240-420-3692

> I don't give in

> I don't give up

>

>

>

>

>

> I don't give in

> I don't give up

>

>

Guest guest

My 9yo son has been taking Risperdal for over a year for symptoms of autism, and the improvement in his behavior is remarkable. It's definitely not the cure, but it allows him to stay in regular ed with an aide, and to learn while he's there. It stabilizes his mood swings and allows him to relax and focus. It's nice to have the FDA approval and not be using it as 'off label,' although obviously that didn't stop us from getting it for him off label. I didn't like the idea of giving him a schizophrenia drug, but was willing to try it if it helped and it did! The dosage in the kids is really, really small but they develop tolerance to it and need more over time. The main side effect we've seen is weight gain - he went from being underweight to now needing a husky size for the first time. Definitely something to keep track of and we need to get him tested for lipids, etc. Marie Elaine

Forrester <rogernelaine@...> wrote: What does it matter? Risperdal has been used for years for autistic children. There is no specific pill for autism. You use meds that treat the symptoms. And even then you use some things for medical conditions that they aren't labeled for. Elaine On 10/7/06, April aka Gypsycatwoman <gypsycatwoman > wrote:

Whoa......... of course, just another pill.....what does everyone else think? Aprillois noland <jlois@...> wrote: http://news./s/nm/20061006/hl_nm/jnj_risperdal_dc_3 Lois Noland 240-420-3692Always in search for the "cure" Lois Noland240-420-3692I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take no for an answerAlways looking for the

"Cure" I don't give inI don't give upAnd I don't take NO for an answer. If God Brings you to it,He will Bring you though it.

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.

Guest guest

Timmy's been on it for about a year now. He hasn't had a problem with

weight gain and it's really helped with his agressive behavior. His doc

wrote him a script last week to get lipid panel, insulin level and

fasting glucose tests run. They have to run these regularly because

Risperdal has been known to cause Diabetes. Interesting that that " side

effect " wasn't mentioned in the article.

I'm dreading him going through this blood test. His last one was so

horrible for him.

Guest guest

Timmy's been on it for about a year now. He hasn't had a problem with

weight gain and it's really helped with his agressive behavior. His doc

wrote him a script last week to get lipid panel, insulin level and

fasting glucose tests run. They have to run these regularly because

Risperdal has been known to cause Diabetes. Interesting that that " side

effect " wasn't mentioned in the article.

I'm dreading him going through this blood test. His last one was so

horrible for him.

Guest guest

Hi, my son has been on Risperdal (Risperidone in U.K.) since he was

eight, on and off. Admittedly it helped as my son has very

unpredictable mood swings and can be violent, especially towards me.

However, I was never happy with him taking Risperdal and took him

off of it (under medical supervision about a year ago). There

followed probably the worst six months of my life as my son is

almost 14 and a strong boy. When I thought he was violent before I

had no idea of how bad it could get. We tried Ritalin for a while

which just kept him awake at night and stopped him from eating.

Finally, he went back on the Risperdal and has calmed a great eal

although we recently had to increase the dose as docs felt 1mg a day

was no longer holding him. The docs have suggested another anti-

psychotic because of the possible side effects of long term use of

Risperdal but I am at a complete loss. I think Sertraline or another

SSRi would help him, coupled with the Risperdal for a while (and

then perhaps I could try withdrawing the Risperdal gradually)

because I read this was very good for obsessional behaviour and most

of my sons tantrums are due to his OCD which completely dominates

our lives. Has anyone else tried this? I am getting a second opinion

because current docs will not even try it in case it makes his

violence worse but I feel that although Risperdal has helped with

the severity of meltdowns, it by no means stops them and therefore

Sonny has no quality of life as he is ruled by his obsessions.

Someone help! Opinions and advice very much needed.

Thanks,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Lois Noland

> 240-420-3692

> I don't give in

> I don't give up

>

>

>

>

>

> I don't give in

> I don't give up

>

>

Guest guest

Hi , I'm new to this group. Just been lurking. I have a 12 yo. ASD daughter that has many medical and

behavioral issues. She has been taking Zyprexa Zydis for about 3 years, just a small dose but last winter

put on 25 lbs in about 3 months. I don't know if it was normal weight gain for her age or the meds. but she

used to be thin. She also showed high blood sugar but we had another test run and it was fine. I have tried

weaning her off it a couple of times but everytime she gets aggressive. I wish she didn't have to take it. She still

has tantrums even though she is on this med. It does help with sleep as well.

Anyway, I'm glad to be on this group.

Thanks,

Kathy H.

Re: Can you believe it?Resperdal.........

Timmy's been on it for about a year now. He hasn't had a problem with weight gain and it's really helped with his agressive behavior. His doc wrote him a script last week to get lipid panel, insulin level and fasting glucose tests run. They have to run these regularly because Risperdal has been known to cause Diabetes. Interesting that that "side effect" wasn't mentioned in the article.I'm dreading him going through this blood test. His last one was so horrible for him.

Guest guest

, we had Karac on Resperdal and he responded to it about like your son. He developed tardis dyskenisia and we took him off of it. We went through months of hell too. I am the grandmother and I had to keep him during that time because it wasn't safe for him to be at home with his two younger siblings. Fortunately he got over the TD; his mother just decided one night to give him one of her Zanax tablets and I think that stopped the TD and the aggression. Karac is 14 and is 5'8 and weighs 150 lbs. He has been on Zanax now for over a year and it has been a Godsend. He takes .1mg. Clonidine at night and a half of a .25 mg. Zanax.

Karac has had some OCD issues too, but they seem to come and go. Right now things are good.

I don't know if any of this is of any help to you, but I do know what you are going through, and I have scars on my arms to prove it. LOL, Pat K

Guest guest

Kathy, Karac was on the Zyprexia and he gained 30 lbs. It stopped the aggression, but it also stopped his personality. We went from that to Resperdal and then had to take him off of that. It is rough to take him off of these meds. Pat K

Guest guest

, I understand........JJ is 18 now and has the same things going on. What I want to know is this...........?Why does OCD produce agression??? Anyone have the answers? Thanks! Lois Re: Can you believe it?Resperdal.........Hi, my son has been on Risperdal (Risperidone in U.K.) since he was eight, on and off. Admittedly it helped as my son has very unpredictable mood swings and can be violent, especially towards me. However, I was never happy with him taking Risperdal and took him off of it (under medical supervision about a year ago). There followed probably the worst six months of my life as my son is almost 14 and a strong boy. When I thought he was violent before I had no idea of how bad it could get. We tried Ritalin for a while which just kept him awake at night and stopped him from eating. Finally, he went back on the Risperdal and has calmed a great eal although we recently had to increase the dose as docs felt 1mg a day was no longer holding him. The docs have suggested another anti-psychotic because of the possible side effects of long term use of Risperdal but I am at a complete loss. I think Sertraline or another SSRi would help him, coupled with the Risperdal for a while (and then perhaps I could try withdrawing the Risperdal gradually) because I read this was very good for obsessional behaviour and most of my sons tantrums are due to his OCD which completely dominates our lives. Has anyone else tried this? I am getting a second opinion because current docs will not even try it in case it makes his violence worse but I feel that although Risperdal has helped with the severity of meltdowns, it by no means stops them and therefore Sonny has no quality of life as he is ruled by his obsessions.Someone help! Opinions and advice very much needed.Thanks, >> > > > http://news./s/nm/20061006/hl_nm/jnj_risperdal_dc_3> > Lois Noland 240-420-3692> Always in search for the "cure"> > > > > Lois Noland> 240-420-3692> I don't give in> I don't give up> And I don't take no for an answer> Always looking for the "Cure"> > > > > > I don't give in> I don't give up> And I don't take NO for an answer.> > If God Brings you to it,> He will Bring you though it.>

Guest guest

-

I completely understand.

risperdal helped but it increased her seizures so we can't use it.

We have used klonopin sucessfully however can't take the dose she really needs. Right now she is on klonopin and lithium which seems to help her anxieties, obsessions,moods,etc.

Elaine

,_._,___

Guest guest

So do you mind me asking what you are using now, if anything?

TIA,

Kathy

Re: Re: Can you believe it?Resperdal.........

Kathy, Karac was on the Zyprexia and he gained 30 lbs. It stopped the aggression, but it also stopped his personality. We went from that to Resperdal and then had to take him off of that. It is rough to take him off of these meds. Pat K

Guest guest

So do you mind me asking what you are using now, if anything?

TIA,

Kathy

Guest guest

Elaine,

Isn't it awful that our children have to take these brain altering drugs and still not be able to lead a normal life?

I am glad that your daughter has found a med that works and makes life a little easier.

My thoughts are with you..........I know first hand how difficult it can be.

x

-

I completely understand.

We have used klonopin sucessfully however can't take the dose she really needs. Right now she is on klonopin and lithium which seems to help her anxieties, obsessions,moods,etc.

Elaine

,_._,___

__________ NOD32 1.1454 (20060321) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.nod32.com

Guest guest

Elaine,

Isn't it awful that our children have to take these brain altering drugs and still not be able to lead a normal life?

I am glad that your daughter has found a med that works and makes life a little easier.

My thoughts are with you..........I know first hand how difficult it can be.

x

-

I completely understand.

Elaine

,_._,___

__________ NOD32 1.1454 (20060321) Information __________This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.http://www.nod32.com