RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: New here, not yet diagnosed, being tested

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I did a search of my VA doctor. As you can see he was Chief of Medicine before simi retireing. He has some some research on kidneys But I guess missed what PA does. Dr. Mogielnicki attended Harvard Medical School and trained in internal medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital. For several years thereafter he was Director of Emergency Medicine at the University of Colorado Medical Center in Denver. He came to the Upper Valley in 1977 and since then has spent a fulfilling career as Chief of Medicine at the Veterans Administration Hospital in White River Junction, Vermont and Professor of Medicine at Dartmouth.

From: Francis Bill <georgewbill@...>Subject: Re: New here, not yet diagnosed, being testedhyperaldosteronism Date: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:30 PM

Went to my VA doctor today. It is quite clear that he knows nothing about Conn's and doesn't want any part of Dr Gimm's information on it. I tried to get him to retest me off the meds. He said that there is no point to it, even if new tests showed Conn's the only way to treat it is to control B/P and K nothing about blocking the aldosterone. He says he is already doing this. He said the risk for surgery isn't worth it.. He is sorry that I feel bad but he has done all that he knows how to do. As I am writing this I received a call from my Dr about the PRA ratio test that they did. Says when they do a PAR ratio tests there is no reason to stop meds as it doesn't make any difference in the PRA ratio. This is not what it says on the Quest Lab site this is who the VA uses. From quest lab siteAldosterone (LC/MS/MS)/Plasma Renin Activity Ratio CPT Code(s): 82088, 84244 Preferred Specimen(s)4 mL (1 mL

minimum) plasma from EDTA (lavender-top) tube transferred into plastic vial. Submit frozen. Avoid refrigerated temperatures. Patient should refrain from taking medications, preferably 3 weeks prior to draw. Patient should be ambulatory for 30 minutes prior to draw. Patient should be on a moderate sodium diet during collection. This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute. It has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The FDA has determined that such clearance or approval is not necessary. Performance characteristics refer to the analytical performance of the test. My doctor also told me since I had already see the VA Endocrinologist and he found nothing wrong. There Endocrinologist is a five minute wonder. He sees you for five minutes and you wonder why. Here is his report and my k readings up to the time I saw him.

> > > >> > > > Hi I'm new here. I just completed a 24 hour cortisol urine test this> > > > morning, I also had lab work yesterday to check for indicators of > > > Conn's,> > > > 's and Cushing's, however when I was at the Endo she and I > > > agreed> > > > that my symptoms most indicated conn's. I have been going through > > > this for> > > > 10

years. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid 8 years ago and > > > premature> > > > ovarian failure. My symptoms of heart palps at night, muscle > > > twitching,> > > > fatigue, inability to exercise without getting wiped out have been> > > > attributed to those 2 diseases, yet when I tried to take even the > > > smallest> > > > amount of thyroid or female hormones I ended up with adrenaline > > > rushes and> > > > spiking blood pressure. I have gone to the hospital 3 times in the > > > last 8> > > > years with heart palaps that ended up being from low postassium, > > > the last> > > > trip was in February of this year and my postassium was 2.9, there > > > are> > > > plenty of other times that

I know I should have gone but didn't. > > > My bp has> > > > gone up and down, it was always very low and my moms is very low, > > > mine used> > > > to run 90's over 70's. I'm very small. My 2 questions are 1. is it > > > common> > > > for the blood pressure and potassium to go up and down with Conn's > > > or do> > > > they usually stay high and low consistantly? I can have bp of > > > 140/89 one day> > > > and 101/68 the next for no apparent reason and most times my > > > potassium is> > > > normal. 2. Is it common in Conn's for people to have a bad > > > reaction to> > > > thyroid medicine? I can't take even the smallest dose without > > > racing heart> > > > and what I call

night time adreanline rushes. I've been dealing > > > with this> > > > for so long that I am hoping to come to a diagnosis.> > > >> > > > Thanks!> > > >> > > > > > > >> > >> > >> >>------------------------------------

Guest guest

If he trained at the Mass Jesus you know he learned about Conn's. Prob even saw some in ER. May your pressure be low!Clarence E. Grim, BS, MS, MDSpecializing in Primary Aldosteronism the most common cause of "Difficult/Drug Resistant High Blood Pressure". Other research interests focus on the interactions of recent evolutionary forces on the body's ability to handle salt and the effect of dietary salt on blood pressure in populations today.Listed in Best Doctors of America 2009. On Oct 25, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Bill wrote: I did a search of my VA doctor. As you can see he was Chief of Medicine before simi retireing. He has some some research on kidneys But I guess missed what PA does. Dr. Mogielnicki attended Harvard Medical School and trained in internal medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital. For several years thereafter he was Director of Emergency Medicine at the University of Colorado Medical Center in Denver. He came to the Upper Valley in 1977 and since then has spent a fulfilling career as Chief of Medicine at the Veterans Administration Hospital in White River Junction, Vermont and Professor of Medicine at Dartmouth. From: Francis Bill <georgewbill >Subject: Re: New here, not yet diagnosed, being testedhyperaldosteronism Date: Friday, October 9, 2009, 10:30 PM Went to my VA doctor today. It is quite clear that he knows nothing about Conn's and doesn't want any part of Dr Gimm's information on it. I tried to get him to retest me off the meds. He said that there is no point to it, even if new tests showed Conn's the only way to treat it is to control B/P and K nothing about blocking the aldosterone. He says he is already doing this. He said the risk for surgery isn't worth it.. He is sorry that I feel bad but he has done all that he knows how to do. As I am writing this I received a call from my Dr about the PRA ratio test that they did. Says when they do a PAR ratio tests there is no reason to stop meds as it doesn't make any difference in the PRA ratio. This is not what it says on the Quest Lab site this is who the VA uses. From quest lab siteAldosterone (LC/MS/MS)/Plasma Renin Activity Ratio CPT Code(s): 82088, 84244 Preferred Specimen(s)4 mL (1 mL minimum) plasma from EDTA (lavender-top) tube transferred into plastic vial. Submit frozen. Avoid refrigerated temperatures. Patient should refrain from taking medications, preferably 3 weeks prior to draw. Patient should be ambulatory for 30 minutes prior to draw. Patient should be on a moderate sodium diet during collection. This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by Quest Diagnostics Nichols Institute. It has not been cleared or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The FDA has determined that such clearance or approval is not necessary. Performance characteristics refer to the analytical performance of the test. My doctor also told me since I had already see the VA Endocrinologist and he found nothing wrong. There Endocrinologist is a five minute wonder. He sees you for five minutes and you wonder why. Here is his report and my k readings up to the time I saw him. > > > >> > > > Hi I'm new here. I just completed a 24 hour cortisol urine test this> > > > morning, I also had lab work yesterday to check for indicators of > > > Conn's,> > > > 's and Cushing's, however when I was at the Endo she and I > > > agreed> > > > that my symptoms most indicated conn's. I have been going through > > > this for> > > > 10 years. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid 8 years ago and > > > premature> > > > ovarian failure. My symptoms of heart palps at night, muscle > > > twitching,> > > > fatigue, inability to exercise without getting wiped out have been> > > > attributed to those 2 diseases, yet when I tried to take even the > > > smallest> > > > amount of thyroid or female hormones I ended up with adrenaline > > > rushes and> > > > spiking blood pressure. I have gone to the hospital 3 times in the > > > last 8> > > > years with heart palaps that ended up being from low postassium, > > > the last> > > > trip was in February of this year and my postassium was 2.9, there > > > are> > > > plenty of other times that I know I should have gone but didn't. > > > My bp has> > > > gone up and down, it was always very low and my moms is very low, > > > mine used> > > > to run 90's over 70's. I'm very small. My 2 questions are 1. is it > > > common> > > > for the blood pressure and potassium to go up and down with Conn's > > > or do> > > > they usually stay high and low consistantly? I can have bp of > > > 140/89 one day> > > > and 101/68 the next for no apparent reason and most times my > > > potassium is> > > > normal. 2. Is it common in Conn's for people to have a bad > > > reaction to> > > > thyroid medicine? I can't take even the smallest dose without > > > racing heart> > > > and what I call night time adreanline rushes. I've been dealing > > > with this> > > > for so long that I am hoping to come to a diagnosis.> > > >> > > > Thanks!> > > >> > > > > > > >> > >> > >> >>------------------------------------

Guest guest

In looking at the Mass General Hospital web site they have nothing about Conn's.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hi I'm new here. I just completed a 24 hour cortisol urine

> > test this

> > > > > > morning, I also had lab work yesterday to check for

> > indicators of

> > > > > Conn's,

> > > > > > 's and Cushing's, however when I was at the Endo she

> > and I

> > > > > agreed

> > > > > > that my symptoms most indicated conn's. I have been going

> > through

> > > > > this for

> > > > > > 10 years. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid 8 years

> > ago and

> > > > > premature

> > > > > > ovarian failure. My symptoms of heart palps at night, muscle

> > > > > twitching,

> > > > > > fatigue, inability to exercise without getting wiped out

> > have been

> > > > > > attributed to those 2 diseases, yet when I tried to take

> > even the

> > > > > smallest

> > > > > > amount of thyroid or female hormones I ended up with

> > adrenaline

> > > > > rushes and

> > > > > > spiking blood pressure. I have gone to the hospital 3 times

> > in the

> > > > > last 8

> > > > > > years with heart palaps that ended up being from low

> > postassium,

> > > > > the last

> > > > > > trip was in February of this year and my postassium was

> > 2.9, there

> > > > > are

> > > > > > plenty of other times that I know I should have gone but

> > didn't.

> > > > > My bp has

> > > > > > gone up and down, it was always very low and my moms is

> > very low,

> > > > > mine used

> > > > > > to run 90's over 70's. I'm very small. My 2 questions are

> > 1. is it

> > > > > common

> > > > > > for the blood pressure and potassium to go up and down with

> > Conn's

> > > > > or do

> > > > > > they usually stay high and low consistantly? I can have bp of

> > > > > 140/89 one day

> > > > > > and 101/68 the next for no apparent reason and most times my

> > > > > potassium is

> > > > > > normal. 2. Is it common in Conn's for people to have a bad

> > > > > reaction to

> > > > > > thyroid medicine? I can't take even the smallest dose without

> > > > > racing heart

> > > > > > and what I call night time adreanline rushes. I've been

> > dealing

> > > > > with this

> > > > > > for so long that I am hoping to come to a diagnosis.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks!

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> >

Guest guest

I would not expect it to be on their web site. Do they have and Endocrine group? Look there. May your pressure be low!Clarence E. Grim, BS, MS, MDSpecializing in Primary Aldosteronism the most common cause of "Difficult/Drug Resistant High Blood Pressure". Other research interests focus on the interactions of recent evolutionary forces on the body's ability to handle salt and the effect of dietary salt on blood pressure in populations today.Listed in Best Doctors of America 2009. On Oct 25, 2009, at 3:52 PM, Francis Bill wrote: In looking at the Mass General Hospital web site they have nothing about Conn's. > > > > > > > > > > > > Hi I'm new here. I just completed a 24 hour cortisol urine > > test this > > > > > > morning, I also had lab work yesterday to check for > > indicators of > > > > > Conn's, > > > > > > 's and Cushing's, however when I was at the Endo she > > and I > > > > > agreed > > > > > > that my symptoms most indicated conn's. I have been going > > through > > > > > this for > > > > > > 10 years. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid 8 years > > ago and > > > > > premature > > > > > > ovarian failure. My symptoms of heart palps at night, muscle > > > > > twitching, > > > > > > fatigue, inability to exercise without getting wiped out > > have been > > > > > > attributed to those 2 diseases, yet when I tried to take > > even the > > > > > smallest > > > > > > amount of thyroid or female hormones I ended up with > > adrenaline > > > > > rushes and > > > > > > spiking blood pressure. I have gone to the hospital 3 times > > in the > > > > > last 8 > > > > > > years with heart palaps that ended up being from low > > postassium, > > > > > the last > > > > > > trip was in February of this year and my postassium was > > 2.9, there > > > > > are > > > > > > plenty of other times that I know I should have gone but > > didn't. > > > > > My bp has > > > > > > gone up and down, it was always very low and my moms is > > very low, > > > > > mine used > > > > > > to run 90's over 70's. I'm very small. My 2 questions are > > 1. is it > > > > > common > > > > > > for the blood pressure and potassium to go up and down with > > Conn's > > > > > or do > > > > > > they usually stay high and low consistantly? I can have bp of > > > > > 140/89 one day > > > > > > and 101/68 the next for no apparent reason and most times my > > > > > potassium is > > > > > > normal. 2. Is it common in Conn's for people to have a bad > > > > > reaction to > > > > > > thyroid medicine? I can't take even the smallest dose without > > > > > racing heart > > > > > > and what I call night time adreanline rushes. I've been > > dealing > > > > > with this > > > > > > for so long that I am hoping to come to a diagnosis. > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > > >

Guest guest

I have tried there Endocrine group still nothing abot PA there. Can search for

doctors but doen't do by group. Have to search through all medical doctors.

If you are Chief of Medicine does this mean you see many patients?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Hi I'm new here. I just completed a 24 hour cortisol urine

> > > > test this

> > > > > > > > morning, I also had lab work yesterday to check for

> > > > indicators of

> > > > > > > Conn's,

> > > > > > > > 's and Cushing's, however when I was at the Endo

> > she

> > > > and I

> > > > > > > agreed

> > > > > > > > that my symptoms most indicated conn's. I have been going

> > > > through

> > > > > > > this for

> > > > > > > > 10 years. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid 8 years

> > > > ago and

> > > > > > > premature

> > > > > > > > ovarian failure. My symptoms of heart palps at night,

> > muscle

> > > > > > > twitching,

> > > > > > > > fatigue, inability to exercise without getting wiped out

> > > > have been

> > > > > > > > attributed to those 2 diseases, yet when I tried to take

> > > > even the

> > > > > > > smallest

> > > > > > > > amount of thyroid or female hormones I ended up with

> > > > adrenaline

> > > > > > > rushes and

> > > > > > > > spiking blood pressure. I have gone to the hospital 3

> > times

> > > > in the

> > > > > > > last 8

> > > > > > > > years with heart palaps that ended up being from low

> > > > postassium,

> > > > > > > the last

> > > > > > > > trip was in February of this year and my postassium was

> > > > 2.9, there

> > > > > > > are

> > > > > > > > plenty of other times that I know I should have gone but

> > > > didn't.

> > > > > > > My bp has

> > > > > > > > gone up and down, it was always very low and my moms is

> > > > very low,

> > > > > > > mine used

> > > > > > > > to run 90's over 70's. I'm very small. My 2 questions are

> > > > 1. is it

> > > > > > > common

> > > > > > > > for the blood pressure and potassium to go up and down

> > with

> > > > Conn's

> > > > > > > or do

> > > > > > > > they usually stay high and low consistantly? I can have

> > bp of

> > > > > > > 140/89 one day

> > > > > > > > and 101/68 the next for no apparent reason and most

> > times my

> > > > > > > potassium is

> > > > > > > > normal. 2. Is it common in Conn's for people to have a bad

> > > > > > > reaction to

> > > > > > > > thyroid medicine? I can't take even the smallest dose

> > without

> > > > > > > racing heart

> > > > > > > > and what I call night time adreanline rushes. I've been

> > > > dealing

> > > > > > > with this

> > > > > > > > for so long that I am hoping to come to a diagnosis.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Thanks!

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >