RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: I thought people might be interested in this.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you so much Chris. This could not have arrived at a more opportune moment as I am preparing an opening statement for conference tomorrow. The focus is infant and child mental health. Flyer attached. If I may I will quote these as a fitting backdrop to the rest of the day.

Best wishes,

I thought people might be interested in this.

Parents warned about “unhelpful teaching”

Parents who teach their pre-school children to read, write and add could be setting them up for mental health problems later in life, the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health says. A report issued today (04/04/03) encourages patients to interact with their infants through informal play, but warns against adopting a formal teaching approach. The study investigates why so many children have emotional and behavioural problems at a time when they are healthier and better educated than ever. It blames “unhelpful parenting practices” and a lack of understanding among parents of child development.(The Times 04/04/03; p.19)© HMG Worldwide 2003http://www.health-news.co.uk/

Babies of divorced parents suffer

”Babies forced to spend nights in the separate homes of divorced or separated parents often suffer emotional and physical anguish, according to new research. Such infants have more tantrums, develop eating and sleeping disorders, and exhibit distress through symptoms such as raised heartbeats. They also fail to identify their mothers as a source of comfort because they are confused by her regular absences. The findings were made in the world’s first study of how infants’ attachment to their parents is affected by overnight stays.(The Daily Telegraph 04/04/03; p.13)© HMG Worldwide 2003http://www.health-news.co.uk/

Guest guest

Please do..they're public domain..if it's OK with Senate, I will start posting up these nuggets..I get them from a news agancy.

Give 'em a blast!

-----Original Message-----From: Bidmead [mailto:christine@...]Sent: 04 April 2003 15:13 Subject: Re: I thought people might be interested in this.

Thank you so much Chris. This could not have arrived at a more opportune moment as I am preparing an opening statement for conference tomorrow. The focus is infant and child mental health. Flyer attached. If I may I will quote these as a fitting backdrop to the rest of the day.

Best wishes,

Parents who teach their pre-school children to read, write and add could be setting them up for mental health problems later in life, the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health says. A report issued today (04/04/03) encourages patients to interact with their infants through informal play, but warns against adopting a formal teaching approach. The study investigates why so many children have emotional and behavioural problems at a time when they are healthier and better educated than ever. It blames “unhelpful parenting practices” and a lack of understanding among parents of child development.(The Times 04/04/03; p.19)© HMG Worldwide 2003http://www.health-news.co.uk/

”Babies forced to spend nights in the separate homes of divorced or separated parents often suffer emotional and physical anguish, according to new research. Such infants have more tantrums, develop eating and sleeping disorders, and exhibit distress through symptoms such as raised heartbeats. They also fail to identify their mothers as a source of comfort because they are confused by her regular absences. The findings were made in the world’s first study of how infants’ attachment to their parents is affected by overnight stays.(The Daily Telegraph 04/04/03; p.13)© HMG Worldwide 2003http://www.health-news.co.uk/

Guest guest

, I hope the conference went well. infant mental health is something I am particularly interested in. We have a local interest group and really want to do something practical. Unfortunately have no money!! Would welcome any ideas.

I work closely on this with a child psychotherapist and another health visitor , Joanna hawthorne from the Brazelton institute and Sheelah seeley. I am going to do the Brazelton training shortly and hope that we amy be able to use those skills to develop something. unfortunately i have only a bank contract but i am sure we can be creative with that.

My thinking is closely linked with a colleague's who is quite sure that the traditional primary birth visit is not meeting the needs of many mothers. What do other people think?

Ann

Guest guest

Ann we agree that the primary birth visit is not meeting the needs of the family

and are looking at this. The plan is to use focus groups to find out what people

want. We are going to rename it something like the family post-natal visit to

remove the emphasis from the baby. Alison

Re: I thought people might be interested in this.

, I hope the conference went well. infant mental health is something I

am particularly interested in. We have a local interest group and really want to

do something practical. Unfortunately have no money!! Would welcome any ideas.

I work closely on this with a child psychotherapist and another health visitor

, Joanna hawthorne from the Brazelton institute and Sheelah seeley. I am going

to do the Brazelton training shortly and hope that we amy be able to use those

skills to develop something. unfortunately i have only a bank contract but i am

sure we can be creative with that.

My thinking is closely linked with a colleague's who is quite sure that the

traditional primary birth visit is not meeting the needs of many mothers. What

do other people think?

Ann

Parents warned about “unhelpful teachingâ€Â

Parents who teach their pre-school children to read, write and add could be

setting them up for mental health problems later in life, the Royal College of

Paediatrics and Child Health says. A report issued today (04/04/03) encourages

patients to interact with their infants through informal play, but warns against

adopting a formal teaching approach. The study investigates why so many children

have emotional and behavioural problems at a time when they are healthier and

better educated than ever. It blames “unhelpful parenting practicesâ€Â

and a lack of understanding among parents of child development.

(The Times 04/04/03; p.19)

© HMG Worldwide 2003

http://www.health-news.co.uk/

â€ÂBabies forced to spend nights in the separate homes of divorced or

separated parents often suffer emotional and physical anguish, according to new

research. Such infants have more tantrums, develop eating and sleeping

disorders, and exhibit distress through symptoms such as raised heartbeats. They

also fail to identify their mothers as a source of comfort because they are

confused by her regular absences. The findings were made in the world’s

first study of how infants’ attachment to their parents is affected by

overnight stays.

(The Daily Telegraph 04/04/03; p.13)

© HMG Worldwide 2003

http://www.health-news.co.uk/

Guest guest

It will be really interesting to hear how you get on. I'm very inteersted in looking at it through the theoretical ideas of reciprocity and containment that underpin the solihull approach.

Ann

I thought people might be interested in this. Parents warned about “unhelpful teaching†Parents who teach their pre-school children to read, write and add could be setting them up for mental health problems later in life, the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health says. A report issued today (04/04/03) encourages patients to interact with their infants through informal play, but warns against adopting a formal teaching approach. The study investigates why so many children have emotional and behavioural problems at a time when they are healthier and better educated than ever. It blames “unhelpful parenting practices†and a lack of understanding among parents of child development. (The Times 04/04/03; p.19) © HMG Worldwide 2003 http://www.health-news.co.uk/ Babies of divorced parents suffer â€ÂBabies forced to spend nights in the separate homes of divorced or separated parents often suffer emotional and physical anguish, according to new research. Such infants have more tantrums, develop eating and sleeping disorders, and exhibit distress through symptoms such as raised heartbeats. They also fail to identify their mothers as a source of comfort because they are confused by her regular absences. The findings were made in the world’s first study of how infants’ attachment to their parents is affected by overnight stays. (The Daily Telegraph 04/04/03; p.13) © HMG Worldwide 2003 http://www.health-news.co.uk/

Guest guest

Ann and Margaret,

Im really interested in this - can you outline more of what you mean when you say it does not meet the need and how you would replace or re negotiate it with something more meaningful for the client ? I try to negotiate with my clients exactly what they would like from me at this visit ( this would be their second contact ) - but it definitely has to be a visit within a timeframe after delivery.

-----Original Message-----From: Margaret Buttigieg [mailto:margaret@...]Sent: 08 April 2003 07:58 Subject: Re: I thought people might be interested in this.

Ann - I quite sure the traditional birth visit is not meeting the need but have found when I suggest to some HVs it should be changed lots of resistance as it is like the bread and butter of the work and you get things like - it is statutory (which of course it is not), it is required by the PCT, I need to do it or I will be disciplined and so on.

It would be really good to use SENATE to redesign it and then perhaps we could all published something with evidence.

Margaret

Guest guest

When I was with a very young mum last week I just felt that what I was doing was not right but that I could communicate with her through her baby. Her face lit up each time we talked about her baby and i just felt I wanted to throw away the book and everything else I had with me and help her see what her baby was doing. Does that make sense?

I and a colleague also feel that in the more deprived areas the mums just seem to want you in and out and its their needs, arguably the greatest, we are not meeting. I'm not saying don't do the visit I'm saying let's look at doing it differently or variously depending on the needs of the client.

Ann

Guest guest

Margaret, what a brilliant idea. Where shall we start? I may have some interest here in cambridge in my ideas but these are embryonic at the moment

Ann

Guest guest

If you dont communicate in whatever way you can with someone, then you cant even begin to do your job - so i think you should have thrown away the book! Also how valuable to discover and promote the obvious joy she expressed in her baby - think of the protective effects re bonding etc you are promoting. Id applaud your practice - talk about effective. Clearly youare an expert practitioner.

Are you working in an area with very prescriptive practice ?

I agree with you about looking at it differently- I think we must be quite lucky in our trust as regards this visit.

-----Original Message-----From: Ann GIRLING [mailto:annieg@...]Sent: 07 April 2003 19:36 Subject: Re: I thought people might be interested in this.

When I was with a very young mum last week I just felt that what I was doing was not right but that I could communicate with her through her baby. Her face lit up each time we talked about her baby and i just felt I wanted to throw away the book and everything else I had with me and help her see what her baby was doing. Does that make sense?

I and a colleague also feel that in the more deprived areas the mums just seem to want you in and out and its their needs, arguably the greatest, we are not meeting. I'm not saying don't do the visit I'm saying let's look at doing it differently or variously depending on the needs of the client.

Ann

Guest guest

Ann - I quite sure the traditional birth visit is not meeting the need but have found when I suggest to some HVs it should be changed lots of resistance as it is like the bread and butter of the work and you get things like - it is statutory (which of course it is not), it is required by the PCT, I need to do it or I will be disciplined and so on.

It would be really good to use SENATE to redesign it and then perhaps we could all published something with evidence.

Margaret

Guest guest

I think I work in an area where people are very defensive about practice and having been through the horror of disinvestment 5 or 6 years ago (remember the Cambridge experiment?) I'm not surprised. However i feel very strongly that we do need to move on if we are not to experience the same again.

We were promised reinvestment 2 years ago and I and others worked like Trojans on a modernisation package with no guidance and no support and still it has not happened. Is it surprising people walk away and try and influence from outsied maybe in arenas such as this.

This is becoming very therapeutic for me!!

Ann

Guest guest

Will definitely be down June 9th if not before as i need to meet some people but that date is definite

Ann

Guest guest

Dear Ann

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get to reply to this. I have been bursting to say that at the Centre for Parent and Child support, where I work with Professor Hilton , we have developed a training in Early Promotion and have developed a way of working that is client led but within a structured framework. This has developed out of the European Early Promotion project which took place in five European sites including London. For details of the project see Infant Mental Health Journal, Vol 23 (6), 606-624 (2002) 'The European Early Promotion Project: An New Primary Health Care Service to Promote Children's Mental Health' Puura K., H., Papadopoulou K et al.

This has also formed the basis of training for health visitors working in Oxford with a study of intensive home visiting for the prevention of abuse and neglect. Home visiting in both studies begins pre birth and continues post birth maintaining the relationship with the primary health care worker or health visitor. Visiting at this time is often about facilitating the parent infant interaction and health visitors are trained to identify where this is necessary and how to go about it using principles from the Brazelton techniques.

I was at the launch of the Brazelton Institute in Cambridge when Berry Brazelton came over. I heard him speak and was mightily impressed. I wrote to the CPHVA at the time and gave a précis of what I had heard, saying that I thought it ought to be part of all HV training. Joanna Hawthorne also spoke on that day. I was so impressed! I am so delighted that others are catching on and that this work is spreading out into practice.

Best wishes,

Guest guest

I am not sure but when we meet up when you are in Hackney we could discuss it further.

when are you likely to be there

Margaret

Guest guest

Hi Margaret

i am quite new to senate but have been plugging into the site for a while reading responses. Your comment however really interested me. I presently work P/T as a regular HV and P/T as a health Development worker for SE Ipswich SureStart and obviously this role is all about developing practice. I may be contraversial here but i welcome the idea that midwives visit the families for up to 28days. In my experience things have always worked best for the client when there is flexibility between HV and midwifery teams and the client is ready to move on to the HV service. I would like to see a service where there is a smooth transition from midwife to HV and where HV's just pick up from where the midwife left off which will be at a different starting point with each family instead of feeling as if we are a completely different service with different paperwork etc . I worry that we are fighting for keeping contact with the babies in the early weeks at the expense of the 3-5yr olds on our caseloads who are getting a very limited service.Maybe we should ask the Mums what they would like more.

Hope this makes sense, we are experiencing it alittle in our SS area where the midwives run a very informal A/N group in our SS shop and our mums like it so much that they return often weekly with their babies and so myself and a colleague also attend to meet the mums there.

I know i have got off the point abit re content of primary visits but there is potential out there to work in a very different way.

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 7:58 AM

Subject: Re: I thought people might be interested in this.

Margaret

Guest guest

Dear Helen

I stayed in my last GP practice for about 19 years. We were the first practice on a "brown field" development of private houses ( 11,000 people live there now) . In the first five years my practice nurse and I were so swamped with tearful and depressed young mums that we ran out of time to do the counselling they needed. We came across an org. called "Meet a Mum" and started a group. This was a great success . Our young mums came each week with their babies and soon they were helping and supporting each other - we provided the venue and tried to answer questions or draw in knowledgeable people when different topics seemed important to the group.

A great deal of very positive "health gain" was achieved of lasting value.

This development changed my whole attitude to primary care practice and encouraged me to develop numerous "health-arts-education" projects in the following years.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes, Malcolm

Guest guest

Hear, Hear we in Thetford have recently adopted this approach, that is working closely with midwives to provide a smoother more effective service taking over from the midwives when they feel their work is done rather than duplicating services which also runs the risk of causing conflicting advice. our visits are aimed at individual need rather than a rigid regulated approach, there are those preferring to attend groups quite soon after delivery, Others prefer home visits for awhile longer. We try to meet these needs.

Guest guest

dear

Is this the same as the Parent Advisor Training linked into early

intervention project run by Hilton ?

Lynn

>From: " Bidmead " <christine@...>

>Reply-

>< >

>Subject: Re: I thought people might be interested in this.

>Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:45:53 +0100

>

>Dear Ann

>

>I am sorry it has taken me so long to get to reply to this. I have been

>bursting to say that at the Centre for Parent and Child support, where I

>work with Professor Hilton , we have developed a training in Early

>Promotion and have developed a way of working that is client led but within

>a structured framework. This has developed out of the European Early

>Promotion project which took place in five European sites including London.

> For details of the project see Infant Mental Health Journal, Vol 23 (6),

>606-624 (2002) 'The European Early Promotion Project: An New Primary Health

>Care Service to Promote Children's Mental Health' Puura K., H.,

>Papadopoulou K et al.

>

>This has also formed the basis of training for health visitors working in

>Oxford with a study of intensive home visiting for the prevention of abuse

>and neglect. Home visiting in both studies begins pre birth and continues

>post birth maintaining the relationship with the primary health care worker

>or health visitor. Visiting at this time is often about facilitating the

>parent infant interaction and health visitors are trained to identify where

>this is necessary and how to go about it using principles from the

>Brazelton techniques.

>

>I was at the launch of the Brazelton Institute in Cambridge when Berry

>Brazelton came over. I heard him speak and was mightily impressed. I

>wrote to the CPHVA at the time and gave a précis of what I had heard,

>saying that I thought it ought to be part of all HV training. Joanna

>Hawthorne also spoke on that day. I was so impressed! I am so delighted

>that others are catching on and that this work is spreading out into

>practice.

>

>Best wishes,

>

>

> I thought people might be interested in this.

>

>

> Parents warned about " unhelpful teaching "

> Parents who teach their pre-school children to read, write and add

>could be setting them up for mental health problems later in life, the

>Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health says. A report issued today

>(04/04/03) encourages patients to interact with their infants through

>informal play, but warns against adopting a formal teaching approach. The

>study investigates why so many children have emotional and behavioural

>problems at a time when they are healthier and better educated than ever.

>It blames " unhelpful parenting practices " and a lack of understanding among

>parents of child development.

> (The Times 04/04/03; p.19)

>

> © HMG Worldwide 2003

> http://www.health-news.co.uk/

>

>

> Babies of divorced parents suffer

>

> " Babies forced to spend nights in the separate homes of divorced or

>separated parents often suffer emotional and physical anguish, according to

>new research. Such infants have more tantrums, develop eating and sleeping

>disorders, and exhibit distress through symptoms such as raised heartbeats.

>They also fail to identify their mothers as a source of comfort because

>they are confused by her regular absences. The findings were made in the

>world's first study of how infants' attachment to their parents is affected

>by overnight stays.

> (The Daily Telegraph 04/04/03; p.13)

>

> © HMG Worldwide 2003

> http://www.health-news.co.uk/

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

In my practice I use the birth visit to renew the relationship I have already formed antenatally and spend time offering the couple time to reflect on their changing emotional relationships. We are all trained in Solihull and I begin working with it immediately. We also do Echocheck hearing checks so spend some time setting that up for the second visit. Ruth

Guest guest

Brilliant Ann - thats just how I enjoy the first visit with new parents - the miracle and magic of the baby combined with the awesome knowledge of responsibility. Ruth

Guest guest

Yes, Lynn the core training is the same but then there is a module added for

early promotion and intervention.

Best wishes,

I thought people might be interested in

this.

> >

> >

> > Parents warned about " unhelpful teaching "

> > Parents who teach their pre-school children to read, write and add

> >could be setting them up for mental health problems later in life, the

> >Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health says. A report issued today

> >(04/04/03) encourages patients to interact with their infants through

> >informal play, but warns against adopting a formal teaching approach. The

> >study investigates why so many children have emotional and behavioural

> >problems at a time when they are healthier and better educated than ever.

> >It blames " unhelpful parenting practices " and a lack of understanding

among

> >parents of child development.

> > (The Times 04/04/03; p.19)

> >

> > © HMG Worldwide 2003

> > http://www.health-news.co.uk/

> >

> >

> > Babies of divorced parents suffer

> >

> > " Babies forced to spend nights in the separate homes of divorced

or

> >separated parents often suffer emotional and physical anguish, according

to

> >new research. Such infants have more tantrums, develop eating and

sleeping

> >disorders, and exhibit distress through symptoms such as raised

heartbeats.

> >They also fail to identify their mothers as a source of comfort because

> >they are confused by her regular absences. The findings were made in the

> >world's first study of how infants' attachment to their parents is

affected

> >by overnight stays.

> > (The Daily Telegraph 04/04/03; p.13)

> >

> > © HMG Worldwide 2003

> > http://www.health-news.co.uk/

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Thank you for that, . I hope i may keep in touch should i make any progress with my ideas but will hopefully get the article you referenced

Ann

Guest guest

I'm really interested in what you have to say Ruith re using the Solihull approach straight away and would love to hear more about it

Ann

Guest guest

Thanks for this, Ive heard of Meet a Mum when i used to work in Bristol, we are working with local Mums to get them involved as is the underlying principle of Surestart. I am interested to know more about your health -arts-education projects. its refreshing to see the word art included and how do you think these differ from ordinary health education projects?

Guest guest

sounds good, has this had any impact on the primary visit, in content etc, also have you been doing it long enough to evaluate it properly