RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

EFA deficiency

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Good afternoon: I need your advise. I have a GB patient who is 6 months out and experiencing hair loss (head only). She is getting very little fat in her diet. I am wondering if she could have EFA deficiency. What is the lab work I should recommend? I instructed the patient to increase halthy fats in her diet. Should i tell her to do supplements? Thank you Beth Taschuk RD

Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.

Guest guest

Hi Regina: She is eating a minumum of 60 grams perday. Thank you Bethregina ston <rfpqueen@...> wrote: Hi Beth,How much protein is she eating per day?Regina>From: Beth Taschuk <bethhanne >>Reply- > >Subject: EFA deficiency>Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT)>>Good afternoon:> I need your advise. I have a GB patient who is 6 months out and >experiencing hair loss (head only). She is getting very little fat in her >diet. I am wondering if she could have EFA deficiency. What is the lab >work I should recommend?> I instructed the patient to increase halthy fats in her diet. Should i >tell her to do supplements?> Thank you> Beth Taschuk RD>>>--------------------------------->Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with >FareChase.__________________________________________________________http://newlivehotmail.com

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

Beth,

She may need to eat more protein. Sometimes the hair loss doesn't coincide

with the current protein intake. She may have not been eating enough

protein 2 or 3 months ago and is having hair loss now.

Regina

>From: Beth Taschuk <bethhanne@...>

>Reply-

>

>Subject: RE: EFA deficiency

>Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:21:37 -0700 (PDT)

>

>Hi Regina:

> She is eating a minumum of 60 grams perday.

> Thank you

> Beth

>

>regina ston <rfpqueen@...> wrote:

> Hi Beth,

>How much protein is she eating per day?

>Regina

>

> >From: Beth Taschuk <bethhanne@...>

> >Reply-

> >

> >Subject: EFA deficiency

> >Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT)

> >

> >Good afternoon:

> > I need your advise. I have a GB patient who is 6 months out and

> >experiencing hair loss (head only). She is getting very little fat in her

> >diet. I am wondering if she could have EFA deficiency. What is the lab

> >work I should recommend?

> > I instructed the patient to increase halthy fats in her diet. Should i

> >tell her to do supplements?

> > Thank you

> > Beth Taschuk RD

> >

> >

> >---------------------------------

> >Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with

> >FareChase.

>

>__________________________________________________________

>http://newlivehotmail.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>---------------------------------

>Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.

> Answers - Check it out.

http://liveearth.msn.com

Guest guest

We recommend 80-100g protein to both Band and GB pts. I've noticed that some pts admitted to the hospital from different surgical centers have been told to eat less.

Amy Long Carrera MS, RD Clinical Dietitian Northridge Hospital Medical Center and Center for Weight Loss SurgeryNorthridge, CA Amy.Long@... 818-885-8500 x4034

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of steve.huntingtonSent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:19 PM Subject: Re: EFA deficiency

Most RNY pts notice some hair loss about 3-6 months after surgery. This happens as part of the body's response to sudden calorie and protein deprivation post-op. The body puts some of its normal maintenance activities on hold until nutrition is coming in again. The actual condition is called telogen effluvium. It is temporary, and the hair will grow back, provided protein and vitamin intake is adequate.Zinc and biotin supplements make a difference for some. Some swear by shampoos such as Nioxin or GNC's Hair, Skin, and Nails tablets. In my experience, consuming enough protein in food and hydrolized whey shakes is key.Steve Huntington, PhD, RD, LD>> Good afternoon:> I need your advise. I have a GB patient who is 6 months out and experiencing hair loss (head only). She is getting very little fat in her diet. I am wondering if she could have EFA deficiency. What is the lab work I should recommend?> I instructed the patient to increase halthy fats in her diet. Should i tell her to do supplements?> Thank you> Beth Taschuk RD> > > ---------------------------------> Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.>

Guest guest

Beth, If your patient is experiencing a cluster of symptoms including dry skin, carbohydrate cravings, sleep issues, menstrual changes, or some mood issues, it may be an EFA deficiency. The Metametrix lab in Atlanta, Georgia, has fatty acid profile tests, but they are expensive. I can usually just work off of symptoms and correct the issue. The hair loss she is most likely to experience if it's EFA-related...is a male pattern baldness. You can contact me privately if you'd like more information: monika@.... Regards, Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RD http://www.afterthediet.com

Guest guest

To help prevent EFA, we suggest in our written materials that our RNY patients get their fat intake as 2 tsp per day of Canola Oil (20% of total FA as 18:2 - linoleic; 9.3% of total FA as 18:3 - linolenic). Bartholomay, LRDManager, Nutrition TherapyMeritCare Health Systems.Bartholomay@...(701) 234-6166>>> Monika Woolsey <monika@...> 7/29/2007 10:25 PM >>>Beth, If your patient is experiencing a cluster of symptoms including dry skin, carbohydrate cravings, sleep issues, menstrual changes, or some mood issues, it may be an EFA deficiency. The Metametrix lab in Atlanta, Georgia, has fatty acid profile tests, but they are expensive. I can usually just work off of symptoms and correct the issue. The hair loss she is most likely to experience if it's EFA-related...is a male pattern baldness. You can contact me privately if you'd like more information: monikaafterthediet. Regards, Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RDhttp://www.afterthediet.comThis e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18 U.S.C. Section 2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Guest guest

The surgeon I work with will not believe that 100g protein may be necessary for some patients, especially large males. Do you have any references for this that you would be willing to share with me?

Thanks!

, RD, CD

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Long, Amy - NHMCSent: Friday, July 27, 2007 5:15 PM' 'Subject: RE: Re: EFA deficiency

We recommend 80-100g protein to both Band and GB pts. I've noticed that some pts admitted to the hospital from different surgical centers have been told to eat less.

Amy Long Carrera MS, RD Clinical Dietitian Northridge Hospital Medical Center and Center for Weight Loss SurgeryNorthridge, CA Amy.Long@... 818-885-8500 x4034

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of steve.huntingtonSent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:19 PM Subject: Re: EFA deficiency

Most RNY pts notice some hair loss about 3-6 months after surgery. This happens as part of the body's response to sudden calorie and protein deprivation post-op. The body puts some of its normal maintenance activities on hold until nutrition is coming in again. The actual condition is called telogen effluvium. It is temporary, and the hair will grow back, provided protein and vitamin intake is adequate.Zinc and biotin supplements make a difference for some. Some swear by shampoos such as Nioxin or GNC's Hair, Skin, and Nails tablets. In my experience, consuming enough protein in food and hydrolized whey shakes is key.Steve Huntington, PhD, RD, LD>> Good afternoon:> I need your advise. I have a GB patient who is 6 months out and experiencing hair loss (head only). She is getting very little fat in her diet. I am wondering if she could have EFA deficiency. What is the lab work I should recommend?> I instructed the patient to increase halthy fats in her diet. Should i tell her to do supplements?> Thank you> Beth Taschuk RD> > > ---------------------------------> Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with FareChase.>

Guest guest

, Is there a reason you stick solely with canola oil? There's a lot of evidence to suggest a very low conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA, especially in individuals whose diets are historically out of balance. Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RD http://www.afterthediet.com

Guest guest

Monika,We recommend for cooking/consuming the canola oil (in place of sunflower oil, soybean, etc). We also still recommend people take fish oil supplements for the already made EPA and DHA. Any vegetable source of omega 3's have that issue that you mentioned since we do not really know which individuals do and do not have the capacity to make ALA into EPA and DHA. Hope that helps.>>> Monika Woolsey <monika@...> 7/31/2007 11:12 AM >>>, Is there a reason you stick solely with canola oil? There's a lot of evidence to suggest a very low conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA, especially in individuals whose diets are historically out of balance. Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RDhttp://www.afterthediet.comThis e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18 U.S.C. Section 2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Guest guest

What about olive? This is less detrimental to the 6:3 ratio as canola

oil. I recommend this for cooking in moderate heat, not frying.

Tina Musselman RD, CCN

Bariatric Program Coordinator

(708) 747-4000 ext. 7444 or

(708) 679-2717

(708) 679-2418 (fax)

Re: EFA deficiency

Monika,

We recommend for cooking/consuming the canola oil (in place of sunflower

oil, soybean, etc). We also still recommend people take fish oil

supplements for the already made EPA and DHA. Any vegetable source of

omega 3's have that issue that you mentioned since we do not really know

which individuals do and do not have the capacity to make ALA into EPA

and DHA.

Hope that helps.

>>> Monika Woolsey <monika@...> 7/31/2007 11:12 AM >>>

Is there a reason you stick solely with canola oil? There's a lot of

evidence to suggest a very low conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA,

especially in individuals whose diets are historically out of balance.

Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RD

http://www.afterthediet.com

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above

and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18 U.S.C.

Section 2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may contain

information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under

applicable law. If you have received this message in error please

immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail

message from your computer.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is

intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may

contain information that is privileged, confidential, and prohibited from

disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or

authorized to receive this on behalf of the recipient, you are hereby notified

that any review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you

are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and

destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

Guest guest

I initially looked at olive oil, but the canola had the higher level of linoleic and linolenic than olive and my concern was to prevent EFA deficiency and the olive oil has double the amount of linoleic and virtually no linolenic comparatively. In my previous comment, I meant to say those individuals who can "readily" make EPA and DHA from ALA. The fish oil supplement is also a challenge as our surgeons feel the capsules of Omega 3 won't be tolerated (yet many of our patients had been taking a whole MVM tablet daily and tolerating that). Are others recommending only the liquid Omega 3 or the capsules?? Thanks,>>> "Musselman Tina" <tina.musselman@...> 7/31/2007 12:44 PM >>>What about olive? This is less detrimental to the 6:3 ratio as canolaoil. I recommend this for cooking in moderate heat, not frying.Tina Musselman RD, CCNBariatric Program Coordinator(708) 747-4000 ext. 7444 or(708) 679-2717(708) 679-2418 (fax)-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of BartholomaySent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:50 AM Subject: Re: EFA deficiencyMonika,We recommend for cooking/consuming the canola oil (in place of sunfloweroil, soybean, etc). We also still recommend people take fish oilsupplements for the already made EPA and DHA. Any vegetable source ofomega 3's have that issue that you mentioned since we do not really knowwhich individuals do and do not have the capacity to make ALA into EPAand DHA.Hope that helps.>>> Monika Woolsey <monikaafterthediet> 7/31/2007 11:12 AM >>>,Is there a reason you stick solely with canola oil? There's a lot ofevidence to suggest a very low conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA,especially in individuals whose diets are historically out of balance.Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RDhttp://www.afterthediet.comThis e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) aboveand is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18 U.S.C.Section 2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may containinformation that is privileged or exempt from disclosure underapplicable law. If you have received this message in error pleaseimmediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mailmessage from your computer.The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18 U.S.C. Section 2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Guest guest

- regarding the concern about inability to tolerate pills or

capsules - have you looked at the EFA supplement Coromega - it provides

EFAs in a small packet of a pudding-like emulsion. (www.coromega.com.)

This is what I typically rec to post-ops if I am concerned about

tolerating capsules/pills.

Marcus M.S., R.D., CD-N

Center for Weight Management

North Shore-LIJ Department of Medicine

2800 Marcus Avenue Suite 200

Lake Success, New York 11042

Voicemail: (516) 708-2659

Main: (516) 708-2560

Fax: (516) 708-2570

Monika,

and DHA.

Hope that helps.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents

is intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed,

and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and

prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the

intended recipient, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the

recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure,

copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended

recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all copies

of the original message. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

-

The information contained in this electronic e-mail transmission

and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual

or entity to whom or to which it is addressed, and may contain

information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from

disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this communication

is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible

for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you

are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying

or disclosure of this communication and any attachment is strictly

prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please

notify the sender immediately by telephone and electronic mail,

and delete the original communication and any attachment from any

computer, server or other electronic recording or storage device

or medium. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is

not a waiver of any attorney-client, physician-patient or other

privilege. Thank you.

Guest guest

Renew Life has a fish oil with lipase that seems to solve the problem of those

who cannot tolerate the fish oil.

E. Wetzel, RD, LMNT

The Nutrition Advantage

900 W. Norfolk Ave; Ste 100

Norfolk, NE 68701

Monika,

and DHA.

Hope that helps.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is

intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is addressed, and may

contain information that is privileged, confidential, and prohibited from

disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or

authorized to receive this on behalf of the recipient, you are hereby notified

that any review, use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you

are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and

destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and is

covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18 U.S.C. Section

2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may contain information that is

privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received

this message in error please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and

delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Guest guest

I also suggest the Coromega gel packs for patients. Not sure if

there are Vitamin Shoppes in your area, but they are available there

so patient's don't have to worry with online ordering.

>

> - regarding the concern about inability to tolerate pills or

> capsules - have you looked at the EFA supplement Coromega - it

provides

> EFAs in a small packet of a pudding-like emulsion.

(www.coromega.com.)

> This is what I typically rec to post-ops if I am concerned about

> tolerating capsules/pills.

>

> Marcus M.S., R.D., CD-N

> Center for Weight Management

> North Shore-LIJ Department of Medicine

> 2800 Marcus Avenue Suite 200

> Lake Success, New York 11042

> Voicemail: (516) 708-2659

> Main: (516) 708-2560

> Fax: (516) 708-2570

>

>

>

> Re: EFA deficiency

>

> Monika,

> We recommend for cooking/consuming the canola oil (in place of

sunflower

> oil, soybean, etc). We also still recommend people take fish oil

> supplements for the already made EPA and DHA. Any vegetable source

of

> omega 3's have that issue that you mentioned since we do not really

know

> which individuals do and do not have the capacity to make ALA into

EPA

> and DHA.

>

> Hope that helps.

>

>

> >>> Monika Woolsey <monika@...> 7/31/2007 11:12 AM >>>

>

> ,

>

> Is there a reason you stick solely with canola oil? There's a lot of

> evidence to suggest a very low conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA,

> especially in individuals whose diets are historically out of

balance.

>

> Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RD

> http://www.afterthediet.com

>

> This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s)

above

> and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18

U.S.C.

> Section 2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may contain

> information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under

> applicable law. If you have received this message in error please

> immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-

mail

> message from your computer.

>

> The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying

documents

> is intended for the sole use of the recipient to whom it is

addressed,

> and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and

> prohibited from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the

> intended recipient, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the

> recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure,

> copying, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended

> recipient(s), please contact the sender by e-mail and destroy all

copies

> of the original message. Thank you.

>

>

>

> This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s)

above

> and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18

U.S.C.

> Section 2510-2521. This e-mail is confidential and may contain

> information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under

> applicable law. If you have received this message in error please

> immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-

mail

> message from your computer.

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------

> The information contained in this electronic e-mail transmission

> and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual

> or entity to whom or to which it is addressed, and may contain

> information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from

> disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this communication

> is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible

> for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you

> are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying

> or disclosure of this communication and any attachment is strictly

> prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please

> notify the sender immediately by telephone and electronic mail,

> and delete the original communication and any attachment from any

> computer, server or other electronic recording or storage device

> or medium. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is

> not a waiver of any attorney-client, physician-patient or other

> privilege. Thank you.

>

Guest guest

A list I found includes: Craving for fatty foods. Dry and oily skin. Dry and brittle hair Excessive thirst; and dry mouth and eyes. Irregular bowel movements. Feeling tired and weary Failure to concentrate. Insufficient lubrication of vagina. Pre-menstrual pain in breasts and cramping in the abdomen. Skin becomes dry and scaly. Small bumps develop on the arms, hands. Stiff, painful joints. I also found this study for you if you wanted to read it and pass it on to the Dr. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1345066 It’s all about EFA deficiency with TPN From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Bizzarro, A Civ USAF AFMC 88 DTS/SGQDSent: Friday, February 17, 2012 11:46 AM Subject: [sPAM?] EFA deficiencyImportance: Low Hello again! Thank you everyone that helped me with my protein supplement and food allergy question. Can anyone tell me what EFA deficiency can cause besides scaly skin and other skin issues? I have a TPN without lipids for 13 days now and the surgeon will not add in the lipid yet. I know it needs to be added soon but what other complications will the patient encounter? Thanks so much! Missy Bizzarro RD, LD

**CONFIDENTIALITY & PRIVACY NOTICE**: This message and any included attachments originate from Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This email and any attachments are confidential and may contain privileged or protected patient health information. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error with a copy to SecurityOfficer@... by e-mail or call Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center in Alamogordo, NM at 575-439-6100, attention Security Officer.