RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: JOHN__

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Take care , Let us know how your doing when your able too... Worried in Ohio...

((( Caring Hugs )))Helen

Looks like the power is out for good now. Wind is still picking up. There's about 15 minutes left on the UPS for my DSL and wireless base station, laptop probably has about an hour of power left so I'll be shutting down to save battery power for emails via the cell phone GPRS.

"When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself fortunate."Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

Spoke a little soon, the radar map shows that there's still that tail of the comma that might come this way.   At least the trees haven't been uprooted.On Sep 13, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Wang wrote:I'm at the southern edge of the storm now, the lake is right at the brim, it's raining like crazy and the wind is steady but nothing like it was last night. I'm without power, the UPS won't last long so I'll be loosing the DSL soon, also the laptop is down to about 45 minutes of power so I'll be just sending this email, checking the news and then shutting down again. Somehow, the trees have made it, I could've sworn they would be pretzels. The wind and rain got to the point where you couldn't see a thing last night but then that may also have been because the power was out so there was no lights. Looks like it's close to being over.Regards,

Guest guest

YEAH!!!!!!

, I am SO glad u r back online and apparently all is OK!!!!

I thought I had seen u were on or near a dry lakebed, and I had NOT good pictures of what might happen with all that rain.

and do hope that you will increase that emergency preparedness food, just in case there is a 'next time'!

Jean

Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:27 PM

Subject: Re: JOHN__

Power came back on. I guess living near a hospital paid off.

Guest guest

hi again!

any damage that you can see yet, ?

and I heard that drinking water levels for you all is low, and they are suggesting boiling water

I also saw the number of lakes apparently being overtaken by the ocean.

Can't do the fresh water any good to have salt water come in, I'd think!

I suppose 'nature' is used to it and somehow the life within survives it until it somehow recovers

Hopefully some of our other folks will also get their power back soon

and hoping all of you are well AND suffered no damage

Jean

Guest guest

I'm in a new subdivision and the fire regulation requires all the new ones to have a surface reservoir of water so that they don't need the excess well water capacity to run the fire hoses with, so I'm on a fake lake.   The water level on the lake is above it's banks, my dock and yard are still dry but the neighbours across the water have water in their yard and their docks are under water.   I can see that a construction site porta potty got blown into the next lake to the north and there's palm fronds blown around.   I haven't gone out to look for damage yet, the mayor is asking everyone to abstain from touring the city since people are getting stuck in high water.   There's about 10 river flood warnings out for the area and the creeks aren't expected to crest for some time still.   We're still getting rain and wind but it's a lot lighter than before.   The news has some amazing pictures of big trees blown over and freeways under water.   The Goode Co BBQ on Kirby has huge gaping holes in their roof and walls but they plan on opening today anyway, guess the holes will give it a rustic wet look.   They've closed the downtown core for damage evaluation, they're showing pictures of skyscrapers with glass missing.That was Clear Lake which they showed on TV, it's not a fresh water lake but rather more like a brackish lagoon connected to the sea, basically a harbour community.   The storm surge did push all the way up Brazos Bayou to US-59.   Brazos and US-59 would be in the far SW of town so that's pretty far for the surge to go.   The bayous have pretty nasty water so whatever life is in there could probably take a brief exposure to salt water.The boil order is for those on the city water supply because one of the major pump stations has no power so they don't have enough pressure.   They're asking people to not take baths and to drink bottled water if they have them and to boil if they don't.   We're in a separate MUD district which has two wells of it's own so we seem to be unaffected, besides I didn't hear the mayor ask people to abstain from washing till after I took a shower.Regards,On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:20 PM, gettingthere35 wrote:hi again!any damage that you can see yet, ?and I heard that drinking water levels for you all is low, and they are suggesting boiling water I also saw the number of lakes apparently being overtaken by the ocean.Can't do the fresh water any good to have salt water come in, I'd think!I suppose 'nature' is used to it and somehow the life within survives it until it somehow recovers Hopefully some of our other folks will also get their power back soon and hoping all of you are well AND suffered no damageJeanFrom:  WangSent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:27 PMTo:  Subject: Re: JOHN__Power came back on. I guess living near a hospital paid off.

Guest guest

I'm in a new subdivision and the fire regulation requires all the new ones to have a surface reservoir of water so that they don't need the excess well water capacity to run the fire hoses with, so I'm on a fake lake.   The water level on the lake is above it's banks, my dock and yard are still dry but the neighbours across the water have water in their yard and their docks are under water.   I can see that a construction site porta potty got blown into the next lake to the north and there's palm fronds blown around.   I haven't gone out to look for damage yet, the mayor is asking everyone to abstain from touring the city since people are getting stuck in high water.   There's about 10 river flood warnings out for the area and the creeks aren't expected to crest for some time still.   We're still getting rain and wind but it's a lot lighter than before.   The news has some amazing pictures of big trees blown over and freeways under water.   The Goode Co BBQ on Kirby has huge gaping holes in their roof and walls but they plan on opening today anyway, guess the holes will give it a rustic wet look.   They've closed the downtown core for damage evaluation, they're showing pictures of skyscrapers with glass missing.That was Clear Lake which they showed on TV, it's not a fresh water lake but rather more like a brackish lagoon connected to the sea, basically a harbour community.   The storm surge did push all the way up Brazos Bayou to US-59.   Brazos and US-59 would be in the far SW of town so that's pretty far for the surge to go.   The bayous have pretty nasty water so whatever life is in there could probably take a brief exposure to salt water.The boil order is for those on the city water supply because one of the major pump stations has no power so they don't have enough pressure.   They're asking people to not take baths and to drink bottled water if they have them and to boil if they don't.   We're in a separate MUD district which has two wells of it's own so we seem to be unaffected, besides I didn't hear the mayor ask people to abstain from washing till after I took a shower.Regards,On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:20 PM, gettingthere35 wrote:hi again!any damage that you can see yet, ?and I heard that drinking water levels for you all is low, and they are suggesting boiling water I also saw the number of lakes apparently being overtaken by the ocean.Can't do the fresh water any good to have salt water come in, I'd think!I suppose 'nature' is used to it and somehow the life within survives it until it somehow recovers Hopefully some of our other folks will also get their power back soon and hoping all of you are well AND suffered no damageJeanFrom:  WangSent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 12:27 PMTo:  Subject: Re: JOHN__Power came back on. I guess living near a hospital paid off.

Guest guest

ah good,

I am feeling a bit more relaxed at least about YOU...

I hadn't heard the term 'fake lake' before...

and good to hear that the 'lake' wasn't really all that fresh water and so not much contaminated or whatever

Great that you got a shower before hearing!!

besides that was for the Others...

on the other system...

thanks also for the other picture of what's happening

I wonder what your office looks like. hope ok!

Jean

Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:38 PM

I'm in a new subdivision and the fire regulation requires all the new ones to have a surface reservoir of water so that they don't need the excess well water capacity to run the fire hoses with, so I'm on a fake lake. The water level on the lake is above it's banks, my dock and yard are still dry but the neighbours across the water have water in their yard and their docks are under water. I can see that a construction site porta potty got blown into the next lake to the north and there's palm fronds blown around. I haven't gone out to look for damage yet, the mayor is asking everyone to abstain from touring the city since people are getting stuck in high water. There's about 10 river flood warnings out for the area and the creeks aren't expected to crest for some time still. We're still getting rain and wind but it's a lot lighter than before. The news has some amazing pictures of big trees blown over and freeways under water. The Goode Co BBQ on Kirby has huge gaping holes in their roof and walls but they plan on opening today anyway, guess the holes will give it a rustic wet look. They've closed the downtown core for damage evaluation, they're showing pictures of skyscrapers with glass missing.

That was Clear Lake which they showed on TV, it's not a fresh water lake but rather more like a brackish lagoon connected to the sea, basically a harbour community. The storm surge did push all the way up Brazos Bayou to US-59. Brazos and US-59 would be in the far SW of town so that's pretty far for the surge to go. The bayous have pretty nasty water so whatever life is in there could probably take a brief exposure to salt water.

The boil order is for those on the city water supply because one of the major pump stations has no power so they don't have enough pressure. They're asking people to not take baths and to drink bottled water if they have them and to boil if they don't. We're in a separate MUD district which has two wells of it's own so we seem to be unaffected, besides I didn't hear the mayor ask people to abstain from washing till after I took a shower.

Regards,

On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:20 PM, gettingthere35 wrote:

hi again!

and I heard that drinking water levels for you all is low, and they are suggesting boiling water

I suppose 'nature' is used to it and somehow the life within survives it until it somehow recovers

Jean

Guest guest

ah good,

I am feeling a bit more relaxed at least about YOU...

I hadn't heard the term 'fake lake' before...

and good to hear that the 'lake' wasn't really all that fresh water and so not much contaminated or whatever

Great that you got a shower before hearing!!

besides that was for the Others...

on the other system...

thanks also for the other picture of what's happening

I wonder what your office looks like. hope ok!

Jean

Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:38 PM

I'm in a new subdivision and the fire regulation requires all the new ones to have a surface reservoir of water so that they don't need the excess well water capacity to run the fire hoses with, so I'm on a fake lake. The water level on the lake is above it's banks, my dock and yard are still dry but the neighbours across the water have water in their yard and their docks are under water. I can see that a construction site porta potty got blown into the next lake to the north and there's palm fronds blown around. I haven't gone out to look for damage yet, the mayor is asking everyone to abstain from touring the city since people are getting stuck in high water. There's about 10 river flood warnings out for the area and the creeks aren't expected to crest for some time still. We're still getting rain and wind but it's a lot lighter than before. The news has some amazing pictures of big trees blown over and freeways under water. The Goode Co BBQ on Kirby has huge gaping holes in their roof and walls but they plan on opening today anyway, guess the holes will give it a rustic wet look. They've closed the downtown core for damage evaluation, they're showing pictures of skyscrapers with glass missing.

That was Clear Lake which they showed on TV, it's not a fresh water lake but rather more like a brackish lagoon connected to the sea, basically a harbour community. The storm surge did push all the way up Brazos Bayou to US-59. Brazos and US-59 would be in the far SW of town so that's pretty far for the surge to go. The bayous have pretty nasty water so whatever life is in there could probably take a brief exposure to salt water.

The boil order is for those on the city water supply because one of the major pump stations has no power so they don't have enough pressure. They're asking people to not take baths and to drink bottled water if they have them and to boil if they don't. We're in a separate MUD district which has two wells of it's own so we seem to be unaffected, besides I didn't hear the mayor ask people to abstain from washing till after I took a shower.

Regards,

On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:20 PM, gettingthere35 wrote:

hi again!

Jean

Guest guest

I grew up in Florida and was always taught that the back side of a hurricane

was the worst of the weather in fact during , my mother's house was in

the path of the eye, we had no problem with the front side then there was

clear weather while we were in the eye then the back side winds took out a

large silk oak in her back yard.

That is why when someone wrote in about the freighter being safe because

they had gone through the eye to the backside I thought that was a very

strange remark and mentioned to my hubby that I found it weird to state that

when I always was taught that the back side was the worst place to be in a

hurricane (he is from Texas but places where I think he never ran into a

hurricane, he taught me about tornadoes, I teach him about tropical storms,

tropical depressions and hurricanes).

T. aka Pegasus

-- Re: JOHN__

Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it may

have been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightning

is usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have a

real loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nice

restaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't risk

having the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four year

old child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but I

didn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at the

restaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were found

outside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout of

strengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the winds

are still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll die

down before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. The

wind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,

the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land the

storm can't strengthen.

Regards,

On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129@... wrote:

It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weather

channel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... They

just said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have power

where you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could be

a category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph...

Helen

just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the

other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far

away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty

famous restaurant in midtown, it was in " Terms of Endearment " .

" When life's problems seem overwhelming,

look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider

yourself fortunate. "

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the

latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

I grew up in Florida and was always taught that the back side of a hurricane

was the worst of the weather in fact during , my mother's house was in

the path of the eye, we had no problem with the front side then there was

clear weather while we were in the eye then the back side winds took out a

large silk oak in her back yard.

That is why when someone wrote in about the freighter being safe because

they had gone through the eye to the backside I thought that was a very

strange remark and mentioned to my hubby that I found it weird to state that

when I always was taught that the back side was the worst place to be in a

hurricane (he is from Texas but places where I think he never ran into a

hurricane, he taught me about tornadoes, I teach him about tropical storms,

tropical depressions and hurricanes).

T. aka Pegasus

-- Re: JOHN__

Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it may

have been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightning

is usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have a

real loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nice

restaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't risk

having the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four year

old child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but I

didn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at the

restaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were found

outside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout of

strengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the winds

are still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll die

down before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. The

wind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,

the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land the

storm can't strengthen.

Regards,

On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129@... wrote:

It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weather

channel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... They

just said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have power

where you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could be

a category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph...

Helen

just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the

other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far

away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty

famous restaurant in midtown, it was in " Terms of Endearment " .

" When life's problems seem overwhelming,

look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider

yourself fortunate. "

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the

latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

The winds and the tornados are usually on the front side, the bulk of the bad weather doesn't always stay on the backside, with Edouard, it wrapped over to the front as it passed by, even so, it's usually mostly rain on the backside and I guess it's a matter of the intensity dropping rather than increasing.   It was getting really fierce on the front side as the eyewall approached, then the power went out, couldn't see anything so I went to sleep despite the noise, when I woke, we were past the eye and almost out of the band, still couldn't see anything though.   The water level in the lake appears to be dropping, my neighbors docks have resurfaced.   My oak trees are still upright, the little plants are tilted over but easily righted, and the medium size plants are tilted over and won't stay upright when I lift them back up, will have to figure out how to right those.   about two feet of my property on the waterfront is in the lake still.   People are going stir crazy and have been driving around, there's a lineup at Randalls and HEB, Krogers, Walmart and CVS are closed,  Walgreens is open and busy, there's one Chinese restaurant open, it's tempting to call in some take out.   I guess it's a matter of what risks matters more, for the freighter, they could deal with the heavy rain of the backside easier than the high winds on the front side.   They also say that Ike was really unusual in terms of it's eye and eyewall.On Sep 13, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Pegasus wrote:I grew up in Florida and was always taught that the back side of a hurricanewas the worst of the weather in fact during , my mother's house was inthe path of the eye, we had no problem with the front side then there wasclear weather while we were in the eye then the back side winds took out alarge silk oak in her back yard. That is why when someone wrote in about the freighter being safe becausethey had gone through the eye to the backside I thought that was a verystrange remark and mentioned to my hubby that I found it weird to state thatwhen I always was taught that the back side was the worst place to be in ahurricane (he is from Texas but places where I think he never ran into ahurricane, he taught me about tornadoes, I teach him about tropical storms,tropical depressions and hurricanes).  T. aka Pegasus -- Re: JOHN__ Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it mayhave been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightningis usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have areal loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nicerestaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't riskhaving the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four yearold child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but Ididn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at therestaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were foundoutside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout ofstrengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the windsare still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll diedown before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. Thewind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land thestorm can't strengthen. Regards,  On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129aol wrote: , It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weatherchannel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... Theyjust said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have powerwhere you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could bea category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph... Helen just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty famous restaurant in midtown, it was in "Terms of Endearment". "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consideryourself fortunate." Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus thelatest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. 

Guest guest

The winds and the tornados are usually on the front side, the bulk of the bad weather doesn't always stay on the backside, with Edouard, it wrapped over to the front as it passed by, even so, it's usually mostly rain on the backside and I guess it's a matter of the intensity dropping rather than increasing.   It was getting really fierce on the front side as the eyewall approached, then the power went out, couldn't see anything so I went to sleep despite the noise, when I woke, we were past the eye and almost out of the band, still couldn't see anything though.   The water level in the lake appears to be dropping, my neighbors docks have resurfaced.   My oak trees are still upright, the little plants are tilted over but easily righted, and the medium size plants are tilted over and won't stay upright when I lift them back up, will have to figure out how to right those.   about two feet of my property on the waterfront is in the lake still.   People are going stir crazy and have been driving around, there's a lineup at Randalls and HEB, Krogers, Walmart and CVS are closed,  Walgreens is open and busy, there's one Chinese restaurant open, it's tempting to call in some take out.   I guess it's a matter of what risks matters more, for the freighter, they could deal with the heavy rain of the backside easier than the high winds on the front side.   They also say that Ike was really unusual in terms of it's eye and eyewall.On Sep 13, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Pegasus wrote:I grew up in Florida and was always taught that the back side of a hurricanewas the worst of the weather in fact during , my mother's house was inthe path of the eye, we had no problem with the front side then there wasclear weather while we were in the eye then the back side winds took out alarge silk oak in her back yard. That is why when someone wrote in about the freighter being safe becausethey had gone through the eye to the backside I thought that was a verystrange remark and mentioned to my hubby that I found it weird to state thatwhen I always was taught that the back side was the worst place to be in ahurricane (he is from Texas but places where I think he never ran into ahurricane, he taught me about tornadoes, I teach him about tropical storms,tropical depressions and hurricanes).  T. aka Pegasus -- Re: JOHN__ Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it mayhave been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightningis usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have areal loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nicerestaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't riskhaving the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four yearold child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but Ididn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at therestaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were foundoutside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout ofstrengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the windsare still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll diedown before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. Thewind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land thestorm can't strengthen. Regards,  On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129aol wrote: , It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weatherchannel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... Theyjust said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have powerwhere you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could bea category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph... Helen just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty famous restaurant in midtown, it was in "Terms of Endearment". "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consideryourself fortunate." Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus thelatest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. 

Guest guest

Glad you got your power back and that you are safe!!! Must have been one wild ride... The pictures they show on TV are so devastating :o( Yes the hospitals and such get their power first, lucky you... We're usually the last to get ours back... We got over 2"s rain today, tomorrow night we're suppose to get your hurricane, they already have flood watches posted...

Now get some much needed sleep!

((( Happy Hugs )))Helen

"When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself fortunate."Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

Glad you got your power back and that you are safe!!! Must have been one wild ride... The pictures they show on TV are so devastating :o( Yes the hospitals and such get their power first, lucky you... We're usually the last to get ours back... We got over 2"s rain today, tomorrow night we're suppose to get your hurricane, they already have flood watches posted...

Now get some much needed sleep!

((( Happy Hugs )))Helen

Guest guest

Hello HelenSorry to hear that Ike's headed your way.   We slowed him down as much as we could.   We still have ten flood warnings, eleven river flood warnings and one coastal flood statement in effect.   Guess it'll be a while for all this water to drain out of the area.The ferocity of the winds were incredible, I can't possibly imagine anyone being able to withstand such winds.   The lake has receded, the neighbour's docks have surfaced and many of the neighbours have broken out their peddle boats and are peddling around the neighborhood.   Walgreens, Krogers, Randalls and HEB are opened out here but they all have huge lines as everyone seems to have cabin fever.   The traffic is horrible out there.    Tonia, that girl that was asking for money to evacuate her mom came over, she says that two of her windows blew out and she has no power and would like to stay here for a while, problem is she's asking for more money because she wants to send her children with her mom out to Dempsey.   She was also low on gas, I had filled her tank before the storm since she had no gas and now she was at half a tank, when I asked why, she said that she slept in the truck for the AC which is a very silly and dangerous thing to do, you can easily succumb to CO by sleeping in a car with the engine running.   I gave her the extra 3 gallons that I had, it's dangerous to keep gasoline around in those plastic fuel cans since they're only designed for you to carry a gallon or two from a gas station back to your car, not to transport or store for any length of time.   I've been meaning to get some decent military grade metal gas cans for some time now but they have to be ordered in.I would expect that gasoline will be in short supply for the next couple of weeks.   With so many people without electricity, a lot of people will be running generators and few are bright enough to get the tri-fuel generators or the tri-fuel conversions so that they can run the generators off the natural gas line instead of constantly trying to get more gas.   It always seems dangerous to me to be trying to refill those tiny gas tanks while the generator is still hot and/or running.   I had been thinking about saving up for a generator and transfer switch setup but didn't think that I could afford something like that till next year but if the power came back this quickly, maybe I won't need a generator set up here.   At the very least, that project can have it's priority lowered.They have the downtown core blockaded and you have to identify yourself and explain where you are going and why before they'll let you in.   The company has a 1-800 emergency number to call to find out what's going on and they say that most of the office is intact except for a few offices.   Doesn't sound like my office was one of the ones affected so that's good.   Officially, the office will be closed on Monday, a mixed blessing, I'm sure it's best to just stay home for the next few days but I get less money if I don't have billable hours.Regards,On Sep 14, 2008, at 12:29 AM, angelbear1129@... wrote:Glad you got your power back and that you are safe!!!  Must have been one wild ride...  The pictures they show on TV are so devastating :o(  Yes the hospitals and such get their power first, lucky you...  We're usually the last to get ours back...  We got over 2"s rain today, tomorrow night we're suppose to get your hurricane, they already have flood watches posted...Now get some much needed sleep!((( Happy Hugs )))HelenPower came back on. I guess living near a hospital paid off. "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself fortunate."Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

Hello HelenSorry to hear that Ike's headed your way.   We slowed him down as much as we could.   We still have ten flood warnings, eleven river flood warnings and one coastal flood statement in effect.   Guess it'll be a while for all this water to drain out of the area.The ferocity of the winds were incredible, I can't possibly imagine anyone being able to withstand such winds.   The lake has receded, the neighbour's docks have surfaced and many of the neighbours have broken out their peddle boats and are peddling around the neighborhood.   Walgreens, Krogers, Randalls and HEB are opened out here but they all have huge lines as everyone seems to have cabin fever.   The traffic is horrible out there.    Tonia, that girl that was asking for money to evacuate her mom came over, she says that two of her windows blew out and she has no power and would like to stay here for a while, problem is she's asking for more money because she wants to send her children with her mom out to Dempsey.   She was also low on gas, I had filled her tank before the storm since she had no gas and now she was at half a tank, when I asked why, she said that she slept in the truck for the AC which is a very silly and dangerous thing to do, you can easily succumb to CO by sleeping in a car with the engine running.   I gave her the extra 3 gallons that I had, it's dangerous to keep gasoline around in those plastic fuel cans since they're only designed for you to carry a gallon or two from a gas station back to your car, not to transport or store for any length of time.   I've been meaning to get some decent military grade metal gas cans for some time now but they have to be ordered in.I would expect that gasoline will be in short supply for the next couple of weeks.   With so many people without electricity, a lot of people will be running generators and few are bright enough to get the tri-fuel generators or the tri-fuel conversions so that they can run the generators off the natural gas line instead of constantly trying to get more gas.   It always seems dangerous to me to be trying to refill those tiny gas tanks while the generator is still hot and/or running.   I had been thinking about saving up for a generator and transfer switch setup but didn't think that I could afford something like that till next year but if the power came back this quickly, maybe I won't need a generator set up here.   At the very least, that project can have it's priority lowered.They have the downtown core blockaded and you have to identify yourself and explain where you are going and why before they'll let you in.   The company has a 1-800 emergency number to call to find out what's going on and they say that most of the office is intact except for a few offices.   Doesn't sound like my office was one of the ones affected so that's good.   Officially, the office will be closed on Monday, a mixed blessing, I'm sure it's best to just stay home for the next few days but I get less money if I don't have billable hours.Regards,On Sep 14, 2008, at 12:29 AM, angelbear1129@... wrote:Glad you got your power back and that you are safe!!!  Must have been one wild ride...  The pictures they show on TV are so devastating :o(  Yes the hospitals and such get their power first, lucky you...  We're usually the last to get ours back...  We got over 2"s rain today, tomorrow night we're suppose to get your hurricane, they already have flood watches posted...Now get some much needed sleep!((( Happy Hugs )))HelenPower came back on. I guess living near a hospital paid off. "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself fortunate."Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

I know this won't sound politically Correct yes my heart goes out to those who lost every thing in the storms but you know there is so many resources out there fort them any thing they need is there for them I lost my house in a fire a little over a month ago the end of July I guess getting close to 2 moths ago you loose stuff that way there is nothing you need a place to stay you pay for it you need all new stuff you pay for it the Govt. is not giving you free hand outs every one isn't handing you stuff they need to learn what it is like to lose every thing and not have any one there to hand out stuff to you for free

Re: JOHN__ Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it mayhave been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightningis usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have areal loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nicerestaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't riskhaving the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four yearold child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but Ididn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at therestaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were foundoutside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout ofstrengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the windsare still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll diedown before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. Thewind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land thestorm can't strengthen. Regards, On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129aol wrote: , It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weatherchannel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... Theyjust said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have powerwhere you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could bea category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph... Helen just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty famous restaurant in midtown, it was in "Terms of Endearment". "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consideryourself fortunate." Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus thelatest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

Hello DaveYes, I would agree.    When tragedy befalls an individual or a small group, politicians are not motivated to assist but when it befalls a large group of people, then they take the opportunity of the media light to be seen as caring and helpful, perhaps even staging a little temper tantrum to attract attention.   Even so, it's only a token assistance that rarely gets to those truly in need.    Yesterday, FEMA opened several POD's (Point of Distribution) handing out a bag of ice, a case of water and a box of MRE's but when you think about it, handing out a few thousand care packets like that is just a drop in the ocean when there's 4 million people in the metropolitan area and there's no criteria to ensure it's getting to those most in need.   I thought it was disgusting to see the line up of trucks and SUV's of people collecting the handouts, if they have the resources to own a vehicle and drive, surely they could've stocked a few cans of beans and soup, prior to the hurricane, to live for a few days.   People could've easily bagged ice from the ice-maker and filled the bathtub with water prior to the storm.  When you think about it, most of the damage has been to beach houses which are essentially luxury items; is it truly fair for the government to be compensating for the loss of a "vacation" home?   I can see if the house is the primary residence, perhaps belonging to a retired couple who desired to be by the sea because then that luxury is the culmination of their life and is probably truly all that they have but if it's someone's weekend vacation home then why should they be compensated for the loss...   Ultimately, the motivations behind the charitable acts of any organization is duplicitous at best.   Assistance from insurance companies are motivated by profit and they make more money the fewer claims they have to honour  and assistance from governments are politically motivated in that they want to appear to be caring and quick to respond hence the situation must be widespread and "newsworthy".   Even religious groups often have self-validation as a motive in that some individuals in the group want to feel morally superior over those without the same beliefs or without the same social standing within the group.   One can only hope that the individual disasters that are tolerable by the insurance companies business model only ends when the scale of the disaster motivates politicians to respond so that at least one or the other may help.Certainly, there are people who are in dire need of assistance as a result of Ike but in general, most do not, yet still there's line ups for the FEMA MRE handouts.   I think those POD packages would've been better off at the shelters, taken to those who had registered as special needs prior to the hurricane and distributed at the food banks,  Certainly not to cars passing by at a location announced on the morning radio.From my perspective, I count myself lucky that I've received so little damage and so little inconvenience (only six hours of power outage in my neighbourhood) as the force of the storm was truly remarkable.    I won't be lining up for the free giveaways.   I'm sure that my attitude is the wrong one to take from the viewpoint of personal advantage as when the time does come when I truly need assistance, chances are that no one will be motivated to help.   I really should learn to "work the system" but I'm too pig headed in terms of what I believe to be right to do so.Regards,P.S.Those boxes of MRE's are about $100 of food in each box (12 meals)On Sep 15, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Dave Fales wrote:I know this won't sound politically Correct yes my heart goes out to those who lost every thing in the storms but you know there is so many resources out there fort them any thing they need is there for them I lost my house in a fire a little over a month ago the end of July I guess getting close to 2 moths ago you loose stuff that way there is nothing you need a place to stay you pay for it you need all new stuff you pay for it the Govt. is not giving you free hand outs every one isn't handing you stuff they need to learn what it is like to lose every thing and not have any one there to hand out stuff to you for free Re: JOHN__ Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it mayhave been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightningis usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have areal loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nicerestaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't riskhaving the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four yearold child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but Ididn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at therestaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were foundoutside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout ofstrengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the windsare still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll diedown before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. Thewind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land thestorm can't strengthen. Regards,  On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129aol wrote: , It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weatherchannel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... Theyjust said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have powerwhere you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could bea category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph... Helen just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty famous restaurant in midtown, it was in "Terms of Endearment". "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consideryourself fortunate." Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus thelatest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. 

Guest guest

Hello DaveYes, I would agree.    When tragedy befalls an individual or a small group, politicians are not motivated to assist but when it befalls a large group of people, then they take the opportunity of the media light to be seen as caring and helpful, perhaps even staging a little temper tantrum to attract attention.   Even so, it's only a token assistance that rarely gets to those truly in need.    Yesterday, FEMA opened several POD's (Point of Distribution) handing out a bag of ice, a case of water and a box of MRE's but when you think about it, handing out a few thousand care packets like that is just a drop in the ocean when there's 4 million people in the metropolitan area and there's no criteria to ensure it's getting to those most in need.   I thought it was disgusting to see the line up of trucks and SUV's of people collecting the handouts, if they have the resources to own a vehicle and drive, surely they could've stocked a few cans of beans and soup, prior to the hurricane, to live for a few days.   People could've easily bagged ice from the ice-maker and filled the bathtub with water prior to the storm.  When you think about it, most of the damage has been to beach houses which are essentially luxury items; is it truly fair for the government to be compensating for the loss of a "vacation" home?   I can see if the house is the primary residence, perhaps belonging to a retired couple who desired to be by the sea because then that luxury is the culmination of their life and is probably truly all that they have but if it's someone's weekend vacation home then why should they be compensated for the loss...   Ultimately, the motivations behind the charitable acts of any organization is duplicitous at best.   Assistance from insurance companies are motivated by profit and they make more money the fewer claims they have to honour  and assistance from governments are politically motivated in that they want to appear to be caring and quick to respond hence the situation must be widespread and "newsworthy".   Even religious groups often have self-validation as a motive in that some individuals in the group want to feel morally superior over those without the same beliefs or without the same social standing within the group.   One can only hope that the individual disasters that are tolerable by the insurance companies business model only ends when the scale of the disaster motivates politicians to respond so that at least one or the other may help.Certainly, there are people who are in dire need of assistance as a result of Ike but in general, most do not, yet still there's line ups for the FEMA MRE handouts.   I think those POD packages would've been better off at the shelters, taken to those who had registered as special needs prior to the hurricane and distributed at the food banks,  Certainly not to cars passing by at a location announced on the morning radio.From my perspective, I count myself lucky that I've received so little damage and so little inconvenience (only six hours of power outage in my neighbourhood) as the force of the storm was truly remarkable.    I won't be lining up for the free giveaways.   I'm sure that my attitude is the wrong one to take from the viewpoint of personal advantage as when the time does come when I truly need assistance, chances are that no one will be motivated to help.   I really should learn to "work the system" but I'm too pig headed in terms of what I believe to be right to do so.Regards,P.S.Those boxes of MRE's are about $100 of food in each box (12 meals)On Sep 15, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Dave Fales wrote:I know this won't sound politically Correct yes my heart goes out to those who lost every thing in the storms but you know there is so many resources out there fort them any thing they need is there for them I lost my house in a fire a little over a month ago the end of July I guess getting close to 2 moths ago you loose stuff that way there is nothing you need a place to stay you pay for it you need all new stuff you pay for it the Govt. is not giving you free hand outs every one isn't handing you stuff they need to learn what it is like to lose every thing and not have any one there to hand out stuff to you for free Re: JOHN__ Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it mayhave been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightningis usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have areal loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nicerestaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't riskhaving the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four yearold child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but Ididn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at therestaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were foundoutside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout ofstrengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the windsare still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll diedown before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. Thewind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land thestorm can't strengthen. Regards,  On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129aol wrote: , It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weatherchannel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... Theyjust said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have powerwhere you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could bea category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph... Helen just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty famous restaurant in midtown, it was in "Terms of Endearment". "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consideryourself fortunate." Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus thelatest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com. 

Guest guest

yea but they have pplaces to go they have places that feed them they have funds to help them rebuild go tyhrough what i did there is none of thst your on your own end of sotry

Re: JOHN__ Yeah, I still have power, not even a flicker which is why I thought it mayhave been lightning. But all three were just single flashes while lightningis usually a series of flashes, then again, transformer pops usually have areal loud bang. I hope that restaurant didn't burn down, it's a real nicerestaurant and it's been there for 40 years but they probably can't riskhaving the firefighters put it out. They say that an adult and a four yearold child were injured in the fire, they also said there was a third but Ididn't catch if it was an adult or what. What a child was doing at therestaurant in this weather, I don't know; but they say they were foundoutside the restaurant. The last word was that there was one final bout ofstrengthening which made the storm symmetrical. For some reason, the windsare still strong on the back side which is unusual but they say it'll diedown before it gets to us and it'll just be heavy rain on the back side. Thewind is still howling over here with some rain spitting about. Officially,the eye is only just about to make landfall, once the eye is on land thestorm can't strengthen. Regards, On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:34 AM, angelbear1129aol wrote: , It might be transformers blowing, they've been showing them on the weatherchannel... CNN said there is 3 fires going on right now in Houston... Theyjust said the restaurant burned to the ground... Do you still have powerwhere you are??? They said the storm is still strengthening and it could bea category 3 by the time it hits shore... They just had gusts of 135mph... Helen just saw three blue flashes of light, looks like lightning on the other side of the house but no thunder so it must still be far away. The news says that Brenners is on fire, that's a pretty famous restaurant in midtown, it was in "Terms of Endearment". "When life's problems seem overwhelming, look around and see what other people are coping with. You may consideryourself fortunate." Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus thelatest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.

Guest guest

yea but they have pplaces to go they have places that feed them they have funds to help them rebuild go tyhrough what i did there is none of thst your on your own end of sotry

Guest guest

Thank God to hear that you're safe. I'm surprised that FEMA supplied the area with that amount of items. I live in Florida and WE'RE told to keep enough supplies to keep us going for THREE DAYS!! We are NOT to expect any assistance for three days as those are the days they're search and rescues primarily. I was upset to hear a woman complaining about only receiving enough supplies for one day and not for the entire family. She explained how she was accustomed to her house with air conditioning and her televisions.

During Hurricane NO ONE came to help until one leader asked Where are the Troops?!! Then we received a lot of assistance, but not in all of the effected areas. This was almost a week later and everyone was on their own to survive. I wonder why other areas expect immediate assistance, but we're required to wait for three days. We never receive MRE's and not always do we receive water or ice.

Pleased to hear you back online. Hugs Love & Prayersette

Guest guest

Thank God to hear that you're safe. I'm surprised that FEMA supplied the area with that amount of items. I live in Florida and WE'RE told to keep enough supplies to keep us going for THREE DAYS!! We are NOT to expect any assistance for three days as those are the days they're search and rescues primarily. I was upset to hear a woman complaining about only receiving enough supplies for one day and not for the entire family. She explained how she was accustomed to her house with air conditioning and her televisions.

During Hurricane NO ONE came to help until one leader asked Where are the Troops?!! Then we received a lot of assistance, but not in all of the effected areas. This was almost a week later and everyone was on their own to survive. I wonder why other areas expect immediate assistance, but we're required to wait for three days. We never receive MRE's and not always do we receive water or ice.

Guest guest