RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: How to Peel Garlic Cloves with a Vitamix! - was - garlic question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I archived this post here:Links > Food Preparation and Storage Tips/links/Food_Preparation_and_Storage_Tips_001328221951/

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jun 9, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

I KNOW - it's AWESOME! (I didn't even know the garlic peeling trick until I'd been a demonstrator for 3 years and I learned it from another demonstrator).For those who don't know - cut off the pointy end of a head of garlic, then roll the cloves off of the root end until they are all separated (so you have a lot of paper-covered garlic cloves), then toss them into the vitamix and process on variable speed #1. They will bounce around in there like popping corn. Let 'em bounce for a while then dump them out on a plate, paper towel, cutting board, etc. and pick the papers out of the pile. What remains are peeled garlic cloves and pieces!

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jun 9, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Terry Pogue wrote:

I needed four heads of garlic for my pickles the other day. Thats HEADS not cloves. Can you tell you I loved being able to peel all if that garlic in seconds! TerrySent from my iPadHD

Guest guest

I do it backwards. I slice thru the root end. I find it easier to separate into the cloves. TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Jun 9, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I KNOW - it's AWESOME! (I didn't even know the garlic peeling trick until I'd been a demonstrator for 3 years and I learned it from another demonstrator).For those who don't know - cut off the pointy end of a head of garlic, then roll the cloves off of the root end until they are all separated (so you have a lot of paper-covered garlic cloves), then toss them into the vitamix and process on variable speed #1. They will bounce around in there like popping corn. Let 'em bounce for a while then dump them out on a plate, paper towel, cutting board, etc. and pick the papers out of the pile. What remains are peeled garlic cloves and pieces!

On Jun 9, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Terry Pogue wrote:

I needed four heads of garlic for my pickles the other day. Thats HEADS not cloves. Can you tell you I loved being able to peel all if that garlic in seconds! TerrySent from my iPadHDOn Jun 9, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

I use the same 2 containers all day long in shows and constantly go back and forth between Tortilla Soup (and sometimes Salsa) which both contain garlic - and Smoothies, Ice Cream, apple sauce, etc. with no problem!At home I use a bottle brush and soapy water to clean the container. At shows I use only the soapy water spinning on high method to clean the containers :-)Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)www.BlenderLady.com(AKA the Vitamix Lady :-)<:)))><

On Jun 9, 2012, at 2:16 AM, rengeko wrote:

has anyone had an issue with a garlic taste after making something in the VM? i've only used mine for fruit and greens.

Guest guest

Wouldn't it be possible to use water in the vitamix, too, to float the paper off the garlic and skip the picking out the paper step?  Just wondering.  The dvd shows a water chopping method for cabbage...or would that take away too much flavor?

--

Guest guest

Not a faux pas at all - I'd use whatever works best and easiest - THANKS for sharing!!!

On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Gillespie Jim wrote:

Hello all,I hope I'm not committing a faux pas by sharing this discovery I made. After reading this thread on how to peel garlic, I went surfing. I saw a YouTube video where a guy broke apart an entire head of garlic into individual cloves but didn't peel it. He put all the cloves into a large metal bowl and covered it with another metal bowl. Then, he shook the bowls several times vigorously and very clove was completely peeled! I had to try it myself, and I couldn't believe how well it worked! I realize this suggestion doesn't utilize the Vitamix, but I'll certainly be using lots of garlic for all the soups I plan to make in my Vitamix! My Vitamix has been shipped and I will be receiving it soon. I will try peeling a head of garlic using the blender as well so I can compare which does a better job! Either way, I hate peeling garlic, but now I'm afraid I'll peel too much ! LOLJagman2458 (Jim)

Guest guest

Since you have to use metal bowls, it's very loud. It sounds like one of those fire alarm bells going off! LOlJagman2458 (Jim)On 2012-06-09, at 16:37, Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

Not a faux pas at all - I'd use whatever works best and easiest - THANKS for sharing!!!

On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Gillespie Jim wrote:

Hello all,I hope I'm not committing a faux pas by sharing this discovery I made. After reading this thread on how to peel garlic, I went surfing. I saw a YouTube video where a guy broke apart an entire head of garlic into individual cloves but didn't peel it. He put all the cloves into a large metal bowl and covered it with another metal bowl. Then, he shook the bowls several times vigorously and very clove was completely peeled! I had to try it myself, and I couldn't believe how well it worked! I realize this suggestion doesn't utilize the Vitamix, but I'll certainly be using lots of garlic for all the soups I plan to make in my Vitamix! My Vitamix has been shipped and I will be receiving it soon. I will try peeling a head of garlic using the blender as well so I can compare which does a better job! Either way, I hate peeling garlic, but now I'm afraid I'll peel too much ! LOLJagman2458 (Jim)

Guest guest

I think I have read all the posts about pealing garlic. One thing I did not find

was do you use the DRY container? Maybe I overlooked that bit of info.

Thanks for a great idea.

Bro

> >

> >

> > has anyone had an issue with a garlic taste after making something in the

VM? i've only used mine for fruit and greens.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Because of how the dry container works it would be a tiny bit better in the dry container - but it can work very well in the wet container at the lowest variable speed.How the Dry Container works: /links (click on the folder called "Container Questions")

On Jun 25, 2012, at 10:48 AM, brojamesSch wrote:

I think I have read all the posts about pealing garlic. One thing I did not find was do you use the DRY container? Maybe I overlooked that bit of info.

Thanks for a great idea.

Bro

> >

> >

> > has anyone had an issue with a garlic taste after making something in the VM? i've only used mine for fruit and greens.

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Another tip for garlic.

Once peeled, chop a large amount of peeled cloves. (I buy a 5lb jar of peeled

garlic and do all at same time.)

Arrange some on some plastic wrap and roll it up into the shape of a cigar.

(Pretend you're rolling a joint.)

Put these garlic " cigars " into the freezer.

Now, when you need garlic, unroll the plastic and break off a chunk. Re-wrap and

put cigar back into freezer.

Makes it so much easier to use.