RemedySpot.com

RE: Kneading Dough in the Vitamix - was - Wet vs. Dry Blades....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The way I make pasta dough in the food processor is to add the dry ingredients to the wet and the process is done with a ball forms. With making pasta dough there is no firm recipe as to how much dry goes into the wet. Some days it takes a little more and some less. After the ball has formed and I let it rest for a few minutes I finish the kneading by hand to get the right consistency. The starting of the dough in the food processor saves a lot of time and effort in making dough but it requires both hands to slowly add the flour to the running machine. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Lea Ann SavageSent: Monday, January 30, 2012 6:52 AM Subject: Kneading Dough in the Vitamix - was - Wet vs. Dry Blades.... Hi Tom, Go ahead and try it. You are right there pulsing the on/off button as you make the dough, and as I can recall (from doing it once) the container didn't move at all. My thoughts after doing it (so that I could say that I've done it :-) was that kneading the dough by hand would take just about the same amount of time. Has anyone else made dough in their Vitamix machine? I need to do it again because it's been a while. I don't eat bread (or grains) and it was so hard to make a loaf and watch others eat it… ;-) To make dough, you pulse a few times, take off the lid and scrape the sides of the container, then pulse a few times again, and repeat ad nauseum. Eventually, you get a ball of dough that is bouncing on top of the blades when you pulse… Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 30, 2012, at 5:38 AM, Tom Matuschak wrote: I am sure the Vitamix does a wonderful job of grinding coffee beans but I am not sure you would want this container for just that. I find a dedicated spice grinder or a burr coffee grinder to be perfect for a 10 cup pot of coffee. I received my dry container last week and I am still exploring ways to use it. So far I have coarsely ground whole oats for oatmeal and that turned out great. I like to make my own pasta so I am going to try grinding my own flower and then make the past dough from that. I have read that you can make your dough in the Vitamix but I am a little concerned that the container may fall off the base when dough forms. I have been using my Cuisinart for this chore and when the dense pasta dough forms even this heavy duty appliance shakes a lot. I don't have to worry so much about shaking with the Cuisinart because the bowl is locked to the base. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:57 PM Subject: Re: Wet vs. Dry Blades.... Congratulations! It is rather fabulous, isn't it? I HIGHLY recommend the dry container (you can order one through our group owner, Lea Ann, for 99 with free shipping! It will MORE than pay for itself very quickly, and there is nothing better than freshly ground flour-nothing like storebought flour! I am gluten free, so I make flour from brown rice, beans, quinoa, buckwheat, legumes, almonds, you name it! You don't want to use your wet container for dry things for two reasons-the blades are different and do the exact opposite...where as the wet container pulls things TO the blade, the dry throws things FROM the blade, so you won't get the best result trying to grind dry things in the wet container, or the other way around. It will complete your wonderful investment to go ahead and get the dry container. Also, you can cloud up your container if you DO grind in it, since the hard grains can pit the container and make it harder to clean-not an issue with a dedicated dry container. Again, welcome to the group-glad you have joined us!>> Just bought a new VM at Costco. Happiest guy in the world. Amazing piece of equipment. In 3 days already made a few awesome soups and smoothies. Need advice: how important is it to buy the $99 dry container for grinding coffee, beans, etc., vs just doing it all in the large wet container that came with the VM? Thanks....and this is a great group!!!>