RemedySpot.com

help please!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Long time members have read this, but for all newbies, this is what helped me.

We all had different things help, no person is the same.

For fels naptha if not wanting to cook and make liquid soap, use blender cut

small chunks and grind. Make the powder the consistency you want. For liquid lye

I use the blender making a concentrate then pour in gallon jug and thin. While

making the liquid lye concentrate you can add tea tree oil, peppermint oil, ect.

Be sure and not make so strong it irritates rather than heals. Also taking a

small amount of oil, I prefer olive oil with sulfur, and blend in with liquid

soap. I used flower of sulfur, I preferred this to msm.

> I have found treating yourself important, and natural as possible. For wash I

> use fels naptha it will kill fungus and mites. For body and hair I use liquid

> lye soap, when infested i would add flower of sulfur to liquid lye, especially

> for hair. Hint use small amount of olive oil to mix the flower of sulfur then

> add and blend to liquid lye. I have even left the liquid lye on my hair for

bed. "

> Soak dry hair with liquid lye and let sit. Its just soap it will not hurt you.

> Store bought soap will hurt you! I would use peppermint, tea tree, or plain

> until healed. If mixing flower of sulfur use plain. After good scrub with lye,

> and rinse. Soak in MMS bathes.

>

> I also take flower of sulfur internally and MSM, this is very different from

> MMS. Read and study, then go to war:)

>

> Also treat drains weekly with white distilled vinegar, or MMS solution.

>

> LYE SOAP LOTION - HOW TO MAKE IT ( same process to make shampoo, dish soap and

> plant spray as well )

>

> To make a lotion out of the soap it is really very easy. In fact it is a good

> way to recycle those small pieces left over from the shower. To make the

lotion

> just take several small pieces and mix them with water. We recommend you use

> either a spring water or a distilled water. Something that has the impurities

> removed. Especially if your using the lotion for a skin allergy or something

of

> the like. They put so many things in city water any more you don't know what

you

> may be mixing into your lotion thus maybe even irritating your condition

> further. Also you may need to add a little heat when trying to get the soap

and

> water mix if the pieces are really hard. Not much heat just a bit. Anyway just

> mix in enough water and stir it until you get the consistency you want for

your

> lotion or dish soap or shampoo, whatever it is your making the mix for. Now be

> sure to put your mix into something relatively air tight so it won't dry right

> back out. If you need to take it with you in your purse or something just get

a

> small squeeze bottle or a zip lock bag that your sure won't leak. We have also

> been told if you thin down the solution enough you can use it as a plant spray

> to keep unwanted bugs away from your plants.

>

> To make laundry soap with fels naptha I use 1/3 cup shaved naptha boil with 6

> cups water, add 6 cups cool water. Add borax. Stir for 24 hours can be used

> right away.

>

> Treat outside and anywhere not living attic basement ect with bifen, and

> granules on grass, video below how to treat springtails, also kills mites.

>

> Also bathing in MMS, and for me I take internally as well. Now just taking

> maintenance dose.

>

> Also orange guard worked well for me and is natural. This I used in my car

alot,

> and around bed.

> http://orangeguard.com/

>

> Also spray bedding with wintergreen alcohol and white vinegar before bed, and

> pillows.

>

http://www.walmart.com/ip/-Brands-Wintergreen-70-Isopropyl-Alcohol-16-fl-oz\

\

\

\

> /10423839

>

> Lots of links and reading, good luck. I am cured.

>

> PS you may have lyme many who are attractive to this beast have lyme:( try and

> be tested, however the test are unreliable. Research the testing for lyme and

> you will see some labs are better than others.

>

> http://jimhumble.biz/

> http://www.felsnaptha.com/store-locator

> http://www.felsnaptha.com/

> http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/Fels_Naptha_Soap_p/d1001.htm

> http://debbieshandmadesoap.com/

> http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3031802

> http://www.bugspray.com/article/springtail.html

> http://www.pennherb.com/sulphur

> http://www.pennherb.com/search?mp=s & se=msm

> http://www.animedproducts.com/images/MSMPure2006.pdf

> http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW851/ItemDetail

>

>

> i was wondering - if i put my clothes / books in garbage bags with mothballs

and left them outside where it is -20C, how long before i can bring them back in

- a month?

>

> i went doctor and he told me that this was bullshit (not kidding) and i was

wasting his time. There is no such thing - not possible. he implied that it is

a nervous problem(ie crazy) i was so discouraged. but i took a bleach bath and

that helps me so far - it brings some minor relieve. i have to clean everything

out but it complicates things when i have caught a flu now.

>

> if i wash with bleach and then steam clean things will that help too?

> please help!!

>

Oh god

Your doctor is totally an ignorant unprofessional man if he used language like

that!

So sorry u arent getting support,most of us in same boat re medical profession.

Take it easy with the flu and the stress u are under.

Things wont always be this way

Hang in there

And take good care!

------------------------------

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 16:35 PST well453 wrote:

>i was wondering - if i put my clothes / books in garbage bags with mothballs

and left them outside where it is -20C, how long before i can bring them back in

- a month?

>

>i went doctor and he told me that this was bullshit (not kidding) and i was

>

>if i wash with bleach and then steam clean things will that help too?

>please help!!

>

HI!Unfortunately freezing degrees (no matter how cold) does not kill mites only make them go dormant, so that will not help...

Sorry to hear about your doctors appointment. We had the same experience.

For us washing with borax and ammonia helped as well as ironing everything.

Good luck!

Cecilia

From: well453 <well453@...>bird mites Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:49 AMSubject: help please!

i was wondering - if i put my clothes / books in garbage bags with mothballs and left them outside where it is -20C, how long before i can bring them back in - a month?i went doctor and he told me that this was bullshit (not kidding) and i was wasting his time. There is no such thing - not possible. he implied that it is a nervous problem(ie crazy) i was so discouraged. but i took a bleach bath and that helps me so far - it brings some minor relieve. i have to clean everything out but it complicates things when i have caught a flu now.if i wash with bleach and then steam clean things will that help too?please help!!

i was wondering - if i put my clothes / books in garbage bags with mothballs and

left them outside where it is -20C, how long before i can bring them back in - a

month?

i went doctor and he told me that this was bullshit (not kidding) and i was

if i wash with bleach and then steam clean things will that help too?

please help!!

This message was responded to already.From: "well453" <well453@...>bird mites Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:27:34 AMSubject: help please!i was wondering - if i put my clothes / books in garbage bags with mothballs and left them outside where it is -20C, how long before i can bring them back in - a month?i went doctor and he told me that this was bullshit (not kidding) and i was wasting his time. There is no such thing - not possible. he implied that it is a nervous problem(ie crazy) i was so discouraged. but i took a bleach bath and that helps me so far - it brings some minor relieve. i have to clean everything out but it complicates things when i have caught a flu now.if i wash with bleach and then steam clean things will that help too?please help!!------------------------------------

Freezing didn't work for mites or springtails, also called snow fleas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_flea

http://birdmites.org/mites.html

>

> i was wondering - if i put my clothes / books in garbage bags with mothballs

- a month?

>

> i went doctor and he told me that this was bullshit (not kidding) and i was

>

> if i wash with bleach and then steam clean things will that help too?

> please help!!

>

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Hello Everyone, I’m a HV in frontline practice, and have been an avid Senate follower for many years.I have a presentation to do at short notice titled “Discuss some of the current challenges and opportunities for children’s nursing.” Could I have some help brainstorming please? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.Thank you all so much, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Margaret ButtigiegSent: 05 May 2012 08:38 Subject: RE: Introduction Hi Lorraine Welcome and that will be very interesting research – look forward to hearing more as it develops. Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lorraine.edmondstonSent: 04 May 2012 22:57 Subject: Introduction Hello everyone,I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child neglect.I'm really looking forward to some good discussions with you all.Warm regards, Lorraine

Guest guest

One of the areas to address would be how to cope with the increased pressure on

community services once more secondary care is pushed out to primary, there

doesn't seem to have been much in the way of preparation for this financially.

CCN teams will need expansion not sure where the workforce will come from.

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Introduction

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in

practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My

research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child

neglect.

I'm really looking forward to some good discussions with you all.

Warm regards, Lorraine

Guest guest

Carolynne, thank you very much - this is so helpful.

Introduction

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10

years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at

UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working

with child neglect.

Warm regards, Lorraine

------------------------------------

Guest guest

Hi ,

You could ask people to dust off their copies of Ivan Illich and delve into the questions of whether increased proficiency in saving infants increases happiness. You could question effectiveness and how that’s measured. Which infants are “saved;†who benefits, at what price, the nature of the bill and who pays.

If this is too abstract and philosophical you could comb through back copies of some of our more popular dailies and try to capture how “brave,†children needing round the clock care and battling against adversity often morph into scroungers who should be grateful they don’t live in India and should pipe down about equal access to services the rest of us take for granted.

You could look at where the current budget for children’s nursing is spent and how that matches need. Then go on to question some of the assumptions that “care in the community,†is necessarily cheaper or whether there is simply a vast pool of need for skilled nursing going unnoticed and unmet.

You could look at the distinction between nursing and care; whether it’s meaningful and where one ends and the other begins. You could look at which funding streams will pay for one or the other or both.

You might suggest that the distinction be ditched and that NURSES hold the budget and that they match needs to skills. That nurses monitor and evaluate those needs since in many cases the needs chronically sick children in the community will not be static but liable to change at short notice and fall in and out of these categories making the effort to define them pretty pointless. To make this work nurses will require autonomy and the confidence to use it.

Best wishes,

Terry McGinn

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:09 PM

Subject: RE: help please!

Hello Everyone,

I’m a HV in frontline practice, and have been an avid Senate follower for many years.

I have a presentation to do at short notice titled “Discuss some of the current challenges and opportunities for children’s nursing.â€

Could I have some help brainstorming please? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you all so much,

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Margaret ButtigiegSent: 05 May 2012 08:38 Subject: RE: Introduction

Hi Lorraine

Welcome and that will be very interesting research – look forward to hearing more as it develops.

Margaret

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lorraine.edmondstonSent: 04 May 2012 22:57 Subject: Introduction

Hello everyone,I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child neglect.I'm really looking forward to some good discussions with you all.Warm regards, Lorraine

Guest guest

Terry, thanks so much – lots of food for thought. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of TERRY MCGINNSent: 06 May 2012 09:07 Subject: Re: RE: help please! Hi ,You could ask people to dust off their copies of Ivan Illich and delve into the questions of whether increased proficiency in saving infants increases happiness. You could question effectiveness and how that’s measured. Which infants are “saved;†who benefits, at what price, the nature of the bill and who pays. If this is too abstract and philosophical you could comb through back copies of some of our more popular dailies and try to capture how “brave,†children needing round the clock care and battling against adversity often morph into scroungers who should be grateful they don’t live in India and should pipe down about equal access to services the rest of us take for granted.You could look at where the current budget for children’s nursing is spent and how that matches need. Then go on to question some of the assumptions that “care in the community,†is necessarily cheaper or whether there is simply a vast pool of need for skilled nursing going unnoticed and unmet.You could look at the distinction between nursing and care; whether it’s meaningful and where one ends and the other begins. You could look at which funding streams will pay for one or the other or both. You might suggest that the distinction be ditched and that NURSES hold the budget and that they match needs to skills. That nurses monitor and evaluate those needs since in many cases the needs chronically sick children in the community will not be static but liable to change at short notice and fall in and out of these categories making the effort to define them pretty pointless. To make this work nurses will require autonomy and the confidence to use it.Best wishes,Terry McGinn From: Noy Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:09 PM Subject: RE: help please! Hello Everyone, I’m a HV in frontline practice, and have been an avid Senate follower for many years.I have a presentation to do at short notice titled “Discuss some of the current challenges and opportunities for children’s nursing.†Could I have some help brainstorming please? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.Thank you all so much, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Margaret ButtigiegSent: 05 May 2012 08:38 Subject: RE: Introduction Hi Lorraine Welcome and that will be very interesting research – look forward to hearing more as it develops.MargaretFrom: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lorraine.edmondstonSent: 04 May 2012 22:57 Subject: Introduction Hello everyone,I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child neglect.I'm really looking forward to some good discussions with you all.Warm regards, Lorraine

Guest guest

Wow, what a lot of interesting thoughts Terry! Before I retired from King's, I was asked to lecture student children's nurses about public health and 'health need,' because their assigned essay for the module was about 'identifying a health need and how you would go about meeting it,' or something like that - the students had enormous difficulty understanding what constituted a health need. I showed them clips from a (then) recent Panorama programme that had focused on Alder Hey Hospital (1) a 14 year old who got drunk repeatedly, stealing money from his Mum's purse to buy cheap spirits, (2) a five year old who was too obese to walk and whose mother fed him constantly, enormous portions but believed he had problems with his glands and (3) a 3 year old who was in as a day case for full dental clearance, having been in the habit of using a bottle of sweet fruit juice as a 'soother' to help her fall asleep. The students focused immediately on 3 year old as having a health need, because there was blood, doctors and nurses in attendance, but they could not see any 'health need' for the other two. Interestingly, in the Panorama programme, they interviewed the hospital director - don't recall if it was a medic of otherwise - who could see the amount of hospital time being taken up by preventable disease, and thought perhaps his hospital might soon need to organise some kind of 'outreach' teams to go put into the community to help mothers understand about things like diet and behaviour . . . On 6 May 2012, at 09:06, TERRY MCGINN wrote: Hi ,You could ask people to dust off their copies of Ivan Illich and delve into the questions of whether increased proficiency in saving infants increases happiness. You could question effectiveness and how that’s measured. Which infants are “saved;” who benefits, at what price, the nature of the bill and who pays. If this is too abstract and philosophical you could comb through back copies of some of our more popular dailies and try to capture how “brave,” children needing round the clock care and battling against adversity often morph into scroungers who should be grateful they don’t live in India and should pipe down about equal access to services the rest of us take for granted.You could look at where the current budget for children’s nursing is spent and how that matches need. Then go on to question some of the assumptions that “care in the community,” is necessarily cheaper or whether there is simply a vast pool of need for skilled nursing going unnoticed and unmet.You could look at the distinction between nursing and care; whether it’s meaningful and where one ends and the other begins. You could look at which funding streams will pay for one or the other or both. You might suggest that the distinction be ditched and that NURSES hold the budget and that they match needs to skills. That nurses monitor and evaluate those needs since in many cases the needs chronically sick children in the community will not be static but liable to change at short notice and fall in and out of these categories making the effort to define them pretty pointless. To make this work nurses will require autonomy and the confidence to use it.Best wishes,Terry McGinn From: Noy Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:09 PM Subject: RE: help please! Hello Everyone, I’m a HV in frontline practice, and have been an avid Senate follower for many years.I have a presentation to do at short notice titled “Discuss some of the current challenges and opportunities for children’s nursing.” Could I have some help brainstorming please? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.Thank you all so much, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Margaret ButtigiegSent: 05 May 2012 08:38 Subject: RE: Introduction Hi Lorraine Welcome and that will be very interesting research – look forward to hearing more as it develops.Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lorraine.edmondstonSent: 04 May 2012 22:57 Subject: Introduction Hello everyone,I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child neglect.I'm really looking forward to some good discussions with you all.Warm regards, Lorraine Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

Hi Interesting conversation – you made me think – it is so interesting when you work so much with health visitors and school nurses who just get prevention and health need – how can they say in basic training nurses learn enough about health promotion etc. to not require so much in hV and sn training. One of our leadership course participants for her Dragons Den innovative project looked at A and E attendances and how parents took children inappropriately and has I know set up some courses for parents to help them understand how to treat minor ailments etc. The money spent by the NHS on these children and the saving s that could be made was incredible – it was a well-researched piece of work. Re children’s nursing – the DH did a report under the labour government and I think the results were published at the end of 2010/early 2011. I have also undertaken a couple of pieces of work round CCNs and they seem mainly to work with palliative patients and long term conditions and complex needs of children. I am not sure the groups I worked with had a great understanding of prevention either. Also I found it quite hard to find any really up to date information about CCNs and expectations on them. There is some on the RCN website but when I did the work it was not very up to date. Anyway have a look at the Dh report as it may give you some ideas. Good luck and best wishes Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 06 May 2012 10:11 Subject: Re: RE: help please! Wow, what a lot of interesting thoughts Terry! Before I retired from King's, I was asked to lecture student children's nurses about public health and 'health need,' because their assigned essay for the module was about 'identifying a health need and how you would go about meeting it,' or something like that - the students had enormous difficulty understanding what constituted a health need. I showed them clips from a (then) recent Panorama programme that had focused on Alder Hey Hospital (1) a 14 year old who got drunk repeatedly, stealing money from his Mum's purse to buy cheap spirits, (2) a five year old who was too obese to walk and whose mother fed him constantly, enormous portions but believed he had problems with his glands and (3) a 3 year old who was in as a day case for full dental clearance, having been in the habit of using a bottle of sweet fruit juice as a 'soother' to help her fall asleep. The students focused immediately on 3 year old as having a health need, because there was blood, doctors and nurses in attendance, but they could not see any 'health need' for the other two. Interestingly, in the Panorama programme, they interviewed the hospital director - don't recall if it was a medic of otherwise - who could see the amount of hospital time being taken up by preventable disease, and thought perhaps his hospital might soon need to organise some kind of 'outreach' teams to go put into the community to help mothers understand about things like diet and behaviour . . . On 6 May 2012, at 09:06, TERRY MCGINN wrote: Hi ,You could ask people to dust off their copies of Ivan Illich and delve into the questions of whether increased proficiency in saving infants increases happiness. You could question effectiveness and how that’s measured. Which infants are “saved;” who benefits, at what price, the nature of the bill and who pays. If this is too abstract and philosophical you could comb through back copies of some of our more popular dailies and try to capture how “brave,” children needing round the clock care and battling against adversity often morph into scroungers who should be grateful they don’t live in India and should pipe down about equal access to services the rest of us take for granted.You could look at where the current budget for children’s nursing is spent and how that matches need. Then go on to question some of the assumptions that “care in the community,” is necessarily cheaper or whether there is simply a vast pool of need for skilled nursing going unnoticed and unmet.You could look at the distinction between nursing and care; whether it’s meaningful and where one ends and the other begins. You could look at which funding streams will pay for one or the other or both. You might suggest that the distinction be ditched and that NURSES hold the budget and that they match needs to skills. That nurses monitor and evaluate those needs since in many cases the needs chronically sick children in the community will not be static but liable to change at short notice and fall in and out of these categories making the effort to define them pretty pointless. To make this work nurses will require autonomy and the confidence to use it.Best wishes,Terry McGinn From: Noy Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:09 PM Subject: RE: help please! Hello Everyone, I’m a HV in frontline practice, and have been an avid Senate follower for many years.I have a presentation to do at short notice titled “Discuss some of the current challenges and opportunities for children’s nursing.” Could I have some help brainstorming please? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.Thank you all so much, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Margaret ButtigiegSent: 05 May 2012 08:38 Subject: RE: Introduction Hi Lorraine Welcome and that will be very interesting research – look forward to hearing more as it develops.MargaretFrom: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lorraine.edmondstonSent: 04 May 2012 22:57 Subject: Introduction Hello everyone,I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child neglect.I'm really looking forward to some good discussions with you all.Warm regards, Lorraine Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Guest guest

What a scary set of cases! And they didn't see the implications for

their futures? I wonder if it's about the immediate & instrumental

nature of acute care and the expectations that they fix what's

presenting rather than thinking about the causes or the prognosis.

Keep coming back to Isabel Menzies & her ideas about nurses

protecting themselves from the realities of their patients' pain too.

I always felt bewildered about the hospital based children's nurses

who failed to consider abuse or neglect as being the problem behind

children's injuries and poor health. I can remember the SCRs when

they began to consider the possibility, based on seeing parental

behaviour with the children, but could barely bring themselves to

articulate it, except quietly between themselves. They couldn't talk

about their observations and concerns to social services unless it

went up their chain of command to some senior nurse or a padiatrician

to make their suspicions real and valid. And the cases came to SCR

because the necessary senior bod was away or off duty, so the child

left hospital unhelped.

I appreciated Terry's ideas. I always liked Alan Gewirth and Eva

Kittay's arguments when they argued that if welfare services are not

designed to recognise people with physical and mental impairments as

people and help them to achieve whatever autonomy they could, then

they were essentially reclassifying them as 'not real people', like

children of a lesser god, which in turn opened the possibility that

both the disabled person and their carers could be left to fend for

themselves, or worse. I think that barrier gets breached pretty

often in favour of other fiscal priorities.

<sarahcowley183@...> Date sent: Sun, 6 May 2012 10:11:26

+0100 Subject: Re: RE: help please! Send reply to:

Wow, what a lot of interesting thoughts Terry! Before I retired

from King's, I was asked to lecture student children's nurses about

public health and 'health need,' because their assigned essay for the

module was about 'identifying a health need and how you would go

about meeting it,' or something like that - the students had enormous

difficulty understanding what constituted a health need. I showed

them clips from a (then) recent Panorama programme that had focused

on Alder Hey Hospital (1) a 14 year old who got drunk repeatedly,

stealing money from his Mum's purse to buy cheap spirits, (2) a five

year old who was too obese to walk and whose mother fed him

constantly, enormous portions but believed he had problems with his

glands and (3) a 3 year old who was in as a day case for full dental

clearance, having been in the habit of using a bottle of sweet fruit

juice as a 'soother' to help her fall asleep.

The students focused immediately on 3 year old as having a health

need, because there was blood, doctors and nurses in attendance, but

they could not see any 'health need' for the other two.

Interestingly, in the Panorama programme, they interviewed the

hospital director - don't recall if it was a medic of otherwise - who

could see the amount of hospital time being taken up by preventable

disease, and thought perhaps his hospital might soon need to organise

some kind of 'outreach' teams to go put into the community to help

mothers understand about things like diet and behaviour . . .

On 6 May 2012, at 09:06, TERRY MCGINN wrote:

Guest guest

Hi ,

Not only could you suggest that NURSES hold the budget but as a " think piece " alongside or as a footnote to this suggestion you could explore the notion that " MEDICINE IS PARA NURSING " as set out in the book

" HEALTH is for PEOPLE " by the late DR .

Malcolm

Sent: 06 May 2012 09:06

Subject: Re: RE: help please!

Hi ,

You could ask people to dust off their copies of Ivan Illich and delve into the questions of whether increased proficiency in saving infants increases happiness. You could question effectiveness and how that’s

measured. Which infants are “saved;” who benefits, at what price, the nature of the bill and who pays.

If this is too abstract and philosophical you could comb through back copies of some of our more popular dailies and try to capture how “brave,” children needing round the clock care and battling against adversity

often morph into scroungers who should be grateful they don’t live in India and should pipe down about equal access to services the rest of us take for granted.

You could look at where the current budget for children’s nursing is spent and how that matches need. Then go on to question some of the assumptions that “care in the community,” is necessarily cheaper or whether

there is simply a vast pool of need for skilled nursing going unnoticed and unmet.

You could look at the distinction between nursing and care; whether it’s meaningful and where one ends and the other begins. You could look at which funding streams will pay for one or the other or both.

You might suggest that the distinction be ditched and that NURSES hold the budget and that

they match needs to skills. That nurses monitor and evaluate those needs since in many cases the needs chronically sick children in the community will not be static but liable to change at short notice and fall in and out of these categories making the

effort to define them pretty pointless. To make this work nurses will require autonomy and the confidence to use it.

Best wishes,

Terry McGinn

Noy

Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:09 PM

Subject: RE: help please!

Hello Everyone,

I’m a HV in frontline practice, and have been an avid Senate follower for many years.

I have a presentation to do at short notice titled “Discuss some of the current challenges and opportunities for children’s nursing.”

Could I have some help brainstorming please? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you all so much,

On Behalf Of Margaret Buttigieg

Sent: 05 May 2012 08:38

Subject: RE: Introduction

Hi Lorraine

Welcome and that will be very interesting research – look forward to hearing more as it develops.

Margaret

On Behalf Of lorraine.edmondston

Sent: 04 May 2012 22:57

Subject: Introduction

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child neglect.

Warm regards, Lorraine

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the

sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents:

to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be accessed anywhere

********************************************************************************************************************

Guest guest

Margaret , Malcolm – many thanks for your suggestions. The task is done! From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Margaret ButtigiegSent: 06 May 2012 10:51 Subject: RE: RE: help please! Hi Interesting conversation – you made me think – it is so interesting when you work so much with health visitors and school nurses who just get prevention and health need – how can they say in basic training nurses learn enough about health promotion etc. to not require so much in hV and sn training. One of our leadership course participants for her Dragons Den innovative project looked at A and E attendances and how parents took children inappropriately and has I know set up some courses for parents to help them understand how to treat minor ailments etc. The money spent by the NHS on these children and the saving s that could be made was incredible – it was a well-researched piece of work. Re children’s nursing – the DH did a report under the labour government and I think the results were published at the end of 2010/early 2011. I have also undertaken a couple of pieces of work round CCNs and they seem mainly to work with palliative patients and long term conditions and complex needs of children. I am not sure the groups I worked with had a great understanding of prevention either. Also I found it quite hard to find any really up to date information about CCNs and expectations on them. There is some on the RCN website but when I did the work it was not very up to date. Anyway have a look at the Dh report as it may give you some ideas. Good luck and best wishes Margaret From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 06 May 2012 10:11 Subject: Re: RE: help please! Wow, what a lot of interesting thoughts Terry! Before I retired from King's, I was asked to lecture student children's nurses about public health and 'health need,' because their assigned essay for the module was about 'identifying a health need and how you would go about meeting it,' or something like that - the students had enormous difficulty understanding what constituted a health need. I showed them clips from a (then) recent Panorama programme that had focused on Alder Hey Hospital (1) a 14 year old who got drunk repeatedly, stealing money from his Mum's purse to buy cheap spirits, (2) a five year old who was too obese to walk and whose mother fed him constantly, enormous portions but believed he had problems with his glands and (3) a 3 year old who was in as a day case for full dental clearance, having been in the habit of using a bottle of sweet fruit juice as a 'soother' to help her fall asleep. The students focused immediately on 3 year old as having a health need, because there was blood, doctors and nurses in attendance, but they could not see any 'health need' for the other two. Interestingly, in the Panorama programme, they interviewed the hospital director - don't recall if it was a medic of otherwise - who could see the amount of hospital time being taken up by preventable disease, and thought perhaps his hospital might soon need to organise some kind of 'outreach' teams to go put into the community to help mothers understand about things like diet and behaviour . . . On 6 May 2012, at 09:06, TERRY MCGINN wrote: Hi ,You could ask people to dust off their copies of Ivan Illich and delve into the questions of whether increased proficiency in saving infants increases happiness. You could question effectiveness and how that’s measured. Which infants are “saved;” who benefits, at what price, the nature of the bill and who pays. If this is too abstract and philosophical you could comb through back copies of some of our more popular dailies and try to capture how “brave,” children needing round the clock care and battling against adversity often morph into scroungers who should be grateful they don’t live in India and should pipe down about equal access to services the rest of us take for granted.You could look at where the current budget for children’s nursing is spent and how that matches need. Then go on to question some of the assumptions that “care in the community,” is necessarily cheaper or whether there is simply a vast pool of need for skilled nursing going unnoticed and unmet.You could look at the distinction between nursing and care; whether it’s meaningful and where one ends and the other begins. You could look at which funding streams will pay for one or the other or both. You might suggest that the distinction be ditched and that NURSES hold the budget and that they match needs to skills. That nurses monitor and evaluate those needs since in many cases the needs chronically sick children in the community will not be static but liable to change at short notice and fall in and out of these categories making the effort to define them pretty pointless. To make this work nurses will require autonomy and the confidence to use it.Best wishes,Terry McGinn From: Noy Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:09 PM Subject: RE: help please! Hello Everyone, I’m a HV in frontline practice, and have been an avid Senate follower for many years.I have a presentation to do at short notice titled “Discuss some of the current challenges and opportunities for children’s nursing.” Could I have some help brainstorming please? Any and all suggestions gratefully received.Thank you all so much, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Margaret ButtigiegSent: 05 May 2012 08:38 Subject: RE: Introduction Hi Lorraine Welcome and that will be very interesting research – look forward to hearing more as it develops.MargaretFrom: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lorraine.edmondstonSent: 04 May 2012 22:57 Subject: Introduction Hello everyone,I would like to introduce myself as a new member of the group. After 10 years in practice I am now a first year full time PhD research student at UCLan. My research is concerned with health visitors experiences of working with child neglect.I'm really looking forward to some good discussions with you all.Warm regards, Lorraine Cowleysarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

We had to appeal a medical procedure our daughter had done.The doctor sent several emails explaining why it was medically necessary.(she has a port wine stain on her face that is growing.)It was eventually approved.If you don't mind me asking where did you go to get your first cast done.We live in Florida too and are going to apply to Shriners.Best, Sent from my iPhoneOn Aug 1, 2012, at 18:11, Jess Hicks <jshicks2005@...> wrote:

My son had his first cast put on in June 19th. He is due for a cast change in 2 weeks. I just got a letter from out insurance saying they denied our claimed for the procedure. They said it was an unproven procedure (not enough studies to show that it works) so they will not cover it. We are military so I'm not sure what to do. I'm in north Florida.

Thanks

Hicks

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

=

Guest guest

Appeal it. I think your doc will need to write a letter. There is a specific

code that needs to be used when filing. I don't know what it is.... But others

on the site do and I'm sure they will see this post and comment:) You may need

to appeal more than once.

Tame

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 1, 2012, at 7:11 PM, Jess Hicks <jshicks2005@...> wrote:

My son had his first cast put on in June 19th. He is due for a cast change in 2

weeks. I just got a letter from out insurance saying they denied our claimed for

the procedure. They said it was an unproven procedure (not enough studies to

show that it works) so they will not cover it. We are military so I'm not sure

what to do. I'm in north Florida.

Thanks

Hicks

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Guest guest

, we got our first cast done at Children's in Birmingham. They were great but I'm fearing we may have to change due to insurance. Sent from my iPhoneOn Aug 1, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Graves <cgravesfla@...> wrote:

We had to appeal a medical procedure our daughter had done.The doctor sent several emails explaining why it was medically necessary.(she has a port wine stain on her face that is growing.)It was eventually approved.If you don't mind me asking where did you go to get your first cast done.We live in Florida too and are going to apply to Shriners.Best, Sent from my iPhoneOn Aug 1, 2012, at 18:11, Jess Hicks <jshicks2005@...> wrote:

My son had his first cast put on in June 19th. He is due for a cast change in 2 weeks. I just got a letter from out insurance saying they denied our claimed for the procedure. They said it was an unproven procedure (not enough studies to show that it works) so they will not cover it. We are military so I'm not sure what to do. I'm in north Florida.

Thanks

Hicks

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

=

=

Guest guest

The others are right! Appeal and definitely get the correct code that may be all you need. I too am wondering where you went for casting. If all fails apply to a shriners. Greenville Sc has a Shriners, that's where we travel to from VA.Amy JConnected by DROID on Verizon Wireless Re: Help Please! We had to appeal a medical procedure our daughter had done.The doctor sent several emails explaining why it was medically necessary.(she has a port wine stain on her face that is growing.)It was eventually approved.If you don't mind me asking where did you go to get your first cast done.We live in Florida too and are going to apply to Shriners.Best, Sent from my iPhoneOn Aug 1, 2012, at 18:11, Jess Hicks <jshicks2005@...> wrote: My son had his first cast put on in June 19th. He is due for a cast change in 2 weeks. I just got a letter from out insurance saying they denied our claimed for the procedure. They said it was an unproven procedure (not enough studies to show that it works) so they will not cover it. We are military so I'm not sure what to do. I'm in north Florida. Thanks HicksSent from my iPhoneSent from my iPhone=

Guest guest

Hi Jess,

Sorry, you're having to deal with this! This topic comes up frequently

and a fellow CAST mum named provided great info a while back:

Hey there---Im a CPC--certified professional coder---

22505 - Manipulation of spine requiring anesthesia, any region

29010 - Application of risser jacket, localizer, body only

737.30 - Scoliosis [ and kyphoscoliosis], idiopathic.

the 22505 and 29010 are procedures done at that particular visit and the

is a ICD-9 diagnosis code.

Hope this helps =)

Also, if you need to provide medically, validated proof with peer reviewed

studies, please go the the FILES section of this group to dwnld/print/read

all relevant articles. These articles along with a letter from your

treating surgeon should do the trick. Let ISOP know if a letter from us

might help. ~And, please keep us posted.

HRH

> My son had his first cast put on in June 19th. He is due for a cast change

> in 2 weeks. I just got a letter from out insurance saying they denied our

> claimed for the procedure. They said it was an unproven procedure (not

> enough studies to show that it works) so they will not cover it. We are

> military so I'm not sure what to do. I'm in north Florida.

>

> Thanks

> Hicks

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

> Sent from my iPhone

Guest guest

Thanks. It was the 22505 code that was rejected. The good news is when I call the doctor they said they were already working on it. It's great to know that the doctor is looking out for us. We are in the clear though for the next casting. Thanks to all for the help. Sent from my iPhoneOn Aug 2, 2012, at 3:19 PM, heather@... wrote:

Hi Jess,

Sorry, you're having to deal with this! This topic comes up frequently

and a fellow CAST mum named provided great info a while back:

Hey there---Im a CPC--certified professional coder---

22505 - Manipulation of spine requiring anesthesia, any region

29010 - Application of risser jacket, localizer, body only

737.30 - Scoliosis [ and kyphoscoliosis], idiopathic.

the 22505 and 29010 are procedures done at that particular visit and the

is a ICD-9 diagnosis code.

Hope this helps =)

Also, if you need to provide medically, validated proof with peer reviewed

studies, please go the the FILES section of this group to dwnld/print/read

all relevant articles. These articles along with a letter from your

treating surgeon should do the trick. Let ISOP know if a letter from us

might help. ~And, please keep us posted.

HRH

> My son had his first cast put on in June 19th. He is due for a cast change

> in 2 weeks. I just got a letter from out insurance saying they denied our

> claimed for the procedure. They said it was an unproven procedure (not

> enough studies to show that it works) so they will not cover it. We are

> military so I'm not sure what to do. I'm in north Florida.

>

> Thanks

> Hicks

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

> Sent from my iPhone

=