RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am not an experienced user so I suppose my range of motion was off. I was trying to move the almonds around and probably went to far down.

MARILYN

LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS - DON'T LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.

"Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. "

MY KIDS DRIVE ME CRAZY- I DRIVE THEM EVERYWHERE ELSE!

From: <kareningotham@...> Sent: Thu, January 27, 2011 3:13:39 PMSubject: Re: question

Marilyn, how is it that your tamper came in contact with the blades?!

Re: Nutella Addicts Alert :)

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.LoveGizziexxx

Guest guest

But you shouldn't be able to go too far down. Was it the 64 oz. container?

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!

I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.

So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)

Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.

When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.

Love

Gizzie

xxx

Guest guest

Yes, but I went far enough down that I have a deep scratch mark on the tamper. Also I was curious after I make a soup how long can it sit in the refrigerator? In other words, veggies turn brown or mushy when they go bad but how do you tell when a smooth soup goes bad?

MARILYN

"Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. "

From: <kareningotham@...> Sent: Thu, January 27, 2011 3:48:56 PMSubject: Re: question

But you shouldn't be able to go too far down. Was it the 64 oz. container?

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.LoveGizziexxx

Guest guest

Well, unless you're doing a cold summer soup, the veggies will be cooked so the soup wil hold up longer.

Did you have the lid on when you tried to make almond butter? Because the tamper shouldn't be able to get near enough to the blade assembly to touch it.

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!

I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.

So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)

When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.

Love

Gizzie

xxx

Guest guest

I did have the lid on until I took it off to try to move stuff around. It was purely my fault. I think I may have tried to hard to get the mixture moving. But now I know not to force it...I am to attached to my machine to do anything that might hurt it - :)

MARILYN

From: <kareningotham@...> Sent: Thu, January 27, 2011 4:07:19 PMSubject: Re: question

Well, unless you're doing a cold summer soup, the veggies will be cooked so the soup wil hold up longer.Did you have the lid on when you tried to make almond butter? Because the tamper shouldn't be able to get near enough to the blade assembly to touch it.

T

Guest guest

Not to worry - if the lid is on you can't reach the blades - but if you chew up a tamper you have lots of company - I get 5-10 requests for new tampers per show! It is not a bad idea to buy one (they are only $12.50 I "think") and have a back up so that you never have to go "tamperless" should the unthinkable (exaggerating for effect) happen ;-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 27, 2011, at 4:24 PM, javachic wrote:

I did have the lid on until I took it off to try to move stuff around. It was purely my fault. I think I may have tried to hard to get the mixture moving. But now I know not to force it...I am to attached to my machine to do anything that might hurt it - :)

MARILYN

From: <kareningotham@...> Sent: Thu, January 27, 2011 4:07:19 PMSubject: Re: question

Well, unless you're doing a cold summer soup, the veggies will be cooked so the soup wil hold up longer.Did you have the lid on when you tried to make almond butter? Because the tamper shouldn't be able to get near enough to the blade assembly to touch it.

T

Guest guest

NO!!! (I even left the punctuation bold.) NEVER TAKE THE LID OFF IF YOU'RE GOING TO USE THE TAMPER! BAD GIRL!

Now, go stand in the corner, ponder your mistake, and I want your promise never to do it again.

Love

Gizzie

xxx

Guest guest

Hey, weren't you making nut butter in the smaller container at a demo when the machine sucked your tamper in and ate it?

Re: question

Not to worry - if the lid is on you can't reach the blades - but if you chew up a tamper you have lots of company - I get 5-10 requests for new tampers per show! It is not a bad idea to buy one (they are only $12.50 I "think") and have a back up so that you never have to go "tamperless" should the unthinkable (exaggerating for effect) happen ;-)

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

Guest guest

The machine NEVER sucks tampers in - if the lid is on it is simply impossible for the contents no matter how thick they may be to create enough pull to suck that tamper in - I DID SHOVE it in so hard that I pushed past the widened part of the tamper and on into the blades. I did this at home thankfully - would be an embarrassment to do it in front of an audience, though I'd just laugh it off and tell everyone that is why I like the "mini tampers" for the smaller containers - but inside I'd be mortified :-) Oh, and did I mention that I did this not only once, but twice?Yes, I am a big fan of having back up tampers now and a big fan of the shorter tampers for the shorter containers :-) Never know when hubby or the kids might chew up one of them...

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 27, 2011, at 4:42 PM, wrote:

Hey, weren't you making nut butter in the smaller container at a demo when the machine sucked your tamper in and ate it?

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Guest guest

WOW! And I thought I was strong! I salute you because I don't think I could ever must enough vertical force to do that!

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Guest guest

Hi lin. For sure, I think its a very common problem for new users to make

the same mistake. I know I did the same thing when I first got my machine.

In my case, Vitamix replaced it free, even tho I told them honestly that it was

completely my fault. You may want to give them a call on their 1.800

number...Seems to me that at the time (it was only a couple of years ago) they

would replace the first broken one free regardless of 'fault' or cause of the

damage....Mine wasn't destroyed either, but I was grossed out at the thot that

stuff might seep through the cracks into the open void in the center.

FWIW, they also replaced my container, which had developed some hairline cracks

at the base...which they said was likely due to me banging it on the counter to

dislodge frozen stuff. (bad girl)

Beth

>

> I did have the lid on until I took it off to try to move stuff around. It was

> purely my fault. I think I may have tried to hard to get the mixture moving.

But

> now I know not to force it...I am to attached to my machine to do anything

that

> might hurt it - :)  

>  

> MARILYN

>  

> LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS - 

> DON'T LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE. 

>

> " Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs

> nothing, and conveys much. "

>

> MY KIDS DRIVE ME CRAZY- I DRIVE THEM EVERYWHERE ELSE!

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

>>

>

> T

>

Guest guest

I'm laughing here at the image of someone banging the container on the counter. :)))

Hi lin. For sure, I think its a very common problem for new users to make the same mistake. I know I did the same thing when I first got my machine.

In my case, Vitamix replaced it free, even tho I told them honestly that it was completely my fault. You may want to give them a call on their 1.800 number...Seems to me that at the time (it was only a couple of years ago) they would replace the first broken one free regardless of 'fault' or cause of the damage....Mine wasn't destroyed either, but I was grossed out at the thot that stuff might seep through the cracks into the open void in the center.

Guest guest

, your funny. I promise - lol...and I get the point. Thanks.

MARILYN

From: <kareningotham@...> Sent: Thu, January 27, 2011 1:40:06 PMSubject: Re: question

NO!!! (I even left the punctuation bold.) NEVER TAKE THE LID OFF IF YOU'RE GOING TO USE THE TAMPER! BAD GIRL!Now, go stand in the corner, ponder your mistake, and I want your promise never to do it again.

Guest guest

Hey now, chickadee. They assured me that its a very common issue...so you will

have to imagine MANY people, not just me, doing the very same stupid thing. They

said (I'm no plastics engineer) that the freezing ingredients cause some change

to the composition of the plastic which makes it succeptible to hairline cracks

from shock that would normally not be a problem...

Beth

>

> I'm laughing here at the image of someone banging the container on the

counter. :)))

>

>

>

>

> Re: question

>

> ? Hi lin. For sure, I think its

a very common problem for new users to make the same mistake. I know I did the

same thing when I first got my machine.

>

> In my case, Vitamix replaced it free, even tho I told them honestly that it

was completely my fault. You may want to give them a call on their 1.800

number...Seems to me that at the time (it was only a couple of years ago) they

would replace the first broken one free regardless of 'fault' or cause of the

damage....Mine wasn't destroyed either, but I was grossed out at the thot that

stuff might seep through the cracks into the open void in the center.

>

Guest guest

Lee Ann,

Do you need a tamper with the dry container? And if so, does one come with it?

Carol K

---- Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

> Yes, I am a big fan of having back up tampers now and a big fan of the shorter

tampers for the shorter containers :-) Never know when hubby or the kids might

chew up one of them...

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

Guest guest

Oh, good! You can come out now and have some ice cream. :)

Love

Gizzie

xxx

Guest guest

No tamper needed for the dry container. None of the extra containers come with extra tampers (the reason being that so if anyone gets a wet 32 oz or a wet 48 oz I HIGHLY recommend the $10 mini tamper (or two ;-)

On Jan 27, 2011, at 7:44 PM, <ckarnes@...> wrote:

Lee Ann,

Do you need a tamper with the dry container? And if so, does one come with it?

Carol K

---- Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote:

> Yes, I am a big fan of having back up tampers now and a big fan of the shorter tampers for the shorter containers :-) Never know when hubby or the kids might chew up one of them...

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

Guest guest

OH, I am so glad you are educating us! I cannot decide whether to get the we 32 or 48. Also, will the mini tamper work for both? Lastly, why would we want more than 1 tamper?With MUCH appreciation,BarbaraOn Jan 27, 2011, at 6:01 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote: No tamper needed for the dry container. None of the extra containers come with extra tampers (the reason being that so if anyone gets a wet 32 oz or a wet 48 oz I HIGHLY recommend the $10 mini tamper (or two ;-) Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 27, 2011, at 7:44 PM, <ckarnes@...> wrote: Lee Ann, Do you need a tamper with the dry container? And if so, does one come with it? Carol K ---- Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote: > Yes, I am a big fan of having back up tampers now and a big fan of the shorter tampers for the shorter containers :-) Never know when hubby or the kids might chew up one of them... > > Blessings, > Lea Ann Savage > Satellite Beach, FL > (321) 773-7088 (home) > (321-961-9219 (cell) > www.VitamixLady.com > www..com

Guest guest

I am thinking she might need a 72 hour time out! Naughty girl!!

This recipe looks yummy. Thanks.

I have a question about processing nuts for the group. Yesterday I was watching QVC's demo on the Vitamix. The guy ground nuts for a nut butter. I was inspired so I went and grabbed my almonds to process. I ran the machine and after a few seconds the machine started to smell like the engine was burning a little. I took out the stick and tried to move the almonds around to help relieve the blades. Then the machine stopped. It would not start up again and my heart sank. I had a lot of cooking I wanted to do in my new machine and I was devastated to think I had broken it already.

I didn't think I did anything wrong because I was just mimicking the demo. I decided to let the machine rest for an hour then try again to turn it on. YEAH!!! it worked. I could not believe how happy I was that it restarted. Has anyone experienced this same thing with the machine overheating? By the way, I don't think I overstuffed it with the nuts but if I ever try it again I will only do maybe a 1/2 cup at a time. Scary to think I couldn't use my machine.....I'm addicted to it already.

MARILYN

LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS -

DON'T LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.

Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 4:25:46 AM

Subject: Re: Nutella Addicts Alert :)

Love

Gizzie

xxx

Guest guest

Hi Barbara,And I'm so very happy to do it! :-)This is just my thinking and personal preference, but if it were me I'd have a 64 oz and a 32 oz. Best of both worlds. Vitamix gave me a 48 oz container for Christmas and it is nice - I am especially happy to be able to say first hand that I've used it and I know what it is like. However (this is just my opinion) its only benefit is that it fits under the counters (but it doesn't fit under mine by about /14 inch :-(I like the big container for when I need large batches and the 32 oz. container because it is so "handy" and easy to clean and because I can use it for 90% of what I make in the Vitamix - even though we have 5 people in our family most of us like and make different kinds of smoothies and 32 oz is plenty for a smoothie for one (or even two kids sometimes). I can make salsa, nut butter, ice cream, quiche, hummus, mayo, butter, omelets, salad dressings, marinades, green smoothies for one, soups for one, chop, etc. all in the 32 oz. container.The mini tamper will work in both the 48 and the 32.The extra tamper is insurance for that day in the future when your maid (or mother in law, or niece, or significant other, etc. :-) decides to make a smoothie in your Vitamix and doesn't know the lid is supposed to be on and chews it up!I know that some people never use a tamper - I couldn't use my Vitamix without mine.I suffered without a tamper ONCE for a few days and after that - bought some "Tamper Insurance" in the form of back ups :-)

On Jan 27, 2011, at 8:01 PM, Barbara Watt wrote:

OH, I am so glad you are educating us! I cannot decide whether to get the we 32 or 48. Also, will the mini tamper work for both? Lastly, why would we want more than 1 tamper?With MUCH appreciation,BarbaraOn Jan 27, 2011, at 6:01 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote: No tamper needed for the dry container. None of the extra containers come with extra tampers (the reason being that so if anyone gets a wet 32 oz or a wet 48 oz I HIGHLY recommend the $10 mini tamper (or two ;-) Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))>< On Jan 27, 2011, at 7:44 PM, <ckarnes@...> wrote: Lee Ann, Do you need a tamper with the dry container? And if so, does one come with it? Carol K ---- Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> wrote: > Yes, I am a big fan of having back up tampers now and a big fan of the shorter tampers for the shorter containers :-) Never know when hubby or the kids might chew up one of them... > > Blessings, > Lea Ann Savage > Satellite Beach, FL > (321) 773-7088 (home) > (321-961-9219 (cell) > www.VitamixLady.com > www..com

Guest guest

You certainly can "go too far down" if you take the top off to use the tamper (not so "out there" as you might think, especially if you're doing something that isn't splashing!) That's how my 3600 wooden tamper got a chunk taken out of it. For anyone who doesn't realize it: the tamper ALWAYS goes through the hole in the lid: WHILE THE LID IS ON THE CONTAINER! HTH someone!Peggy

Guest guest

I seem to recall my 4000's taking a chunk out of my wooden tamper...

You certainly can "go too far down" if you take the top off to use the tamper (not so "out there" as you might think, especially if you're doing something that isn't splashing!) That's how my 3600 wooden tamper got a chunk taken out of it.

For anyone who doesn't realize it: the tamper ALWAYS goes through the hole in the lid: WHILE THE LID IS ON THE CONTAINER!

HTH someone!

Peggy

Guest guest

I had used my vitamix for 2 or 3 years when I killed my tamper. I still don't know what I was thinking when I did it. So see it's not just a newbie mistake.Kim in ORFrom: Beth E <ericsons@...>Subject: Re: question Date: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 6:02 PM

Hi lin. For sure, I think its a very common problem for new users to make the same mistake. I know I did the same thing when I first got my machine.

In my case, Vitamix replaced it free, even tho I told them honestly that it was completely my fault. You may want to give them a call on their 1.800 number...Seems to me that at the time (it was only a couple of years ago) they would replace the first broken one free regardless of 'fault' or cause of the damage....Mine wasn't destroyed either, but I was grossed out at the thot that stuff might seep through the cracks into the open void in the center.

FWIW, they also replaced my container, which had developed some hairline cracks at the base...which they said was likely due to me banging it on the counter to dislodge frozen stuff. (bad girl)

Beth

Guest guest

+1

I got a little extra fiber in my drink that day.

Tony

On 1/27/2011 9:36 PM, wrote:

I seem to recall my 4000's taking a chunk out of

my wooden tamper...

<

Guest guest

I forgot to add - if an extra $100 was simply not in the budget (and I can COMPLETELY understand that) The 48 oz. would be the way to go for people who really, really want a container to fit under the cabinets or a handier container to handle and clean.Anyone who's met me at a show can attest that I try to talk people out of the extra containers initially, I tell them that you can always pick up the extra containers later and you can make small batches in the big container. The only time I recommend an extra container is when I am CERTAIN that they want to make flour and are bakers and would really get their value out of it. (My boss would kill me if he knew this, but I can't stand to be pressured into buying something and I won't do it to others.) $100 is a lot of money for a lot of people when they are already forking out $400+

On Jan 27, 2011, at 8:36 PM, Lea Ann Savage wrote:

Hi Barbara,And I'm so very happy to do it! :-)This is just my thinking and personal preference, but if it were me I'd have a 64 oz and a 32 oz. Best of both worlds. Vitamix gave me a 48 oz container for Christmas and it is nice - I am especially happy to be able to say first hand that I've used it and I know what it is like. However (this is just my opinion) its only benefit is that it fits under the counters (but it doesn't fit under mine by about /14 inch :-(I like the big container for when I need large batches and the 32 oz. container because it is so "handy" and easy to clean and because I can use it for 90% of what I make in the Vitamix - even though we have 5 people in our family most of us like and make different kinds of smoothies and 32 oz is plenty for a smoothie for one (or even two kids sometimes). I can make salsa, nut butter, ice cream, quiche, hummus, mayo, butter, omelets, salad dressings, marinades, green smoothies for one, soups for one, chop, etc. all in the 32 oz. container.The mini tamper will work in both the 48 and the 32.The extra tamper is insurance for that day in the future when your maid (or mother in law, or niece, or significant other, etc. :-) decides to make a smoothie in your Vitamix and doesn't know the lid is supposed to be on and chews it up!I know that some people never use a tamper - I couldn't use my Vitamix without mine.I suffered without a tamper ONCE for a few days and after that - bought some "Tamper Insurance" in the form of back ups :-)

On Jan 27, 2011, at 8:01 PM, Barbara Watt wrote: