RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Yes! I can get you ANYTHING on the Vitamix website for the same price they list, but with Free Shipping.The only difference between ordering online and ordering through me is that a Vitamix representative calls you (a nice lady I work with at the Home Office) who knows my code which gives me the commission and you Free Shipping! You just have to email me with the address you want it shipped to, a phone number for her to call, and an email address for shipping confirmation.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 10, 2011, at 3:49 PM, wrote:

Here's the link, and I am going to get one, I'm hooked.lol It's actually called the deluxe

https://secure.vitamix.com/acb/stores/4/Vita-Mix-5200-Deluxe-Package-P749C108.aspx

-- Re: Question

I DO use it to chop veggies all of the time. It is only when the chopped veggies must LOOK pretty, that it isn't the best tool in the kitchen. Whenever I make Chili I chop onion, green pepper, celery, and carrots. My Chili is chock full of veggies and it never matters what they look like. The slow speed does a GREAT job with carrots - I love to make carrot salad with the VM. I make the bulk of my salsa's with the Vitamix then if I want it chunkier use my chopper on a few slices of tomatoes to add in.

I use the slow speed to chop veggies to put on top of salads - it doesn't look pretty, but I can add so much more veggies when it is as easy as chopping them in the Vitamix - I would just skip the veggies all together if I had to chop them by hand or with my chopper (the VM is much easier to clean than the chopper and I only get it out as a last resort).

I use the slow speed to scramble eggs and to chop veggies at the same time that I am scrambling eggs to make a veggie omelette or quiche (again, it doesn't matter what the veggies look like in that omelette or quiche).

I use the slow speeds to add texture back into a soup where I heated the broth on high, but lowered the speed to add things like cooked chicken (the chicken gets shredded beautifully for the soup). I do the same thing with my cold green soups in the summer - I make a cold veggie soup base, then add in some coarsely cut up cucumber or celery or pepper or mushroom, etc. to get some crunchy texture in that soup.

I also use the slow speeds to make batters like cake, pancake, muffins, and brownie mix.

I use the slow speeds to pop air bubbles out of drinks or soups that get too "frothy".

When I use protein powder, I use the slow speeds to stir it in after the rest of the smoothie has been made.

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

On Jan 9, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Cat Lady wrote:

If vitamix 5200 doesn't chop veggies nice then what is the difference between that version and 4500 version to make it worth the price?

Guest guest

Lea Ann can get you this! It's a 5200 + two extra containers--the "dry" for grinding/kneading, and the smaller regular container. Just let her get you a refurbished "red" and add one or two extra containers if you think you need them. If you know you'll grind, get the "dry" container. The smaller container is an indulgence because it doesn't do anything the larger container does. Don't spend for it unless you think it's essential.

Re: Question

I DO use it to chop veggies all of the time. It is only when the chopped veggies must LOOK pretty, that it isn't the best tool in the kitchen. Whenever I make Chili I chop onion, green pepper, celery, and carrots. My Chili is chock full of veggies and it never matters what they look like. The slow speed does a GREAT job with carrots - I love to make carrot salad with the VM. I make the bulk of my salsa's with the Vitamix then if I want it chunkier use my chopper on a few slices of tomatoes to add in.

I use the slow speed to chop veggies to put on top of salads - it doesn't look pretty, but I can add so much more veggies when it is as easy as chopping them in the Vitamix - I would just skip the veggies all together if I had to chop them by hand or with my chopper (the VM is much easier to clean than the chopper and I only get it out as a last resort).

I use the slow speed to scramble eggs and to chop veggies at the same time that I am scrambling eggs to make a veggie omelette or quiche (again, it doesn't matter what the veggies look like in that omelette or quiche).

I use the slow speeds to add texture back into a soup where I heated the broth on high, but lowered the speed to add things like cooked chicken (the chicken gets shredded beautifully for the soup). I do the same thing with my cold green soups in the summer - I make a cold veggie soup base, then add in some coarsely cut up cucumber or celery or pepper or mushroom, etc. to get some crunchy texture in that soup.

I also use the slow speeds to make batters like cake, pancake, muffins, and brownie mix.

I use the slow speeds to pop air bubbles out of drinks or soups that get too "frothy".

When I use protein powder, I use the slow speeds to stir it in after the rest of the smoothie has been made.

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

<:)))><

If vitamix 5200 doesn't chop veggies nice then what is the difference between that version and 4500 version to make it worth the price?

Guest guest

Now THAT was clear. :o

What I meant to convey was that both "wet" containers perform exactly the same functions. Since the larger can process small amounts and it's self-cleaning, it's not essential. Now on the other hand, I think the dry container is a must for anyone who wants to grind with their Vitamix. If I were going to use my Vita-Mix for grains, I'd definitely invest in one.

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Guest guest

Ok, will do

Guest guest

Hey, would you post that QVC link? I always felt like I was missing something by not having access to those recipes; the DVD doesn't interest me so much.

AFAIK, the CIA is a 5200 base with, as you stated, different support materials. It comes with the "normal" stuff, but also has the "Creations" cookbook, plus a couple DVDs featuring Symon.

I was able to find the Creations cookbook PDF on QVC, though I don't know that they intended to make it available for download like that.. :-) No luck on the Symon videos to date, though nobody has been able to tell me whether or not they're really worthwhile.

- Dow, D.C.

> ? If vitamix 5200 doesn't chop veggies nice then what is the difference between that version and 4500 version to make it worth the price?

>

>

Guest guest

I think you're going to be VERY happy with it--you're going to see quite a difference between it and your 4500. It's good you can jump on it while the colors are available as refurbs.

Blessings,

Lea Ann Savage

Satellite Beach, FL

(321) 773-7088 (home)

(321-961-9219 (cell)

www.VitamixLady.com

www..com

Guest guest

I agree with about the dry container. If you plan to grind, it is a must if you don't want to cloud up your main container by grinding grains. I grind everything for my gluten free flours, including some things that aren't intended to be ground! When I upgraded to my 5200, I was afraid I was going to miss the reverse function, and stainless steel container on my dinosaur model, but I don't at all! Since I grind in larger volumes than most, I also thought I would be disappointed with the small size of the dry container, but since the Vitamix is SO fast and efficient at grinding, I can grind up 20 pounds of flour in just a few minutes. I also agree that the small wet container is not necessary...but nice to have!

Guest guest

Lea Ann, do you put water in your VM to chop your carrots (or other

veggies) for your salads?

Thanks,

em

>

> I DO use it to chop veggies all of the time. It is only when the

chopped veggies must LOOK pretty, that it isn't the best tool in the

kitchen. Whenever I make Chili I chop onion, green pepper, celery, and

carrots. My Chili is chock full of veggies and it never matters what

they look like. The slow speed does a GREAT job with carrots - I love

to make carrot salad with the VM. I make the bulk of my salsa's with

the Vitamix then if I want it chunkier use my chopper on a few slices of

tomatoes to add in.

>

> I use the slow speed to chop veggies to put on top of salads - it

doesn't look pretty, but I can add so much more veggies when it is as

easy as chopping them in the Vitamix - I would just skip the veggies all

together if I had to chop them by hand or with my chopper (the VM is

much easier to clean than the chopper and I only get it out as a last

resort).

>

> I use the slow speed to scramble eggs and to chop veggies at the same

time that I am scrambling eggs to make a veggie omelette or quiche

(again, it doesn't matter what the veggies look like in that omelette or

quiche).

>

> I use the slow speeds to add texture back into a soup where I heated

the broth on high, but lowered the speed to add things like cooked

chicken (the chicken gets shredded beautifully for the soup). I do the

same thing with my cold green soups in the summer - I make a cold veggie

soup base, then add in some coarsely cut up cucumber or celery or pepper

or mushroom, etc. to get some crunchy texture in that soup.

>

> I also use the slow speeds to make batters like cake, pancake,

muffins, and brownie mix.

>

> I use the slow speeds to pop air bubbles out of drinks or soups that

get too " frothy " .

>

> When I use protein powder, I use the slow speeds to stir it in after

the rest of the smoothie has been made.

>

> Blessings,

> Lea Ann Savage

> Satellite Beach, FL

> (321) 773-7088 (home)

> (321-961-9219 (cell)

> www.VitamixLady.com

> www..com

> <:)))><

>

Guest guest

, would you mind sharing it with us, please? I'm too lazy to look for it!

thanks, Joyce

>

> AFAIK, the CIA is a 5200 base with, as you stated, different support

materials. It comes with the " normal " stuff, but also has the " Creations "

cookbook, plus a couple DVDs featuring Symon.

>

> I was able to find the Creations cookbook PDF on QVC, though I don't know that

they intended to make it available for download like that.. :-) No luck on the

Symon videos to date, though nobody has been able to tell me whether or

not they're really worthwhile.

>

> - Dow, D.C.

>

>

Guest guest

Is there a payment plan on the refurb models?Neva been More ready!On Jan 10, 2011, at 12:44 PM, "" <busresponsible@...> wrote:

Yes, I am checking with her, awaiting an answer

Guest guest

Yes, there is, I was asked if I would like to use it.

Guest guest

I'm sure Lea Ann could answer this for you but yes there is payments plan... Half down and payments of balance the next two months.

Char

From: Scaler <only1azz@...>" " < >Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 5:37:11 PMSubject: Re: Question

Is there a payment plan on the refurb models?Neva been More ready!

On Jan 10, 2011, at 12:44 PM, "" <busresponsible@...> wrote:

Guest guest

It took just a few minutes to set up the payment plan.

Char

From: Scaler <only1azz@...>" " < >Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 5:37:11 PMSubject: Re: Question

Guest guest

Yes I know there are payments but didn't know you could get the refurb models on payment plan, a lotta people will be happy to hear that!Neva been More ready!On Jan 10, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Char Dobbins <chardobbins@...> wrote:

I'm sure Lea Ann could answer this for you but yes there is payments plan... Half down and payments of balance the next two months.

Char

Guest guest

I believe the " Pro " designation is just to offer a machine with a

lower warranty, seeing that it is going to have much more use than the

home user.

It WILL wear out faster under business use.

Chuck

A distraught senior citizen

phoned her doctor's office.

'Is it true,' she wanted to know,

'that the medication

you prescribed has to be taken

for the rest of my life? '

'Yes, I'm afraid so,' the doctor told her .

There was a moment of silence

before the senior lady replied,

'I'm wondering, then,

just how serious is my condition

because this prescription is marked

'NO REFILLS'.'

On 1/10/2011 3:00:51 PM, (kareningotham@...) wrote:

> I think ALL of the " professional " models are home-use machines--the whole

" pro " thing is, I think, to appeal to foodies who think that they have to have

commercial equipment.

>

>

Guest guest

The "professional" line machines are all for household use and carry a 7-year warranty, as opposed to the "commercial" machines, which don't.

I believe the "Pro" designation is just to offer a machine with a

lower warranty, seeing that it is going to have much more use than the

home user.

It WILL wear out faster under business use.

Chuck

A distraught senior citizen

phoned her doctor's office.

'Is it true,' she wanted to know,

'that the medication

you prescribed has to be taken

for the rest of my life? '

'Yes, I'm afraid so,' the doctor told her .

There was a moment of silence

before the senior lady replied,

'I'm wondering, then,

just how serious is my condition

because this prescription is marked

'NO REFILLS'.'

On 1/10/2011 3:00:51 PM, (kareningotham@...) wrote:

> I think ALL of the "professional" models are home-use machines--the whole "pro" thing is, I think, to appeal to foodies who think that they have to have commercial equipment.

Guest guest

This recipe looks yummy. Thanks.

I have a question about processing nuts for the group. Yesterday I was watching QVC's demo on the Vitamix. The guy ground nuts for a nut butter. I was inspired so I went and grabbed my almonds to process. I ran the machine and after a few seconds the machine started to smell like the engine was burning a little. I took out the stick and tried to move the almonds around to help relieve the blades. Then the machine stopped. It would not start up again and my heart sank. I had a lot of cooking I wanted to do in my new machine and I was devastated to think I had broken it already.

I didn't think I did anything wrong because I was just mimicking the demo. I decided to let the machine rest for an hour then try again to turn it on. YEAH!!! it worked. I could not believe how happy I was that it restarted. Has anyone experienced this same thing with the machine overheating? By the way, I don't think I overstuffed it with the nuts but if I ever try it again I will only do maybe a 1/2 cup at a time. Scary to think I couldn't use my machine.....I'm addicted to it already.

MARILYN

LOVE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS - DON'T LOVE THINGS AND USE PEOPLE.

"Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. "

MY KIDS DRIVE ME CRAZY- I DRIVE THEM EVERYWHERE ELSE!

From: Darren <gisela_mann@...> Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 4:25:46 AMSubject: Re: Nutella Addicts Alert :)

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.LoveGizziexxx

Guest guest

Marilyn, you need to read both your instruction book and some of the previous posts. You tripped the built-in overload protection sensor; it's there so that your machine doesn't burn itself out. Lea Ann posted a tip previously on how to cool your motor before this happens when your machine is running hot although, as you've relievedly discovered, it worked fine after a cooling-off period.

Almonds are probably the most difficult nuts to grind for butter and raw almonds are more difficult than roasted. I'm pretty sure there are tips for this in the archives as well as the optimal amount of nuts for processing.

Re: Nutella Addicts Alert :)

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!

I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.

So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)

Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.

When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.

Guest guest

Everybody has experienced it.

It's a feature, not a fault.

Overload protection.

(to speed reset, you might stick the base in thr fridge or freezer for

ten minutes)

Chuck

Some Senior codes:

ATD: At The Doctor's

BFF: Best Friend Fell

BTW: Bring The Wheelchair

BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth

CBM: Covered By Medicare

CUATSC: See You At The Senior Center

DWI: Driving While Incontinent

On 1/24/2011 8:33:09 AM, javachic (javachic1967@...) wrote:

> This recipe looks yummy. Thanks.

>

> I have a question about processing nuts for the group. Yesterday I was

> watching

> QVC's demo on the Vitamix. The guy ground nuts for a nut butter. I was

inspired so I went and grabbed my almonds to process. I ran the machine and

after a few seconds the machine started to smell like the engine was burning a

little. I took out the stick and tried to move the almonds around to help

relieve the blades. Then the machine stopped. It would not start up again and my

heart sank. I had a lot of cooking I wanted to do in my new machine and I was

devastated to think I had broken it already.

>

> I didn't

> think I did anything wrong because I was just mimicking the demo. I

> decided to let the machine rest for an hour then try again to turn it on.

> YEAH!!! it worked. I could not believe how happy I was that it restarted.

> Has anyone experienced this same thing with the machine overheating? By

> the way, I

> don't think I overstuffed it with the nuts but if I ever try it again I will

only do maybe a 1/2 cup at a time. Scary to think I couldn't

> use my machine.....

> I'm addicted to it already.

>

> MARILYN

Guest guest

Great suggestion about cooling it off in the fridge or freezer. Do you think I have damaged the machine?

I will check the past posts about this but I had no idea that it was relatively normal. I am glad you guys are here with this valuable info. Thank you.

MARILYN

"Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much. "

From: "cking001@..." <cking001@...> Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 9:51:38 AMSubject: Re: question

Everybody has experienced it.It's a feature, not a fault.Overload protection.(to speed reset, you might stick the base in thr fridge or freezer forten minutes)ChuckSome Senior codes:ATD: At The Doctor'sBFF: Best Friend FellBTW: Bring The WheelchairBYOT: Bring Your Own TeethCBM: Covered By MedicareCUATSC: See You At The Senior CenterDWI: Driving While IncontinentOn 1/24/2011 8:33:09 AM, javachic (javachic1967@...) wrote:> This recipe looks yummy. Thanks.> > I have a question about processing nuts for the group. Yesterday I was> watching> QVC's demo on the Vitamix. The guy ground nuts for a nut butter. I was inspired so I went and grabbed my almonds to process. I ran the machine and after a few seconds the machine started to smell

like the engine was burning a little. I took out the stick and tried to move the almonds around to help relieve the blades. Then the machine stopped. It would not start up again and my heart sank. I had a lot of cooking I wanted to do in my new machine and I was devastated to think I had broken it already.> > I didn't> think I did anything wrong because I was just mimicking the demo. I> decided to let the machine rest for an hour then try again to turn it on.> YEAH!!! it worked. I could not believe how happy I was that it restarted.> Has anyone experienced this same thing with the machine overheating? By> the way, I> don't think I overstuffed it with the nuts but if I ever try it again I will only do maybe a 1/2 cup at a time. Scary to think I couldn't> use my machine.....> I'm addicted to it already.> > MARILYN

Guest guest

No, you didn't damage the machine. But PLEASE read the manual--it's so much better to know what you're doing before you do it and you can save yourself and possibly your appliances a lot of stress. It only takes a little while to acquire the "book smarts" that will make your life easier and allow you to use your machine with full knowledge of its capabilities AND its limitations.

Re: question

Everybody has experienced it.

It's a feature, not a fault.

Overload protection.

(to speed reset, you might stick the base in thr fridge or freezer for

ten minutes)

Chuck

Some Senior codes:

ATD: At The Doctor's

BFF: Best Friend Fell

BTW: Bring The Wheelchair

BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth

CBM: Covered By Medicare

CUATSC: See You At The Senior Center

DWI: Driving While Incontinent

On 1/24/2011 8:33:09 AM, javachic (javachic1967@...) wrote:

> This recipe looks yummy. Thanks.

>

> I have a question about processing nuts for the group. Yesterday I was

> watching

> QVC's demo on the Vitamix. The guy ground nuts for a nut butter. I was inspired so I went and grabbed my almonds to process. I ran the machine and after a few seconds the machine started to smell like the engine was burning a little. I took out the stick and tried to move the almonds around to help relieve the blades. Then the machine stopped. It would not start up again and my heart sank. I had a lot of cooking I wanted to do in my new machine and I was devastated to think I had broken it already.

>

> I didn't

> think I did anything wrong because I was just mimicking the demo. I

> decided to let the machine rest for an hour then try again to turn it on.

> YEAH!!! it worked. I could not believe how happy I was that it restarted.

> Has anyone experienced this same thing with the machine overheating? By

> the way, I

> don't think I overstuffed it with the nuts but if I ever try it again I will only do maybe a 1/2 cup at a time. Scary to think I couldn't

> use my machine.....

> I'm addicted to it already.

>

Guest guest

This is a message that came through while I was at the show and wanted to answer, but apparently didn't...I cover the thermal heat sensor issue on the FAQ page of my website. When making nuts I find that the best amount is 3 to 3 1/2 cups (any more and you can trip the heat sensor any less and it doesn't blend as well).Almonds are the hardest nut to start with as they have much less natural oil in them than peanuts. Therefore, I add almond oil when I make almond butter. I've never measured how much - I just glug some in there and blend away. I am guessing that it is about 3 Tbs. of oil.Out of curiosity - what measure of nuts did you put in? Also - be sure to keep the tamper out of the middle as much as possible - air is sucked down from the top and helps keep things cool. I push the nut powder down from the corners one corner after the other until there is no more powder and it is all mixed in with the nut butter. One last hint that comes to mind - when the motor is making a high pitched whining sound it is actually when things are easiest on the motor - there is an air pocket formed and the blades are whizzing merrily along in that air pocket. At that time - there is no strain or stress to the motor. It is only when the sound gets lower that the blades are chugging their way through the nut butter and making the motor work hard. Not to worry though, nut butters constantly form air pockets and if you just take a bit more time between pushed of the tamper the motor is only working hard off and on. Push the tamper - make it work - lift the tamper - air pocket forms and motor gets a break - push the tamper - make it work, etc...Oh one last, one last thing ;-) Is there ANY chance that you had the machine on variable 10 and not on high? The variable speeds do not cause the fan in the Vitamix motor to come on. The high speed turns on the fan which helps to keep the motor cool. Variable speeds + thick stuff in the Vitamix = Thermal Heat Sensor Shut Down!

On Jan 24, 2011, at 8:33 AM, javachic wrote:

I have a question about processing nuts for the group. Yesterday I was watching QVC's demo on the Vitamix. The guy ground nuts for a nut butter. I was inspired so I went and grabbed my almonds to process. I ran the machine and after a few seconds the machine started to smell like the engine was burning a little. I took out the stick and tried to move the almonds around to help relieve the blades. Then the machine stopped. It would not start up again and my heart sank. I had a lot of cooking I wanted to do in my new machine and I was devastated to think I had broken it already.

I didn't think I did anything wrong because I was just mimicking the demo. I decided to let the machine rest for an hour then try again to turn it on. YEAH!!! it worked. I could not believe how happy I was that it restarted. Has anyone experienced this same thing with the machine overheating? By the way, I don't think I overstuffed it with the nuts but if I ever try it again I will only do maybe a 1/2 cup at a time. Scary to think I couldn't use my machine.....I'm addicted to it already.

MARILYN

From: Darren <gisela_mann@...> Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 4:25:46 AMSubject: Re: Nutella Addicts Alert :) Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.LoveGizziexxx

Guest guest

Have you thought of maybe just tossing the almonds with some oil prior to blending? It shouldn't take much to get things moving.

The manual that came with my juicer states "Many of the almonds now commercially available are of the new hybrid varieties. These have been bred to contain less oil and more water to extend the shelf life of the nuts. [...] With less oil it is difficult to make a nut butter without thoroughly drying the nuts and adding oil. When using such nuts we recommend adding a small amount of almond or peanut oil, at least to get started."

It goes on to state that non-hybrid almonds are much more likely to be converted to butter without the need for added oil. And as Lea Ann has mentioned in a previous post, roasted almonds tend to make a tastier butter than raw.

Re: question

Almonds are the hardest nut to start with as they have much less natural oil in them than peanuts. Therefore, I add almond oil when I make almond butter. I've never measured how much - I just glug some in there and blend away. I am guessing that it is about 3 Tbs. of oil.

Guest guest

I made the mistake of over filling the container. It was 3/4 full and I didn't add any other liquid. I like your suggestion of adding almond oil. My second mistake was using the tamper (which now has blade marks) due to my excessive pushing around of the stubborn almonds. I should of stopped the machine when I smelled a burnt smell but I didn't. Let's just say I have really learned my lesson.

PS(I received my "Blend It spice" and yesterday during our sleet, snow and freezing rain storm I made the tortilla soup. After all the ingredients were blended I added a about 1/4 a cup each of canned beans, corn and cheese to mine. For my daughter and her friends I added a handful of cheese Doritos. It was a HUGE hit with the kids. Oh and in mine I added (from my fun shopping trip to Penzey's) a few sprinkles of Jalapeno (then blended again for a few minutes.) I must say...with everyone's advice and good tips I am LOVING cooking once again.

A bonus, my kids who HATE veggies now ask me what veggies are in whatever it is I am making. I have even overheard them trying to sell the idea of tasting the green smoothies to their friends. THANK YOU inventor of this marvelous machine and THANK YOU group for all the wonderful ways you have taught me to LOVE this machine.

MARILYN

From: Lea Ann Savage <lsavage@...> Sent: Wed, January 26, 2011 6:33:18 PMSubject: Re: question

This is a message that came through while I was at the show and wanted to answer, but apparently didn't...

I cover the thermal heat sensor issue on the FAQ page of my website. When making nuts I find that the best amount is 3 to 3 1/2 cups (any more and you can trip the heat sensor any less and it doesn't blend as well).

Almonds are the hardest nut to start with as they have much less natural oil in them than peanuts. Therefore, I add almond oil when I make almond butter. I've never measured how much - I just glug some in there and blend away. I am guessing that it is about 3 Tbs. of oil.

Out of curiosity - what measure of nuts did you put in? Also - be sure to keep the tamper out of the middle as much as possible - air is sucked down from the top and helps keep things cool. I push the nut powder down from the corners one corner after the other until there is no more powder and it is all mixed in with the nut butter.

One last hint that comes to mind - when the motor is making a high pitched whining sound it is actually when things are easiest on the motor - there is an air pocket formed and the blades are whizzing merrily along in that air pocket. At that time - there is no strain or stress to the motor. It is only when the sound gets lower that the blades are chugging their way through the nut butter and making the motor work hard. Not to worry though, nut butters constantly form air pockets and if you just take a bit more time between pushed of the tamper the motor is only working hard off and on. Push the tamper - make it work - lift the tamper - air pocket forms and motor gets a break - push the tamper - make it work, etc...

Oh one last, one last thing ;-) Is there ANY chance that you had the machine on variable 10 and not on high? The variable speeds do not cause the fan in the Vitamix motor to come on. The high speed turns on the fan which helps to keep the motor cool. Variable speeds + thick stuff in the Vitamix = Thermal Heat Sensor Shut Down!

On Jan 24, 2011, at 8:33 AM, javachic wrote:

MARILYN

From: Darren <gisela_mann@...> Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 4:25:46 AMSubject: Re: Nutella Addicts Alert :)

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.LoveGizziexxx

Guest guest

Marilyn, how is it that your tamper came in contact with the blades?!

Re: Nutella Addicts Alert :)

Just thought I'd share my successful make of a Hazelnut Chocolate spread that actually has a decent amount of hazlenuts in it!

I used to have to cheat and buy jars of hazelnut butter, because my old food processor could never get the nuts smooth enough.

So, you basically blend a jar of hazelnut butter, a cup of cocoa, and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. (Of course, you can adjust to taste.)

Bingo. No transfats. No nasties, and a shed load of healthy fats.

When this lot runs out, I'll try it with whole hazelnuts. I know it will work brilliantly, because the Nak'd Bars turn out as smooth as anything.

Love

Gizzie

xxx