RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Kefir

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My Russian friend loves it. I was telling her how we like buttermilk for our beverage at lunch. She said I should try kafir, that it was like buttermilk but better.I bought some, tried it and didn't like it all all. It was about the same thickness as buttermilk, actually looked like it but I didn't think the flavor was nearly as good as a good buttermilk.TerrySent from my iPadOn Jan 29, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Robbin <diciacco1@...> wrote:

I bought them on eBay through the lady who was recommended here. I put the picture in the refrigerator already. I didn't take the grains out but I guess I should now with a plastic spoon. I followed her directions. •Robbin On Jan 29, 2012, at 3:25 PM, " DeMarco" <jdemarc2@...> wrote:

Kefir is supposed to be thick. I ferment mine in 1 quart canning jars. My grains that I use are quite large, so for me, this quantity of milk is just right. Once it is fermented, I remove the grains (I use a plastic spoon), and add the grains to a fresh glass canning jar of milk. I leave the new unfermented jar lightly covered on the counter (I cover with a piece of cotton fabric with a rubber band around the jar) out of direct sun, and let ferment again. The process is endless as long as you properly care for the grains.

As for the fermented jar, I cover the top with a canning jar lid, shake it, and then place this into the refrigerator. This is great to drink on its own, add to smoothies, or use as a cheese/cream substitute when making tomato pasta sauces or mushrooms gravies etc. It adds a healthful kick, plus simulates the rich creamy goodness of a cheese.

(If you don't shake the jar after you collect the grains, it will be really thick and chunky. Kind of like pourable cream with chunks of sour cream dropped into it.)

If your grains were mailed to you, it could take a few more days to wake them up. If you picked them up directly from a local source, they usually work right from the get go. If you see no fermentation after another day or so, then simply strain out the grains, and put them into a smaller FRESH batch of milk, and try to ferment them again. If they are tiny grains, and you place them into a large quantity of milk, it will take a whole lot longer to ferment them. Try adding them to a smaller quanity of milk and see if they don't PERK UP.

<:))))><

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rena GlubaySent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:05 PM Subject: Re: Kefir

Kefir isn't thick is it? I thought it was just like drinking milk but with the added tartness.RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Robbin <diciacco1@...> wrote:

15 hours and it still seems runny. •Robbin

Guest guest

Kefir is meant to be runny-it won't get thick like yogurt does, if that is what

you are expecting (unless you put VERY little milk over the grains, but then it

is strong flavored) It should be about the consistency of slightly thickened

milk. The incubation time is to develop the tartness, not thickness.

>

> 15 hours and it still seems runny.

>

> •Robbin

>

Guest guest

I have a pair of bamboo chopsticks that are PERFECT for handling kefir grains. I just grab out the grains from the current jar, plop them into a clean new jar and add milk. The finished jar gets a mason jar lid on it and goes in the fridge-the whole process takes less than a minute, start to finish. I had my last batch of grains going for several years. I don't drink milk during the winter, since my cows are fed grains during that time (I am gluten free-certainly no problem for anyone who isn't, just saying I don't) I will restart my kefir in the spring, and should have some grains to offer the group by late spring or early summer-just pay shipping. Sent from my iPadOn Jan 29, 2012, at 3:25 PM, " DeMarco" <jdemarc2@...> wrote:

Kefir is supposed to be thick. I ferment mine in 1 quart canning jars. My grains that I use are quite large, so for me, this quantity of milk is just right. Once it is fermented, I remove the grains (I use a plastic spoon), and add the grains to a fresh glass canning jar of milk. I leave the new unfermented jar lightly covered on the counter (I cover with a piece of cotton fabric with a rubber band around the jar) out of direct sun, and let ferment again. The process is endless as long as you properly care for the grains.

As for the fermented jar, I cover the top with a canning jar lid, shake it, and then place this into the refrigerator. This is great to drink on its own, add to smoothies, or use as a cheese/cream substitute when making tomato pasta sauces or mushrooms gravies etc. It adds a healthful kick, plus simulates the rich creamy goodness of a cheese.

(If you don't shake the jar after you collect the grains, it will be really thick and chunky. Kind of like pourable cream with chunks of sour cream dropped into it.)

If your grains were mailed to you, it could take a few more days to wake them up. If you picked them up directly from a local source, they usually work right from the get go. If you see no fermentation after another day or so, then simply strain out the grains, and put them into a smaller FRESH batch of milk, and try to ferment them again. If they are tiny grains, and you place them into a large quantity of milk, it will take a whole lot longer to ferment them. Try adding them to a smaller quanity of milk and see if they don't PERK UP.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rena GlubaySent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:05 PM Subject: Re: Kefir

Kefir isn't thick is it? I thought it was just like drinking milk but with the added tartness.RenaIf God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Guest guest

Yes, you will want to take your grains out-the cold stops them from doing their good magic! (it won't hurt them to be cold for a while, they will just quit reproducing while they are-you can "freshen" them by just adding more milk and letting it sit out on the counter.Sent from my iPadOn Jan 29, 2012, at 4:29 PM, Robbin <diciacco1@...> wrote:

I bought them on eBay through the lady who was recommended here. I put the picture in the refrigerator already. I didn't take the grains out but I guess I should now with a plastic spoon. I followed her directions. •Robbin On Jan 29, 2012, at 3:25 PM, " DeMarco" <jdemarc2@...> wrote:

Guest guest

I never cared for buttermilk, until I started making my own butter from raw

milk...YUM! True buttermilk is simply divine! If I culture the butter, it is

even better! It took a bit of adjustment for me to get used to kefir, but now I

love it too!

>

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

There is really no comparison between fresh kefir grains and dried. Dried is

okay in a pinch, but that is like comparing green dried smoothie powder to a

fresh smoothie-does the trick, but not the same. I highly recommend venturing

into the fresh grains, if you liked the basic taste of it-it really isn't much

effort to keep fresh grains going, once you have them.

>

> I bought Yogourmet Kefir starter to see if one I would like it and to test how

much trouble making Kefir would be. I also purchased a 32oz of Holios Kefir

that is ready to drink.

>

> The Yogourmet starter is pretty easy but the instructions tell you to heat the

milk to 180 degrees and then cool it to 73 -77 degrees before adding the culture

packet. In about 20 hours or curds had formed and I stirred it and placed it in

the frig for an additional 8 hours to " stop the process " as the instructions

say.

>

> I found both the ready to drink and Yogourmet Kefir similar but the Yogourmet

was a little thinner and taste more subtle.

>

> I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find an explaination on what the

difference between freezed dried Kefir like Yogourmet and Kefir grains. I

understand that the grains are reuseable but the Yogourmet has 6 packets that

make a quart each and the packets are good for a long time. While I am learning

to like this stuff I know myself well enough to know I will have to take a break

from it from time to time. The exp date on the package I have is 9/13.

>

> Tom

>

Guest guest

I hear what you say about your preference to Kefir grains and freeze dried Kefir is not the same to you but what those differences are is exactly what I am trying to find out. One of the major benefits of drinking Kefir as opposed to yogurt is the yeast as I understand it and both the freeze dried and grains provide the yeast benefit. Tom Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:16 AM Subject: Re: Kefir There is really no comparison between fresh kefir grains and dried. Dried is okay in a pinch, but that is like comparing green dried smoothie powder to a fresh smoothie-does the trick, but not the same. I highly recommend venturing into the fresh grains, if you liked the basic taste of it-it really isn't much effort to keep fresh grains going, once you have them. >> I bought Yogourmet Kefir starter to see if one I would like it and to test how much trouble making Kefir would be. I also purchased a 32oz of Holios Kefir that is ready to drink. > > The Yogourmet starter is pretty easy but the instructions tell you to heat the milk to 180 degrees and then cool it to 73 -77 degrees before adding the culture packet. In about 20 hours or curds had formed and I stirred it and placed it in the frig for an additional 8 hours to " stop the process " as the instructions say. > > I found both the ready to drink and Yogourmet Kefir similar but the Yogourmet was a little thinner and taste more subtle.> > I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find an explaination on what the difference between freezed dried Kefir like Yogourmet and Kefir grains. I understand that the grains are reuseable but the Yogourmet has 6 packets that make a quart each and the packets are good for a long time. While I am learning to like this stuff I know myself well enough to know I will have to take a break from it from time to time. The exp date on the package I have is 9/13.> > Tom>

Guest guest

You are quite right, Tom. The beneficial yeasts and enzymes are there in both-I

think it is more of a flavor/texture thing. You can get a creamier, more dense

result with the fresh grains than the powdered, but the benefit is about the

same. Fresh grains will pick up subtle changes in the milk used, what might be

in the air in the kitchen, etc. I can tell when my cows have been in to the

wild onions or sweet clover in the summer time when I make my kefir using their

milk-I don't notice it too much just in the milk, but it sure comes out in the

kefir! Surprisingly nice, actually, lol.

> >

> > I bought Yogourmet Kefir starter to see if one I would like it and to test

> how much trouble making Kefir would be. I also purchased a 32oz of Holios

> Kefir that is ready to drink.

> >

> > The Yogourmet starter is pretty easy but the instructions tell you to heat

> the milk to 180 degrees and then cool it to 73 -77 degrees before adding the

> culture packet. In about 20 hours or curds had formed and I stirred it and

> placed it in the frig for an additional 8 hours to " stop the process " as the

> instructions say.

> >

> > I found both the ready to drink and Yogourmet Kefir similar but the

> Yogourmet was a little thinner and taste more subtle.

> >

> > I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find an explaination on what

> the difference between freezed dried Kefir like Yogourmet and Kefir grains.

> I understand that the grains are reuseable but the Yogourmet has 6 packets

> that make a quart each and the packets are good for a long time. While I am

> learning to like this stuff I know myself well enough to know I will have to

> take a break from it from time to time. The exp date on the package I have

> is 9/13.

> >

> > Tom

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks . Until I figure out if I am into making Kefir for the long haul I think I'll stick with the freeze dried stuff. It is starting to taste better day by day. Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 1:55 PM Subject: Re: Kefir You are quite right, Tom. The beneficial yeasts and enzymes are there in both-I think it is more of a flavor/texture thing. You can get a creamier, more dense result with the fresh grains than the powdered, but the benefit is about the same. Fresh grains will pick up subtle changes in the milk used, what might be in the air in the kitchen, etc. I can tell when my cows have been in to the wild onions or sweet clover in the summer time when I make my kefir using their milk-I don't notice it too much just in the milk, but it sure comes out in the kefir! Surprisingly nice, actually, lol.> >> > I bought Yogourmet Kefir starter to see if one I would like it and to test> how much trouble making Kefir would be. I also purchased a 32oz of Holios> Kefir that is ready to drink. > > > > The Yogourmet starter is pretty easy but the instructions tell you to heat> the milk to 180 degrees and then cool it to 73 -77 degrees before adding the> culture packet. In about 20 hours or curds had formed and I stirred it and> placed it in the frig for an additional 8 hours to " stop the process " as the> instructions say. > > > > I found both the ready to drink and Yogourmet Kefir similar but the> Yogourmet was a little thinner and taste more subtle.> > > > I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find an explaination on what> the difference between freezed dried Kefir like Yogourmet and Kefir grains.> I understand that the grains are reuseable but the Yogourmet has 6 packets> that make a quart each and the packets are good for a long time. While I am> learning to like this stuff I know myself well enough to know I will have to> take a break from it from time to time. The exp date on the package I have> is 9/13.> > > > Tom> >>

Guest guest

If you do decide to try the fresh, Tom, I will send you some grains when I have

them. I don't drink dairy from my cows during the winter, since they are

supplemented with grains during that time (I am allergic to most grains, thus

the avoidance) I usually start kefiring again in spring-happy to ship you some

if you want.

> > >

> > > I bought Yogourmet Kefir starter to see if one I would like it and to

> test

> > how much trouble making Kefir would be. I also purchased a 32oz of Holios

> > Kefir that is ready to drink.

> > >

> > > The Yogourmet starter is pretty easy but the instructions tell you to

> heat

> > the milk to 180 degrees and then cool it to 73 -77 degrees before adding

> the

> > culture packet. In about 20 hours or curds had formed and I stirred it and

> > placed it in the frig for an additional 8 hours to " stop the process " as

> the

> > instructions say.

> > >

> > > I found both the ready to drink and Yogourmet Kefir similar but the

> > Yogourmet was a little thinner and taste more subtle.

> > >

> > > I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find an explaination on

> what

> > the difference between freezed dried Kefir like Yogourmet and Kefir

> grains.

> > I understand that the grains are reuseable but the Yogourmet has 6 packets

> > that make a quart each and the packets are good for a long time. While I

> am

> > learning to like this stuff I know myself well enough to know I will have

> to

> > take a break from it from time to time. The exp date on the package I have

> > is 9/13.

> > >

> > > Tom

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks I may just take you up on that. What do you have to do to the grains when not in use? Tom From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 2:50 PM Subject: Re: Kefir If you do decide to try the fresh, Tom, I will send you some grains when I have them. I don't drink dairy from my cows during the winter, since they are supplemented with grains during that time (I am allergic to most grains, thus the avoidance) I usually start kefiring again in spring-happy to ship you some if you want.> > >> > > I bought Yogourmet Kefir starter to see if one I would like it and to> test> > how much trouble making Kefir would be. I also purchased a 32oz of Holios> > Kefir that is ready to drink. > > > > > > The Yogourmet starter is pretty easy but the instructions tell you to> heat> > the milk to 180 degrees and then cool it to 73 -77 degrees before adding> the> > culture packet. In about 20 hours or curds had formed and I stirred it and> > placed it in the frig for an additional 8 hours to " stop the process " as> the> > instructions say. > > > > > > I found both the ready to drink and Yogourmet Kefir similar but the> > Yogourmet was a little thinner and taste more subtle.> > > > > > I have looked and looked and I can't seem to find an explaination on> what> > the difference between freezed dried Kefir like Yogourmet and Kefir> grains.> > I understand that the grains are reuseable but the Yogourmet has 6 packets> > that make a quart each and the packets are good for a long time. While I> am> > learning to like this stuff I know myself well enough to know I will have> to> > take a break from it from time to time. The exp date on the package I have> > is 9/13.> > > > > > Tom> > >> >>

Guest guest

Dear You-all,

There is one more thing about kefir that I forgot to mention. I doubt if there

is an upper limit to eating it. I mean that I was drinking upwards to 6 cups a

day for many months. No problems discerned whatsoever. Then I stopped

suddenly, 5 days ago, to see what would happen and to await Marilyn's kefir

grains. No problem discerned.

Why did I stop with my grains? Probably because I was not doing what Marilyn

said to do. I was leaving the grains in the milk/kefir for 2 or 3 or even 4

days so as to get the kefir as cheesy like as possible. This was a mistake. It

harmed my grains. They stop putting out CO2, and CO2 is good. And they became

slimy and stringy. Do like Marilyn says and leave the grains in the milk/kefir

for only 24 hours and then replace with more milk. Then you just leave the 24

hour old milk/kefir out and let it continue to ferment.

I also destroyed my grains about 9 months ago by putting them in the

refrigerator. You won't want to do that.

I did the math on the economy of kefir. My pasteurized milk costs about $.25

per pound. With kefir, I can make a product that is worth, to me, at least

$7.00 per pound (thank God I don't actually have to pay for it.) That is an

increase in dollar value of at least 28 times. Even if you throw away the whey

or use it to fertilize the garden, and even if you used only raw milk at $10.00

per gallon, it would still be a increase in dollar value of 3.73 times. I am

assuming that kefir is worth at least as much as salmon fillet. And as far as I

am concerned, it is worth more.

Guest guest

Putting the kefir grains in the fridge does not harm them. I do it all the time

and my grains are very healthy and growing, but then again, I don't starve them

either. I give them plenty of milk to feed off of.

Al

Kefir

Dear You-all,

There is one more thing about kefir that I forgot to mention. I doubt if there

is an upper limit to eating it. I mean that I was drinking upwards to 6 cups a

day for many months. No problems discerned whatsoever. Then I stopped

suddenly, 5 days ago, to see what would happen and to await Marilyn's kefir

grains. No problem discerned.

Why did I stop with my grains? Probably because I was not doing what Marilyn

said to do. I was leaving the grains in the milk/kefir for 2 or 3 or even 4

days so as to get the kefir as cheesy like as possible. This was a mistake. It

harmed my grains. They stop putting out CO2, and CO2 is good. And they became

slimy and stringy. Do like Marilyn says and leave the grains in the milk/kefir

for only 24 hours and then replace with more milk. Then you just leave the 24

hour old milk/kefir out and let it continue to ferment.

I also destroyed my grains about 9 months ago by putting them in the

refrigerator. You won't want to do that.

I did the math on the economy of kefir. My pasteurized milk costs about $.25

per pound. With kefir, I can make a product that is worth, to me, at least

$7.00 per pound (thank God I don't actually have to pay for it.) That is an

increase in dollar value of at least 28 times. Even if you throw away the whey

or use it to fertilize the garden, and even if you used only raw milk at $10.00

per gallon, it would still be a increase in dollar value of 3.73 times. I am

assuming that kefir is worth at least as much as salmon fillet. And as far as I

am concerned, it is worth more.

Guest guest

Al,

And how long have you been doing this. It took about 6 months for my grains to

die from doing this.

Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:56:29 -0400

Subject: Re: Kefir

Putting the kefir grains in the fridge does not harm them. I do it all

the time and my grains are very healthy and growing, but then again, I don't

starve them either. I give them plenty of milk to feed off of.

Al

Guest guest

My neighbor who gave my my first grains keeps hers in the refrigerator, she has

been doing that for years. They do fine for her.

Lee Anne, Pennsylvania

>

>

> Al,

>

> And how long have you been doing this. It took about 6 months for my grains

to die from doing this.

>

>

>

>

> From: ouched63188@...

> Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:56:29 -0400

> Subject: Re: Kefir

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Putting the kefir grains in the fridge does not harm them. I do it all

>

>

>

> Al

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Perhaps something else killed off my grains. I intend to thoroughly dry my

rinsed jar before I put the grains in it. I also intend to not leave the grain

in the milk for more than 24 hours.

Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 22:50:29 +0000

Subject: Re: Kefir

My neighbor who gave my my first grains keeps hers in the refrigerator,

she has been doing that for years. They do fine for her.

Lee Anne, Pennsylvania

>

>

> Al,

>

> And how long have you been doing this. It took about 6 months for my grains

to die from doing this.

>

>

>

>

> From: ouched63188@...

> Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:56:29 -0400

> Subject: Re: Kefir

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Putting the kefir grains in the fridge does not harm them. I do it all

>

>

>

> Al

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Why would you put them in the fridge without food for 6 months? I've had this

current set of grains close to a year. My first set I accidentally left them

out for 3 hours on my countertop without milk and exposed to the open air and

anything that may have been flying about and got contaminated. It gave me

chronic diahrreah for about 6 or 7 weeks. But then again, it's possible that I

was doing a major detox, but not sure. I got scared to use the grains again and

just threw them away. I did not try to rinse them off and reculture.

Al

Re: Kefir

Putting the kefir grains in the fridge does not harm them. I do it all the time

and my grains are very healthy and growing, but then again, I don't starve them

either. I give them plenty of milk to feed off of.

Al