Rate this topic

Guest guest

I looked into a DIY version of Cedarcide's Best Yet a couple of years ago and

only found a silane distributor in China, although now it looks like you may be

able to purchase it through a Dow Corning distributor in the US, if you are in

the US.

https://www.xiameter.com/en/AboutUs/Pages/Home.aspx

Here is Dow Corning's product finder page:

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/default.aspx?Ne=429496723\

7 & N=4294950149 & bhcp=1

As far as I know, you need to buy silane in bulk, but if you find out otherwise,

that would be great to know.

myrtle

>

> Amy - thanks for the information. Looked into it and horsetail contains 2-3%

silica. Sounds like a good internal supplement but I'll need a more concentrated

source for environmental use. So far all I've come up with are questionable

looking outfits out of China. And I still don't know which form of hydrated

silica to use:

> http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/hydrated-silica.html

You're hired:)

Discovered another compelling reason to pursue the hydrated silica route. Seems

the silica particles, when used as fog or spray, not only carry given

fungicide/insecticide to target but also provide residual that adheres to and

dehydrates organisms, so what you get is a double whammy:

" Based on the well known properties of absorption and adsorption of hydrated

silica, a large part of the insecticide, fungicide or their mixture is

transported by the siliceous part of the fog more than by the ammonium chloride,

although theirweights in the fog are in inverse relation. But in any event, the

vehicle for the insecticide, pesticide or their mixture are the fog particles,

rather than the fumes or vapor of those substances in themselves.

It can be theorized additionally that the new, original and unexpected results

of the high and immediate lethal effect for insects, as well as the immediate

residual effect, obtained with the invention, are due to the fact that the

solubleammonium chloride particles easily release a large proportion of the

insecticide, fungicide or their mixture, on first contact, to produce the

immediate lethal effect and that that of the pores of the silica (sic) on

adhering to the surfaces of theinsects and the surrounding zones. "

http://www.patents.com/Process-forming-insecticide-andor-fungicide-clouds/US5122\

364/en-US/

In addition to Cedarcide fog applications it's also used in pressurized sprays.

Found a product called Tri-Die that utilizes silica:

" Tri-Die Aerosol combines the repellency of pyrethrin and the long term

stability and repellency of silica dust. " And,

" Pressurized, charged particles penetrate deep into cracks, crevices, wall and

ceiling voids to provide an ideal uniform dust application, readily adhering to

all surfaces. "

Tri-Die uses the Amorphous Silica Dioxide form of HS. I have also seen ASD

referred to as " silica gel. "

Lynn was told Cedarcide uses the same form of silica used in shaving cream. The

mystery continues...

-Buggered

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > You mention cedarcide which sparks a buggered thought (yeah I

know, uh oh). Having investigated the cedarcide website I note only two

components in their highly touted and highly priced insecticide: cedar oil and

hydrated silica, with cedar oil listed as the active ingredient. I contend the

hydrated silica (DE) is actually the active ingredient as cedar oil on it's own

exhibits relatively low efficacy/residual.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > For personal use a sufferer could perhaps throw some DE in a

spray bottle mixed with water, toss in a few drops cedar oil and be good to go?

I am not sure where they come up with the term, hydrated silica other than just

a clandestine way of saying DE. Maybe I'm wrong and HS is something different

from DE. If someone has an in on where to purchase hydrated silica please chime

in.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If anyone gets " offended " at this do-it-yourself proposal

don't be surprised if more than a few sufferers out there think you the troll,

myself included.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Actually I have found that warm enough water will suspend any borate, though Roach Prufe, with its different properties, is tougher to dissolve. Be sure and run clean water through any sprayer after you spray anything, because the contents will dry in the nozzle and it will not work when you need it again.

Even for the small quart spray bottles, I use one to spray Clorox after my showers and then I remove the sprayer, put it into an identical bottle with water, and spray till the Clorox smell is gone. That makes them last much longer. Clorox is REALLY bad on spray mechanisms, as many of you already know!

Love,

katie

From: bobbyboyd99 <bobbyboyd99@...>bird mites Sent: Sun, February 21, 2010 2:03:34 AMSubject: Re: Cedarcide for the Poor Guy

This may be Rita's model. It is inexpensive and water cannister based. I believe KJ or Marie suggested using a water soluble boric acid, like mop up, http://www.doityour selfpest. com/index. php/mop-up- boric-acid- insecticide. htmlas a death bath! I have a kenmore also, and dislike it for when I open the cannister to change the bag, dust and whatevers (DE in there also) always blow up and out at me.http://www.whatever works.com/ itemdy00. asp?c= & SKW= vacuum & SKW2= & TKW=NS04 & Scat= & GEN1= & OR= & parent= & T1=K9434 & PageNo=1 & pos=2> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > No doubt, Lynn. Most of this stuff is way overpriced. I didn't notice the percentage of silica to oil on the msds sheet. I'm also wondering if they don't do something to the oil itself to render it more effective then straight cedar oil. Hmmm. Still, it seems like something most people could safely whip up at home and save themselves a bundle. I'd be interested in hearing from others who have tried this. > > > > > > > > > > -Buggered> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > >

>> > > >> > >> >>

Myrtle - thanks for information. The data sheet I looked at listed hydrated

silica/silicic acid (as opposed to silane) as Best Yet's other ingredient:

http://jple.cedarcide.com/bestyet/pdfdata/bestyetmsds.pdf

If you happen to come across a viable source of the stuff please let me know.

-Buggered

> >

> > Amy - thanks for the information. Looked into it and horsetail contains 2-3%

silica. Sounds like a good internal supplement but I'll need a more concentrated

source for environmental use. So far all I've come up with are questionable

looking outfits out of China. And I still don't know which form of hydrated

silica to use:

> > http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/hydrated-silica.html

>

Thx, when do I start :o)

From: buggeredbymites <no_reply >bird mites Sent: Mon, February 22, 2010 2:23:25 AMSubject: Re: Cedarcide for the Poor Guy

You're hired:) Discovered another compelling reason to pursue the hydrated silica route. Seems the silica particles, when used as fog or spray, not only carry given fungicide/insectici de to target but also provide residual that adheres to and dehydrates organisms, so what you get is a double whammy:"Based on the well known properties of absorption and adsorption of hydrated silica, a large part of the insecticide, fungicide or their mixture is transported by the siliceous part of the fog more than by the ammonium chloride, although theirweights in the fog are in inverse relation. But in any event, the vehicle for the insecticide, pesticide or their mixture are the fog particles, rather than the fumes or vapor of those substances in themselves.It can be theorized additionally that the new, original and unexpected results of the high and immediate lethal effect for insects, as well as the immediate residual effect, obtained with

the invention, are due to the fact that the solubleammonium chloride particles easily release a large proportion of the insecticide, fungicide or their mixture, on first contact, to produce the immediate lethal effect and that that of the pores of the silica (sic) on adhering to the surfaces of theinsects and the surrounding zones."http://www.patents. com/Process- forming-insectic ide-andor- fungicide- clouds/US5122364 /en-US/ In addition to Cedarcide fog applications it's also used in pressurized sprays. Found a product called Tri-Die that utilizes silica:"Tri-Die Aerosol combines the repellency of pyrethrin and the long term stability and repellency of silica dust." And,"Pressurized, charged particles penetrate deep into cracks, crevices, wall and ceiling voids to provide an ideal uniform dust

application, readily adhering to all surfaces."Tri-Die uses the Amorphous Silica Dioxide form of HS. I have also seen ASD referred to as "silica gel." Lynn was told Cedarcide uses the same form of silica used in shaving cream. The mystery continues...-Buggered> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > You mention cedarcide

which sparks a buggered thought (yeah I know, uh oh). Having investigated the cedarcide website I note only two components in their highly touted and highly priced insecticide: cedar oil and hydrated silica, with cedar oil listed as the active ingredient. I contend the hydrated silica (DE) is actually the active ingredient as cedar oil on it's own exhibits relatively low efficacy/residual. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > For personal use a sufferer could perhaps throw some DE in a spray bottle mixed with water, toss in a few drops cedar oil and be good to go? I am not sure where they come up with the term, hydrated silica other than just a clandestine way of saying DE. Maybe I'm wrong and HS is something different from DE. If someone has an in on where to purchase hydrated silica please chime in.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> If anyone gets "offended" at this do-it-yourself proposal don't be surprised if more than a few sufferers out there think you the troll, myself included.> > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

Hi Buggerd and Everyone,

I like the idea of spraying with this silica substance. I am living in my Dad's

rental and unfortunaltey he would freak if he walked in one day and saw powder

or any kind of crap all over the floor or walls so I need something clean

looking. I'm this close from being thrown out. Even though I think he has this

too but he won't be really honest about it. I also see him itching and

scratching and he said he had birds living in his roof. Then I rememberd several

years ago he was sleeping in a different bedroom from his girlfriend which I

thought was weird until now. Also, he is threatening to cut me off with

financial help. What I'm trying to get at is this silica your experimenting with

sounds perfect for my problem. Deadly but invisible is what I need as soon as

possible. I was wondering if by now you found a good combination or recipe of

ingredients so I can put together my own silica fog or spray or whatever.

Also for anyone else whos interested I found a fogging machine at this website,

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/fogmaster-micro-jet-ulv-fogger-7401-p-156.html

Thanks Buggered, for the idea.

Tony

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > You mention cedarcide which sparks a buggered thought (yeah

I know, uh oh). Having investigated the cedarcide website I note only two

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > For personal use a sufferer could perhaps throw some DE in a

spray bottle mixed with water, toss in a few drops cedar oil and be good to go?

I am not sure where they come up with the term, hydrated silica other than just

a clandestine way of saying DE. Maybe I'm wrong and HS is something different

from DE. If someone has an in on where to purchase hydrated silica please chime

in.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > If anyone gets " offended " at this do-it-yourself proposal

don't be surprised if more than a few sufferers out there think you the troll,

myself included.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Thanks Lynn, you are awesome. I might also try craigslist to see I can find

something second hand. I like that title, Cedarcide for the poor guy. I can

totally relate.

Tony

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > You mention cedarcide which sparks a buggered thought

(yeah I know, uh oh). Having investigated the cedarcide website I note only two

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > For personal use a sufferer could perhaps throw some DE

in a spray bottle mixed with water, toss in a few drops cedar oil and be good to

go? I am not sure where they come up with the term, hydrated silica other than

just a clandestine way of saying DE. Maybe I'm wrong and HS is something

different from DE. If someone has an in on where to purchase hydrated silica

please chime in.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > If anyone gets " offended " at this do-it-yourself

proposal don't be surprised if more than a few sufferers out there think you the

troll, myself included.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi All, I think the Diatomaceous Earth has made a big improvement in my personal environment. I used it straight, no borax or other Bug destroyers. I put it under my plastic drawers, in the closet area, under the toilet, under my bed, etc. I feel that this plus borax in my laundry lowered the number of perceived bites at night by over 90% within 2 weeks. DE is dangerous and is miserably messy but I will continue to leave it out, and will replace it if gets too grungy. I am very careful to avoid breathing the dust if I accidentally fluff it up or drop something into it.I continue to use Cedarcide as a lotion on my skin even though my skin is sensitive to everything and is drying out. I had one unpleasant experience with it. It was a day when I ran out of clean sheets and couldn’t get to a washer. I sprayed every bit of my bedding,

layer by layer. My tiny space reeked of CedarCide but it was snowing and I had no place to go so I crawled into bed. Next day my throat was swollen, I had no sense of smell, I had trouble breathing, and it took 2 weeks to begin to get back to normal. Now I avoid spraying the Cedarcide and have cut down on its use.I am worried about all of you with using the silica in foggers and using DE. As you probably know , DE Is made up of microscopic shards of sharp, SILICA shells of ancient sea creatures. When bugs or other invertebrates float onto it or crawl through it they can cut themselves so much that they dry up and die. DE is very light and fluffy and puffs out of its container into the air at any breeze or sneeze. That stuff can’t be good for human lung cells, so be very careful not to breathe the Diatomaceous Earth dust. Wikipedia states that DE works by drying out small critter’s bodies. That isn’t good for

lungs either.http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earthIf you are thinking of using Silica or DE, please follow the link below about silicosis before you do it. Forewarned is forearmed. Please scroll all the way down at least to the part where it says that silicosis is incurable.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilicosisThe CedarCide website states to always wear a respirator mask when using the Tri-Fogger as does the manual. The manufacturer packs respirators in the fogger box when they ship it. If the red cedar oil in Cedarcide is suspended in a water solution of silica what happens when the water and oil evaporate away? I envision a fine dust of silica floating in the air. I will use my fogger, but I will air out the rooms or car before I go into them.Oh my, sorry guys, in rereading this message I sound so

mothery. Oh well, I care about you folks and they don’t call me LaMomForce for nothing. :-)Itsa full moon and I am itchy, stinging, and feel crawly. Even felt a strong bite or 2 which hasn’t happened in weeks. Oh well, the full moon will wane in a few days and hopefully so will my symptoms. Next I work on my inner environment.One quick unrelated question. Does virgin coconut oil need to be refrigerated?Internet Hugs to all.Polly

>

> Horsetail is the source for silica. It is sold as dry leaves and you can just boil it. I am taking and helps with the hip pain and for all source of things. I cost less than 2 dollars. I get it at a Mexican meat market here in San .

> Amy

>

>> > > > > > >

>> > > > > > > You mention cedarcide which sparks a buggered thought (yeah I know, uh oh). Having investigated the cedarcide website I note only two components in their highly touted and highly priced insecticide: cedar oil and hydrated silica, with cedar oil listed as the active ingredient. I contend the hydrated silica (DE) is actually the active ingredient as cedar oil on it's own exhibits relatively low efficacy/residual.

>> > > > > > >

>> > > > > > > For personal use a sufferer could perhaps throw some DE in a spray bottle mixed with water, toss in a few drops cedar oil and be good to go? I am not sure where they come up with the term, hydrated silica other than just a clandestine way of saying DE. Maybe I'm wrong and HS is something different from DE. If someone has an in on where to purchase hydrated silica please chime in.

>> > > > > > >

>> > > > > > > If anyone gets "offended" at this do-it-yourself proposal don't be surprised if more than a few sufferers out there think you the troll, myself included.

>> > > > > >

>> > > > >

>> > > >

>> > >

>> >

>>

>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Now that we are down the road a bit, how has the hydrated silica worked out for you?

Hope it has provided some relief.

Love,

From: tonysvenson <no_reply >bird mites Sent: Wed, February 24, 2010 11:41:42 PMSubject: Re: Cedarcide for the Poor Guy

Thanks Lynn, you are awesome. I might also try craigslist to see I can find something second hand. I like that title, Cedarcide for the poor guy. I can totally relate. Tony> > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > You mention cedarcide which sparks a buggered thought (yeah I know, uh oh). Having investigated the cedarcide website I note only two components in their highly touted and highly priced insecticide: cedar oil and hydrated silica, with cedar oil listed as the active ingredient. I contend the hydrated silica (DE) is actually the active ingredient as cedar oil on it's own exhibits relatively low

efficacy/residual. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > For personal use a sufferer could perhaps throw some DE in a spray bottle mixed with water, toss in a few drops cedar oil and be good to go? I am not sure where they come up with the term, hydrated silica other than just a clandestine way of saying DE. Maybe I'm wrong and HS is something different from DE. If someone has an in on where to purchase hydrated silica please chime in.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If anyone gets "offended" at this do-it-yourself proposal don't be surprised if more than a few sufferers out there think you the troll, myself included.> > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >

>> > > > > > > >> > > > > > >> > > > > >> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>